PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 22 Vs Hawthorn 2021

Scraggers
23-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 21 match against Essendon for our Round 22, 2021 match against Hawthorn (Day, Time and Location To Be Confirmed) ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 06:53 PM
In: Weightman, Hannan
Out: Scott, Bruce

Testekill
08-08-2021, 06:57 PM
In: Weightman, Young/Gardner (if fit), I dunno Bendendo or Sweet or someone
Out: Scott, Cordy, Bruce

divvydan
08-08-2021, 07:51 PM
A lot will be determined by how bad Bruce's knee injury is that he got right on the final siren.

comrade
08-08-2021, 07:54 PM
A lot will be determined by how bad Bruce's knee injury is that he got right on the final siren.

If it's as bad as it looked, he's out until the end of next year.

If it's best case scenario, he might miss a week or 6.

bornadog
08-08-2021, 08:27 PM
If it's as bad as it looked, he's out until the end of next year.

If it's best case scenario, he might miss a week or 6.

I wonder how Schache will also pull up. He most probably had a few jabs, so depends how he recovers.

comrade
08-08-2021, 08:28 PM
I couldn't give 2 shits about this game now.

EasternWest
08-08-2021, 08:30 PM
I couldn't give 2 shits about this game now.

But you will in a day or two which is the positive and negative of being a footyhead.

comrade
08-08-2021, 08:31 PM
But you will in a day or two which is the positive and negative of being a footyhead.

Honestly, today's result and the Bruce injury on top of everything else has just about done 2021 in for me.

EasternWest
08-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Honestly, today's result and the Bruce injury on top of everything else has just about done 2021 in for me.

Quoting for posterity. Chin up mate, at least we're not in lockd....

Err forget I said anything.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2021, 08:34 PM

I feel the same. It's been a tough year and footy was the escape, which ironically turned into the nightmare that was today.

Losing to Geelong in a final would top it off.

comrade
08-08-2021, 08:36 PM
I feel the same. It's been a tough year and footy was the escape, which ironically turned into the nightmare that was today.

Losing to Geelong in a final would top it off.

Yep, that's the kicker. Even through all the covid BS, we've had the Dogs playing well and the hope of winning it all to get us through. That's up in smoke now.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2021, 08:40 PM
It’s days like today that make me question why I get so involved in footy. Having something you can’t control impact you so much isn’t healthy. I try to take a step back but I bloody can’t. Those rare moments like 2016 make it worth it, but after games like today you just wonder whether we’re that cursed and it’ll be another 60yrs until we see the ultimate joy once again.

Bullies
08-08-2021, 08:42 PM
In: Hannan, Weightman

Out: Garcia, Scott

If Bruce is out then Young comes in and Schache goes forward. No option until Gardner and Keath come back.

1eyedog
08-08-2021, 10:07 PM
In: Sweet, Weightman
Out: Bruce, Garcia.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2021, 10:16 PM
In: weightman

Out: Bruce

Keep it simple. Get some continuity.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 10:24 PM
I know JJ kicked a good goal but did he do enough to justify selection next week?

In: Young, Weightman (or McNeil if Weightman not ready), Roarke
Out: Bruce, Garcia, JJ

If he wasn’t ‘JJ’ no way he’d have played nearly as many games. Five touches and no tackles from the quickest guy in our forward line is unacceptable. A goal and an assist is fine, but out of that he was invisible. Plus he can still pick and choose when he wants to go. With his speed you’d expect tackles and pressure and he gives neither most weeks. Forget this year, at $600,000 he needs to move to a club that wants a HBF. He’s not a forward and he’s not in our best 5 HBFs.

It could also be an indictment on our small forwards that he’s played the amount of games he has.

Hotdog60
08-08-2021, 10:49 PM
No VFL really sucks as we could do with the run for VDM who's speed and aggression would be good.

Happy Days
08-08-2021, 11:17 PM
If VDM has any level of fitness up he can play for Scott. Not like he’s gonna do less.

Otherwise I agree with just Cody for Bruce.

jazzadogs
08-08-2021, 11:39 PM
Surely Young comes in. Which one of Young, Cordy and Schache plays forward, to try and cover the Bruce role?

bornadog
08-08-2021, 11:43 PM
Surely Young comes in. Which one of Young, Cordy and Schache plays forward, to try and cover the Bruce role?

I think we need to restructure up differently and forget the Bruce role.

Young will be required because Hawks will try and stretch us in the backline, and Young can also relieve in the ruck.

In Young, Weightman

Out: Bruce and Garcia

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 11:43 PM

Cordy. Let him try to hurt a few opponents there, he did go 8.1 in 2016 from R.19 to GF. If the choice is that any of the three could give up a couple of goals to their direct opponent, at least Schache & Young can hurt them with intercept marks and extra height and speed.

With the ball winning mids we have. I’d try Bonts at FF/CHF this week to see what a full game there looks like for the side.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 12:04 AM
Cordy. Let him try to hurt a few opponents there, he did go 8.1 in 2016 from R.19 to GF. If the choice is that any of the three could give up a couple of goals to their direct opponent, at least Schache & Young can hurt them with intercept marks and extra height and speed.

With the ball winning mids we have. I’d try Bonts at FF/CHF this week to see what a full game there looks like for the side.

God Naughts and Bont having a lot of set shots might mean I need to kennel my Labradors :)

boydogs
09-08-2021, 01:38 AM
English forward, Martin/Sweet ruck in for Bruce, Keath & Gardner in for Schache & Cordy. No idea if the ins are ready this week but that's what we need to do to win finals

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2021, 11:06 AM
Seeing Garcia in the outs only just triggered that he played yesterday. My god we had so many mids down and out. Garcia barely sighted. Dunkley barely sighted. I only saw Smith when bombers players were blitzing passed him. Macrae had no influence. Bont went missing after quarter time. Treloar I actually saw but was wasteful by foot. Libba butchered it which is unlike him. What did we drink before the game? Our mids were like the NBA stars in space jam after the monstars stole their talent.

Bulldog4life
09-08-2021, 11:12 AM
In: Sweet, Weightman
Out: Bruce, Garcia.

Yep let us start Tim as full forward. Got a feeling Gardner will play too.

westbulldog
09-08-2021, 11:22 AM
In
Sweet Weightman Young

Out
Bruce Cordy JJ

Garcia gets a reprieve, Scott to practice goalkicking all week.

Happy Days
09-08-2021, 11:31 AM
I'm not dropping JJ before Scott or Garcia. None of them got the footy and all had well below par games but at least JJ made something happen. Scott's game was actually a net-negative when you consider his sole contribution was punting a me-level set shot out on the full.

westbulldog
09-08-2021, 11:38 AM
I'm not dropping JJ before Scott or Garcia. None of them got the footy and all had well below par games but at least JJ made something happen. Scott's game was actually a net-negative when you consider his sole contribution was punting a me-level set shot out on the full.

JJ has been sub-standard for weeks imo.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 12:03 PM
No VFL really sucks as we could do with the run for VDM who's speed and aggression would be good.

VDM had a run yesterday. And looked good with some speed inside 50.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Outs:

Scott - really doesn't get involved enough. If you're going to have minimal touches, then pressure is on to make them count.
Bruce

Ins:

Sweet
Weightman

I'd consider Hannan for Marra also. Sweet into the ruck. English primarily forward.
Would probably consider Young for Schache - but given its unlikely Lewis gets a crack at it, not worth the discussion.

Mantis
09-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Outs:

Scott - really doesn't get involved enough. If you're going to have minimal touches, then pressure is on to make them count.
Bruce

Ins:

Sweet
Weightman

I'd consider Hannan for Marra also. Sweet into the ruck. English primarily forward.
Would probably consider Young for Schache - but given its unlikely Lewis gets a crack at it, not worth the discussion.

Would you consider Young instead of Sweet? I just don't see it with Swett and his form in the back half of the year has been extremely poor... given in challenging circumstances.

Happy Days
09-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Would you consider Young instead of Sweet? I just don't see it with Swett and his form in the back half of the year has been extremely poor... given in challenging circumstances.

I think this is the move. English is a really damaging weapon provided he doesn't have to ruck full games, if we can get someone to split time with him and lose centre stoppages even worse than he would then it will probably still benefit the team overall.

I don't see it at all with Sweet either so maybe Young's versatility will offer more.

comrade
09-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Young and English as our ruck options in a final. Kill me now.

Happy Days
09-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Young and English as our ruck options in a final. Kill me now.

What about if we play them on each others shoulders under some sort of trenchcoat?

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 12:41 PM
What about if we play them on each others shoulders under some sort of trenchcoat?
I'll drink to that...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0D7pmHuYY1bZx6Ks/giphy.gif

Mofra
09-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Would you consider Young instead of Sweet?
I would, 100%.

Young did ok in the ruck against Hickey, and English is needed up forward in the absence of Bruce.
We're going to get smashed in the ruck contests regardless so we may as well go with the guy who can run back and guard space in defence.

soupman
09-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Yeah Young ahead of Sweet for sure. Sweet has him covered in one area and even then it's not like he'll be impactful in that.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 01:29 PM
On the Keath front sounds like he will definitely be back for the Port game, with a small chance he will play next week (Source Bevo presser post match).

Good news.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 01:31 PM
VDM had a run yesterday. And looked good with some speed inside 50.

What were the game details?

SquirrelGrip
09-08-2021, 02:36 PM
The players who are in the mix for the rest of the season are:

Weightman
Hannan
VDM
McNeil
Roarke
Keath
Gardner
Young
Sweet

Realistically, any of them could be picked this week.

We won't see any more of Lipinksi, Wally, Crozier, Butler, West, Cavarra, Buku, Bedendo or Hayes unless we get even more injuries.

The question since the start of the year has always been where do we play all our mids when they are in the one team? Richards needs to spend time at half back, but then where does Caleb fit with all the mids back? High half forward? Having Richards on the wing and half forward didn't work yesterday.

Marra can't play as the 2nd key forward. He's a beautiful talent but doesn't provide any physical contact. Bevo alluded to it in his presser. For all his foibles, Hannan does play his role.

And are we better with VDM and/or McNeil than JJ? Or has Garcia taken their role? Then Weightman is back too?

This week, I'd bring back Gardner if fit, plus try Zaine as the tall rotating utility ruck/forward/back and force him to make a contest. Keath & Martin hopefully back the following week.

B: Williams Gardner Wood
HB: Dale Schache Duryea
C: Hunter Bontempelli B.Smith
HF: Treloar Naughton Daniel
F: Weightman Hannan Garcia
Foll: English Macrae Liberatore

Int: Richards Cordy Dunkley VDM
Medi: JJ

Out: Bruce, JUH, Scott, Roarke
In: Gardner, Hannan, Weightman, VDM

Ozza
09-08-2021, 02:42 PM
What were the game details?

We had a scratch match where Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood players combined to make 2 teams.....as I understand it.

Don't know much else. I'd assume it was only AFL listed players given they are being tested every few days (and I assume non-AFL players are not).

Rocco Jones
09-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Lewy rather than Sweet for mine. Gives us the option of switching with Schache if he is having a mare and goes into shell. I know Lewy can do the same though! Anyways, like Mofra, don't mind Lewy in ruck and suits dropping back.

In- Lewy, Cody, Hannan
Out- Bruce, Scott, Garcia (don't want to but think for the best short term. Love him long term)

DOG GOD
09-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Gardner has done a shoulder twice this year. Isn’t anyone else worried about the possibility of that popping out again in a final? Not sure if I’d risk it.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 02:56 PM

Yep I would. I'm not a big advocate for Sweet being in the side - but regardless, Tim needs to share the ruck duties. And as much as he was beaten in there yesterday, it was even worse when Bruce and Naughton went in. I think when English splits time fairly evenly between Ruck and Forward, he seems to fare a lot better.

I guess with Young v Sweet - its a matter of deciding what needs the most help.
The actual ruck contest/clearance (pick Sweet)
Ability to have an impact around the ground/play multiple areas (Young).

Both players have played 5 games this year. 4-1 records for both, with Sweet in the loss to the Dees, Young in the loss to the swans.

Young would arguably be a better 'in' this week and play tall defender (Hawks have Mitchell, Nash and McEvoy/Ceglar forward) and then go into the ruck when English needs a chop out. Port the following week, have Lycett as a more premanent/dominant ruckman.

Cyberdoggie
09-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Yep I would. I'm not a big advocate for Sweet being in the side - but regardless, Tim needs to share the ruck duties. And as much as he was beaten in there yesterday, it was even worse when Bruce and Naughton went in. I think when English splits time fairly evenly between Ruck and Forward, he seems to fare a lot better.

I guess with Young v Sweet - its a matter of deciding what needs the most help.
The actual ruck contest/clearance (pick Sweet)
Ability to have an impact around the ground/play multiple areas (Young).

Both players have played 5 games this year. 4-1 records for both, with Sweet in the loss to the Dees, Young in the loss to the swans.

Young would arguably be a better 'in' this week and play tall defender (Hawks have Mitchell, Nash and McEvoy/Ceglar forward) and then go into the ruck when English needs a chop out. Port the following week, have Lycett as a more premanent/dominant ruckman.
I think we were at our best with English floating forward and Martin in the ruck. We really only have two physical contested marking players in our squad, English and Naughton. Without a Bruce to share in ruck duties we have to bring in Sweet now i think and use English more forward.

Bullies
09-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Gardner has done a shoulder twice this year. Isn’t anyone else worried about the possibility of that popping out again in a final? Not sure if I’d risk it. Willing to take the risk now and play him. He is our best close checking defender and can take the talls. Has great closing speed as well. Doesn't need to get a lot of it so happy to take the risk.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2021, 03:37 PM
I know English got toweled up by Draper in the ruck contests, but our mids' poor positioning at the centre stoppages and their failure to adjust to the situation is the major issue we have to address. It's looking increasingly likely that English is going to have to carry the main ruck role for the remainder of the season, and I'd be making it a priority at training to get our midfield to focus on what they can do to limit what happened yesterday reoccur, rather than try to manufacture a ruck set up that is likely to only make us more unstable in other areas.

If any combo of our inside mid's had've taken it upon themselves to be just even a tad more protective of the front of the centre square, then Wright doesn't get on the end of so many quick balls. To score 22 times from just 39 inside 50's is less an indictment on our weakened defense than it is the poor efforts of our mids to lock the Bomber mids down.

Happy Days
09-08-2021, 03:54 PM
I know English got toweled up by Draper in the ruck contests, but our mids' poor positioning at the centre stoppages and their failure to adjust to the situation is the major issue we have to address. It's looking increasingly likely that English is going to have to carry the main ruck role for the remainder of the season, and I'd be making it a priority at training to get our midfield to focus on what they can do to limit what happened yesterday reoccur, rather than try to manufacture a ruck set up that is likely to only make us more unstable in other areas.

If any combo of our inside mid's had've taken it upon themselves to be just even a tad more protective of the front of the centre square, then Wright doesn't get on the end of so many quick balls. To score 22 times from just 39 inside 50's is less an indictment on our weakened defense than it is the poor efforts of our mids to lock the Bomber mids down.

You're probably right and I think this might have been by design. I was very much guilty of thinking that, coming up against a midfield like Essendon's that commit all the same sins as we do, our personnel was superior and it would lead to centre square and clearance dominance setting up an easy win. That obviously did not happen.

Being beaten in a gun fight is a little concerning given that I thought our ace was to be able to put the foot down in an all-attacking blitz from the centre.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 04:13 PM

A good ruck will win or even the ruck contest and then provide a contested presence in the next phase too. Look at the Nank, no way the ball gets out as easy if we had him.

comrade
09-08-2021, 04:20 PM
A good ruck will win or even the ruck contest and then provide a contested presence in the next phase too. Look at the Nank, no way the ball gets out as easy if we had him.

Yeah, Richmond have never been a great clearance team but they also have ever been slaughtered by sides running it out goal side unopposed. A big, bullocking ruck is the perfect complement to English. I’d throw every single asset we have to get Nank.

Mofra
09-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Gardner has done a shoulder twice this year. Isn’t anyone else worried about the possibility of that popping out again in a final? Not sure if I’d risk it.
Well we're playing Dunkley right now off a shoulder so I don't think we worry if the medicos give him the all clear.

MrMahatma
09-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Well we're playing Dunkley right now off a shoulder so I don't think we worry if the medicos give him the all clear.

Ideally we’re getting Keath, Gardiner and Martin all back for Port as a dress rehearsal. Anyone back for this week is a bonus from a conditioning and chemistry point of view.

Hotdog60
09-08-2021, 06:26 PM
Have we contemplated if Gardner is fit he comes in for Bruce. He played forward for Footscray and Young goes back and if that doesn't work swap them over.

DOG GOD
09-08-2021, 06:28 PM

And clearly hesitant to go in hard/tackle hard.
Probably a mental thing, but geez we need the pre-injured Dunkley back ASAP.

GVGjr
09-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Have we contemplated if Gardner is fit he comes in for Bruce. He played forward for Footscray and Young goes back and if that doesn't work swap them over.

I wonder if Gardner and Keath should be in defence with Schache and Young as the back-up cover and we could then consider moving Cordy forward to replace Bruce.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2021, 07:50 PM
I wonder if Gardner and Keath should be in defence with Schache and Young as the back-up cover and we could then consider moving Cordy forward to replace Bruce.

I think this is what needs to happen. I don't know what Young did to hurt Bevo, but how he doesn't get a game in front of Cordy is bewildering.

It's also no surprise Schache got a bath yesterday. Imagine essentially being a 2nd gamer and having Zaine as your experienced elder? Yikes.

Schache needs to be the 3rd KPD. Yesterday he was basically our 1st.

GVGjr
09-08-2021, 08:00 PM
I think this is what needs to happen. I don't know what Young did to hurt Bevo, but how he doesn't get a game in front of Cordy is bewildering.

It's also no surprise Schache got a bath yesterday. Imagine essentially being a 2nd gamer and having Zaine as your experienced elder? Yikes.

Schache needs to be the 3rd KPD. Yesterday he was basically our 1st.

I think Schache is still a decent option for our 2nd KP defender and I don't believe we can play a 3rd key defender if Wood is playing.
If Wood slides to the 4th tall defender role it leaves just 2 spots for Dale, Williams and Duryea and Daniel playing elsewhere and we would lose a significant amount of drive and run from our back half.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 08:46 PM
I think Schache is still a decent option for our 2nd KP defender and I don't believe we can play a 3rd key defender if Wood is playing.
If Wood slides to the 4th tall defender role it leaves just 2 spots for Dale, Williams and Duryea and Daniel playing elsewhere and we would lose a significant amount of drive and run from our back half.

Wood is not playing as a tall anymore, and so he shouldn't

azabob
09-08-2021, 10:01 PM
Yeah, Richmond have never been a great clearance team but they also have ever been slaughtered by sides running it out goal side unopposed. A big, bullocking ruck is the perfect complement to English. I’d throw every single asset we have to get Nank.

Asset within reason.

GVGjr
09-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Wood is not playing as a tall anymore, and so he shouldn't

So who plays the 3rd tall spot for us? Williams or Dale?

bornadog
09-08-2021, 11:35 PM
So who plays the 3rd tall spot for us? Williams or Dale?

If needed and we don't have a choice, then Williams

kruder
09-08-2021, 11:43 PM

I wanna see Schache have a full preseason in defence before I trust him in a final. To be brutally honest any scenario without Schache and Young in a finals side I'm up for. Im still haunted by our lack of physicality in our last two finals and these two won't help.

I'm also keen to see English play forward, absolute natural I'd happily take a risk with Sweet in the next few weeks to see it happen.

comrade
10-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Asset within reason.

How much is Bazlenka worth?

Happy Days
10-08-2021, 10:57 AM
How much is Bazlenka worth?

Wow. I know you aren't Baz's biggest fan but that is way too much for Nank in a vacuum, let alone a type of player that we can target for far cheaper. Look at how Richmond even got Nank in the first place.

Baz, for all of his issues, is clearly a rare talent and the sky is the limit with him. We cash out now for Toby Nankervis and I'd be beyond furious.

comrade
10-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Wow. I know you aren't Baz's biggest fan but that is way too much for Nank in a vacuum, let alone a type of player that we can target for far cheaper. Look at how Richmond even got Nank in the first place.

Baz, for all of his issues, is clearly a rare talent and the sky is the limit with him. We cash out now for Toby Nankervis and I'd be beyond furious.

Just spitballing but I wouldn't do it for Nank on his own. Would require more coming back our way. The days of getting a very good #1 ruck for cheap has passed. The market has corrected since.

Would we be closer to a flag next year with Nank and no Baz, or just having Bazlenka as our 5th or 6th best mid?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Just spitballing but I wouldn't do it for Nank on his own. Would require more coming back our way.

Would we be closer to a flag next year with Nank and no Baz, or just having Bazlenka as our 5th or 6th best mid?

I think that's selling Baz's growth potential a bit short.

bornadog
10-08-2021, 11:15 AM
I think that's selling Baz's growth potential a bit short.

Although he is annoying at times, he has a lot of potential and still only 20 years old.

Happy Days
10-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Just spitballing but I wouldn't do it for Nank on his own. Would require more coming back our way. The days of getting a very good #1 ruck for cheap has passed. The market has corrected since.

Honestly I think we're closer with Baz. He's really good!

I don't know what there is to suggest that the market has corrected. We got Martin for an effectively delisted player, the Dons got Peter Wright (whoever that is) for a future 4th, the Swans got Hickey for a pick shuffle. We should be looking to emulate this than selling off anything of real value.

I don't think we can get Nank, who is contracted and beloved by any Tigers fan I've ever talked to. But Meek, Lynch, Flynn/Briggs, probably our most realistic targets, are all out of contract and can't realistically demand any value.

Grantysghost
10-08-2021, 03:55 PM
In : Young, Weightman, Hannan
Out : Bruce, Garcia, Scott

English forward, Young to ruck.

bornadog
10-08-2021, 04:42 PM
Based on the injury list

Hannan, Cody, Keath, Gardner could all be available this week.

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 05:19 PM
We're not trading Smith.

MrMahatma
10-08-2021, 05:27 PM
In: Weightman, Gardner, Keith,
Out: Scott, Bruce, Cordy

josie
10-08-2021, 06:21 PM
In: Weightman, Gardner, Keith,
Out: Scott, Bruce, Cordy

I quite like this if MC feels safe bringing back 2 injured backs in the one game. Almost be inclined to give Roarke a go ahead of Scott too. I like Scott but there’s been a few games now where he has missed easy goals that I think Roarke would have kicked. I’m warming to the pressure of Roarke - a real role and team player - and think he is possibly a better option than others picked ahead of him. For a start he can stick a tackle & is an ok shot at goal. Here’s looking at you JJ on the weak tackling front.

Grantysghost
10-08-2021, 06:26 PM
I quite like this if MC feels safe bringing back 2 injured backs in the one game. Almost be inclined to give Roarke a go ahead of Scott too. I like Scott but there’s been a few games now where he has missed easy goals that I think Roarke would have kicked. I’m warming to the pressure of Roarke - a real role and team player - and think he is possibly a better option than others picked ahead of him. For a start he can stick a tackle & is an ok shot at goal. Here’s looking at you JJ on the weak tackling front.

Yes agree Josie Roarke gives us that extra bit of grunt.

Tips the mongrel scales in the right direction! ;)

hujsh
10-08-2021, 06:32 PM

I thought this was a Jesse Stringer type joke

Scraggers
10-08-2021, 07:46 PM

I thought this was a Jesse Stringer type joke

Worst thing was I read it as Josè :eek:

azabob
10-08-2021, 07:55 PM
We're not trading Smith.

What about dropping?

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 08:02 PM
What about dropping?

I'm never against form based decisions being made for the betterment of the team.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2021, 08:24 PM
In : Young, Weightman, Hannan
Out : Bruce, Garcia, Scott

English forward, Young to ruck.
Like your thoughts but would prefer Wallis to Hannan who has struggled this year. Our forward line was inept last week with Scott Garcia, JJ and Jamarra all struggling. JJ is very fortunate to still be in the team as a forward. Young in the ruck and English as a key forward appeals.

jeemak
10-08-2021, 08:29 PM
We're not trading Smith.

What about Dunkley?

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 08:36 PM
What about Dunkley?

You should start a thread.

Maybe do a trade Bont one after that.

jeemak
10-08-2021, 08:39 PM
You should start a thread.

Maybe do a trade Bont one after that.

I think if I did that all the gains in maturity Chef spoke of would exit the door pretty quickly.

KT31
10-08-2021, 08:46 PM

I'm still *@#$ing upset, I hope I'm wrong but feel we've stuffed it.
This week I've avoided all football conversations, just like Dan Andrews now avoids the combination of pats on the back, red wine and stairs.

1eyedog
10-08-2021, 08:58 PM
What about dropping?

EW will never drop Baz they're together forever.

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 11:24 PM
I'm still *@#$ing upset, I hope I'm wrong but feel we've stuffed it.
This week I've avoided all football conversations, just like Dan Andrews now avoids the combination of pats on the back, red wine and stairs.

Lol that's a good one.

EW will never drop Baz they're together forever.

Oh snap I thought he meant out of the team.

Oh hell no I ain't ever leave my man. Unless it's for stupid, sexy Easton Wood. Or Bont.

Mantis
11-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Really interested to see how we structure up if/when Keath comes back. I can't see how all of Keath, Cordy, Schache and Wood play in the same backline as we will be denied of much needed run.

The structure of our team was up the creek last week and whilst it's not vital at present, it needs to be sorted by the time we play our first final.

1eyedog
11-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Really interested to see how we structure up if/when Keath comes back. I can't see how all of Keath, Cordy, Schache and Wood play in the same backline as we will be denied of much needed run.

The structure of our team was up the creek last week and whilst it's not vital at present, it needs to be sorted by the time we play our first final.

On past trends surely we go with Keath, Cordy and Wood with Gardner to replace Cordy if required. Bevo seems to like it.

bornadog
11-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Given the injury news:

Out: Bruce, Schache (I think injured), Scott
In: Weightman, Keath, Hannan (subject to test)

DOG GOD
11-08-2021, 11:57 AM

Our best back 6 are Keath, Cordy/Gardner, Dureya, Williams, Dale and Daniel…with Wood on bench
We need Daniel around half back to kick thru any wall we face.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2021, 12:11 PM
I would go with Keath, Wood and Schache. I think Schache's pros/cons > Zaine's. I get why Bevo would go with Zaine, safer with the competitive default etc. Definitely agree with Mantis that we don't play all four back.

Happy Days
11-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Yeah I would also go with Keath Schache and Wood. Schache was unbelievably horrible but Cordy wasn’t much better, and there’s a chance that Schache can be something if he doesn’t have to take the most dangerous forward.

comrade
11-08-2021, 12:25 PM
When players like Aaron Francis and Nick Holman get ahold of you, no amount of 'mongrel' makes up for it. But it's been the same for years so it's not going to change a few weeks out from finals.

IN: Keath, Weightman, Hannan, Sweet
OUT: Schache, Scott, Bruce, Garcia

bornadog
11-08-2021, 12:41 PM
IN: Keath, Weightman, Hannan, Sweet
OUT: Schache, Scott, Bruce, Garcia

I could live with that, Sweet does deserve another go

Mantis
11-08-2021, 12:43 PM
I could live with that, Sweet does deserve another go

Based on?

From reports his form hasn't been strong in his most recent VFL performances.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Based on?

Just awful in the games I’ve watched since Gawn got into his head. Necessity as an argument is one thing, but I don’t think he’s deserving promotion in the sense that others deserved promotion to the team this year.

bornadog
11-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Based on?

From VFL report:

“Statistically, Jordon’s ruck performance was dominant against Casey’s younger ruckmen. He did have his hands full early though, as the opposition ruck was genuinely bigger than him. It was great to see Jordon persist and wear him down, and then be an influence at stoppages against a very good midfield. He gave us some pretty good service too, which helped us win the clearances significantly on the day.”

We need a ruckman to help English

comrade
11-08-2021, 01:08 PM
I’m going for structure over everything else and I’m completely done with Timmy as our sole ruck with Naughton potentially providing a chop out. Vomit.

Another option I’d consider is sending Cordy forward/2nd ruck. D grade Bruce replacement but let’s us play the same structure as we have been (whether that’s best for our finals hopes remains to be seen).

Not great options however you look at it.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2021, 01:23 PM
I’m going for structure over everything else and I’m completely done with Timmy as our sole ruck with Naughton potentially providing a chop out. Vomit.

Another option I’d consider is sending Cordy forward/2nd ruck. D grade Bruce replacement but let’s us play the same structure as we have been (whether that’s best for our finals hopes remains to be seen).

Not great options however you look at it.

I think we can't/shouldn't try to replace Bruce but instead try to go with strengths based approach. Zaine can offer more defensive pressure vs incercept markers, English mobility.

I want Young in as a ruck, English to fwd/2nd ruck. Been thinking of Zaine in same role as you state.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2021, 01:26 PM
I think getting around the ground, especially supporting the backline, is at least close to actual tap work. The more Sweet plays, the more we will notice it, the same way as the more English plays, the way we notice lack of tap work. Thing is, I don't think Sweet is that good at the tap work stuff at AFL level (yet). I think Bruce out is the perfect opportunity to bring in Lewy. Competitive-ish in the ruck, mobility (too bad about positioning IQ but Sweet can't even get there to tell if he has it) and suited to taking grab helping out the defence.

Mantis
11-08-2021, 02:52 PM
We need a ruckman to help English

We do, but I'm not sure Sweet is a viable option.. He won a heap of HO's against Casey as he was playing against 2 kids, but only had 7 touches and 1 mark so whilst the centre square work is important what happens in general play?? And if he can't dominate the centre square taps which we haven't seen him do against AFL ruckman then what's the point?

In the outing prior to that he played against Callum Sinclair from Sydney, who is barely an AFL standard ruckman and was extremely poor to the point he was moved into a forward role so I'm not sure we go down that path.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2021, 04:59 PM
My biggest issue with playing English in the ruck isn't that there are better options, it's that he is better as a forward/2nd ruck. We are trading a very good forward/2nd forward for a below average 1st ruck.

Grantysghost
11-08-2021, 07:53 PM
My biggest issue with playing English in the ruck isn't that there are better options, it's that he is better as a forward/2nd ruck. We are trading a very good forward/2nd forward for a below average 1st ruck.

We could've had Glass-Mccasker in the ruck and Tim forward and Tim's value triple folds.

Ruck ain't his bag.

jazzadogs
11-08-2021, 11:44 PM
I think we can't/shouldn't try to replace Bruce but instead try to go with strengths based approach. Zaine can offer more defensive pressure vs incercept markers, English mobility.

I want Young in as a ruck, English to fwd/2nd ruck. Been thinking of Zaine in same role as you state.

Could Wallis replace Bruce? Leading goalkicker last year, showed he can be an effective small full forward.

My answer is no, he can't. But if we're changing up the structure, a spot has opened for the stay-at-home role he played well last year.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2021, 11:57 PM
Could Wallis replace Bruce? Leading goalkicker last year, showed he can be an effective small full forward.

My answer is no, he can't. But if we're changing up the structure, a spot has opened for the stay-at-home role he played well last year.

I agree with all of that. Word for word. No joke.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Bulldogs brace for life without Bruce (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/998942/bulldogs-brace-for-life-without-bruce)

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge is confident his side can find a forward mix that works for the remainder of 2021 without injured star Josh Bruce.

Bruce, who has kicked 48 goals this year, will go under the knife today for an ACL reconstruction.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs needed to move on quickly to find a blend that works, starting this week in an important game against Hawthorn.

With two points separating first from fourth on the ladder, the Bulldogs have plenty to play for over the next fortnight as they look to secure the best possible position heading into finals.

“It is devastating for Josh, but we’ve got to move on pretty quickly,” Beveridge told media today.

“There’s a lot at stake. We’ll find a way.

“He’s pretty philosophical about it all, he’s processed the disappointment and he wants to get on with it. He wanted to have the surgery ASAP and get on the front foot with it so he can come back as quickly as possible, which is a great attitude to have.

“That’s the attitude we’ve all got to have.

“Yes, we haven’t got Josh for the remaining elements of the season, but as we’ve always done, we’ve got to find a way to make sure we fulfil the critical roles and put together a blend that will help us win against Hawthorn.”

Beveridge was reluctant to reveal details of the Bulldogs’ forward mix, with the team for Saturday’s match against the Hawks at UTAS Stadium in Launceston to be confirmed tonight at 6.20pm.

The way forward though – at least for this week – looks like being without Josh Schache.

Beveridge said the forward-turned-defender would train today but was “doubtful” to line-up against the Hawks. He sustained a knee injury last week against Essendon and played out the game.

If that’s the case, the Bulldogs would need to replace key position players at both ends of the ground this week.

Defensive duo Alex Keath (hamstring) and Ryan Gardner (shoulder) trained today, with Beveridge declaring both as possibilities to return from injury.

Experienced ruckman Stef Martin remains a week or two away from being available for selection, after battling a persistent groin and hip injury in recent times.

“He’s going to have a training run today,” Beveridge said.

“He’s possibly available (for finals). We’ll just need to wait and see, he’s been out for a long time now. But will he be available to actually play in a couple of weeks’ time? Yeah, possibly, if he doesn’t have any more hiccups.

“As we know, he’s had one or two along the way which has been really frustrating for him and us.”

comrade
12-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Great.

1eyedog
12-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Martin more likely to play in this article than the one I just read.

Donuts for Lewy Young. Absolute donuts.

Rocco Jones
12-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Martin more likely to play in this article than the one I just read.

Donuts for Lewy Young. Absolute donuts.

He wasn't even asked about Lewy or Sweet right?

kruder
12-08-2021, 04:57 PM
The most interesting team selection this year that's for sure, hurry up 18:30 :p

azabob
12-08-2021, 07:21 PM
ROUND 22 TEAM

Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 14 August, 1.45pm AEST
UTAS Stadium, Launceston

B: Zaine Cordy, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Easton Wood, Lewis Young, Bailey Dale
C: Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Jason Johannisen, Mitch Hannan, Bailey Smith
F: Adam Treloar, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Josh Dunkley, Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer, Riley Garcia
Emer: Roarke Smith, Anthony Scott, Buku Khamis, Ed Richards

In: Lewis Young, Cody Weightman, Laitham Vandermeer, Mitch Hannan, Alex Keath
Out: Josh Bruce (knee), Josh Schache (knee), Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (managed), Anthony Scott (managed), Roarke Smith (medi-sub), Ed Richards

1eyedog
12-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Zaine, Young, Keath and Wood. Yep he's gonna do it.

Hannan at CHF yuck! So there's one forward playing in the forward line this week yeah? With Dunks and Treloar back I want Bont at CHF.

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Can't argue with much of that. They have two tall forwards and a resting ruck so Young can play on McEvoy/Ceglar and follow them into the ruck. Richards has tailed off since coming back, Scott and Marra had little influence last week and fluffed their lines when they had chances to hit the scoreboard.

That is the smallest forward line we have fielded for a long time.

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 07:46 PM

Hannan at CHF yuck!

I guess there is a chance Young plays forward and Wood or Williams plays tall.

The Underdog
12-08-2021, 07:49 PM
I have questions.

Scraggers
12-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Ed Richards ???

bornadog
12-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Ed Richards ???

Completely lost last week

comrade
12-08-2021, 08:07 PM
I really hope this isn’t a preview of our finals side.

DOG GOD
12-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Have they picked that team based on weather predictions?

bornadog
12-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Hannan at CHF yuck! So there's one forward playing in the forward line this week yeah? With Dunks and Treloar back I want Bont at CHF.

My theory is Hannan will do better without Bruce in the team. I think they play a similar role, but Hannan gets in the way of Bruce.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2021, 08:18 PM
Ed Richards ???

Richards is a natural back man being played out of position.

comrade
12-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Richards is a natural back man being played out of position.

Who does he play in front of? I think there’s only room for 1 of Wood and Richards.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Managed is the new dropped?

That's not bad. Pretty much as expected. Ed gets a gold pass on here but he was pretty average last week.

comrade
12-08-2021, 08:44 PM

That's not bad. Pretty much as expected. Ed gets a gold pass on here but he was pretty average last week.

I’m surprised Lewy got another go if it but he’ll likely get 2nd ruck duties so I like it. Bruce out makes our forward line look very unbalanced.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 08:46 PM
I’m surprised Lewy got another go if it but he’ll likely get 2nd ruck duties so I like it. Bruce out makes our forward line look very unbalanced.

First ruck :)

You would think he's playing forward/ruck with English with Bruce out?

Hannan takes Marra's spot, English takes Bruce, Young -> English. (Ive got nfi to be honest!)

kruder
12-08-2021, 08:56 PM
Vandermeer, Weightman and Garcia yes please!

Bevo answered one big question, Sweet is cooked for the year. I think it also hints at that Martin is expected back.

If not? Once Gardner is fit, Cordy or Young will move forward/ 2nd ruck.

Richards either plays back or not at all, I hope we don't loose him there is definitely a role there in the future, Wood is on the thinnest of ice.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 09:24 PM

I’m not dumping you, I’m just managing the relationship??

Go_Dogs
12-08-2021, 09:25 PM
Interesting selections.

Hadn’t realised Schache would miss - good opportunity for Young (again). Probably one week (again).

Cody and Laith back is big. Haven’t seen much (any?) of them together and think that helps us keep pressure on and close down rebound well out of our forward half.

Agree with the calls for Bont more forward, but also mindful he’s perhaps one big game in the middle away from sealing the Brownlow. Would be great if he can find a way to do both. 30 touches and 3 goals.

Scraggers
12-08-2021, 09:39 PM
If Bruce had not been injured I would have suggested that JUH not play. With Bruce out, I think JUH should have held his spot.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 09:43 PM

Garcia played a shocker as well last week. He needs to improve this week.

DOG GOD
12-08-2021, 09:49 PM
Seems like the Bruce injury has thrown a spanner in our preferred structure. I’m hoping this team selected is due to the forecast in Launceston. Otherwise….hmmm…

bornadog
12-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Seems like the Bruce injury has thrown a spanner in our preferred structure. I’m hoping this team selected is due to the forecast in Launceston. Otherwise….hmmm…

What is the forecast?

DOG GOD
12-08-2021, 09:52 PM
What is the forecast?
13 and 70% chance of rain.
26 km winds

bornadog
12-08-2021, 10:07 PM
13 and 70% chance of rain.
26 km winds

Another normal Tassie day :D

1eyedog
12-08-2021, 10:09 PM
This team is so unbalanced forward and back with a glut of midfielders being squeezed into weird spots. It really is a dropped lasagne.

The interesting thing is there are a heap of really really good players in it so anything can happen.

Two games left and we've still no clear identity.

Dry Rot
12-08-2021, 10:20 PM
I really hope this isn’t a preview of our finals side.

Aside from Martin, who else could come in?

bulldogsthru&thru
12-08-2021, 10:20 PM
This team is so unbalanced forward and back with a glut of midfielders being squeezed into weird spots. It really is a dropped lasagne.

The interesting thing is there are a heap of really really good players in it so anything can happen.

Two games left and we've still no clear identity.

Would we have it any other way? I can’t recall a season under Bevo where we’ve had a remotely healthy list. Our lack of key position depth doesn’t help.

Dry Rot
12-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Sweet not even named in the emergencies....

jeemak
12-08-2021, 10:37 PM
Another normal Tassie day :D

Dog God will be at the beach, and not at the footy to soak up the warm weather.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2021, 10:54 PM
I.... don't hate the selections at all.

Richards was awful last week. But I think he's still a good chance to play week 1 of finals. JUH has made a promising start but he's nowhere near ready to impact big finals as the second tall and he doesn't bring consistent pressure yet. A forward trio of Weightman, Vandermeer and Garcia is quick and going to pressure the opposition. I like it. Hannan plays above his height and becomes much more important with Bruce out.

We have options. Cordy could go forward as a negating type which we may need v the top 3. Young could take his place as a KPD but he can pinch hit ruck or forward too.

Really interesting to see how we shape up for week 1, I suspect we'll trial a few things this week.

comrade
12-08-2021, 11:29 PM
I.... don't hate the selections at all.

Richards was awful last week. But I think he's still a good chance to play week 1 of finals. JUH has made a promising start but he's nowhere near ready to impact big finals as the second tall and he doesn't bring consistent pressure yet. A forward trio of Weightman, Vandermeer and Garcia is quick and going to pressure the opposition. I like it. Hannan plays above his height and becomes much more important with Bruce out.

We have options. Cordy could go forward as a negating type which we may need v the top 3. Young could take his place as a KPD but he can pinch hit ruck or forward too.

Really interesting to see how we shape up for week 1, I suspect we'll trial a few things this week.

I mean it could all work but we’re unbalanced and unsettled 2 weeks out while most other top 6 sides are locked and loaded (Cats get back Cameron, Izzy and Henderson this week, Port’s best 22 is fit, Melbourne lol). I hate that we have to tinker and trial things with players like Young, Cordy and Hannan.

mjp
13-08-2021, 08:40 AM
Interesting selections.

Bevo really is one of a kind.

I expected Young to play but when you have 3 tall forwards - and 1 gets injured, you would expect the other two to stay...NOPE.

Mofra
13-08-2021, 09:03 AM
I wonder if this selection is more about Hawthorn than a finals preview.
Clarko saw an opportunity to catch the Swans on the hop, went extra tall, it worked and he's stuck with that ever since.

I suspect MC thinking is we run the Hawks off their feet - their first midfield rotation is playing good football but the second rotation players are scrubbers who we can both outrun and out-skill. Hannan will surely play lead up and Naughton plays the contested mark in front of goal.
I assume Young is ruck support.

mjp
13-08-2021, 09:44 AM
I assume Young is ruck support.

See - I assumed Young would start forward and share the ruck with English (aka the Bruce role). Keath and Cordy play back and Hannan plays whatever role you would say he has played earlier in the year. Some kind of medium forward...

Would I be surprised to see Young back, Cordy forward and Naughton in the ruck? Not especially.

Axe Man
13-08-2021, 10:15 AM
Bevo really is one of a kind.

I expected Young to play but when you have 3 tall forwards - and 1 gets injured, you would expect the other two to stay...NOPE.

Who are the other 2? JUH is the only tall we have dropped and he is contributing little and certainly isn't ready to be the second tall target. He could have stayed in but I doubt he would have had much of an influence.

DOG GOD
13-08-2021, 02:34 PM
Dog God will be at the beach, and not at the footy to soak up the warm weather.
Nah I’ll be at the footy. Not often I get to see the guys live.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2021, 02:43 PM
Watching Bevo's presser from yesterday, he looked tired / sounded a little dejected. Very short answers in the beginning too. Maybe the end of the presser alludes more to that with his comments around people doing it tough in Melbourne during this lockdown.

Hopefully the big guy is OK.

Grantysghost
13-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Watching Bevo's presser from yesterday, he looked tired / sounded a little dejected. Very short answers in the beginning too. Maybe the end of the presser alludes more to that with his comments around people doing it tough in Melbourne during this lockdown.

Do the Cats guys get to roam free whilst the rest of the Vic teams are locked up? That's probably going to be helpful.

Mofra
13-08-2021, 02:48 PM
See - I assumed Young would start forward and share the ruck with English (aka the Bruce role). Keath and Cordy play back and Hannan plays whatever role you would say he has played earlier in the year. Some kind of medium forward...

Would I be surprised to see Young back, Cordy forward and Naughton in the ruck? Not especially.
Personally I don't want Naughton anywhere near the ruck.

Young, Cordy, Hannan - I don't care. Naughton glues himself to the front half and provides the get out kick down the line and on slow plays provides the aerial contest closer to goal.

On quicker plays... roll the dice with Weightman as the deep option. He's a kid, he's young, but probably once during the game he'll do something crazy and kick a goal from a low-percentage entry. If that means Frost goes to the last line to defend him - great. There are three scoring shots from turnovers right there.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2021, 04:50 PM

It’s all a front. Bevo has this in control snd he is building the them vrs us mentality. One thing that I noticed this year more then others is how spread the load has been across the team.

Selection for Bevo is just a game. No way he looses to his Mentor while he is on the way out. I also think that the hawks have already played their “Grand Final” and this week will be the thug back to earth they deserve

The bulldog tragician
13-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Naughton must NOT play any time whatsoever in the ruck. We’re all used to Bevo eccentricity and look where it got us, but a line must be drawn!

Axe Man
13-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Naughton must NOT play any time whatsoever in the ruck. We’re all used to Bevo eccentricity and look where it got us, but a line must be drawn!

Dunkley it is then! :cool:

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Dunkley it is then! :cool:

WOW that will go down well, may as well stamp his papers now

mjp
14-08-2021, 01:12 AM
Who are the other 2? JUH is the only tall we have dropped and he is contributing little and certainly isn't ready to be the second tall target. He could have stayed in but I doubt he would have had much of an influence.

The other 2 are Naughton and JUH. If one of them is dropped, then the “other two” aren’t playing...only one of them is!