PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Sandringham - Practice Game

GVGjr
16-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I went along the the game today.

It started 2 hours earlier than originally planned due to the heat but it was well advertised.

Bulldogs listed players consisted of Callan Ward, Jarrad Grant, Lindsay Gilbee and Daniel Giansiracusa.

Ward started as a forward pocket but moved into the midfield at times. He moved very well but was a bit quiet.
Grant started as a defender and was rotating off the ground as well. He looked to be a little underdone.
Gilbee played as a defender and was a very attacking option often pushing into the midfield. His kicking skills were on display and he looks OK for next week.
Giansiracusa played as a midfielder and steadily worked his way into the game.

Sandringham had a strong contingent of Demon listed players inlcuding Cale Morton, Chris Johnson, Cameron Bruce, Paul Wheatley, Lynden Dunn, James Frawley, Clint Bartram, Jared Rivers and Matthew Whelan although a few of these guys played limited minutes.

Dean Galea got reported for the Seagulls with a silly punch to the midriff.

I'll try and write up a bit more later on.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2008, 04:19 PM
How is Gia looking in terms of next week? Would he be up to the standard required, or still a few weeks off?

Thanks for the report as always GVG.

hujsh
16-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you think Gilbee will be 100% (i have dream team investments also)

GVGjr
16-03-2008, 05:02 PM
How is Gia looking in terms of next week? Would he be up to the standard required, or still a few weeks off?

Thanks for the report as always GVG.

Gia looks a little underdone but only slightly. If he was well managed as you would expect then he could get through a game. He ran well in the heat (35 plus when the game was being played) and had no support on his knee.

Gilbee looked fine hujsh. I'm not sure that many players are ever actually 100% but it was the normal Lindsay Gilbee running around and using the ball well.

Shaun Higgins was at the game along with Wayne Campbell. Willy won by 17 points.
Some of the better Williamstown listed players were Jolley, Galea, Brett Johnson, Meyer and Cloke.

bornadog
16-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Gia looks a little underdone but only slightly. If he was well managed as you would expect then he could get through a game. He ran well in the heat (35 plus when the game was being played) and had no support on his knee.

Gilbee looked fine hujsh. I'm not sure that many players are ever actually 100% but it was the normal Lindsay Gilbee running around and using the ball well.

Shaun Higgins was at the game along with Wayne Campbell. Willy won by 17 points.
Some of the better Williamstown listed players were Jolley, Galea, Brett Johnson, Meyer and Cloke.

As an aside, how did Cloke go? Just wondering as he was hoping to be drafted but not sure if he is really up to it any more.

GVGjr
16-03-2008, 05:56 PM
As an aside, how did Cloke go? Just wondering as he was hoping to be drafted but not sure if he is really up to it any more.

He is up to AFL standard and has a far better football brain that what I have given him credit for in the past. He is a good addition for the younger group and certainly displays leadership and direction on the ground and at the breaks.

The problem for him is that he is regarded as a cheap kick getting defender but I think he could offer more than that. A return to the AFL is unlikely but he can play at that level in some capacity.

LostDoggy
16-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Shaun Higgins was at the game along with Wayne Campbell.

Sean wellman was at the game as well, and i think i saw peter dean as well, but not 100% sure on that, Browny(nathan brown) also came along as well, but i think he may have forgot the game time changed, he turned upat about 1.50ish and goes oh did i miss it hehe, good to see he was there to support his good mates gilbs and gia.

Was pretty hot there today, felt for the boys having to be out there playing a game of footy.

Raw Toast
16-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the report.

The fact that Harbrow didn't play and Gia did probably indicates which one of those is pressing for a first round spot.

Be very interesting to see who we select as emergencies. Tim Callan must be close to getting a game against the Crows even though his practice match form hasn't warranted it.

hujsh
16-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks GVGjr

Was there a reserves match and did any dogs play in that?

GVGjr
16-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks GVGjr

Was there a reserves match and did any dogs play in that?

I got there into the last quarter on the early game however, without player numbers on the back I didn't really sight anyone of notice.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Interesting GVGjr, certainly difficult conditions to play in

I'll be disappointed if Gia is selected in round 1, i think they need to get more game time under his belt, and by the same logic Harbrow should not be considered.l

Sounds like Willy are easing the kids Grant and Ward into it nicely, even if they aren't setting the world on fire yet.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for posting up a report GVG,

Good to see Gia and Gilbee getting a run. They will both desperately want to be in the team in Round 1 especially to share the moment of playing alongside Johnno on his 300th game. Hopefully they will both be right and raring to go.

Dry Rot
16-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Good report. Thanks.

What does Lake's absence tell us?

GVGjr
16-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Interesting GVGjr, certainly difficult conditions to play in

I'll be disappointed if Gia is selected in round 1, i think they need to get more game time under his belt, and by the same logic Harbrow should not be considered.l

Sounds like Willy are easing the kids Grant and Ward into it nicely, even if they aren't setting the world on fire yet.

Gia will probably be given the extra week. It makes sense unless there are a few other concerns.

Good report. Thanks.

At best 40/60 I would guess.

Cyberdoggie
19-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Good report. Thanks.

he's still injured.

i heard rnd 2 but i'd bet 3rd round

Dry Rot
19-03-2008, 04:05 PM
he's still injured.

i heard rnd 2 but i'd bet 3rd round

Thanks. Bad news to start the season with. :(

Go_Dogs
19-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks. Bad news to start the season with. :(

No Lake confirmed. Not a good start...

dogman
19-03-2008, 06:51 PM
No Lake confirmed. Not a good start...

By who?

Heard today a live interview with Eade on SEN, he said Lake will play. He had trained really well.

Mantis
19-03-2008, 06:59 PM
By who?

Heard today a live interview with Eade on SEN, he said Lake will play. He had trained really well.

Some much needed good news.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2008, 07:08 PM
By who?

Great to hear...I assumed the above posts confirmed it. If he's in, that really helps our cause a lot.

Templeton31
19-03-2008, 07:33 PM
whats happened to Lynch? havent heard anything about him in training/practice match reports but he's not on injured list. this time last year he'd kicked 3 on NAB cup debut at Manuka...

mjp
19-03-2008, 07:57 PM
whats happened to Lynch? havent heard anything about him in training/practice match reports but he's not on injured list. this time last year he'd kicked 3 on NAB cup debut at Manuka...

Pretty sure he has a bad hammy.

GVGjr
19-03-2008, 08:06 PM

T31, he is on the latest injury list thread that I posted. Another 4 weeks with a hammy.

GVGjr
20-03-2008, 08:42 AM
The Seagulls are playing the Scorpions at Casey Fields this Saturday if anyone is interested.
The reserves start at 10.20am and the seniors at 1.10pm.

Templeton31
20-03-2008, 11:52 AM
T31, he is on the latest injury list thread that I posted. Another 4 weeks with a hammy.

Thanks GVG & mjp. I missed that one. must've done his hammy good and proper by the sound of things. I wish rocket hadnt gone on in January about how few injuries we had - we seem to have goen down like 9-pins ever since.

GVGjr
20-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks GVG & mjp. I missed that one. must've done his hammy good and proper by the sound of things. I wish rocket hadnt gone on in January about how few injuries we had - we seem to have goen down like 9-pins ever since.

It has been a very long recovery from his hammy but hopefully he is going OK.

I should have another report from the game this weekend.

The Underdog
21-03-2008, 12:46 PM
The Seagulls are playing the Scorpions at Casey Fields this Saturday if anyone is interested.
The reserves start at 10.20am and the seniors at 1.10pm.

I might go if I can convince the better half to drive me, as it's not too far away. I'm still not allowed to drive a car or operate heavy machinery for a acoule of days. If so i'll try and do a report