PDA

View Full Version : Valè Ernie Sigley

merantau
16-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Just announced on ABC News 24. Ernie passed away aged 82. The "Little Aussie Battler" never forgot where he came from - FOOTSCRAY.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Big supporter of the Dogs as well.

Condolences to family and friends.

Axe Man
16-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Broadcaster Ernie Sigley dies aged 82 after battling Alzheimer’s disease (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/broadcaster-ernie-sigley-dies-aged-82-after-battling-alzheimers-disease/news-story/0f2aa7f6864d4400465c29dccd58c658)

https://i.postimg.cc/7LFntyxT/ERNIE.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Beloved broadcaster, singer and “little Aussie battler” Ernie Sigley has died.

Sigley, 82, passed away on Sunday with his family, wife Glenys, and four children, Matthew, Guy, David, and Emma, by his side.

Sigley battled Alzheimer’s disease for five years, and had been in residential care for most of that time.

David Sigley, who is a Uniting Church minister, told the ABC last year: “He doesn’t know my name, but the love that me and him have will never go. It’s an important thing to remember and hold on to. One thing that gives me joy is that he gave so many people joy.”

Ernest William Sigley – better known as “Ernie” – was born in Footscray, on September 2, 1938.

In a career spanning six decades, Sigley’s talent and knowledge made him one of Australia’s most accomplished and award-winning entertainers.

A television host, radio presenter and singer, Ernie’s diminutive stature, working-class roots and larrikin laugh often saw him referred to as the “little Aussie battler”.

His entertainment career began in 1952 as a turntable operator at Melbourne radio station 3DB.

Five years later, at the age of 19, he made his television debut hosting Teenage Mailbag on Channel 7 in Melbourne.

Sigley also worked at the BBC and Radio Luxembourg.

In 1964, Sigley travelled to London to interview The Beatles, but missed them by a day. When he caught up with the band in Adelaide, John Lennon sniped: “Hey Paul, this is the bloody idiot that flew all the way from Australia to interview us”.

He hosted the The Ernie Sigley Show from 1974 to 1976, starting a long-term working partnership with performer Denise Drysdale.

But his famous temper resulted in Kerry Packer sacking Sigley from the prime time show. Sigley’s “crime” was making a disparaging remark about cricket.

Later, Sigley and Drysdale co-hosted the variety TV show, In Melbourne Today.

They also had a chart-topping pop hit with the song, Hey Paula.

In a 2019 interview, Drysdale recalled her bittersweet visit to a dear friend.

“When I went to see him I sung the whole of Hey Paula, and he stood there and looked at me and got emotional,” Drysdale told the Starts At 60 website.

“Then he gave me a big hug, so there was some recognition at that stage, but then I sat on the chair and he said, ‘God, you remind me of somebody’.”

Drysdale told the Herald Sun in 2018: “(Sigley) had the most amazing brain. He knew so much about people whether they were an artist, a politician, a sportsman. He could recall the most extraordinary things and he never forgot.”

She also said their chemistry together was a natural fit.

“You can’t manufacture what we had together, we just flourished and he was very generous,” Drysdale said. “As long as they (the audience) were laughing he did not care who got the laugh.”

Sigley returned to radio in 1996, helming 3AW’s top-rating afternoon radio program until his retirement in 2008.

Sigley won 21 Logie Awards, and took home a Gold Logie in 1975. The award was presented to him by one of his idols, John Wayne.

As a son of the west, Sigley was a die-hard supporter of the Western Bulldogs. Sadly, the staunch Footscray fan didn’t attend the Doggies win over the Sydney Swans at the 2016 AFL grand final.

By then, illness had started to take hold.

“While he would love to have been at the MCG to watch his beloved Western Bulldogs make history, Ernie had to settle for the live television broadcast,” his family said.

Ernie and Glenys, nee Glenys O’Brien, a former TV personality, were married for 47 years.

Their son Matthew was a member of Australian indie pop-rock band The Earthmen, and played keyboards for Australian bands The Fauves and Drop City.

On Sunday, Ernie’s family requested privacy, but also referred media to support the fight for a cure for dementia by visiting fightdementia.org.au

ratsmac
16-08-2021, 12:48 PM
RIP Ernie. Hopefully the doggies can get it done for you as you look down cheering them on

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Ernie was a distant relative and a great Bulldogs person who became a Life Member of our Club and generated enormous publicity for the Western Bulldogs. Our condolences go out to his wife, Glenys and family. Until his long illness he regularly attended our games with his daughter.
RIP

Eastdog
16-08-2021, 02:53 PM
RIP Ernie. A big Doggies supporter. I believe he went to Williamstown High school. My mum used to watch his show back in the day.

Thoughts with his family and friends.

Bulldog Revolution
16-08-2021, 03:01 PM
RIP Ernie - a great bulldog supporter

I had a soft spot for him knowing he was a bulldog, and was from the area and had worked his way up - it was also great to see Bulldogs supporters publicly as someone who grew up in an area where there were none.

Grantysghost
16-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Always remember his morning show with Denise. Where Dermott cut his teeth in the media.

Went to school in Spotswood with my mum ! She said he was trouble...

RIP Ernie.

Jeanette54
16-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Went to school in Spotswood with my mum ! She said he was trouble...

RIP Ernie.

Ernie lived next door to my Grandparents when he was a growing up. "They were little buggers them Sigley kids", always said with a smile.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Was the Ernie Sigley who was a WOOF member the real man?

Eastdog
16-08-2021, 07:41 PM
Ernie lived next door to my Grandparents when he was a growing up. "They were little buggers them Sigley kids", always said with a smile.

Just out of interest which street?

GVGjr
16-08-2021, 07:55 PM

No, not at all

Grantysghost
16-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Ah nice. Mum just relayed a story to me that he used to take kids hats off them on the train and throw them out the window ! Sounds like a little terror :)

Was Williamstown not Spotswood the school too.

GVGjr
16-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Ernie was a genuine character and passionate Bulldogs supporter.
I seem to recall that he would make a slightly inappropriate comment and if the guest was in anyway shocked he will follow it up with a "I was only joking" with a giggling laugh.

Met him a couple of times at the Box Hill golf course where he and his wife Glenis would occasionally go to dine. He didn't mind a quick chat about the Bulldogs.

Eastdog
16-08-2021, 08:13 PM
Ah nice. Mum just relayed a story to me that he used to take kids hats off them on the train and throw them out the window ! Sounds like a little terror :)

Was Williamstown not Spotswood the school too.

From the wiki page Willy High.

Grantysghost
16-08-2021, 08:14 PM
That’s the one !

Eastdog
16-08-2021, 08:16 PM
That’s the one !

Will be great hopefully in the summer time to get down to Willy or Altona beach.

Jeanette54
16-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Just out of interest which street?

My folks lived in several (rented) houses over the years, most working people did. Dudley Street, Empress Avenue, Kent Street, but I think it was Somerville Road when living next door to the Sigleys. Their surname was Matthews, Matt and Thelma.

EasternWest
16-08-2021, 08:31 PM

No the real Ernie was nice.

Eastdog
16-08-2021, 08:41 PM
My folks lived in several (rented) houses over the years, most working people did. Dudley Street, Empress Avenue, Kent Street, but I think it was Somerville Road when living next door to the Sigleys. Their surname was Matthews, Matt and Thelma.

In Kingsville/Yarraville area.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 11:00 PM
No the real Ernie was nice.

Careful he is a mate, and he actually is nice guy.

KT31
16-08-2021, 11:23 PM
Vale Ernie, from early childhood memories, there was a time he was our highest profile supporter.
Once at a Melbourne Home Show, myself and my two pups (around 4 and 6 at the time) watched as Ernie was broadcasting a radio show.
Both pups in Doggies jumpers and blonde hair, Ernie whilst live on air yelled out in excitement at the two little Scotty West’s watching him.During a break he came out and said hello and chatted about the Dogs with myself and the boys.
Great bloke, entertainer and supporters.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-08-2021, 11:39 PM
The Sigley home was in Summerhill Road West Footscray surrounded by the well known Powell family who were related to Ernie and the Guy family. Bert Guy was a very successful cricketer who played with Footscray and then became a Sheffield Shield Umpire. The Sigley home was located close to Barkly Street, a short walk to the Footscray ground.

bornadog
16-08-2021, 11:39 PM

I grew up in Wales st (first 4 years), a couple of streets up from Empress. we had relatives in Empress Av.

EasternWest
17-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Careful he is a mate, and he actually is nice guy.

When people are anonymous on the internet they often say the quiet part out loud.

Jeanette54
17-08-2021, 02:04 PM
The Sigley home was in Summerhill Road West Footscray surrounded by the well known Powell family who were related to Ernie and the Guy family. Bert Guy was a very successful cricketer who played with Footscray and then became a Sheffield Shield Umpire. The Sigley home was located close to Barkly Street, a short walk to the Footscray ground.

You are right NBP, it was Summerhill, not Somerville.... my memory needed jogging.

Twodogs
19-08-2021, 08:57 PM
When people are anonymous on the internet they often say the quiet part out loud.

While he can be as real idiot online* IRL he is the nicest guy in the world. I still play European handball and indoor soccer with him.

*But he's not the only one who is

Twodogs
19-08-2021, 09:02 PM

Willy high is the oldest government school in Victoria.

Twodogs
19-08-2021, 09:04 PM

I went to primary school in Somerville Rd at Kingsville primary.

Axe Man
20-08-2021, 10:22 AM
I went to primary school in Somerville Rd at Kingsville primary.

And it was the best 15 years of your life? ;)