PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned. Round sixteen 2021 v North Melbourne

Twodogs
03-07-2021, 07:13 PM
OK so tell us three things you've learned today.

Twodogs
04-07-2021, 11:52 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2021, 11:58 PM
1. Garcia definitely has something to work with.

2. Sweet might be average but we need him so that English can play to his strengths more. God we need a fit Martin for finals.

3. Next week is a huge test - Swans in form, will set themselves for us, we look tired and we'll be without Naughton.

Twodogs
05-07-2021, 12:06 AM
1. We are going to have to manage a few guys over the next couple of weeks
2. We've done exceptionally well to get through the last 4 rounds 3/1.
3. Weighrman is a jet.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2021, 12:08 AM
1. Our later drafting of kids is outstanding after watching both games today. Garcia has ‘it’, Butler (BOG), Bedendo (12 Goals in his first 8 VFL games) plus guys like Young, VDM, Khamis, McNeil, Gardner, Sweet, Scott etc. etc.

2. Young needs to stay in the team. He has sung the song in every AFL & VFL game he’s played this year. Good old fashioned utility.

3. Weightman is another who will bring people to the ground.

bornadog
05-07-2021, 12:13 AM
1. We seem to cruise today without putting the peddle down.

2. The weakest link is the ruck - Martin needs to come back in soon

3. Good to see the small players get some goals with Weightman 4, Wally 3, and Libba 2,

Mutz
05-07-2021, 12:28 AM
1. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Weightman since he cracked the big time but today he showed he has even more tricks in his bag.

2. I've been concerned about Naughton's aggressive and fearless approach to the footy and this concussion was inevitable. I just hope he’s not going to end his career early like Picken (although he does seem to stay more in control than Liam when flying high).

3. Dogs seemed tired tonight, not chasing in packs and not working together, this was most obvious in the last qtr (I'd love to see the individual and team Telstra tracker data - is it available to the public?). The openness of the game brought back horror memories when we leaked goals way too easily (e.g. Carlton and Saints over past few years) but our defence did another excellent job tonight. Is it that we were tired due to the covid-extended travel? If so, then I want to see us back to our best running game next week against the surging Swans.

Extra. Young can ruck - he won tap outs against Goldy at centre bounces, as well as ball-ups and throw-ins. He is clearly athletic and able to jump high and into the other ruck, something that I wish English would try rather than dancing around the circle (and he should wear a decent shin pad like Martin). Further on Tim, we need to use him more effectively around the ground - this is the strongest part of his game.

westdog54
05-07-2021, 01:51 AM
1. Weightman might be our most marketable player.
2. Next week is a massive test without Naughton. Win and we're rightly premiership favourites.
3. Bailey Dale has the club 'Most improved' award in the bag. Commentators were talking him up for AA consideration.

jeemak
05-07-2021, 04:21 AM
1. We're finally good enough to win games going half paced.

2. The worst teams can push us to a five goal deficit when we stand off and allow dominance against in uncontested possessions and marks.

3. People hate seagulls

AshMac
05-07-2021, 06:58 AM
1. We showed a hallmark of top clubs yesterday; a ~30 pt win in 2nd gear

2. Naughton really is the centrepiece of our forward line. Took us a while against the cats and thought we lost our groove going in there when he went down

3. We looked tired over the game but particularly in the last quarter - understandable given our last fortnight

Bumper Bulldogs
05-07-2021, 07:35 AM
1. Dale, Smith, Richards and Daniel are all ahead of JJ off half back

2. Weightman, Wallis and McLean are ahead of JJ in the F50

3. Fall from Grace but he is fighting for a spot against Hannan, McNeil etc

AshMac
05-07-2021, 07:47 AM

The next ambassador of the dogs kids club?

Mofra
05-07-2021, 09:51 AM
1. A mature ruck is definitely a bigger need than another KPD at trade time

2. We will live and die by our midfield. If we don't defend the corridor well (which we didn't for patches of the game yesterday) we will lose. If we do, we win.

3. There's a fine line between courage and reckless. Naughton is the new Liam Picken

Sedat
05-07-2021, 10:35 AM
2. The worst teams can push us to a five goal deficit when we stand off and allow dominance against in uncontested possessions and marks.
Notionally they are bottom of the ladder but in the last month of footy they are a mid table team on all metrics - completely different team from the one we toyed with on Good Friday. They will win some more games in the run home.

comrade
05-07-2021, 10:37 AM
Notionally they are bottom of the ladder but in the last month of footy they are a mid table team on all metrics - completely different team from the one we toyed with on Good Friday. They will win some more games in the run home.

They're being carried by some excellent experienced players in Cunnington, Goldy and Tarrant with some good younger players starting to show a bit. They're definitely not the worst team in it right now. Pick 1 is up for grabs.

comrade
05-07-2021, 10:51 AM
1. Another defensively minded, big body is required in the midfield to help us overcome our ruck deficiency. Thank Bont that Dunkley is back soon.

2. Cordy can not be used in switch scenarios. He has been rock solid in 1 on 1 duals (apart from the one against Goldy where he was hung out to dry by Keath) but his decision making with the ball is such a momentum killer. Generally takes a good 10-20 seconds to decide where he wants to kick it then inevitably makes a pretty average decision anyway (either too safe, or too risky).

3. Scott is not a defender and I hope we only saw him back in D50 to cover Richards (or JJ when he was resting). Much better suited playing a harassing support role inside our own 50.

Mantis
05-07-2021, 11:17 AM
They're being carried by some excellent experienced players in Cunnington, Goldy and Tarrant with some good younger players starting to show a bit. They're definitely not the worst team in it right now. Pick 1 is up for grabs.

They were actually more experienced to a man than us today, 92 games to 98. They obviously have quite a few more players that have played under 50 games (4 vs 9), but they should be putting in consistently decent performances given their profile.

merantau
05-07-2021, 12:12 PM
1. Garcia is going to make it

2. Weightman has made it.

3. We need Martin back but in the meantime I think Lewis Young is a solid option to spend time in the ruck alongside English.

SonofScray
05-07-2021, 03:46 PM
1. Lewis Young could be very important. I'd like him in the side, though I don't really want his inclusion to be as the quasi-ruck, neo-Dunkley. I want that tall, 2nd/3rd defender taking grabs in the backline and competing up the line when they go for the clearing kick.

2. Games like this are part of life when we know what we've got on our hands. There aren't too many questions left for this squad to answer, that can be answered in the regular season. It is an unusual feeling as a fan. Trying to enjoy the ride, but really just want to sink our teeth into the stuff that is going to tell the full story. A flag beckons. It is going to be a different sort fo feeling, more perilous as a fan.

3. Our long sleeved jumper need a red cuff on the end of the sleeve too.

comrade
05-07-2021, 03:51 PM
2. Games like this are part of life when we know what we've got on our hands. There aren't too many questions left for this squad to answer, that can be answered in the regular season. It is an unusual feeling as a fan. Trying to enjoy the ride, but really just want to sink our teeth into the stuff that is going to tell the full story. A flag beckons. It is going to be a different sort fo feeling, more perilous as a fan.

I'm more worried about injuries now. We literally can't get through a game without losing someone.

ratsmac
05-07-2021, 03:54 PM
1. Young offers more than Gardner if you ask me. Great marking display

2. Wallis offers more than Hannan if you ask me

3. Bevo can be arrogant. He used North to try some things. At one point Naughton and Bruce on the bench with Weightman playing out of the goal square. I don't know if it's really arrogant or not but I liked that he wasn't scared to shuffle things around to keep the opposition guessing.

westdog54
05-07-2021, 04:06 PM
The next ambassador of the dogs kids club?

Has to be. Natural choice.

Murphy'sLore
05-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Cody's Clubhouse.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Cody's Clubhouse.

How about Cody's Cubbyhouse.

comrade
05-07-2021, 04:20 PM
The Flea Pit

jeemak
05-07-2021, 04:54 PM
The Flea Circus.

bornadog
05-07-2021, 05:06 PM
The kids loved Dahl when he was around. I remember at a season launch, he came and sat next to me, and next thing we were surrounded by about 20 kids. Boy was I happy when he realised he was at the wrong table. I am pretty sure he copped it all night.

Cody looks like a guy that the kids would love.

mjp
05-07-2021, 05:14 PM
1. Garcia is going to make it

2. Weightman has made it.

Garcia going ok and Weightman quite a bit better than that...BUT - 20 game rule!!!

SquirrelGrip
05-07-2021, 05:31 PM
1. Lewis Young could be very important. I'd like him in the side, though I don't really want his inclusion to be as the quasi-ruck, neo-Dunkley. I want that tall, 2nd/3rd defender taking grabs in the backline and competing up the line when they go for the clearing kick.

Could Zaine be that quasi-ruck instead? He's always enjoyed a contest and 2016 should remind of his utility value.

DOG GOD
05-07-2021, 05:46 PM
1. Gardner should never play over Young again. Young is best 22. Give him go FFS
2. Martin is very much needed for finals. Not sure we can win it without him.
3. Weightman has exceeded my expectations….so far

AshMac
05-07-2021, 06:02 PM

What are the chances Tarrant is gettable at the end of the year and has a couple left in him?

Axe Man
05-07-2021, 08:06 PM
The kids loved Dahl when he was around. I remember at a season launch, he came and sat next to me, and next thing we were surrounded by about 20 kids. Boy was I happy when he realised he was at the wrong table. I am pretty sure he copped it all night.

Cody looks like a guy that the kids would love.

My kids love him. Still being young the more recognisable the player the better for them, so he needs to keep the hair!

azabob
05-07-2021, 08:11 PM
1. Gardner should never play over Young again. Young is best 22. Give him go FFS

I see Garnder as a lock down defender.

I see Young competing with Cordy and Keath for a spot in the team.

EasternWest
05-07-2021, 08:32 PM

Am I a joke to you?

https://i.postimg.cc/SNfHh8vx/images.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

SonofScray
05-07-2021, 09:16 PM

Sort of agree. Gardy is the full meat and potatoes, glove in the six. Sum of his parts is greater than the whole etc. That being said, I think Young is capable of playing that role too. He can cover the ground, showed he is brave in the contest and athletic enough to compete in the air.

comrade
05-07-2021, 09:18 PM

I see Gardner and Cordy as similar types. Both stoppers, not much run from half back or intercepting. Both are average kicks.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-07-2021, 10:37 PM
There's a fine line between courage and reckless. Naughton is the new Liam Picken

So do you think we should make him wear the headgear just like Daniel every week. He has before and it worked ok.

hujsh
05-07-2021, 11:48 PM
Am I a joke to you?

https://i.postimg.cc/SNfHh8vx/images.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
Literally out there converting the offspring of champions from other clubs to our colours.