PDA

View Full Version : Deeply ashamed' Walker cops lengthy ban and huge fine after racial slur

bornadog
06-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Read story here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/659276/-deeply-ashamed-walker-cops-lengthy-ban-and-huge-fine-after-racial-slur)

6 match ban plus fines.

Disgusting in this day and age.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Top bloke though….

If they wanted to make a statement 10+ would’ve been it. I watched the closing the gap presser yesterday and felt optimistic as a country and people it was moving in the right direction. Which we may genuinely be. But one of the most recognisable footy players in the country doing this not helping the cause. One of my framed footy records is from the 90’s with the headline ‘Racism: The games up’ and I got Alan Joyce (coach), Scott Wynd (capt) and Richard Osborne (FF) to autograph it. 25 years on from that, and racism is still in the fabric of things, be it this and everything at Collingwood. Just a sad and disappointing reminder that the work of combating hateful ignorance is never done. It’s going to be awkward for indigenous players at Adelaide to share a side with him.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2021, 11:03 AM
The professor just got a huge case study for his PhD.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2021, 02:56 PM
What did he say?

Axe Man
06-08-2021, 03:48 PM
What did he say?

From what I have read there was an incident during the game between Young and a Crows player that Tex took exception to. At the huddle in one of the breaks Tex apparently said to one of the Crows players something along the lines of smash that black c-word. Crows official overheard him and reported it.

GVGjr
06-08-2021, 04:20 PM
He should have known better but has copped a decent whack.
Hopefully others have also learned a lesson.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2021, 05:05 PM
He should have known better but has copped a decent whack.
Hopefully others have also learned a lesson.

After their ‘camp’ you’d think the lesson was in practice. I wonder if like after the ‘camp’ some indigenous players don’t feel as welcome there now. He didn’t try to hide it. One account says the comment was at/to Matt Crouch, with at least two players and two admin staff confirming they heard it. I did feel for Nicks though, having to face the media for something he didn’t say.

1eyedog
06-08-2021, 05:34 PM
What did he say?

Black C

jeemak
06-08-2021, 06:27 PM
The big tell will be how the official who reported it is treated internally.

Happy Days
06-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Is this where we talk about what a beautiful field kick he is?

What a chud.

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2021, 07:22 PM
What he said was sickening and abhorrent but if he had just called the player a ‘c…’ without references to race it would have been ‘acceptable’ I take it? The AFL doesn’t seem to think too much about the sentiments of its many female supporters.

ratsmac
06-08-2021, 08:34 PM
What a rolled gold dickhead!

jeemak
06-08-2021, 08:45 PM
What he said was sickening and abhorrent but if he had just called the player a ‘c…’ without references to race it would have been ‘acceptable’ I take it? The AFL doesn’t seem to think too much about the sentiments of its many female supporters.

They certainly don't.

chef
06-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Hopefully he never plays again.

merantau
06-08-2021, 10:16 PM
They certainly don't.

You are definitely right.

bornadog
06-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Tex has always been a great bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLslypMyRgQ&t=68s&ab_channel=Dallyance

jeemak
06-08-2021, 10:41 PM
Tex has always been a great bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLslypMyRgQ&t=68s&ab_channel=Dallyance

I love how an umpire can pretend it didn't happen and allow the goal.

chef
09-08-2021, 09:08 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFL/status/1424667614387740676

Worst apologiy ever. Poor me written all over it.

merantau
10-08-2021, 08:14 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFL/status/1424667614387740676

Worst apologiy ever. Poor me written all over it.

Have to agree. Anyone looking at that without the sound would think it was Walker who had been wronged. Is Eddie Everywhere handling the Crows crisis management team? That was just ... you had to see it and hear it to believe it. I feel doubly sorry for Young. First the racist abuse and then the very uncomfortable mea culpa which ends with Walker being the bloke who needs support. I shake my head.

GVGjr
10-08-2021, 09:12 PM
Just watching Eddie Bets on AFL 360. Very raw, he's clearly struggling with this ongoing battle.

Great bloke Eddie, he could do so much for the AFL in this area.

By the way, what has happened to Robbo?

azabob
10-08-2021, 09:34 PM
Just watching Eddie Bets on AFL 360. Very raw, he's clearly struggling with this ongoing battle.

Great bloke Eddie, he good do so much for the AFL in this area.

By the way, what has happened to Robbo?

A few weeks ago it was announced he has a health battle. He has also taken leave from the paper.

divvydan
10-08-2021, 09:36 PM
A few weeks ago it was announced he has a health battle. He has also taken leave from the paper.

He and his employers have been very clear about not giving any details. Given the time he's had off already, it's clearly fairly serious. He's hit and miss for me as a footy "expert" but hopefully he's okay.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 09:37 PM

Have they said what it is yet? I saw Gerard explain there would be an absence. But it’s been kept very quiet.

GVGjr
10-08-2021, 09:42 PM

Thanks Aza, I heard Gerald say Robbo wasn't well but weeks later it seems a bit more serious than I first thought

bornadog
10-08-2021, 09:47 PM
Thanks Aza, I heard Gerald say Robbo wasn't well but weeks later it seems a bit more serious than I first thought

I don't like Robbo much but wish him well with his health

divvydan
10-08-2021, 10:02 PM
Feel for Eddie Betts. He's been the face in recent times of the AFL movement against racism and this clearly hurt him severely. If you have the chance to watch him on tonight's AFL 360, I recommend you do so.

Throughandthrough
12-08-2021, 01:59 PM
https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/08/11/taylor-walker-racism-response-shows-we-have-a-long-way-to-go/

Well worth reading. Powerful and educational.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 03:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8i_sJdVkAIeNcu?format=jpg&name=large

GVGjr
12-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Well done to the club for coming to the support of Eddie and uniting us all to stand up against racism

jeemak
12-08-2021, 06:23 PM
https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/08/11/taylor-walker-racism-response-shows-we-have-a-long-way-to-go/

Nailed.

azabob
14-08-2021, 07:55 AM
Is it a lengthy ban?
Players association have sold out the Indigenous community and players.

They love to preach and come down hard on supporters for the same behaviour calling for life bans on membership and attending games. Yet when a former club captain who has spent years playing with Indigenous stars of our game, would have attend many educational sessions the outcome is inadequate.

Don’t even get me started on that contrived, scripted apology…

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 09:32 AM
Is it a lengthy ban?

They love to preach and come down hard on supporters for the same behaviour calling for life bans on membership and attending games. Yet when a former club captain who has spent years playing with Indigenous stars of our game, would have attend many educational sessions the outcome is inadequate.

I get what you are saying but I still don't know what the right answer is.
6 weeks should be a substantial penalty especially given the exposure it has also received.
I'm not sure that a say 12 week penalty or a lifetime ban is a better result for anyone.

I do think the competition can learn from this and it sends a strong message. Perhaps 12 weeks would send a stronger message
I'd also be hopeful that Walker has learned a valuable lesson and that he can come out of this a better person and an advocate for a more racially aware footy community.

What stands out is that the effort clubs and the AFL provide to educate players on drugs, gambling and racism isn't sinking in with enough of the players as they would hope.

jeemak
14-08-2021, 09:39 AM
Is it a lengthy ban?

I for one would like to see you get started on that contrived, scripted apology. It's exactly what the situation needs. I mean Az you're a pretty level headed dude from what I can tell from your years of posting here, possibly a bit of a high quality shit stirrer as well. You're exactly the type of person we need letting rip on this stuff.

A lot of racism is born from a lack of education and a lack of maturity. We shouldn't be where we are but we are, and I agree that letting off folks with a six match ban and banning others for life and publicly whipping them isn't the right way to go about it. It's about time we set some boundaries that everyone can adhere to and be accountable to, without everyone losing their shit on one hand and being at the opposite end of the spectrum on the other. If Joe Blogs gets a lifetime ban for saying what Tex did in the crowd then Tex should get a lifetime ban for saying it on the field as a spectator. If we think that's too much then let's have a conversation about it and figure out what's respectful and practical for everyone.

We've got to get better, but publicly flogging some people and not others isn't the way we will.

The bulldog tragician
14-08-2021, 11:57 AM
I for one would like to see you get started on that contrived, scripted apology. It's exactly what the situation needs. I mean Az you're a pretty level headed dude from what I can tell from your years of posting here, possibly a bit of a high quality shit stirrer as well. You're exactly the type of person we need letting rip on this stuff.

A lot of racism is born from a lack of education and a lack of maturity. We shouldn't be where we are but we are, and I agree that letting off folks with a six match ban and banning others for life and publicly whipping them isn't the right way to go about it. It's about time we set some boundaries that everyone can adhere to and be accountable to, without everyone losing their shit on one hand and being at the opposite end of the spectrum on the other. If Joe Blogs gets a lifetime ban for saying what Tex did in the crowd then Tex should get a lifetime ban for saying it on the field as a spectator. If we think that's too much then let's have a conversation about it and figure out what's respectful and practical for everyone.

We've got to get better, but publicly flogging some people and not others isn't the way we will.

Perhaps unsurprisingly Eddie McGuire has blundered into the issue of the scripted apology by saying President Obama read speeches from an auto cue. Our own Lin Jong highlighted this idiotic comparison on Twitter.
https://i.postimg.cc/G2Ynb5V4/D2-F39053-6146-4310-A28-E-B98-DB170935-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/47JS5BJG)

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Perhaps unsurprisingly Eddie McGuire has blundered into the issue of the scripted apology by saying President Obama read speeches from an auto cue. Our own Lin Jong highlighted this idiotic comparison on Twitter.
https://i.postimg.cc/G2Ynb5V4/D2-F39053-6146-4310-A28-E-B98-DB170935-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/47JS5BJG)

As if one needs more reasons to love Lin Jong.

bornadog
14-08-2021, 01:10 PM
As if one needs more reasons to love Lin Jong.

Lin was allegedly racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Lin was racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.

For real? What did the club do about it?

bornadog
14-08-2021, 01:38 PM
For real? What did the club do about it?

One of the many reasons Stringer is no longer there

chef
14-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Walker should be finished In anything prominent in society. If he hasn't learnt anything by now he never will.

Hes just your typical racist and im glad he's been caught out and shamed.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Lin was racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.

Whoa….Jake really is a wanker of the highest order.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 01:50 PM
One of the many reasons Stringer is no longer there

Assuming this happened during the season did we just accept it by keeping it in house?
We can debate the severity of the sanction that Adelaide handed out to Walker but did we 'out' Stringer publicly or drop him to send a message to the playing group it wasn't going to be accepted?
If not, did we really do enough to support Lin Jong?

hujsh
14-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Assuming this happened during the season did we just accept it by keeping it in house?
We can debate the severity of the sanction that Adelaide handed out to Walker but did we 'out' Stringer publicly or drop him to send a message to the playing group it wasn't going to be accepted?
If not, did we really do enough to support Lin Jong?

There's a lot we don't know unless Bornadog knows and can share more.

I'd imagine we'd have to take Lin's feelings into account around whether it be public or not

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 01:59 PM
There's a lot we don't know unless Bornadog knows and can share more.

I'd imagine we'd have to take Lin's feelings into account around whether it be public or not

While that's true should he have been demoted or dropped all together? Waiting until the end of the season isn't a genuine or committed response to stamp it out of the club.

You can't be 'half in' with racism and I'd fully expect a player to be stood down or suspended.
On face value, until BAD shares more, we have effectively swept it under the carpet and attempted to manage it in house.
If so, is that good enough?

Our coaches must have walked past some terrible behaviors in 2017 preferring to wait until the end of the season to address it.

bornadog
14-08-2021, 02:06 PM
While that's true should he not have been demoted or dropped all together? Waiting until the end of the season isn't a genuine or committed response to stamp it out of the club.

You can't be 'half in' with racism and I'd fully expect a player to be stood down or suspended.
On face value, until BAD shares more, we have effectively swept it under the carpet and attempted to manage it in house.
If so, is that good enough?

All I can say is my wife's nieces fiancé told me a few years ago, and knows Lin. That is all I know. I should amend by saying allegedly, but I have no reason to doubt him. I think it was locker talk, and he I recall he kept it to himself, and made no complaint (at the time) to the club in order to keep harmony amongst the group.

That is all I know.

PS: The fiancé is very sensitive to racial abuse as he is part Australian and part Filipino.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 03:16 PM
All I can say is my wife's nieces fiancé told me a few years ago, and knows Lin. That is all I know. I should amend by saying allegedly, but I have no reason to doubt him. I think it was locker talk, and he I recall he kept it to himself, and made no complaint (at the time) to the club in order to keep harmony amongst the group.

That is all I know.

PS: The fiancé is very sensitive to racial abuse as he is part Australian and part Filipino.

Thanks for clarifying but the source seems solid. When you said it was one of the reason why Stringer was no longer at the club I assumed it was a known issue.

Any insights why we might not have addressed it during the season?

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying but the source seems solid. When you said it was one of the reason why Stringer was no longer at the club I assumed it was a known issue.

Any insights why we might not have addressed it during the season?

As it was a few years ago I'm gonna go with "Stringer was in good form/still a potential talent" so it was inconvenient to out him.

We like to think we're better than other clubs but in reality I don't know if we are.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 08:38 PM
As it was a few years ago I'm gonna go with "Stringer was in good form/still a potential talent" so it was inconvenient to out him.

We like to think we're better than other clubs but in reality I don't know if we are.

Unfortunately it does appear that the emotions of many supporters on this subject can be minimised if it has the potential to affect their own club, a star player or a finals campaign.
It's all good and well to be outraged by Walkers comments but with what BAD has shared today it seems we waited until the end of the season to address the matter and I don't think that is good enough.
We should be questioning why the coaches, team mates and footy staff didn't address the situation when it occurred.
We will never have a productive indigenous programme if people are willing to accept racism based on a ladder postion.

Mofra
26-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Rumoured to be retiring today

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 04:08 PM
Dippa dropped the term 'abo' at one point. He was sent up north to do a tour of aboriginal communities.
I strongly feel unless this type of strategy isn't applied here it's a complete waste.
Because actually, Tex could do a lot of good as a person.
We want to grow people not banish them forever. What is the point of that?
Sure, fines, punishment, bans, but education is the way to heal it.

I hate what happened to Matt Rendell. Zero tolerance for racism.
But attack the problem with intelligence.

Crows have an important part to play in shaping the future of indigenous programs. Let's hope they sort it.

Mofra
26-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Dippa dropped the term 'abo' at one point. He was sent up north to do a tour of aboriginal communities.
I strongly feel unless this type of strategy isn't applied here it's a complete waste.

Crows have an important part to play in shaping the future of indigenous programs. Let's hope they sort it.
Tex seems pretty committed to righting his wrongs.
Not excusing what he said but he does at least sound genuine about what has happened.

bornadog
26-08-2021, 04:33 PM
Walker breaks silence after racist comment, playing future unclear (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670635/walker-breaks-silence-after-racist-comment-playing-future-unclear)

BANNED Adelaide forward Taylor Walker says his AFL future is undecided while he tries to repair the pain caused by his racist remark.

Walker has yet to consider playing on next year, having served three games of a six-match ban for making a racist comment.

"To me at the moment, playing is not my priority - it's repairing relationships with the people that I have hurt is my main priority," Walker told reporters on Thursday.

It was Walker's first appearance in front of the media after previously issuing a statement following his punishment where he said: "There is no excuse or justification for the words I said. They are unacceptable and I take full accountability for that.

"I am deeply ashamed. I did not intend to cause harm, but I know and understand that I have caused deep hurt to the official who reported the matter and to Robbie Young."

Later, he made a video apology, where Young sat with him, and at one time reached out to Walker who fought back tears (watch in the player below).

More to come

The bulldog tragician
26-08-2021, 07:19 PM

I just don’t know what more he needs to “learn” after playing alongside several indigenous players including Eddie Betts who’s been outspoken against racism. Is it so ingrained/unconscious in some people that it can never be eradicated?

Dancin' Douggy
26-08-2021, 08:30 PM
I agree with this attitude. Education is the answer. Punishment may be an unavoidable part of the process, but if you can educate someone it's like planting a seed.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2021, 01:46 AM
I just don’t know what more he needs to “learn” after playing alongside several indigenous players including Eddie Betts who’s been outspoken against racism. Is it so ingrained/unconscious in some people that it can never be eradicated?

People learn and have to re-learn all their lives. Some lessons are forgotten or the lesson diminished needing to be re-set. You might not convince some people but we are talking about Tex Walker here. Doesn't seem like someone not wanting to move forward with it.

In one lifetime, from here on, he may go off and teach 100 kids how to play footy, to redeem himself. Is it really beyond us to forgive him and lose the up side? or is it better to permanently hound someone for their transgression for the rest of his life. i know what the kids would prefer.

jeemak
27-08-2021, 02:58 AM

I think one line in this article sums it up perfectly for me, albeit one of many excellent points made.

I can’t be more clear – a victim should not be the one consoling the perpetrator, as we saw this week.

The perpetrator in this instance, Tex, shouldn't be consoled, yet he shouldn't be banned from trying to make amends verbally and through action. The insatiable lust for public Tex floggings smacks of a public that probably needs to see a good month of what it's like to live in a society where public floggings are actually a thing. Public floggings are horrible, they don't achieve anything, and we need to be better.

I've long had an issue with "donating to a women's charity" or "donating to an indigenous foundation" as a form of punishment, because these are things we should just do anyway because we can collectively afford it and they're the right things to do. When people stuff up let's just hold them to account for the things they say they're going to do to be better.

So over to you Tex, help us make society a place where when white people say horrible things about people of colour, white people don't get consoled as if they're the victims. The rest of us will give you the space to do it, come back to us in twelve months time and show us that you have.

The bulldog tragician
27-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Not looking for public flogging, don’t think it’s impossible to make amends…my post was just about I would think the best way to get rid of racism is to work (play) alongside others - that it persists even when he has had that day to day contact with his indigenous teammates makes me rather sad.

GVGjr
27-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Not looking for public flogging, don’t think it’s impossible to make amends…my post was just about I would think the best way to get rid of racism is to work (play) alongside others - that it persists even when he has had that day to day contact with his indigenous teammates makes me rather sad.

I'm probably in the opposing camp and feel that this could be a learning moment for both Walker and the footy world.
Walker needs to regain the trust of the club, the players and the footy public but I believe this can be done.

This isn't pointed at you or anyone but BAD recently shared that Lin Jong was subjected to racism in 2017 by a now former player of ours.
I find it hard to believe the club wouldn't have been aware of this exactly when it happened but yet it appears we waited until the seasons end to address it whereas the Crows took swift and decisive action that many appear to believe was insufficient.

I'd be all for a consistent standard in addressing racism by anyone at a club in terms of a set penalty because it would send the strongest possible message but I'm just not sure what the right answer is.
I just hope all clubs look past the ladder position to determine when it should be applied.