PDA

View Full Version : Delisting and Retirements - 2021

bornadog
10-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Post all delistings and retirements here. Some delistings could be a bargain to fill a role.

Also here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/retirements-and-delistings

bornadog
10-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Confirmed

* We know Jong has retired.

* Tom Rockliff has announced his retirement

Potential retirements

* Adelaide refusing to guarantee Tex Walker will be back in 2022

* Carlton's Murphy to play 300th, will he retire?

* James Frawley with knee injury, may not get another contract

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Cash Converters Option:

Tom Lynch, Adelaide, DFA, 30yo, 162 Games - one year deal on not much money to cover Bruce. Kicked 30+ Four years. Not a star, but a very cheap insurance policy if we want a 193cm 88kg target to have while Bruce gets his body right.

GVGjr
10-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Cash Converters Option:

Tom Lynch, Adelaide, DFA, 30yo, 162 Games - one year deal on not much money to cover Bruce. Kicked 30+ Four years. Not a star, but a very cheap insurance policy if we want a 193cm 88kg target to have while Bruce gets his body right.

Nice suggestion. With doubts on Walker perhaps the Crows sweeten the deal for him

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Nice suggestion. With doubts on Walker perhaps the Crows sweeten the deal for him

They’ve delisted him. DFA.

ADELAIDE will part ways with Tom Lynch at the end of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season after not offering the experienced forward a new contract.

The 30-year-old has been an important part of the Crows' forward line since arriving from St Kilda before the 2012 season.

Lynch enjoyed his best seasons when Adelaide were in deep finals contention between 2015 and 2017 but has kicked just six goals in eight games this year.

He booted 42 goals in 2016 and finished with a career-high 10-goal haul during a game against GWS in 2013.

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks hailed the contribution Lynch has made as a member of the Crows' leadership group during the past five years.

"Tom has been described as 'The Connector' and it is a good description of the influence that he has had on and off the field, which has been significant," Nicks said.

Lynch said he was hoping to add to his 161 career games before the end of the season and would soon decide if he is to try and play on a different club next year or retire.

Axe Man
10-08-2021, 01:01 PM
Cash Converters Option:

Not sure he is a direct replacement for Bruce as 'The Connector' description is apt - his best footy was as a high forward linking up between the backline and forwards. However I guess he could fit in if we rejigged and had Naughton, English and Marra as the primary deeper forwards? Whether he is still up to it and healthy enough is another question.

jazzadogs
10-08-2021, 01:37 PM
I like Lynch. He played the first 6 games this year, got injured, and has returned for the last 4.
Rd 18 15k 10h 6m 1 goal
Rd 19 11k 6h 7m 1 goal
Rd 20 9k 9h 4m 1 goal
Rd 21 10k 12h 6m 1.2

That says to me that he's still got something to offer. I think a hit-up half forward with good skills would be a great addition to our side - but not necessarily a priority.

bornadog
10-08-2021, 01:42 PM
I like Lynch. He played the first 6 games this year, got injured, and has returned for the last 4.
Rd 18 15k 10h 6m 1 goal
Rd 19 11k 6h 7m 1 goal
Rd 20 9k 9h 4m 1 goal
Rd 21 10k 12h 6m 1.2

That says to me that he's still got something to offer. I think a hit-up half forward with good skills would be a great addition to our side - but not necessarily a priority.

Could we play Lynch and Hannan in the same side?

GVGjr
10-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Could we play Lynch and Hannan in the same side?

If anyone can it's Bevo :)

bornadog
10-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Stephen Hill has retired

DOG GOD
10-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Stephen Hill has retired
Wow…too many injuries ?

bornadog
10-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Wow…too many injuries ?

Yes, that is what he said.

soupman
10-08-2021, 03:53 PM
I advocated for us looking at Lynch these last two years. I think he is a decent option and while a different player to Bruce is still good enough imo. I am probably more inclined to us getting a long term proper ruck though and playing English forward more, but Lynch would be cheap and is ready to go.

Scraggers
10-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Cash Converters Option:

If he is still available with our last pick in the draft, then yes. Not a priority, and I'm not going to trade for him.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 05:16 PM
If he is still available with our last pick in the draft, then yes. Not a priority, and I'm not going to trade for him.

He’s soon to be a Delisted Free Agent. Anyone can get him for free.

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 05:16 PM
He’s a Delisted Free Agent. Anyone can get him for free.

I'd take him.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 05:20 PM
I'd take him.

Seems a no brainer. Effectively in the last spot of our list for one year on average money. Best cheap insurance policy we have.

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 05:23 PM
Seems a no brainer. Effectively in the last spot of our list for one year on average money. Best cheap insurance policy we have.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I'm just a sucker for cripples, bastards and broken things.

Grantysghost
10-08-2021, 05:34 PM
To be honest I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I'm just a sucker for cripples, bastards and broken things.

What channel is that on?

Grantysghost
10-08-2021, 06:30 PM
CARLTON champion Marc Murphy will play his 300th and final game this weekend, having informed the playing group he will retire after becoming just the sixth Blues player to ever reach the landmark milestone

EasternWest
10-08-2021, 08:06 PM
What channel is that on?

It's on the "remember when Tyrion Lannister was the best character in the show and not just a throwaway comedic sidekick" series of episodes.

Dry Rot
10-08-2021, 09:03 PM
CARLTON champion Marc Murphy will play his 300th and final game this weekend, having informed the playing group he will retire after becoming just the sixth Blues player to ever reach the landmark milestone

I hope the other 5 were good. Murphy is not.

Never been really impressed by Murphy. Ditto Bryce Gibbs.

Kennedy was so lucky to get traded out of that shithole. Has had a great career and bagged a flag.

Cant say the same about any recent Carlton players.

bornadog
10-08-2021, 10:04 PM

I don't want too many hasbeens, unless it is an absolute need like Ruck.

Rather keep a spot for someone like Bedendo. Lynch is a not a need, Jamarra and Naughton can hold down the roles as the talls, with English slipping down there. Hannan is 190cm, so we have that mid size HFF.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 10:14 PM
I don't want too many hasbeens, unless it is an absolute need like Ruck.

Rather keep a spot for someone like Bedendo. Lynch is a not a need, Jamarra and Naughton can hold down the roles as the talls, with English slipping down there. Hannan is 190cm, so we have that mid size HFF.

Bedendo has a contract.
Naughton will get double teamed. If he’s injured, we are *!*!*!*!ed.
Marra has played 5 games and will get smashed if he’s #2 which harms his development.
Hannan has done little as we often agree.
Schache is a defender.

I think we desperately need an insurance policy to cover Bruce.

boydogs
12-08-2021, 01:23 AM
In for Lynch but don't think we will be the only ones. Surprised the Crows delisted rather than hold for trade

Dry Rot
12-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Talia delisted

EasternWest
12-08-2021, 03:24 PM
Talia delisted

I hope they did it by text and said "Bevo sends his regards"

bornadog
12-08-2021, 03:29 PM
I hope they did it by text and said "Bevo sends his regards"

Nah, he lost his phone and would have still fronted for training

bornadog
15-08-2021, 05:37 PM
Eddie Betts set to announce retirement. Has been a great footballer.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran Suns, Jack Hombsch and Jordan Murdoch have announce their retirement

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Casboult not offered another contract by Carlton. Probably a closer approximation of Josh Bruce than Tom Lynch is but doubt we would go there.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Casboult not offered another contract by Carlton. Probably a closer approximation of Josh Bruce than Tom Lynch is but doubt we would go there.

He is 32 in March next year. I think he is worth a Bruce fill in for a year?

Pickenitup
17-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Absolutely think we should get Levi as a DFA to help cover the loss of Bruce.
He can also pinch hit in the ruck and has played down back.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 12:00 PM
David Astbury to retire at just 30, surprising call.

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 12:05 PM

We have talked about him on here for a couple of years so worth considering.
If we land a ruck man and English can play more forward then we probably don't need him as much.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 12:16 PM
He is 32 in March next year. I think he is worth a Bruce fill in for a year?

Naughton and Casboult in the same forward line? Not sure I will survive that!

Jeanette54
17-08-2021, 12:19 PM
What about Tex ??? He could fulfill the Bruce role, and is somewhat "tainted" at the moment, and could come cheap.

Would it be politically correct to offer him a lifeline if the Crows don't take him on again.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 12:27 PM
What about Tex ??? He could fulfill the Bruce role, and is somewhat "tainted" at the moment, and could come cheap.

Would it be politically correct to offer him a lifeline if the Crows don't take him on again.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell. No club will touch him.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2021, 12:33 PM
David Astbury to retire at just 30, surprising call.

Took me by surprise. A few clubs too I imagine.

The bulldog tragician
17-08-2021, 12:34 PM

A definite no. He is “tainted” for a reason.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Not a snowflakes chance in hell. No club will touch him.

The players definitely wouldn't want him.

The Underdog
17-08-2021, 01:03 PM

That was my first thought. We’d get plenty of contested marks inside 50 for a 20% conversion rate.

josie
17-08-2021, 01:05 PM

100% with you GG. I quite like big Levi, he sure can clunk a good mark & is not pushed around easily. Agree though - goal kicking with him & Naughty would make as all tear our hair out (even more then now). Can Levi ruck OK? Is he reasonably mobile? Perhaps part time only in forward line?

comrade
17-08-2021, 01:07 PM
I wish Naughts was as reliable as Levi in front of goal, especially within 30m.

bornadog
17-08-2021, 01:16 PM
100% with you GG. I quite like big Levi, he sure can clunk a good mark & is not pushed around easily. Agree though - goal kicking with him & Naughty would make as all tear our hair out (even more then now). Can Levi ruck OK? Is he reasonably mobile? Perhaps part time only in forward line?

He is actually better than you think.

Over his career he has kicked 154/112 or 58% accuracy - still not brilliant, but he has improved in his latter years

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 01:47 PM

Casboult is a fine example of a limited player who showed improvement in his goal kicking later in his career.
All these nonsense excuses that get offered up about players missing goals because they're fatigued during games rather than acknowledging they have a flaw in their technique and working on that really does limit players from improving.

Casboult is OK in the ruck for 5 to 10 minutes a quarter.

Jeanette54
17-08-2021, 01:59 PM
The players definitely wouldn't want him.

Like most, I have no idea what he actually said, but.....

So we practice cancel culture, and send him packing forever for one thoughtless act. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Mofra
17-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Casboult is a fine example of a limited player who showed improvement in his goal kicking later in his career.
All these nonsense excuses that get offered up about players missing goals because they're fatigued during games rather than acknowledging they have a flaw in their technique and working on that really does limit players from improving.

Casboult is OK in the ruck for 5 to 10 minutes a quarter.
It's not the worst suggestion. He came fifth in Carlton's B&F one year playing half the season in defence.
We're lauding Schache for producing in one game Casboult produced in 10

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 02:31 PM

So we practice cancel culture, and send him packing forever for one thoughtless act. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

No I actually don't think he should be run out of the game to he honest and hope his career doesnt end on this sour note.

He has had a great year been very impressive and that sort of player alone is certainly attractive.

However from our teams point of view I believe there would be certain players who would struggle with Tex coming into the fold after this incident.

Aside from that I'm not sure how long he has left and I'd rather get games into Jamarra and use Tim forward.

josie
17-08-2021, 02:37 PM

It’s an interesting dilemma for sure. Part of me says if the fabric of a club is strong and if Tex truly can make reparations beyond his apology in a way that truly makes a positive contribution then why not. The overall outcome (not considering footy performance) might be more positive for society, the club that considers him and Tex himself than simply writing him off. The other part of me thinks with the stretched resources at clubs and the danger of players seeing his acquisition as a negative then it’s not worth the risk. I also do not know if Tex has a history of racial blindness or other stupid acts so that’s a big consideration too. There’d have to be a lot of internal consultation before such a decision could be made.

Whatever happens I do hope Tex can somehow contribute in a meaningful way to stamping out racism, whether that’s through deeds outside an AFL playing career or not.

To me zero tolerance needs to co-exist within a society where one, albeit disgraceful, mistake does not mean a person is beyond redemption and nor should we treat them as if they are beyond it.

This a kind of long winded way of me agreeing with you Jeanette54!! Perhaps I should have just hit thanks button for making me think this through!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2021, 02:40 PM

That's a HARD No from me.

SquirrelGrip
17-08-2021, 02:43 PM
He is actually better than you think.

Over his career he has kicked 154/112 or 58% accuracy - still not brilliant, but he has improved in his latter years

That doesn't include another 180 out on the full.

GVGjr
17-08-2021, 02:46 PM

I remain convinced players can adapt and learn. Tex has made a huge error and deserves his whack but I don't think he should be written off as a player.

I doubt we would consider him but I think it's an error to write him off as a person or player. It can be a learning experience not just a hanging one.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 02:47 PM
I hope Tex can play at the Crows next year and go some way to redeeming himself. I just can't see another club wanting to deal with the circus that would ensue if he continued his career elsewhere, especially for a player almost at the end. And that's before you even consider the wishes of the playing group, as previously mentioned.

Grantysghost
17-08-2021, 02:50 PM
That doesn't include another 180 out on the full.

And 57 into the man on the mark xD

He has improved for sure, was it Sav Rocca that helped him out?

bornadog
17-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Cale Hooker retiring.

macca
17-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Cale Hooker retiring.

One less player who can kick bags against us.

Axe Man
17-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Jarrod Harbrow to get a farewell game this weekend which is a nice touch by the Suns since he hasn't played AFL since round 5.

jazzadogs
17-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Jarrod Harbrow to get a farewell game this weekend which is a nice touch by the Suns since he hasn't played AFL since round 5.

Games record holder for the Suns, isn't he?

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 12:33 AM

I think most everybody knows what he said.

Also, "cancel culture" is possibly the worst modern day catchphrase ever created.

I just wouldn't want him because I think he's a spent force. He's played some good footy this year but he was racing to the cliff before it. I'd be worried he spent all his tickets this year finding some form.

Plus you know, the racist thing.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 01:08 AM
I think most everybody knows what he said.

Also, "cancel culture" is possibly the worst modern day catchphrase ever created.

I just wouldn't want him because I think he's a spent force. He's played some good footy this year but he was racing to the cliff before it. I'd be worried he spent all his tickets this year finding some form.

It is, but it's also real. People are going to burn Walker, and still watch Wayne Carey on a Friday night without any problems at all. A man who has committed multiple offences against women, that involved physical violence and not words. Now I'm not saying physical violence or violence committed by words are the same or different, rather, one carries an element of retribution against the perpetrator the other seemingly doesn't.

As a catchphrase it's bad enough, as you've said, but upon closer examination it's even dirtier because it in itself is discriminatory against all of the rock solid offenders and perpetrators of violence upon women who need to be recognised in society, but never are.

boydogs
18-08-2021, 02:21 AM
Also, "cancel culture" is possibly the worst modern day catchphrase ever created

The relentless insistence on finding offence in everything, such as the name of biscuits, really grinds my gears. I'm a Labor voter but that sort of thing trivialises the inclusive cause

On topic, Cale Hooker might be alright if we can coax him out of retirement

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 04:33 AM
It is, but it's also real. People are going to burn Walker, and still watch Wayne Carey on a Friday night without any problems at all. A man who has committed multiple offences against women, that involved physical violence and not words. Now I'm not saying physical violence or violence committed by words are the same or different, rather, one carries an element of retribution against the perpetrator the other seemingly doesn't.

As a catchphrase it's bad enough, as you've said, but upon closer examination it's even dirtier because it in itself is discriminatory against all of the rock solid offenders and perpetrators of violence upon women who need to be recognised in society, but never are.

Wait, isn't Wayne Carey having a job the opposite of cancel culture?

jeemak
18-08-2021, 04:55 AM

Ha...yeah...kind of my point but I was drunk well before midnight.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 04:57 AM
Delete.

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 08:53 AM

Isn't saying an opinion is cancel culture, kind of.. cancelling it?

I'm all for cancelling cancel culture, the anonymous metaphorical guillotine driven by the social media time machine (that just needs a beat).

But in this instance I don't have any problem with the standards we are holding Taylor accountable to.

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 09:17 AM
But in this instance I don't have any problem with the standards we are holding Taylor accountable to.

What did you think of the issue with Lin Jong that BAD raised the other day?
It appears we chose to wait until seasons end to address it.

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 09:25 AM
What did you think of the issue with Lin Jong that BAD raised the other day?
It appears we chose to wait until seasons end to address it.

I guess there's a couple of parts. If Lin didn't want to report it then it is difficult for the club, and I guess in the progress that's been made since then someone else may have done it for him (that's our work place culture and code of conduct now) but it's never as easy said as done. It takes courage to lead in that way.

On the other hand if the club was aware, they should've dealt with it immediately I believe.

Certainly not on to my standards that's for sure (if true).

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 10:05 AM
I guess there's a couple of parts. If Lin didn't want to report it then it is difficult for the club, and I guess in the progress that's been made since then someone else may have done it for him (that's our work place culture and code of conduct now) but it's never as easy said as done. It takes courage to lead in that way.

On the other hand if the club was aware, they should've dealt with it immediately I believe.

Certainly not on to my standards that's for sure (if true).

Not sure if we can use the excuse that Lin didn't want it addressed when as BAD pointed out it was one of the reasons we got rid of Stringer. You can't let things simmer and lets face it the standards you even reluctantly walk past are what you are effectively accepting. Between that and the rumored bullying that took place we really let things slip in 2017.

Racism wasn't acceptable then or years before that.

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Isn't saying an opinion is cancel culture, kind of.. cancelling it?

I'm all for cancelling cancel culture, the anonymous metaphorical guillotine driven by the social media time machine (that just needs a beat).

I want this deleted. Grantysghost is cancelled.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 10:18 AM
Not sure if we can use the excuse that Lin didn't want it addressed when as BAD pointed out it was one of the reasons we got rid of Stringer. You can't let things simmer and lets face it the standards you even reluctantly walk past are what you are effectively accepting. Between that and the rumored bullying that took place we really let things slip in 2017.

Sorry I should have clarified what I said about " one of the reasons" It was this type of behaviour and other things like bullying Tom Boyd. I don't even know if it was specifically addressed by the club, as I don't know if Jong complained to the club. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the club found out some way. Also, I don't know exactly the timing, and when it happened. If for example, Stringer was already on the outer and about to be shipped out, perhaps the club thought they would just keep it internal and he was going anyway?

That is all I can add.

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 10:25 AM
I want this deleted. Grantysghost is cancelled.
It’s an appropriate course of action.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Another eker bites the dust - Shaun McKernan retiring.

hujsh
18-08-2021, 11:38 AM

I haven't called anyone else a black anything so I'm one step ahead of Tex there.

Lucky for Tex cancel culture doesn't exist or else we wouldn't be so blessed to listen to Wayne Carey every week

hujsh
18-08-2021, 11:51 AM
The relentless insistence on finding offence in everything, such as the name of biscuits, really grinds my gears. I'm a Labor voter but that sort of thing trivialises the inclusive cause

That kind of thing has been around since the 50s. Not a new thing at all

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 11:57 AM

That kind of thing has been around since the 50s. Not a new thing at all

Back on delistings/retirements - Cale Hooker moves like he was born in the 50s, I think he's cooked.

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 12:13 PM

Totally agree. Now we are seeing more people stand up and do something about it too which is great.

I played footy in the 90s, we've come a looooong way.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that we were better off as a club with Lin, and without Jake.

Mofra
18-08-2021, 01:27 PM
Been playing as a VFL onfield coach. By all accounts the indigenous boys love him

SquirrelGrip
18-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Been playing as a VFL onfield coach. By all accounts the indigenous boys love him

Would he be worth doing the same at Footscray next year?

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 01:42 PM

He took the first opportunity he could to return to Queensland and I can't see anybody too keen to move south in the current climate.

Mofra
18-08-2021, 02:46 PM
A handy spot for all retirements: https://www.afl.com.au/news/retirements-and-delistings

Mofra
I believe that's why we wanted to sign Jermaine Jones to our VFL side (before WCE pounced with a rookie offer).
Travis Varcoe suddenly became an important signing for us

bornadog
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9B6AbSVgAEHdX4?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
18-08-2021, 03:11 PM
Reece Conca will not be offered a new contract by Fremantle

mjp
18-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Reece Conca will not be offered a new contract by Fremantle

This one is pretty controversial. If he had played ONE MORE game this year he would have triggered a contract extension clause...lot's of stories that is why he has been left out of the team of late.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Harbrow was involved in the biggest hit I've seen live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfu46ZGHm-U

This would get weeks nowadays. Madness that Lewis came back onto the field.

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 03:31 PM
Harbrow was involved in the biggest hit I've seen live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfu46ZGHm-U

This would get weeks nowadays. Madness that Lewis came back onto the field.

I was at that game too - as a lot of us probably were I suppose - and it was one of the loudest clashes I've ever heard. Loudest was when Lloyd ironed out Sewell.

Not sure I agree about the getting weeks now, unless it's judged solely on impact. In my opinion Harbrow was making a fair attempt to spoil.

Couldn't stand Jordan Lewis but that was courageous. Stupid, dumb courageous, but courageous none the less.

The bulldog tragician
18-08-2021, 03:36 PM

Wayne Carey should not be commentating. He is a serial offender of violent acts against women including glassing one in the face and any time I see the Boys Club guffawing along with “Duck” I feel ill.

I have commented before on here that while racism is deservedly a complete no-no, attitudes towards women aren’t shifting at the same rate. Walker called the Indigenous player a “black c***” but the outcry wouldn’t have happened if he omitted the word black.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-08-2021, 03:55 PM
I was at that game too - as a lot of us probably were I suppose - and it was one of the loudest clashes I've ever heard. Loudest was when Lloyd ironed out Sewell.

Not sure I agree about the getting weeks now, unless it's judged solely on impact. In my opinion Harbrow was making a fair attempt to spoil.

Couldn't stand Jordan Lewis but that was courageous. Stupid, dumb courageous, but courageous none the less.

Yeah this would be a tricky one for the MRO today. Similar to the incident this year between saints and crows with Hunter. I mean Harbrow goes for the ball. He’s trying to spoil it….

jeemak
18-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Wayne Carey should not be commentating. He is a serial offender of violent acts against women including glassing one in the face and any time I see the Boys Club guffawing along with “Duck” I feel ill.

I have commented before on here that while racism is deservedly a complete no-no, attitudes towards women aren’t shifting at the same rate. Walker called the Indigenous player a “black c***” but the outcry wouldn’t have happened if he omitted the word black.

It's an interesting one because for me I don't associate the C-word with female anatomy. But I'm a guy, not up to me to say whether women should be offended by it or otherwise.

Agree with you on Carey, though reckon the most apt word is fawning.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 04:16 PM
This one is pretty controversial. If he had played ONE MORE game this year he would have triggered a contract extension clause...lot's of stories that is why he has been left out of the team of late.

Is this the future for teams that aren't necessarily contending?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Is this the future for teams that aren't necessarily contending?

That’s why we’ve not played Martin in the second half of the year. He’s been fit the entire time. Bloody Sam Power penny pinching.

Dry Rot
18-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Is Conca any good or cooked?

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 07:14 PM

Conked out.

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 08:03 PM

He's potentially still got some decent footy in front of him but I think he will be lucky to find another club unless it's for a contending team and perhaps as a rookie.
For Freo to only play him once after round round 8 (8 in a row before that) and leaving him one game shy of 150 games I wonder why they went out of their way to stop him triggering another 12 month deal?

I wouldn't think he offers us much.

Bulldog Revolution
19-08-2021, 09:23 AM
For Freo to only play him once after round round 8 (8 in a row before that) and leaving him one game shy of 150 games I wonder why they went out of their way to stop him triggering another 12 month deal?

Its hard to suggest its been anything other than a deliberate strategy

It stinks and I hope he gets all of his trigger year money deal

bornadog
19-08-2021, 11:15 AM
David Mackay will play his final match for Adelaide this weekend

Bachar Houli retiring

Bulldog Revolution
19-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Bachar Houli retiring

Even before he got to the Tigers I was a massive Houli fan - beautiful left foot

Great career - fantastic role model and person

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Houli is strange as I heard him on Triple M last Friday adamant that he wanted to play on next season. I suspect the club thought otherwise.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Shaun Burgoyne has confirmed it will be 407 and out this weekend.

Bulldog Revolution
19-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Houli is strange as I heard him on Triple M last Friday adamant that he wanted to play on next season. I suspect the club thought otherwise.

I suspect they've been discussing it all season - but its taken a while for him to come to terms with it

Mofra
19-08-2021, 02:09 PM
David Mackay will play his final match for Adelaide this weekend
The Crows' favourite whopping boy. Fans will be at a loss of what to do now.
Last two years have been on rookie contract haven't they? 200+ games from a forth round pick, he's done well.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 02:12 PM
A couple more

* Zaharakis has not yet retired, but sources say he is not expected to be given a new contract by the Bombers

* Jake Carlisle’s St Kilda career has come to an end.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 02:20 PM
I look forward to us starting a Carlisle thread if we go out of the finals in week one.

EasternWest
19-08-2021, 07:46 PM
I look forward to us starting a Carlisle thread if we go out of the finals in week one.

We all know by "us" you mean you.

azabob
19-08-2021, 08:50 PM

My thread will be trade Should we Tim English for Sean Darcy

jeemak
19-08-2021, 09:09 PM
We all know by "us" you mean you.

I only suggest trades that make the board go into meltdown, not irrationally pine for somebody who's cooked.

EasternWest
19-08-2021, 10:03 PM
I only suggest trades that make the board go into meltdown, not irrationally pine for somebody who's cooked.

Suggest going after Carlisle would achieve meltdown status.

jeemak
19-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Suggest going after Carlisle would achieve meltdown status.

I wouldn't do it you numbnut, but I can assure you, someone else will.

EasternWest
19-08-2021, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't do it you numbnut, but I can assure you, someone else will.

I bet it's that new guy, kameej

westdog54
19-08-2021, 11:16 PM
Even before he got to the Tigers I was a massive Houli fan - beautiful left foot

Great career - fantastic role model and person

Houli is one of my favourite non bulldog players of all time.

A wonderfully skilled footballer and a great ambassador for the game. Should have at least one Norm Smith medal to his name.

Never shoved his faith down anyone's throat but gave you an honest answer when asked about it, and when he did it was a wonderful insight.

Seems to be a genuine gentleman and family man.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 04:46 PM
Freo players

Defenders Tobe Watson and Taylin Duman, along with forward Brett Bewley and speedy small midfielder Stefan Giro, were all told they won't be offered new contracts for 2022.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 07:17 PM
Delete

jeemak
25-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Freo players

Defenders Tobe Watson and Taylin Duman, along with forward Brett Bewley and speedy small midfielder Stefan Giro, were all told they won't be offered new contracts for 2022.

I don't know anything about these guys, or some of their weird names.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 07:30 PM

I thought the exact same thing. If you were told two were made up names and you were asked to guess them, I’d believe that. Picking which two though, that’s the hard part.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 07:51 PM
I thought the exact same thing. If you were told two were made up names and you were asked to guess them, I’d believe that. Picking which two though, that’s the hard part.

No way there's a Brett Bewley. What's a Tobe? Is that Toby, but modern?

bornadog
25-08-2021, 08:42 PM

MJP may know them, as some of his family follow Freo

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 09:00 PM

The other sounds like skateboarding or surfing move. The Taylin’ Du Man.

Or asking a surveillance copper what they did today, I was Taylin’ Du Man to the drug lab.

This one is a fake.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 09:03 PM

Tobe. It’s short for Toblerone.

Too easy a fake name too.

divvydan
25-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Tobe is like Jobe but with a T

Sedat
25-08-2021, 09:34 PM
Tobe is like Jobe but with a T
And we all thought Jobe was on drugs (well, he was)

jazzadogs
25-08-2021, 09:49 PM
I'm sure the commentators pronounce Tobe as Toby...but that doesn't mean it's right.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 10:04 PM
The other sounds like skateboarding or surfing move. The Taylin’ Du Man.

Or asking a surveillance copper what they did today, I was Taylin’ Du Man to the drug lab.

This one is a fake.

Tobe. It’s short for Toblerone.

Too easy a fake name too.

See I reckon these are the decoy fake names of the lot. So obvious they're fake that they can't be.

bornadog
17-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood

Tom Lynch (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/662809/no-contract-crows-to-part-ways-with-veteran-forward)
Jake Kelly (FA) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/675287/essendon-set-to-land-crows-unrestricted-free-agent-jake-kelly)
David Mackay (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666635/done-and-dusted-veteran-crow-to-hang-up-the-boots-after-248-games)
Tyson Stengle (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/563194/crows-stengle-part-ways-despite-offer-to-stay-on-club-s-list)
Daniel Talia (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/663053/crows-delist-dual-all-australian-defender)
Grant Birchall (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/675246/veteran-calls-time-after-four-flags-287-games-and-two-clubs)
Archie Smith (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676989/long-time-lions-ruckman-requests-fresh-start)
Eddie Betts (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666054/the-eddie-betts-show-is-officially-over-one-of-the-greats-retires)
Levi Casboult (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666252/big-blue-s-last-stand-no-2022-contract-for-key-forward)
Marc Murphy (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/662824/300-and-out-veteran-blue-to-retire-after-milestone-game)
Levi Greenwood (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/639244/tough-magpie-retires-after-ongoing-concussion-battles)
Chris Mayne (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/659022/mayne-event-comes-to-a-close-veteran-pie-ex-docker-calls-time)
Anton Tohill (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670933/defender-turns-back-on-pies-to-pursue-medical-degree-in-ireland)

Essendon
Fremantle
Geelong
Gold Coast

Patrick Ambrose (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/662947/essendon-swingman-retires-injuries-get-the-better-of-aerobic-beast)
Ned Cahill (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676866/buzz-cut-mosquito-among-three-don-delistings)
Cale Hooker (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666329/-i-left-no-stone-unturned-hooker-hangs-up-the-boots)
Lachie Johnson (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676866/buzz-cut-mosquito-among-three-don-delistings)
Irving Mosquito (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676866/buzz-cut-mosquito-among-three-don-delistings)
David Zaharakis (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/673239/-zacka-done-at-dons-no-new-contract-but-veteran-wants-to-play-on)
Brett Bewley (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670529/)
Reece Conca (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666504/docker-delisted-defender-falls-short-of-contract-trigger)
Taylin Duman (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670529/)
Stefan Giro (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670529/)
Stephen Hill (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/662854/classy-docker-calls-time-after-physically-challenging-years)
Leno Thomas (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/655307/dockers-assistant-stood-down-youngster-charged-after-quarantine-breaches)
Tobe Watson (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670529/)

Jarrod Harbrow (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666453/shaped-by-dogs-to-gold-coast-great-original-sun-says-farewell)
Jack Hombsch (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666120)
Jordan Murdoch (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666120)
Zac Smith (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666212/another-sun-retires-inaugural-ruck-and-former-cat-calls-it-a-day)

GWS
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne

Matt Buntine (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677279/former-no-5-pick-among-two-inaugural-giants-cut)
Tom Hutcheson (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677279/former-no-5-pick-among-two-inaugural-giants-cut)
Sam Reid (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677279/former-no-5-pick-among-two-inaugural-giants-cut)
Nick Shipley (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677279/former-no-5-pick-among-two-inaugural-giants-cut)
Keegan Brooksby (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674785/hawks-cut-five-23yo-midfielder-ex-bomber-among-departures)
Shaun Burgoyne (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666654/silk-road-comes-to-an-end-burgoyne-confirms-retirement)
James Cousins (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674785/hawks-cut-five-23yo-midfielder-ex-bomber-among-departures)
Damon Greaves (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674785/hawks-cut-five-23yo-midfielder-ex-bomber-among-departures)
Michael Hartley (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674785/hawks-cut-five-23yo-midfielder-ex-bomber-among-departures)
Jonathon Patton (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/594757/patton-announces-shock-retirement-apologises-for-inappropriate-behaviour)
Harrison Pepper (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674785/hawks-cut-five-23yo-midfielder-ex-bomber-among-departures)
Tom Scully (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/544934/retirement-bombshell-former-no-1-quits-hawks-in-shock-call)

Nathan Jones (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677123/)
Taylor Garner (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/673490/roos-cull-four-former-first-round-picks-among-departures)
Connor Menadue (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/673490/roos-cull-four-former-first-round-picks-among-departures)
Dom Tyson (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/673490/roos-cull-four-former-first-round-picks-among-departures)
Will Walker (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/673490/roos-cull-four-former-first-round-picks-among-departures)

Port Adelaide
Richmond
St Kilda
Sydney

Joel Garner (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676915/no-bad-blood-port-cult-figure-culled-will-explore-options)
Hamish Hartlett (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676915/no-bad-blood-port-cult-figure-culled-will-explore-options)
Tom Rockliff (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/662355/rocky-s-road-ends-power-ball-magnet-retires-after-injury-riddled-2021)
David Astbury (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666253/)
Bachar Houli (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666640/triple-premiership-hero-s-shock-retirement-effective-immediately)
Patrick Naish (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670274/father-son-tiger-cut-after-just-nine-games-in-four-years)
Sam Alabakis (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676906)
Jake Carlisle (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666787/st-kilda-defender-jake-carlisle-retires-at-just-29)
Oscar Clavarino (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/676906)
James Frawley (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670596/suns-interest-as-ball-magnet-exits-saints-chip-finally-cooked)
Shaun McKernan (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666479/after-13-seasons-and-three-clubs-it-s-the-end-of-the-road-for-journeyman)
Dylan Roberton (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/556481/-family-and-future-first-saint-retires-effective-immediately)
Kaiden Brand (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677637/former-first-round-pick-among-four-delisted-by-swans)
Malachy Carruthers (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677637/former-first-round-pick-among-four-delisted-by-swans)
Sam Gray (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677637/former-first-round-pick-among-four-delisted-by-swans)
Matthew Ling (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677637/former-first-round-pick-among-four-delisted-by-swans)

West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Brendon Ah Chee (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674952/flag-hero-among-two-eagles-axed-big-man-calls-it-quits)
Brayden Ainsworth (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677523/eagles-cut-three-more-with-promising-mid-let-go)
Will Collins (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677523/eagles-cut-three-more-with-promising-mid-let-go)
Mark Hutchings (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674952/flag-hero-among-two-eagles-axed-big-man-calls-it-quits)
Ben Johnson (del) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/677523/eagles-cut-three-more-with-promising-mid-let-go)
Nathan Vardy (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674952/flag-hero-among-two-eagles-axed-big-man-calls-it-quits)
Daniel Venables (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/659155/premiership-eagle-forced-to-retire-on-medical-advice-at-just-22)
Lin Jong (ret) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/659080/injury-plagued-dog-retires-after-65-games-in-10-years)

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 01:23 PM
Daniel Talia to sit out 2022 with his foot injury (and not wanting to leave SA).

bornadog
14-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Daniel Talia to sit out 2022 with his foot injury (and not wanting to leave SA).

Certainly finished as an AFL player

Mitcha
14-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Nah, Geelong told him to wait another 12 months before he fits into their sweet spot age wise.

Hotdog60
14-10-2021, 06:04 PM
Collingwood forward Josh Thomas has retired

https://www.afl.com.au/news/684525/-no-fuss-magpie-calls-it-quits-after-123-games-in-black-and-white

Grantysghost
14-10-2021, 06:35 PM
Astbury is one I’d be on the phone to.

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 06:43 PM
Astbury is one I’d be on the phone to.

Why would he though? Has a player ever genuinely voluntarily retired and then immediately made a comeback for a different team? It's different to someone like Hodge who was pushed out the door by the Hawks. If he wanted to keep playing he would still be at Richmond.

Grantysghost
14-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Why would he though? Has a player ever genuinely voluntarily retired and then immediately made a comeback for a different team? It's different to someone like Hodge who was pushed out the door by the Hawks. If he wanted to keep playing he would still be at Richmond.

You’re right it’s probably moot.

If he’s not got the fire anymore it’s pointless, just be worth a phone call and a where’s your head at type of thing.

At 30 if his body is sound you’d think it would be an attractive proposition to head to a challenging team.

Long shot as you say, probably more to do with me being surprised he ended it and where he would fit with our team.

hujsh
14-10-2021, 07:31 PM

Mal Michael?

GVGjr
14-10-2021, 08:41 PM
Did I hear Geelong has delisted Charlie Constable? He'd be a good one for the Saints

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 11:04 PM
Mal Michael?

Yeah, good point. That was weird.

boydogs
14-10-2021, 11:47 PM

Think there's been a few, Luke Hodge comes to mind

Axe Man
15-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Think there's been a few, Luke Hodge comes to mind

Lol, did you even read what I wrote? :D

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Cavarra and Hayes not offered contracts for 2022

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025767/bulldogs-confirm-two-list-changes

comrade
15-10-2021, 05:04 PM
Cav I could understand keeping for another year, but retaining Hayes for the 2021 season made no sense at the time and even less now.

soupman
15-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Cav I could understand keeping for another year, but retaining Hayes for the 2021 season made no sense at the time and even less now.

Cannot believe we re-signed them after cutting them last year. It's certainly not their fault but it was always going to be a waste of two list spots.

jeemak
15-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Cannot believe we re-signed them after cutting them last year. It's certainly not their fault but it was always going to be a waste of two list spots.

I've never read you expressing this opinion in the past........ :)

divvydan
15-10-2021, 07:46 PM
Large number of delistings across the competition today, might be more over the weekend.

Ade: Talia officially retired

Coll: Thomas retires. Sier, Rantall, Chugg all delisted but Chugg will be re-rookied if available.

Ess: Gleeson delisted

Gee: Constable delisted

Haw: Hanrahan delisted

Port: Lienert and Woodcock delisted

Rich: Eggmolesse-Smith, Garthwaite, Cumberland, Nyuon delisted. Cumberland and Nyuon will be re-rookied if available.

Stk: Jack Lonie delisted

jeemak
15-10-2021, 07:59 PM
Thanks Cody Weightman for stepping up so as to avoid us with being linked with Loanie!

I feel for Loanie because he seemed like a good guy from the times I've played golf with him. Plus he had a chance to join the Blues but stuck it out with the Saints who then brought in Higgins. Hopefully he gets a gig somewhere.

divvydan
15-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Seems Port weren't done. Mayes delisted as well now but will be re-rookied if available.

jeemak
15-10-2021, 08:21 PM
Seems Port weren't done. Mayes delisted as well now but will be re-rookied if available.

I think I recall that I'd have been happy with both Wines and Mayes in 2012.........can't get em all right. Still played 116 games, is it just an issue of pace and not really finding a spot/ position that really suits him?

Grantysghost
15-10-2021, 09:00 PM
I think I recall that I'd have been happy with both Wines and Mayes in 2012.........can't get em all right. Still played 116 games, is it just an issue of pace and not really finding a spot/ position that really suits him?

That 2012 draft top 10 is looking interesting on reflection.
#1 - Whitfield star
#2 - O'Rourke gone
#3 - Plowman hasn't set the world on fire
#4 - Toumpas gone
#5 - Stringer?
#6 - Macrae star
#7 - Wines star
#8 - Mayes gone
#9 - Vlaustin star
#10 - Daniher?

Fun to look back, it's never a guarantee a top 10 pick.

That top 5 is very questionable.

MrMahatma
15-10-2021, 09:06 PM

Did the people's beard retire a few times?

Paul Salmon back in the day? Watson?

James Frawley from Hawks to Saints (didn't end well!)

I dunno, I reckon there's probably been a few. Motivation to do another preseason is a big part of it. Opportunity and a chance at success would be a big carrot to some players, particularly if their post-footy employment prospects aren't great.

boydogs
16-10-2021, 01:22 AM

Sorry my bad, must have just read the first line. Don't think it's as rare as you suggested though

Would be wrapped if we could get Zac Smith or Levi Casboult resurrected

bornadog
16-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Sorry my bad, must have just read the first line. Don't think it's as rare as you suggested though

Would be wrapped if we could get Zac Smith or Levi Casboult resurrected

Levi would be better than Zac

Grantysghost
16-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Levi would be better than Zac

I've always thought Smith is ok but if he's cut from the Suns then no go zone.
Casboult might be all right as a bullocking type. Can't be worse than Hayes for eg on the list.

boydogs
17-10-2021, 01:05 AM
I've always thought Smith is ok but if he's cut from the Suns then no go zone.
Casboult might be all right as a bullocking type. Can't be worse than Hayes for eg on the list.

Ruck/forward depth could be critical without Young & Bruce

divvydan
18-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Some more list changes

Melb: Hore, Declase delisted

North: Atley, Campbell, Dumont, Ham delisted

WCE: Brander delisted

Mofra
18-10-2021, 05:28 PM
I didn't mind Lienardt from Port but after signing Tim O'Brien we have no need for his type.

BTC may have been a rookie option for us if we didn't sign Martin.

GVGjr
18-10-2021, 05:31 PM
Some more list changes

Melb: Hore, Declase delisted

North: Atley, Campbell, Dumont, Ham delisted

WCE: Brander delisted

Dumont is an unlucky one, he's a decent player.
Watch a team rookie Brander. Probably Geelong.

soupman
18-10-2021, 06:19 PM
Hore is unlucky.

Played 14 games in his first year (2019) as a mature age recruit and was really good, and has been permanently injured ever since.

The Adelaide Connection
19-10-2021, 02:49 AM
Large number of delistings across the competition today, might be more over the weekend.

Ade: Talia officially retired

Coll: Thomas retires. Sier, Rantall, Chugg all delisted but Chugg will be re-rookied if available.

Ess: Gleeson delisted

Gee: Constable delisted

Haw: Hanrahan delisted

Port: Lienert and Woodcock delisted

Rich: Eggmolesse-Smith, Garthwaite, Cumberland, Nyuon delisted. Cumberland and Nyuon will be re-rookied if available.

Stk: Jack Lonie delisted

We could do a hell of a lot worse than have a look at Boyd Woodcock. Small forward with great kicking skills. I remember he was awesome in the SANFL finals in 2018 when all the talk was about Lukosius, Rozee, Rankine, etc.

bornadog
19-10-2021, 10:29 AM
We could do a hell of a lot worse than have a look at Boyd Woodcock. Small forward with great kicking skills. I remember he was awesome in the SANFL finals in 2018 when all the talk was about Lukosius, Rozee, Rankine, etc.

Did he get much of a go with Port, or was he competing with many others.

Axe Man
19-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Did he get much of a go with Port, or was he competing with many others.

Port have a heap of small forwards: Gray, Rozee, Fantasia, Motlop, Butters. He is probably a little unlucky and must be a good chance of being picked up somewhere.

G-Mo77
19-10-2021, 05:16 PM
I'm getting nostalgic and wanting to get Tommy Campbell back.

macca
19-10-2021, 08:19 PM
I'm getting nostalgic and wanting to get Tommy Campbell back.

Could he be a good backup ruckman option on the rookie list?

I also suffer from nostalgia glint.

EasternWest
19-10-2021, 10:05 PM
Could he be a good backup ruckman option on the rookie list?

I also suffer from nostalgia glint.

He wasn't a good backup ruckman the first time, why would a second time be different?

boydogs
20-10-2021, 01:50 AM
He wasn't a good backup ruckman the first time, why would a second time be different?

He was a great backup ruckman that never got picked

EasternWest
20-10-2021, 08:50 AM
He was a great backup ruckman that never got picked

We'll have to agree to disagree. He was an ok player in my opinion and that's it. I've no interest in getting him back.

Grantysghost
20-10-2021, 09:24 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. He was an ok player in my opinion and that's it. I've no interest in getting him back.

There's no way he'd meet Bevo's GPS standards for the turnover game.
Otherwise we'd have kept our old mate JT.

Mofra
20-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Tore Sweet apart late last year at VFL level

EasternWest
20-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Tore Sweet apart late last year at VFL level

That's not really a great metric to recruit him off though is it?

soupman
20-10-2021, 10:54 AM
I liked Campbell but he was an almost player.

Would've been decent if he was a better mark, so often two grabbed it when he got his hands to it. If he had managed to fix that he would've been much more effective.

SquirrelGrip
20-10-2021, 11:17 AM

Would've been decent if he was a better mark, so often two grabbed it when he got his hands to it. If he had managed to fix that he would've been much more effective.

I'd rather get Will Minson back.

soupman
20-10-2021, 11:47 AM

I just miss Minson flailing his arms like a turtle on its back every time he ended up on top of someone.

bornadog
20-10-2021, 12:31 PM

Ruck coach

Axe Man
20-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Ruck coach

Seems he left North after last season. He is doing some sort of management consultancy now. His LinkedIn looks like he can't decide what he wants to do.

Mofra
20-10-2021, 02:00 PM
That's not really a great metric to recruit him off though is it?
Some people seem to rate Sweet very highly.
The point is pretty moot though - I don't think we're looking to strengthen our ruck division

comrade
20-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Some people seem to rate Sweet very highly.
The point is pretty moot though - I don't think we're looking to strengthen our ruck division

Apparently Sam Power is one of them.

bornadog
20-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Apparently Sam Power is one of them.

Has he been wrong to date?

Mantis
20-10-2021, 06:26 PM

There’s certainly been questionable list mgt decisions made over the last 3-4 years.

EasternWest
20-10-2021, 06:58 PM

Well I mean we kept Will Hayes.

Grantysghost
20-10-2021, 07:17 PM
Well I mean we kept Will Hayes.

The inside word on the nags is priceless EW.

macca
20-10-2021, 08:10 PM

Campbell could almost be on another list if sainters pick him up.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685334/from-one-roo-ruck-to-another-saints-eye-axed-big-man

Bulldog Joe
20-10-2021, 08:30 PM

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685334/from-one-roo-ruck-to-another-saints-eye-axed-big-man

Ekers gotta eke

G-Mo77
20-10-2021, 09:19 PM

Shows how important ruck stocks are and they have some good ones already. I'm comfortable putting more time into Sweet and giving him some fair ample time, I'm not that comfortable having nothing else beyond that.

G-Mo77
20-10-2021, 09:22 PM

He was a very good VFL ruck for us, that's not a backhanded compliment either. He had his issues at AFL level but for Footscray he was brilliant.

jeemak
20-10-2021, 09:24 PM
He was a very good VFL ruck for us, that's not a backhanded compliment either. He had his issues at AFL level but for Footscray he was brilliant.

What do you reckon held him back from being more effective and likely to be in Bevo's favour at senior level?

That's not a rhetorical question, rather, as I don't watch a lot of VFL footy I sometimes only have what I see at AFL level to go by.

soupman
20-10-2021, 09:37 PM
What do you reckon held him back from being more effective and likely to be in Bevo's favour at senior level?

I would suggest his immobility, he didn't cover the ground very smoothly. And his marking was frustrating, he'd often be in good spots but would double grab it or just drop it, even when he got his hands to it first and sometimes even if there was no real competition. This meant he was not super useful as an intercept marking option and he was too cumbersome to contribute much forward.

Grantysghost
20-10-2021, 10:00 PM

That's not a rhetorical question, rather, as I don't watch a lot of VFL footy I sometimes only have what I see at AFL level to go by.

3 Lettuce.

Gee

Pee

S.

macca
20-10-2021, 10:16 PM

I remember one highlight where he kicked 50m setshot goal after the siren. IT was awesome.

jeemak
20-10-2021, 11:30 PM
I would suggest his immobility, he didn't cover the ground very smoothly. And his marking was frustrating, he'd often be in good spots but would double grab it or just drop it, even when he got his hands to it first and sometimes even if there was no real competition. This meant he was not super useful as an intercept marking option and he was too cumbersome to contribute much forward.

I didn't ask you though, did I Soup?

But I'll let it slide this once, given I like you and probably agree. But I guess the reason why I asked G-M was because he didn't see these issues at the lower level or at least saw them covered over.

jeemak
20-10-2021, 11:32 PM
3 Lettuce.

Gee

Pee

S.

Poor. I mean the effort wasn't even there because I know how easily it would have come to you.

westdog54
29-10-2021, 01:03 PM
North have delisted Jarad Polec with the intent of selecting him in the rookie draft.

That's a massive fall from the deal he signed.

GVGjr
29-10-2021, 01:12 PM
North have delisted Jarad Polec with the intent of selecting him in the rookie draft.

That's a massive fall from the deal he signed.

He wasn't a bad player and you have to wonder why things went so bad.
He's still got a big contract hasn't he like around 700K a season.

EasternWest
29-10-2021, 01:24 PM

Correction: he was a skillful player that only ran one way and refused to go when it was his turn.

He's the exact player type I hate the most.

Axe Man
29-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Mumford has retired........again.

Hotdog60
29-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Taylor gets delisted after beating the Bont in 2014 by one vote career comparisons are miles apart.

Axe Man
29-10-2021, 06:38 PM
Taylor gets delisted after beating the Bont in 2014 by one vote career comparisons are miles apart.

They are going to rookie list him but it's quite the decline. I mean everyone knew in 2014 Bont would be the far better player but it's surprising Taylor seems to have regressed so far.

macca
30-10-2021, 03:53 AM
They are going to rookie list him but it's quite the decline. I mean everyone knew in 2014 Bont would be the far better player but it's surprising Taylor seems to have regressed so far.

There is a few players ahead of Taylor now , in Papley, And even Ronke if he can get back on the park

Bonts was robbed of the award , but not surprised . Aefl stealing another award from a doggie great . Maybe in the long run it did Bont well as not so much expectation on him

They had to give it to Taylor to give Brisbane hope at the time .

Bulldog Revolution
30-10-2021, 11:48 PM
Correction: he was a skillful player that only ran one way and refused to go when it was his turn.

He's the exact player type I hate the most.

I think that’s a bit unfair

He is absolutely an outside player but at his best he ran hard, took the game on and went in when it was his turn - but his primary job was to get the ball and run and kick long

EasternWest
31-10-2021, 10:23 AM
I think that’s a bit unfair

He is absolutely an outside player but at his best he ran hard, took the game on and went in when it was his turn - but his primary job was to get the ball and run and kick long

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I agree his job was to run and kick long, buy that doesn't excuse his abdication in other areas.

Hell, even Josh Schache has started to go when it's his turn.

G-Mo77
31-10-2021, 01:51 PM

North were desperate to land someone that year. Everyone else they targeted signed with their clubs or went elsewhere, Polec was the next best thing. At a guess his deal was probably heavily front ended.

soupman
15-11-2021, 06:53 PM
The Greenwood debacle is pretty woeful from a GC perspective.

Had to delist him with a view to redrafting him so that they could use the required 3 draft picks. He even made a very public post about how it wasn't a big deal and he was very cool with it. Two days later it's announced he's gonna sign with North.

Lose one of their better players (and few good senior ones) for nothing over trying to exploit a list strategy loophole.

Grantysghost
15-11-2021, 07:19 PM

Had to delist him with a view to redrafting him so that they could use the required 3 draft picks. He even made a very public post about how it wasn't a big deal and he was very cool with it. Two days later it's announced he's gonna sign with North.

Lose one of their better players (and few good senior ones) for nothing over trying to exploit a list strategy loophole.
I would go as far as to say the biggest list management stuff up I’ve seen for a very long time. They needed a hard body to protect their young mids, now he’s walked to the opposition due to their list management incompetence.

Do we need this team?

GVGjr
15-11-2021, 07:30 PM

An exceptionally poor decision and adds to loss of Lyon and Martin in recent years for not much.
Burns and Cameron should have a bit of explaining to do.

Grantysghost
15-11-2021, 07:46 PM
An exceptionally poor decision and adds to loss of Lyon and Martin in recent years for not much.
Burns and Cameron should have a bit of explaining to do.

If we aren’t all over Rowell we should be. Seeya Dunks!

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2021, 08:25 PM
Fold GC.

They are absolutely useless.

azabob
16-11-2021, 08:10 AM
I would go as far as to say the biggest list management stuff up I’ve seen for a very long time. They needed a hard body to protect their young mids, now he’s walked to the opposition due to their list management incompetence.

Do we need this team?

Biggest since Jarrod Lyons perhaps?

GVGjr
16-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Biggest since Jarrod Lyons perhaps?

And they got nothing for Martin as well.

Mofra
16-11-2021, 10:03 AM

It's a weird one - why not use Darcy McPherson instead who was shopped around but had no takers? Far less risky.

The Doctor
16-11-2021, 11:06 AM
I think the spotlight of scrutiny should be on former AFL wonder boy Mark Evans.

Almost 5 years in the job at Gold Coast and they are still a rabble. How can this Greenwood fiasco be allowed to happen? In the trade period they were looking to off load McPherson & pick 19 for sweet FA just for salary cap relief. They are a laughing stock.

The Underdog
16-11-2021, 11:10 AM
I think the spotlight of scrutiny should be on former AFL wonder boy Mark Evans.

Almost 5 years in the job at Gold Coast and they are still a rabble. How can this Greenwood fiasco be allowed to happen? In the trade period they were looking to off load McPherson & pick 19 for sweet FA just for salary cap relief. They are a laughing stock.

It’s interesting, I mean, it’s not like they have a bunch of newbs making these decisions. They’ve put in a group of experienced operators and the stuff ups are getting worse. I’m not sure Greenwood is completely blameless here, although it does have the appearance that maybe GC found a fairly ingenious way to shed salary cap if that’s what they were really aiming for.

azabob
16-11-2021, 11:21 AM
It’s interesting, I mean, it’s not like they have a bunch of newbs making these decisions. They’ve put in a group of experienced operators and the stuff ups are getting worse. I’m not sure Greenwood is completely blameless here, although it does have the appearance that maybe GC found a fairly ingenious way to shed salary cap if that’s what they were really aiming for.

No he is not. But you can't blame him either. More money, longer contract seems a no brainer.

Mofra
16-11-2021, 11:40 AM
No he is not. But you can't blame him either. More money, longer contract seems a no brainer.
IIRC a similar scenario happened in his NBL days as well.

azabob
16-11-2021, 01:39 PM
IIRC a similar scenario happened in his NBL days as well.

Interesting, not across that detail. But if you believe media reports coming out it was his wife that started the ball rolling!

comrade
16-11-2021, 02:09 PM
How did it play out? Greenwood’s agent went to North and told them what was up and encouraged them to make an offer? If so, pretty dirty on Greenwood’s behalf, though GC are so incompetent they don’t deserve any sympathy.

Hope it blows up in all their faces.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-11-2021, 02:28 PM
Interesting, not across that detail. But if you believe media reports coming out it was his wife that started the ball rolling!

I thought it meant Noble's wife was the one who told him of Greenwood's availability, from her seeing it on afl.com.au

azabob
16-11-2021, 03:22 PM
I thought it meant Noble's wife was the one who told him of Greenwood's availability, from her seeing it on afl.com.au

Ah, ok. Just as odd, either way.

Mofra
16-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Let's not forget Gold Coast lost Jarrad Lyons for nothing, and Martin walked to the PSD. This just a couple of weeks after shopping around Darcy McPherson to no takers. Rabble.

boydogs
17-11-2021, 02:08 AM
Weird comment by Wayne Campbell that North found a loophole. You delisted the guy, strange attempt at deflection and coverup

https://www.zerohanger.com/noble-suns-gm-react-to-greenwood-backflip-94399/

Mofra
17-11-2021, 09:27 AM
They found the stunning loophole of signing the no 1 tackling player in the competition last year for nothing after Gold Coast stupidly delisted him?

Next up: my loophole of having a shower to smell better.

The Adelaide Connection
17-11-2021, 01:05 PM
They found the stunning loophole of signing the no 1 tackling player in the competition last year for nothing after Gold Coast stupidly delisted him?

Next up: my loophole of having a shower to smell better.

To be fair, EVERY club uses this tactic to get around draft rules. We certainly have. The mistake they made was that they didn't do it with a player that is playing seconds and a fair way off, they did it with an established player that would be a valuable 'now' asset to a number of teams.

The second mistake they made was that they obviously trusted him. He was across the details of the delist/redraft and had ticked it off, but then burned them when another offer came in. Money, length of deal, yada, yada- I understand all of that. He burnt them badly. He supposedly didn't give GC a right of reply to match it or whatever, just took the deal and ran.

Remember the furore here when Ryan Griffin (transparently and openly) asked to be traded? This, IMO, is much worse.

I can't wait till GC play NM- I don't think Stuart Dew would take this kind of backstabbing lightly, nor should the GC players. I think Dew will just write "Kill Hugh" on his whiteboard.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-11-2021, 01:31 PM
To be fair, EVERY club uses this tactic to get around draft rules. We certainly have. The mistake they made was that they didn't do it with a player that is playing seconds and a fair way off, they did it with an established player that would be a valuable 'now' asset to a number of teams.

For me this is the point though. It's not just a mistake, it's an idiotic decision that emphasizes how much of a rabble this 'club' is.

I put no blame at Greenwood's feet whatsoever. Just because he said he was OK with it (which he was - at the time), it doesn't mean things don't change and they did. North capitalised and came with a better offer, who at their current workplace wouldn't do the same thing?

This is all on GC. They're genuinely useless.

Mofra
17-11-2021, 03:01 PM
That's kind of the point though, they chose one of the worst players on their list they could have chosen.
Let's not forget they lost Jarrad Lyons and Jack Martin for nothing as well. Losing one player is bad luck, losing 3 is gross incompetence. I mean, Martin's pick off by Carlton was unders so you can argue they had to make a stand but Lyons can really play.

bornadog
07-12-2021, 05:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF-0FeTVEAIv84n?format=jpg&name=medium

Mofra
07-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Poor guy. Concussion is a horrible thing