PDA

View Full Version : New head coach

Vred
21-08-2021, 12:24 AM
IF we slip to 5th
IF we lose first week of finals against Essendon or GWS.

A fire will be lit under Bevos ass for wasting our season, with next year being his last contracted year, do you think he gets renewed or will the calls for change from members be loud enough for a changing of the guard?

I honestly feel his wasting a premiership side with incredibly insane match selection picks, and lost selection picks, and the gameplay feels to be “found out” by opposition as a result.

Does Bevos contract get renewed from 2023 onward? Who do we look for as a new head coach if it doesn’t?

G-Mo77
21-08-2021, 12:30 AM
If he can pull off a miracle then he's safe, no way that's happening. I'd be getting in Clarkson's ear right now for 2022.

comrade
21-08-2021, 12:31 AM
If we bomb our first week, at the very least we need a clean out of line coaches and some fresh ideas because the status quo isn’t cutting it.

We also need a review into high performance and medical. Our injury list is *!*!*!*!ed every year and recovery times have been stupid long this season (Treloar and Martin prime examples).

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 12:36 AM
If he’s contracted to 2023, I assume he’s got two years unless sacked.

Pragmatically, I think he is made to earn a contract extension in 2023. If he does, that’s great.

Clarkson is going to enjoy a year of on Hawthorn’s money. I have no doubt he will look at coaching from after next year. If we aren’t going well the media will start to draw those lines. It would probably put us over the soft cap and it would all up cost a fair bit. Is the club prepared to do that in this environment. I doubt it.

All I will say, is that I think Bevo’s credits for a flag ought to run out. What he does from now is the test. Even Clarko got sacked not 6 full years from his last premiership. Of which he gave them 4.

The list management period will be interesting. If our activity is low because rucking and other philosophy hasn’t changed, then it’s all or nothing next year if we have defenders and gun midfielders rucking and losing games.

Let’s all see how it goes.

SonofScray
21-08-2021, 12:38 AM
Content warning:irrational, post loss comments.

I packed away my axe when he got his extension, but it’s still sharp.

Don’t trust him, don’t think he can take our best players the extra few notches. He’s not a bad coach, but he’s not going to get it done with us. Time for a different look at things.

Win at least one final and perform well when the eventual loss comes, and I’ll put the axe away again. But for now, I am at the point where the sound of his voice makes me sick.

The Underdog
21-08-2021, 12:39 AM
Maybe Peter Rohde or Brendan McCartney are available

The Bulldogs Bite
21-08-2021, 12:43 AM
Content warning:irrational, post loss comments.

I packed away my axe when he got his extension, but it’s still sharp.

Don’t trust him, don’t think he can take our best players the extra few notches. He’s not a bad coach, but he’s not going to get it done with us. Time for a different look at things.

Win at least one final and perform well when the eventual loss comes, and I’ll put the axe away again. But for now, I am at the point where the sound of his voice makes me sick.

Tonight was about the last straw for me.

Bont in the ruck... Naughton did it last week.

I can't be bothered with an indepth analysis, but I'm tired of his arrogance.

whythelongface
21-08-2021, 12:45 AM
I get we are angry but the cards haven’t fallen his way late on in the year. He has had to try to manufacture a win, which he nearly did tonight. Let’s face it we had 3 players underdone in terms of fitness, two others in Martin and Gardner not fit enough to be selected, our leading goal kicker out for who knows how long, both English and Naughton seem to have lost confidence after their concussions. Sure all teams go through this but we have been up the top most of the season and in most games had a solid game plan. You need a lot of luck to win a flag.

If Geelong can stick with Scott who has one flag in his tenure and Port can stick with Hinkley who has won nada, I don’t see why we wouldn’t stick with Bevo. It’s not like there is much choice out there at the moment. Who would your choice be?

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 12:46 AM
If we bomb our first week, at the very least we need a clean out of line coaches and some fresh ideas because the status quo isn’t cutting it.

We also need a review into high performance and medical. Our injury list is *!*!*!*!ed every year and recovery times have been stupid long this season (Treloar and Martin prime examples).

Bomb = Review

Ameet Bains is safe.
Sam Power is safe.

Is Chris Grant still the best man? We could retain Sam Power by promoting him if Grant focused on his investment ventures.
If Sam Power was promoted, a guy like Simon Dalrymple who knows our club but has time involved in Sydney who are a real pro list management team could be great. He can bring some young swans with him if he likes.

Assistant coaches? Have we got the right ones? Do we need to change it up?

The VFL set up. Is the thinking at optimal levels? Schache should’ve been moved back earlier for instance.

Match Committee. Time for some fresh names to test the current wisdom.

Medical as you say.

There’s not really much off the table if it’s another first week exit.

whythelongface
21-08-2021, 12:46 AM
If he’s contracted to 2023, I assume he’s got two years unless sacked.

Pragmatically, I think he is made to earn a contract extension in 2023. If he does, that’s great.

Clarkson is going to enjoy a year of on Hawthorn’s money. I have no doubt he will look at coaching from after next year. If we aren’t going well the media will start to draw those lines. It would probably put us over the soft cap and it would all up cost a fair bit. Is the club prepared to do that in this environment. I doubt it.

All I will say, is that I think Bevo’s credits for a flag ought to run out. What he does from now is the test. Even Clarko got sacked not 6 full years from his last premiership. Of which he gave them 4.

The list management period will be interesting. If our activity is low because rucking and other philosophy hasn’t changed, then it’s all or nothing next year if we have defenders and gun midfielders rucking and losing games.

Let’s all see how it goes.

Clarko will end up at Collingwood

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Clarko will end up at Collingwood

Soon find out. If they do a ‘Brendan Bolton’ and make the new coach an employee and not fixed term contract, that’s the give away to look for.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 01:01 AM
We don't need a new head coach but we might need to make some minor changes to the assistant coaches.
Bevo is still the right man for us but he's got to be a bit more flexible with some of his philosophies.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 01:06 AM
We don't need a new head coach but we might need to make some minor changes to the assistant coaches.
Bevo is still the right man for us but he's got to be a bit more flexible with some of his philosophies.

He’s the most stubborn man on the planet so you think he can show flexibility is a stretch to me…. I’m hoping those above (Grant & Bains) are rightfully questioning WTF has happened over the past 3 weeks.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 01:10 AM
I’m hoping for an internal review at minimum. But I doubt we’ll see any changes. I’m over this club.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 01:13 AM
He’s the most stubborn man on the planet so you think he can show flexibility is a stretch to me…. I’m hoping those above (Grant & Bains) are rightfully questioning WTF has happened over the past 3 weeks.

I can't see him being questioned or reviewed and I do think he has the ability to reinvent himself.
Just about all coaches have that stubborn streak in them but the more successful ones keep adapting.

soupman
21-08-2021, 01:16 AM

Really hoping that the end of this season is the kick up the arse we need to address this. We have been saying on here for ages that we need to freshen up the coaching group, there is no way we are sacking Beveridge so this is the way see us at least trying to help us make that next step.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 02:37 AM
I think a fair assessment of performance is Bevo got us a flag in 2016 with a very young side.

2017 - Missed Finals
2018 - Regressed Further
2019 - Lost EF
2020 - Lost EF
2021 - EF Pending

My other comments earlier stand.

Dancin' Douggy
21-08-2021, 02:38 AM
As a supporter and long time member along with automatic membership renewal for my kids I am so disappointed and angry and just desperately trying not to swear. Bevo you have lost me. bontempelli in the ruck??? Mitch Hannan in the ruck??? You, sir, have a problem and we are all paying for it. We lost a final last year to your delusional theories regarding ruckmen and now you’re doin it again. I have had a gutful. Bontempelli in the ruck??? Are you effing serious??? I’m just so over this idiotic stance of yours. It’s like you’re the one guy who still believes in Beta while the whole entire planet embraces VHS. Give up. You are wrong. Stop flogging a dead horse. It doesn’t work!!!!

Dancin' Douggy
21-08-2021, 02:42 AM
I am firmly now in he sack Bevo camp

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 10:44 AM
I don’t know why people get so upset with suggestions of outing the coach. Why is he so protected? He does baffling things and clearly the group is broken. That has to fall on the coach.

I think his times up but at the very least we need a review and a coaching panel refresh. Let’s see what Bevo can do with some new heads and perhaps a senior advisor. A Mark Williams for example.

azabob
21-08-2021, 10:48 AM
We should back Beveridge.

We are in desperate need for someone who can stand up to him in the coaches box and at match committee.

Losing Brett Montgomery and Graham Lowe has been massive blows as they were not afraid to either question Bevo and in Lowe's case was Bevo's right hand man, his rock.

I like BT suggestion of promoting Sam Power to keep him in our organisation as it appears both Carlton and Collingwood will be looking for new GM of football.

We have needed fresh coaching ideas since 2017. I can't also help we let the two wrong blokes go in Joel Corey and Jordan Russell with the soft cap cuts.

If Jayime Graham misses the Collingwood coaches job we should make a play for him as a senior assistant coach.

azabob
21-08-2021, 10:52 AM
A more general question do you want the assistant coach to have ambition and desire to be a senior AFL coach?

From what I can gather our assistants are content being assistant coaches and don't have the desire to take the next step.

IMO you need a mix of people striving to be the best they can be and reach for that next level and others who are content with where they are at.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 11:05 AM
I don’t know why people get so upset with suggestions of outing the coach. Why is he so protected? He does baffling things and clearly the group is broken. That has to fall on the coach.

I think his times up but at the very least we need a review and a coaching panel refresh. Let’s see what Bevo can do with some new heads and perhaps a senior advisor. A Mark Williams for example.

I'm certainly not upset by the suggestions but it's not a decision I would make.
Regarding your question of why he is protected? He won us a flag after an extended drought so I understand why there is also reluctance for many to consider parting with him.

For all his quirks I still think he is right man for the job and I like a lot of Aza's suggestions and observations.
I think he needs a hard task master like Montgomery or Matthew Boyd in the coaching panel.

Grantysghost
21-08-2021, 11:08 AM
A more general question do you want the assistant coach to have ambition and desire to be a senior AFL coach?

From what I can gather our assistants are content being assistant coaches and don't have the desire to take the next step.

IMO you need a mix of people striving to be the best they can be and reach for that next level and others who are content with where they are at.

Really like this. Essendon have grabbed Caracella and Giansiracusa who both have senior ambitions.

Melbourne kind of went the other way with guys like McCartney, Williams, Richardson who have already been the head honcho but they had a young coach.

I like the idea of bringing someone in who will really disrupt things and keep Bevo pushing to be his innovative best.

Michael Voss? That type of guy. Or a Kinglsey etc. (what you said someone with ambition)

The Bulldogs Bite
21-08-2021, 11:18 AM
I think he needs a hard task master like Montgomery or Matthew Boyd in the coaching panel.

He had Monty and he didn't like another senior voice in the box. There's no chance he accepts that sort of setup.

I get it - Clarko wouldn't want Mitchell or someone over his shoulder either - but if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

At some point, Bevo needs to be accountable. This isn't just simply losing games; it's match selection, it's structure, it's gameplan, it's the never ending ruck crisis, it's putting elite mids as rucks, elite forwards as rucks, it's arrogance and the contempt he shows the media/fans by extension...

2016 was wonderful but it was almost six years ago. What has he done since? It's been diabolical, culminating in repeat EF exits and blowing a top 4 spot in 13 days.

Doc26
21-08-2021, 11:30 AM

I’m not in the sack Bevo camp at this time, and like your line of questioning with our assistants and Head of Football.

At face value, Hinkley seems comfortable with senior coaching aspirants in Voss, Montgomery and Bassett all under him, no doubt with Chris Davies as GM putting in place such a structure / culture that can be viable.

None of our assistants would be seen as legitimate candidates for a senior coaching position. When coupled with our lack of development in forward craft, development of an effective tap ruckman, or deployment of an effective plan B, both Ash Hansen and Steven King must finally come under review. Similarly Rohan Smith, whilst a great Bulldog person, has not left the Club since arriving from secondary school which can only restrict his vision and in what he can impart in the development of others if he hasn’t experienced football life in any other setting.

It is a reasonable question to ask if Bevo is not comfortable with being in a setting where he can be really challenged by well credentialed / senior coaching aspirants. He must harness this type of environment and Chris Grant in this regard should be ensuring that this is in place.

Aza I agree that the loss of Montgomery and Lowe was a set back in this regard.

Mantis
21-08-2021, 11:44 AM
The line coaches need to change. I do know that a former player was flabbergasted by the teachings of his line coach in the last few years of his career. Said as soon as the line coach left after addressing the players that he has a senior player within the group would stop the boys and say ‘this what we’re actually going to do’.

But Bevo is loyal beyond belief so not sure he’d be comfortable breaking up his team.

Vred
21-08-2021, 11:46 AM
The line coaches need to change. I do know that a former player was flabbergasted by the teachings of his line coach in the last few years of his career. Said as soon as the line coach left after addressing the players that he has a senior player within the group would stop the boys and say ‘this what we’re actually going to do’.

But Bevo is loyal beyond belief so not sure he’d be comfortable breaking up his team.

That is… So beyond worrying I don’t even know where to start.

I known Trengove has also had things to say about our line coaches over the years he was with us, didn’t realise it was that bad.

Grantysghost
21-08-2021, 12:06 PM
I'm in the keep Bevo camp. He certainly can coach.

From the outside looking in, coupled with certain information I get from time to time I do wonder if he has built himself a little empire now at the Dogs, where he is the omnipresent potentate of the Kennel. Maybe not of his own doing, maybe it's just evolved this way I mean winning that flag has to have imbued him with some sense of godliness!

He comes across as a very caring type; sensitive, emotional, loyal to a fault.

But he really doesn't like to be challenged.

We've seen it with Barrett for eg (maybe warranted but not professional), pretty much every press conference he picks a fight with one of the journos or scoffs at a question (that maybe some members wanted answered), has gone into battle with the AFL on multiple occasions this season (medi sub for one, boxing ban etc), bristled at the constant Jamarra questions.

He seems to have lost the thing that made him approachable. He seems angry and flat most of the time, and this has to have a flow on effect to the entire team.

I know speaking to one of the younger players recently they were reticent to approach him, "because he's the senior coach". I'm not sure that's healthy. Don't talk to the CEO just talk to his line managers (coaches).

Good leaders accept challenge and disruption, and are approachable and open.

I think Bevo is definitely a good leader, but maybe we need to just bring him down a bit from Mt. Lofty and get him back to being a bit more like the guy from St.Bedes, full of energy and ambition.

A new senior assistant in my opinion is the single most important off field move going into 2022, let's challenge from within and drive ourselves to ensure that the coaching department is working as it should.

comrade
21-08-2021, 12:19 PM

From the outside looking in, coupled with certain information I get from time to time I do wonder if he has built himself a little empire now at the Dogs, where he is the omnipresent potentate of the Kennel. Maybe not of his own doing, maybe it's just evolved this way I mean winning that flag has to have imbued him with some sense of godliness!

We've seen it with Barrett for eg (maybe warranted but not professional), pretty much every press conference he picks a fight with one of the journos or scoffs at a question (that maybe some members wanted answered), has gone into battle with the AFL on multiple occasions this season (medi sub for one, boxing ban etc), bristled at the constant Jamarra questions.

He seems to have lost the thing that made him approachable. He seems angry and flat most of the time, and this has to have a flow on effect to the entire team.

I know speaking to one of the younger players recently they were reticent to approach him, "because he's the senior coach". I'm not sure that's healthy. Don't talk to the CEO just talk to his line managers (coaches).

I think Bevo is definitely a good leader, but maybe we need to just bring him down a bit from Mt. Lofty and get him back to being a bit more like the guy from St.Bedes, full of energy and ambition.

A new senior assistant in my opinion is the single most important off field move going into 2022, let's challenge from within and drive ourselves to ensure that the coaching department is working as it should.

If Ameet is somehow reading this, listen and take action!

Jeanette54
21-08-2021, 12:21 PM
I believe this thread to be a total over reaction to a couple of recent losses, that last by just three points.

From any perspective, up until round 20, the home and away season has shown a measure of success that, historically, few other Bulldog teams have ever come close to achieving. Most of the current angst revolves around three things.

a) Current loss of form.
b) Lack of KPD's.
c) Lack of effective ruck options.
d) Lack of VFL games restricting player development.

Surely the fact that Bevo has managed to conjure up a record of success this season in spite of b, c & d is to his (and the team's) credit. And there is no doubt if Bailey Smith had of nailed his last on goal shot, or if the umpire had not called Young's last handball a throw, we would have been having a totally different conversation this morning.

Get a grip people, It was a three point loss against the hottest team in the AFL over the last five or six weeks.

It is also an issue of unfortunate timing. As the interminable lock-downs, and disruption of our once ordered lives, continue to effect society football has began to be subjected to increased focus to many of us. This has also amplified the hand wringing and driving the witch hunt.

Don't turn this club into a Collingwood or a Richmond, where they traditionally eat their own.

Bevo and his team have got us to a third straight finals berth, in spite of the vagrancies of the season. We might even (still) have the double chance. All is not lost, and lets not loose sight of our good season to date. Difficulties notwithstanding.

GVGjr
21-08-2021, 12:27 PM
I believe this thread to be a total over reaction to a couple of recent losses, that last by three points.

From any perspective, up until round 20, the home and away season has shown a measure of success that, historically, few other Bulldog teams have ever come close to achieving. Most of the current angst revolves around three things.

a) Current loss of form.
b) Lack of KPD's.

Surely the fact that Bevo has managed to conjure up a record of success this season in spite of b, c & d is to his (and the team's) credit. And there is no doubt if Bailey Smith had of nailed his last on goal shot, or if the umpire had not called Young's last handball a throw, we would have been having a totally different conversation this morning.

Get a grip people, It was a three point loss against the hottest team in the AFL over the last five or six weeks.

It is also an issue of unfortunate timing. As the interminable lock-downs, and disruption of our once ordered lives, continue to effect society football has began to be subjected to increased focus to many of us. This has also amplified the hand wringing and further driving the witch hunt.

Don't turn this club into a Collingwood or a Richmond, where they traditionally eat their own.

Bevo and his team have got us to a third straight finals berth, in spite of the vagrancies of the season. We might even (still) have the double chance. All is not lost, and lets not loose sight of our good season to date. Difficulties notwithstanding.

Great post however,

We aren't the only team impacted by the lack of VFL games and we have practice game against the Swans
We aren't really developing KP players and that is on us.
We have a strange set-up in the ruck and that is on us.

I think Bevo is fine but I understand why some are questioning things. We were a great team all year and it's up to him and the footy department to get us back on track next week.

bornadog
21-08-2021, 12:33 PM
I believe this thread to be a total over reaction to a couple of recent losses, that last by just three points.

a) Current loss of form.
b) Lack of KPD's.

It is also an issue of unfortunate timing. As the interminable lock-downs, and disruption of our once ordered lives, continue to effect society football has began to be subjected to increased focus to many of us. This has also amplified the hand wringing and driving the witch hunt.

Agree, total overreaction made on emotion rather than logic.

comrade
21-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Unlucky that we’re the only club impacted by Covid and lockdowns.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 12:37 PM
I don't think sacking a coach who has won a flag, rebuilt and gotten us to three consecutive finals campaigns and almost top four is the way to go.

It surprises me what people want. I mean everyone acknowledges we have list deficiencies that take time to remedy, but expect us to play as if we don't have list deficiencies that take time to remedy. It's paradoxical.

We could have played Sweet and not have allowed Bont to take some ruck contests, however if we did and lost last night which let's be honest would have been a reasonable chance of happening (what if Port kicked straighter), we'd be exactly where we are now suggesting the coach be sacked.

Some fresh voices in the box is a great idea and it's something we've been calling out for over time. Bevo's loyalty to people in this case is hurting us, but overall it's a good trait for a coach to have.

No better coach is going to come to us after we sack a coach that's won a flag, rebuilt and made three finals appearances in a row, kept the team up for most of the season in the face of rolling injuries. Sacking him would be a silly thing to do.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2021, 12:38 PM

Some good thoughts here. Well done. Our form over the past 6 weeks would suggest we have become bereft of new ideas.
Without Bruce the forward line is woeful.
Lew Young has played half a game in the ruck against GCS for the year and emerges as our number one ruck man in our most important game last night for the year. Our lack of leg speed was most obvious last night with PA being much quicker.
To watch Hannan and Bont forced to ruck was embarrassing.
PA is far better equipped with its Assistant coaches with the likes of Michael Voss and Brett Montgomery who was highly regarded as an Assistant at the WB. There isn’t any shadow of doubt in my opinion that a urgent review of the MC is needed at season’s end.
The final nail in the coffin last night was in the last quarter when the experience and class of Boak Wines and Gray saw them slam on 3 goals in ten minutes of play. Our mid trumps in Bont Libba and Macrae have tailed off having carried the team for most of the season. Full marks however to Dale Williams and Duryea last night who kept us in the game for a long time.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 12:47 PM
There are list deficiencies and then there is an absolutely stacked midfield that is severely underperforming. And this isn’t the first season where that’s happened.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 12:49 PM
There are list deficiencies and then there is an absolutely stacked midfield that is severely underperforming. And this isn’t the first season where that’s happened.

When was the last time we had a midfield like this? From what I can remember of the last few seasons is that we had less quality in the midfield and less quality forward (injuries notwithstanding).

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 01:16 PM
When was the last time we had a midfield like this? From what I can remember of the last few seasons is that we had less quality in the midfield and less quality forward (injuries notwithstanding).

We’ve only added Treloar this year. Even before that our midfield was touted as one of, if not the best in the comp. Purely on paper though. I think they’re either too one dimensional or they’re not getting the coaching they need to improve. Honestly, apart from Bonts pure natural talent, not many have made much improvement from their first season levels. Skills don’t improve. Off the ball work and concentration doesn’t improve. That’s where I start believing they aren’t getting the right coaching they need.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 01:26 PM
We’ve only added Treloar this year. Even before that our midfield was touted as one of, if not the best in the comp. Purely on paper though. I think they’re either too one dimensional or they’re not getting the coaching they need to improve. Honestly, apart from Bonts pure natural talent, not many have made much improvement from their first season levels. Skills don’t improve. Off the ball work and concentration doesn’t improve. That’s where I start believing they aren’t getting the right coaching they need.

Come on. I know we're emotional but really? Bont is the only midfielder who's improved from his first season of footy?

When they do all of the things we know they can do, is the coaching OK or is it just lucky? Or is it more likely they are getting the coaching, and it's the discipline and concentration, or effort that drops?

I'm all for a review, I'm all for changes to be made. But all of this has to be executed off the back of cool headedness and facts. Not emotion and anger.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 01:43 PM
Come on. I know we're emotional but really? Bont is the only midfielder who's improved from his first season of footy?

When they do all of the things we know they can do, is the coaching OK or is it just lucky? Or is it more likely they are getting the coaching, and it's the discipline and concentration, or effort that drops?

I'm all for a review, I'm all for changes to be made. But all of this has to be executed off the back of cool headedness and facts. Not emotion and anger.

How long do we accept these performances until we decide to shake things up? I assess performances for a whole season. If we just look at when we were playing well, then we’ll just keep repeating the cycle that’s been going since 2017. The last 3 weeks have been diabolical. On the back of a piss weak effort in the EF final last year which was on the back of an obliteration in the EF the year before which was on the back of two shithouse seasons after winning a flag. How many tokens does Bevo get?

jeemak
21-08-2021, 01:51 PM
How long do we accept these performances until we decide to shake things up? I assess performances for a whole season. If we just look at when we were playing well, then we’ll just keep repeating the cycle that’s been going since 2017.

So if we look at the whole season, with fifteen wins and a percentage of 132.8 I would argue with some confidence that we have improved on the last two years. If we win a final then again, we have absolutely improved.

You say you look at a whole season but that's not coming through, because you seem to be focusing on the now. And that's completely fine. However coaching can't be OK when we're winning outside of other variables and then not when we're losing outside of other variable. It's more complicated than that.

We've had clear deficiencies in years past and we have them again this year. If Bevo is saying to Sam Power please don't get me a competent first ruck and by gosh don't get me another key defender, then up against the wall for him. But I don't think he'd be saying that. He's not that eccentric.

SonofScray
21-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Cool heads have prevailed for long enough.

The reality is, the coach won a flag and for the overwhelming majority of the remainder of his tenure has taken a team who are capable of insanely good football to mediocre, or unsatisfying heights. He is a good coach, but has been challenged by rule changes and personnel and keeps coming up short.

Win a final and he buys some time. Hopefully he has two cracks at it.
Win two finals and there’s egg on my face that I’ll gladly consume.

If not…..spill some blood.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2021, 02:00 PM
So if we look at the whole season, with fifteen wins and a percentage of 132.8 I would argue with some confidence that we have improved on the last two years. If we win a final then again, we have absolutely improved.

You say you look at a whole season but that's not coming through, because you seem to be focusing on the now. And that's completely fine. However coaching can't be OK when we're winning outside of other variables and then not when we're losing outside of other variable. It's more complicated than that.

We've had clear deficiencies in years past and we have them again this year. If Bevo is saying to Sam Power please don't get me a competent first ruck and by gosh don't get me another key defender, then up against the wall for him. But I don't think he'd be saying that. He's not that eccentric.

Sorry, I meant I review the end result. Poor choice of words.

List deficiencies are a major issue and oversight of years prior, but I’m more concerned about internal progress. This midfield should not be getting dominated the way it has the last three weeks and seasons before.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Sorry, I meant I review the end result. Poor choice of words.

List deficiencies are a major issue and oversight of years prior, but I’m more concerned about internal progress.

Roger. That makes sense.

Bruce's knee couldn't have gone at a worse time, and his future has become cloudy unfortunately. That means we need a ruck, a key defender and possibly a key forward. Add to that a natural small to medium sized forward with a bit of pace.......it's going to be tough to tick all of those boxes.

SonofScray
22-08-2021, 08:57 AM
Have changed my mind, again, for now.

Things I like about Bevo and his footy:

1 the defensive system is robust, I love when the men of mayhem clicks in and we squeeze, smother and suffocate.
2 the ceiling is perfect football, fast, cohesive play.

I don’t like:
1 he is verbose
2 stubborn
3 slow to react

But whatever my feelings for him are, there’s never any wavering in my hatred for the Essendon Olympic Committee. Bevo has an opportunity play a part in doing something I’ve always wanted to see us do, inflict serious trauma on these scum rats in a final. It’d give me great joy to see our Club eviscerate whatever embers of hope are starting to emerge across the Maribyrnong. To put these arseholes in their rightful place, which is eternal ineptitude. They shouldn’t even be in the league anymore, let alone a chance to win their first final in yonks.

The schadenfreude I’d get from this victory will tip the scales back in favour of Bevo. Credits in the bank sort of stuff. I’d be:

1 grateful
2 happy to accept that at 15 H&A wins and at least one finals win, there’s been improvements
3 relaxed

The flip side can be gleaned from my previous commentary.

comrade
22-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Have changed my mind, again, for now.

Things I like about Bevo and his footy:

1 the defensive system is robust, I love when the men of mayhem clicks in and we squeeze, smother and suffocate.
2 the ceiling is perfect football, fast, cohesive play.

I don’t like:
1 he is verbose
2 stubborn
3 slow to react

But whatever my feelings for him are, there’s never any wavering in my hatred for the Essendon Olympic Committee. Bevo has an opportunity play a part in doing something I’ve always wanted to see us do, inflict serious trauma on these scum rats in a final. It’d give me great joy to see our Club eviscerate whatever embers of hope are starting to emerge across the Maribyrnong. To put these arseholes in their rightful place, which is eternal ineptitude. They shouldn’t even be in the league anymore, let alone a chance to win their first final in yonks.

The schadenfreude I’d get from this victory will tip the scales back in favour of Bevo. Credits in the bank sort of stuff. I’d be:

1 grateful
2 happy to accept that at 15 H&A wins and at least one finals win, there’s been improvements
3 relaxed

The flip side can be gleaned from my previous commentary.

I can get down with all of this.

Big week for Bevo.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2021, 10:41 AM
I’m definitely in the keep Bevo camp.

Would be interested in getting a fresh face in the group though. I wonder if Teague will want a break, or will be keen to stay involved in a coaching role? He could be an interesting type to add. Yes, limited success in W/Ls, but has carried himself relatively well as a senior coach and has plenty of experience.

Matty Boyd coming back to the Dogs has a bit of romance about it too.

Bulldog4life
22-08-2021, 12:32 PM
At the start of the year I had a pass mark for Bevo was to make fnals and win one. Bevo is on target.

GVGjr
22-08-2021, 12:40 PM
At the start of the year I had a pass mark for Bevo was to make fnals and win one. Bevo is on target.

And I think that is a reasonable level of expectation given the strength of our list and keeping Dunkley and adding Treloar.

I typically start every year wanting us to never lose two games in a row. Unlit the last few weeks we were right on track to achieve that.

SonofScray
22-08-2021, 02:05 PM

That was a reasonable target and still is. 2 finals would have been par based on season form.

Bullies
22-08-2021, 02:27 PM

We also need a review into high performance and medical. Our injury list is *!*!*!*!ed every year and recovery times have been stupid long this season (Treloar and Martin prime examples). Martin was smashed and beaten up before we got him. only played 8 games last year as well.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Martin was smashed and beaten up before we got him. only played 8 games last year as well.

His body is just about stuffed and we got him in pure desperation.

Bullies
22-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Win this week and we are back amongst it and on par with the teams who lose the Qualifying Final.

Beside Clarko there is not a great deal of options out there. Geelong and Port have stuck with their coaches and they have one flag between them over the past 10 years.

Would rather be in our position than a lot of the other clubs.

Agreed he needs to get someone in to challenge him rather than yes men but this is something the club need to do. He needs to get back to the basics this week of picking horses for courses as there is no tomorrow.

Vred
22-08-2021, 02:53 PM
Win this week and we are back amongst it and on par with the teams who lose the Qualifying Final.

Beside Clarko there is not a great deal of options out there. Geelong and Port have stuck with their coaches and they have one flag between them over the past 10 years.

Would rather be in our position than a lot of the other clubs.

Agreed he needs to get someone in to challenge him rather than yes men but this is something the club need to do. He needs to get back to the basics this week of picking horses for courses as there is no tomorrow.

Alright, let me pose this question to everybody then.

Assistant Coaches, who would everybody replace?

I'd be getting rid of King, Smith and Hansen and if we were going to go full cut, probably getting rid of Chris Grant and promoting Sam Power to Head of Football.

I'd be looking at Teague, MBoyd and if we could somehow get Mont back from PAFL, to replace the out-going three.

Complete clean out of assistant coaches should 100% be on the cards for our offseason, although, who knows what their contracts look like.

azabob
22-08-2021, 03:00 PM
All assistant coaches are in contact for next year.
Our assistants are always in contract

comrade
22-08-2021, 03:01 PM

I'd be getting rid of King, Smith and Hansen and if we were going to go full cut, probably getting rid of Chris Grant and promoting Sam Power to Head of Football.

I'd be looking at Teague, MBoyd and if we could somehow get Mont back from PAFL, to replace the out-going three.

Complete clean out of assistant coaches should 100% be on the cards for our offseason, although, who knows what their contracts look like.

Bevo has spent all year complaining about how hard it’s been for the coaching group and all the extra work they’ve taken on. Given he is loyal to a fault, he won’t be moving anyone on.

Vred
22-08-2021, 03:03 PM
All assistant coaches are in contact for next year.
Our assistants are always in contract

So.. zero changes happening during the off season to coaching panel, staff, assistants, whatever.

Far out...

Bullies
22-08-2021, 03:03 PM

Complete clean out of assistant coaches should 100% be on the cards for our offseason, although, who knows what their contracts look like. Monty would never come back while Bevo is there

bornadog
22-08-2021, 03:10 PM
I think Bevo has been a great coach and no way I would like to see him go. This is the 5th year we have played finals, so he has given the players every chance to go out there and win. You are only as good as the players that are available.

This year we have once more had to endure playing almost every player on the list due to the constant injuries. Bevo some how has manufactured 15 wins and a finals berth. I have no doubt, that if Bevo had the same luck with injuries as Melbourne, we would be sitting pretty on the top of the ladder.

GVGjr
22-08-2021, 03:24 PM

I can't see us making any changes and Aza has pointed out all our guys are contracted but I do think ideally we should make one change and the 3 you have suggested are great options.

mjp
22-08-2021, 04:14 PM
...probably getting rid of Chris Grant and promoting Sam Power to Head of Football.

I love Sam Power as well.

But.

If the ruck is an issue - and our response was to get Stef Martin who was average and injury prone last year and has been equally injury prone this year (and don't tell me this is Monday morning q-backing, I pointed it out when we were recruiting him) - and the list is Sam's responsibility, then...

I just don't understand why Bevo is under such heavy scrutiny - a lot of it around the ruck - when we really don't have one on our list who could help us right now...yet we are saying Sam P should be promoted...

I don't get it.

On the assistant coaches question, how would we even know if they are doing a good job or not? 3 weeks ago we were on top so I'm going to say they have been pretty good...

Again - I don't understand all of the angst (and I know I'm in the minority) but are we seriously proposing sacking a premiership coach who has us playing finals for the 3rd year in a row whilst also having used the second highest number of players of any side in the comp?

I get that he can be frustrating and I get that the seeming team selection bingo game gets frustrating but he puts runs on the board.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2021, 04:38 PM
I suppose it’s just the glass half full vs empty view. I mean some look at our midfield and talent on the list and think we should be accomplishing more. Making finals 3 yrs in a row is great but we just scraped into them the last two years and were meekly pushed aside in the first week in both. Now we’ve been top 2 all year and have blown a double chance in 3 games of footy. If we’re dumped in week 1 again, is that really a success?

Bevo hasn’t rated the ruck for years so we’re behind the 8 ball with getting one due to that.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 04:52 PM
I'm a Bevo backer as stated above.

But I guess I look at the Lions who I think we probably match or have a superior list to.

Fagan has made top 4 three years running from 15th in 2018.

Second, Second, fourth.

I reckon our list is capable of similar. Agree injuries have been a constant issue but the ruck blind spot has been there since 2017 and it's not been addressed.

I'm sure the head coach has a say in recruiting?

I'll keep my powder dry until after the Essendon game but I'm starting to have some doubts creep in that weren't there before.

jeemak
22-08-2021, 05:59 PM
See I don't know how you can look at the Lions and suggest they're not working with a more balanced list, with probably just as much established talent.

Am I overrating them?

Rocco Jones
22-08-2021, 06:23 PM
I love Sam Power as well.

But.

If the ruck is an issue - and our response was to get Stef Martin who was average and injury prone last year and has been equally injury prone this year (and don't tell me this is Monday morning q-backing, I pointed it out when we were recruiting him) - and the list is Sam's responsibility, then...

I just don't understand why Bevo is under such heavy scrutiny - a lot of it around the ruck - when we really don't have one on our list who could help us right now...yet we are saying Sam P should be promoted...

I don't get it.

On the assistant coaches question, how would we even know if they are doing a good job or not? 3 weeks ago we were on top so I'm going to say they have been pretty good...

Again - I don't understand all of the angst (and I know I'm in the minority) but are we seriously proposing sacking a premiership coach who has us playing finals for the 3rd year in a row whilst also having used the second highest number of players of any side in the comp?

I get that he can be frustrating and I get that the seeming team selection bingo game gets frustrating but he puts runs on the board.

Very well put.

Not saying Bevo is faultless, I have my issues with him but let's look at a quick(-ish) year by year analysis.

2015- a huge tick. It's kind of forgotten compared to 2016 but what a job? We have had our bleak moments as a club, but Blackobter 2015 was bleak even by our standards. To turn that around, make the finals and more than that, inject real hope, massive.

2016- second flag in club history. First one for 62 years. Pretty big tick.

2017- very disappointing. Definitely failed big time. As bad as 2015 was good? More or less for mine.

2018- another disappointing one. Not as bad as 2017 but a failed season despite promising form later in the season.

2019- finals, first round exit. I think positive overall to get back into finals. Wasn't over the moon with the season, the performance in the final sucked. But overall more good than bad.

2020- first covid season. Hard to be too tough anyway but we made the finals. Kinda bang on expectations.

2021- we finish highest in Bevo's tenure but end regular season as poorly as you can really. Overall when looking at expectations at start of year, I think week 1 finals exist is first layer of failure. Winning one final about benchmark.

Imagine saying in October 2014, we'd hire a guy. Make finals, then win flag, miss finals for 2 years, then make finals 3 years in a row and a large portion of fans want our coach gone. I know it's not as simple as that and I am not attacking people for being frustrated or even just wanting him gone but wow. Amazing how things can change.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:06 PM
See I don't know how you can look at the Lions and suggest they're not working with a more balanced list, with probably just as much established talent.

Am I overrating them?

Maybe I'm over rating us. Balance maybe, mids probably equal or we are in front, same with forwards. They've got us in defence and I think we've got them in overall depth.

Without really looking!

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Very well put.

Not saying Bevo is faultless, I have my issues with him but let's look at a quick(-ish) year by year analysis.

2015- a huge tick. It's kind of forgotten compared to 2016 but what a job? We have had our bleak moments as a club, but Blackobter 2015 was bleak even by our standards. To turn that around, make the finals and more than that, inject real hope, massive.

2017- very disappointing. Definitely failed big time. As bad as 2015 was good? More or less for mine.

2018- another disappointing one. Not as bad as 2017 but a failed season despite promising form later in the season.

2019- finals, first round exit. I think positive overall to get back into finals. Wasn't over the moon with the season, the performance in the final sucked. But overall more good than bad.

2020- first covid season. Hard to be too tough anyway but we made the finals. Kinda bang on expectations.

2021- we finish highest in Bevo's tenure but end regular season as poorly as you can really. Overall when looking at expectations at start of year, I think week 1 finals exist is first layer of failure. Winning one final about benchmark.

Imagine saying in October 2014, we'd hire a guy. Make finals, then win flag, miss finals for 2 years, then make finals 3 years in a row and a large portion of fans want our coach gone. I know it's not as simple as that and I am not attacking people for being frustrated or even just wanting him gone but wow. Amazing how things can change.

I guess for me it's nice to make finals and that's a great summary.

But the aim is to win finals right? Should we be judging everything against our historical performances or the expectation of the now? Of this team?

I'd have 2020 as a fail personally. After the ignominy of our 2019 exit I expected to beat the Saints after we talked big about how we d learnt. Yes covid agree made it tough.

I'm in between most posters I think (somebody join me!) where I don't think it's dire but I feel we should be doing better with our list profile.

Agree with you we beat the Dons and it's a pass / minimum expectation for me.

SonofScray
22-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Eagle
Hole in One
Mulligan
5 over
Double Bogey
Bogey
Bogey^ (projected)

MrMahatma
22-08-2021, 07:32 PM
Maybe I'm over rating us. Balance maybe, mids probably equal or we are in front, same with forwards. They've got us in defence and I think we've got them in overall depth.

Without really looking!

I think Lions have more balance and have us in defence.

That said… you think watching us kick for goal is frustrating? The Lions make us look like a team of Tory Dicksons! They’re awful and capable of horrific conversion.

MrMahatma
22-08-2021, 07:43 PM
We won 15 games this year so far…. Including beating Melb, Brisbane, Port through the season. We had horrible injuries and we’re in a slump, clearly at the wrong time of the season.

There’s no reason we can’t win the flag. We have a good, healthy list for this time of the season. Apart from Martin they should all be as fit as they’re gonna be. We need to win 4 matches, likely most of them against teams we’ve already beaten this season, and we win the flag.

I get that the last 3 weeks have been annoying… but:

1. We kick straight and we beat Ess.
2. Hawks beat us legit.
3. We lost by 2 points against Port.

The losses have stacked up but is it completely inconceivable that we’re able to find our best form again?

Bevo explained before the match that:
1. Martin wasn’t fit enough to choose on Friday. Maybe he will be after the scratch match.
2. JUH can only play reduced minutes at the moment and so wasn’t, and likely won’t, be picked in finals.
3. Shaq is in the mix (sounded likely to play) and Gardner is prob underdone too.

So, given all that, was this week’s team that crazy?

I get we want:
1. To see our players improve set shot accuracy
2. To find sense in selection (I think Bevo has been explaining a lot more of late)
3. There’s a desire for “new thinking”

But… 15 wins is good. Finals are ours.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 07:45 PM
We won 15 games this year so far…. Including beating Melb, Brisbane, Port through the season. We had horrible injuries and we’re in a slump, clearly at the wrong time of the season.

There’s no reason we can’t win the flag. We have a good, healthy list for this time of the season. Apart from Martin they should all be as fit as they’re gonna be. We need to win 4 matches, likely most of them against teams we’ve already beaten this season, and we win the flag.

I get that the last 3 weeks have been annoying… but:

1. We kick straight and we beat Ess.
2. Hawks beat us legit.
3. We lost by 2 points against Port.

The losses have stacked up but is it completely inconceivable that we’re able to find our best form again?

Bevo explained before the match that:
1. Martin wasn’t fit enough to choose on Friday. Maybe he will be after the scratch match.
2. JUH can only play reduced minutes at the moment and so wasn’t, and likely won’t, be picked in finals.
3. Shaq is in the mix (sounded likely to play) and Gardner is prob underdone too.

So, given all that, was this week’s team that crazy?

I get we want:
1. To see our players improve set shot accuracy
2. To find sense in selection (I think Bevo has been explaining a lot more of late)
3. There’s a desire for “new thinking”

But… 15 wins is good. Finals are ours.

Great post Mr M.

jeemak
22-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Good post Mr M, and also a good point about Bevo often explaining our situation but it not cutting through.

jeemak
22-08-2021, 08:25 PM

Without really looking!

It's interesting, because I would have thought they have us for quality and balance at each end, and we have them for midfielders.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 08:26 PM
It's interesting, because I would have thought they have us for quality and balance at each end, and we have them for midfielders.

They also have a decent ruckman

jeemak
22-08-2021, 08:27 PM
They also have a decent ruckman

Really good point.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 08:32 PM
Really good point.

It's a miracle we beat them ;)

jeemak
22-08-2021, 08:42 PM
It's a miracle we beat them ;)

Might have something to do with the coaching.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2021, 08:44 PM
I guess for me it's nice to make finals and that's a great summary.

But the aim is to win finals right? Should we be judging everything against our historical performances or the expectation of the now? Of this team?

I'd have 2020 as a fail personally. After the ignominy of our 2019 exit I expected to beat the Saints after we talked big about how we d learnt. Yes covid agree made it tough.

I'm in between most posters I think (somebody join me!) where I don't think it's dire but I feel we should be doing better with our list profile.

Agree with you we beat the Dons and it's a pass / minimum expectation for me.

I mean, I’m with you. I agree with that. I suppose I’m a little further south though in that I’m at the end of my tether with Bevo and this group. It’s too many chances now IMO and too much evidence of failing in the same manner. So, I’m not giving up on the whole thing, but I want to see some actual changes made. Be it a review, assistant coaching setup, appointment of a senior coach advisor or a big trade to get in some needed positional strength. I want to win the whole damn thing. Not certain individual games or a certain total of games in a season.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Eagle
Hole in One
Mulligan
5 over
Double Bogey
Bogey
Bogey^ (projected)

Haha I like it but a flag is like -20 off the card.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Might have something to do with the coaching.

Fagan is pretty good, but he couldn't get past our stacked list!

jeemak
22-08-2021, 09:25 PM
Fagan is pretty good, but he couldn't get past our stacked list!

Haha, touche.