PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 1

Pages : [1] 2 3

GVGjr
20-08-2021, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 23 match against POrt for our first week of the finals (Day, Time, Location and opponent To Be Confirmed) ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2021, 11:48 PM
No change is what will happen….

We can win, but probably won’t.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2021, 11:54 PM
It’s deck chairs, titanic stuff.

I’m doing my changes even though they won’t happen.

In: Schache, Martin/Sweet, Marra, Richards, Wallis, Gardner

Out: Cordy, Wood, JJ, Smith, VDM, Young

DOG GOD
21-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Who would know but I could see only 1 change.
In- Richards
Out- vanders

Cordy, wood, hannan, JJ and B. Smith will all be in the ✈️ To Adelaide.

dog town
21-08-2021, 12:10 AM
I reckon we will bring Martin in. Draper isn’t an aerobic beast and we found something with Young tonight to give us versatility beyond English.

May not happen but I would bring Gardner in for Cordy he is just getting hit up on too often. Even aerial balls he just doesn’t make body contact.

dog town
21-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Wouldn’t mind Richards as a half back option. Daniel was exceptional tonight but I felt we missed his clean hands as an option around the ball at times.

Bullies
We need Schache up forward. He would have some confidence after playing down back. Richards in for Wood. Maybe Gardner for Cordy to play on Wright.

I have a feeling though we are cooked. So many guys are either under done or over done.

In : Schache, Richards
Out: Vanders, Wood

Mantis
Wouldn’t mind Richards as a half back option. Daniel was exceptional tonight but I felt we missed his clean hands as an option around the ball at times.

He has to play instead of Wood… just has to.

comrade
21-08-2021, 12:14 AM
I mean, if Bevo is serious, Wood can’t play. That’s just a given. If he’s picked, there is absolutely no selection integrity and it’s a piss take to think other wise.

Sedat
21-08-2021, 12:17 AM
May not happen but I would bring Gardner in for Cordy he is just getting hit up on too often. Even aerial balls he just doesn’t make body contact.
Can we go back to the future with Cordy and move him forward? He is struggling badly down back and we desperately need some aerial aggression up forward.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 12:18 AM
He has to play instead of Wood… just has to.

As bad as Easton was tonight, he will still be in the side next week.

DOG GOD
21-08-2021, 12:21 AM
Agree. They won’t drop wood, cordy or JJ this late in the game.

Testekill
21-08-2021, 12:21 AM
Out: Cordy, Vandermeer, Wood, Young, JJ

In: Gardner, Wallis, Schache, Martin/Sweet, Richards

Mantis
21-08-2021, 12:23 AM
Can we go back to the future with Cordy and move him forward? He is struggling badly down back and we desperately need some aerial aggression up forward.

Cordy can’t get to a contest… his movement is like that of the slowest moving thing on this planet.

But he’s a favourite so he plays when he likes.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 12:24 AM
I mean, if Bevo is serious, Wood can’t play. That’s just a given. If he’s picked, there is absolutely no selection integrity and it’s a piss take to think other wise.

I can’t say selection integrity has been an absolute constant this year. Sure some weeks, others made no sense.

I asked during the week why the club ignored the ‘1 Year if over 30’ rule last yea4 with Wood. I wonder whether Wood has done enough of the cours3 of this year that if the club did stick with the rule, whether Woods last game this year would be his farewell game?

Mantis
21-08-2021, 12:25 AM

Are you ok with that?

Bullies
21-08-2021, 12:32 AM
He has to play instead of Wood… just has to. Time waits for no one and he was embarrassing tonight was Wood. He doesn't even look like taking a mark or killing it in the contest which he was so good at. 2016 we were happy to see him one on one or coming over the top. He just seems to take forever to get rid of the ball and can't read it like he used to.

Ozza
21-08-2021, 12:39 AM
Leave me out of VDM at the moment. Why we looked to rush him in was a surprise to start with - off a praccy only - we rushed him straight back in like he is a gun.

Would drop Wood.

Must do something about the ruck. So disappointing to go into a game and lose because of what we already know. I actually don't have a problem with Young's level of effort tonight - which was better than usual - but as the game wears on, we just become a joke in the centre bounce, and Bevo's disregard for it is pretty hard to take. If Young was ONLY going to play as a ruckman tonight - and you don't pick Sweet instead, then you're not fair dinkum.
If we were playing Young to give us the flexibility to have him go forward or back - then, while I don't agree with it, I can at least understand the theory.

divvydan
21-08-2021, 01:01 AM
From Jon Ralph on twitter

Stef Martin will play about 90 minutes tomorrow. Scratch match v Sydney. Schache/Gardner/Ugle-Hagan:Lipinksi/Wallis involved.

Might give enough conditioning for Stef to come in?

Sedat
21-08-2021, 01:13 AM
Cordy can’t get to a contest… his movement is like that of the slowest moving thing on this planet.

But he’s a favourite so he plays when he likes.
Yeah I know. But he won't be dropped so am trying to find a position where might be able to play instinctively and provide something positive. Failing that, he could accidentally knee someone really important in the head in a marking contest every week for the next month.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 08:43 AM
From Jon Ralph on twitter

Might give enough conditioning for Stef to come in?

Rohan Smith was interviewed before the game and mentioned it.

Danjul
21-08-2021, 11:21 AM
I can’t see how Essendon can beat us.

They only won last time because they had a player who could kick 50m goals and we had 4 players who could kick 20m behinds. The odds of that happening again are vanishingly small.

And we must have learned something about how to select a balanced team.

I expect a 5 goal win, and that will cheer me up for the next week.

Danjul
21-08-2021, 11:29 AM
Yeah I know. But he won't be dropped so am trying to find a position where might be able to play instinctively and provide something positive. Failing that, he could accidentally knee someone really important in the head in a marking contest every week for the next month.
Unfortunately Hannan was playing in Cordy’s natural position, and Cordy was in Young’s natural position and Young was in Sweet’s position etc

Vred
21-08-2021, 11:31 AM
OUT:
JJ
Wood
VDM
Cordy
Hannan
Roake

IN:
Martin / Sweet, one or the other
Gardner
JUH
Scott
McNeil
Richards

Maintain 3 talls up forward
Maintain 3 talls down back (Young to play KPD / Ruck)
Plenty of zip with Cody, Scott, McNeil
Richards rebounding off half back, where he should be.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 11:33 AM
Looks good Vred… I think Hannan can stay in for Scott though. Sure he’s frustrating, but at least he has some forward instincts.

edit - I’d keep Roarke in too.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 11:34 AM
I’d also keep Roarke in. Thought he was one of our best and at least went hard at each contest.

Vred
21-08-2021, 11:36 AM
I’d also keep Roarke in. Thought he was one of our best and at least went hard at each contest.

I’ll agree here, he was actually good, dropping him would be a difficult choice as he was one of our best on last night,.

Would I drop Baz for Scott/McNeil? Yes

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 11:37 AM
I’ll agree here, he was actually good, dropping him would be a difficult choice as he was one of our best on last night,.

Would I drop Baz for Scott/McNeil? Yes

I’m at the point where dropping Baz is almost a must. I’m not seeing any value he’s providing. In fact, he’s making us worse with his deplorable skills and ability to man up.

Vred
21-08-2021, 11:40 AM
I’m at the point where dropping Baz is almost a must. I’m not seeing any value he’s providing. In fact, he’s making us worse with his deplorable skills and ability to man up.

yeah, I’d like to think that being dropped from a final is as sobering experience as an AFL player as it gets.

God knows he needs it.

DOG GOD
21-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Problem is, if the MC were legit, Baz would’ve been dropped 5-6 weeks ago to get a wake up call.
Wallis, Lippa, West, Schache etc must really shake their heads when the teams get announced most weeks.

For instance, Lippa and West would’ve done no worse than Dunkley and Treloar last night. At least they would’ve been match fit.

Vred
21-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Problem is, if the MC were legit, Baz would’ve been dropped 5-6 weeks ago to get a wake up call.
Wallis, Lippa, West, Schache etc must really shake their heads when the teams get announced most weeks.

For instance, Lippa and West would’ve done no worse than Dunkley and Treloar last night. At least they would’ve been match fit.

Id almost make a case for Lippa to come in, his kicking is very good and we could of bloody used it last night.

all goes back to our tall structure for me, 3 talls down back and 3 talls up forward, 2 rotating rucks, build around that, no matter how underdone some players might be.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Id almost make a case for Lippa to come in, his kicking is very good and we could of bloody used it last night.

I get why Lippa isn’t playing. If you go back and watch the losses against Richmond and Melbourne you’ll see him make some crucial errors which cost us a chance of victory.

What I don’t get is why other players within the team make the same errors every week and their position is never questioned… it’s not a level playing field and that isn’t fair.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 12:03 PM
We lost the Stoppage clearances by 7 and centre clearances were even. We need to address this urgently as Libba was tagged out of the game and Bont spent too much time in the forward half.

We also can't have Wood playing on tall players, those days are gone.

Doc26
21-08-2021, 12:25 PM
We lost the Stoppage clearances by 7 and centre clearances were even. We need to address this urgently as Libba was tagged out of the game and Bont spent too much time in the forward half.

Bevo seems to discount in his pressers our constant negative hit out differentials, not placing much if any value in it, and deferring to the stoppage clearances count as the measure that counts (this count has now dropped off).

Whilst I can appreciate the argument to a point, when we’re talking a 51 to 18 hit out differential (against Lycett with a very dodgy leg and who was most doubtful of playing given he was subbed out last week) what toll is this placing on our midfielders each and every week to even or better the clearance ledger. Must be exhausting, and it’s showing.

For those few weeks that we did have Stef Martin it gave us ascendency at the stoppages that we’re simply not seeing at this time of the season.

Unfortunately by not having an effective ruckman on our list (who is not ageing nor readily available) has set this scene.

Finding one in the post season must be our number one priority given the midfield that we have and are squandering as a result.

Danjul
21-08-2021, 12:52 PM
he was

For those few weeks that we did have Stef Martin it gave us ascendency at the stoppages that weÂ’re simply not seeing at this time of the season.

Unfortunately by not having an effective ruckman on our list (who is not ageing nor readily available) has set this scene.

MartinÂ’s first four games:
disposals - 10, 10, 13, 15. = 48
hitouts - 9, 12, 15, 30 = 66

SweetÂ’s first four games:
disposals - 8, 9, 9, 14 = 40
hitouts - 16, 17, 18, 31 = 82

I canÂ’t see how an injured Martin keeps the focus and shadows an available beginner who could have been developed further (and probably kept the double chance).

Doc26
21-08-2021, 01:31 PM
MartinÂ’s first four games:
disposals - 10, 10, 13, 15. = 48
hitouts - 9, 12, 15, 30 = 66

SweetÂ’s first four games:
disposals - 8, 9, 9, 14 = 40
hitouts - 16, 17, 18, 31 = 82

I canÂ’t see how an injured Martin keeps the focus and shadows an available beginner who could have been developed further (and probably kept the double chance).

But at this time is Sweet a ruckman that we should be relying on to match it with the oppositions ruck stocks if we want to be a realistic contender? Sure Jordan’s at a very different juncture in his career to Stef Martin but if you’re putting forward Jordan’s hit out stats for his games played this season there is still a substantial negative differential from the 4 games that he did play where he was up against a recognised ruckman. This differential being -92. 185 to them 93 to us (removing the GC game given they had no ruckman that day).

My point being that we shouldn’t be relying on Martin or Sweet where they’re at in the career if we are realistic in matching it with the opposition’s midfield. And English is not a ruckman.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 01:57 PM

So should that role fall to Williams or do we bring in a genuine 3rd tall defender?

Danjul
21-08-2021, 03:39 PM
But at this time is Sweet a ruckman that we should be relying on to match it with the oppositions ruck stocks if we want to be a realistic contender? Sure Jordan’s at a very different juncture in his career to Stef Martin but if you’re putting forward Jordan’s hit out stats for his games played this season there is still a substantial negative differential from the 4 games that he did play where he was up against a recognised ruckman. This differential being -92. 185 to them 93 to us (removing the GC game given they had no ruckman that day).

My point being that we shouldn’t be relying on Martin or Sweet where they’re at in the career if we are realistic in matching it with the opposition’s midfield. And English is not a ruckman.

We lost 50% of the last 10 games after discarding Sweet as an option. And we only needed 1 additional win.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 03:42 PM
So should that role fall to Williams or do we bring in a genuine 3rd tall defender?

I think you have asked this before, and I said depending on the opposition, if we need a third tall, we bring one in. (if we have one)

bornadog
21-08-2021, 03:43 PM
We lost 50% of the last 10 games after discarding Sweet as an option. And we only needed 1 additional win.

At this stage of Sweets development, he gives us nothing around the ground, and he is still learning about tap work

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Bevo seems to discount in his pressers our constant negative hit out differentials, not placing much if any value in it, and deferring to the stoppage clearances count as the measure that counts (this count has now dropped off).

Whilst I can appreciate the argument to a point, when we’re talking a 51 to 18 hit out differential (against Lycett with a very dodgy leg and who was most doubtful of playing given he was subbed out last week) what toll is this placing on our midfielders each and every week to even or better the clearance ledger. Must be exhausting, and it’s showing.

For those few weeks that we did have Stef Martin it gave us ascendency at the stoppages that we’re simply not seeing at this time of the season.

Finding one in the post season must be our number one priority given the midfield that we have and are squandering as a result.

Martin’s body strength at the hitouts clearly makes him a better option than English whose collision with Naughton some weeks ago has seen him struggle since. I am at a loss if Martin was available in such an important game as yesterday that he should be left to play in the VFL. As was shown Lycett became a key influence in Port’s win. Playing Martin yesterday in the AFL would have been far better conditioning for next week’s final.

Vred
21-08-2021, 04:12 PM
At this stage of Sweets development, he gives us nothing around the ground, and he is still learning about tap work

I actually think it's our biggest coaching screw up this year.

The second Martin went down we should of maintained the structure we were running in the first 8 games of the season and replaced Martin with Sweet. Yes, Sweet is raw, yes, Sweet has no games under his belt, YES, he got toweled up by Gawn, arguably the best Ruck in the competition, but after playing an entire season as number 1 Ruck would he and the team as a whole been better of for it? Absolutely.

Now heading into finals we would of had a Ruck with atleast 18 games under his belt, a structure that was somewhat settled in the forward half, and NO Bont/Macrae/Hannan having to take ruck contests.

Instead we're now playing Young as a number 1 ruck..

It has been, for me, our biggest screw up this entire season, was not playing Sweet, can't develop someone when they're not getting games.

Jam Donuts
21-08-2021, 04:21 PM
In: Clarkson
out: All coaches, start again

G-Mo77
21-08-2021, 04:30 PM

How do we know that? Because of 5 games this year? We've had every opportunity to play him more with Martin down instead we do this garbage and play someone who has never played there before and play mids to help out. It's embarrassing.

The sad thing is we were screaming out for a KPD when everyone went down and Lewis Young a KPD was not even given an opportunity. He then gets the #1 ruck role. Like I said embarrassing.

DOG GOD
21-08-2021, 04:39 PM
How do we know that? Because of 5 games this year? We've had every opportunity to play him more with Martin down instead we do this garbage and play someone who has never played there before and play mids to help out. It's embarrassing.

The sad thing is we were screaming out for a KPD when everyone went down and Lewis Young a KPD was not even given an opportunity. He then gets the #1 ruck role. Like I said embarrassing.

Absolutely. We had the ideal team balance and structure before Martin got injured. We were the envy with our 3 headed monster. I know injuries was a problem but we had more changes after winning games than losing games. Makes no sense. Sweet definitely should’ve been given more opportunity to allow the fwds to gel more. Give more confidence to English as well. Also, McNeil and Scott were preferred to guys like JJ coz they played more a team role. That’s gone out the door. McNeil just fell off the face of the earth.
Even when Bruce went down, the ideal opportunity to bring Wallis in and at least have that competitive guy who’s a good mark/good kick but nope we persist with Hannan who literally shows nothing. Wallis at least looks dangerous fwd at times.

Hotdog60
21-08-2021, 04:39 PM
I've said this in a prior post and I agree above we should have persevered with Sweet until Martin was ready and got games into Sweet.
As for Sweet offering nothing around the ground in the few games that Martin has play has he done much more. All Sweet needs to do is half the contest and gain experience and hopefully we gain by that.
Also with the on / off nature of the VFL he hasn't had much of chance to get more games under his belt and a two ruck plan was working and we should have stuck with it as in hind sight could it have gone any worse.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 04:59 PM
I've said this in a prior post and I agree above we should have persevered with Sweet until Martin was ready and got games into Sweet.
As for Sweet offering nothing around the ground in the few games that Martin has play has he done much more. All Sweet needs to do is half the contest and gain experience and hopefully we gain by that.
Also with the on / off nature of the VFL he hasn't had much of chance to get more games under his belt and a two ruck plan was working and we should have stuck with it as in hind sight could it have gone any worse.

The reason Sweet got dropped was he had 3 disposals, one mark and 17 hitouts in in his last game.

Since then he hasn't starred in the VFL. Agree we could have brought him back in to try again, but he is not ready. At least with young he can play a variety of roles.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 05:12 PM
I think you have asked this before, and I said depending on the opposition, if we need a third tall, we bring one in. (if we have one)

Yes, to the same observation and I can't recall if you think it should be Williams defaulting to the 3rd tall defenders role instead of Wood?

Vred
21-08-2021, 05:19 PM
The reason Sweet got dropped was he had 3 disposals, one mark and 17 hitouts in in his last game.

Since then he hasn't starred in the VFL. Agree we could have brought him back in to try again, but he is not ready. At least with young he can play a variety of roles.

The entire team vs Melbourne was crap, why Sweet gets signaled out is beyond me. Gawn is by far the best ruck in the comp, he was gonna do that to 90% of the rucks in the competition. I just wish the MC kept that rule for everybody, because if that was the case Mr. 6 touch JJ or 3 Touch Hannan would of been dropped games ago.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Yes, to the same observation and I can't recall if you think it should be Williams defaulting to the 3rd tall defenders role instead of Wood?

Not Wood, and I don't think Williams can always play that role, depending on the opposition. If it is a very tall player then we need Keath, Gardner, Cordy

bornadog
21-08-2021, 05:24 PM
The entire team vs Melbourne was crap, why Sweet gets signaled out is beyond me. Gawn is by far the best ruck in the comp, he was gonna do that to 90% of the rucks in the competition. I just wish the MC kept that rule for everybody, because if that was the case Mr. 6 touch JJ or 3 Touch Hannan would of been dropped games ago.

JJ and Hannan also apply pressure and tackle players. 3 Disposals and do nothing else is not what we should be looking for.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Not Wood, and I don't think Williams can always play that role, depending on the opposition. If it is a very tall player then we need Keath, Gardner, Cordy

And when that occurs I think it should be Wood moving aside as Williams, Dale and Duryea are to me clearly better players.

The thing is though that Bevo keeps throwing Wood those challenges.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-08-2021, 06:00 PM
JJ and Hannan also apply pressure and tackle players. 3 Disposals and do nothing else is not what we should be looking for.

Not really accurate. Hannan is ok, maybe, but not really.

JJ's last 6 weeks:

Hannan's last 6 weeks:
missed v Essendon
missed v GC

Neither get much of the ball and both combined for 9 goals in that time. Hardly 'keep me in the team' numbers.

** Stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say Hannan and JJ are deserving of their spot in the team **

bornadog
21-08-2021, 06:04 PM
Not really accurate. Hannan is ok, maybe, but not really.

JJ's last 6 weeks:

Hannan's last 6 weeks:
missed v Essendon
missed v GC

Neither get much of the ball and both combined for 9 goals in that time. Hardly 'keep me in the team' numbers.

** Stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say Hannan and JJ are deserving of their spot in the team **

I am not saying that, I was illustrating they do more around the ground than a Sweet.

G-Mo77
21-08-2021, 06:46 PM
I am not saying that, I was illustrating they do more around the ground than a Sweet.

They'd want to, Sweet is a rookie ruckman who gets dropped because he got toweled up by the best ruck in the comp. So many others get a free pass under the Beveridge.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 06:58 PM
They'd want to, Sweet is a rookie ruckman who gets dropped because he got toweled up by the best ruck in the comp. So many others get a free pass under the Beveridge.

Ok, conversation going a different way now.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Would it be worth trying Dale as a forward to see if he can provide some spark for us?
I know he's in All-Australian type form there but we need some more scoring avenues.
I'd be tempted to play Schache up forward as well.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 07:08 PM
Would it be worth trying Dale as a forward to see if he can provide some spark for us?
I know he's in All-Australian type form there but we need some more scoring avenues.

No & no (less no).

We need more run from defence, not less.

Schache has proven he struggles to compete physically when forward, but might be able to play the 3rd tall role ok, but not sure we go clutching at straws here.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 08:28 PM
No & no (less no).

We need more run from defence, not less.

Schache has proven he struggles to compete physically when forward, but might be able to play the 3rd tall role ok, but not sure we go clutching at straws here.

I don't know how we can add more run to the back line if we are going to play Wood and Cordy and I can't see them being dropped.
Adding Richards might be worth considering and we know Dale has the ability to kick some goals.
With Keath back, Schache would be a long shot for a spot next week.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 08:30 PM
I don't know how we can add more run to the back line if we are going to play Wood and Cordy and I can't see them being dropped.
Adding Richards might be worth considering and we know Dale has the ability to kick some goals.
With Keath back, Schache would be a long shot for a spot next week.

Wood needs to get dropped on last nights performance… he was deplorable. Richards needs to replace him to give us more run & carry.

comrade
21-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Just play Jamarra, get a big game into him and something to build on for next year. We’re not doing any damage any way, focus on the future.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Just play Jamarra, get a big game into him and something to build on for next year. We’re not doing any damage any way, focus on the future.

Bevo basically said he won’t last night. But I agree 100%, get games into Garcia, Marra, Cody and Schache as a defender under pressure with Keath. The game should have a silver lining.

Scraggers
21-08-2021, 08:35 PM
So fifth it is …

Danjul
21-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Actually we only needed an additional goal.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Actually we only needed an additional goal.

Essendon match was the one when we had 20 marks inside 50 and missed 5 to 6 set shots.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

divvydan
21-08-2021, 08:58 PM
Anyone else want to bring in every player that won't be on the list next year and tell them to take out one Ess player each?

angelopetraglia
21-08-2021, 09:32 PM
Essendon match was the one when we had 20 marks inside 50 and missed 5 to 6 set shots.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

It was comical how many easy goals we missed in that game.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 09:44 PM
It was comical how many easy goals we missed in that game.

But if we just had have played Jordan Sweet it would have been all good.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 09:48 PM
I think we just go for broke and bring in Martin and have Lewis as the sub. If Martin breaks down then so be it, and I think Lewis is a bit more versatile than Schache.

To me Richards offers more than VDM, so I make that change.

In - Martin, Richards
Out - Young, VDM

Grantysghost
21-08-2021, 09:51 PM
Wrong thread deleted.

Danjul
21-08-2021, 09:52 PM
But if we just had have played Jordan Sweet it would have been all good.
I must agree with you. We lost 50% of the last 10 games. All we needed was 1 extra goal in that time. A repeat of any one of his first four games would have done it. Let’s say the St Kilda one.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 10:13 PM
I think we just go for broke and bring in Martin and have Lewis as the sub. If Martin breaks down then so be it, and I think Lewis is a bit more versatile than Schache.

To me Richards offers more than VDM, so I make that change.

In - Martin, Richards
Out - Young, VDM

Given Richards had played all of his best footy behind the footy are you selecting him to play in a forward role? Or will he go back and push Daniel into a role upfield?

jeemak
21-08-2021, 10:49 PM
I must agree with you. We lost 50% of the last 10 games. All we needed was 1 extra goal in that time. A repeat of any one of his first four games would have done it. Let’s say the St Kilda one.

Once I watched Mary Poppins at school in grade prep, and right in the seconds before Mary Poppins rocks up and the other nannies got blown away by the wind I actually loudly farted. It was perfectly timed for when the nannies started to fly off and was completely hilarious to all and sundry in my prep class.

Anyway, even then I knew the difference between coincidence and causation.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 10:58 PM
Given Richards had played all of his best footy behind the footy are you selecting him to play in a forward role? Or will he go back and push Daniel into a role upfield?

It's a good question, and I think that'd be what I'd like to see happening. We are clearly struggling for connection forward of centre and I think Daniel can help here.

MrMahatma
21-08-2021, 11:24 PM
In: Martin, Richards, Schache
Out: Cordy, JJ, Wood

Young plays fwd and 2nd ruck. English full time forward.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2021, 11:57 PM
It's a good question, and I think that'd be what I'd like to see happening. We are clearly struggling for connection forward of centre and I think Daniel can help here.

There has been little initiative shown by the MC in the past few weeks. Richards is a natural defender and Daniel would lift a flagging midfield with his superior disposal. I wouldn’t be against playing Duryea at half forward where he played with success at Hawthorn having played in two flags. Dunkley is a strong mark and could hold down CHF with Bruce out. Both JJ and Hannan are very fortunate to be playing on the forward line given their ordinary form. I can not see us advancing with the same forward set up.

Dry Rot
22-08-2021, 12:00 AM
Do we have a chance? Hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yu38kXw7lk

westbulldog
22-08-2021, 12:12 AM
IN
Martin, Richards, Wallis

Out
Cordy, JJ, Wood

(The MC's mantra is however don't change a losing team).

Go_Dogs
22-08-2021, 09:53 AM
B: Williams, Keath, Duryea
HB: Richards, Schache, Dale
C: Daniel, Liberatore, Hunter
HF: Dunkley, Hannan, Treloar
F: English, Naughton, Weightman
R: Young, Bont, Macrae
IC: B Smith, R Smith, VDM, Scott

In: Richards, Schache, Scott
Out: Wood, Cordy, JJ

GVGjr
22-08-2021, 10:05 AM
B: Williams, Keath, Duryea
HB: Richards, Schache, Dale
C: Daniel, Liberatore, Hunter
HF: Dunkley, Hannan, Treloar
F: English, Naughton, Weightman
R: Young, Bont, Macrae
IC: B Smith, R Smith, VDM, Scott

In: Richards, Schache, Scott
Out: Wood, Cordy, JJ

Good team GD. Scott might be my only change

Go_Dogs
22-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Reading the Scratch Match scouting report on the AFL app it appears that Martin, Marra, Schache and Richards all did enough to press claims to come in.

Going to be a 50 page thread again this week.

comrade
22-08-2021, 10:54 AM
One thing must happen and that is Easton Wood can’t play. If he’s selected, it’s a big red flag.

angelopetraglia
22-08-2021, 11:09 AM
One thing must happen and that is Easton Wood can’t play. If he’s selected, it’s a big red flag.

Easton was such a liability. His best footy has always come from a consecutive run of injury free games. He just hasn't had that for sometime. His best asset is his athleticism and intercept marking and we are just not seeing that. Without his one wood (pardon the pun) he other attributes don't justify selection. I would prefer Crozier to Woood at that is saying something.

comrade
22-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Easton was such a liability. His best footy has always come from a consecutive run of injury free games. He just hasn't had that for sometime. His best asset is his athleticism and intercept marking and we are just not seeing that. Without his one wood (pardon the pun) he other attributes don't justify selection. I would prefer Crozier to Woood at that is saying something.

I know one player isn’t the difference in winning and losing, but when you have someone within the defensive group that is just nowhere near the level, it causes disruption and panic that filters through. Unfortunately in footy, you can’t hide someone and if they’re a liability, they can’t be selected.

I’d go with the back 6 that we selected for the Melbourne game, with Richards coming in for Wood and Schache replacing Cordy. The Cordy move won’t happen, the MC have backed themselves into a corner with that but Wood can not play in the first final.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 11:19 AM
I know one player isn’t the difference in winning and losing, but when you have someone within the defensive group that is just nowhere near the level, it causes disruption and panic that filters through. Unfortunately in footy, you can’t hide someone and if they’re a liability, they can’t be selected.

I’d go with the back 6 that we selected for the Melbourne game, with Richards coming in for Wood and Schache replacing Cordy. The Cordy move won’t happen, the MC have backed themselves into a corner with that but Wood can not play in the first final.

Time for Bevo to bite the bullet and put the best players in their best position. No favourites, we have a flag to aim for.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 11:20 AM

Interesting to watch Dale and Williams, normally so sure with foot, put under immense pressure from the likes of Wood and Cordy, causing them to just “get it the hell out of there”.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2021, 11:21 AM
When you look at the injury list we are in a really good space. Only Bruce and McClean would be not available. So I tess as Lou can’t see how Martin, JUH and Richards are not selected.

We need Martin to come back in and ruck. This helps the mids, helps the forwards and the backs.

The forward structure. No doubt that when Martin plays our three headed forward line looks sharp. So we need to play Young in the Josh Bruce role. Then we need JUH comes in. No way can I understand how JJ or Hannan can possibly keep JUH out.

The back line. Again Richards needs to come in for Wood. It’s a balance act down back. Shaq goes back in for Cordy

In Martin, JUH and Richards
Out JJ, Hannan, Cordy and Wood

VDM as Sub

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 11:23 AM
When you look at the injury list we are in a really good space. Only Bruce and McClean would be not available. So I tess as Lou can’t see how Martin, JUH and Richards are not selected.

We need Martin to come back in and ruck. This helps the mids, helps the forwards and the backs.

The forward structure. No doubt that when Martin plays our three headed forward line looks sharp. So we need to play Young in the Josh Bruce role. Then we need JUH comes in. No way can I understand how JJ or Hannan can possibly keep JUH out.

The back line. Again Richards needs to come in for Wood. It’s a balance act down back. Shaq goes back in for Cordy

In Martin, JUH and Richards
Out JJ, Hannan, Cordy and Wood

VDM as Sub

And it really is that simple..good job…but I feel those 4 outs will all be playing.
JJ, Cordy and Wood should’ve been dropped after the Bombers game.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 11:52 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/668568/around-the-state-leagues-injured-dog-returns-power-bull-impresses

STEFAN Martin has given the Western Bulldogs' selection committee plenty to ponder ahead of next week's elimination final after getting through his return match unscathed on Saturday.

Martin clocked more than 90 minutes in a scratch match against Sydney at Whitten Oval – his first game at any level since round 12 due to shoulder and groin injuries.

The 34-year-old was far from dominant early on rotating with Jordon Sweet between ruck and attack but had a greater impact as the match wore on.

Coach Luke Beveridge conceded it would've been premature to select the 34-year-old for Friday's loss (https://www.afl.com.au/news/666895/flat-dogs-face-nervous-wait-as-top-four-hopes-hang-in-the-balance) to Port Adelaide after only one full training session but would consider Martin's finals chances after he had recovered from Saturday's hitout.

Martin was recruited to ruck in tandem with Tim English, who played predominantly as a forward against the Power, leaving Lewis Young to take the stoppages.

Meantime, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan impressed in attack in the Dogs' comfortable win against the Swans and recorded at least six shots on goal.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2021/08/13/da2f4dfa-788c-44c6-bd3d-b2db35902858/TWVsVolR.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at Bulldogs training on August 13, 2021. Picture: Getty Images

Defender Hayden Crozier was taken out of the match early with a head knock for further assessment, while Pat Lipinski didn't take part after waking up Saturday morning feeling unwell.

Ed Richards recovered from an early shoulder knock to produce a dominant display and Rhylee West and Mitch Wallis were strong through the midfield.

Josh Schache, the Dogs' medical sub on Friday night, also pressed his claims for a recall, repelling a number of Swans attacks playing as a key defender.

Schache could be vying for a spot with Ryan Gardner who was solid in his first game back from his second bout of shoulder surgery of the season required after round 15.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Reading that Richards has to come back in for me.

Martin too.

Schache v Gardner is something I didn't see coming.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Martin for Young
Richards for Wood
Marra for Hannan
Schache for B. Smith
Gardner for Cordy

B: Dale Gardner Schache
HB: Williams Keath Duryea
C: Hunter Libba R. Smith
HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
F: Weightman English Marra
R: Martin Bonts Macrae
I: Richards (Def) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)
Sub: B. Smith or Scott

comrade
22-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Martin for Young
Richards for Wood
Marra for Hannan
Schache for B. Smith
Gardner for Cordy

F: Weightman English JJ
I: Richards (DEF) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)

You know I love this.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 12:33 PM
You know I love this.

Five players coming in with confidence will help. I think this team smashes Essendon. I don’t believe the MC will do it. We need to back in out of form players.

Mofra
22-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Martin for Young just has to happen

comrade
22-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Five players coming in with confidence will help. I think this team smashes Essendon. I don’t believe the MC will do it. We need to back in out of form players.

I agree that your named side would do Essendon in. Nicely balanced, good ball users on every line. Height at both ends.

Won’t happen.

Danjul
22-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Martin for Young
Richards for Wood
Marra for Hannan
Schache for B. Smith
Gardner for Cordy

F: Weightman English Marra
I: Richards (Def) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)
Need insurance in case Martin or Gardner break down. Would have Young as Sub

Mofra
22-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Martin for Young
Richards for Wood
Marra for Hannan
Schache for B. Smith
Gardner for Cordy
I don't have the same view of Bailey Smith as others but I would love Marra in the side (even though it won't happen).

If I was an opposition coach I'd be more worried about Marra kicking 3 goals than I would Hannan kicking 3 goals. Marra is probably 3-4 inches taller and quicker than the Bombers 3rd defender and an English/Naughon combo should worry them.

GVGjr
22-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Time for Bevo to bite the bullet and put the best players in their best position. No favourites, we have a flag to aim for.

Agreed, like last year I think we've picked some players without the right form level to justify the selection. We can't go into next week and beyond carrying players.

It all starts with a win next week and we will see the return of the Bulldogs with Bite.

Jeanette54
22-08-2021, 12:55 PM
There has been some speculation that Martin will replace Young in the side for the first final. If Martin comes in, then Young could well go into the backline. Schache or Young ???? Richards too, maybe, but who would go out ?

And what of Mitch Wallis ? I feel his hardness around the ball, and defensive forward efforts combined with a defensive role at centre bounces might be needed. Sentimentally I would like to see him in there, and if our midfield are demonstrably unwilling to take a defensive stance when required Mitch could fill that role.

Sadly someone will need to go out to bring any/all of these in. Hannan seems to be a popular choice to miss out, but I thought he showed positive signs in the game against PA. Scott out for Wallis could work. I really don't think Marra is in the mix, hopefully the VFL finals will give him a taste of finals footy. IMHO throwing him to the wolves in a sudden death senior final will do him more harm than good.

Not sure who could make way for Richards. Our much maligned back six have been miserly all year (except arguably the first Richmond game and 2MP's stand out game). They even troubled the much vaunted Geelong forwards, so its hard to see too many changes there.

Could we try Schache again at CHF, or CHB ???

I don't envy the Match Committee this week. I guess when its all said and done, we have no choice, so in Bevo we must trust.

GVGjr
22-08-2021, 01:25 PM
There has been some speculation that Martin will replace Young in the side for the first final. If Martin comes in, then Young could well go into the backline. Schache or Young ???? Richards too, maybe, but who would go out ?

And what of Mitch Wallis ? I feel his hardness around the ball, and defensive forward efforts combined with a defensive role at centre bounces might be needed. Sentimentally I would like to see him in there, and if our midfield are demonstrably unwilling to take a defensive stance when required Mitch could fill that role.

Sadly someone will need to go out to bring any/all of these in. Hannan seems to be a popular choice to miss out, but I thought he showed positive signs in the game against PA. Scott out for Wallis could work. I really don't think Marra is in the mix, hopefully the VFL finals will give him a taste of finals footy. IMHO throwing him to the wolves in a sudden death senior final will do him more harm than good.

Not sure who could make way for Richards. Our much maligned back six have been miserly all year (except arguably the first Richmond game and 2MP's stand out game). They even troubled the much vaunted Geelong forwards, so its hard to see too many changes there.

Could we try Schache again at CHF, or CHB ???

I don't envy the Match Committee this week. I guess when its all said and done, we have no choice, so in Bevo we must trust.

It's probably the biggest test this season for the match committee.

Schache should at least be in the consideration for this weeks team but would we drop Cordy? I'm not so sure

bornadog
22-08-2021, 01:39 PM
It's probably the biggest test this season for the match committee.

Schache should at least be in the consideration for this weeks team but would we drop Cordy? I'm not so sure

I prefer Young over Schache in the backline

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 01:53 PM
I prefer Young over Schache in the backline

I agree. Young HAS to play as insurance for Martin, so maybe Wood out and one of Schache/Gardner for Wood.
Cordy won’t be dropped.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Scratch match wrap: Stefan Martin’s timely return to form amid Bulldogs’ selection conundrum (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-news-2021-western-bulldogs-vs-sydney-swans-scratch-match-stefan-martin-injury-jordon-sweet/news-story/8bd6132bd460ffab0ac7e62dfb0632ad)

Stefan Martin put his hand up for selection with an impressive display in the Western Bulldogs’ scratch match against Sydney on Saturday morning.

The Whitten Oval match – which consisted of eight, 12-minute quarters – had several players that will push for senior selection in the first week of finals.

Martin’s presence in the ruck, where he swapped with Jordon Sweet, was significant, but it remains to be seen whether he did enough to force his way back into Luke Beveridge’s best team.

Friday’s unused sub Josh Schache was solid in defence, as was Ryan Gardner for his first match since Round 15 due to a shoulder complaint.

The game, which was a 16 v 16 contest, wasn’t as good for Hayden Crozier, who suffered a head knock and failed to complete the match. Pat Lipinski woke up unwell and was told to stay home.

First-year forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan registered six shots on goal and finished with two majors.

Tim English was swung forward to help cover the loss of Josh Bruce on Friday night, which saw makeshift ruckman Lewis Young go up against Scott Lycett.

Martin has not been seen at the top level since Round 12 due to persistent hip and groin issues, but played roughly 90 minutes on Saturday.

Speaking after the game on Friday, Beveridge poured cold water on a return for Martin next weekend.

“He’s played one game in three and a half months and he’s only had one full training session,” Beveridge told reporters.
“You can’t pick a player on the back of that preparation so we’ve just got to make do, and that’s not easy.

“At the moment he’s not a player that we can hang our hat on because he’s just missed too much footy. He hasn’t had the training load that’s required to play the game at this level for long enough, especially a final.”

comrade
22-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Stevo reporting that Tassie are going to feature in week one.

If both Melbourne and Port have games at Adelaide and the AFL doesn’t want 3 at the one venue...

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 04:12 PM

If both Melbourne and Port have games at Adelaide and the AFL doesn’t want 3 at the one venue...

I’m hearing syd/gws for tassie

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 04:12 PM

Tassie is ok right?

comrade
22-08-2021, 04:15 PM
Tassie is ok right?

Will basically be an Essendon home game.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 04:15 PM
Tassie is ok right?

When Essendon played hawthorn, the crowd was 80% Essendon, 20% hawks supporters.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Tassie is ok right?

We complained about the fly in, fly out two weeks ago getting stuck for 45 minutes. Even though both clubs had it.

Wouldn’t want to have another delay if that disturbed the players.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Will basically be an Essendon home game.

We won't be playing in Tassie

1eyedog
22-08-2021, 04:29 PM

Probably prefer we didn't pull our best player in the back half out of the back half.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 04:42 PM
So, will Bevo put a hard tag on Merrett or as usual, just let opposition mids run free?

Merrett needs a HARD tag. A job for Dunks or maybe Scott?
Also, Hind is another that needs to be looked after. If JJ is in the team, does he have the nous to sit on Hind and not necessarily worry about possessions (I’m sure we can do without his 6 for the game), and play as a pure defensive fwd.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 04:47 PM
So, will Bevo put a hard tag on Merrett or as usual, just let opposition mids run free?

Merrett needs a HARD tag. A job for Dunks or maybe Scott?
Also, Hind is another that needs to be looked after. If JJ is in the team, does he have the nous to sit on Hind and not necessarily worry about possessions (I’m sure we can do without his 6 for the game), and play as a pure defensive fwd.

We’ve never tagged. We won’t start now. We are all in with Bevo and his ideas. Gotta hope it doesn’t bite us and we can work harder the other way.

How we respond to Libba getting tagged would be nice. Clubs have done it really well and Libba and his teammates can’t seem to work him free of it.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 04:52 PM
We’ve never tagged. We won’t start now. We are all in with Bevo and his ideas. Gotta hope it doesn’t bite us and we can work harder the other way.

How we respond to Libba getting tagged would be nice. Clubs have done it really well and Libba and his teammates can’t seem to work him free of it.

And I also don’t expect Bevo do go against his own stubbornness re: tagging. Makes me laugh when he sees Libba getting tagged and taken out of the game, but never really does it himself.

Maybe the issue with our mids and no real defensive pressure, is the fact they’ve never really had to sacrifice their own games to take an opposition mid out of the game, and play 4 quarters in a defensive role.

comrade
22-08-2021, 04:55 PM
Age journo Dan Cherny reporting our game will be in Tasmania. He doesn’t get it wrong.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Age journo Dan Cherny reporting our game will be in Tasmania. He doesn’t get it wrong.

So my only question is, did we get a choice?

Sounds like being 5th comes with it's disadvantages.

comrade
22-08-2021, 04:59 PM
So my only question is, did we get a choice?

Sounds like being 5th comes with it's disadvantages.

We’ve stated our choice was Adelaide.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 05:00 PM

Ah ok thanks.

Not ideal if it wasn't our option. But, you can't dictate from outside the top 2.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 05:02 PM

I guess the problem is, we get 3rd choice.
If Melb choose Adelaide , and port has Adelaide, then if the AFL doesn’t want 3 games in Adelaide ,then it’s tassie or the Gabba for us.

comrade
22-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Ah ok thanks.

Not ideal if it wasn't our option. But, you can't dictate from outside the top 2.

The irony is if you gave Essendon a choice they’d probably pick Tassie.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Martin for Young
Richards for Wood
Marra for Hannan
Schache for B. Smith
Gardner for Cordy

Richards - Very nice
Marra for Hannan - I like this a lot
Gardner for Cordy - I could live with that
Schache for Smith - I not convinced with the exclusion l, has JJ offered more than Smith? If Smith doesn’t handball or kick on his left he is OK

The question is do we need Schache if we have Keith, Gardner, Young, English, Naughton and Marra in the side. Could this be Wallis’s time to come in and replace JJ. He will be hungry for sure

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 05:11 PM

Have we ever won down there? I vaguely remember a Hawks game maybe at some point.

I have a terrible memory.

Essendon are in very good form, they play with spirit and score heavily. Not sure I'll be able to watch it live! Health hazard.

Edit:

York Park (Launceston) we've played 6 won 1 lost 5.
Never played at Bellerive (Hobart) from what I can find.

Not sure I like that but we should be able to beat them anywhere if we play to our ability.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Yep, our record is horrendous in Launceston.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2021, 05:38 PM
I get we want the best outcome ground/logistics wise but if playing in Tasmania vs side who finished 8th, in form but with enough weaknesses, if that is our undoing. We aren't going to go far enough to matter anyway.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 05:42 PM
Dogs in Launceston gaining major momentum.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Dogs in Launceston gaining major momentum.

I thought the rule is we choose not the media

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 05:45 PM

Apparently the AFEL don’t want three games at one venue. Melbourne & Port if they’ve chosen AO would mean others down the ladder get what they’re given.

We will soon see.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 05:46 PM

I guess the AFL don’t want 3 games in Adelaide

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2021, 06:05 PM
It’s gonna be in Tassie. Again, we’ve put ourselves in this position. Either way if we can’t beat Essendon anywhere then it wouldn’t have mattered.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2021, 06:36 PM
It’s gonna be in Tassie. Again, we’ve put ourselves in this position. Either way if we can’t beat Essendon anywhere then it wouldn’t have mattered.

Hope Bevo doesn’t think like this. I want him to pick the best team, not just think and take for granted that we are better and should win so he can play with selection

MrMahatma
22-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Why not the Gabba? Or Metricon?

comrade
22-08-2021, 07:17 PM
Club has confirmed Tassie next Sunday.

Cheer loud DG!

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Cheer loud DG!

Did we have a choice?

MrMahatma
22-08-2021, 07:19 PM
Just got the app alert. UTAS it is. Sunday at 3:20pm.

Feels a bit meh….

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Just got the app alert. UTAS it is. Sunday at 3:20pm.

Feels a bit meh….

I blame Colin Carter!

azabob
22-08-2021, 07:21 PM
Did we have a choice?

I wouldn’t have thought so.

comrade
22-08-2021, 07:22 PM
I wonder what Gordo would have said about this if he was still around?

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:27 PM
Assume if we make it through be a 6 day break I doubt they'd do a Sunday game. Other team (Dees or Lions) would have 7.

azabob
22-08-2021, 07:30 PM
I wonder what Gordo would have said about this if he was still around?

Hopefully he can say something regardless. This decision is crap and driven by the crap broadcast partner.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 07:30 PM

Cheer loud DG!

Not sure I wanna be surrounded by 1000 Essendon supporters in my area ;)

EasternWest
22-08-2021, 07:48 PM
Not sure I wanna be surrounded by 1000 Essendon supporters in my area ;)

When we win you will be sure.

ratsmac
22-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Tassie really? The very ground we had our worst loss and lowest score of the season. This weekend has been one big stitch up!

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:57 PM
When we win you will be sure.

In the future I choose to accept, I see the cameras cut to DG standing in his Dogs jumper, a beacon of RW&B among the red and black horde.

Cascade in one hand, waving and mockingly wiping the tears of the Essendon fans from his eyes with the other as they exit like rats en masse during the third quarter, ten goals down.

*stares into the distance longingly*

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Hopefully he can say something regardless. This decision is crap and driven by the crap broadcast partner.

If not him, then who would speak up for our club?

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 08:02 PM
I'm hearing Essendon have a massive following in Tassie?

Is the crowd going to be 90 percent Dons?

This is reverse GWS prelim.

The Adelaide Connection
22-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Tasmania? This is beyond bs.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 08:04 PM
For the extra revenue we’ve made everybody by our 7 Friday Night games, they are quick to burn us. AFEL.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 08:04 PM
This is utter rubbish. Why is the club just lying down and taking this? Same thing happened in 2015 when we were unbeaten at Marvel and forced to MCG. The AFL makes up things as they go along.

I want to hear from the club why?

comrade
22-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Tassie really? The very ground we had our worst loss and lowest score of the season. This weekend has been one big stitch up!

Yep, it’s like a Saw movie.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 08:07 PM
Forecast in Tassie 14 and raining

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Yep, it’s like a Saw movie.

Psychologically it's going to be interesting. Doubt any player in the team has won there, and they run out to thousands of jeering Dons fans at a "home" final.

Why is top 4 home more important than bottom 4 home? Home is home right? You won the right to choose.

I would like to see our president make some noise about this. Cmon Kylie get your angry on.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2021, 08:11 PM
Definitely no choice for the club based on what I’ve heard.

Ah well, the merry go round of the season continues. One last clip from the AFL… hoping this one acts to galvanise the group. It’s us against the world (again) with no leg up (again) against a team in much better form (again) who the powers that be and the media will want to win (again).

As Jay-Z once said “call me crazy, but strangely I love the odds”

azabob
22-08-2021, 08:13 PM
If not him, then who would speak up for our club?

Not sure we have anyone?

bulldogtragic
22-08-2021, 08:17 PM
Not sure we have anyone?

Nope. Nobody.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Nope. Nobody.

Darcy is usually reasonably outspoken. But I've not heard him say anything in an official club capacity before. Probably not his place.

Bains or Watson-Wheeler are the right people to make some noise.

jeemak
22-08-2021, 08:26 PM
I'm still trying to reconcile how you can have proof that a game went for too long, materially impacted the top four's make up and everybody's pretending it's fine and dandy.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 08:27 PM
I'm still trying to reconcile how you can have proof that a game went for too long, materially impacted the top four's make up and everybody's pretending it's fine.

AFL are a joke, they continually find ways to *!*!*!*! this game up

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 08:27 PM
I'm hearing Essendon have a massive following in Tassie?

Is the crowd going to be 90 percent Dons?

This is reverse GWS prelim.

They have a very big following. 90% of the crowd against hawks were Essendon fans. A friend was at the ground and he couldn’t believe the support for Essendon. For a crowd of 10,000 I’d say you’ll be lucky to see 800 dogs supporters.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 08:28 PM
They have a very big following. 90% of the crowd against hawks were Essendon fans. A friend was at the ground and he couldn’t believe the support for Essendon. For a crowd of 10,000 I’d say you’ll be lucky to see 800 dogs supporters.

At least you will get to go.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-08-2021, 08:47 PM
Tasmania? Really?

You're *!*!*!*!ing kidding me.

Great that DG and any others may get to go of course but why ANY final would be played in Tasmania is ridiculous.

If not SA, it should be Brisbane/GC. It should be OUR choice.

What a weekend.... Can anything else actually go against us?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2021, 08:54 PM
I’m sorry but this is the final straw. This season is a massive asterisk. At least last season all teams (but 1) were in the same boat. This is beyond compromised.

Dry Rot
22-08-2021, 09:09 PM

Why?

comrade
22-08-2021, 09:17 PM
Why?

Huge following.

The Adelaide Connection
22-08-2021, 09:24 PM
You know, when we used those black cats as footballs at training and were kicking them under ladders into mirrors to smash them, I thought there was a possibility it could come back to bite us.

Sedat
22-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Bains or Watson-Wheeler are the right people to make some noise.
Our invisible president. To say she has been underwhelming would be to assume she has done anything.

Gordon gave us profile, we should never take this for granted as one of the lesser sized clubs. I hope and expect to hear far more from our president in 2022.

Dry Rot
22-08-2021, 09:39 PM
Huge following.

Thanks.

Glass half full view: where did we play our first semi in 2016? A slightly hostile crowd there?

Dry Rot
22-08-2021, 09:41 PM
OK, lots of interesting team selections in this thread trying to select the best available team.

So 2 questions for you:

Q1. Any particular changes you would make given we are playing the Bombers?

Q2. Any particular changes you would make given we are playing at this Tassie ground?

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:45 PM
OK, lots of interesting team selections in this thread trying to select the best available team.

So 2 questions for you:

Q2. Any particular changes you would make given we are playing at this Tassie ground?

Not 100% sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the MC go small in defence if it’s supposed to be windy/rain to try to get run from the ground ball. Meaning the defence of Keath, Cordy, Wood, Dale, Dureya and Williams will be the go, with Daniel for good measure.

azabob
22-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Not 100% sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the MC go small in defence if it’s supposed to be windy/rain to try to get run from the ground ball.

So Caleb Daniel on Peter Wright small?

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:50 PM
So Caleb Daniel on Peter Wright small?
Not to start with, but it wouldn’t surprise to see that match up one on one, 20 metres out during a moment in the game ;)

Dry Rot
22-08-2021, 09:54 PM
What are the weaknesses of the Bombers, and how de we target them?

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:55 PM
What are the weaknesses of the Bombers, and how de we target them?

We target them with hard tags on Merrett and Hind…but that won’t happen.
An errant Cordy elbow to Wright wouldn’t go astray.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 10:33 AM

So 2 questions for you:

I sense this will be unpopular. Really unpopular with a few in particular! But I'm playing Wallis this week. Conditions won't be great, it certainly won't play like Marvel stadium three weeks ago. Yes, I know there's attributes he doesn't have - but what he does have - he's going to be good in the contest, he takes his opportunities more often than not and he can play as the other 'key' type forward so that Naughton and English aren't chained to the 50.

When English and Naughton marked up at half forward and the wing last week, I was definitely thinking - "oh great....nobody to kick to now". Weightman gets his marks on a lead occasionally, but wasn't able to halve contests with a taller opponent when a longer ball came in. We know Wally can do this. I'm playing Hannan higher, Wally deep and omit Vandemeer.

Before you said 'forward pressure' - JJ, VDM and Flea has 3 tackles between them on Friday night. I know pressure is more than tackles, but they didn't get it done on either measure.

As I say, I know its probably a wildly unpopular suggestion. But play the Vice Captain.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Before you said 'forward pressure' - JJ, VDM and Flea has 3 tackles between them on Friday night. I know pressure is more than tackles, but they didn't get it done on either measure.

As I say, I know its probably a wildly unpopular suggestion. But play the Vice Captain.

They kicked a goal each and contributed to a couple more.

I wouldn't drop VDM, I thought he was coming into a bit of form.

I was thinking the same thing on the weekend with bringing Wally in. The conditions will suit him and I would drop Hannan for Wally

westbulldog
23-08-2021, 11:45 AM
I'm still trying to reconcile how you can have proof that a game went for too long, materially impacted the top four's make up and everybody's pretending it's fine and dandy.

"24 seconds went missing" is what has been reported here in Perth. This has been blithely (and conveniently) swept under the carpet. Our Club should have immediately demanded an AFL investigation. It well may be the case that WE and not Brisbane should be in 4th place. One day an error such as this will end up in Court. It is disappointing and rather pathetic that our President is not publicly up in arms about this.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2021, 12:27 PM
"24 seconds went missing" is what has been reported here in Perth. This has been blithely (and conveniently) swept under the carpet. Our Club should have immediately demanded an AFL investigation. It well may be the case that WE and not Brisbane should be in 4th place. One day an error such as this will end up in Court. It is disappointing and rather pathetic that our President is not publicly up in arms about this.

Do we even have a President?

She's been a ghost.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Do we even have a President?

She's been a ghost.

Nope. Hard to imagine PG would sit around meekly. For days now. Come back PG, well get rid of the term limits.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 01:22 PM

If we start jumping up and down about that - is that a sign of a club with focus split between something that occurred out of our control, and the game ahead of it this week?

Its obviously an ordinary situation regardless.

The Pie Man
23-08-2021, 02:07 PM
They kicked a goal each and contributed to a couple more.

I wouldn't drop VDM, I thought he was coming into a bit of form.

I was thinking the same thing on the weekend with bringing Wally in. The conditions will suit him and I would drop Hannan for Wally

If the forward mix from Friday is altered, JJ has to be the first out

jeemak
23-08-2021, 02:13 PM
If we start jumping up and down about that - is that a sign of a club with focus split between something that occurred out of our control, and the game ahead of it this week?

That's why we needed to get onto it first thing Sunday morning with a press release demanding a please explain from the AFL, prior to our fate being fully determined.

It at least prompts the media to ask questions of the umpire before the umpire made its call. The outcome would likely be the same but it's absolutely disgraceful it's happened. I can't imagine a Hawthorn not getting on the front foot, or any other club to be honest.

Who knows, it may have enabled us to leverage something other than a game in Tasmania.

comrade
23-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Richards has been ruled out with a shoulder injury so the obvious replacement for Wood is now off the table.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Richards has been ruled out with a shoulder injury so the obvious replacement for Wood is now off the table.

I would even have Scott over Wood

comrade
23-08-2021, 03:42 PM
I would even have Scott over Wood

I hope Schache gets a go.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 03:44 PM
I hope Schache gets a go.

If Martin comes in, I would love Young to go back. He is 201cm now, and very mobile.

comrade
23-08-2021, 03:49 PM
If Martin comes in, I would love Young to go back. He is 201cm now, and very mobile.

I could also get behind that. Not sure Bevo sees Young as a part of our defence though.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 03:53 PM
I could also get behind that. Not sure Bevo sees Young as a part of our defence though.

true

Rocco Jones
23-08-2021, 04:05 PM
I think what could keep Young in is being back up for Stef if he gets hurt. Medi-sub at the very least.

I think if Stef got through the 90 mins okay, it's now or never. Medi-sub him off is too sore.

In: Gardner, Stef
Out: Zaine, Wood
Medi-Sub: Wood

I can live with Wood in and Lewy as the sub.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 04:33 PM
Thought I'd compare the team that beat Melbourne to the team who lost to Port on the weekend. Alarming the changes are as follows....with the "Outs" being those who played v Melbourne but not Port. The "Ins" being who was in for the port game.

Outs: Bruce, Garcia, Richards, Jamarra, Schache (Scott Sub)
Ins: VDM , Young, Wood, Treloar, Dunkley (Schache Sub)

Bruce is obviously a big loss....but you would think on balance, the ins are far better than the Outs....and the performance didn't match that.

It will no doubt be a combination of a few things....but we certainly aren't getting what we were getting out of the midfield - and we certainly haven't seen anywhere near the best of the bromance since they're back.

We were angry, and played right on the edge that night v Melbourne. Hope we can recapture that for the final.

comrade
23-08-2021, 04:41 PM
2 tall forwards that haven’t been replaced stands out.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 04:48 PM

Inside 50s is the killer.

v Hawks 35 to 51

v Port 43 to 50

This means the forwards are getting minimal supply

v Essendon it was 60 to their 39. This one we should have smashed them but forwards missed too many easy shots.

comrade
23-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Inside 50s is the killer.

v Hawks 35 to 51

v Port 43 to 50

This means the forwards are getting minimal supply

v Essendon it was 60 to their 39. This one we should have smashed them but forwards missed too many easy shots.

Is there a correlation between lack of inside 50s and forward structure? Are we moving the ball slower given our structure has been blown up?

bornadog
23-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Is there a correlation between lack of inside 50s and forward structure? Are we moving the ball slower given our structure has been blown up?

Mids are not feeding the ball to the forwards as much because we have lost the clearances around the ground.

Against Essendon, Bont had 10 inside 50s, and against Port - 4

Mids must lift to win this week, and give the fwds some chance.

Ozza
23-08-2021, 05:07 PM
Mids are not feeding the ball to the forwards as much because we have lost the clearances around the ground.

Against Essendon, Bont had 10 inside 50s, and against Port - 4

Mids must lift to win this week, and give the fwds some chance.

Lost clearances, Contested possession count and overall possession count the last two weeks. Sounds simple - but getting our hands on heaps of footy will help!!

comrade
23-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Yeah, mids have cooked it the last few weeks and given we’ve got too many as it is, it’s a concern!

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Lost clearances, Contested possession count and overall possession count the last two weeks. Sounds simple - but getting our hands on heaps of footy will help!!

And given we’ve got gaps in our forward line, ruck and defence, if our mids aren’t on then we’re in a heap of trouble.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 05:30 PM

We played 2 tall forwards on the weekend (English & Naughton) as opposed to 3 against Melb (Bruce, Naughton & JUH). Young has in essence replaced English in the ruck and English replaced one of Bruce or JUH.

We also played 3 tall defenders and had Schache intercepting which we got pretty much none of on the weekend... Richards was very good too until concussed and has been replaced by a horribly out of form Wood.

comrade
23-08-2021, 05:52 PM
We played 2 tall forwards on the weekend (English & Naughton) as opposed to 3 against Melb (Bruce, Naughton & JUH). Young has in essence replaced English in the ruck and English replaced one of Bruce or JUH.

We also played 3 tall defenders and had Schache intercepting which we got pretty much none of on the weekend... Richards was very good too until concussed and has been replaced by a horribly out of form Wood.

The lack of height and marking power in D50 is such a direct contrast to every other good side.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 05:55 PM
The lack of height and marking power in D50 is such a direct contrast to every other good side.
And this is why Young and Schache should be there instead of Wood and Cordy.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 06:19 PM
And this is why Young and Schache should be there instead of Wood and Cordy.

But tHeY dOn'T dEfEnD weLl eNouGh.

*As Cordy gets out-marked at least 3-4 times per game.

And would take 3-4 intercept marks per game too!

Rocco Jones
23-08-2021, 06:35 PM
But tHeY dOn'T dEfEnD weLl eNouGh.

*As Cordy gets out-marked at least 3-4 times per game.

And would take 3-4 intercept marks per game too!

In Zaine's defence, does it count as being outmarked when you don't even get to the contest?

kruder
23-08-2021, 06:40 PM
If Martin is close id risk him now and play Schache as the sub.

This then means Young become second ruck/ defender hopefully to start agree we need to add marking power.

With three tall defenders I think it gives us the ability to drop Wood and I would even consider JJ to play back at times now that Richards isnt an option to replace wood. Williams to go on the third tall when Young rucks.

So Wood out for Martin. Also in 70 plus tackles I want it to look like a final not like a basketball game, a sunday stroll as it was last September. If we cant bring the basics that September requires no amount of structural change will help. Oh yeah mids the pressure starts with you! Yes that includes you Treloar and yes you Bailey Smith.

I have a feeling Bevo will make 1-2 changes max.

EasternWest
23-08-2021, 07:59 PM
In Zaine's defence, does it count as being outmarked when you don't even get to the contest?

4D chess.

Can't have a "marked against" stat on you if you're not in the contest b

Rocco Jones
23-08-2021, 08:03 PM
4D chess.

Can't have a "marked against" stat on you if you're not in the contest b

Only chess I'm into.

westbulldog
24-08-2021, 10:46 AM

So we just lie down and ignore clear errors that affect our Club without saying anything ? None of Irene Chatfield, Susan Alberti, David Smorgon and Peter Gordon would have been neither obseqious nor silent.

Ozza
24-08-2021, 10:55 AM
So we just lie down and ignore clear errors that affect our Club without saying anything ? None of Irene Chatfield, Susan Alberti, David Smorgon and Peter Gordon would have been neither obseqious nor silent.

I wasn't advocating one way or another - just simply asking the question and highlighting that their are nuances and considerations to jumping up and down about it. Maybe the club has raised it with the AFL directly - and not done it through the media.

bornadog
24-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Luke Beveridge to reporters on ruckman Stefan Martin

: "What do you think happens if we put a player out there who can't run the game out?

"If we pick Stefan, we're taking a big risk. I'm not saying we won't."

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Luke Beveridge to reporters on ruckman Stefan Martin

Where was that? Was that today?

jeemak
24-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Stefan's either not playing or is cherry ripe and Bevo's playing the game.

bornadog
24-08-2021, 11:46 AM
Where was that? Was that today?

This morning.

I haven't seen the upload of the presser yet

comrade
24-08-2021, 11:46 AM
Just roll the dice Bevo.

Danjul
24-08-2021, 11:51 AM
I have seen fatigue offered as an explanation of our recent decline. IÂ’m sure players are tiring but a look at what happened when the Dogs played Essendon recently doesnÂ’t support that conclusion. The Dogs had 50 more possessions. Nearly twice as many inside 50Â’s ( many wide into the left pocket)

Essendon won because of two factors.

Accurate goal kicking. For example the second quarter: 6 straight against 3:2 (match winning performance)

Very clean ruck dominance set this up.

Here is EssendonÂ’s ruck performance in the second half of the season.

14, 23, 23,, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 30, 33, 34. 42, 48

Now, which was against the Dogs?

Correct! 48. When the numbers are this extreme the problem is ourselves.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Just roll the dice Bevo.

Especially when he did with Vandermeer, who is structurally no where near as important!!

Cmon Bevo ffs.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2021, 11:57 AM

I mean, you never know with Bevo, but the fact we continued with Young last week suggests we’re readying ourselves for Stef to return. Why else play that weird strategy with English not rucking? Who knows….

Jam Donuts
24-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Out: Van der hum
in: Marra, if he gets 4 kicks we likely get 4 goals, van der hum would be lucky to get 4 kicks

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2021, 12:00 PM
I have seen fatigue offered as an explanation of our recent decline. IÂ’m sure players are tiring but a look at what happened when the Dogs played Essendon recently doesnÂ’t support that conclusion. The Dogs had 50 more possessions. Nearly twice as many inside 50Â’s ( many wide into the left pocket)

Essendon won because of two factors.

Accurate goal kicking. For example the second quarter: 6 straight against 3:2 (match winning performance)

Very clean ruck dominance set this up.

Here is EssendonÂ’s ruck performance in the second half of the season.

14, 23, 23,, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 30, 33, 34. 42, 48

Now, which was against the Dogs?

Correct! 48. When the numbers are this extreme the problem is ourselves.

To be honest, apart from the first quarter against Essendon, our mids were as woeful as they were against the hawks. To me, that shows how easily we should account for Essendon. We pressure them, give them no easy run and win the contested possession and we win.

Mofra
24-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Out: Van der hum
in: Marra, if he gets 4 kicks we likely get 4 goals, van der hum would be lucky to get 4 kicks
They are completely different players playing different roles.
VDM led the competition for repeat sprints pre-injury and was playing defensively as much as he was playing offensively. We have tended to play two negating forwards this year.

I think there's room for both.

comrade
24-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Especially when he did with Vandermeer, who is structurally no where near as important!!

Cmon Bevo ffs.

We’ve brought back players like Vanders, Treloar and Dunkley off extended periods out and little prep time and it hasn’t worked BUT the ruck position is less about run and drive and more about structure and neutralisation.

If we’re concerned, keep Young in the side. Drop Wood, put Young in defence, play Stef.

You then have Martin as main ruck, English to back up and Young to back up the back up. Kills a few birds with one move (removes Wood who is bereft of form, provides more height and intercept marking on D50 which is sorely needed and provides additional ruck coverage). It’s not rocket science.

OUT: Wood, JJ, Hannan
IN: Martin, Marra, Scott

I would also punt Cordy and replace him with Schache but it’s not happening so no point.

Bullies
24-08-2021, 12:25 PM
VDM led the competition for repeat sprints pre-injury and was playing defensively as much as he was playing offensively. We have tended to play two negating forwards this year.

I think there's room for both. Leading the competition with - "Repeat Sprints". Is that not taking the stats to the next level. Not sure we should be reading to much into it. Would rather see us get back to basics. See ball, get ball - "Repeat Possessions".

1eyedog
24-08-2021, 12:27 PM
We’ve brought back players like Vanders, Treloar and Dunkley off extended periods out and little prep time and it hasn’t worked BUT the ruck position is less about run and drive and more about structure and neutralisation.

If we’re concerned, keep Young in the side. Drop Wood, put Young in defence, play Stef.

You then have Martin as main ruck, English to back up and Young to back up the back up. Kills a few birds with one move (removes Wood who is bereft of form, provides more height and intercept marking on D50 which is sorely needed and provides additional ruck coverage). It’s not rocket science.

OUT: Wood, JJ, Hannan
IN: Martin, Marra, Scott

I would also punt Cordy and replace him with Schache but it’s not happening so no point.

I'm thinking along the same lines as this provides us with a structurally sound shape in the middle and (if Stef breaks down), in-game options to cover him. I get there's a risk if Stef doesn't get through the game and we cop another injury on top of that but that's life at the pointy end. For me, the benefit of your selections above far outweigh potential injury risks. We can't be jumping at shadows it's do or die now.

Plus if Stef does get through the game he will only get better and could prove critical helping us to neutralise Gawn / Ladhams / Lycett moving forward.

I just don't think we'll go very deep playing Young or English against these guys.

The Pie Man
24-08-2021, 01:23 PM

If Stef plays, Bevo’s demeanour at his presser would worthy of any poker player.

He won’t be picked

bornadog
24-08-2021, 01:27 PM
If Stef plays, Bevo’s demeanour at his presser would worthy of any poker player.

He won’t be picked

Presser here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1007750/luke-beveridge-everything-changes-now-?videoId=1007750&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1629766287001)

Sedat
24-08-2021, 01:35 PM

I think there's room for both.We were at our best this season with McNeil and Scott as part of our forward set-up. Not sure why they can't be reintegrated back into our F50 with JJ and VDM to make way. We aren't losing much at all offensively or defensively with these 2 out of the team

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Presser here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1007750/luke-beveridge-everything-changes-now-?videoId=1007750&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1629766287001)

Martin ain't playing.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 01:40 PM
We were at our best this season with McNeil and Scott as part of our forward set-up. Not sure why they can't be reintegrated back into our F50 with JJ and VDM to make way. We aren't losing much at all offensively or defensively with these 2 out of the team

McNeil is an interesting one. Was part of the team when we are flying, for some reason doesn't seem to be in the plans now.

He's young I get that but I like what he brings (can anyone tell?).

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Martin ain't playing.

I agree based on that. No chance. Bevo more or less just wanted to explain why he wouldn’t be picked so that all of us shut up when he’s not, but also leave the door open so Essendon need to plan for the possibility that he will play.

I still think our best chance of winning the flag is with Stef in the team. Is it possible for him to get enough fitness in scratch matches? If not, I’d say we need to risk playing him and hope we get a decent lead that tired legs don’t hurt us in the last qtr. I mean, if we win and Lions win, we play Dees next week… and that won’t end well at all if it’s Gawn v Young.

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 01:49 PM
We were at our best this season with McNeil and Scott as part of our forward set-up. Not sure why they can't be reintegrated back into our F50 with JJ and VDM to make way. We aren't losing much at all offensively or defensively with these 2 out of the team

Scott had a bit of a mare v Essendon last time. Missed everything from 30 out directly in front. Choked hard on the opportunity to give us a buffer. I wouldn’t be playing him in a knock out final.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 01:56 PM
I agree based on that. No chance. Bevo more or less just wanted to explain why he wouldn’t be picked so that all of us shut up when he’s not, but also leave the door open so Essendon need to plan for the possibility that he will play.

I still think our best chance of winning the flag is with Stef in the team. Is it possible for him to get enough fitness in scratch matches? If not, I’d say we need to risk playing him and hope we get a decent lead that tired legs don’t hurt us in the last qtr. I mean, if we win and Lions win, we play Dees next week… and that won’t end well at all if it’s Gawn v Young.

Exactly and just abuse the medi-sub. Hamstring tightness.

comrade
24-08-2021, 01:58 PM
So Young and English to ruck.

https://i.ibb.co/P9x0XDq/200.gif (https://imgbb.com/)

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hate our ruck situation but not sure playing Stef is the answer. He actually does seem to be building but even if he doesn't get hurt, seems he can barely move. Like incapable of doing the bare essentials at AFL level. It gets to the point where we might as well then play Sweet if going with that.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:24 PM
There's a risk of injury and then there's knowing even if a player doesn't get injured, they cannot cover the basic ground needed at AFL level.

Mofra
24-08-2021, 02:24 PM
Leading the competition with - "Repeat Sprints". Is that not taking the stats to the next level. Not sure we should be reading to much into it. Would rather see us get back to basics. See ball, get ball - "Repeat Possessions".
It's the style of play that got us to the top of the ladder, and arguably a drop off in defensive running is what has led to our malaise.

Every team plays forwards whose role is to negate opposition chains from the back half. Last year we fell into a heap for a month when teams started putting one of the forwards on Caleb. When we allow teams to switch easily they kill us. Conversely if you go back to our first game against Melbourne, Brayshaw sacrificed his game and spent the entire time out wide cutting off our switch kick and it destroyed us.

"See ball, get ball" is under 12s stuff.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:26 PM
It's the style of play that got us to the top of the ladder, and arguably a drop off in defensive running is what has led to our malaise.

Every team plays forwards whose role is to negate opposition chains from the back half. Last year we fell into a heap for a month when teams started putting one of the forwards on Caleb. When we allow teams to switch easily they kill us. Conversely if you go back to our first game against Melbourne, Brayshaw sacrificed his game and spent the entire time out wide cutting off our switch kick and it destroyed us.

"See ball, get ball" is under 12s stuff.

One underrated stat is winning and losing. We won more with the element you mentioned.

Mofra
24-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hate our ruck situation but not sure playing Stef is the answer. He actually does seem to be building but even if he doesn't get hurt, seems he can barely move. Like incapable of doing the bare essentials at AFL level. It gets to the point where we might as well then play Sweet if going with that.
Stef for a half, burn him out, then Young to sub in?
I don't think we can let Draper get 48 clean hit outs again because a lot of those hit outs were to clear space their midget midfielders ran onto. If Stef stops those hit outs and the ball falls short, I'd back a Libba & Dunks combo to win the contested possession count in close.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 02:28 PM
There's a risk of injury and then there's knowing even if a player doesn't get injured, they cannot cover the basic ground needed at AFL level.

That's the message I got, it's just too much of a team risk to have a guy who can't run defensively/structurally.

Shame.

Might have played his last game, he can't get that back playing 12 minute quarters or whatever they were.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Stef for a half, burn him out, then Young to sub in?
I don't think we can let Draper get 48 clean hit outs again because a lot of those hit outs were to clear space their midget midfielders ran onto. If Stef stops those hit outs and the ball falls short, I'd back a Libba & Dunks combo to win the contested possession count in close.

Thing is, can he even do the bursts at AFL level? The practise match seemed so light, like heavily reduced time. Doesn't matter how much of a break you get, if you literally cannot get to places physically.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:30 PM
That's the message I got, it's just too much of a team risk to have a guy who can't run defensively/structurally.

Shame.

Might have played his last game, he can't get that back playing 12 minute quarters or whatever they were.

Yeah he seems a different case atm. Like just not able to physically do the work. Sounds cooked really.

The Pie Man
24-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Just ducked out to get some lunch and tunes into SEN - whooboy is the caller feedback for Bevo something…

‘Has Sweet fallen off the face of the earth?’

‘He wipes players’

‘He’s stubborn & pigheaded’

‘The sooner he’s out the door the better’

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Just ducked out to get some lunch and tunes into SEN - whooboy is the caller feedback for Bevo something…

‘He wipes players’

We have a messiah or burn them at the stake complex.

Ozza
24-08-2021, 02:42 PM
We have a messiah or burn them at the stake complex.

I don't think our supporter base in Robinson Crusoe there...

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 02:52 PM
I don't think our supporter base in Robinson Crusoe there...

Yeah, very true.

The Pie Man
24-08-2021, 02:53 PM
Given JJ touches the ball 6 times a game, like … we can’t play a 3/4 fit Stef.

I think Bevo’s getting in his own way a bit with this.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 02:56 PM

‘He wipes players’

Gee. Hopefully the vocal minority. Although even my octogenarian mum asked "why does he play that poor boy Young in the ruck?"

Danjul
24-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Gee. Hopefully the vocal minority. Although even my octogenarian mum asked "why does he play that poor boy Young in the ruck?"
Tell her it’s because Hannan can’t be expected to ruck all day.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Given JJ touches the ball 6 times a game, like … we can’t play a 3/4 fit Stef.

I think Bevo’s getting in his own way a bit with this.

Is he even 75% fit? I get wanting a ruck, I really do, but do we want a guy who literally can't move around the ground well enough? He is sound less mobile/effective than Sweet outside of the ruckwork.

The Pie Man
24-08-2021, 03:11 PM

Some of that is of course ridiculous but there is a perception that he’s stubborn with positioning & selection and doesn’t listen to other voices. Who would know what the MC meetings are like, but I’m convinced something needs to change

bornadog
24-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Martin ain't playing.

We will see. Bevo being Bevo in the presser ;)

The Pie Man
24-08-2021, 03:13 PM
Is he even 75% fit? I get wanting a ruck, I really do, but do we want a guy who literally can't move around the ground well enough? He is sound less mobile/effective than Sweet outside of the ruckwork.

Then play Sweet

Mofra
24-08-2021, 03:21 PM
I didn't see the game but the report sounded pretty effusive about Stef's second half.

It's hard to tell just how much he'd tire. I guess the other issue is neither Stef nor Sweet are threats ahead of the ball English can be, and Young can mark pretty well too.

Danjul
24-08-2021, 03:31 PM
I didn't see the game but the report sounded pretty effusive about Stef's second half.

It's hard to tell just how much he'd tire. I guess the other issue is neither Stef nor Sweet are threats ahead of the ball English can be, and Young can mark pretty well too.
Didn’t Sweet kick 3 goals in a recent practice match? Wouldn’t that be ahead of the ball?

Mofra
24-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Didn’t Sweet kick 3 goals in a recent practice match? Wouldn’t that be ahead of the ball?
I'm quoting Bevo.
As it stands we went with Young ahead of Sweet last week so I'd say the ruck call this week is really between Stef and Young.

I have little confidence that Young could match Draper in the middle which is why I'm leaning towards Stef