BOG Martin.

jeemak
22-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Dogs by 37
FG - Weightman
BOG - Hunter

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:29 PM
I was at the dogs/hawks game and couldn’t believe how bad we were. Played poorly and played the ground poorly, against a bottom team with half their best team missing. We are coming up Essendon, playing with belief, in front of a cauldron of their fans. I so want to pick us, but I just don’t see it. Essendon will only need to kick 10 goals to probably win.

Essendon by 29 points
1st goal - English
Bog- Macrae

azabob
22-08-2021, 09:31 PM
I was at the dogs/hawks game and couldn’t believe how bad we were. Played poorly and played the ground poorly, against a bottom team with half their best team missing. We are coming up Essendon, playing with belief, in front of a cauldron of their fans. I so want to pick us, but I just don’t see it. Essendon will only need to kick 9 goals to probably win.

Essendon by 29 points
1st goal - English
Bog- Macrae

Hawks play tassie better than any other team. They beat Brisbane there a couple of weeks before us.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Hawks play tassie better than any other team. They beat Brisbane there a couple of weeks before us.

They did yes, lead by 40 points at one stage. Bris got it back to 14 or so..look at Bris now.
I so wanna be hopeful Azabob

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2021, 09:34 PM
Bombers also beat the hawks there right?

Sedat
22-08-2021, 09:37 PM
We should bash them to smithereens like GWS did to us 2 years ago. I hope we hunt them down and destroy them - we are playing for keeps, and I hope we take that utterly uncompromising mindset to the game, which frankly we haven't done in a final for 5 years. Last year againat the Saints was almost as embarrassing as 2019 against GWS. Atonement starts next week.

DOG GOD
22-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Correct.

SonofScray
22-08-2021, 09:41 PM
We should bash them to smithereens like GWS did to us 2 years ago. I hope we hunt then down and destroy them - we are playing for keeps, and I hope we take that utterly uncompromising mindset to the game, which frankly we haven't done in a final for 5 years. Last year againat the Saints was almost as embarrassing as 2019 against GWS. Atonement starts next week.
That’s give me great pleasure, but we won’t. Our team don’t have that in them.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Yes it's the only time the Dons have played there and it sold out in record time.

Eastdog
22-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Hope as many of our Tassie based supporters can get there. Cheer hard DOG GOD.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 10:46 PM
That’s give me great pleasure, but we won’t. Our team don’t have that in them.

I don't agree, I think we are a lot tougher now with the boys more mature.

bornadog
22-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Dogs by 24

First Goal Naughton

BOG Bont

Scraggers
22-08-2021, 11:17 PM
We’ve now experienced the fly in - fly out format at Tasmania (new to us when we played Hawks)
We’ve played Essendon in form.

We’ve leaned from both of these experiences (hopefully)

If we pick a team to play against Essendon in Tassie, we win comfortably. If we pick a team based on reputation, we go home early.

Danjul
22-08-2021, 11:32 PM
We’ve now experienced the fly in - fly out format at Tasmania (new to us when we played Hawks)
We’ve played Essendon in form.

We’ve leaned from both of these experiences (hopefully)

If we pick a team to play against Essendon in Tassie, we win comfortably. If we pick a team based on reputation, we go home early.
Disagree with this. Essendon was pretty hopeless. The Dogs dominated everything except the two things that gave Essendon the win.

Ruck and clearances. Draper and Wright had twice as many hitouts as English and they were twice as clean. This got the ball close to goal quickly and they converted.

In reality we threw the game away with poor forward craft.

Stop the quality entries into Essendon’s forward line from ruck contests and kick goals from our own entries, and a comfortable win should happen.

Grantysghost
22-08-2021, 11:57 PM
Sounds fair :

----------

The Dons beat Hawthorn in Launceston earlier in the season, with Rutten excited by the prospect of support again next weekend.

”The way our supporters down there and our members showed up to that game, it felt like a home game for us. We’re really encouraging all our Essendon supporters down there to get around, really support the game, which I know they will,” Rutten said.

---------

Reverse GWS Prelim. Suppose we can't complain we had the good side of it once.

But...this really does seem a little contrived.

comrade
23-08-2021, 12:01 AM
Sounds fair :

----------

The Dons beat Hawthorn in Launceston earlier in the season, with Rutten excited by the prospect of support again next weekend.

”The way our supporters down there and our members showed up to that game, it felt like a home game for us. We’re really encouraging all our Essendon supporters down there to get around, really support the game, which I know they will,” Rutten said.

---------

Reverse GWS Prelim. Suppose we can't complain we had the good side of it once.

But...this really does seem a little contrived.

Let’s piss on the AFL’s parade again.

SonofScray
23-08-2021, 12:09 AM
I don't agree, I think we are a lot tougher now with the boys more mature.

We are tougher, that’s fair.
We just aren’t and aggressive, in your face team that are going to really get up in their grill.

comrade
23-08-2021, 12:15 AM
We are tougher, that’s fair.
We just aren’t and aggressive, in your face team that are going to really get up in their grill.

There was a bit of it on show against the Demons the 2nd time around. Getting into Harmes and making sure he didn’t have it easy on Libba.

Need to harness that mindset and unleash on the Bombers. They’re as meek as they come and will wilt if we really crank it up.

1eyedog
23-08-2021, 12:17 AM
I hope we win but I don't think we can I'm worried we're psychologically damaged.

Good teams have bad patches, bad quarters even bad games but they always manage to turn it around quickly. We've lost three critical games in a row and I'm outta hope.

The toxic nature of selections and our work rate runs too deep now.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2021, 12:22 AM
I hope we win but I don't think we can I'm worried we're psychologically damaged.

Good teams have bad patches, bad quarters even bad games but they always manage to turn it around quickly. We've lost three critical games in a row the toxic nature of selections and our work rate runs too deep now.

I'm outta hope.

Me too. There’s bad form and then there’s our last three weeks. We don’t look out of form. We look broken. We look lost. We look like we have no identity. We have no structure or cohesion. How can it go suddenly so bad? I’ve no idea. I hope I’m completely wrong on this. I hope I’ve completely misread it.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2021, 12:36 AM
I'm almost convinced we will start well.

But when the tide turns, I have no faith we won't roll over. I can see them raining goals on us quickly.

jazzadogs
23-08-2021, 01:18 AM

Good teams have bad patches, bad quarters even bad games but they always manage to turn it around quickly. We've lost three critical games in a row and I'm outta hope.

I'm psychologically damaged, so I don't blame the team for feeling the same (although I wish they didn't). They're only human, and I feel that as a club we have not coped with the recent lockdown. Maybe I am bringing them in to my own experiences too much, but I have really struggled the last few weeks and the Dogs performances have been icing on the cake. Once the siren sounded on Friday night, I logged off, had a cry about the shit situation we're in, stayed in bed without any technology on Saturday and have emerged from my hibernation today.

I'm genuinely not sure that I can cope with watching the game live on Sunday. I really hope that I'll want to watch the replay.

Bullies
23-08-2021, 08:39 AM
If we can't beat Essendon where ever the game is then we don't deserved to be there. We have put ourselves in this position.

They are young and inexperienced side so we should be able to take advantage of them..

We have close to our best side now so no excuses. Dunks and Trealor have had a few games now. Libber wont get tagged as Bombers don't tag. Wright could not possibly have another 7 goal like last time. Martin in the ruck will make a difference and the on ballers will be more accountable in the middle. They should have learnt from the last game the way Essendon move the ball in the middle. They also don't have any accountability in the middle and only know one way.

Win this and we are back in it and on par with those teams who lost the Qualifying Final.

mjp
23-08-2021, 10:09 AM
Disagree with this. Essendon was pretty hopeless. The Dogs dominated everything except the two things that gave Essendon the win.

Ruck and clearances. Draper and Wright had twice as many hitouts as English and they were twice as clean. This got the ball close to goal quickly and they converted.

In reality we threw the game away with poor forward craft.

Stop the quality entries into Essendon’s forward line from ruck contests and kick goals from our own entries, and a comfortable win should happen.

I don't think Essendon were 'HOPELESS' but I agree we were the better side that day...Peter Wright kicking bombs from outside 50m really sucked to life out of us as well - here's hoping we have a plan involving Alex Keath.

I agree with what you are saying about Draper and the ruck position...what do you think we can actually DO about it though? I'm really not certain we can expect Martin to come in off such a long break and play strong footy for 4-quarters and I think there is next to no chance Sweet is selected. So that means it is the Young/English combination and...well, I'm not sure what to do about Draper who plays the position with genuine aggression.

MrMahatma
23-08-2021, 10:16 AM
I reckon we’ll play Martin with view that:
1. Even at 70% he’ll be better than Young.
2. If we win, it gives us a better chance the week after cause he’ll have even more fitness.
3. Our mids need to get it done either way - with a break even ruck or losing ruck.

I certainly think our best chance of winning the flag is with Martin in, and the best way for that to happen is with him playing this week and getting continuity. We’ll need some luck either way…

Mofra
23-08-2021, 10:23 AM
I agree with what you are saying about Draper and the ruck position...what do you think we can actually DO about it though? I'm really not certain we can expect Martin to come in off such a long break and play strong footy for 4-quarters and I think there is next to no chance Sweet is selected. So that means it is the Young/English combination and...well, I'm not sure what to do about Draper who plays the position with genuine aggression.
If the choice is a 70% TOG Stef Martin vs an 85% TOG Lewie Young as a ruck against Draper & Wright... I'm backing Stef in.

There is zero chance a team with Alex Keath in it lets 2MP kick 7 goals again. He kept Charlie Dixon to Adam Morgan-type numbers.

English will worry their defender due to his sheer height. I'd be very tempted to get Marra in the side too as a 197cm player with the ability to get separation from his opponent and can kick straight will demand to have time put into him, regardless of how raw he is.

JJ sits on Hind on pain of immediate delisting.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Marra really should be selected.

Is he ready for big finals? No, but let's also not pretend this is a 'BIG' final. It's not. It's a game against an average side in good form who just made the 8. It's not a top 4 clash where we're genuine Premiership contenders. We're not.

Naughton has been one of our worst performing since returning from the concussion. Marra at least has a natural forward flair that arguably none besides Weightman actually have. If anything, it's another good learning curve for Marra because we'll need him in 2022.

comrade
23-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Is he ready for big finals? No, but let's also not pretend this is a 'BIG' final. It's not. It's a game against an average side in good form who just made the 8. It's not a top 4 clash where we're genuine Premiership contenders. We're not.

Naughton has been one of our worst performing since returning from the concussion. Marra at least has a natural forward flair that arguably none besides Weightman actually have. If anything, it's another good learning curve for Marra because we'll need him in 2022.

I've lost all faith in the 'hasn't got the tank' narrative for not picking players, when you have experienced guys handed a golden ticket and picked with minimal influence each week (JJ, Wood, Hannan).

bornadog
23-08-2021, 10:35 AM

I agree, give him the experience.

Naughton really is down in confidence is also not flying for the big marks like he was previously. We really need him to fire with Bruce missing.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2021, 10:38 AM
I agree, give him the experience.

Naughton really is down in confidence is also not flying for the big marks like he was previously. We really need him to fire with Bruce missing.

I think this is a really, really big game for Naughton personally.

He was dreadful in his first 2 finals. I know he got injured in the first one later on and then last year came into the EF under a cloud, but he simply cannot serve up the same type of performance (or what he's done since returning a few weeks ago) again on Sunday.

I love him, but he needs to make his mark in a big game and he needs to do it now.

comrade
23-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Marra had one relatively quiet game against Essendon and he’s immediately booted yet he generates shots on goal almost better than anyone else in our side.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Marra had one relatively quiet game against Essendon and he’s immediately booted yet he generates shots on goal almost better than anyone else in our side.

But did he take a speccy in the VFL six years ago? Or somehow win a Norm Smith playing out of position at half back?

Some rationality please.

Danjul
23-08-2021, 11:10 AM
I don't think Essendon were 'HOPELESS' but I agree we were the better side that day...Peter Wright kicking bombs from outside 50m really sucked to life out of us as well - here's hoping we have a plan involving Alex Keath.

If it was up to me I would select Martin in the ruck and Sweet at full forward as a replacement for Bruce.

Naughton is badly out of form and without a Big Bruce type of forward Essendon can afford to double team him again.

English is down on form and being able to concentrate on one aspect of his game, getting goals, should lift him.

Sweet’s presence means we can ‘nurse’ Martin and give him good breaks.

SweetÂ’s impact on the game (in our two critical weaknesses lately) would be far more positive than Hannan getting his usual 8 possessions and jumping around in the ruck. It would be worth an extra half dozen possessions for Bont, not being called on to perform miracles like last week (as in the final against GWS being in the ruck destroyed his game).

It is too late to say this wonÂ’t work. We have lost 50% of games in the last half of the season. We have proven what does not work.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Club have made a statement re the ground choice :

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1007244/launceston-the-right-finals-choice-for-bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs will play their Elimination Final against Essendon this Sunday at UTAS Stadium in Launceston, and they are more than comfortable with that decision.

The Bulldogs’ hierarchy worked with the AFL over the weekend to determine the venue for the game, with a number of factors taken into consideration before the call was made.

Dogs’ CEO Ameet Bains and Head of Football Chris Grant were heavily involved in the decision-making process with League headquarters, after the Club earned a ‘home’ final for finishing fifth on the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season.

The AFL had earlier told clubs there would be no finals held in Melbourne during the first week, due to the inability to have crowds at Victorian venues, and they would give the home teams the opportunity to put forward their stadium preference.

“We had initially explored the option of playing our first final at Adelaide Oval, however with Port Adelaide earning their home final and Melbourne choosing the same venue, we essentially had to look at alternatives,” Bains said.

“Launceston appealed to us for a number of reasons. It’s less arduous for the players given it’s a shorter flight, and the restrictions on AFL teams entering Tasmania are less stringent than in other states.

“It’s been a difficult season for our group with several games impacted by extended time on the road and multiple periods of hard isolation, including in the lead-up to last week’s Round 23 game. Our priority is to ensure our players face minimal disruption, so they can prepare for this final in the best way possible.

“We also have recent experience at UTAS Stadium, having played there in Round 22. Although we didn’t get the result we were after on that day, we will be much better for the experience of playing at the venue, and we have familiarity with the travel conditions.

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out crowd in Launceston.

“We remain confident about what we can achieve this year on-field, particularly for all of our fans here in Victoria who continue to do it extremely tough right now.”

mjp
23-08-2021, 12:37 PM
If it was up to me I would select Martin in the ruck and Sweet at full forward as a replacement for Bruce.

Can we agree there is ZERO % chance of that happening?

If we can agree on that, then let's try and work out what MIGHT happen!

bornadog
23-08-2021, 12:50 PM
Club have made a statement re the ground choice :

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1007244/launceston-the-right-finals-choice-for-bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs will play their Elimination Final against Essendon this Sunday at UTAS Stadium in Launceston, and they are more than comfortable with that decision.

The Bulldogs’ hierarchy worked with the AFL over the weekend to determine the venue for the game, with a number of factors taken into consideration before the call was made.

Dogs’ CEO Ameet Bains and Head of Football Chris Grant were heavily involved in the decision-making process with League headquarters, after the Club earned a ‘home’ final for finishing fifth on the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season.

The AFL had earlier told clubs there would be no finals held in Melbourne during the first week, due to the inability to have crowds at Victorian venues, and they would give the home teams the opportunity to put forward their stadium preference.

“We had initially explored the option of playing our first final at Adelaide Oval, however with Port Adelaide earning their home final and Melbourne choosing the same venue, we essentially had to look at alternatives,” Bains said.

“Launceston appealed to us for a number of reasons. It’s less arduous for the players given it’s a shorter flight, and the restrictions on AFL teams entering Tasmania are less stringent than in other states.

“It’s been a difficult season for our group with several games impacted by extended time on the road and multiple periods of hard isolation, including in the lead-up to last week’s Round 23 game. Our priority is to ensure our players face minimal disruption, so they can prepare for this final in the best way possible.

“We also have recent experience at UTAS Stadium, having played there in Round 22. Although we didn’t get the result we were after on that day, we will be much better for the experience of playing at the venue, and we have familiarity with the travel conditions.

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out crowd in Launceston.

“We remain confident about what we can achieve this year on-field, particularly for all of our fans here in Victoria who continue to do it extremely tough right now.”

I did tweet a please explain to Ameet, and he has responded and also with a personal DM.

I guess CovId restrictions has played a part.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Final 8 teams v each other in 2021

MELB 8-2 120.52%
SYD 6-3 109.37%
GWS 5-5 83.52%
BRIS 4-4 124.31%
WBD 4-5 104.46%
GEEL 4-5 96.49%
PORT 4-4 95.91%
ESS 1-8 79.07%

We know who Essendon's win was against :)

Surely they can't do it twice.

comrade
23-08-2021, 12:57 PM
So we bent over.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 12:57 PM

MELB 8-2 120.52%
SYD 6-3 109.37%
GWS 5-5 83.52%
BRIS 4-4 124.31%
WBD 4-5 104.46%
GEEL 4-5 96.49%
PORT 4-4 95.91%
ESS 1-8 79.07%

Just shows Melbourne should be hot favourites.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 01:02 PM
I did tweet a please explain to Ameet, and he has responded and also with a personal DM.

I guess CovId restrictions has played a part.

I think he missed a noun here, I'll fix it :

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out Essendon crowd in Launceston.

We did it against the Weagles in 2016 so a few Essendon folk should be nothing. Still grates though being our home game. But that's Covid.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 01:03 PM
So we bent over.

I'd say we didn't have much choice. Probably is better for the players the short trip?

bornadog
23-08-2021, 01:04 PM
I think he missed a noun here, I'll fix it :

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out Essendon crowd in Launceston.

We did it against the Weagles in 2016 so a few Essendon folk should be nothing. Still grates though being our home game. But that's Covid.

Essendon wankers are everywhere. Adelaide Essendon supporters would also be coming out in droves, so I don't think it will be a big factor.

I think handling the weather conditions will be more of a factor.

azabob
23-08-2021, 01:05 PM

MELB 8-2 120.52%
SYD 6-3 109.37%
GWS 5-5 83.52%
BRIS 4-4 124.31%
WBD 4-5 104.46%
GEEL 4-5 96.49%
PORT 4-4 95.91%
ESS 1-8 79.07%

Geelong's record surprised me considering the media had them favourites' for majority of the year.

We should be 6-3....

Danjul
23-08-2021, 01:06 PM
Can we agree there is ZERO % chance of that happening?

If we can agree on that, then let's try and work out what MIGHT happen!

Both Naughton and Bruce got 70% of their goals in the first 11 games with the Real Ruck structure and 30% in the second 11 with the Preferred Ruck structure. ThatÂ’s a loss of 20 goals for each (where 1 additional goal means the double chance).

With Bruce gone the forward problem is compounded. Can you see the smalls and mids kicking a winning score if Essendon dominates the ruck? We need 3 tall forwards to split the defenders and English should be one.

We must have a genuine ruckman. And if he breaks down Essendon win from there on. Young, Schache, Hannan, Bont, Â…. are not adequate insurance.

So what might happen? We will fiddle with irrelevant pieces around the edge of the puzzle and hand Essendon a bonus, clean exits from the middle at centre bounces (likely goals).

As I said earlier I expect the Dogs will win, but Essendon has some strengths which align well with our weaknesses.

azabob
23-08-2021, 01:11 PM
So we bent over.

I'd say we didn't have much choice. Probably is better for the players the short trip?

Of course we didn't have a choice and bent over.

What was the point of this media release? To pretend we were consulted and had input?

Honestly we should have said nothing or said, The club wanted to play in Adelaide but the AFL overruled our request. Then spin some bull around being an anywhere anytime club blah blah blah.

No way Geelong would meekly put this media release out.

azabob
23-08-2021, 01:12 PM

MELB 8-2 120.52%
SYD 6-3 109.37%
GWS 5-5 83.52%
BRIS 4-4 124.31%
WBD 4-5 104.46%
GEEL 4-5 96.49%
PORT 4-4 95.91%
ESS 1-8 79.07%

The other stat floating around last night was we'd be top 2 if the quarters were 16 mins + time on as they were in 2020.

comrade
23-08-2021, 01:18 PM
The other stat floating around last night was we'd be top 2 if the quarters were 16 mins + time on as they were in 2020.

So we’re getting overrun late in quarters is the suggestion?

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Of course we didn't have a choice and bent over.

What was the point of this media release? To pretend we were consulted and had input?

Honestly we should have said nothing or said, The club wanted to play in Adelaide but the AFL overruled our request. Then spin some bull around being an anywhere anytime club blah blah blah.

No way Geelong would meekly put this media release out.

I miss PG.

azabob
23-08-2021, 01:22 PM

Nah it was a stat from a stats guy - entire top 8 and the other disclaimer NO RETURN games.

mjp
23-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Both Naughton and Bruce got 70% of their goals in the first 11 games with the Real Ruck structure and 30% in the second 11 with the Preferred Ruck structure. ThatÂ’s a loss of 20 goals for each (where 1 additional goal means the double chance).

With Bruce gone the forward problem is compounded. Can you see the smalls and mids kicking a winning score if Essendon dominates the ruck? We need 3 tall forwards to split the defenders and English should be one.

We must have a genuine ruckman. And if he breaks down Essendon win from there on. Young, Schache, Hannan, Bont, Â…. are not adequate insurance.

So what might happen? We will fiddle with irrelevant pieces around the edge of the puzzle and hand Essendon a bonus, clean exits from the middle at centre bounces (likely goals).

As I said earlier I expect the Dogs will win, but Essendon has some strengths which align well with our weaknesses.

I'm not disputing anything you are saying.

Given that, what IRRELEVANT pieces around the edge of the puzzle might change given we both agree we are 100% guaranteed to NOT select both of Sweet and Martin?

Mantis
23-08-2021, 02:53 PM

We play a taxing style whereby our mids have to run hard to protect our ''shoddy'' defence... hard to do that for 120min every week and across 22 games.

It was all ok early in the season, but we look worn down... with injuries to key players not helping our case.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 02:55 PM

This is it :

What the 2021 ladder would look like with 2020 shorter qtrs - 16 mins plus time on

MELB
WBD
PORT
SYD
BRIS
GEEL
GWS
ESS

WCE
RICH
STK
CARL
HAW
FREM
ADEL
GCS
COLL
NTH

Mofra
23-08-2021, 02:56 PM
We play a taxing style whereby our mids have to run hard to protect our ''shoddy'' defence... hard to do that for 120min every week and across 22 games.

It was all ok early in the season, but we look worn down... with injuries to key players not helping our case.
Bont topped our KMs covered last game which I didn't think was ideal. He just took it upon himself to try and drag the team over the line. No pruprises that Hunter was second.

comrade
23-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Bont was the #1 ranked player in the league up to round 15 according to CD and is sitting at 65 since. The shoulder is an obvious thing to point to but what else is behind the drop in impact?

Need a huge game from our leader this week if we are to win. In the guts, all day.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 02:59 PM
Bont topped our KMs covered last game which I didn't think was ideal. He just took it upon himself to try and drag the team over the line. No pruprises that Hunter was second.

Bont's work-rate is outrageously good for a player of his size, but you can see he's labouring a bit... His shoulder has been tapped every week after the ''stinger'' late in the piece against WC and he's not moving quite as well as he once was, but still has the want to do so.

Having Ladhams jump into his hip a few times late in the piece on Friday didn't help him either, especially when he tried to run & chase from that contest and couldn't get his legs going.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Looks like we might play a semi in Tas so might be good to get used to it.

Could actually work out well.

AFL GM of broadcasting and clubs Travis Auld also indicated the four teams bound for Launceston – Sydney, GWS, Western Bulldogs and Essendon – could be based in Tasmania beyond their matches with a semi-final next weekend on the Apple Isle a possibility.

I assume that's only if it's Melbourne.

Lions we'd play at the Gabba I'd guess?

Let's beat the Dons first :)

Mantis
23-08-2021, 03:03 PM

AFL GM of broadcasting and clubs Travis Auld also indicated the four teams bound for Launceston – Sydney, GWS, Western Bulldogs and Essendon – could be based in Tasmania beyond their matches with a semi-final next weekend on the Apple Isle a possibility.

Much prefer to play Brisbane in Tassie than anywhere else.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Bit the bullet and got tickets to the game. Bro is a bulldog but mum is a bomber;)
I’m really hoping we can get it done. I really am.

Mantis
23-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Bit the bullet and got tickets to the game. Bro is a bulldog but mum is a bomber;)

Good stuff.. positive attitude DG.. we've got this!

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 03:29 PM

It will be worth it, good stuff DG enjoy.

comrade
23-08-2021, 03:31 PM

Well done DG. God I hope it’s all worthwhile for you.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Hope they don’t let you down DG. You’re doing your bit. Hopefully the boys do theirs.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 03:36 PM

I assume that's only if it's Melbourne.

Lions we'd play at the Gabba I'd guess?

Let's beat the Dons first :)

Last week the boys were forced to lockdown for the week, otherwise SA Gov wouldn't allow Port to play us. Port only had to lockdown for 3 days.
Pretty sure the Tassie Gov is being more lenient, so makes sense.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 05:47 PM
Just heard the game has SOLD OUT before General public sales, so members got them all.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here’s hoping.

azabob
23-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Tom Morris now claiming Dogs and Dons fly to tassie on Thursday.

So much for the fly in fly out advantage.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 07:10 PM
The Dogs/Ess game sold out in 90 mins…a lot of disgruntled fans missing out, but with Essendons huge tassie followers, it was never going to General Public sales.

Eastdog
23-08-2021, 07:14 PM

Good stuff DG. We could be against my mum side Demons in the semi final.

Go Bulldogs!

divvydan
23-08-2021, 07:17 PM

All of this seems set for a month long hub that allows teams to fly to WA for prelims/grand final without having to spend time in quarantine when they get there. Need to spend at least 14 days outside Vic to be allowed to enter WA without going through quarantine, so by heading to Tassie on Thursday, it means they can fly to WA on the Thursday of Week 3 of the finals if needed.

bornadog
23-08-2021, 07:53 PM
All of this seems set for a month long hub that allows teams to fly to WA for prelims/grand final without having to spend time in quarantine when they get there. Need to spend at least 14 days outside Vic to be allowed to enter WA without going through quarantine, so by heading to Tassie on Thursday, it means they can fly to WA on the Thursday of Week 3 of the finals if needed.

Yeah that is what is going to happen

jeemak
23-08-2021, 08:10 PM
So if it's only members who got tickets that would mean the crowd is going to be a fifty fifty split, outside of corporate packages?

Reckon there's probably a lot of after market activity in the wings.

kruder
23-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Reading this and then reading the quote from Bains below, not sure we have are in the right head space to handle the above?

Haven't all clubs experienced this?

It’s been a difficult season for our group with several games impacted by extended time on the road and multiple periods of hard isolation, including in the lead-up to last week’s Round 23 game. Our priority is to ensure our players face minimal disruption, so they can prepare for this final in the best way possible.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 08:19 PM
So if it's only members who got tickets that would mean the crowd is going to be a fifty fifty split, outside of corporate packages?

Was it an even distribution of members or just all members at once?

I doubt very much dogs had half so suggest it's a large Dons member contingent.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Was it an even distribution of members or just all members at once?

I doubt very much dogs had half so suggest it's a large Dons member contingent.

It was all members at once. I’ve been hearing a lot of Essendon members in Melb with either family or friends here were giving them their barcodes so they wouldn’t have to chance the general public sale. However, Essendon would certainly have more Tassie members than the dogs. I’m still expecting the crowd to be 80% Essendon supporters.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 08:33 PM
I get that it might be all members at once, but surely each team gets an allocation, then that gets exhausted or doesn't and a decision is made on how to split the remaining member ticket allocation that wasn't exhausted.

Additionally, I reckon there's likely to be identification checks at the gate:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1007245/ticketing-tips-elimination-finals-access

1eyedog
23-08-2021, 08:39 PM
It was all members at once. I’ve been hearing a lot of Essendon members in Melb with either family or friends here were giving them their barcodes so they wouldn’t have to chance the general public sale. However, Essendon would certainly have more Tassie members than the dogs. I’m still expecting the crowd to be 80% Essendon supporters.

It just gets worse and worse F me. Just gotta find a way to win and get the hell out of there.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 09:00 PM
I get that it might be all members at once, but surely each team gets an allocation, then that gets exhausted or doesn't and a decision is made on how to split the remaining member ticket allocation that wasn't exhausted.

Additionally, I reckon there's likely to be identification checks at the gate:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1007245/ticketing-tips-elimination-finals-access

10 tickets per membership is pretty much a free for all.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2021, 09:07 PM

So Dog God’s years of buying up 2,000 memberships are going to finally pay off. This week is starting to turn around for us now.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 09:12 PM

But is it any different than previous years/ finals, and does it mean that there's no set allocation per club? Again, this is just what I thought was my understanding, that each club gets an allocation that is equal and members are able to purchase up to ten barcodes/ tickets until that allocation is exhausted.

Is this not the case?

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 09:18 PM
But is it any different than previous years/ finals, and does it mean that there's no set allocation per club? Again, this is just what I thought was my understanding, that each club gets an allocation that is equal and members are able to purchase up to ten barcodes/ tickets until that allocation is exhausted.

Is this not the case?

I think you're right, it was 8 for the 2019 elimination final v GWS.

I don't think they hold an equal amount per team though, they probably can't considering all Dons fans may buy 10 and all Dogs fans may buy 1 for eg... it's just first in best dressed during that period.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 09:26 PM
I think you're right, it was 8 for the 2019 elimination final v GWS.

I don't think they hold an equal amount per team though, they probably can't considering all Dons fans may buy 10 and all Dogs fans may buy 1 for eg... it's just first in best dressed during that period.

So I'm not right.......

And if I'm not, then that's completely stupid. Because if there's more members from one club than the other, but both have plenty to cover the allocation and all call at once then the club with the most members naturally gets more tickets. Which is silly.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 09:37 PM
The members presale was 2pm to 4pm
General public 5pm.
I was surprised there was a 10 ticket allocation with only 10,000 capped crowd.

AshMac
23-08-2021, 09:38 PM
https://www.woof.net.au/forum/blob:https://www.woof.net.au/58e007be-4b7c-49f1-9d99-f2932e10634b

AshMac
23-08-2021, 09:40 PM

not sure how to make the image bigger from my phone

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Wow that looks way worse than I thought it would…

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Wow that looks way worse than I thought it would…

Agree that's pretty amazing.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Tackles plummeted. That’s more than structural/injury related.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 09:51 PM
So I'm not right.......

And if I'm not, then that's completely stupid. Because if there's more members from one club than the other, but both have plenty to cover the allocation and all call at once then the club with the most members naturally gets more tickets. Which is silly.

Anyway, BAD is usually a real know it all when it comes to this stuff so maybe he can help me out here. Or Axe, Axe could help me.

jeemak
23-08-2021, 09:54 PM

You mean there's something creating our malaise other than not playing Jordan Sweet? I kid, I kid.

A lot of this is effort and or fatigue based, hard to tell which however. I reckon it's a bit of both.

bornadog
Anyway, BAD is usually a real know it all when it comes to this stuff so maybe he can help me out here. Or Axe, Axe could help me.

Can't help you, sorry. It is most likely a conspiracy by AFL to pump up Essendon.

Grantysghost

Dunks came back rd 20.

DOG GOD
23-08-2021, 10:02 PM
Dogs $1.55
Essendon $2.46
Sportsbet…surprised with that.

Grantysghost
23-08-2021, 10:10 PM

This should clear it all up, completely unambiguous and transparent.

https://www.afl.com.au/finals/tickets/faq

angelopetraglia
23-08-2021, 11:34 PM

That fall alway is something else. Midfield has just disappeared in the last three weeks. Missing in action. Fascinating to see what the response will be this weekend.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2021, 11:49 PM
Well, there’s no Bali trip this year boys.
Better keep going.
Just don’t let it be Essendon please.
Dogs by 6 points
BOG Bont
First goal Flea

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2021, 12:31 AM
You mean there's something creating our malaise other than not playing Jordan Sweet? I kid, I kid.

A lot of this is effort and or fatigue based, hard to tell which however. I reckon it's a bit of both.

Oh I’m fully aware. I’ve just been surprised with all the talk and focus on ins and outs. Whilst they’re all fully valid and probably make us a better side, they aren’t the reason we lost to the bombers and hawks. We could have had Buddy Franklin and Steven May and we still would have lost.

boydogs
24-08-2021, 12:41 AM

Draper near on beat Grundy on the weekend, Keath is back for Wright but Draper is a huge threat to our chances

boydogs
24-08-2021, 01:15 AM

Will they be free to go out in Tassie though? If so better to be there than in Melbourne in lockdown

jeemak
24-08-2021, 10:47 AM
I've put the last few weeks behind me and I'm now ready to embrace our challenge, I really hope the lads have and are ready to go as well.

I'd be interested in hearing how we can beat the Bummers now, as I've definitely read enough content on why we're in a rut, why the AFL's against us, why Tassie is a bad venue for us and to be honest, I want to try to enjoy the lead up as much as I can. Life's bleak enough........!

For me it's effort across the board, but particularly from our midfield brigade. The effort from these guys needs to be matched with ruthlessness and composure. They need to have a desire to deny their opposition counterparts the slightest of opportunities and they need to be focused on keeping their heads with slick handling skills in tight and deft touches to give team mates an advantage. In the past few weeks we've not seen enough of this, in fact against Port, the blunt instrument approach to ball handling in close was a major game changer and cost us dearly.

I'm on record as saying I don't think peripheral selections make too much of a difference to us, it's our one wood midfield that determines whether we win or lose. We have to roll the dice with Martin to allow our midfield to enter the game with a little more confidence, and while I don't quite know what to do with JJ and VDM, I think a bit more of a contribution from these guys will be enough to help our forward line get moving. On paper we look to have too much quality for them, and if our front half can make it difficult for them in transition and our midfield runs both ways we should be in a good position to take the game.

How do you guys think we can win?

Ozza
24-08-2021, 10:57 AM

Well its quite the opposite. The club didn't want to fly in/fly out same day - as that was a disaster last time.

No Melbourne club will be back in Melbourne after Thursday until their finals campaign is finished.

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 11:06 AM
Well its quite the opposite. The club didn't want to fly in/fly out same day - as that was a disaster last time.

No Melbourne club will be back in Melbourne after Thursday until their finals campaign is finished.

Chris Scott made it sound like all finals will be in Perth from week 2. That’d be amazing… if Lions and Port didn’t get home ground advantages. I mean, in theory, given not all teams can get an advantage, why should any? A Perth hub would be a win (depending on the freedoms the players got).

comrade
24-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Chris Scott made it sound like all finals will be in Perth from week 2. That’d be amazing… if Lions and Port didn’t get home ground advantages. I mean, in theory, given not all teams can get an advantage, why should any? A Perth hub would be a win (depending on the freedoms the players got).

That sort of fair minded approach is surely beyond the AFL at this point?

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Makes this week super important. We get through - no home ground disadvantage and I can guarantee that no one will want to play us at a neutral venue.

azabob
24-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Great post jee.

Its Tuesday and you are right time for some positivity.

Pretty simple for me.

We can't allow Essendon to get their tails up and free wheel as they will be very tough to stop.

As a team we need to bring our pressure game and also our physical game and not be bullied in the ruck and midfield.

If we do this I believe we will give our forwards enough opportunity to kick a winning score and our defense enough support to stop Essendon kicking a winning score.

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 11:49 AM
We need to show them appropriate respect, cause they have some good players.

But, we have better players. And more of them.

So, as long as we show respect, and everyone just does their job, we should win and win well.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Great post jee.

Pretty simple for me.

We can't allow Essendon to get their tails up and free wheel as they will be very tough to stop.

As a team we need to bring our pressure game and also our physical game and not be bullied in the ruck and midfield.

If we do this I believe we will give our forwards enough opportunity to kick a winning score and our defense enough support to stop Essendon kicking a winning score.

Yep spot on - they can't be allowed to run on the outside we need to be pressing up into their faces and forcing them into rushed possessions at all times. No excuse for them having any easy disposals.

On the contrary we need to work hard on the other side to utilise our +1 and overlap out and protect / shepherd the ball carrier.

If I see Jake Stringer running out the front of a centre square stoppage I will literally spew up !

bornadog
24-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Great post jee.

Pretty simple for me.

Listening to Leptich this morning, he said Essendon rely on turnovers and then run the ball quickly from back half to forward line. WE need to make sure we don't just turn the ball over. We must hit targets.

comrade
24-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Keep Baz away from every single centre bounce. Hide him on a flank and don’t even roll him up to stoppages as an extra. Keep him wide and in space, he has no place being inside the stoppage at the moment.

dog town
24-08-2021, 12:27 PM
Keep Baz away from every single centre bounce. Hide him on a flank and don’t even roll him up to stoppages as an extra. Keep him wide and in space, he has no place being inside the stoppage at the moment. It has been a quick turnaround for him because he was really giving us something different in there only a month ago. With Libba down at the moment I feel our balance is out because we don’t have a low to the ground player with good agility getting it done. I have always found that those guys have troubled us so we need Treloar, Smith and Libba who has different attributes but is that size and shape to come good.

1eyedog
24-08-2021, 01:09 PM
I've put the last few weeks behind me and I'm now ready to embrace our challenge, I really hope the lads have and are ready to go as well.

I'd be interested in hearing how we can beat the Bummers now, as I've definitely read enough content on why we're in a rut, why the AFL's against us, why Tassie is a bad venue for us and to be honest, I want to try to enjoy the lead up as much as I can. Life's bleak enough........!

For me it's effort across the board, but particularly from our midfield brigade. The effort from these guys needs to be matched with ruthlessness and composure. They need to have a desire to deny their opposition counterparts the slightest of opportunities and they need to be focused on keeping their heads with slick handling skills in tight and deft touches to give team mates an advantage. In the past few weeks we've not seen enough of this, in fact against Port, the blunt instrument approach to ball handling in close was a major game changer and cost us dearly.

I'm on record as saying I don't think peripheral selections make too much of a difference to us, it's our one wood midfield that determines whether we win or lose. We have to roll the dice with Martin to allow our midfield to enter the game with a little more confidence, and while I don't quite know what to do with JJ and VDM, I think a bit more of a contribution from these guys will be enough to help our forward line get moving. On paper we look to have too much quality for them, and if our front half can make it difficult for them in transition and our midfield runs both ways we should be in a good position to take the game.

I'd like us to show some composure moving the ball inside F50 rather than long bomb entries. Naughts and Flea (and Marra as well) are dynamite on the lead I'd like us to move the ball across the arc until we get lower risk lead-up options. Essendon were highly effective breaking up high balls last time we played them and super efficient moving the ball out of defence. We need to keep the ball away from them down there and maximise our F50 entries. We need smarter entries.

Composure moving the ball in general play will be critical as well. We had so many opportunities against Port when we had momentum but were let down by second grabbing at the ball, bad skill errors by hand and not taking first option in high pressure passages of play. We've effectively turned into panic merchants the past few weeks and this needs to change. It's a big worry.

The midfield needs to work harder defensively and more specifically Dunkley really needs to step up. He's a bull but has been largely ineffective since returning from injury and that needs to change, especially if Libba is tagged again. We need him strong at stoppages.

The ruck has been spoken about enough so I'll just mention that if we choose to go in with Cordy and Wood again Keath needs to have a big impact.

Lastly, we simply must make the most of our opportunities in front of goal.

Do we need a Hannan-type (or someone, Cordy?) to play defensively on Ridley and would something like a Dunks run-with role be useful on a player like Merrett who they go through at every opportunity because he's so good by foot?

jeemak
24-08-2021, 01:31 PM

Apparently there is a huge after/re-sale market play happening due to a lack of scalping legislation (how quaint):

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/scalpers-swoop-on-sold-out-afl-finals-in-tasmania-20210824-p58ldt.html

Still no word on allocations!!!!!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Dunkley is a massive problem at the moment. Treloar hasn't se the world on fire either, but he's had some moments and looks like he is slowly getting better each week. Both need to step up, but Dunkley looks like an absolute shell of his former self.

Giving Dunkley a specific role might be a good idea, but who? Most opposition mids would burn him on the spread. Maybe Parish?

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Listening to Leptich this morning, he said Essendon rely on turnovers and then run the ball quickly from back half to forward line. WE need to make sure we don't just turn the ball over. We must hit targets.

Sounds like a disease variant from medieval times.

mjp
24-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Maybe Parish?

Yes. He needs a role and yes, it should be Parish.

bornadog
24-08-2021, 04:33 PM
Beveridge defends Bontempelli as Bulldogs weigh up ‘huge risk’ at selection (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beveridge-defends-bontempelli-as-bulldogs-weigh-up-huge-risk-at-selection-20210824-p58lc3.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1629779326)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has leapt to the defence of Marcus Bontempelli, declaring the captain’s fellow midfielders need to regain the “cohesion” they had earlier in the season in order to allow Bontempelli to again flourish.

The Bulldogs have much to think about heading into Sunday’s elimination final against Essendon in Launceston.

While they venture into the post season stung by having lost three straight matches and the double chance, tumbling from top of the ladder to fifth, Beveridge insisted on Tuesday that “everything changes” and the “game becomes a little bit different” now. But there are significant issues to address, including how to re-establish the dominance Bontempelli had while emerging as a Brownlow Medal favourite.

The gold-standard impact Bontempelli had has slipped in the past month, prompting Essendon great Matthew Lloyd to describe him as “really poor” in the loss to Port Adelaide on Friday. Bontempelli had only 15 touches, as he did against the Crows in round 20, and while he did have 34 against the Bombers a week later and 31 against the Hawks, he could not will his side to victory.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs had closely studied film of their champion midfielder.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has leapt to the defence of Marcus Bontempelli, declaring the captain’s fellow midfielders need to regain the “cohesion” they had earlier in the season in order to allow Bontempelli to again flourish.

The Bulldogs have much to think about heading into Sunday’s elimination final against Essendon in Launceston.

While they venture into the post season stung by having lost three straight matches and the double chance, tumbling from top of the ladder to fifth, Beveridge insisted on Tuesday that “everything changes” and the “game becomes a little bit different” now. But there are significant issues to address, including how to re-establish the dominance Bontempelli had while emerging as a Brownlow Medal favourite.

The gold-standard impact Bontempelli had has slipped in the past month, prompting Essendon great Matthew Lloyd to describe him as “really poor” in the loss to Port Adelaide on Friday. Bontempelli had only 15 touches, as he did against the Crows in round 20, and while he did have 34 against the Bombers a week later and 31 against the Hawks, he could not will his side to victory.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs had closely studied film of their champion midfielder.

“When we do, we see Marcus trying to put out spot fires, trying to help defensively, compete in the air behind the ball, getting to the stoppage, working his butt off, trying to create offensive opportunities. He is working the house down for the team,” Beveridge said on Tuesday.

“I think his effect on the game and his influence is symptomatic of how that whole group is playing together, the chemistry, the cohesion that we established earlier in the year, we haven’t been able to re-establish it as yet. This game is a glaring opportunity for us to get that closer to the mark than it has been. That will help his game, there is no doubt about that, because you spread the load.”

Where the Dogs’ quick hands and run from stoppages had terrorised sides, opponents have been able to shut this down - Beveridge’s men falling from being the league best in average clearance differential from rounds 1-20, to 12th from rounds 21-23.

Tom Liberatore was beaten by Willem Drew last week, while Lloyd added Josh Dunkley “looks lost” and said the pressure was also on Beveridge, for outside of the magical 2016 premiership run, the Dogs had lost three elimination finals under the coach.

Beveridge appears to have grown tired of the constant questioning about the ruck issue, and said it would be a “huge risk” to recall the robust Stef Martin. The former Lion was a key piece in the Bulldogs’ surge earlier this season but has yet to regain full match fitness after a groin injury. He has had only one major training session, and a practice match last weekend with reduced minutes.

Dancin' Douggy
24-08-2021, 08:31 PM
I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals being forcefully massaged into the fresh bleeding amputation stump. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.
I'm sorry but I just felt I needed to get it out of my system in some small way.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-08-2021, 09:10 PM
I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals in the amputation scar. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.
I'm sorry but I just felt I needed to get it out of my system in some small way.

DD I am sure we all feel your pain but our history would suggest that our Club can overcome hurdles as in 1989 and 2016 in one of the more remarkable finals series ever. This year has witnessed the highs in being Ladder leader for 8 games and
then in the past 3 weeks a capitulation fighting to avoid going out in straight sets for the third year in a row.
It will take a supreme effort to reverse the trend but let’s not become too despondent, believing the team will show the true Bulldog spirit once again to overcome adversity.

Hotdog60
24-08-2021, 10:16 PM
We have a secret weapon that wasn't used the last time we played the Bummers and that the Energizer Bunny.

https://images.thewest.com.au/publication/C-3502397/e7242a1dc67dd2f29b2160e14066a21e724606c9-161x229-x0y9w2138h3041.jpg?imwidth=810&impolicy=wan_v3

1eyedog
24-08-2021, 10:22 PM
I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals being forcefully massaged into the fresh bleeding amputation stump. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.

Understand completely. Its more likely we're going to get smashed than win the game. Not sure what the bookies are on. Hard drugs? The money is on reputation alone. We have zero momentum vs a team absolutely flying. It won't be pretty.

EasternWest
24-08-2021, 10:38 PM
Understand completely. Its more likely we're going to get smashed than win the game. Not sure what the bookies are on. Hard drugs? The money is on reputation alone. We have zero momentum vs a team absolutely flying. It won't be pretty.

Remember when we flew to Perth to play the form team in the competition in an elimination final then smashed them?

We're going to win this game.

MrMahatma
24-08-2021, 11:20 PM
Remember when we flew to Perth to play the form team in the competition in an elimination final then smashed them?

I agree. Anything can happen in the next few weeks. And surely it’s more likely we make a run at the flag than it was in 2016? And we’ve shown better capability this year than in the previous two when we were knocked out of finals early. Heck… in 2019 we were flying into the finals like Essendon are. And then…

It won’t be easy but we should win.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2021, 11:31 PM
Lloyd and others are a bit early to pull the trigger on Bont.
Hope Marcus comes out swinging like the champ he is.
Never enjoyed watching another player so much.

Grantysghost
24-08-2021, 11:37 PM

You fail to mention that was actually part of a fairy tale.

Mythology has no place here in the realm of the realists!

jeemak
24-08-2021, 11:42 PM
I'll just repost a variation of what I posted this morning, almost got through a full day. Incremental uplift is still uplift, I guess.

1eyedog
25-08-2021, 01:29 AM

Yeah you mean that one month in 62 years of footy? That was cool.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 02:32 AM
Yeah you mean that one month in 62 years of footy? That was cool.

It really was, wasn't it.

Good times, good times.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?16096-Match-Committee-Elimination-Final-West-Coast-Eagles-Subuaco&highlight=2016+elimination+final+West+coast

For different reasons selection then was just as ridiculous as it is today.

1eyedog
25-08-2021, 07:30 AM
It really was, wasn't it.

Good times, good times.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?16096-Match-Committee-Elimination-Final-West-Coast-Eagles-Subuaco&highlight=2016+elimination+final+West+coast

For different reasons selection then was just as ridiculous as it is today.

Very good point Jee.

Go_Dogs
25-08-2021, 09:23 AM
Why we will win:

We have Bont
Treloar and Dunks are bound to hit their straps this weekend
Liberatore hates Essendon and will play a game for the ages to spite them
Young will enjoy the challenge of playing on Draper and will make him earn it
Timmy will show 2M that he’s just a small man and kick 8 up front
Naughts to remind everyone why king Carey said he’s the best forward in the game.
We have the Bont.
Weightman due a few sausage rolls
Daniel and Dale to dominate with their foot skills as they have done repeatedly this year
Keath v whoever. He will be at his angry PE teacher best
Williams doesn’t think he should share a nickname with Ben Rutten, and will demand sole ownership of “Truck” by days end
Hunter after a quiet year has hit peak form. He’s bound to kick straight. And get 30 touches running everywhere
We have Bont
Roarke Smith will tag some pathetic excuse for a wingman out of the game and take a few game winning marks in the back half
Macrae to have 30 plus, and find lace out leading players in the F50 with at least 5 of them
Bevo creates a narrative that sparks our players, who remember how bloody good they are and why we will win the flag
JJ to go all “Normie” on Essendon, laughing at the memory of their pitiful offer years back and nail 4 chase down tackles for the ages to go with 2 goals
We have Bont
Duryea to do what’s he’s done all year and consistently be in the right place, right time
Bailey Smith to use his anger and aggression to close down space, and work his backside off on the defensive side of stoppages, making Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a midfielder forcing him to retreat to the F50, where Easton Wood plays his best game in 5 years and also makes Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a forward, crushing him mentally and ensuring that he plays our his huge contract extension for the Bendigo Bombers (who I’m not sure exist anymore, but you get the point)
We have Bont
Cordy to fly knee first into at least 3’opponents who look good early, forcing Essendon to use their sub and be 2 down on the bench all night
Hannan kicks the opening goal after sitting on someone’s head, setting a tone for redemption
VDM lays 8 tackles for the game, 4 in the F50 and shows the tenacity that made him a fan favourite for 120 minutes
We have Bont.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Lloyd and others are a bit early to pull the trigger on Bont.
Hope Marcus comes out swinging like the champ he is.
Never enjoyed watching another player so much.
I remember a few years ago when people said Bont couldn't handle a tag. We played North and Firitto was sent to rough him up.
Bont hasn't been targeted the same way physically since.

This game has all the hallmarks of a 'statement' game.

DOG GOD
25-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Simple….the white board should read 2 simple lines this week…

HUNT THEM

KILL THEM

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 10:04 AM
I remember a few years ago when people said Bont couldn't handle a tag. We played North and Firitto was sent to rough him up.
Bont hasn't been targeted the same way physically since.

This game has all the hallmarks of a 'statement' game.

GWS did in that Elimination final. Not sure we've recovered from that completely.

Long came out and flattened Macrae last year and we didn't really respond.

Agree this is such an important game to leave that behind and move forward.

comrade
25-08-2021, 10:08 AM
GWS did in that Elimination final. Not sure we've recovered from that completely.

Long came out and flattened Macrae last year and we didn't really respond.

Agree this is such an important game to leave that behind and move forward.

The GWS game was bad enough but that Long incident and our lack of response made my blood boil. Literally the opening moment of our biggest game of the year and one of our prime movers gets sniped and we do...nothing. I thought it said a lot about the collective mindset of the group at the time.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 10:13 AM
The GWS game was bad enough but that Long incident and our lack of response made my blood boil. Literally the opening moment of our biggest game of the year and one of our prime movers gets sniped and we do...nothing. I thought it said a lot about the collective mindset of the group at the time.

We need to conjure up that spirit we had v Melbourne.

I know there's a fair amount of animosity between those two playing groups so it's more organic, I hope we can manufacture it for a big game like this.

Not sure where a loss leaves us tbh; must win!

merantau
25-08-2021, 10:19 AM
There is no chance that this game will be a carbon copy of a few weeks back. We will get our hands on the ball first, get players around the contest, pressure them in to mistakes and make them pay. The alternative is unthinkable.

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Why we will win:

We have Bont
Treloar and Dunks are bound to hit their straps this weekend
Liberatore hates Essendon and will play a game for the ages to spite them
Young will enjoy the challenge of playing on Draper and will make him earn it
Timmy will show 2M that he’s just a small man and kick 8 up front
Naughts to remind everyone why king Carey said he’s the best forward in the game.
We have the Bont.
Weightman due a few sausage rolls
Daniel and Dale to dominate with their foot skills as they have done repeatedly this year
Keath v whoever. He will be at his angry PE teacher best
Williams doesn’t think he should share a nickname with Ben Rutten, and will demand sole ownership of “Truck” by days end
Hunter after a quiet year has hit peak form. He’s bound to kick straight. And get 30 touches running everywhere
We have Bont
Roarke Smith will tag some pathetic excuse for a wingman out of the game and take a few game winning marks in the back half
Macrae to have 30 plus, and find lace out leading players in the F50 with at least 5 of them
Bevo creates a narrative that sparks our players, who remember how bloody good they are and why we will win the flag
JJ to go all “Normie” on Essendon, laughing at the memory of their pitiful offer years back and nail 4 chase down tackles for the ages to go with 2 goals
We have Bont
Duryea to do what’s he’s done all year and consistently be in the right place, right time
Bailey Smith to use his anger and aggression to close down space, and work his backside off on the defensive side of stoppages, making Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a midfielder forcing him to retreat to the F50, where Easton Wood plays his best game in 5 years and also makes Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a forward, crushing him mentally and ensuring that he plays our his huge contract extension for the Bendigo Bombers (who I’m not sure exist anymore, but you get the point)
We have Bont
Cordy to fly knee first into at least 3’opponents who look good early, forcing Essendon to use their sub and be 2 down on the bench all night
Hannan kicks the opening goal after sitting on someone’s head, setting a tone for redemption
VDM lays 8 tackles for the game, 4 in the F50 and shows the tenacity that made him a fan favourite for 120 minutes
We have Bont.

Love everything about this.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2021, 11:21 AM
If we're going down v Essendon, it better be via swinging.

If we meekly accept defeat and getting overrun, I'll Terry Wallet the entire off-season.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 12:15 PM
love everything about this.

ditto

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 12:31 PM
There is no chance that this game will be a carbon copy of a few weeks back. We will get our hands on the ball first, get players around the contest, pressure them in to mistakes and make them pay. The alternative is unthinkable.

I thought we’d do all that against the saints last year too but it didn’t happen.

This group has me unconvinced right now. I hope we see something similar to the 2016 squad. But who’s going to replace the guys who get in your face or go in to battle for their teammates or unconditionally give that extra 1% no matter what? Who’s going to become the Matty Boyd, the Dale Morris, the Liam Picken or the Clay Smith? Hell I don’t really like them but even Dahl gave his all and Stringer at least asserted a presence and swagger. Right now we have Libba. Bailey Smith and VDM looked likely but it seems the club might have snuffed it out of them.

I await for that 2016 attitude to be inserted into this group. But I’m not confident. We only seem to be able to manufacture it like for 10 minutes last week.

Prove me wrong dogs.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Last week the boys were forced to lockdown for the week, otherwise SA Gov wouldn't allow Port to play us. Port only had to lockdown for 3 days.
Pretty sure the Tassie Gov is being more lenient, so makes sense.

Tassie Govr want s team in the AFL so are being extra nice

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2021, 01:58 PM
I thought we’d do all that against the saints last year too but it didn’t happen.

This group has me unconvinced right now. I hope we see something similar to the 2016 squad. But who’s going to replace the guys who get in your face or go in to battle for their teammates or unconditionally give that extra 1% no matter what? Who’s going to become the Matty Boyd, the Dale Morris, the Liam Picken or the Clay Smith? Hell I don’t really like them but even Dahl gave his all and Stringer at least asserted a presence and swagger. Right now we have Libba. Bailey Smith and VDM looked likely but it seems the club might have snuffed it out of them.

I await for that 2016 attitude to be inserted into this group. But I’m not confident. We only seem to be able to manufacture it like for 10 minutes last week.

Prove me wrong dogs.
Jake stringer to be enveloped in a huge tackle when he bursts out of the centre would send that statement. Of all the galling things, seeing him doing that unchallenged was the most galling-iest.

earlier in the year there were conversations about this group being better than 2016. If we don’t show up as desperate junkyard dogs on Sunday that comparison is laughable. Our biggest advantage over Essendon should be that we are finals- hardened, while their attacking style is one not suited to finals. We need to make it ruthlessly clear that the pressure and intensity has ratcheted up. Bulldogs’ sides of the past have often faltered at that point. We need to make them the ones suddenly coming to the panicky realisation that everything is now different. Please don’t let us down Dogs.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Jake stringer to be enveloped in a huge tackle when he bursts out of the centre would send that statement. Of all the galling things, seeing him doing that unchallenged was the most galling-iest.

earlier in the year there were conversations about this group being better than 2016. If we don’t show up as desperate junkyard dogs on Sunday that comparison is laughable. Our biggest advantage over Essendon should be that we are finals- hardened, while their attacking style is one not suited to finals. We need to make it ruthlessly clear that the pressure and intensity has ratcheted up. Bulldogs’ sides of the past have often faltered at that point. We need to make them the ones suddenly coming to the panicky realisation that everything is now different. Please don’t let us down Dogs.

Bevo said in his presser that it’s a totally different game now. Essendons free wheeling style won’t be suited to finals pressure. But neither did the saints’ style last year. This side has more raw talent than 2016. But it has about a tenth of its grit and desperation.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 02:33 PM
I guess the 2016 team had one tenth of its grit and determination until it didn't and demonstrated the step to that was achievable.

But like you BTT I'm not convinced it will take the required steps to reach that level just yet. What I really want to see is improvement, not perfection, but improvement.

Hang in the contest for longer, scrap for longer, fight for longer. If we can do that our talent then gets an opportunity to shine.

SonofScray
25-08-2021, 02:42 PM
Please don’t let us down Dogs.

That we are playing the obtuse, insightless, PED riddled, salary cap cheating, corrupt, nouveau riche, bougie, scum rats from Essendon really ramps up how important it is that our best qualities are on display and we get a result.

I will be disappointed with a loss. Angry even.

But I will be shattered if the question “is our true face the brilliant, robust footy we are capable of, or the shell shocked, joyless footy recently re-emerged?” is answered in the negative against this mob. Legitimately broken.

There is a lot riding on this in terms of our Club’s identity. We can assert ourselves and affirm the new world order in this neck of the woods, of wilt and put us back into a space where pig scum like EOC fans can think they are entitled to look down their nose at us.

The only acceptable outcome is a strong performance and a win.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 02:42 PM
I guess the 2016 team had one tenth of its grit and determination until it didn't and demonstrated the step to that was achievable.

But like you BTT I'm not convinced it will take the required steps to reach that level just yet. What I really want to see is improvement, not perfection, but improvement.

Hang in the contest for longer, scrap for longer, fight for longer. If we can do that our talent then gets an opportunity to shine.

That’s a fair point. It’s easy to see now with hindsight the 2016 group but I don’t see guys like Picko and Smith in this side. But doesn’t mean it won’t eventuate. I just don’t see it yet with this team. It’s like each time we’ve faced a pressure situation, we’ve had to manufacture some sort of response each time. Like when the giants went after Bont. It’s like the coaches had to tell the playing group that wasn’t ok and next time retaliate. We didn’t respond to Long and the saints game either. Even last week it felt like the players had to manufacture some aggression and it lasted about a quarter. It just doesn’t feel like these attributes come naturally to this team. We’ve got yet another chance on Sunday so let’s see who steps up to the plate. If we’re run over by yet another inexperienced finals side, it won’t reflect well.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 02:53 PM
That we are playing the obtuse, insightless, PED riddled, salary cap cheating, corrupt, nouveau riche, bougie, scum rats from Essendon really ramps up how important it is that our best qualities are on display and we get a result.

But I will be shattered if the question “is our true face the brilliant, robust footy we are capable of, or the shell shocked, joyless footy recently re-emerged?” is answered in the negative against this mob. Legitimately broken.

There is a lot riding on this in terms of our Club’s identity. We can assert ourselves and affirm the new world order in this neck of the woods, of wilt and put us back into a space where pig scum like EOC fans can think they are entitled to look down their nose at us.

Crikey SOS that fired me up, give me a jumper I'm ready!

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Can't help you, sorry. It is most likely a conspiracy by AFL to pump up Essendon.

Afl and others would love the Bummers get up. C'mon doggies stick it up 'em.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2021, 03:53 PM
There's a bit of irony in the fact that right now we'd love a player who could win the ball in tight, explode from stoppage and also impact the scoreboard.... while we discuss ways to curtail Stringer.

That whole situation sucks - should have been a one club player with us (not saying he isn't to blame for it).

Rocco Jones
25-08-2021, 07:06 PM
I think they are likely to win, close call but Essendon are 1-8 vs Top 8 sides this year. The one win with us being as wasteful as it gets and them nailing everything. Yes they have some form, but the Suns and a Pies dead rubber? If they beat us, we finish the way we deserve.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 07:12 PM
I think they are likely to win, close call but Essendon are 1-8 vs Top 8 sides this year. The one win with us being as wasteful as it gets and them nailing everything. Yes they have some form, but the Suns and a Pies dead rubber? If they beat us, we finish the way we deserve.

Only 11 wins too, it's a pretty average 8th spot this year.

There's really 0 excuses it would be a massive fail to get done by this mob in a final.

I should be confident but I'm struggling to find it.

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2021, 09:14 PM

I share your loathing of Essendon and their fans. We should all be afraid of them rising again, some may forget or never have experienced what this lot are like. It’s one of the things that is most upsetting about our slip out of the top 4 with them as our opponents. For now, fear of a loss to them has overshadowed hope for a win and that’s really disappointing, to have some of the fun of being in finals dimmed when we need a bit of lightness so much.

Sedat
25-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Only 11 wins too, it's a pretty average 8th spot this year.

There's really 0 excuses it would be a massive fail to get done by this mob in a final.

I should be confident but I'm struggling to find it.
Losing in 2019 against GWS was a harsh reality check. Losing last year against St Kilda was a massive fail. Losing this week would be utterly catastrophic.

SonofScray
25-08-2021, 09:54 PM
I share your loathing of Essendon and their fans. We should all be afraid of them rising again, some may forget or never have experienced what this lot are like. It’s one of the things that is most upsetting about our slip out of the top 4 with them as our opponents. For now, fear of a loss to them has overshadowed hope for a win and that’s really disappointing, to have some of the fun of being in finals dimmed when we need a bit of lightness so much.
I am going to hold quite a bit of resentment for this group if it goes the way I think it will. Awful position to be in as a fan.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 10:54 PM
Losing in 2019 against GWS was a harsh reality check. Losing last year against St Kilda was a massive fail. Losing this week would be utterly catastrophic.

I don't think the Saints loss was a massive fall as both teams had the same number of wins, but agree losing this week is catastrophic considering we were .7% outside the top 4 and Essington have only won 11 games.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 01:06 AM

Is it though? It’s a chaotic year and hard to say what is going on behind the scenes. Will be very disappointed but in context of what is happening and about to happen, not sure it’s much more than a big disappointment. Hopefully we stick it to the bombers.

The Pie Man
26-08-2021, 01:43 AM
Just watched ‘4 days in October’ again - I’m a Cubs fan but it’s such a cool doco.

Any Red Sox & Dogs fans would’ve loved the ‘why not us?’ mantra from our 2016 run.

I don’t feel good about this week…but I’ll just say ‘don’t let the Dogs win on Sunday’

Mofra
26-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Port are humming and the margin was 2 points. We were disgraced.
I think we should fancy our chances against Essendon. The players would be thinking 'redemption'

Mantis
26-08-2021, 09:23 AM
I think we should fancy our chances against Essendon. The players would be thinking 'redemption'

Port might be humming, but they haven't been able to beat the best teams all year and really should've put us to the sword given our struggles.. big watch on them tomorrow night.

MrMahatma
26-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Port might be humming, but they haven't been able to beat the best teams all year and really should've put us to the sword given our struggles.. big watch on them tomorrow night.

It’s not out of the question that the top 2 could go out in straight sets. All this Cornes talk of our drop off from top to 5th is the biggest choke in AFL history… well, I reckon anything can happen in finals and we (and Sydney) are not your usual 5-6th placed teams.

Bulldog4life
26-08-2021, 11:00 AM
It’s not out of the question that the top 2 could go out in straight sets. All this Cornes talk of our drop off from top to 5th is the biggest choke in AFL history… well, I reckon anything can happen in finals and we (and Sydney) are not your usual 5-6th placed teams.

Agree. By the way does anyone know the history of 5th team playin 8th?

GVGjr
26-08-2021, 02:16 PM

I'm still very confident we can beat Essendon

bornadog
26-08-2021, 04:35 PM
Dog's cheeky plan to sabotage old mate ahead of do-or-die final (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670645/dog-s-cheeky-plan-to-sabotage-old-mate-ahead-of-do-or-die-final)

LACHIE Hunter has thought outside the box regarding how best to curb the influence of good mate and former teammate Jake Stringer in Sunday's AFL elimination final.

"I messaged Jake earlier this week and told him I was going to check him into a tier-one site, so he might be out for this week. We had a laugh," Western Bulldogs on-baller Hunter quipped.

"He's obviously a damaging player. He's probably in the form of his career, (similar to) what he was doing here when he was at the peak of his powers ... he's one we'll have to watch."

Essendon star Stringer's battle with his 2016 premiership teammates shapes as an entertaining subplot in Launceston.

Stringer has been a pivotal part of the Bombers' season-ending streak of three wins, which secured the final spot in the top eight.

Stringer's former side have struggled in that same stretch, logging losses to Essendon, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide while surrendering a top-four spot.

Hunter insisted on Thursday there were plenty of positives to draw from a final-round loss to Port – the Bulldogs led throughout the night until Robbie Gray put his team in front when it mattered most.

"It was a step in the right direction," he said.

"There were things we could have done better but you don't get near Port Adelaide and lose by two points without doing a few things right.

"We definitely took some confidence out of that game.

"It's easy to look at those three weeks without looking at the whole year and accumulating 15 wins. So we've just tried to focus on the positives while still focusing on what we need to improve."

The Bulldogs' recent woes have included a star-studded midfield that is yet to click since Adam Treloar's return from injury in the round-21 loss to the Bombers, which came soon after Josh Dunkley's return from quarantine.

"It's been a strength of our team and we saw that at the start of the year, how well it worked together," Hunter said.

"We're just trying to find that form and find that mix.

"With Ads and Dunks coming back in, it's just about learning how to play with all of us in there again."

kruder
27-08-2021, 03:10 PM
Does anyone think this game will look like a final? Our pressure was excellent in the first quarter last week but tailed off and it has been pathetic in the last 2 finals series while Essendon has always struggled in this area.

If it's a basketball match, I'd say it will end up like last year against St Kilda. If we bring the heat I think we can win and win well but it does scare me when Young/ Schache etc players that have always struggled with intensity might have to play key roles.

SquirrelGrip
27-08-2021, 03:52 PM
Margin: 78 points
First goal: Libba
Best on ground: Da Bont

Bring it on!

bornadog
27-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Does anyone think this game will look like a final? Our pressure was excellent in the first quarter last week but tailed off and it has been pathetic in the last 2 finals series while Essendon has always struggled in this area.

If it's a basketball match, I'd say it will end up like last year against St Kilda. If we bring the heat I think we can win and win well but it does scare me when Young/ Schache etc players that have always struggled with intensity might have to play key roles.

Finals always go up a notch.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 04:08 PM

If we start like we did against Port it might be too much for them.

Ozza
27-08-2021, 04:56 PM
I'm not feeling super confident, particularly not after an uninspiring selection - but I do think if forced to predict, that we should win.

Dogs by 15 points
First Goal Vandermeer
BOG Macrae

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 05:56 PM
I’d imagine our club/coach/players will be feeling a lot of pressure, but I’d also imagine Essendon, who haven’t played a final for A LONG TIME, would also be feeling some pressure. As they have been out of the finals for yonks, we’ve just gotta hope that the nerves get to them. This is why a “Hunter” mentality needs to be implemented from the first bounce.
We need to be hungry, unnerving and BRUTAL in all execution. We need to block, tackle, smother, and almost cross that line with aggression. We need to make them scurry like the rats that they are.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Essendon’s Nick Hind has been ruled out of Sunday’s Elimination Final clash.

Having attended a Tier 2 exposure site, Hind has returned a negative test, but Tasmanian Government regulations prevent him from entering the state

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 05:59 PM

Having attended a Tier 2 exposure site, Hind has returned a negative test, but Tasmanian Government regulations prevent him from entering the state

Massive win.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Massive win.

He is a fast little bugger. They get alot of drive from him from the backline.

jeemak
27-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Unchanged.

This should be fun.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Unchanged.

This should be fun.

Who for?

bulldogtragic
27-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Nick Hind out for them with a Tier 2 attendance. That helps a little.

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Unchanged.

This should be fun.
If you’re talking about us…I’m not surprised at all. West was a name they probably threw a dart at.

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 06:13 PM
He is a fast little bugger. They get alot of drive from him from the backline.

I was thinking of JJ or someone to tag him. A big out for them. Has been in great form and like you said, sets them up from defence very well.

bornadog
27-08-2021, 06:16 PM
I was thinking of JJ or someone to tag him. A big out for them. Has been in great form and like you said, sets them up from defence very well.

My stomach is churning with nerves. This is one game we need to put away. I really hate Essendon.

MrMahatma
27-08-2021, 06:19 PM
My stomach is churning with nerves. This is one game we need to put away. I really hate Essendon.

I’m nervous too. I mean, we really should win and by a fair margin. I just don’t think I’m ready for this season to end. It’d be suuuch a shame if we go out in week 1, same as the last 2 years, after really believing this year we’re in the hunt.

I reckon we win and then it’s game on.

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 06:21 PM

I’m actually feeling quite calm…maybe coz I’ll be at the game, I’m not sure haha.
I’ll probably feel sick come 3:20pm Sunday though.

comrade
27-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Funnily enough, going in with the side named as it is has calmed the nerves. Expectations couldn’t be lower.

1eyedog
27-08-2021, 06:38 PM

Well that's a good result he's a good player.

DOG GOD
27-08-2021, 06:44 PM
As much as I don’t like this team we have chosen, I’m looking at the fact that last time we played, Draper had a blinder, Wright played and kicked like GOD. We didn’t have Keath or Weightman. Bruce and Scott missed absolute sitters (both not playing). We got killed in the centre and around the ball. They win by 2 goals, after they kicked 10.1 from set shots and we kicked 4.9

I don’t feel as apprehensive as most on here. As I’m a Tasmanian, I also don’t feel the angst/hate towards Essendon. I understand why you do, and maybe that broadens the feelings of this game for others.

I think the first 10 mins will tell a great deal. It will be make or break in the centre. Both teams will have their time in the sun, where they have all the play. During these periods, we need to stop the quick Fire scoring of Essendon, just as we need to really take advantage when things start working for us. In most likely windy conditions, goal kicking may once again go a long way to crowning the winner.

Jeanette54
27-08-2021, 07:13 PM
This match committee has driven me to drink, and I've never had the courtesy to thank them.

With apologies to W.C. Fields.

Mofra
27-08-2021, 07:22 PM
I'm confident. Hind is huge, JJ would have spent all game shadowing him and now can hopefully play a little higher and a bit more attacking

Grantysghost
27-08-2021, 07:26 PM
I'm confident. Hind is huge, JJ would have spent all game shadowing him and now can hopefully play a little higher and a bit more attacking

It's a lucky break. My mate who is the rare sensible Dons fan really rates him. He basically says they replaced Saad with a pick in the 60s.

Not sure what the Saints were thinking.

No Walla either they're missing some speed now.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Could have easily happened to us. And may still do. Tough break, touch Wood.

The Pie Man
27-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Funnily enough, going in with the side named as it is has calmed the nerves. Expectations couldn’t be lower.

Like the natural valium Nick Riewoldt was to me in the 3rd quarter of the ‘10 prelim.

So wound up at half time with a lead (if I had an Apple Watch at the time…) almost fell asleep in the GSS early in the 4th qtr.

G-Mo77
27-08-2021, 08:21 PM
So we're pretty much unchanged since the last time we embarrassed ourselves over there? Why that sits fine with people I have no idea?

Don't know what to expect TBH. We're good enough to put the sword to them. They're not a defensive team so our mids should get off the leash more than they have in recent weeks......yeah, I'm pretty flat.

Bullies
27-08-2021, 10:11 PM
I'm confident. Hind is huge, JJ would have spent all game shadowing him and now can hopefully play a little higher and a bit more attacking Maybe we can drop JJ if there is no role for him

angelopetraglia
27-08-2021, 10:44 PM
Weather forecast is 90% chance of rain and 11c at the bounce. In a tough final in wet conditions … would you like Mitch Wallis in our forward line?

bornadog
27-08-2021, 11:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9yOTyKVEAM-UW5?format=jpg&name=medium

MrMahatma
27-08-2021, 11:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9yOTyKVEAM-UW5?format=jpg&name=medium

I’m not sure he kicks another bag of 7 ever again against anyone.

jeemak
28-08-2021, 01:09 AM
I’m not sure he kicks another bag of 7 ever again against anyone.

He gets to hold a place on the list of mediocre forwards who have a day out against the Bulldogs, and that's something I suppose!

kruder
28-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Got to love waking up to another Geelong finals loss just wished it was our boys slaying em. You could see the difference in pressure around the ball between the two sides, we bring that kind of pressure and we can win well even with an undermanned forward line.

hujsh
28-08-2021, 03:10 PM
So what has been the feeling on playing in Tassie rather than Adelaide?

Annoyed our preference was seemingly ignored or too tired to care?

bornadog
28-08-2021, 03:14 PM
We are so lucky to have a guy like Bont in the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kJYysKp30&ab_channel=Michael

Webby
28-08-2021, 03:24 PM
Closest thing to a GF for me, personally, tomorrow!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Doggies. Be ruthless!

DOG GOD
28-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Well 1) I’m happy coz I can go to the game, but 2) our record here sucks ;)
I guess once Melb chose Adelaide and Port had the rights to a final there as well, they couldn’t have 3/4 finals at the one ground.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Closest thing to a GF for me, personally, tomorrow!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Doggies. Be ruthless!

Enjoy !

Mitcha
28-08-2021, 05:10 PM
The two things that scare me most about tomorrow.
The collective circle jerk from all at Channel Essendon that will be as biased and one eyed as any game call in recent history. Putting up with Timmy Timmy Watson’s Essendon sports report every night is bad enough but this will be on a different level.
Number two is having to watch our blokes overcome demons with every set shot opportunity. Here’s hoping for a lot of goals in general play. I detest this mob even more than the plastics from GWS so really need to continue their finals drought for another 365 days to give me some enjoyment from lockdown 7 or whatever it is.

G-Mo77
28-08-2021, 05:38 PM

Look at it today, beautiful ground. The amount of angst over playing at a neutral ground this week has been laughable.

bornadog
28-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Look at it today, beautiful ground. The amount of angst over playing at a neutral ground this week has been laughable.

Tomorrow rain.

G-Mo77
28-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Tomorrow rain.

Rain tomorrow in Adelaide as well.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 05:45 PM

90 percent Dons fans probably won't be so neutral, but I think it will rev us up.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2021, 05:46 PM
I would think rain works against Essendon. Not sure how it affects us. Our skills are fairly putrid right now so it shouldn’t make much of a difference but at least bring Essendon down a notch or two.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 05:51 PM
I would think rain works against Essendon. Not sure how it affects us. Our skills are fairly putrid right now so it shouldn’t make much of a difference but at least bring Essendon down a notch or two.

I think that's right. A slog might be ok for us. Certainly stops 2MP!

G-Mo77
28-08-2021, 05:53 PM
90 percent Dons fans probably won't be so neutral, but I think it will rev us up.

It'd be the same in SA or any other neutral ground we play. Like them or not they have a huge following.

bornadog
28-08-2021, 05:57 PM
I think that's right. A slog might be ok for us. Certainly stops 2MP!

West Coast game was in pouring rain for the first half, and we did well there

DOG GOD
28-08-2021, 07:04 PM

We’ve been fumbling a lot under the roof..rain will make no difference….to us at least.

The bulldog tragician
28-08-2021, 07:33 PM
We are so lucky to have a guy like Bont in the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kJYysKp30&ab_channel=Michael

He really is Mr Perfect

bornadog
28-08-2021, 07:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E93WB_6UUAQ5fIe?format=jpg&name=medium

chef
28-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Who do we play next week?

Eastdog
28-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Who do we play next week?

If we win we play the loser of the Melbourne/Brisbane match.

chef
28-08-2021, 08:07 PM
If we win we play the loser of the Melbourne/Brisbane match.

If?

Hopefully Brisbane at the Gabba .

bulldogtragic
28-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Herald Sun out in force:

“A two-minute visit to a Covid exposure site could mean Nick Hind misses a semi-final, should Essendon win on Sunday.”

I wonder if we will even fly to Tassie.

Eastdog
28-08-2021, 08:45 PM
Battle of the Maribyrnong tomorrow. Cmon Dogs we can do this.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Looking at the sub:

We can cover smalls/mids, rule out Scott & West
If anything happens to out two KPDs then we need Schache or Gardner
If anything happens to Young, we need Schache
If anything happens to Naughton or English, we need Schache

I think the sub needs to be Schache.

bornadog
28-08-2021, 09:08 PM
Herald Sun out in force:

“A two-minute visit to a Covid exposure site could mean Nick Hind misses a semi-final, should Essendon win on Sunday.”

I wonder if we will even fly to Tassie.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E93DSQVVgAAMFbp?format=jpg&name=large

chef
28-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Looking at the sub:

We can cover smalls/mids, rule out Scott & West
If anything happens to out two KPDs then we need Schache or Gardner
If anything happens to Young, we need Schache
If anything happens to Naughton or English, we need Schache

I think the sub needs to be Schache.

Only worry is Schache lack of intensity in a final.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2021, 09:23 PM
Only worry is Schache lack of intensity in a final.

He’s a sub so if selected he might not play. But his versatility gives us insurance I think. We will find out the rest if he takes the field.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Unless absolutely pissing down, and even if then probably, I think we go Schache as medi-sub.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2021, 09:29 PM
Unless absolutely pissing down, and even if then probably, I think we go Schache as medi-sub.

Schache was very good in the rain vs Melbourne.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Schache was very good in the rain vs Melbourne.

Yeah, I'd have him in our starting 22. Hopefully gets a good pre-season at it and we go with Keath, Gardner and Schache next year.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2021, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I'd have him in our starting 22. Hopefully gets a good pre-season at it and we go with Keath, Gardner and Schache next year.

I’m really looking forward to it. Those three are different sorts of KPDs, so it would be great for us if we can get them to gel. Assuming we don’t trade for one either.

DOG GOD
28-08-2021, 09:55 PM

100% rain and 9 degrees is the Launceston forecast at 3pm ;)

Could be “Ballarat” type conditions.

comrade
28-08-2021, 10:49 PM
100% rain and 9 degrees is the Launceston forecast at 3pm ;)

Could be “Ballarat” type conditions.

Why they schedule a game in Tassie or Ballarat for late afternoon I’ll never know.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2021, 10:52 PM
Why they schedule a game in Tassie or Ballarat for late afternoon I’ll never know.

TV says 'hi'.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 11:00 PM
So we win does that mean a game at the Gabba? Top 4 is really where it's at right.

bornadog
28-08-2021, 11:03 PM
So we win does that mean a game at the Gabba? Top 4 is really where it's at right.

So you lose and get a home game

comrade
28-08-2021, 11:04 PM

That’s the word going around.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 11:07 PM
Just speaking to a Bombers friend. His mate in Tassie used his membership to get a ticket and he's driving up from Hobart.

This is how it works i guess.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2021, 11:11 PM

Yeah, unless there are covid cases in Queensland this week.

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 11:12 PM
So you lose and get a home game

We really were the better side and way more deserving of a top 4 spot. Lions weren't and that's been shown tonight. They scraped in by some amazing cosmic turn of events and the Dees have capitalised.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2021, 11:17 PM
Here we go. AFEL will want Daniher vs Bombers

boydogs
29-08-2021, 01:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E93DSQVVgAAMFbp?format=jpg&name=large

Isn't that Sweet infront of Naughton? Despite not being named an emergency

jeemak
29-08-2021, 02:01 AM
The whole squad except for the long term injured travelled. They won't be back in Melbourne again unless we lose.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2021, 07:35 AM
The whole squad except for the long term injured travelled. They won't be back in Melbourne again unless we lose.

Long road trip for the boys. Results have gone our way and after beating the Injectors today, it looks like a Melbourne v Bulldogs GF

MrMahatma
29-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Now for the excruciating wait until 3:20…

ReLoad
29-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Looks crazy wet down there today, suits us or them better?

azabob
29-08-2021, 09:05 AM
I’ve just read how hard the road trip will be for the winner of today’s game.

It really re-enforces how much we dropped the ball in the last three weeks.

I hope the players are a bit more positive than I am this morning.

SonofScray
29-08-2021, 09:23 AM
SCRAGGERS - it’s game day. Fire up.

We’ve been riding this roller coaster, a weird VR simulation because of the pandemic. Watching on telly it’s like being trapped in Ron Burgundy’s “glass case of emotion.” There have been cheers and tears. Fists shaking in frustration, in celebration. Even some spats amongst us about how best to behave as a fan in this strange online world where the catharsis and joy are sometimes muted, but the disappointment seems to get ramped up. Let’s be kind to one another, and come out snarling.

We’re 4Q away from answering a question that’s been sitting front and square for quite some time now. “What is the true face of this Bulldogs team?” A. The brilliant, cohesive, relentless and joyful Saltwater Lads or B. the disorganised, startled, labouring Representatives of Stoneopolis?

Lock in A thanks, Teddy.

Let’s &#$’ these &”#$ing Essendon #$&*’

Mantis
29-08-2021, 09:31 AM
Looks crazy wet down there today, suits us or them better?

I think it suits us better.. our form in the wet is quite good.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Cruel making us wait so late…

I’m feeling confident this AM.

DOG GOD
29-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Not raining here as yet, but VERY overcast…rain predicted to start around 9:30
No wind to speak of as yet.
I’m about 10 mins drive from the ground.
I’m feeling a little sick in my stomach lol but thinking the rain will help us. Will negate 2MP for starters.

comrade
29-08-2021, 10:11 AM
Feeling pretty calm this morning but it might be more apathy than anything. That being said, if we lose to the Bombers, I don’t think I’ll be able to forgive this group!