PDA

View Full Version : Flea ready for finals fever

bornadog
25-08-2021, 04:11 PM
link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1008067/flea-ready-for-finals-fever)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2021/08/25/b5ebef8c-db76-4b00-8e18-4df36135fb59/HERO_250821_fea.jpg?width=952&height=592

Livewire forward Cody Weightman can’t wait for his first taste of finals footy.

The 20-year-old will get that opportunity on Sunday afternoon, as the Western Bulldogs take on Essendon in an elimination final at UTAS Stadum in Launceston.

Weightman has become an important member of the Bulldogs’ forward line in only his second season at AFL level.

He has kicked 21 goals in his 13 AFL games in 2021, after breaking into the side in round nine.

“I’m super excited. It’ll be my first final and I can’t wait to see what finals football is like,” Weightman said.

“The boys have been really good at splitting up the disappointment of the last couple weeks, moving on straight away and building a new energy.

“It’s a different year in a way, finals.

“Strange things have happened in our past in our club’s history and we’re excited and looking forward to the opportunity we’ve got ahead of us.”

Weightman has endured a strange opening to his AFL career.

His first year was spent largely in the Gold Coast hub and his second has again been impacted by Covid changes, largely playing in front of no fans or limited fans.

Despite not being able to play at Marvel Stadium in front of a full house of Bulldogs supporters this week, Weightman is pumped to be running out at a sold out UTAS Stadium.

“We got a little taste test of Launceston against the Hawks – it was great to play in front of fans and hopefully we’ll get even more Dogs fans this time,” Weightman said.

“We’ve got such a great supporter base and particularly in times like these, we play for them.”

1eyedog
25-08-2021, 07:40 PM
We need some snags Flea.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 08:49 PM
We need some snags Flea.

Didn't play last time against Bombres, and we did miss him

Ghost Dog
26-08-2021, 01:07 AM
Hope he kicks one or two and gives Stringer an earful. Would be fun to watch.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Went down media street and then backed it up. Actions > Words.

Awesome first final Flea.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Went down media street and then backed it up. Actions > Words.

Awesome first final Flea.

He was terrific. Best final debut I've seen from a bulldog player. One of the best I've seen full stop.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 10:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-CJTTJUUAEjrbM?format=jpg&name=large

The bulldog tragician
30-08-2021, 10:13 PM
Josh Bruce went on Cody’s Instagram to give the trolls a metaphorical black eye. Absolutely loved to see it.

comrade
30-08-2021, 10:19 PM
If there’s a kid on our list that can handle some haters, it’s Cody I reckon. The guy is a ray of sunshine in human form.

Watch his reaction to Vanders laying the big HtB tackle in the last, absolutely frothing for his teammate.

A Dogs champ in the making.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:23 PM
If there’s a kid on our list that can handle some haters, it’s Cody I reckon. The guy is a ray of sunshine in human form.

Watch his reaction to Vanders laying the big HtB tackle in the last, absolutely frothing for his teammate.

A Dogs champ in the making.

Or when Naughts marked at the top of the goal square when the game was as good as dead. He just loves life and playing footy. A bunch of flogs online isn’t going to make a big dent, I absolutely agree.

The practical over correction by umpires is the only concern I have.

comrade
30-08-2021, 10:37 PM
Or when Naughts marked at the top of the goal square when the game was as good as dead. He just loves life and playing footy. A bunch of flogs online isn’t going to make a big dent, I absolutely agree.

The practical over correction by umpires is the only concern I have.

The over correction will happen from the umpires but I can also see defenders crap themselves a bit when he’s near the ball, not knowing if he’ll draw one or not so hesitating or giving him some extra room.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-CJTTJUUAEjrbM?format=jpg&name=large

That's one

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:41 PM
The over correction will happen from the umpires but I can also see defenders crap themselves a bit when he’s near the ball, not knowing if he’ll draw one or not so hesitating or giving him some extra room.

He’s going to be a handful either way. At the GABBA with great conditions Pagans Paddock could be on and leading may not have too much umpire impact. But that first quarter vs North shows he has different ways to skin oppositions. How lucky we are to have got him!

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:43 PM
He’s going to be a handful either way. At the GABBA with great conditions Pagans Paddock could be on and leading may not have too much umpire impact. But that first quarter vs North shows he has different ways to skin oppositions. How lucky we are to have got him!

He's just what we needed in the forward line. His strength over head, anticipation, kicking accuracy and love of team are a great skillset for us. He will learn to get front and centre to contests involving English, Naughton, Shaq and Bruce as his career progresses too because he's a smart footballer.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 11:25 PM
He has had nominations for Goal of the year, (Port over his head to seal the game), Mark of the year, on top of Gawn and a rising star nomination.

He is exciting to watch.

Doc26
31-08-2021, 12:29 AM
Loved Gerard Healy on On the Couch tonight ripping the Essendon “Cowards” for their attack on Cody. Didn’t mix his words and also came prepared with footage of Cody getting a blatant push in the back with no free called, and took a
further stab at the commentary for no mention of the missed free. Well
done Gerard.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 03:51 AM
Loved Gerard Healy on On the Couch tonight ripping the Essendon “Cowards” for their attack on Cody. Didn’t mix his words and also came prepared with footage of Cody getting a blatant push in the back with no free called, and took a
further stab at the commentary for no mention of the missed free. Well
done Gerard.

Yep, thought that was very well done.

Mitcha
31-08-2021, 05:16 PM
He has had nominations for Goal of the year, (Port over his head to seal the game), Mark of the year, on top of Gawn and a rising star nomination.

He is exciting to watch.
Speaking of the rising star how did the fleabag end up in this? I haven’t seen the final voting posted anywhere.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Speaking of the rising star how did the fleabag end up in this? I haven’t seen the final voting posted anywhere.

I think he got 2 votes or something. The Melbourne bloke missing a tooth got the award

jazzadogs
31-08-2021, 08:57 PM
I think he got 2 votes or something. The Melbourne bloke missing a tooth got the award

Yep, Cameron Ling was the only person to give Cody votes. I thought he was unlucky not to get more, and was surprised Georgiades was such a unanimous top 3 pick in comparison.

1. Luke Jackson (Melbourne) — 51 votes

2. Tom Green (GWS Giants) — 38

3. Mitch Georgiades (Port Adelaide) — 28

4. Justin McInerney (Sydney Swans) — 14

5. Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans) — 11

=6. Trent Rivers (Melbourne) and Harry Schoenberg (Adelaide) — 7

8. James Jordon (Melbourne) — 5

9. Cody Weightman (Western Bulldogs) — 2

=10. Hayden Young (Fremantle) and Nik Cox (Essendon) — 1