PDA

View Full Version : Jong calls time

Axe Man
04-08-2021, 11:42 AM
Jong calls time (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/993738/jong-calls-time)

https://i.postimg.cc/SxBcQyR3/Lin-Jong-Retirement-1920x1080-ART.webp (https://postimages.org/)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong has announced his retirement from AFL football.

The 28-year-old has played 65 AFL games across a decade-long career at the Kennel, after being recruited with pick nine in the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft.

Jong made one AFL appearance in this season – in round six against the GWS Giants, when he suffered a serious hamstring injury.

Despite his best efforts to return to football, time has run out on his chances of playing AFL football in 2021, prompting the decision to retire.

“I’ve done everything I can to try to get back out there this year, but unfortunately time’s run out on me being able to do that and I’m comfortable that it’s the right time to hang up the boots,” Jong said.

“For the past 10 years, I’ve been fortunate to play football at the highest level for the Western Bulldogs.

“I’ve come a long way as a person and a footballer in that time and I’m really proud of everything I’ve achieved.

“There have been some injury setbacks, but I wouldn’t have my journey any other way.

“I’m grateful to everyone who has supported me across the years – all my teammates and coaches, the medical staff, trainers and our Bulldogs fans. And to my family and close friends who have been with me every step of the journey.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season holds for us and am excited about stepping into the next chapter of my life.”

In his time as a Bulldog, Jong was part of two VFL premierships with Footscray – in 2014 and 2016. He was awarded the Norm Goss Medal as best on ground in the 2016 decider.

He made his AFL debut in round 20, 2012 and played a career-high 16 games in 2016.

Jong’s impact as a Bulldog and in the AFL industry extends beyond his time on the playing field. He has been involved for a number of years as a mentor with Western Bulldogs Community Foundation programs, as an AFL Multicultural Ambassador and a Movember Ambassador.

Bulldogs head of football, Chris Grant, thanked Jong for his contribution over the past 10 years.

“Lin has made a significant contribution as a Western Bulldogs player. Over the past decade, he has become a much-loved, highly respected member of our playing group and he will leave a lasting legacy here,” Grant said.

“His football journey has been unique – and his pathway to becoming an AFL player was quite extraordinary in itself.

“As a player, Lin has been as tough and courageous as they come. He has unfortunately had more than his fair share of battles with injury over the journey, but he will leave the game having done everything he could on and off the field to get the very best out of himself.

“Lin will always be welcome at our club and we’re looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for him.”

comrade
04-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Sad to see Jongy go, the injuries he copped were just unfair.

I hope he can stick around the club in some role moving forward.

Vred
04-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Sad to see Jongy go, the injuries he copped were just unfair.

I hope he can stick around the club in some role moving forward.

Really hope he can stay on at some capacity with Footscray.

Such a good clubman and good bloke, shame his body couldn't hold up

Scraggers
04-08-2021, 11:52 AM
He never really got a good run at it; was definitely a club fave. Hope he stays at the club in some sort of role. His ambassadorial duties until now have been outstanding. Best of luck for the future Lin ... whatever that may be :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Loved Jongy's commitment and resilience. He could've been forgiven for giving it away a lot earlier than this, but he was determined to give it everything he got.
Like others here, hope he find a way to stay involved in some capacity.

kruder
04-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Always had a soft spot for Jongy, who would ever forget his tears on the bench in the first final against WCE in 16. He was celebrating hard a few hours later after we won with a massive smile on his face, absolute team player, and probably too courageous for his own good.

Good luck Jongy.

jeemak
04-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Good luck Jongy!

Mofra
04-08-2021, 12:03 PM
He's got a good head on his shoulders and a good sense of humour. Would be great if he played for Footscray next year

bulldogtragic
04-08-2021, 12:06 PM
It can be such a cruel game. Could’ve really been anything. Thanks for everything Lin.

westbulldog
04-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Barring injuries Lin Jong would have been in the side every week. Courageous and a great mark for his size. Dogs supporters thank him for his dedication and contribution to the Club and wish him well for his future. Hope he continues as an AFL multicultural ambassador.

Insufficient Intent
04-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Jongy's mental resilience and fortitude were peerless during his playing career. Fate delivered him injury constraints time and time again. He never wilted; always wanting to continue and always displayed a positive attitude.
Obviously respected and liked by all at the Club. Hope he can continue with a role at the Kennel well into the future.
Not all champions are from the field of play. You're an outright Champ in your own way Lin, one to be revered.
Best of luck for your next step in life; you deserve a bucketful.

The Doctor
04-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Good luck Jongy. I hope he can stay involved with the club in some way. Such a great club man.

Happy Days
04-08-2021, 12:17 PM
I recently watched back a game against Collingwood from 2016 (don’t ask), and couldn’t believe what I was seeing out of Lin. He kicked 2 or 3 goals on the run from 50, showed a brilliant turn of speed, won multiple hard balls and just generally was outstanding. It was so far removed from the perception that endured in my head of his game. He really was a talented player and it’s such a shame for him and the club that he never really got a chance to build on that season.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

Mitcha
04-08-2021, 12:23 PM
Make him captain of the VFL side moving forward, deserves nothing less.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2021, 12:24 PM
A fan favourite who gave absolutely all he had at all times. Had an unlucky run with injuries but was a huge part of our 2016 flag.

Grantysghost
04-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Pro gamer Lin coming up.

Sad he didn't reach his potential because of a litany of injuries, a really nice fella and great ambassador for our club.

Wish him well for the future, hope he can stay at the club in some capacity.

bornadog
04-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Good luck Jongy, the body just couldn't keep up with the determination and courage you showed.

bornadog
04-08-2021, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udH2c4XXJ0&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

GVGjr
04-08-2021, 12:49 PM
He's been challenged by injuries but what a great guy he's been for us. Hopefully we can keep him at Footscray

Murphy'sLore
04-08-2021, 12:57 PM
All the best, Jongy, you were so brave and so resilient, couldn't have asked for a better role model around the club. You deserved a better run at it, such a shame, but you'll always be a VFL premiership hero to me.

Axe Man
04-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Given his horrendous run with injury and it being the primary reason he is retiring, would he really want to play as high a level as VFL? If he still wants to have a kick he may be better off at a lower level where his body may cope.

An involvement with the NGA could be a good fit for Lin.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Given his horrendous run with injury and it being the primary reason he is retiring, would he really want to play as high a level as VFL? If he still wants to have a kick he may be better off at a lower level where his body may cope.

An involvement with the NGA could be a good fit for Lin.

I’d feel sorry for the teams playing him at lower levels. At only 28 and having the talent to play AFL, he’d destroy lower levels if healthy.

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2021, 01:34 PM
An ounce of luck and he’d have been a premiership hero. He was one of our best in the WC final until fate and a Jeremy McGovern tackle intervened. Footy can be so devastatingly cruel. I hope both body and mind heal from the enormous toll footy exacted from him, and thank him for everything he did on and off the field.

Bulldog4life
04-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Jongy was a favourite of mine when he played. His courage was never doubted. Could take a high mark and his long kicks for goal were uplifting for us fans. No doubt would have played a lot more games for us if not for those bloody injuries. Enjoy the next stage in your life mate.

Testekill
04-08-2021, 01:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fdtYKj0z4

Best of luck Jong, would love to see you stay with Footscray and I'm sure the club would love to have you stay on as a leader.

MrMahatma
04-08-2021, 02:32 PM
All the best Jongy. Loved watching you over the years.

Dancin' Douggy
04-08-2021, 02:35 PM
Pretty sad news actually. Never really got to have the career he deserved. All the best for the future Jongy.

comrade
04-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Pretty sad news actually. Never really got to have the career he deserved. All the best for the future Jongy.

Yeah, it sucks. Just watched his highlights and he had some sensational moments in the red, white and blue. Deserved to play so many more games than he did.

Mantis
04-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Sad news... would've loved to have seen him get a good run at it as he had some really unique skills, but them's the breaks.

Looks to be a great guy and can only wish him the best as his AFL career comes to a close.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2021, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it sucks. Just watched his highlights and he had some sensational moments in the red, white and blue. Deserved to play so many more games than he did.

Loyal too. Knocked back a huge offer from GCS and a possible move to Collingwood. Loyal to the end.

Eastdog
04-08-2021, 03:29 PM
I feel for Lin Jong. A great clubman who just never got a good run at it. Great to have seen him play in both the 2014 and 2016 VFL premierships which I attended at Docklands - went onto the ground after we won the 2014 VFL flag. I wish him all the best for what comes next and as other woofers have said would be great to keep him at the club in some capacity.

DOG GOD
04-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Shattered. My fave bulldog player. Ravaged with injury and never saw the best of him unfortunately. Seems like a one of a kind great guy too. All the best Lin.

Testekill
04-08-2021, 07:11 PM
https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1422785776438308865

Grantysghost
04-08-2021, 07:13 PM

I promised myself I wasn't going to cry.....

comrade
04-08-2021, 07:30 PM

Brutal.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Class to the end.

Insufficient Intent
04-08-2021, 09:22 PM

Humility personified.

josie
04-08-2021, 09:36 PM
Thanks Jongy for you commitment to keep persisting through those cruel injuries and fighting to play. I enjoyed watching you in AFL and VFL and you were a great ambassador for the club. Your Mum Faith was always so lovely to chat to during games. I’ll always remember the excitement of you being a bull in the clearances, your tough tackling and taking some strong overhead marks.

All the best with you life after footy. I recall you plan to be a teacher and I reckon if your as committed to teaching as you were to getting every ounce out of yourself throughout the last 10 years then the students you will teach are fortunate indeed.

jazzadogs
04-08-2021, 10:09 PM
There's not many 2x premiership Scraggers.

Well done on persevering and forging out a career with some spectacular moments.

Dry Rot
04-08-2021, 10:40 PM
Jong gave everything when he went onto the field in our colours, didn't leave anything out there. Courageous.

Setback after setback, he came back and gave the team his all.

Was he our most talented player? Did he not have serious flaws?

No and yes.

But I will always have far more respect for Jong than talented finger pointing former Bulldogs like Higgins and Stringer

Topdog
04-08-2021, 11:50 PM
Good on ya Jongy. Absolutely gave his all every step of the way.

The Underdog
05-08-2021, 09:43 AM
Not sure there’ll be too many guys who played less than 100 games who’ll be remembered more fondly.
Gave everything he had and was an absolute class act. Even got a free tour of the Collingwood training facilities as a bonus.

bornadog
05-08-2021, 10:01 AM
From Lin Jong on Instagram:

It’s been such an incredible ride over the past 10 years but I’ve decided to call it time, there’s been plenty of laughs, tears, happy memories, heart break and I wouldn’t change a single thing.

Thank you to the @westernbulldogs for taking a chance on me, thanks to the all the fans for their support, thanks to my friends and family for everything and thanks to anyone I played with past and present.

I’ve met so many great people along the way and am proud of what I have accomplished during this part of my life, my heart is full. I’m not sure what lies ahead, but for now it’s plenty of r&r, beers, red wine and watching the boys go deep into the finals ❤️����

Who’s hiring?

Axe Man
05-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Not sure there’ll be too many guys who played less than 100 games who’ll be remembered more fondly.
Gave everything he had and was an absolute class act. Even got a free tour of the Collingwood training facilities as a bonus.

Clay Smith and Lin Jong are remarkably similar. Both hard nuts and part of our 2016 squad that had their careers cut significantly short by injury. Plenty of love for both.

macca
05-08-2021, 06:36 PM
One of players I really wished to could have played more games.

2016 was a key contributor to the premiership team. I will never forget.

Watched him live at the 2016 VFL grand final and he completely smashed it. Outmarked Weidermann, Dunn, and ran all day, can't find the stats, but recall he may have kicked 3 goals. BOG performance.

He had elite attributes with his speed and strong in the marking contest. Had good natural instinct to hunt the ball in stoppages. Could run all day and never shirked a contest. Always seemed to be on end of goal runs and great value as a goal kicker.

Thank you Jongy for all your efforts and your a champion in my eyes. Wishing you all the best in next chapter of your life.

Match report: https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48065725

VFL Grand final highlightshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtM3TpbfVJQ

comrade
05-08-2021, 06:56 PM
Match report: https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48065725

VFL Grand final highlightshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtM3TpbfVJQ

Doing the long drive back from Sydney the morning after the prelim, to make it to Docklands just as the VFL GF started and then see Jongy play out of his skin with the wrong shoulder strapped was one of my all time favourite Dogs moments.

whythelongface
05-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Thanks Jongy. All the best for the future.

EasternWest
05-08-2021, 08:50 PM
What a great guy. Loved watching him in our colours. Too courageous for his own good.

jazzadogs
05-08-2021, 10:13 PM
Clay Smith and Lin Jong are remarkably similar. Both hard nuts and part of our 2016 squad that had their careers cut significantly short by injury. Plenty of love for both.

Who was the last one in to the 2016 team i.e. who replaced Lin? Was it Roberts? McLean?

WBFC4FFC
05-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Who was the last one in to the 2016 team i.e. who replaced Lin? Was it Roberts? McLean?

Not sure but Suckling was an omission later in the finals series with a leg injury.

Still think a fit Jong is in our best 22. Great mark for his size, especially down the line in a contest. Invaluable come Finals time, aside from his toughness.

More importantly, seems like a great person too. Hope Lin has left the Club as a better person then when he arrived, because he sure as hell made the Club better overall.

bornadog
05-08-2021, 11:00 PM
Not sure but Suckling was an omission later in the finals series with a leg injury.

Still think a fit Jong is in our best 22. Great mark for his size, especially down the line in a contest. Invaluable come Finals time, aside from his toughness.

More importantly, seems like a great person too. Hope Lin has left the Club as a better person then when he arrived, because he sure as hell made the Club better overall.

When he arrived he was an 18 year old kid, just finished year 12 and we rookied him. He was on our table at the season launch and he was a shy bloke, but I could tell he was a nice bloke as well.

Axe Man
06-08-2021, 11:54 AM

I think it went Jong to McLean for the hawks and then Suckling to Roberts for GWS. No change for the grand final.

Happy Days
06-08-2021, 12:13 PM
I haven’t forgotten some of you wanted Biggs dropped for Suckling just saying.

Axe Man
06-08-2021, 12:39 PM

Wasn't Suckling injured? Achilles from memory.

jazzadogs
06-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Wasn't Suckling injured? Achilles from memory.

He put his hand up for the Grand final, but he missed the prelim with injury.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-08-2021, 07:02 PM
All the best Jongo.

Still my favourite East Timorise/Taiwanese player ever.

R.I.P.

EasternWest
06-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Now you're making things up. Nobody in their right mind would want this.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Never quite got the continuity he needed.

All the best for the future Jongy and well done on persisting for so long.

bornadog
06-08-2021, 10:13 PM
Now you're making things up. Nobody in their right mind would want this.

Wasn't that you?

EasternWest
06-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Wasn't that you?

I'd pick you ahead of Suckling.

bornadog
07-08-2021, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MbI9-Kj60&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

macca
08-08-2021, 03:58 AM
thanks for the barkly street podcast. Jongy was very much highly respected and loved by his team mates and the club.
His team mates loved his ferocity and not afaird of a contest.

Cant believe he played with a broken hand and was winning taping out in the ruck.
Busted Collarbone
ACL
Hammy
Really serious injuries

Just found this . My respect for him just went up to another level. Respect for any one who has had to go through rehab. I could not comprehend the toughness these men go through to rehab themselves.

287 days- 8 months to return from a ACL. Fair effort considering its normally 9 months

The focus and dedication to get everything right and then to get back into the team. Jongy your a champion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe8fnp88LWM

boydogs
08-08-2021, 01:49 PM
287 days is 9.5 months. Kinda early but nothing heroic about it, its just a bit weak and subject to giving out but not like he was in pain. Other injuries though, yeah, strapping the wrong shoulder to take the field in a GF was tough