PDA

View Full Version : Can we still win it?

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Likely handed top spot to another. Now looking possibly Geelong in Week 1 in Melbourne take the opportunity we’ve given them.

Martin still “2-3” weeks as he’s been. English rucking solo in finals? Sweet not up to the heat of a final. No Bruce for support (see below). Naughton seemed confused at it. Schache maybe as the support.

Bruce with an ACL (per Landsberger). Marra isn’t ready for a seasoned #2 KPD. Move Schache back forward? Young as a forward? Or keeping Josh back and Cordy forward? But surely you double team Naughton and deal with the others.

Players seem a bit lost coming back from injury. Naughton seems hesitant, Dunkley seems timid, Richards can’t play forward of the ball.

Small forwards lack any sustained form (ex. Weightman), more notably Scott & JJ.

Shoving all our gun mids in the side, into varied roles. Is it too much of a good thing?

How do we stare down September now?

comrade
08-08-2021, 08:25 PM
In a word...no.

DOG GOD
08-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Without Bruce, and with an underdone Keath, and no Martin, we are unfortunately NO chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2021, 08:26 PM
We're no chance now.

Ruck situation is still diabolical and now we're a key forward who's kicked 50 goals down. We're hoping our best key defender will be right to go. Our backline was a concern even with Keath.

Hard not to feel cursed with this club.

I'd play Schache as the leading forward and possibly Sweet so English can try to offer something deep forward.

bulldogtragic
What of Macrae, Libba, Treloar, Dunks & Smith.

Bonts to CHF.

EasternWest
No. And extra letters because WOOF doesn't let me just say no.

bornadog
08-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Of course we can. We have had a pretty good year and the opposition are all floundering as well.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Done for. We just don’t get the same luck as other clubs. Losing our leading goal kicker makes things very hard.

Grantysghost
08-08-2021, 08:32 PM
We can. Because there's no real stand out. We had a sh1t day, but we have a good side, we've got top four and maybe we can do it for Josh. Could be an inspiration for the team who knows. Triumph over adversity and all that crap.

My gut feel is we need some 2016 magical fairy dust though.

ReLoad
08-08-2021, 08:34 PM
We’re kaput.

Injuries have got us right where it hurts., it’s going to take some 2016 like magic from here.

Topdog
08-08-2021, 08:46 PM
Wow some negative nellies in here, yes we can

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 08:48 PM

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

SonofScray
08-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Yes. We can.

I am more confident now than I was earlier today.

Happy Days
08-08-2021, 08:51 PM
Yeah we can. Keath will come back and he's the only missing piece we can't cover.

Bruce is a terrible loss and would have to assume the group will be shattered for him, but we are far stronger in terms of key forwards than with key defenders. And English was pretty bad, but had been pretty good for about a month before today.

I think it's unlikely but it's not a straight no. Have you seen some of the guys we do have?

comrade
08-08-2021, 08:58 PM
I think it's unlikely but it's not a straight no. Have you seen some of the guys we do have?

Yeah, they played like **** today.

jeemak
08-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Yes, we can and will win it.

A change in tact from our midfielders who were arrogant today will get it done. Hell, we should have won today by a few goals and if we did, we'd all be saying it's doable and the Bruce injury is just another challenge we have to overcome because his goals don't count anyway.

Happy Days
08-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Yeah now that everyone’s goals are worth 6 and not 0 points winning should actually be much easier, thats a great point Jee.

1eyedog
08-08-2021, 09:09 PM
If Martin can play. Yes.

EasternWest
08-08-2021, 09:11 PM

A combination of factors but mostly that I think we're not quite good enough.

We were really lacking leadership today.

jeemak
08-08-2021, 09:12 PM

Weren't we.....however, we do look good when they DO show up.

GVGjr
08-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Of course we can win it, we've been bouncing back all season. Our best is good enough.

comrade
08-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Of course we can win it, we've been bouncing back all season. Our best is good enough.

Our best includes Bruce.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2021, 09:17 PM
What a disaster of a day. Of course we can still win it ... but gee whiz it is now significantly more difficult. 50 goal forwards don't grow on trees.

comrade
08-08-2021, 09:21 PM
What a disaster of a day. Of course we can still win it ... but gee whiz it is now significantly more difficult. 50 goal forwards don't grow on trees.

It's not just the goals either, it's the whole structure now thrown entirely out the window. I can see Naughton dropping his bundle completely without his big bro next to him.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 09:26 PM

I’m hearing ya. Stringer has been threatening to regularly burst through the middle since forever. We let him walk out with it.

With the result & especially Bruce, I can’t think of a three hour window when I’ve thought we were minor premiers in waiting and potential premiers, to feeling like we are at risk of just making up the numbers.

I think we need to do something bold, like Bont to FF or CHF. He’s a threat in the air and a brilliant snapper, quick enough, tackles hard, to and able to bring others in. We have the inside mids to theoretically still win it. He’s the best source I can think of replacing 2.5 goals a game that Bruce was giving us, while making sure there’s no easy double team on Naughton. It’s crazy enough to work. But meddling around the fringes is certain ‘straight sets’.

I guess, we’ve got to try to get Hawthorn & Port first. I think Clarkson has ample information in which to give us hell.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2021, 09:28 PM
It's not just the goals either, it's the whole structure now thrown entirely out the window. I can see Naughton dropping his bundle completely without his big bro next to him.

Agree 100%. Bruce is a big man and hits the contest hard even when not marking it. That type of forward is even more valuable in a big final. We now are going to rely on Naughton playing out of his skin and his form has been off in the last few weeks.

comrade
08-08-2021, 09:30 PM
Agree 100%. Bruce is a big man and hits the contest hard even when not marking it. That type of forward is even more valuable in a big final. We now are going to rely on Naughton playing out of his skin and his form has been off in the last few weeks.

Unfortunately Naughton can't hit the side of a barn, we're not winning finals off his back.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 09:30 PM

I’m going to put my mind to it this week. But we need to find coverage for him next year, Schache should stay back and Marra and. Darcy bit ready to be #2. For a bloke his size, I’d sit him out and get him right. Another one is the end of his career.

That’s two late season ACLs that Rob our finals Bruce & McLean, but open up SSP or MSD thinking too.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2021, 09:32 PM
Of course we can win it. One game at a time and let Bevo do his magic. Personally when we have Gardner and Keath back I would play Schache forward. Dunks and Treloar will only get better. We missed Cody too.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately Naughton can't hit the side of a barn, we're not winning finals off his back.

Yep. Still kicks it like a full back. I’m not sure how long it will take him to regain full confidence in flying at the ball either.

comrade
08-08-2021, 09:34 PM
Yep. Still kicks it like a full back. I’m not sure how long it will take him to regain full confidence in flying at the ball either.

Yeah, he's not flying and he can't kick. It sucks.

jeemak
08-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Bruce's day and outcome reminded me of Donny in The Big Lebowski, just off a bit all day, something cosmic was in the air that suggested it was going to go bad for him.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 09:37 PM
Bruce's day and outcome reminded me of Donny in The Big Lebowski, just off a bit all day, something cosmic was in the air that suggested it was going to go bad for him.

Whose the dude then?

The bulldog tragician
Yes, we can. Has that much changed of our perception of our teams strengths and weaknesses in just one afternoon?

Even one or two different things going right instead of wrong today - better set shots, or a fit Alex Keath - could have led to us having a regulation if uninspiring win.

Our challengers have had similar underwhelming performances at different parts of the season, have also been talked up as certainties when they’ve played at their best.

Today felt like a team, who’s been up for a long time, struggling for that mongrel edge. Lack of continuity & continual shuffling of the deck chairs because of injury. Players have not returned in the same form after injury.

Today we still more or less carried Dunkley as he gets games and confidence back. If he and Treloar return to form, our midfield is still the best in the comp.

The ruck situation is our Achilles heel, I don’t know what the answer is there, particularly given Bruce was also our best second ruck. (I’m still seething that Naughton was rucking. Bevo, man, come on!).

Even with injuries, this group is more talented than 2016, whether they have the extraordinary inner fire of those men remains to be seen, but one poor game isn’t enough for me to stop believing they can do it.

Grantysghost

Have to say, 41 years a member and Naughton causes me to scare my dogs with raucous profanity more than any other player during that time.

Learn.To.F*&king. KICK!

chef
08-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Yeah we can. We have a Bont, a good group of players and Bevo.

The Pie Man
08-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Think we can, but will depend in Martin & match ups.

English can probably ruck against Geelong, but don’t see it against Gawn or Lycett (or the 5-8 teams)

Keath will need to return 100% and play well too.

Too many question marks sadly, but there’s still a chance

Bullies
08-08-2021, 09:53 PM
We said the same when Murph went down in 2016.

Schache not the answer down back but he still would have got confidence over the past couple of weeks. He can go forward and you know if he gets the ball he won't miss. It can set him for next year as well.

Maybe Young comes in until Keath and Gardner come back. Gardner is the key as well as he can nullify a forward with his close checking.

Dunks and Trealor can only improve. We are in a fortunate position we can play them in the 1's.

We missed Weightman & Hannan's forward pressure and tackling today. Don't under estimate what forward pressure does and how it goes through the team.

We will be fine. We don't sit on top because we are no good.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Yes we can still win. I recon it’s gonna force the hand of Bevo. Enclose has to play forward without Bruce.

We will need to ruck with Martin, Sweet or Young in that order. We are a Berger ride with English forward and g
He has struggled in the ruck since that Naughton head knock.

Wood, Dunks and Adan will run into form over the coming weeks.

Weightman back gives up forward craft/crumbing and blocking. Back in the F50

The F50 isn’t better with Hannan or JJ in it.

The Back line we been OK. Cordy is better with Keith in the line up. So these guys will get it done.

The issue is still the goal kicking. If we kicked straight today we would have rolled Essendon.

mjp
08-08-2021, 10:04 PM
Whose the dude then?

Liber is 'The DUDE'.

How is this even a question?

Go_Dogs
08-08-2021, 10:13 PM
We’ll still win it all… I’m back on board.

mjp
08-08-2021, 10:24 PM
We’ll still win it all… I’m back on board.

I don't know if we will win it or not. But I'm not going to lean one way or the other based on a two-goal loss in early August to a pretty dangerous team who played with a key forward who had the game of his LIFE.

I can sum up today like this: They hit. We missed. Then the siren went.

The weaknesses we had this morning are still there. The strengths (depending on your thoughts about our forward line) are still there as well. Bont, Macrae, Liber, Dunks, Treloar, Hunter, Smith and Daniel are all still running through the mids. Williams and Dale are still running from the back half. That is a LOT for any opposition team to handle. So we have a chance.

merantau
08-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Yes, of course we can win it. It is a very open year. West Coast will beat Melbourne tomorrow. It's that kind of season. How many times did we hit the post? Four wasn't it? That's 20 points that we missed out on.... by THAT much!!! And then there were the shots that went OOB! It was a nightmare.

KT31
08-08-2021, 10:27 PM

bulldogtragic
08-08-2021, 10:29 PM
I think the sentiment is more on Bruce going down and how that impacts us structurally and output of goals and impacts on others like Naughton.

comrade
08-08-2021, 10:33 PM
I think the sentiment is more on Bruce going down and how that impacts us structurally and output of goals and impacts on others like Naughton.

Yeah the loss and all the fragilities it exposed is one thing, losing our leading goal kicker and pillar of the entire forward line 3 weeks out from finals is another thing altogether.

DOG GOD
08-08-2021, 10:42 PM

This is it for mine. Our structure has been compromised since Martin went down and English had to be our #1.
Losing Bruce is really going to put pressure on Naughton. Bruce can crash packs. Schache back to the fwds isn’t an answer.

Someone’s gotta give..can’t have Cordy/Schache/Gardner all playing back when Keath returns, so does Cordy go fwd and play a role like 2016?

MrMahatma
08-08-2021, 10:42 PM
Of course we can.

I think our best line up includes Bruce, but think we can cover him as well, particularly if Martin can come in and play.

A crap day for the club but we’re still on top and we should expect to stay there.

jeemak
08-08-2021, 11:02 PM
Whose the dude then?

Liber is 'The DUDE'.

How is this even a question?

We didn't have one. We didn't even have a Walter. This is why we lost. Just a team full of Donny's.

EasternWest
08-08-2021, 11:13 PM
We didn't have one. We didn't even have a Walter. This is why we lost. Just a team full of Donny's.

You sound like a nihilist.

jeemak
08-08-2021, 11:16 PM
You sound like a nihilist.

My name is Uli.

Vred
08-08-2021, 11:58 PM
Not without Martin, no.

Go watch our games with two rucks (English/Martin) as opposed to how we've been recently, completely night and day, two different looking teams.

Dry Rot
09-08-2021, 12:56 AM
Not without Martin, no.

Agreed. And doubly so, losing our best forward until 2023.

Wouldn't surprise if we lose our next three games.

boydogs
09-08-2021, 01:31 AM
We lacked a competitive ruck and KPD today and now we're lacking a KPF. We need to fill those holes but the answers might be waiting in the wings

jeemak
09-08-2021, 01:35 AM
We lacked a competitive ruck and KPD today and now we're lacking a KPF. We need to fill those holes but the answers might be waiting in the wings

Much like we did last week, and have done previously.

Our woes were born out of an arrogant approach to our opposing midfielders and we paid a massive price.

comrade
09-08-2021, 07:00 AM
I feel even worse the morning after.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2021, 07:08 AM
Yeah the loss was bad enough, but losing Bruce in the final seconds, just makes it all worse.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2021, 08:58 AM
We can still win it.. But we need to win the last 2 games, and lock in a top 2 spot.
We weren't the only top team to crap the bed this weekend. Geelong lost, at their own garbage tip of a ground, to a GWS side that had to make 8 changes to it's team!
The Swans lost to the Saints....
It's going to be a challenge without Bruce, but I'm backing the team in.

Mofra
09-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Stef Martin coming back and absolutely yes.
Without Stef - maybe.

Geelong have just been smashed with injury as well and Melbourne are Melbourne.

Naughton's paddock is a fair chance of working, and Weightman comes straight back in to that forward line.

Mantis
09-08-2021, 09:46 AM
The result of one game doesn't change the fact we can win this... it's going to be tougher without Bruce, but with players to come back and others to find some form we are still up to our necks in this season.

Every contender has had games they want to forget through the season and yesterday's was ours, but the CD predicted result had us winning by 33 points so whilst it's disappointing to lose, it wasn't like we didn't give a yelp.

comrade
09-08-2021, 09:50 AM
Stef Martin coming back and absolutely yes.
Without Stef - maybe.

Geelong have just been smashed with injury as well and Melbourne are Melbourne.

Naughton's paddock is a fair chance of working, and Weightman comes straight back in to that forward line.

Naughton isn’t winning us a flag with his kicking, I’d rather isolate Weightman in the forward line than rely on Naughts.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 09:55 AM
Of course we can still win it.

I believe that our best is better than any other team's best. It is harder without Bruce, but of course we can still win it.

We were terrible against Essendon, did heaps wrong, missed chance after chance within 15 metres, only had 17 tackles in the first half, barely a smother for the day and had an uncharacteristic shocker at centre clearance.....and were still a chance to win late in the game. Teams have set backs, Geelong had one on Friday night - can they not win it? Melbourne have lost to Collingwood and the Giants and drew with Hawthorn - and that doesn't mean they can't either.

Rocco Jones
09-08-2021, 10:01 AM

I believe that our best is better than any other team's best. It is harder without Bruce, but of course we can still win it.

We were terrible against Essendon, did heaps wrong, missed chance after chance within 15 metres, only had 17 tackles in the first half, barely a smother for the day and had an uncharacteristic shocker at centre clearance.....and were still a chance to win late in the game. Teams have set backs, Geelong had one on Friday night - can they not win it? Melbourne have lost to Collingwood and the Giants and drew with Hawthorn - and that doesn't mean they can't either.

Exactly this for me.

comrade
09-08-2021, 10:02 AM

It’s not the loss that is the issue, a loss we can rectify. It’s replacing our best goal kicker and the retooling of our entire structure 3 weeks out from finals. Just very unlikely to happen now.

Mantis
09-08-2021, 10:20 AM
It’s not the loss that is the issue, a loss we can rectify. It’s replacing our best goal kicker and the retooling of our entire structure 3 weeks out from finals. Just very unlikely to happen now.

Have we actually had a set structure all year? If we were locked & loaded I'd be concerned, but our team has been a chess match all year and we've been able to do enough to be a top 2 team for the entirety.

It's a wild ride being a Bulldogs fan, so lets run with it and see what comes over the next couple of months.. we have enough good players to go the whole way. We didn't play well yesterday for lots of reasons, but over the course of the year we've showed up lots more times than we haven't so I'm backing us to overcome another setback and give it a real shake.

westbulldog
09-08-2021, 11:36 AM
If everyone buys in, yes. If we carry 7 or 8 passengers as happened yesterday we are no chance. That 7 or 8 need to refund yesterday's match payments.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Heaps of teams over history have won while missing key players - and when those players got injured, it was declared they couldn't win it. Absolutely acknowledge that it makes it harder - but I don't see how anyone on here can declare that we 'can't' win it.

If not us, then who wins it. I can see reasons why all of Geelong, Melbourne, Port, Lions and Swans 'won't' win it as well. We are no less chance than any, in a fairly open year.

Ozza
09-08-2021, 11:54 AM
If everyone buys in, yes. If we carry 7 or 8 passengers as happened yesterday we are no chance. That 7 or 8 need to refund yesterday's match payments.

I think the first part of that is fair. We definitely need more out of our bottom 6. They won't win it for us, but not getting a bit more from each of the bottom handful may mean losing.

Twodogs
09-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Yep. We are still the best team in the comp.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2021, 01:48 PM
A day on and I still don't see it. I really think Bruce's omission is huge because of the flow on effect - Naughton can be double teamed and against decent sides Marra was always going to struggle as the third tall.

The ruck situation almost gives me more cause for concern. English is OK around the ground but as a #1 ruck you need to actually be able to ruck. He can't. Martin's absence is really frustrating because we saw how he important he was early in the year and haven't had him since.

Has to be some question marks on Keath, not ideal coming into a finals series off a hamstring.

Looking over yesterday's team, my concerns (individually) are on;

JUH - Not ready for big finals, even moreso without Bruce. Probably plays though now.
Scott - Really trailed off, offering little for a while now.
Schache/Cordy - Both absolutely horrendous 1-v-1, at least Schache is capable of an intercept mark.
Garcia - I like him but can he deliver in a big final? He's not a threat for opposition to kick goals which we're going to need without Bruce.

Keath obviously comes back, but who else? Martin and Gardner unlikely. I'd run the risk on VDM if he gets fit enough. Hannan is going to be needed moving forward too.

So from yesterday;

IN - Keath, VDM, Hannan, Young
OUT - Schache, Bruce, Scott, Garcia

Mantis
09-08-2021, 01:52 PM
TBB,

Weightman is an important 'in' too. His ''energy'' & offensive pressure is vitally important and he hits the scoreboard too.

soupman
09-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Have to say, 41 years a member and Naughton causes me to scare my dogs with raucous profanity more than any other player during that time.

Learn.To.F*&king. KICK!

Man you were here for the Billy Gowers era yeah?

As for the overall question, yes we can.

I distinctly remember being so flat after we lost to St.Kilda in 2016 and Wallis snapped his leg in half (and Redpath did his knee). That day I was just so dissapointed because while the game meant nothing in the context of things, it was the final nail in the coffin that said we couldn't go all the way that year. That worked out alright.

Beveridge for all his pros and cons is a weird as f*** coach. If any team can get their shit together and win a flag despite all the setbacks we have been dealt this year it's us.

whythelongface
09-08-2021, 02:07 PM
Of course we can. We have had a pretty good year and the opposition are all floundering as well.

Absolutely we can. Backs against the wall will suit us. No one will give us a chance now. It will be difficult and will mean others need to step up.

Remember 2016 we lost Murphy in the last minute of round 3 but somehow we managed to win the damn thing. Let’s do it.

comrade
09-08-2021, 02:07 PM

I distinctly remember being so flat after we lost to St.Kilda in 2016 and Wallis snapped his leg in half (and Redpath did his knee). That day I was just so dissapointed because while the game meant nothing in the context of things, it was the final nail in the coffin that said we couldn't go all the way that year. That worked out alright.

Beveridge for all his pros and cons is a weird as f*** coach. If any team can get their shit together and win a flag despite all the setbacks we have been dealt this year it's us.

I don't see the same grit and mind set in this squad. We may have a bit more natural talent now but completely lack the likes of Morris, Picken, Clay etc

2016 was a once in a life time achievement.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 02:10 PM

Billy never missed did he?

https://media.giphy.com/media/X6Ihx3SQHeipt8sRuI/giphy.gif

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2021, 02:14 PM
TBB,

Weightman is an important 'in' too. His ''energy'' & offensive pressure is vitally important and he hits the scoreboard too.

Not sure how I forgot him! 100%, he's vital.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2021, 02:16 PM
I don't see the same grit and mind set in this squad. We may have a bit more natural talent now but completely lack the likes of Morris, Picken, Clay etc

2016 was a once in a life time achievement.

More than that, as great as Murph was, he wasn't structurally vital.

Losing Redpath was definitely more structural (and from memory he was in good form).

The bolded part I really agree with. I mean, the group absolutely has to reflect on 2016 and how we overcame adversity then but I doubt we EVER see those types of heroics repeated in our lifetime again.

comrade
09-08-2021, 02:33 PM
More than that, as great as Murph was, he wasn't structurally vital.

Losing Redpath was definitely more structural (and from memory he was in good form).

The bolded part I really agree with. I mean, the group absolutely has to reflect on 2016 and how we overcame adversity then but I doubt we EVER see those types of heroics repeated in our lifetime again.

Yeah, referring to 2016 and saying 'do that again' completely undersells how monumental that run was.

I look for evidence that we can generate that type of performance from this particular squad and I look at the last 2 finals series and the meek way we were bundled out, then look at how our side turned their toes up on the weekend with no one wanting to pressure or tackle, then look at how *!*!*!*!ed our structure is without Bruce and Martin (on top of Keath coming back from soft tissue) and it all leads to having absolutely no confidence in winning it all this year.

soupman
09-08-2021, 02:37 PM
In the dumbest way possible is the silver lining to maybe not being able to win the premiership the likelihood that this could be the least satisfying premiership ever?

I mean I would love to win the Premiership, and i wouldn't say no, but already a big part of me was pretty sad that should we do it this year as a resident of NSW I would be no chance of being permitted to attend. I was coming to terms with that, for as much as that would hurt me I would hope as many people I care about who are similarly invested (my family are pretty hardcore Dogs fans, and obviously everyone here, and i guess the wider Bulldogs community) would be able to be a part of it. With the current situation looking pretty bleak on all fronts, and talk of Grand Finals in WA (where I fully expect the crowd to be cancelled for at the last second), or Tassie (which is kind of cool but not for anybody who actually cares about the Bulldogs), I can't think of a less satisfying Premiership to win.

2016 was special on a number of levels, but all my favourite bits involved us supporters being along for the ride, being at the games, sharing in the moment, being a part of it. Football without fans sucks big time, and as into it as i still do get watching on TV football is is just another entertainment product once you strip away the community and energy of being a part of it. A premiership (and finals campaign leading to it which is probably the coolest bit of winning a premiership) where everyone that cares is stuck at home with whatever random assortment of people they live with who may or may not even be interested, separated from the other people they share the football journey with, and forced to view the moments through the idiotically zoomed in channel 7 lens as BT conducts his torturous commentary style is not the Premiership experience I want.

So as much as I do want to win the flag, I also don't want to win the flag if it's that. Again it makes me consider how perfect the 2016 run was, an actually perfect month of football.

DOG GOD
09-08-2021, 02:43 PM
We hit the first final with english as sole Ruck, no Bruce meaning naughton will struggle to contend with 2 defenders, cordy and possibly schache in defence, and keath playing his first game in 5? Weeks .

I can’t see it.

azabob
09-08-2021, 02:44 PM
Looking over yesterday's team, my concerns (individually) are on;

JUH - Not ready for big finals, even moreso without Bruce. Probably plays though now.
Scott - Really trailed off, offering little for a while now.
Schache/Cordy - Both absolutely horrendous 1-v-1, at least Schache is capable of an intercept mark.
Garcia - I like him but can he deliver in a big final? He's not a threat for opposition to kick goals which we're going to need without Bruce.

So from yesterday;

IN - Keath, VDM, Hannan, Young
OUT - Schache, Bruce, Scott, Garcia

I agree with the players you have listed as a concern, I think we also need to add JJ to the list and hope Dunkley and Treolar obtain match fitness and start contributing the way we know they can.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 02:56 PM
We hit the first final with english as sole Ruck, no Bruce meaning naughton will struggle to contend with 2 defenders, cordy and possibly schache in defence, and keath playing his first game in 5? Weeks .

I can’t see it.

Keath will be back this week or next.

Mofra
09-08-2021, 02:58 PM
VDM & Garcia have it.
Duryea as a small backman has it.
I'd prefer one more but we've got what we've got.

We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If we get it right on our day we win.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 02:58 PM
In the dumbest way possible is the silver lining to maybe not being able to win the premiership the likelihood that this could be the least satisfying premiership ever?

I mean I would love to win the Premiership, and i wouldn't say no, but already a big part of me was pretty sad that should we do it this year as a resident of NSW I would be no chance of being permitted to attend. I was coming to terms with that, for as much as that would hurt me I would hope as many people I care about who are similarly invested (my family are pretty hardcore Dogs fans, and obviously everyone here, and i guess the wider Bulldogs community) would be able to be a part of it. With the current situation looking pretty bleak on all fronts, and talk of Grand Finals in WA (where I fully expect the crowd to be cancelled for at the last second), or Tassie (which is kind of cool but not for anybody who actually cares about the Bulldogs), I can't think of a less satisfying Premiership to win.

2016 was special on a number of levels, but all my favourite bits involved us supporters being along for the ride, being at the games, sharing in the moment, being a part of it. Football without fans sucks big time, and as into it as i still do get watching on TV football is is just another entertainment product once you strip away the community and energy of being a part of it. A premiership (and finals campaign leading to it which is probably the coolest bit of winning a premiership) where everyone that cares is stuck at home with whatever random assortment of people they live with who may or may not even be interested, separated from the other people they share the football journey with, and forced to view the moments through the idiotically zoomed in channel 7 lens as BT conducts his torturous commentary style is not the Premiership experience I want.

So as much as I do want to win the flag, I also don't want to win the flag if it's that. Again it makes me consider how perfect the 2016 run was, an actually perfect month of football.

I tend to agree. That road trip up to Sydney for the prelim was something I'll never forget.

Best football moment of my dogs supporting life.

These last two flags just are really a distraction away for the unbelievable events post late 2019.

Amazing we are still going through this so long after.

Hope all dogs fans are coping OK.

Murphy'sLore
09-08-2021, 02:59 PM
I think it will be very, very hard from here. Not impossible, but very hard. Bruce has been huge for us this year and his absence pulls the whole side out of shape.

On a side note, my disgusted OH turned off the TV with ten seconds to go because he didn't want to hear the Bombers song. The mood was pretty bad then, but it got worse a couple of hours later when we found out about Bruce.

comrade
09-08-2021, 03:03 PM
VDM & Garcia have it.
Duryea as a small backman has it.
I'd prefer one more but we've got what we've got.

We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If we get it right on our day we win.

Not throwing the baby out, just trying to be realistic.

Topdog
09-08-2021, 03:15 PM
I haven't been worried about Martin but with the loss of Bruce he does become important.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 03:51 PM

Wow, a flag anytime for me, considering I have only seen one and followed the team for such a long time.

Happy Days
09-08-2021, 03:55 PM

You're sort of right but I also suspect that I won't really care if we actually make it far enough to win. It definitely beats not winning.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 03:57 PM
* JUH - Not ready for big finals, even moreso without Bruce. Probably plays though now.
* Scott - Really trailed off, offering little for a while now.
* Schache/Cordy - Both absolutely horrendous 1-v-1, at least Schache is capable of an intercept mark.
* Garcia - I like him but can he deliver in a big final? He's not a threat for opposition to kick goals which we're going to need without Bruce.

I think JUH stays in and he and Naughton have to be the two key forwards, with English slipping down there to cause havoc. We can also go a bit smaller and VDM can slip in there.

Agree on your others as well, although Scott has played his best footy down back, but they can't all play down there.

I thought Ed looked completely lost yesterday and he needs to go back, otherwise he shouldn't play Perhaps we use Caleb like we have been in recent times, ie filling in around the ground.

So for me, Ed is also a 50/50.

FrediKanoute
09-08-2021, 05:03 PM
I think JUH stays in and he and Naughton have to be the two key forwards, with English slipping down there to cause havoc. We can also go a bit smaller and VDM can slip in there.

Agree on your others as well, although Scott has played his best footy down back, but they can't all play down there.

I thought Ed looked completely lost yesterday and he needs to go back, otherwise he shouldn't play Perhaps we use Caleb like we have been in recent times, ie filling in around the ground.

So for me, Ed is also a 50/50.

JUH is not ready. He physicallly can;t compete and struggles to stay in the game. What he does he generally does it really well, but I suspect up until Bruce's injury he was probably going to be dropped next week.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 05:31 PM
JUH is not ready. He physicallly can;t compete and struggles to stay in the game. What he does he generally does it really well, but I suspect up until Bruce's injury he was probably going to be dropped next week.

I really prefer him to Schache or Young up forward. I know he is not ready, but was Cordy ready? Cordy played his 9th game in the GF. JUH will still attract a good backman, and he does some great chasing, and has that ex factor.

Naughton will be the focus of course.

jazzadogs
09-08-2021, 05:48 PM
I keep coming back to the expected scores yesterday - predicting us to win by over 5 goals based on the location and quality of shots vs theirs. If we had simply kicked our goals, even allowing for Peter Wright to still have the one good game of his career, we would have won comfortably and we would all be feeling a lot better.

I am feeling pretty down on our chances today, with the Bruce injury really impacting our structure. I don't have any faith in Young/Schache/Cordy moving to the forward line, nor do I have confidence that we could adjust our forward entries to lower our eyes if we go small. Tom Stewart will be licking his lips even more than usual if we face them without Bruce.

hujsh
09-08-2021, 05:57 PM
I suppose Young is a better second ruck than Bruce? Do we look to go Keath, Schache (or Cordy because he seems to play regardless of everyone here thinks) and Young as defenders with Young following the second ruck kind of like Schache in the Melbourne game initally? That means our forward line structure can maintain 2 tall forwards more consistently (potentially 3 depending on rotations and if English spends time down there)

Edit: and of course Gardiner to replace anyone not named Keath if he's good to go.

hujsh
09-08-2021, 06:17 PM

Just seeing those numbers.jpg in huge blue font is very powerful. I don't even need to the see the image underneath

bulldogtragic
09-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Bruce is still the big issue.

In form, hot favourites for the flags:

2012 - Sydney dropped their last two
2014 - Hawks dropped one in R.21
2015 - Hawks dropped one in R.21

Maybe it focuses the mind about the effort required.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Course we can still win it. Lose this week and we can still win it.
This year there will be supporters of all the top 8 teams who would like to tell you why they won't win it. It's like saying to someone that Bont is a champion and then they say 'a champion would have kicked that goal'.

The 41 players have got us to a position that i couldn't have imagined pre season. If any coach can lift their confidence I'm backing Bevo.

dog town
09-08-2021, 08:24 PM
Worth considering that we have been less efficient than the oppo with our inside 50s every game since we played North. The Bruce situation hurts but we haven’t been shooting the lights out recently with our current structure.

bornadog
09-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Worth considering that we have been less efficient than the oppo with our inside 50s every game since we played North. The Bruce situation hurts but we haven’t been shooting the lights out recently with our current structure.

Maybe one less big guy will make the difference. Naughton can outmark anyone in the AFL, so maybe with no Bruce he becomes even more of a focus, and if he doesn't mark it, the little blokes can mop up

WBFC4FFC
09-08-2021, 09:21 PM
If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.

Get the sense we would not be playing both Dunkley and Treloar in the middle if Footscray were able to be playing at present, given both need match practice.

What stood-out out yesterday (if Bevo made an error) was why Daniel was not in the middle or even up forward given the depth of smalls down back and missing Weightman up front? Daniel has been great up the ground in recent weeks (Richards would have been better down back).

Anyway, in dealing with a side with no Bruce, Bevo has a few options at his disposal come Finals in particular, when at least Keith is back:
- Move Schache up froward;
- Bring back Mitch Wallis; or
- If Martin is not fit enough yet, play Sweet in the Middle and move English forward.

Personally, I think we go with the third option now, given Keith is not back yet. Sweet can hold his own and the Opposition Defenders are going to have to respect English. Also, Dunkley and Bont to play more up forward.

Grantysghost
09-08-2021, 09:35 PM
If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.

Get the sense we would not be playing both Dunkley and Treloar in the middle if Footscray were able to be playing at present, given both need match practice.

What stood-out out yesterday (if Bevo made an error) was why Daniel was not in the middle or even up forward given the depth of smalls down back and missing Weightman up front? Daniel has been great up the ground in recent weeks (Richards would have been better down back).

Anyway, in dealing with a side with no Bruce, Bevo has a few options at his disposal come Finals in particular, when at least Keith is back:
- If Martin is not fit enough yet, play Sweet in the Middle and move English forward.

Personally, I think we go with the third option now, given Keith is not back yet. Sweet can hold his own and the Opposition Defenders are going to have to respect English. Also, Dunkley and Bont to play more up forward.

Not sure why we didn't drop English back in front of Wright. It was clear how they were going to win from early and we did nothing to stem the tide.

Stefcep
09-08-2021, 10:19 PM
If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.[/B]

The implication being if we kicked straight, we win. Simple.

Except its not. We didn't kick straight yesterday. We haven't kicked straight all season. Or the one before. Or the one before that. This has not been a simple problem to fix virtually all of Beveridge's reign.

Quite frankly, the misses by Bruce and Naughton are just plain unprofessional.

Stefcep
09-08-2021, 10:23 PM

Why is it worth considering.? Its been like that for years. Why would we think we can just flick the switch and suddenly it gets better?

boydogs
10-08-2021, 02:14 AM
Now that Dunkley and Treloar are back, the midfield is stacked. We might get more out of Dunkley, Treloar and Smith if Bont plays forward. They won't be double-teaming Naughton if they have Bont to worry about

jeemak
10-08-2021, 02:27 AM
Now that Dunkley and Treloar are back, the midfield is stacked. We might get more out of Dunkley, Treloar and Smith if Bont plays forward. They won't be double-teaming Naughton if they have Bont to worry about

I think we're at a stage where we just tell Bont to go wherever he needs to be and the midfield adjusts around him.

Roll a player up at the stoppage, Bont either stays at the stoppage or goes back or forward - whichever he chooses. He's needed at the centre bounce because he's the only one who can hit a target on a long kick breaking away.

dog town
10-08-2021, 06:36 AM
Why is it worth considering.? Its been like that for years. Why would we think we can just flick the switch and suddenly it gets better? Worth considering that it isn’t the end of our season and as well as Bruce was playing he wasn’t contributing to an area of strength for us. We beat the opposition efficiency rounds 1-5 but that has dropped away so maybe a change up might help in some ways.

Also inside 50 efficiency I believe is measured by shots per inside 50 not goals.

DOG GOD
10-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Keath will be back this week or next.
Good. We need him for the port game.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Bruce is still the big issue.

In form, hot favourites for the flags:

2012 - Sydney dropped their last two
2014 - Hawks dropped one in R.21
2015 - Hawks dropped one in R.21

Maybe it focuses the mind about the effort required.

Just an aside as quoted by Leigh Montagna on Fox Footy. Only one minor premier has won the GF in the last 10 years.

Eastdog
10-08-2021, 06:14 PM
I believe we can still do it. Anything is possible. Very open season.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 07:22 PM
Just an aside as quoted by Leigh Montagna on Fox Footy. Only one minor premier has won the GF in the last 10 years.

So lose the next two? :D

The bulldog tragician
10-08-2021, 07:39 PM

The loss on Sunday all part of the master plan from Bevo Our Saviour

boydogs
12-08-2021, 01:10 AM
I think we're at a stage where we just tell Bont to go wherever he needs to be and the midfield adjusts around him.

Roll a player up at the stoppage, Bont either stays at the stoppage or goes back or forward - whichever he chooses. He's needed at the centre bounce because he's the only one who can hit a target on a long kick breaking away.

He needs a target to kick to though. It could be a choice between Bont kicking it to Naughton 1v2, or Smith kicking it to Bont

Jam Donuts
12-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Hello, did someone call?

Mofra
12-08-2021, 09:42 AM
In 2016 we dropped the last round game against Freo

bulldogsthru&thru
12-08-2021, 11:59 AM
We really need to win the next 2. Not so much because of the minor premiership, but because if we lose 1, we’re going to face either Geelong (probably in Geelong with covid) or Port in Adelaide. Win both an we get either Port in Melbourne or a home game against Geelong. Looks like we’re not playing the Dees in the first week. Unless of course we lose both.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Of course we can win it. One game at a time and let Bevo do his magic. Personally when we have Gardner and Keath back I would play Schache forward. Dunks and Treloar will only get better. We missed Cody too.

We can win it.
The injuries are horrific. But as B4L suggests, we have quite a few alternatives and I back the club to do its best with prep.

SonofScray
13-08-2021, 10:18 AM
Feeling less optimistic with each day, until a win sparks a bit of belief again.

I think we’re on track for a classic Eade era finals campaign. Lose, win, lose.

comrade
13-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Feeling less optimistic with each day, until a win sparks a bit of belief again.

I think we’re on track for a classic Eade era finals campaign. Lose, win, lose.

Feeling a bit the same.

If someone can make a reasonable argument on how we can overcome our clear weaknesses in the 2nd key defender role, the ruck and now our forward line structure, I'm all ears and ready to jump back on.

Any comparisons to 2016 need not apply.

Grantysghost
13-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Feeling a bit the same.

If someone can make a reasonable argument on how we can overcome our clear weaknesses in the 2nd key defender role, the ruck and now our forward line structure, I'm all ears and ready to jump back on.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/lewis-young-of-the-bulldogs-and-paddy-ryder-of-the-saints-compete-in-picture-id1233038890?s=2048x2048

Happy Days
13-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Feeling a bit the same.

Well we haven't seen our forward line structure yet so lets maybe hold fire there, but the update (?) on Martin has to go some way to assuaging fears about the ruck weakness. What premiership winning side has ever had a decent ruckman anyway?

If he comes back in and English plays more forward then I have a ton of confidence in a Naughton/English pairing to cause havoc, especially with a more potent small forward mix than we saw with that combination earlier this year.

Keath is a full on gun KPD but yes, the second defender role is a headache. Maybe Gardner gets back but he's been a classic case of getting better with every game he doesnt play, and I don't think it really matters what Lewy Young does because we all know he's not playing when it counts. Schache looks the best but he's also probably the worst defender of the lot.

So that leaves Cordy. I'm not really sure how you feel about him but he's the best option, and to be honest against a lot of the second key forwards we're likely to see then that's enough. Bevo has got to be realistic and play him on thev tallest person closest to his athletic profile rather than his physical one. Play him on Brown when we play Melbourne, on Marshall against Port, against players where he can use his strengths (he does have a couple - he's a fantastic spoiler and doesn't often get done in the air if he hasn't been done for pace). Wood has to take the second most dangerous forward, which is again not ideal but I've got a lot more confidence in him than I do Cordy

It's not a great answer but good teams have made due with far less. But these are our weaknesses, and maybe you don't have to overcome them and win because of your strengths? West Coast had Nathan Vardy in the ruck in 2018 and 5 midfielders worse than our worst guy now, but an incredible back 6 and won pretty much entirely because of it. And then there's Richmond, who made Kamdyn McIntosh and Jason Castagna 3 time premiership players (I'm not fact checking this).

Adequacy is enough in some spots when you're incredible elsewhere, and we are.

comrade
13-08-2021, 11:29 AM
Well we haven't seen our forward line structure yet so lets maybe hold fire there, but the update (?) on Martin has to go some way to assuaging fears about the ruck weakness. What premiership winning side has ever had a decent ruckman anyway?

If he comes back in and English plays more forward then I have a ton of confidence in a Naughton/English pairing to cause havoc, especially with a more potent small forward mix than we saw with that combination earlier this year.

Keath is a full on gun KPD but yes, the second defender role is a headache. Maybe Gardner gets back but he's been a classic case of getting better with every game he doesnt play, and I don't think it really matters what Lewy Young does because we all know he's not playing when it counts. Schache looks the best but he's also probably the worst defender of the lot.

So that leaves Cordy. I'm not really sure how you feel about him but he's the best option, and to be honest against a lot of the second key forwards we're likely to see then that's enough. Bevo has got to be realistic and play him on thev tallest person closest to his athletic profile rather than his physical one. Play him on Brown when we play Melbourne, on Marshall against Port, against players where he can use his strengths (he does have a couple - he's a fantastic spoiler and doesn't often get done in the air if he hasn't been done for pace). Wood has to take the second most dangerous forward, which is again not ideal but I've got a lot more confidence in him than I do Cordy

It's not a great answer but good teams have made due with far less. But these are our weaknesses, and maybe you don't have to overcome them and win because of your strengths? West Coast had Nathan Vardy in the ruck in 2018 and 5 midfielders worse than our worst guy now, but an incredible back 6 and won pretty much entirely because of it. And then there's Richmond, who made Kamdyn McIntosh and Jason Castagna 3 time premiership players (I'm not fact checking this).

Adequacy is enough in some spots when you're incredible elsewhere, and we are.

WC had an elite defence and forward group, let's not undersell them. Peak McGovern, Barrass, Hurn etc and peak Kennedy, Darling, Liam Ryan. Vardy is about on par with English as a ruck, and yeah our mids are probably superior on paper but they're not real keen on the defensive stuff and have gone to water the past 2 elim finals.

bornadog
13-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Our mids are probably superior on paper but they're not real keen on the defensive stuff and have gone to water the past 2 elim finals.

They are more mature now and no longer babies, so I am confident they are our real strength.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2021, 01:14 PM
Feeling a bit the same.

Reality is we need our midfield to absolutely takeover.

Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunks, Treloar and Smith - they need to dominate the finals if we're going to win it.

It'd be handy if Keath/Gardiner/Cordy hold up, or if Lew Young can be a bit like Hamling in '16 where he came in late and filled an important role, but those stories only materialise if our mid group really apply the pressure to the opposition.

comrade
13-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Reality is we need our midfield to absolutely takeover.

Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunks, Treloar and Smith - they need to dominate the finals if we're going to win it.

It'd be handy if Keath/Gardiner/Cordy hold up, or if Lew Young can be a bit like Hamling in '16 where he came in late and filled an important role, but those stories only materialise if our mid group really apply the pressure to the opposition.

Fingers crossed, but all the other top 4 sides have strong midfields too so I just can’t see us having it our own way.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Fingers crossed, but all the other top 4 sides have strong midfields too so I just can’t see us having it our own way.

Agreed - it'd have to be a special performance to really dominate the likes of Geelong and Melbourne in the one finals series. Possible? It is, but it's on the lower end of probability.

I'm really concerned about our forward set-up against Melbourne and Geelong - the likes of May/Lever/Stewart can potentially dine out more than they already have without Bruce whilst also being able to double team or shut out Naughton.

If Martin gets up, English forward more would be big.

comrade
13-08-2021, 02:40 PM
Agreed - it'd have to be a special performance to really dominate the likes of Geelong and Melbourne in the one finals series. Possible? It is, but it's on the lower end of probability.

I'm really concerned about our forward set-up against Melbourne and Geelong - the likes of May/Lever/Stewart can potentially dine out more than they already have without Bruce whilst also being able to double team or shut out Naughton.

If Martin gets up, English forward more would be big.

Yeah, Bruce going down has really dented our chances. I had us around 30% chance of winning the flag prior to last weekend, I think we’re half that now.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-08-2021, 02:42 PM
It’s a bit of a Hail Mary from here for mine. Melbourne and geelong are going in full strength while we continually lose major pieces. Certainly not impossible but i feel we’re fighting with an arm behind our back. If our midfield suddenly becomes hard to play against, we could pull it off. But I haven’t seen evidence that suggests that’ll happen under finals pressure.

Mofra
13-08-2021, 02:51 PM
We still have a trump card - a fit Treloar. After a couple of weeks of playing he's going to be huge for us. Who do Melbourne have that can go with him? The Cats?

The one thing they both lack is a genuine burst mid. It might be our only shot but it's not all doom and gloom. Would anyone give us a chance when Murphy went down, our captain and key play maker out of the back half?

comrade
13-08-2021, 03:09 PM
We still have a trump card - a fit Treloar. After a couple of weeks of playing he's going to be huge for us. Who do Melbourne have that can go with him? The Cats?

The one thing they both lack is a genuine burst mid. It might be our only shot but it's not all doom and gloom. Would anyone give us a chance when Murphy went down, our captain and key play maker out of the back half?

We had 20 weeks to overcome that and we don’t have the likes of Morris, Picko, Clay and Matty Boyd to brute force us over the line this time.

bornadog
13-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Lots of doom and gloom just because we lost one player.

If you take the 10 goals out of Bruce's total and average out the rest of his 38 goals over 20 games, he has been kicking just under 2 goals a game. We are the highest scoring team, so plenty of fire power left in our forward line.

We have had an incredible season winning in all our interstate matches and have hardly had our best team on the park.

Dunkley, Treloar will soon be contributing, Keath is back, Dale an AA backman, Bont in Brownlow form, Naughton one of the best contested marks in the AFL, Libba a clearance King, Macrae racking up disposals. No doubt we have a star studded team.

Bring on the finals.

Grantysghost
13-08-2021, 03:40 PM

If you take the 10 goals out of Bruce's total and average out the rest of his 38 goals over 20 games, he has been kicking just under 2 goals a game. We are the highest scoring team, so plenty of fire power left in our forward line.

We have had an incredible season winning in all our interstate matches and have hardly had our best team on the park.

Dunkley, Treloar will soon be contributing, Keath is back, Dale an AA backman, Bont in Brownlow form, Naughton one of the best contested marks in the AFL, Libba a clearance King, Macrae racking up disposals. No doubt we have a star studded team.

Bring on the finals.

Agree it's there to be won. There's no standout team and we've beaten Melbourne and pushed the Cats to the brink on their home turf.
Get excited dogs fans!

Murphy'sLore
13-08-2021, 03:41 PM

Bring on the finals.

I love you, Bornadog.

josie
13-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Dunks & Treloar are the keys, oh and acceptable goal kicking accuracy. We know our other midfielders will get their fair share of it. Two way running like we saw vs Dees a few weeks ago and hell yeah we can win a string of games & hold up the cup.

Really hoping Bevo can use last Sunday’s poor showing to instigate a positive turn around.

The bulldog tragician
13-08-2021, 06:26 PM
It’s a bit of a Hail Mary from here for mine. Melbourne and geelong are going in full strength while we continually lose major pieces. Certainly not impossible but i feel we’re fighting with an arm behind our back. If our midfield suddenly becomes hard to play against, we could pull it off. But I haven’t seen evidence that suggests that’ll happen under finals pressure.

Our 3 best midfielders Bont Macrae and Libba were also the core of 2016 so I don’t understand why it’s a given that our mids are susceptible to finals pressure. They are now complemented by Dunkley and Treloar who are upgrades on Dahlhaus and Clay Smith for talent if not intensity. We have Caleb Daniel and Bailey Smith to also rotate through. In ‘19 we were (unforgivably) startled and unprepared for GWS finals pressure and I’m still scratching our head about where our minds were at in ‘20, but in reality we were still a side in transition.

I’m not as worried about our mids this finals series as about virtually every other spot!! - we still haven’t got the ruck right, heaven help us if Keath goes down, and of course the loss of Bruce is significant. One of the most painful things about our loss to the Don The Sash mob is that we don’t have any margin for error - waiting another week for Keath and VDM to return for example or tinkering with our structure. Damn you Bombres and the fickle injury gods.

DOG GOD
13-08-2021, 07:37 PM
To be a chance in the first final, dunks and Treloar will have to be back to pre-injury form, Keath will have to play a blinder and Naughton will have to kick straight.

I still think our deep defence looks vulnerable..
I think our ruck situation without Martin will be key..
Bruce WILL be a loss, as it puts more pressure on Naughts.

And if our mids don’t come out in front, then forget it.

hujsh
13-08-2021, 09:56 PM
To be a chance in the first final, dunks and Treloar will have to be back to pre-injury form, Keath will have to play a blinder and Naughton will have to kick straight.

I still think our deep defence looks vulnerable..
I think our ruck situation without Martin will be key..
Bruce WILL be a loss, as it puts more pressure on Naughts.

And if our mids don’t come out in front, then forget it.

You say all this yet we nearly beat Geelong without Treloar, Dunlkley, Martin and with Naughton off partway through the match.

I'm not quite convinced we're so delicate that we need all these things to go our way in order to even 'be a chance'.

DOG GOD
13-08-2021, 10:16 PM
You say all this yet we nearly beat Geelong without Treloar, Dunlkley, Martin and with Naughton off partway through the match.

I'm not quite convinced we're so delicate that we need all these things to go our way in order to even 'be a chance'.

So you’re pretty confident we’d beat Geelong in a final ?

bornadog
13-08-2021, 10:18 PM

I am

DOG GOD
13-08-2021, 10:22 PM
I am
Even at Geel ?

hujsh
13-08-2021, 11:26 PM

I think we're at least a chance. Especially at the MCG

jeemak
13-08-2021, 11:28 PM
So have we reached consensus as to whether we can still win it?

If not I'm surprised, really thought we'd have all agreed a position by now.

DOG GOD
13-08-2021, 11:30 PM

I think where these finals get played will have a big say Jeemak.

MrMahatma
14-08-2021, 12:07 AM

It’s a silly question. We lost a match, which in effect matters 0 to if we can win it. We lost a key player, which does matter.

But Bruce wasn’t gonna win our B&F. And we have loads of talent in our team. And there is no other dominant team.
we win it! Hell yes.

Will we!? I hope so!

bornadog
14-08-2021, 12:32 AM

We have won games all over the place this year, and yes we can at Geelong. We lost by the last kick of the day, and a little bit of composure by some of the young guys we would have won that one too.

Ghost Dog
14-08-2021, 01:16 AM
I can't believe this thread.
Nobody should rule us out from here.
Of course we can. Faith in this group.

boydogs
14-08-2021, 02:07 AM
If someone can make a reasonable argument on how we can overcome our clear weaknesses in the 2nd key defender role, the ruck and now our forward line structure, I'm all ears and ready to jump back on

Who is going to win it if not us, Melbourne or Geelong right? We beat Melbourne and lost to Geelong by a kick with those 2 of those weaknesses. 1 injury to those sides and we're square

boydogs
14-08-2021, 02:23 AM
Who is going to win it if not us, Melbourne or Geelong right? We beat Melbourne and lost to Geelong by a kick with those 2 of those weaknesses. 1 injury to those sides and we're square

Tom Stewart right on cue

jeemak
14-08-2021, 02:47 AM

It’s a silly question. We lost a match, which in effect matters 0 to if we can win it. We lost a key player, which does matter.

But Bruce wasn’t gonna win our B&F. And we have loads of talent in our team. And there is no other dominant team.
we win it! Hell yes.

Will we!? I hope so!

Yeah I was just kind of poking fun at the thread because it's a tough and unanswerable question, especially without a poll!

Good contributions each way, all reasoned and valid. It's hard to rationalise an answer thoroughly because there's so many moving parts and with our instability and injury history you can argue things falling apart are more likely than them not. But at the same time they've been falling apart all year and we're second with the best percentage in the league.

If we can manage to do the right thing the next couple of weeks we'll have a balance of games we should have won on our side of the ledger, some not and a whole bunch in the middle that have gone either way.

To me it comes down to the hunger and willingness to sacrifice and play a team game at a level this team hasn't done in the heat of finals. I think we are mature enough to do that now.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2021, 06:55 AM
Reading this thread has just convinced me we are a lock to win the flag.

I love it when the odds are stacked against a Bevo side.

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 09:49 AM
So it looks like the AFL are scrapping the bye and going straight into finals. (Apologies if it’s been mentioned before somewhere). Happy or a hinder ?

1eyedog
14-08-2021, 09:51 AM
So it looks like the AFL are scrapping the bye and going straight into finals. (Apologies if it’s been mentioned before somewhere). Happy or a hinder ?

Happy if we stay injury free. We've managed our older and youngest players effectively over the past month.

comrade
14-08-2021, 09:51 AM

Not sure it really makes a big difference for us now. We don’t have any critical players on the sidelines that would be available with an extra week. Personally, I just want to get into it and over with.

1eyedog
14-08-2021, 09:55 AM
I guess the only issue is we lose a week to get over this damn lockdown so can't see us having crowds (or finals) in Melboure now. Maybe we never had a chance anyway.

jeemak
14-08-2021, 09:55 AM
I'll welcome a fresh set of excuses as to why we win the flag unfairly this time around. Got to keep everyone on their toes.

Grantysghost
14-08-2021, 09:59 AM
I'll welcome a fresh set of excuses as to why we win the flag unfairly this time around. Got to keep everyone on their toes.
I’ll start.

Stef Martin is definitely tanking that hair colour. It’s duplicity of the highest order : look at this old bloke, shouldn’t he be reclined watching Geraldo?

soupman
14-08-2021, 10:38 AM
I guess the only issue is we lose a week to get over this damn lockdown so can't see us having crowds (or finals) in Melboure now. Maybe we never had a chance anyway.

Yeah this is disappointing. I know realistically we are a low chance of getting crowds anyway but would prefer we delay finals by a week than bring them forward to give it a better chance.

Happy Days
14-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Geelong lost to GWS's twos why are they so awesome and we suck again?

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 10:48 AM

I think the bye would have assisted us but looking at it from the bigger picture perspective it makes sense.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2021, 10:55 AM
From another perspective, no bye could give us an advantage as we’ve had so many players rested due to injuries! Dunks, Treloar, VDM, Richards, Gardner, Keath. We’ve managed Cody, Libba, Duryea. Melbourne in the other hand have had no rest due to their pristine injury luck. Is this the glass half full approach? :D

comrade
14-08-2021, 11:00 AM
From another perspective, no bye could give us an advantage as we’ve had so many players rested due to injuries! Dunks, Treloar, VDM, Richards, Gardner, Keath. We’ve managed Cody, Libba, Duryea. Melbourne in the other hand have had no rest due to their pristine injury luck. Is this the glass half full approach? :D

That’s a good point and I’d expect Melbourne to rest a few next week given that.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 03:32 PM
No..

“Straight Set Bulldogs”

ReLoad
14-08-2021, 04:43 PM
No. Lock and close this thread please.

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 06:06 PM
no. And extra letters because woof doesn't let me just say no.

qft.

The bulldog tragician
14-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Ummmmm…..

DOG GOD
14-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Not a chance in hell.

GVGjr
14-08-2021, 06:29 PM
I'm still in the yes we can camp but we need to find that spark next week.

SonofScray
14-08-2021, 06:51 PM
It’s gone. Massive Eade era vibes now. The coach and the playing group as a whole don’t have enough good days in them to win the flag. Tactical and personnel issues will keep us a few kicks away from the teams that take us on in finals.

Happy Days
14-08-2021, 06:55 PM
No we can’t win it. The loss in Round 22 means that once we get to that checkpoint where they look to see if you won in Round 22 we’ll be deemed ineligible and turned away.

Of course we still can. This thread is fundamentally flawed and dumb.

comrade
14-08-2021, 06:57 PM
No we can’t win it. The loss in Round 22 means that once we get to that checkpoint where they look to see if you won in Round 22 we’ll be deemed ineligible and turned away.

Of course we still can. This thread is fundamentally flawed and dumb.

Lol I mean, Essendon can also still win it if you want to play that game.

The question is more will we win it? And that is a resounding *!*!*!*! no.

KT31
14-08-2021, 07:06 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5xMZITFs9LZYnnN_gYysyhbF0inu0SDqNtQ&usqp=CAU

chef
14-08-2021, 07:33 PM
I guess the answer is still yes as theres no real standout gun team. We all are having our issues.

boydogs
16-08-2021, 12:49 AM
Yeah we can. We've lost our intensity, maybe with training loads, maybe getting ahead of ourselves, but that can return

The Adelaide Connection
16-08-2021, 11:33 PM
This:

Injury list

Louis Butler (calf) – available
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) – available
Stefan Martin (groin/hip) – test
Josh Schache (knee) – test
Josh Bruce (knee) – season
Toby McLean (knee) – season

So, essentially we are a bloke we didn't have last year and a bloke nobody wanted last year away from a full compliment.

Sure Bruce has been a different player, but the early season Dogs can get it done. Hit the reset and lets do it.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2021, 11:33 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-news-2021-western-bulldogs-flag-odds-premiership-contenders-greatest-strength-becomes-flaw-on-the-couch/news-story/b8b8dad91eebb080908058c4d228e4e8?fbclid=IwAR2U89Ab_BI7McGWrL 4RcalvcpSUbiDXPKm1RCvG6YV8MWOm0juQwwITBmw

Anyone want a gig as a footy analyst?

A lot of us on here called this out. We called it out last year too. But why the sudden drop this year? Players fatigued and it’s now more of an effort than earlier this season?

LostDog
17-08-2021, 01:54 PM
Nope

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 01:59 PM
I think we are still a red hot chance to win this. Our best is damn impressive.
We need to kick start this on Friday night as momentum is a great thing to have.

Get behind us, it's going to be an exciting ride.

Mantis
17-08-2021, 02:21 PM
We need to kick start this on Friday night as momentum is a great thing to have.

I'm hoping the last 2 weeks is the kick up the ass the team needs to start playing a more disciplined & team orientated style we showed earlier in the season.

Huge test for our leaders and experienced players to set the tone for the weeks ahead starting with a good display on Friday night

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping the last 2 weeks is the kick up the ass the team needs to start playing a more disciplined & team orientated style we showed earlier in the season.

Huge test for our leaders and experienced players to set the tone for the weeks ahead starting with a good display on Friday night

Everyone just needs to stand up and be counted and have faith that our best is as good as anyone's.
It's starts with our leaders and hopefully the rest respond.

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 12:36 AM

I love the passion of this.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 12:52 AM
I like to think that WOOF is a version of the TV Show Herman's Head and all of the thoughts displayed here are a macrocosm of all the thoughts displayed by our football team on the weekend.

This is the synopsis and upon reading I think you will all agree with me.

Synopsis
Research assistant Herman Brooks (William Ragsdale) works in the fact-checking department of a major magazine publisher, Waterton Publishing, in Manhattan. Herman, from all outward appearances, embodies the young man on the fast track—ambitious, clever and sensible—but viewers are shown that a struggle of contrasting personality traits are constantly working, and most often arguing, inside his head. His decisions and actions are dramatized with a "Greek chorus"–style interpretation of his thought processes.

The series begins with Herman as mild-mannered, giving in to every passing sexual desire, bedding a lot of women and not being above bending the truth about his life or career status in order to impress women. He makes attempts to settle down every once in a while, which he does not find hard due to his overall willingness to turn a strictly physical connection into love. However, despite his romantic repertoire with women, he sometimes loses them over comical misunderstandings that are often never resolved. These usually occur as a result of Herman's boyish innocence getting him into trouble. During the next couple of seasons, Herman evolves into a more edgy character, more apt to developing outlandish schemes in an attempt to further his career as well as with women, and he becomes more opinionated in situations where previously, he would have conformed to rules, or have been a sycophant.

SonofScray
18-08-2021, 04:32 PM
I think we’ll snap out of it. As I have I. Go dogs.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-08-2021, 04:48 PM
To be honest covid has destroyed this season so much now that I don’t really care anymore. Finals in front of empty stadiums or playing interstate just isn’t going to be the same. I mean, I’d still love to win it, but if we don’t, we don’t.

I’ll feel bad for demons fans if this is their drought breaking year. Who am I kidding no I won’t.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2021, 08:37 PM
To be honest covid has destroyed this season so much now that I don’t really care anymore. Finals in front of empty stadiums or playing interstate just isn’t going to be the same. I mean, I’d still love to win it, but if we don’t, we don’t.

I’ll feel bad for demons fans if this is their drought breaking year. Who am I kidding no I won’t.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Especially on Melbourne.

Happy Days
12-09-2021, 02:03 AM
So guys, I’ve got some bad news, apparently the AFL have checked our win loss record and have seen that we lost in round 22. So unfortunately we’ve been replaced in the grand final by Port.

Stupid thread! Never again!

jeemak
12-09-2021, 02:06 AM
So guys, I’ve got some bad news, apparently the AFL have checked our win loss record and have seen that we lost in round 22. So unfortunately we’ve been replaced in the grand final by Port.

Stupid thread! Never again!

I would say the letter is probably on the back burner as well.

Happy Days
12-09-2021, 02:08 AM
I would say the letter is probably on the back burner as well.

Its really unfortunate given our impressive finals effort, but that loss in round 22 simply cannot be undone.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 03:24 AM
Its really unfortunate given our impressive finals effort, but that loss in round 22 simply cannot be undone.

But it always could with corporal mortification.

hujsh
12-09-2021, 03:37 AM
Funnily enough the last time the Dees lost was... when they played us. Back in July. Think they might be due.

azabob
12-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Funnily enough the last time the Dees lost was... when they played us. Back in July. Think they might be due.

shit son, awesome stat.

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 08:25 PM

Never listen to this dickhead ever. What an absolute tool.

Twodogs
15-09-2021, 01:45 PM
Never listen to this dickhead ever. What an absolute tool.

Yeah, nah. He's alright.

Sometimes.

bornadog
15-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Reading back the comments is funny.

jeemak
15-09-2021, 02:36 PM
Yes, we can and will win it.

A change in tact from our midfielders who were arrogant today will get it done. Hell, we should have won today by a few goals and if we did, we'd all be saying it's doable and the Bruce injury is just another challenge we have to overcome because his goals don't count anyway.

This guy's clearly a moron.

EasternWest
15-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Yeah, nah. He's alright.

Sometimes.

Shucks.

This guy's clearly a moron.

Personally I don't care how rude our players are on field.

Topdog
16-09-2021, 07:40 AM
Wow some negative nellies in here, yes we can

I must admit i did start to lose faith after the loss to Port