PDA

View Full Version : Jamarra Ugle-Hagan opens up on ‘frustrating’ debut season and support from the Fevolas

comrade
23-07-2021, 07:25 PM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jamarra-uglehagan-opens-up-on-frustrating-debut-season-and-support-from-the-fevolas/news-story/7c784b2f8f72fd594b6f4e982c518947

Ahead of his second AFL game last weekend, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan drew a symbol on one of his footy boots.

It was a stick figure, pointing its arm out across an oversized pot belly.

The drawing was there to remind the first-year Western Bulldogs forward of advice that former Carlton and Brisbane champion Brendan Fevola had given him that week – “lead to the fat side of the ground”.

After a goalless debut against Sydney a week earlier, Ugle-Hagan followed the advice against the Gold Coast Suns on his way to a three-goal game that had tongues wagging among Bulldogs fans.

“After I kicked my first goal I didn’t believe it went in,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“After it went through it hit me that, ‘Wow, I’m actually out here playing AFL footy’.

“It’s pretty crazy coming from an indigenous community and then just going to a game and watching the boys run out and now realising that I’m doing that at the moment.”

Ugle-Hagan describes Fevola as a second dad, who has been a key influence on his football this year.

The 19-year-old is dating Fevola’s oldest daughter Mia, who has been his rock in a debut season that he admits has been “pretty frustrating at times”.

Last year’s No. 1 draft pick has twice had injury setbacks this season with a dislocated thumb and then a concussion.

He had to wait until Round 17 to make his AFL debut.

“I’m lucky enough to have Mia beside me and the Fevola family are my family because it does get tough when it comes to selection,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“To have Brendan as a dad is great because he was a gun key forward and he knows what he’s talking about. Mia’s been by my side the whole time. Even when it got tough, there would be days I’d have to speak to Jamie Maddocks (Western Bulldogs development manager) because he’s been there by my side the whole time as well. But Mia’s one behind the scenes. She’s supported me the whole way.”

Unlike most No. 1 draft picks, Ugle-Hagan was selected by a team up the top of the ladder rather than the bottom.

He also had to contend with the fact that he was lacking match fitness after his final year of underage football with Oakleigh Chargers in the NAB League was scrapped last year due to Covid.

“Coming in as a No. 1 draft pick was a lot of pressure and then I was coming into a great team,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“Fitness wasn’t my strength and it still isn’t. I’m still doing extra running even though I’m playing. I still just want to keep building my tank up so I can become elite during my career, which will make it a lot easier for me.”

Known as ‘Marra’ at Whitten Oval, Ugle-Hagan requested that coach Luke Beveridge check in with him each week that he wasn’t selected.

He wanted regular updates on where he stood and what he still needed to do to get a senior game. Beveridge happily obliged and Ugle-Hagan took all of the feedback on board.

“With Bevo, I’m glad he didn’t play me for a while because it made me work harder and not take things for granted and roll into a team and think I can play straight away,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“It’s been good that I’ve had to work for it and now that I’m playing, I know that I’ve worked for every bit of it.”

Along with plenty of advice from Fevola this year, some words of wisdom from former St Kilda forward Nick Riewoldt have also stuck with Ugle-Hagan.

Riewoldt himself was a No. 1 draft pick and provided some words of wisdom in the weeks before Ugle-Hagan’s first match.

“Riewoldt debuted in Round 15 of his first season,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“He told me, ‘No one’s going to remember your first year, everyone’s going to remember your next 10 years’.”

TRADE TALK

Ugle-Hagan joined the Bulldogs on a two-year contract as a new draftee, but his absence from the senior side in the first half of the season raised questions about whether he could be a trade target for opposition clubs.

The Bulldogs already had a pair of key forwards in Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce and have been playing ruckman Tim English as a resting forward this year.

The club is also set to have access to exciting father-son prospect Sam Darcy in this year’s draft, who is another key forward.

Ugle-Hagan heard the outside noise about being a trade target but insists it was just that – noise.

“With the trade talk, I feel like that’s going to happen to every player if they’re not playing,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“Especially coming as pick one. Obviously other clubs are going to approach me if I’m not playing a game. But at the end of the day the Bulldogs have backed me in to become part of their club and I trust that I’m part of their future. So I’m going to stay loyal to the club at the Kennel. It’s just my first year. Just because I’m not playing, it doesn’t mean anything.”

KICKING LIKE FEV

Fox Footy commentator and former Hawthorn champion Dermott Brereton picked up a scary similarity between Ugle-Hagan and Fevola in the commentary box last Saturday.

Producers later pulled together a split-screen, in slow-motion, which showed Ugle-Hagan’s set-shot goalkicking action side-by-side with Fevola’s.

They were near identical – but it’s little more than a coincidence.

“After watching that clip, it was unbelievable because I was like, ‘Wow, what are the odds of that happening?’” Ugle-Hagan said of the similarities.

“I have watched Fev’s highlights before and I’ve watched how he holds the ball. I didn’t think I did that the same but once I watched that video, I was like, ‘Wow, it’s actually pretty much the same’.

“We’ve been down to the park a couple of times. Me and Fev were just having kicks from the boundary and stuff and I was just watching what he does. But I think that just came naturally for me. We haven’t gone through any techniques yet, we would just had a little competition of who could slot it through from the boundary.”

LIVING WITH THE FEVOLA’S

Ugle-Hagan is the oldest of five boys in his family.

The Fevola household has five girls.

“It’s different,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“They’re a great family. They’re loving and caring and they took me out for dinner after my first game which was unreal.”

When they are not going out for dinner, former restaurant owner and radio personality Brendan Fevola is often doing the cooking.

“He cooks unbelievable vegetables. I’ve never had anything better,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“I’ll be coming home from a training session and he’ll have a roast cooked up for the family. It’s unreal.”

But Ugle-Hagan likes to earn his keep and do the cleaning up, as well as occasionally doing some cooking of his own.

“I feel uncomfortable if I’m not doing anything around the house,” he said.

“I’ll clean up and do the dishes and pay my price for staying. When I grew up, my parents taught me to do that even though I hated doing the dishes at home. But when I’m at other people’s houses, I like to do that. I’ve cooked up meals as well and he (Fevola) doesn’t tell me they’re good because I think it likes to try and keep my head screwed on.”

bulldogtragic
23-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Brilliant read that. Just needs to add in a contract extension.

hujsh
23-07-2021, 08:00 PM
I can't help but be a little uneasy at the Fevola connection but I have to hand it to Jamarra he's certainly saying all the right things in that article. And who knows maybe Fev is exactly the perfect person to tell you what not to do in your AFL career as well as what to do.

The best thing I read was about the extra fitness sessions he's doing. You'd expect it but I don't think we've ever heard it before.

FrediKanoute
23-07-2021, 09:21 PM
Look, are we concerned because Fev isn't a Bulldog person? Maybe. But JUH is an amazing young talent and having an old head to help guide him, being a settled home environment are two massive things that someone coming into the AFL system needs and has.

Overall positive.

jeemak
23-07-2021, 09:51 PM
You can be a bit of a dickhead but also in a lot of ways a good role model. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

He's saying all the right things, apparently doing the right things with the extra running - which isn't something I'd heard about - and is in the side supposedly grateful according to him for having to work for it.

A lot of negativity gets peppered around about us, and we here often think the worst, but this year and our situation with JUH is going well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2021, 10:48 PM
You can be a bit of a dickhead but also in a lot of ways a good role model. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

He's saying all the right things, apparently doing the right things with the extra running - which isn't something I'd heard about - and is in the side supposedly grateful according to him for having to work for it.

A lot of negativity gets peppered around about us, and we here often think the worst, but this year and our situation with JUH is going well.

Zen Jeemak.

jazzadogs
24-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Does Marra have family in Melbourne as well?

It is a good read and he is coming across very positively, despite the image that the media tried to paint earlier in the year.

Grantysghost
24-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Does Marra have family in Melbourne as well?

It is a good read and he is coming across very positively, despite the image that the media tried to paint earlier in the year.

I know his folks travel up from Warrnambool to attend things.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Good read - if he’s happy and well supported outside of the club that’s a great thing.

AshMac
25-07-2021, 08:14 AM
Fantastic read, thanks for sharing!

Fev is either still an arrogant twat filling his head with unreasonable expectations, or a mature ex footballer who has learnt from his mistakes and know just what it takes to succeed at that level.

Whichever it is - he sounds like he is getting valuable off field support there

westdog54
25-07-2021, 09:26 AM
Fantastic read, thanks for sharing!

Fev is either still an arrogant twat filling his head with unreasonable expectations, or a mature ex footballer who has learnt from his mistakes and know just what it takes to succeed at that level.

Whichever it is - he sounds like he is getting valuable off field support there

It's sounding increasingly like the latter.

EasternWest
25-07-2021, 10:00 AM
It's sounding increasingly like the latter.

I always felt that Fev was a massive knob with a good heart.

If he's actually grown up a bit then maybe he's less of a knob now.

boydogs
26-07-2021, 01:59 AM
Few concerning things there, the narrative around not getting a game which I thought was more media driven but is now coming from his mouth, and having a role model that gambled away his marriage

hujsh
26-07-2021, 02:58 AM
Few concerning things there, the narrative around not getting a game which I thought was more media driven but is now coming from his mouth, and having a role model that gambled away his marriage

I'm fine with him being desperate to play and seeking out feedback on what areas of his game need to improve to get into the team. Unless I'm not seeing the passage you're referring to seems fine to me

Mantis
26-07-2021, 08:39 AM
I'm fine with him being desperate to play and seeking out feedback on what areas of his game need to improve to get into the team. Unless I'm not seeing the passage you're referring to seems fine to me

I would hope every player on the list who is not getting a game is banging on the coaches door asking what they need to do to get their opportunity, if they aren't I'm not sure why they're on the list.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-07-2021, 08:48 AM
I would hope every player on the list who is not getting a game is banging on the coaches door asking what they need to do to get their opportunity, if they aren't I'm not sure why they're on the list.

Yeah the comment he was seeking weekly feedback from Bevo was a great thing to read and equally must've been pleasing to the coach as well. This isn't a kid seeking to just get a game on talent alone, but is looking to improve and receptive to feedback.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2021, 11:37 AM
I see nothing wrong with the article and I also see little wrong with the Fev guidance.

Does anyone in here actually know Fev to make these kinds of calls? Judging a player by a few past actions when they were immature is silly. If we were to do that, Libba and Hunter would be idiots too, among many of us.

I think it's pretty easy to see that Fev has turned his life around. The club (which includes us as fans) shouldn't be trying to put a wedge in between Marra and Mia/Fev, it's in all our best interests to make it work.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Fev spend time at the club as someone to work on goal kicking, for example.

EasternWest
26-07-2021, 11:45 AM
I see nothing wrong with the article and I also see little wrong with the Fev guidance.

Does anyone in here actually know Fev to make these kinds of calls? Judging a player by a few past actions when they were immature is silly. If we were to do that, Libba and Hunter would be idiots too, among many of us.

I think it's pretty easy to see that Fev has turned his life around. The club (which includes us as fans) shouldn't be trying to put a wedge in between Marra and Mia/Fev, it's in all our best interests to make it work.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Fev spend time at the club as someone to work on goal kicking, for example.

Isn't this what I said but with more words :)?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2021, 11:48 AM
Isn't this what I said but with more words :)?

You said it better ;)

EasternWest
26-07-2021, 12:03 PM
You said it better ;)

Let's call it a draw.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Let's call it a draw.

Get a room funboys!

Happy Days
26-07-2021, 12:45 PM
Only concerning thing for me is that he's living with his girlfriend at 18, which seems like a recipe for disaster but that's probably leaning a little too much into personal experience.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Only concerning thing for me is that he's living with his girlfriend at 18, which seems like a recipe for disaster but that's probably leaning a little too much into personal experience.

But living with his girlfriend's family which is a plus.

EasternWest
26-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Get a room funboys!

https://i.postimg.cc/8CTWG2Nf/tenor.gif (https://postimages.org/)

jazzadogs
26-07-2021, 05:44 PM

This is sort of where i was heading when I asked if he had family in Melbourne - where was he living before moving in with the Fevolas? I'd love for him to be living with some of our more senior players.

But also, he's a grown man and it's none of my business.

bornadog
26-07-2021, 05:45 PM
This is sort of where i was heading when I asked if he had family in Melbourne - where was he living before moving in with the Fevolas? I'd love for him to be living with some of our more senior players.

But also, he's a grown man and it's none of my business.

Did he board at Scots College?

boydogs
27-07-2021, 12:42 AM

Saying it was tough not being selected, needing family support and advice from Nick Riewoldt, it just sounded entitled and like he expected it all to happen rather than working on his deficiencies. He mentioned his fitness as an issue but almost resented having to do extra fitness work like in pre season whilst still playing games. Got a few Jake Stringer vibes from all that, like hanging out the back and kicking 4 in the VFL should get you named at full forward at the G the next week

westdog54
27-07-2021, 01:12 AM

In fairness, Alex gave Fev another chance. Maybe the rest of us should as well.

hujsh
27-07-2021, 01:19 AM
Saying it was tough not being selected, needing family support and advice from Nick Riewoldt, it just sounded entitled and like he expected it all to happen rather than working on his deficiencies. He mentioned his fitness as an issue but almost resented having to do extra fitness work like in pre season whilst still playing games. Got a few Jake Stringer vibes from all that, like hanging out the back and kicking 4 in the VFL should get you named at full forward at the G the next week

I think it's a bit of a harsh interpretation. He's come in as a number one pick and not got a game while his contemporaries have and he has to deal with the media questioning if he's a bust like all the other key forwards taken at pick one in recent times. In the context of discussing the pressure on him externally I think it makes sense.

For the fitness I interpreted it as 'even though I'm playing I continue to do extra running because I want to be elite in that area and build that base now'. Which is basically what he says next sentence.

bornadog
27-07-2021, 10:25 AM
In fairness, Alex gave Fev another chance. Maybe the rest of us should as well.

Fev had a sickness that got hold of him - gambling. He deserves another chance like we all do.

Topdog
27-07-2021, 10:36 AM

I really had no idea his comments could be interpreted in that way. Almost the complete opposite of how I read it. Seeking out advice, doing extra sessions, getting weekly feedback are all vibes I wouldn't associate with Jakey.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2021, 10:38 AM
Fev had a sickness that got hold of him - gambling. He deserves another chance like we all do.

He went from washed up footballer after a bad trade to Brisbane with no wife and no money. He’s back with the missus and family and part of a seemingly successful radio show. With a daughter whose by all accounts a big social media influencer and opened his house to her boyfriend. He’s a completely different person to the arse clown I dealt with a few times in a past life. To me he looks like a clear example of the story of redemption. Plus if he is so close to Marra, we could do worse than to lean into him.

bornadog
27-07-2021, 10:40 AM
He went from washed up footballer after a bad trade to Brisbane with no wife and no money. He’s back with the missus and family and part of a seemingly successful radio show. With a daughter whose by all accounts a big social media influencer and opened his house to her boyfriend. He’s a completely different person to the arse clown I dealt with a few times in a past life. To me he looks like a clear example of the story of redemption. Plus if he is so close to Marra, we could do worse than to lean into him.

I think we all remember the dickhead Fev, but as you say he has turned his life around. Good on him, it is not easy to do.

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Isn't that what I said but with more words?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Isn't that what I said but with more words?

Classic Narcissism on display.....

Mofra
27-07-2021, 12:14 PM
JUH in the fourth quarter turned his opponent perfectly to lead at the ball carrier twice. That's a real handy trick for a forward, gets real separation. That's a very positive sign as separation from an opponent can be a very difficult skill to learn at the highest level.

comrade
27-07-2021, 12:21 PM
JUH in the fourth quarter turned his opponent perfectly to lead at the ball carrier twice. That's a real handy trick for a forward, gets real separation. That's a very positive sign as separation from an opponent can be a very difficult skill to learn at the highest level.

Josh Kennedy has kicked about 600 goals from that one skill.

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Classic Narcissism on display.....

Guilty your honour.

Mofra
27-07-2021, 02:17 PM
Josh Kennedy has kicked about 600 goals from that one skill.
WCE won that trade

EasternWest
27-07-2021, 05:47 PM
WCE won that trade

As if anyone in their right mind thinks differently.

Kennedy on top of everything is a great team man, and Judd is just an ordinary human all around.

westdog54
28-07-2021, 12:39 AM

Did something similar with his first goal against GC. All it took was a quick goose step in his leading pattern and all of a sudden he's 5 metres out on the lead.

Teams will start putting some serious work into countering him.

Mantis
28-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Did something similar with his first goal against GC. All it took was a quick goose step in his leading pattern and all of a sudden he's 5 metres out on the lead.

Teams will start putting some serious work into countering him.

Which is what they should do, but do we realistically think the opposition's 3rd best tall defender will have the ''smarts'' to go with him?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2021, 07:40 AM
Which is what they should do, but do we realistically think the opposition's 3rd best tall defender will have the ''smarts'' to go with him?

Our defence is not far off the most stingy in the competition. If our attack played our defence, Jamarra would line up on Cordys the third best tall defender (Keath on Naughton, Gardner/Young/Schache on Bruce). How would we see Jamarra Vs Cordy going over 4 quarters? We just have too many good players (less a fit ruckman and possibly a KPD).

Edit: The first against GCS was on the number one defender, Collins. The sealer Vs Melbourne was on Lever. He beat they best the had, let alone the third rung down.

westdog54
28-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Our defence is not far off the most stingy in the competition. If our attack played our defence, Jamarra would line up on Cordys the third best tall defender (Keath on Naughton, Gardner/Young/Schache on Bruce). How would we see Jamarra Vs Cordy going over 4 quarters? We just have too many good players (less a fit ruckman and possibly a KPD).

Edit: The first against GCS was on the number one defender, Collins. The sealer Vs Melbourne was on Lever. He beat they best the had, let alone the third rung down.

This is precisely what I'm getting at. We're now an even bigger match up headache.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2021, 08:27 AM
This is precisely what I'm getting at. We're now an even bigger match up headache.

Isn’t it fun! :D

The kid just keeps playing for mine. If he can generate 2-3 shots a game and do great team stuff like shepherds and chasing and tackling, that will be worth it’s weight in gold later this year. I love the length of his kicking too. I reckon he could go close from 60m out. And we haven’t seen him going for MOTY yet either. God it’s fun to be us.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-07-2021, 04:30 PM
I am wrapt with the Fev family connection. Family based and Fev was brilliant and underachieved.
Marra is a kid with a healthy ego but extremely unlikely to mirror Fev's bad side.