PDA

View Full Version : My Favourite Round 1 Performance

W W Biscuit
17-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I love the build up to Round 1 - the delirious cocktail of speculation and tingling optimism. Where a solid first-up performance can barely restrain the talk of premierships or a sub-par effort immediately triggers a Privey Council enquiry. Bring it on!

No doubt that many supporters will rate our twenty goal thumping of Richmond as a hard to beat Round 1 memory. Hard to argue with that, but I can recall a performance that was even more gratifying. The year was 1992 - the opponent, Adelaide. The venue - Footy Park. It was Rohan Smith's first game. Earlier in the year, we were absolutely smacked by the Crows in the pre-seaon comp. I mean, SMACKED! Sitting in the VFL Park outer with a Crow supporting mate, he was almost soiling his pants as he gloated about 'if you think that's bad, just think about what we're going to do to you in Adelaide.' Well, ha! The Doggies were on a mission that day at Footy Park, and the silence from the outer was deafening. The final margin, which I think was about five goals, flattered our opponents. I was so pumped about the season that lay ahead - and indeed it did turn out to be a good one. We followed up with perhaps a more impressive win at home against the Saints too.

Anyway, that's my favourite memory. What's yours?

Sedat
18-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Fond memory there from a great season. One other great Round 1 memory was same venue, same opponent in 1999. Scores were close to level at 3/4 time and we stormed home into the wind to get up by about 3 goals. A very satisfying win.

From years past, Round 1 1983 would have been one of the biggest upsets of all time. Reigning wooden spooner beat the reigning back-to-back premier at the kennel. Almost a sense of disbelief in the paper's the next day.

Ozza
18-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I remember that Adelaide game in 1992 - still have vivid images of Bubba running into an open goal and slotting it - I think it was a 31 point margin. Hard to beat our 118 point flogging of Richmond to start a year! Or even last years start against Geelong!

1990 - Chris Grant's first game was memorable - even more memorable was the following week against Sydney who we always struggled against. I was only 7 yrs old and remember my old man and his mates were right on the beers at home - declaring they'd have a can for every goal we kicked. We won by 12 goals, Leon cameron was best on in his first game, Grant kicked 4 and plenty of beers were had by the contingent.

Desipura
18-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Beating Carlton at Princess Park in 1985 was one of those games where we looked like a team going places. The likes of Hardie, Beasley and McPherson having a field day was great to watch.
I remember after the game feeling something special was going to happen that year.
Although it did not eventuate, we played in a prelim final and were very stiff not to play in a GF.

aker39
18-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Beating Collingwood a couple of years ago at the MCG on the Easter weekend.

W W Biscuit
18-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Sedat - that was a momentous win in 83 against the Blues. I remember listening to it on the radio and going ballistic. It was actually Round 2 - we went down to Geelong in the first round at VFL Park. Despite losing that game, I distinctly remember being impressed with our new look side. We had such a player turnover between 82-83. Templeton and Dunstan left, and the likes of Purser, Royal, Sewell, Williams, Kellett, Hansen and Wallis arrived. After the Carlton game, we won the next three. Like me, you must have been absolutely euphoric. Three games was our total number of wins in '82. That Carlton game was a real watershed - I think, in that game, we saw the end of a very dark era and the start of a far more respectable 80s period.

The Coon Dog
18-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Beating Carlton at Princess Park in 1985 was one of those games where we looked like a team going places. The likes of Hardie, Beasley and McPherson having a field day was great to watch.
I remember after the game feeling something special was going to happen that year.
Although it did not eventuate, we played in a prelim final and were very stiff not to play in a GF.

Hardie was fantastic that day running out of defence. Pieman kicked a bag too. What about another round 1 game at Princes Park (not Princess Park) where John Georgiades ran amok!

Sedat
18-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Sedat - that was a momentous win in 83 against the Blues. I remember listening to it on the radio and going ballistic. It was actually Round 2 - we went down to Geelong in the first round at VFL Park. Despite losing that game, I distinctly remember being impressed with our new look side. We had such a player turnover between 82-83. Templeton and Dunstan left, and the likes of Purser, Royal, Sewell, Williams, Kellett, Hansen and Wallis arrived. After the Carlton game, we won the next three. Like me, you must have been absolutely euphoric. Three games was our total number of wins in '82. That Carlton game was a real watershed - I think, in that game, we saw the end of a very dark era and the start of a far more respectable 80s period.
You're right, it was round 2, thanks for correcting. We won 4 in a row including the previous year's grand finalists until we met Essendon at Windy Hill in Round 6, who proceeded to give us a savage dose of reality to the tune of 140-odd points. Still, the wheels were in motion and for the next 6 years were were never anything less than extremely competitive. Seasons 1980-82 were about as dark as it gets for a young fella to support a footy team. There was just no hope each week. I remember we copped at least half a dozen 120+point drubbings during that dark period.

Was it Round 1 in 1984 when the Pieman kicked a lazy 12 in a demolition of Richmond?

That Collingwood win in the opening round of 2005 was very, very sweet. Any win against the filth is one to be savoured.

Desipura
18-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Hardie was fantastic that day running out of defence. Pieman kicked a bag too. What about another round 1 game at Princes Park (not Princess Park) where John Georgiades ran amok!
Remember that game well. You know what, I was not convinced Georgiades was going to make it even after ke kicked the 8 goals. Most of his goals he just happened to be on his own. I knew he would eventually get found out. Still was a great start to the year.

LostDoggy
18-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Yep, 1989 was the year, pity he couldnt keep the effort up after the first couple of games. I think he kicked a bag for the next 2 weeks, then faded into the background.

From reading these posts, we appear to have quite a good record in opening rounds against, the Tiggers, Blues & Crows.

Then again we seemed to always play Adelaide in the 1st round for a few years there !!

Bulldog Revolution
18-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Thumping Richmond was a very peaceful way to begin 06, Johnnos magic display in 07 was also something

Did Georgiadis kick 9 in his first game in a round 1, i wasn't there, but remember loving every minute of it on the radio - just saw TCD had already mentioned it, bugger

did a guy Shields once kick 5 for us on debut also in a round 1? what was his first name

bornadog
18-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Did Georgiadis kick 9 in his first game in a round 1,

Yes I was there and it was against Carlton at Princes Park, that was a great day. Pity he faded after that.

The Coon Dog
18-03-2008, 11:26 PM
did a guy Shields once kick 5 for us on debut also in a round 1? what was his first name
Russell Shields played for Hawthorn in the mid 80's then played 3 games for us in 1988, kicking 7 goals, so he well may have bagged 5 in a game. In round 1 we defeated Sydney at VFL Park, 102 -76.

The Coon Dog
18-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes I was there and it was against Carlton at Princess Park, that was a great day. Pity he faded after that.
Grrrrrrrrr, a bugbear of mine that, it's Princes Park! ;)

Like when people whack an 's' on Shaggy's surname & refer to him as Hargraves.

BulldogBelle
18-03-2008, 11:32 PM
No doubt that many supporters will rate our twenty goal thumping of Richmond as a hard to beat Round 1 memory.

Nothing brings me more joy that beating Richmond, that game will be etched in memory forever seeing Wallace so miserable after the thumping...absolutely made my day!

BulldogBelle
18-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes I was there and it was against Carlton at Princess Park, that was a great day. Pity he faded after that.

I remember walking away from that game and thinking..WOW! what have we uncovered.