PDA

View Full Version : Sam Mitchell to take over from Clarkson in 2023

bulldogtragic
06-07-2021, 02:35 PM
Breaking now.

No word on what Clarko is doing after next year.

comrade
06-07-2021, 02:41 PM
Breaking now.

No word on what Clarko is doing after next year.

How much will the AFL pay him to go up to GC?

bulldogtragic
06-07-2021, 02:42 PM
How much will the AFL pay him to go up to GC?

A shit load. Then take that head coach out of the soft cap.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2021, 05:30 PM
So Hawks link this with Collingwood's vacancy?
Despite the clause linking Clarko to Hawks for a year, surely he goes to Collingwood and Mitchell straight into head coach of Hawks.

Grantysghost
06-07-2021, 05:34 PM
Despite the clause linking Clarko to Hawks for a year, surely he goes to Collingwood and Mitchell straight into head coach of Hawks.

That's my read.

Clarkson will see out the year, then coach pies. Theyll make him a godfather offer.
Harvey will see out the year as caretaker, then probably go back to assist Clarko.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2021, 05:44 PM
That's my read.

Clarkson will see out the year, then coach pies. Theyll make him a godfather offer.
Harvey will see out the year as caretaker, then probably go back to assist Clarko.

I like the idea of the Collingwood with a horse head in the bed.
Ted got chicken hearts.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Speaking of beds, Collingwood and Hawthorn are in one together.
Desperately seeking Susan.

comrade
07-07-2021, 11:19 AM
Bold call pushing out the best coach they've ever had for an untried one. If any club can make it work though, I'd back Hawthorn to be the one.

comrade
30-07-2021, 12:03 PM
Clarko and Hawks to part ways at the end of the season, maybe even sooner.

Grantysghost
30-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Clarko and Hawks to part ways at the end of the season, maybe even sooner.

I guess all good things must come to an end. He's got to be a favourite for the Pies now you'd think?

comrade
30-07-2021, 12:13 PM
I guess all good things must come to an end. He's got to be a favourite for the Pies now you'd think?

You would imagine the honchos at the Pies and the Blues are hitting the phones hard today.

Axe Man
30-07-2021, 12:23 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/LsZfydVv/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Twodogs
30-07-2021, 12:29 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/LsZfydVv/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Just the four flags. No wonder they axed him.

Happy Days
30-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Kennett seems to have been desperate to sack Clarko since around October 2015, and I’ve never been able to figure out for the life of me why.

If Mitchell turns out to be the best coach ever then he will be at best as good as Clarkson.

comrade
30-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Any chance the AFL just hands Clarko a blank cheque to take the reigns at the Suns?

MrMahatma
30-07-2021, 12:42 PM
Crazy days. I’d say he’ll go to the Pies but would personally choose the Blues based on their list. Depends on their salary cap though… might be in for pain before they’re on the right path though.

I’m not sure any experienced coach would go to the Suns, unless it was a genuine last hurrah.

comrade
30-07-2021, 12:56 PM
Now, which player can we squeeze out of the Hawks amidst all this turmoil?

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Free Agency for Clarko (& $1,000,000).

EasternWest
30-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Kennett seems to have been desperate to sack Clarko since around October 2015, and I’ve never been able to figure out for the life of me why.

Because Kennett is a subhuman arsehole without a shred of redeemability?

Thanks for the free hit.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Now, which player can we squeeze out of the Hawks amidst all this turmoil?

Not much going on in their list in ruck or KPD. Flip side, they might need to cut costs next year just to free up a million to piss Clarko off out of there. I wonder if they might pay some of a big salary to move it on. If they covered half of a Wingard type for a nothing pick, that’s better (if he go back to the AA forward type) than their thin stocks. I know the two caps are separate, but the cash comes from the same place.

comrade
30-07-2021, 01:09 PM
Not much going on in their list in ruck or KPD. Flip side, they might need to cut costs next year just to free up a million to piss Clarko off out of there. I wonder if they might pay some of a big salary to move it on. If they covered half of a Wingard type for a nothing pick, that’s better (if he go back to the AA forward type) than their thin stocks. I know the two caps are separate, but the cash comes from the same place.

I'm keen on Ben McEvoy for a few years.

Grantysghost
30-07-2021, 01:14 PM
I'm feeling the Blues just will be salivating right now, they've got a history of recycling premiership coaches too.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 01:19 PM
I'm keen on Ben McEvoy for a few years.

Then, me too. After Martin this year it’s buyer beware. He’s 33 next year, and he’s under contract. Seems a bit risky for mine.

EasternWest
30-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Then, me too. After Martin this year it’s buyer beware. He’s 33 next year, and he’s under contract. Seems a bit risky for mine.
McEvoy has been a bit more durable than stupid, sexy Steph Martin though hasn't he?

comrade
30-07-2021, 01:22 PM

From Fox Footy:

Captain Ben McEvoy, who remains a staunch supporter of Clarkson and didn’t like the fact the club was getting rid of the coaching great, is understood to have voiced his angst to senior officials in recent weeks.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 01:27 PM
From Fox Footy:

Walks out for free? Future 4th for him and Pick 66. I’m listening.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2021, 01:41 PM
What a shambles for Hawthorn.

They're paying the best coach (arguably ever) $1M not to coach them, just so a completely untried coach can takeover? That is absolute madness.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Yet now The Age has it as "an extraordinary turn of events".
It stuck out like the proverbial appendage.
The child in me says Hawthorn, suffer in your jocks!
Never did like Ted or Phil Hay and definitely not John Peck!

They beat us against the odds in'61 then they had enough premierships for five lifetimes but during our one life.
Happy for them to be a rabble and cellar dwellers here on in till I go to the footy ground in the sky.

Mofra
30-07-2021, 02:15 PM
Ben Dixon's rant a few days ago is biting him back really, really hard right now

Happy Days
30-07-2021, 02:24 PM
A lot of people owe Caro an apology (as per usual).

bornadog
30-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Well all the macho men on the various Footy shows had a go at Caroline Wilson. I hope they turn around and apologise.

Dancin' Douggy
30-07-2021, 02:44 PM
A lot of people owe Caro an apology (as per usual).

I look forward to all the apologies over the next few days. A veritable conga line of apologies.

Dancin' Douggy
30-07-2021, 02:45 PM
How goddamn stupid and destructive is Jeff Kennett.

bornadog
30-07-2021, 03:00 PM

Always has been

azabob
30-07-2021, 03:28 PM

If Mitchell turns out to be the best coach ever then he will be at best as good as Clarkson.

mate try since 2005/2006.

The only reason Clarkson survived was because Dunstall had his back.

Mofra
30-07-2021, 03:33 PM
There's been some suggestion it was Clarko's manager leaking to Caro.
Wouldn't surprise me if Clarko had outsmarted everyone else at the Hawks one final time. Gets paid a million bucks next year to do whatever he wants.

Grantysghost
30-07-2021, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Clarko had outsmarted everyone else at the Hawks one final time. Gets paid a million bucks next year to do whatever he wants.

I think that's spot on. He knew he wasn't staying from the get go, said the opposite until he got the pay out he wanted.

The Doctor
30-07-2021, 03:49 PM

He was past his use by date when he got dumped as Premier. I was thrilled when he re-took the Hawks Presidency.

The Doctor
30-07-2021, 03:51 PM

Wouldn't surprise me. I used to know Henderson in a past life. Was a bit of a weasel. But a good strategy.

westdog54
30-07-2021, 04:11 PM

Because Clarko is the most important and powerful person at the club, and Jeff can't tolerate a person being more powerful and popular than him.

SquirrelGrip
30-07-2021, 04:16 PM
If you were Clarkson, would you go to Collingwood or Carlton or neither?

The Doctor
30-07-2021, 05:03 PM

I'd wait for Gold Coast & AFL to approach.

Grantysghost
30-07-2021, 05:08 PM
I'd wait for Gold Coast & AFL to approach.

He could do a Paul Roos with Melbourne. Cha Ching.

merantau
30-07-2021, 06:09 PM

They beat us against the odds in'61 then they had enough premierships for five lifetimes but during our one life.
Happy for them to be a rabble and cellar dwellers here on in till I go to the footy ground in the sky.

"Sted" Hay. I have disliked ALL of Hawthorn since 1961. Their suppotrters are mostly insufferable. I suspect most of them barrack for Brazil and Manchestef United.

macca
30-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Clarkson has had enough!

Kennet has gotten his wish.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/655217/hawthorn-needed-to-free-itself-from-my-shadow-clarko-on-shock-exit

Twodogs
30-07-2021, 07:58 PM

I do like that post. One of my favourite ever!

GVGjr
30-07-2021, 08:05 PM

Did I hear that if he takes another job as a coach the 1M the Hawks should pay him will be reduced significantly.

I hope he takes a job in the media for a year and the Hawks work with his salary on their books.

Twodogs
30-07-2021, 08:07 PM

Always has been

He was past his use by date when he got dumped as Premier. I was thrilled when he re-took the Hawks Presidency.

Because Clarko is the most important and powerful person at the club, and Jeff can't tolerate a person being more powerful and popular than him.

Kennett thrives on a crisis and if he is left to his own devices will create one if one doesn't exist. It makes his the El Presidente and he looks like he is the firm hand in charge. He'd rather wreck the place than stand down or cede leadership/responsibility to somebody else. He's the Vladimir Putin of Australian football right down to changing the rules in order to stay in charge.

Thank the Lord he was voted out in 1999.

westdog54
30-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Did I hear that if he takes another job as a coach the 1M the Hawks should pay him will be reduced significantly.

I hope he takes a job in the media for a year and the Hawks work with his salary on their books.

There would surely be a no compete clause in the payout.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 08:22 PM

Carlton & Collingwood are not competitive, even with Clarko. Should be fine.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Reporting now, Clarko paid out. But every dollar earned next year from coaching is deducted from his payout.

He can coach for $1 and virtually not impact it. Or hit the media for 12 months and freely earn two incomes.

macca
30-07-2021, 08:32 PM
That’s classic politics Kennet . Create the problem , withhold the funds and then somehow find the money and support to fix it

There was never a problem to begin with. Clarko is rebuilding the list and that will take time

Clarkson He stripped down the club of Politics and favourtism and got the right players with the right attitude. The ones who did not fall in line went had to be moved on anyhow as they were past their best footy. Only old player left was Crawford by the time they had their premiership tilt

macca
30-07-2021, 08:34 PM
Reporting now, Clarko paid out. But every dollar earned next year from coaching is deducted from his payout.

He can coach for $1 and virtually not impact it. Or hit the media for 12 months and freely earn two incomes.

Clarko looking a winner of this at any angles . Remember hawk members at next agm

Pyrrhic victory for you Kennett

GVGjr
30-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Maybe but I'm not sure AFL contracts are that watertight.
They would want him to take another job at a club which reduces what they owe him

Perhaps Collingwood or Carlton could offer him a 3 year deal and back end the contract :) They have some form in that area :)

macca
30-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Clarko come work for us : 4 year deal on $1 first year , and next 3 year name your terms !

Mofra
30-07-2021, 10:21 PM
Carlton.
Collingwood are in huge trouble

westdog54
31-07-2021, 12:32 AM
Maybe but I'm not sure AFL contracts are that watertight.
They would want him to take another job at a club which reduces what they owe him

Perhaps Collingwood or Carlton could offer him a 3 year deal and back end the contract :) They have some form in that area :)

I can't see Clarkson going out of his way to do the board a favour. Not after the way this has played out.

Go_Dogs
31-07-2021, 08:01 AM

He’s getting $500k each year apparently. So he’d have to sit 2 years to not impact it. Smart of Hawkers to stretch it.

soupman
31-07-2021, 09:52 AM
God damn this is so dumb. He's the best coach of at least the last 20 years and is still going ok, imagine wilfully pushing that guy out the door. Sam Mitchell may be the second coming but so was James Hird, Nathan Buckley and Michael Voss. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and Clarkson is a majestic bird.

From a best fit for Clarkson pov (payout deal aside) i think there are two clubs that would be super interesting.

GWS have long had an abundance of talent and interesting culture, but a coach that has been unconvinced in his ability to extract it. Clarkson to the Giants could be the making of them and rescue them from the mediocrity they seem to have settled into post Grand Final after a very promising first few years.

Port Adelaide are the other. Under Hinkley they have generally been good, but lacked the ability to take the next step to be better than the other good sides. With a great young group to work with, and a couple of old guys just hanging on, Clarkson could be the guy to push them up into that top echelon. Was an assistant coach there pre Hawks too so has a bit of a connection.

Collingwood and Carlton are two boring options that I hope he doesn't take.

SquirrelGrip
31-07-2021, 10:15 AM
God damn this is so dumb. He's the best coach of at least the last 20 years and is still going ok, imagine wilfully pushing that guy out the door. Sam Mitchell may be the second coming but so was James Hird, Nathan Buckley and Michael Voss. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and Clarkson is a majestic bird.

From a best fit for Clarkson pov (payout deal aside) i think there are two clubs that would be super interesting.

GWS have long had an abundance of talent and interesting culture, but a coach that has been unconvinced in his ability to extract it. Clarkson to the Giants could be the making of them and rescue them from the mediocrity they seem to have settled into post Grand Final after a very promising first few years.

Port Adelaide are the other. Under Hinkley they have generally been good, but lacked the ability to take the next step to be better than the other good sides. With a great young group to work with, and a couple of old guys just hanging on, Clarkson could be the guy to push them up into that top echelon. Was an assistant coach there pre Hawks too so has a bit of a connection.

Collingwood and Carlton are two boring options that I hope he doesn't take.

A Clarkson-coached Port Adelaide would be a team to fear for a decade.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2021, 10:18 AM
A Clarkson-coached Port Adelaide would be a team to fear for a decade.

Here’s hoping Kochie is loyal to Hinkley. I don’t like that version of Port either.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 05:22 PM
I wonder if Clarko would be interested in jobs in Melbourne other than Carlton & Collingwood.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 05:23 PM
I wonder if Clarko would be interested in jobs in Melbourne other than Carlton & Collingwood.

Im angry, so yes.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Im angry, so yes.

Which club?

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 05:26 PM
Which club?

I can’t say the name I’m too annoyed!

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 05:29 PM
I can’t say the name I’m too annoyed!

It’s good to know some of us connected to the club are upset and annoyed. We might be the only ones.