PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 20 Vs Adelaide 2021

Scraggers
23-07-2021, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 19 match against Melbourne for our Round 20, 2021 match against Adelaide (Day, Time and Location To Be Confirmed) ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
24-07-2021, 10:17 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
24-07-2021, 10:58 PM
In: Dunkley, Young or Wood
Out: Keath & Richards (inj)

Bullies
24-07-2021, 11:40 PM
In: Dunkley Wood Scott
Out: Keath Richards R Smith

GVGjr
24-07-2021, 11:42 PM
Can we keep Roarke Smith in this team?

Richards and Keath are out with injuries but I would add R.Smith to the outs

Ins Dunkley, Young and Lipinski

Happy Days
24-07-2021, 11:42 PM
In: Dunkley Wood Scott
Out: Keath Richards R Smith

Same for me. Loathe to make unforced changes but Roarke did full on nothing tonight.

macca
24-07-2021, 11:49 PM
out: JJ, Richards,Keith
In: Dunkley, Wood, Scott

I would keep R.Smith, i think he plays an important negativing role. Its hard to see that on TV as some of the work he does is off screen.
JJ needs to lift his intensity , lay more tackles and take a mark.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-07-2021, 11:51 PM
Wood has to come in with Keath out.. we don't have any other options do we?

Scott might be looked at, but geez, late when it was on the line he did some good things.
But Roarke chinned Oliver... that was good...

josie
24-07-2021, 11:57 PM
In: Dunkley and Wood
Out:Richards and Keath

westbulldog
25-07-2021, 12:31 AM
In Dunkley, Young, Wood
Out Keith, Richards, JJ

divvydan
25-07-2021, 12:34 AM
Thought Roarke Smith and Ed Langdon had a nil all draw tonight on the outer wing. That's a win for us. Would keep him in for someone like Smith/Seedsman next week.

Happy Days
25-07-2021, 12:41 AM
Thought Roarke Smith and Ed Langdon had a nil all draw tonight on the outer wing. That's a win for us. Would keep him in for someone like Smith/Seedsman next week.

Great point. Langdon’s been awesome and was a non-factor tonight.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2021, 12:42 AM
In: Dunks, Wood
Out: Richards, Keath

Sub: Vanders

Really dependent on how the scratch match goes too.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 12:56 AM

Bevo:

In more positive injury news, Easton Wood and Laitham Vandermeer both emerged unscathed from a scratch match played on Saturday afternoon.

“I thought Easton played pretty well in the scratch match coming back from an ankle injury,” Beveridge said.

“He was really productive and played with some freedom.

“And Vanders – we had limited game time for him today, he played a half and then ran.. We’d probably like to see him a bit more at state level and grow that confidence again in him.”

Bulldog4life
25-07-2021, 01:32 AM
For me only necessary changes.

jazzadogs
25-07-2021, 01:37 AM

My own thoughts, backed up by Bevo's comments, are that Vanders is not a walk-up start. I would still have Mcneill ahead of him at least, until he gets some fitness and confidence at VFL level.

Before I Die
25-07-2021, 08:10 AM
Out: Keath Richards
In: Ronnie Wood & Dunks

Or maybe Vander and Young

I should stop now.

Hotdog60
25-07-2021, 08:33 AM

I should stop now.

Yes please before it becomes a long and winding road.

Mantis
25-07-2021, 09:12 AM
In- Dunkley, Young, Wood
Out - Keath, Richards, JJ, Scott

Can’t see how we take out 2 defenders and only bring in a defender & mid like many have suggested.

Even though forecast is for wind & rain Adel are tall in attack so not keen for more than one defender to give away height so for that reason Young plays.

Jam Donuts
25-07-2021, 09:53 AM

I should stop now.

You Sir, are a genius, please never stop,

azabob
25-07-2021, 10:01 AM
I liked Scott’s game last night and I like to somehow squeeze him in.

comrade
25-07-2021, 10:04 AM
I liked Scott’s game last night and I like to somehow squeeze him in.

I think he's gunning for JJ's role. Doesn't have the speed but his pressure and defensive efforts are superior. I also feel like he's more capable of clunking a mark inside 50 when we need it.

azabob
25-07-2021, 10:09 AM
I think he's gunning for JJ's role. Doesn't have the speed but his pressure and defensive efforts are superior. I also feel like he's more capable of clunking a mark inside 50 when we need it.

Yeah good call. As the games get hotter we certainly need everyone on the same page.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Out: Keath, Richards
In: Young, Dunkley.

Daniel to spend more time behind the ball than he has recently with Richards out.

Wood to have another week before he’s in the mix.

If Wood is absolutely ready and we need another defender, then Roarke is my omission.

GVGjr
25-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Out: Keath, Richards
In: Young, Dunkley.

Daniel to spend more time behind the ball than he has recently with Richards out.

Wood to have another week before he’s in the mix.

If Wood is absolutely ready and we need another defender, then Roarke is my omission.

I think we need to be ultra cautious with Wood but he's been able to come back earlier than expected in injury challenges over the years.

1eyedog
25-07-2021, 05:31 PM
I would like to get JJ out of the team he was brim full of half-arsed efforts last night.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-07-2021, 06:46 PM
I would like to get JJ out of the team he was brim full of half-arsed efforts last night.

I like JJ, however I really think he has lost his Mojo. It has all been down hill for him he since he has been moved off half back. Clearly Dale, Daniel and Duryea are a mile in front of him. His weapon is his pace but it’s not a factor in the guessed half and his gets lost in play. He needs the game I front of him. For me he is lucky we have so many injuries as with Keith, Richards, Wood, Adams, McClean and VDM ahead of him. JJ is playing fit his life. The problem is that it’s like when he hit tagged. He hasn’t got the ticket to work through it.

Mofra
25-07-2021, 06:51 PM
My own thoughts, backed up by Bevo's comments, are that Vanders is not a walk-up start. I would still have Mcneill ahead of him at least, until he gets some fitness and confidence at VFL level.
If VDM was fit I'd have him in for JJ
I'm not as down on JJ's form as some, but I love the way he plays. Garcia & VDM are both in the side for me, keep one of them on the F50 arc at all times.

mjp
25-07-2021, 08:49 PM
You Sir, are a genius, please never stop,

To be fair, it was:

Out: Michael Taylor
In: Ronnie Wood.

We don't have a Michael or a Taylor rn tho.

Sedat
25-07-2021, 08:57 PM
Keath Richards has been indestructible until last night

ratsmac
25-07-2021, 10:39 PM
I think Young has to come in. If we are planning on playing Schache on Tex we could be giving them a 5 goal head start. Schache was good the other night but I would like another option height wise in defence.

Out: Keith, Richards

In: Dunkley, Young

I wouldn't risk Woods hammies in a freezing Ballarat

1eyedog
25-07-2021, 11:14 PM
I like JJ, however I really think he has lost his Mojo. It has all been down hill for him he since he has been moved off half back. Clearly Dale, Daniel and Duryea are a mile in front of him. His weapon is his pace but it’s not a factor in the guessed half and his gets lost in play. He needs the game I front of him. For me he is lucky we have so many injuries as with Keith, Richards, Wood, Adams, McClean and VDM ahead of him. JJ is playing fit his life. The problem is that it’s like when he hit tagged. He hasn’t got the ticket to work through it.

He's really struggling to work hard without the ball at the moment.

Before I Die
25-07-2021, 11:38 PM
To be fair, it was:

One can only work with the materials available.

I did consider mcNeil Young as Ins, or possibly Scott and Young.

But, before I cop a whack from a mod for my Dirty Deeds I'll get back on thread.

In: Wood and Dunks.

Dunks has to play. Wood replaces Richards or plays tall if needed.

I worry about having Young and Schache both in the backline. Bevo said Schache was getting to the right places, but he is still learning the team defense caper, and Young is out of favour, probably because he is not adhering to team plans. I think the two of them together is a recipe for a breakdown in structure.

I'd prefer to keep Schache in and ask Wood to play tall if needed. Caleb or Roarke Smith can move behind the ball to get Dunks into the midfield.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 11:44 PM
One can only work with the materials available.

I did consider mcNeil Young as Ins, or possibly Scott and Young.

But, before I cop a whack from a mod for my Dirty Deeds I'll get back on thread.

In: Wood and Dunks.

Dunks has to play. Wood replaces Richards or plays tall if needed.

I worry about having Young and Schache both in the backline. Bevo said Schache was getting to the right places, but he is still learning the team defense caper, and Young is out of favour, probably because he is not adhering to team plans. I think the two of them together is a recipe for a breakdown in structure.

I'd prefer to keep Schache in and ask Wood to play tall if needed. Caleb or Roarke Smith can move behind the ball to get Dunks into the midfield.

I tend to agree. Can't have both Young and Schache together.

So In Wood and Dunks and out Two injured

Mofra
26-07-2021, 08:59 AM
I think Young has to come in. If we are planning on playing Schache on Tex we could be giving them a 5 goal head start. Schache was good the other night but I would like another option height wise in defence.

Out: Keith, Richards

In: Dunkley, Young

I wouldn't risk Woods hammies in a freezing Ballarat
Every week Young just seems to get better and better.
I have to admit I just don't quite see it as a lockdown defender.

Mantis
26-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Every week Young just seems to get better and better.
I have to admit I just don't quite see it as a lockdown defender.

Our midfield got on top in the last qtr on Saturday night, but we did look susceptible in defence as Schache tired and with others giving away height.

Given Adel have a tallish forwardline you would think that we would need Young in the team to give us a bit more aerial presence given from our other medium sized defenders, only Williams is capable of playing on a taller opponent.

mjp
26-07-2021, 10:45 AM
Given Adel have a tallish forwardline you would think that we would need Young in the team to give us a bit more aerial presence given from our other medium sized defenders, only Williams is capable of playing on a taller opponent.

Surely if Schache, Cordy and Williams could get it done vs Melbourne then they are capable against Adelaide?

Dunks comes in and plays mid, Daniel reverts to his role across half back...I'm not sure bringing in another key defender is a great plan. Bringing in another RUCKMAN and allowing the rucks to play a little more behind the ball would make some sense though wouldn't it?

Happy Days
26-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Big no to bringing in another ruckman. O'Brien is the one of the best in the competition at impact between contests and getting involved in possession chains, which is not Sweet's go at all. It would be like playing one short in transition.

Mantis
26-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Surely if Schache, Cordy and Williams could get it done vs Melbourne then they are capable against Adelaide?

One could argue that Adelaide's tall forwards are more capable than Melbourne's.. and they do play an extra tall.

Dunks comes in and plays mid, Daniel reverts to his role across half back...I'm not sure bringing in another key defender is a great plan. Bringing in another RUCKMAN and allowing the rucks to play a little more behind the ball would make some sense though wouldn't it?

Bringing in Sweet changes our whole structure as it would mean one of JUH or Bruce doesn't play.

And we have 2 defenders going out in Richards & Keath... understand Dunks comes back in, but we do need some defensive cover too.

Mofra
26-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Big no to bringing in another ruckman. O'Brien is the one of the best in the competition at impact between contests and getting involved in possession chains, which is not Sweet's go at all. It would be like playing one short in transition.
O'Brien is the modern 'ground covered' ruckman but whoever gives English a chop out has to be able to block the leading lanes defensively.
Sweet has tired this year, the kid needs a big -pre-season

ratsmac
26-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Ok so we don't bring in Young for extra cover height wise, do we, I can't believe I going to say this, put Naughton back as a if an emergency break glass type situation arises eg. Walker is rag dolling Schache.

Danjul
26-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Ok so we don't bring in Young for extra cover height wise, do we, I can't believe I going to say this, put Naughton back as a if an emergency break glass type situation arises eg. Walker is rag dolling Schache.
I read it here on WOOF, many times!

“You can’t play Young because he is too similar to Keath - they’re both intercept defenders.”

The selected team on Saturday was pure genius. Now Keath is out we have a natural replacement.

So obviously the “ins” are Dunkley and Young.

comrade
26-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Any news on the Keath scans?!

Axe Man
26-07-2021, 12:06 PM
I read it here on WOOF, many times!

“You can’t play Young because he is too similar to Keath - they’re both intercept defenders.”

The selected team on Saturday was pure genius. Now Keath is out we have a natural replacement.

So obviously the “ins” are Dunkley and Young.

I have never seen anyone say that on here. Keath hasn't played as an intercept defender since he was running around with the licorice allsorts.

Happy Days
26-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Yeah I've literally never seen anyone say that even one time.

mjp
26-07-2021, 02:40 PM
One could argue that Adelaide's tall forwards are more capable than Melbourne's.. and they do play an extra tall.

One could argue that...but it would be a pretty weak argument wouldn't it?

Ghost Dog
26-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Not sure why they didn't tag Laird.
36 Possessions, 2 goals.

Cameron Ling was never that fast. Could Wallis fill such a role?

Mofra
26-07-2021, 05:45 PM
Not sure why they didn't tag Laird.
36 Possessions, 2 goals.

Cameron Ling was never that fast. Could Wallis fill such a role?
Comparing our midfield to theirs, I wouldn't be going any hard tags.
I'd back our guys head to head, and Libba has played a run with role on players if they get off the chain anyway. Wallis pre-break took Heppel out of the game once but that was a long time ago.

HOSE B ROMERO
26-07-2021, 08:07 PM
Looks like we're playing Saturday 12.20 in Ballarat.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2021, 11:01 PM

Well, Tex is a mile ahead of them. So there’s that. But otherwise, I probably agree.

One of Young / Schache to also chop out in the ruck will be useful. Himmleberg, Frampton, Lynch and Fogarty is a relatively tall mix so I don’t mind us picking another tall.

Schache - Frampton and ruck cover
Young - Himmleberg
Cordy - Tex
Wood - Fogarty
Williams - Lynch

????

Means we bring Wood in which I didn’t have, and we have Cordy on Tex which I don’t love but don’t think Young is the right fit and unsure on Schache too.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2021, 11:22 PM

I don't know. I think Crows tall forwards aren't great but they have Tex. Dees don't have anyone really. The massive difference though is how the ball comes in. Dees mid has it a lot harder work. I guess main point is I am not particularly concerned with either side in terms of tall forwards.

mjp
26-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Comparing our midfield to theirs, I wouldn't be going any hard tags.
I'd back our guys head to head, and Libba has played a run with role on players if they get off the chain anyway. Wallis pre-break took Heppel out of the game once but that was a long time ago.

But isn't that exactly WHY you tag Laird hard? There isn't much else rn.

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 09:46 AM
I don't know. I think Crows tall forwards aren't great but they have Tex. Dees don't have anyone really. The massive difference though is how the ball comes in. Dees mid has it a lot harder work. I guess main point is I am not particularly concerned with either side in terms of tall forwards.

How can you disrespect red pilled truly awake real man Tom McDonald like that?

bornadog
27-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Your good mate :D

Happy Days
27-07-2021, 10:06 AM

I bet none of the Crows forward even train with a gorilla mace.

Mofra
27-07-2021, 10:22 AM
If it means you take away one of our starting mids, I'm not convinced as a plan A (noting Libba run-with as a plan B, a la 2016 Grand Final on Kennedy). I certainly wouldn't be putting Wallis in the centre, especially considering Dunkley will come into the side.

I'm less concerned about their tall forwards than some as well. Shouldn't they be concerned with how to stop the rebound of Dale/Williams/whoever else we roll back there like Daniel or JJ? Schache will get a chance to play back again and he is a genuine target for kick-outs and linking plays as I really rate his field kicking.

We're on top of the ladder. They should be concerned about stopping us.

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Your good mate :D

Besties. I can't wait for lockdown to end so we can watch some Sky News with Rita Panahi together.

I bet none of the Crows forward even train with a gorilla mace.

Pathetic girly men.

bornadog
27-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Besties. I can't wait for lockdown to end so we can watch some Sky News with Rita Panahi together.

Pathetic girly men.

I love your responses - gives me a good laugh :D

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 10:43 AM
I love your responses - gives me a good laugh :D

That's good because as a football pundit I'm pretty useless :)

Topdog
27-07-2021, 10:44 AM
I'm struggling to understand what role JJ has both now and in the future. To me he seems completely lost and really contributed nothing again. He seems to play 1 decent match every 5 now.

Out: Keath, JJ, Richards
In: Who knows there are no vfl games.

Mantis
27-07-2021, 11:04 AM

Who would use in this role?

Mofra
27-07-2021, 11:04 AM
I'm struggling to understand what role JJ has both now and in the future. To me he seems completely lost and really contributed nothing again. He seems to play 1 decent match every 5 now.

Out: Keath, JJ, Richards
In: Who knows there are no vfl games.
Defensive forward who can roll onto the wing.
TBH I think a pre-season (or two), Garcia will be the preferred option - and let's not forget VDM.

Mantis
27-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Defensive forward who can roll onto the wing.
TBH I think a pre-season (or two), Garcia will be the preferred option - and let's not forget VDM.

Garcia is already ahead of JJ.

JJ is hanging on for dear life at present.

Topdog
27-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Garcia is already ahead of JJ.

JJ is hanging on for dear life at present.

Thats how I see it too. He seems to also not really know his limits anymore and has certainly lost a bit of pace.

1eyedog
27-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Thats how I see it too. He seems to also not really know his limits anymore and has certainly lost a bit of pace.

He's not the attacking player he was partly because of his role change off the HBF to wing / forward then defensive forward but he's also no longer able to have any effect defensively in our forward line either, or at least hasn't across a block of 4-6 weeks. He's had maybe two good run downs from behind all season. He constantly runs past the ball, tackles at length, is too easily brushed aside for a 10 year player and actually looks timid in a contest.

He's definitely on the clearance sale shelf at the front of the supermarket.

mjp
27-07-2021, 12:36 PM
Who would use in this role?

Dunks is back this week and I would use him.

I just don't understand why we would contemplate letting someone who kicks it like him get it 30 times - I think he is averaging more than that this year.

You could build a case around some long goals (as in, 50m +) from Laird, Walker and whatever that winger they got from Collingwood whose name I always forget is called could keep us off balance throughout the day and see them through in a low scoring game. I don't see how they compete with us around the ball (assuming we play with effort and we've been pretty good at that all year) but we aren't always super efficient going forward, goals can be tricky to score at Ballarat and a result around the 9.17 (us) to 12.5 (them) would be the danger....

Is there another way we could lose this?

SquirrelGrip
27-07-2021, 02:17 PM

Interesting that Scott spent quite a bit of time with Oliver in the second half. Perhaps he comes off half forward to follow Laird?

Mantis
27-07-2021, 02:17 PM

I just don't understand why we would contemplate letting someone who kicks it like him get it 30 times - I think he is averaging more than that this year.

You could build a case around some long goals (as in, 50m +) from Laird, Walker and whatever that winger they got from Collingwood whose name I always forget is called could keep us off balance throughout the day and see them through in a low scoring game. I don't see how they compete with us around the ball (assuming we play with effort and we've been pretty good at that all year) but we aren't always super efficient going forward, goals can be tricky to score at Ballarat and a result around the 9.17 (us) to 12.5 (them) would be the danger....

Agree that if we allow their good ball users in Laird & Seedsman a free passage then they could create some damage, but as mentioned we just need to go in with the right mindset (which might be a challenge coming off a big win) and win the ball at the source to have the game played on our terms... obviously need to finish off our good work.

I'd be happy to start off free-wheeling, but paying respect to the opposition and make in game adjustments as required.

Mofra
27-07-2021, 02:19 PM

Seedsman is their best outside user, I think Roarke has done some good defensive outside roles this year in his few opportunities.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-07-2021, 03:53 PM
To be fair, it was:

No more Watts either

Bulldog4life
29-07-2021, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;747870]Besties. I can't wait for lockdown to end so we can watch some Sky News with Rita Panahi together.

And she can tell us that Trump really did win the US election.

mjp
29-07-2021, 10:29 AM
I'd be happy to start off free-wheeling, but paying respect to the opposition and make in game adjustments as required.

I would prefer we go hard early and put it beyond doubt than give them hope and have to try and pull it back.

Grantysghost
29-07-2021, 10:42 AM
I would prefer we go hard early and put it beyond doubt than give them hope and have to try and pull it back.

Same, has slight banana peel written on this one after being pumped up for the Demons game.

Don't give them anything to keep pushing towards.

MrMahatma
29-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Geelong play North. I mean, even if we win this we could slip to 2nd so we can’t be messing around. Go hard early, go hard all match.

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Geelong play North. I mean, even if we win this we could slip to 2nd so we can’t be messing around. Go hard early, go hard all match.

North have been pretty good over the last month, I don't think we will be seeing a 100 point margin there. I am assuming Cunnington is out though which is a big blow.

comrade
29-07-2021, 12:27 PM
North have been pretty good over the last month, I don't think we will be seeing a 100 point margin there. I am assuming Cunnington is out though which is a big blow.

Cunnington and Tarryn Thomas both out. I think they would have pushed Geelong down there with those two, but no chance now.

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Cunnington and Tarryn Thomas both out. I think they would have pushed Geelong down there with those two, but no chance now.

Just hope they keep the margin respectable and we match it or better with a comfortable win of our own.

1eyedog
29-07-2021, 12:57 PM

Is Laird playing mostly midfield now?

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 12:57 PM
Is Laird playing mostly midfield now?

Yes, he's about the only good mid they have.

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed midfield star Josh Dunkley will come straight back into the team after quarantine for Saturday’s clash against Adelaide as Adam Treloar eyes off a return as early as next week.

Dunkley rejoined his teammates at Whitten Oval on Thursday morning for the first time after he was forced into home isolation after being linked to a Tier 1 exposure site following a visit to his local cafe.

The 24-year-old missed last week’s top-of-the-table clash against Melbourne but Beveridge said he was certain to slot straight back into the side for the match in Ballarat.

Dunkley is a key inclusion for the Bulldogs, who lost defender Alex Keath (hamstring) and Ed Richards (concussion) after last weeks’ match against the Demons.

Beveridge was confident Dunkley, who had only returned for his first game after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction two weeks ago, had not lost any conditioning.

“Dunks will come back in,” Beveridge said on Thursday morning.

“It’s his first morning back into the club after his little hiatus and he will train with the boys today and he will be going to Ballarat tomorrow.

“I don’t know if he could be in better shape, Dunks, he looks after himself pretty well … he has definitely got a good set-up compared to most home gyms, so he has not missed out on too much conditioning, Dunks, he’s been able to kick the ball into the net, he’s even got that set-up at home, too.

“It’s just a shame that we haven’t been able to keep him involved as much as we would have liked. We’ve zoomed him into a meeting or two and other than that it’s just been touching base with him here or there and he seems to have coped all right.”

Dunkley’s return comes as Beveridge indicated Treloar could be pushing for a return next week after making strong recent progress in training.

Treloar has not played since Round 10 after suffering an ankle syndesmosis injury.

“If you remember back I was preparing everyone for the worst-case scenario in that it might take a lot longer than we would have thought,” Beveridge said.

“He wasn’t on a rocket out of the hospital as far as his recovery …. the first two or three weeks was a real struggle but most recently he has really come on.

“He’s got a couple of important game-like sessions coming up and he’ll be in consideration over the next, definitely not this week, but possibly even next week.

“That’s how quick he has come on. We’ll get our heads together and work out what the plan will be coming back into the AFL side.

“We’ve just got to be careful we don’t compromise the team as far as sharing the load goes. But he will be available pretty quickly.

“I’d say if not next week, it will almost definitely be the week after.”

Beveridge said veteran defender Easton Wood (ankle) would come into the selection frame as a replacement for Keath.

“He (Wood) was pretty productive last week in the scratch match that we had, he got through unscathed coming off that ankle injury,” he said.

“He’s fit and healthy, he’s definitely going to be considered.”

Laitham Vandermeer will play in the VFL against Casey on Saturday.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-round-20-team-news-and-expert-tips-plus-all-the-ins-and-outs/news-story/bdb44a0007ea39cc7fb696f09d2a0543)

Mofra
29-07-2021, 01:39 PM
Treloer back before finals? That's huge

comrade
29-07-2021, 01:47 PM
Treloer back before finals? That's huge

Would be great if he could get a couple of games in before finals which sounds like he's on track for.

Grantysghost
29-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Think it will be :

Out : Richards, Keath
In : Dunkley, Wood.

Not sure how the shuffle will go with HB for Mid.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2021, 02:06 PM
I’m liking VDM back in the VFL. I don’t trust JJ fully as a forward and I think if VDM can bang the door down, there’s a possible spot to take off JJ.

Failing that, Dunkley, Wood, VDM, Treloar - Gardner & *maybe* Martin soon, Keath in a month, Richards next week - McNeil, Crozier, Lipinski, Wallis, West, Young =

COMPETITION FOR SPOTS

comrade
29-07-2021, 02:10 PM
Think it will be :

Maybe we'll see Caleb spend more time in defence, with Baz/Dunks taking over his midfield time? Not ideal as I like Caleb up the ground.

JJ might also be thrown back there and we make up his forward time with a mix of others.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-07-2021, 02:39 PM
Think it will be :

Yes. Scache shows going back works but Dunkley for Richards is no like for like.
I'll let Bevo sort it out.

Mantis
29-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Maybe we'll see Caleb spend more time in defence, with Baz/Dunks taking over his midfield time? Not ideal as I like Caleb up the ground.

JJ might also be thrown back there and we make up his forward time with a mix of others.

Scott played in defence when he came on and whilst he is ok in that role he is probably better elsewhere so if he stays in he probably helps out too.

comrade
29-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Scott played in defence when he came on and whilst he is ok in that role he is probably better elsewhere so if he stays in he probably helps out too.

Yeah, thought about him too. If he does play, means someone else also has to come out as Wood and Dunks are locks.

Can see a scenario where Roarke comes out, Baz goes into the wing role, Dunks goes inside and Scott plays back replacing Richards?

bornadog
29-07-2021, 03:25 PM

Who comes out?

Mofra
29-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Who comes out?
From last week - Richards will miss

comrade
29-07-2021, 04:07 PM
From last week - Richards will miss

But Dunks and Wood are likely the ins.

If Scott plays, we need 3 outs.

bornadog
29-07-2021, 04:15 PM
But Dunks and Wood are likely the ins.

If Scott plays, we need 3 outs.

Mof didn't follow the conversation :D

I think Only two changes this week.

Rocco Jones
29-07-2021, 04:17 PM
Hearing the presser, think it'll just be the two.

In- Dunks, Wood
Out- Ed, Keath

Medi-Sub: Scott

Mofra
29-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Hearing the presser, think it'll just be the two.

In- Dunks, Wood
Out- Ed, Keath

Medi-Sub: Scott
Seems the most likely at this stage.

"We don't have enough defenders" is the least likely scenario after any team selection is announced given our current list.

kruder
29-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Hopefully Young comes in to replace Keath, we can't have all our eggs in the Schache basket if Keath/Gardiner have further setbacks prior to finals. I think we all agree, Wood isn't a key defender.

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 07:25 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/QM9dXn3B/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Hotdog60
29-07-2021, 07:25 PM
In: Easton Wood,Josh Dunkley

Out: Alex Keath (Injured),Ed Richards (Injured),Taylor Duryea (Managed)

Ninja'd I need to type faster

bulldogtragic
29-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Lipinski or Young for my sub.

jeemak
29-07-2021, 07:31 PM

I reckon it will be Crozier.

Axe Man
29-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Now we just need Granty getting behind his boy McNeil for sub.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2021, 07:39 PM

I will spew. He’s woefully out of form and needs be dominating at Casey on Saturday. I don’t think him subbing helps the team or him.

jeemak
29-07-2021, 07:41 PM
I will spew. He’s woefully out of form and needs be dominating at Casey on Saturday. I don’t think him subbing helps the team or him.

You don't seem very strong in your convictions on this.

Grantysghost
29-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Now we just need Granty getting behind his boy McNeil for sub.

If it's not young Lachlan then I'll microwave my membership, deliver chicken hearts to whitten oval and get a Melbourne jumper put on the EJ statue!

comrade
29-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Doc has been huge for us the past few weeks, big loss.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2021, 07:56 PM
You don't seem very strong in your convictions on this.

I just want him to knock the door down. He didn’t deserve the last promotion and then they dropped him again. Repeating this cycle just doesn’t make much sense to me. He’s got a bit to work on under match conditions so I want him in the vfl from Saturday working things out and getting full confidence. Yo-yo’ing him and not giving him time to get his confidence back would be our fault again. So it would make me spew. It’d be short sighted and I think there’s other better options before Croz for this game. Just my two cents.

comrade
29-07-2021, 08:12 PM
Rapt to have Dunks and Libba back in the guts together. Smash and grab time.

Rocco Jones
29-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Rapt to have Dunks and Libba back in the guts together. Smash and grab time.

x 2. We can use them together or rotate if one is struggling.

Re: Crozier. He was clearly awful vs Suns but hard to tell with no info about the scratch match. Could have been brilliant. That said, would have had to be pretty bloody impressive. We have Truck there to play a bit bigger if needed. I would go with McNeil as sub.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Hopefully TD just misses the one - critical in our back half.

Williams a little more freedom this week with Wood back?

Perhaps Bont plays a bit more forward? To give him some in game respite. And let Dunks spend some quality time on ball.

Daniel can stay around the footy a bit more.

bornadog
30-07-2021, 12:33 AM
In: Easton Wood,Josh Dunkley

Out: Alex Keath (Injured),Ed Richards (Injured),Taylor Duryea (Managed)

Ninja'd I need to type faster

Half our backline out this week

jeemak
30-07-2021, 02:00 AM
I just want him to knock the door down. He didn’t deserve the last promotion and then they dropped him again. Repeating this cycle just doesn’t make much sense to me. He’s got a bit to work on under match conditions so I want him in the vfl from Saturday working things out and getting full confidence. Yo-yo’ing him and not giving him time to get his confidence back would be our fault again. So it would make me spew. It’d be short sighted and I think there’s other better options before Croz for this game. Just my two cents.

I understand, but on the flipside there's also a bit of a different approach that can work with more senior players who may be a bit out of form that gets them back without requiring them to knock the door down.

Qualified by not being able to watch the scratch match last week, there could have been a few things that happened that turned things around for Croz during that game and if we think he's on the way back up then picking him probably shouldn't be enough to induce vomit. And with a specific role if he does come on after being the sub then it might turn out OK.

Mitch Hannan was in terrible form, but was given a specific role to come in and play last week based on his career demonstrated attributes and he did it really well. Perhaps with Wood playing tall an injury might cause a reshuffle with Crozier going back and being given an opportunity to play in a spot he plays best. Perhaps he plays forward and stinks it up, who knows (it's easy to do as a sub).

With putting Young into the sub role we lose versatility given how stacked we already are for height forward. Conversely a bit of tall support on the bench for the defence isn't the worst thing we could see, but given the likely conditions I think we'll go with someone more adept at helping out on the ground rather than in the air.

Mantis
30-07-2021, 09:08 AM
I understand, but on the flipside there's also a bit of a different approach that can work with more senior players who may be a bit out of form that gets them back without requiring them to knock the door down.

Qualified by not being able to watch the scratch match last week, there could have been a few things that happened that turned things around for Croz during that game and if we think he's on the way back up then picking him probably shouldn't be enough to induce vomit. And with a specific role if he does come on after being the sub then it might turn out OK.

Mitch Hannan was in terrible form, but was given a specific role to come in and play last week based on his career demonstrated attributes and he did it really well. Perhaps with Wood playing tall an injury might cause a reshuffle with Crozier going back and being given an opportunity to play in a spot he plays best. Perhaps he plays forward and stinks it up, who knows (it's easy to do as a sub).

With putting Young into the sub role we lose versatility given how stacked we already are for height forward. Conversely a bit of tall support on the bench for the defence isn't the worst thing we could see, but given the likely conditions I think we'll go with someone more adept at helping out on the ground rather than in the air.

In saying that I'm not sure how Crozier could fit as that player given he hasn't been clean this year when the ball is on the ground.

Our midfield and forward line are stacked with talent so if we get the ball going our way we're going to be really tough to beat, but our defence takes on a completely new look as we've lost our 2 best ''defenders'' who not only consistently beat their opponents, but also assist others. Will watch on with interest how the defensive group adapts and who steps up when we need them to.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2021, 10:53 AM
I've just caught up on all the news from the Melbourne game. Anyone else concerned about no Keath for a month? I think our mids are really going to have to lift because our defence will be super shaky without him.

Good to see Schache get a run in defence. Hopefully he can nail a spot down there.

Oh and how the hell does Melbourne come away with a clean bill of health AGAIN whilst we lose 2? If they can't win the flag this year they never will.

Bulldog Joe
30-07-2021, 10:56 AM
I've just caught up on all the news from the Melbourne game. Anyone else concerned about no Keath for a month? I think our mids are really going to have to lift because our defence will be super shaky without him.

Good to see Schache get a run in defence. Hopefully he can nail a spot down there.

Oh and how the hell does Melbourne come away with a clean bill of health AGAIN whilst we lose 2? If they can't win the flag this year they never will.

The benefit is a better knowledge of our depth.

Without the injury to Gardner, Schache would not have been tried in defence.

Melbourne will be susceptible if they lose a top 5 or 10 player from their team in the next 6 weeks.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-07-2021, 11:19 AM
The benefit is a better knowledge of our depth.

Without the injury to Gardner, Schache would not have been tried in defence.

Melbourne will be susceptible if they lose a top 5 or 10 player from their team in the next 6 weeks.

Not that I wish it on them but you can see it happening.

1eyedog
30-07-2021, 10:45 PM
Not that I wish it on them but you can see it happening.

Couple of hammys here and there would be nice though.