Twodogs
27-08-2021, 09:25 PM
One more time, three things.

GVGjr
29-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 06:46 PM
1. Cody Weightman is a Future Captain. A young man that can will 21 others into action. Amazing.
2. Will the media report Cody gets 4 from frees, or Essendon got 50% of all goals from 50’s ?
3. Gardner is a huge upgrade on Cordy. Schache able to help out down back early, but then kicks 2 and arguably the sealer

westdog54
29-08-2021, 07:35 PM
1. Lewis Young has done the 'Joel Hamling'. Come into the side at the right time and cemented his spot. Can't see him being dropped this series.

2. We are a demonstrably better team when Alex Keath plays.

3. Never has the 'In Bevo we trust' mantra been more applicable.

westbulldog
29-08-2021, 07:50 PM
1. Treloar and Dunkley getting better by the week.
2. Alex Keath is a very good defender (Dixon 0-0, 2MP 0-0), well supported by Williams, Dale, Duryea and (today) Wood.
3. Young and Schache earned their selections and should stay in the team next week.

Ghost Dog
29-08-2021, 07:56 PM
had to work today.
opened my browser and almost fell off my chair with delight.

1. Bombers 7th finals loss. That I did not know. See you next year bombers.
2. Cody weightman has overtaken Hunter as the Coat-hanger king.
3. Josh has a beautiful kicking action. I forgot how good a set shot he is. Well done mate!

bornadog
29-08-2021, 08:18 PM
1. We are a top 4 team - missed by percentage but won i a crucial final

2. If one mid is not playing well, we have plenty more to back up

3. Bevo is a master at planning and on game day.

whythelongface
29-08-2021, 08:56 PM
1. Treloar and Dunkley getting better by the week.
2. Alex Keath is a very good defender (Dixon 0-0, 2MP 0-0), well supported by Williams, Dale, Duryea and (today) Wood.
3. Young and Schache earned their selections and should stay in the team next week.

I know we have Bont et al but for mine Keath (structurally) is our most important player.

Dry Rot
30-08-2021, 12:05 AM
1. These days, our bottom 6 are pretty good

2. 2019 SF, Cordy and JJ in the team = loss

2020 SF, Cordy and JJ in the team = loss

2021 SF, Cordy and JJ NOT in the team = WIN

3, Schache definitely has a role up forward, and Hannan can play

Flamethrower
30-08-2021, 10:46 AM
1. If you are not good enough to kick a goal in an entire half of football, then you have no right to complain about a couple of dubious free kicks.

2. Current form means very little come finals time.

3. The mute button is your friend when Channel Essendon are commentating games.

Mantis
30-08-2021, 10:50 AM
1. We are a top 4 team - missed by percentage but won i a crucial final

2. If one mid is not playing well, we have plenty more to back up

3. Bevo is a master at planning and on game day.

I think we find out this weekend if we are a top 4 team as beating a team that just crept into the finals and who won less than 50% of their games across the season isn't really something to hang our hat on.

Boots
30-08-2021, 01:30 PM
1. There is still some fire in the boys' bellies

2. Cody Weightman is brilliant

3. BigFooty is a purulent cesspit and should be scoured from the internet by a vengeful and righteous fire

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 01:31 PM
1. There is still some fire in the boys' bellies

2. Cody Weightman is brilliant

3. BigFooty is a purulent cesspit and should be scoured from the internet by a vengeful and righteous fire

I feel there’s a story here. Do tell.

MrMahatma
30-08-2021, 01:51 PM
1. Cody is a great set shot.
2. Schache is a great set shot.
3. Having natural forwards means that you make the most of your chances.

The Pie Man
30-08-2021, 02:01 PM
1. A forward line with some nous around goals can kick you a score - the Schache late change was pivotal, well done.
2. English can be effective as the 2nd ruck in bursts, there’s no need to hide him from it
3. Finishing 5th might’ve been worth it just to beat Essendon in a final

Boots
30-08-2021, 04:15 PM
I feel there’s a story here. Do tell.

Oh it's just me venting TBH, I shouldn't get this worked up over idiots on the internet. I don't post there, I just lurk and I have a joke going with a colleague who's also a Doggies supporter about how it's 98% garbage and 2% deeply insightful and incisive football commentary - the problem being avoiding the 98%!

Anyway I made the mistake of reading the game day thread on their main board and the hate for Cody was disgusting. The Essendon fans I could understand but then Swans and Dees supporters started piling in. Then it faded into reprosecuting the 2016 Grand Final "apology" again and it just left a bad taste in the mouth. Extra annoying given I have a soft spot for both Sydney (being from there originally) and Melbourne (Melbourne family are huge Dees supporters).

I am heartily sick of football "fans" who can't figure out that frees are a) not balanced by design and b) an intrinsic part of a very dynamic and complex game. Denigrating Weightman's performance alongside the Dogs' 2016 Grand Final performance makes me think these people don't deserve to be fans of such a magnificent game.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Cody still had to kick them all, including from deep in a pocket, which is skilful. Dermott Brereton said all the frees were there. It’s easier blame others for your own shortcomings, than acknowledge reality.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2021, 04:32 PM
The jealousy warms my heart. If opposition fans are sooking about us then we’re doing something right. Any team that’s a threat gets attacked for one reason or another. I’d rather opposition fans hate us than be indifferent.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 04:35 PM
The jealousy warms my heart. If opposition fans are sooking about us then we’re doing something right. Any team that’s a threat gets attacked for one reason or another. I’d rather opposition fans hate us than be indifferent.

Yep. Give me vitriol over ‘Bulldogs are my second team’ every day of the week.

Topdog
30-08-2021, 04:53 PM
I didnt learn this but it was confirmed that I hate Essendon.

comrade
30-08-2021, 05:05 PM
I didnt learn this but it was confirmed that I hate Essendon.

The only silver lining to the preceding 3 weeks is the fact we took the opportunity to extend Essendon’s finals curse. The biggest shame is we weren’t all there to see those losers streaming out of the ground about half way through the last.

Mofra
30-08-2021, 05:19 PM
1. It took long enough, but last quarter Dunkley was the old Dunkley. He can get back to his best.

2. Lachie Hunter can show real toughness. Took hits and gutsy marks, to back up his 'running with the flight of the ball' effort a few weeks back. Back to VC in 2022

3. If you were to completely ignore his forward craft, you would be praising Cody Weightman's efforts between the arcs. His first quarter smother got us going, and he took at least two good marks under pressure through the middle of the ground. Dare I say it - he's becoming the full package?

DOG GOD
30-08-2021, 05:48 PM
1. Weightman brings the energy which really lifts those around him. Especially Naughton and Hannan.
2. When our mids have a defensive mindset and a willingness to chase, smother, block, tackle, then yeah, we do have the best mids in the AFL
3. Fingers crossed that Treloar and Dunks are almost back to their best. We need them at 100% committed next week

whythelongface
30-08-2021, 07:26 PM
3. Fingers crossed that Treloar and Dunks are almost back to their best. We need them at 100% committed next week

They both started to get a bit more of the ball as the game wore on, particularly Treloar. Think he ended up with 25+ possessions - mainly when the game started to become more open.

jeemak
30-08-2021, 07:59 PM
1. Cody Weightman is super fit for a young fella

2. It doesn't have to be a full game trend when we don't put our best foot forward early, in a big game/ finals. We can get our acts together, as long as we hang in there

3. Crashing a party is fun

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 09:57 PM
What did everyone else think of Treloar's second half? I thought he willed himself into the game based on his work rate alone.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Huge. It felt like it might have been the switch being flicked on regaining touch. In the rain and pressure of the second half his numbers were brilliant off the back of gut running:

18 Disposals, 3 Intercept, 2 Marks, 5 Tackles (3 x I50), 1 Clearance, 4 x I50, 1 x R50, 1 GA, Running Shot through 50 for the first time since back, no CBA (ie outside role)

I hope both he and Dunkley have turned the corner with games now.

comrade
30-08-2021, 10:16 PM

The preceding 3 weeks have burnt me so badly that I’ll need more than a half before believing again but IF they have turned a corner, look out!

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:27 PM
1. It took long enough, but last quarter Dunkley was the old Dunkley. He can get back to his best.

2. Lachie Hunter can show real toughness. Took hits and gutsy marks, to back up his 'running with the flight of the ball' effort a few weeks back. Back to VC in 2022

3. If you were to completely ignore his forward craft, you would be praising Cody Weightman's efforts between the arcs. His first quarter smother got us going, and he took at least two good marks under pressure through the middle of the ground. Dare I say it - he's becoming the full package?

I see what you did there.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:28 PM
Cody still had to kick them all, including from deep in a pocket, which is skilful. Dermott Brereton said all the frees were there. It’s easier blame others for your own shortcomings, than acknowledge reality.

Exactly. Well said BT.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:28 PM
The preceding 3 weeks have burnt me so badly that I’ll need more than a half before believing again but IF they have turned a corner, look out!

I’m preparing to buy shares in them. If the early action when the market opens is good, I’m selling all my Jarrad Grant & Tom Boyd shares and then buy as much Bromance Incorporated shares as I can get. The price will go higher than Iron Ore was 4 months ago.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:31 PM

They only hate us when we are a threat. I take the criticism as a compliment and lap it up.

its my least favourite sentence.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:34 PM
They only hate us when we are a threat. I take the criticism as a compliment and lap it up.

its my least favourite sentence.

We are their 18th Team. Suits everybody.

AshMac
30-08-2021, 10:35 PM
1. I'd forgotten how much I hate James Brayshaw commentating. The whole ch7 team in general actually. you'd never know the dogs were playing, let along kicked 8 unanswered goals!

2. Gardner is our no. 2 tall backman

3. Devon Smith is a little sniper s*** - honestly never paid him much attention but just watched the replay and he is a filthy little guttersnipe

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:37 PM
Oh it's just me venting TBH, I shouldn't get this worked up over idiots on the internet. I don't post there, I just lurk and I have a joke going with a colleague who's also a Doggies supporter about how it's 98% garbage and 2% deeply insightful and incisive football commentary - the problem being avoiding the 98%!

Anyway I made the mistake of reading the game day thread on their main board and the hate for Cody was disgusting. The Essendon fans I could understand but then Swans and Dees supporters started piling in. Then it faded into reprosecuting the 2016 Grand Final "apology" again and it just left a bad taste in the mouth. Extra annoying given I have a soft spot for both Sydney (being from there originally) and Melbourne (Melbourne family are huge Dees supporters).

I am heartily sick of football "fans" who can't figure out that frees are a) not balanced by design and b) an intrinsic part of a very dynamic and complex game. Denigrating Weightman's performance alongside the Dogs' 2016 Grand Final performance makes me think these people don't deserve to be fans of such a magnificent game.

Yep that sounds like BF alright.

KT31
30-08-2021, 11:06 PM
1.Our best could take us all the way.
2.The Media and oppositions fan love for the Drug Cheats or anyone we come up against, could only mean we are now hated more than we were loved in 2016.
3. Schache and Gardner do have have a part to play in our future.

4.After reading the first 40 pages of the Game Day Forum in retrospect of the result, my decision to not look at Woof until after the game was very wise.

Ozza
31-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Huge. It felt like it might have been the switch being flicked on regaining touch. In the rain and pressure of the second half his numbers were brilliant off the back of gut running:

18 Disposals, 3 Intercept, 2 Marks, 5 Tackles (3 x I50), 1 Clearance, 4 x I50, 1 x R50, 1 GA, Running Shot through 50 for the first time since back, no CBA (ie outside role)

It was certainly encouraging to see Treloar getting more footy and importantly, run and carry in the second half.

I have pretty big reservations about Treloar's work off the ball and don't really think he applies himself well enough in that area, there were at least a few occasions on the weekend when his efforts to chase/tackles were underwhelming.

But if he starts to give us that explosiveness and run and carry regularly - he'll be a huge asset on Saturday night in a hot game.

Mantis
31-08-2021, 03:40 PM
4.After reading the first 40 pages of the Game Day Forum in retrospect of the result, my decision to not look at Woof until after the game was very wise.

Like who really gives a shit if we all go off tap in the Game Day thread? It's a place to vent & cheer alike.

1/ Was concerned about our forwards ability to kick a score, but 12 of the 13 goals came from our forwards which was a good return.

2/ Our midfield relishes heavy conditions.. Libba is a beast and Bont's clean hands give us a huge territorial advantage.

3/ It's ultra important to take your chances in finals and except for English's miss we kicked all the ones we needed to.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2021, 03:46 PM
It was certainly encouraging to see Treloar getting more footy and importantly, run and carry in the second half.

I have pretty big reservations about Treloar's work off the ball and don't really think he applies himself well enough in that area, there were at least a few occasions on the weekend when his efforts to chase/tackles were underwhelming.

But if he starts to give us that explosiveness and run and carry regularly - he'll be a huge asset on Saturday night in a hot game.

I love Treloar but some of his defensive efforts were embarrassing. I don't think it's ever been a highlight of his game, but it was very noticeable v Essendon.

He needs to be much better in that area this week.

comrade
31-08-2021, 04:09 PM
I love Treloar but some of his defensive efforts were embarrassing. I don't think it's ever been a highlight of his game, but it was very noticeable v Essendon.

He needs to be much better in that area this week.

His first half was as poor defensively as you’d see but he laid a big tackle inside our 50 in the 3rd and I actually feel like that was the beginning of the end for Essendon. The rest of the team started to follow suit and the Bombers were cooked.

Topdog
31-08-2021, 04:16 PM
1. I'd forgotten how much I hate James Brayshaw commentating. The whole ch7 team in general actually. you'd never know the dogs were playing, let along kicked 8 unanswered goals!

The whole commentary team were all pumping up the bombers for the entire match, was infruiating.

Topdog
31-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Like who really gives a shit if we all go off tap in the Game Day thread? It's a place to vent & cheer alike.

Yeah those threads aren't for everyone but I cannot imagine reading it post the match, maybe the last 3-4 pages but certainly not the first 20.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Yeah those threads aren't for everyone but I cannot imagine reading it post the match, maybe the last 3-4 pages but certainly not the first 20.

I don't read them and frankly don't want to comment during a match. I may make a comment at quarter and half times. The rest is mostly rubbish reading, but if people want to write that stuff, good luck.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-08-2021, 04:30 PM
1. When you pick the right team miracles do happen
2. The backline was superb to hold Essendon goal less after half time
3. Given the opportunity both Young and Schache showed how important they are to our lineup.

EasternWest
31-08-2021, 04:39 PM

Post match is the best time to read when we win. It's like a rollercoaster that you know ends happily.

I don't read them and frankly don't want to comment during a match. I may make a comment at quarter and half times. The rest is mostly rubbish reading, but if people want to write that stuff, good luck.

I feel personally attacked.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 04:46 PM

1/ Was concerned about our forwards ability to kick a score, but 12 of the 13 goals came from our forwards which was a good return.

2/ Our midfield relishes heavy conditions.. Libba is a beast and Bont's clean hands give us a huge territorial advantage.

3/ It's ultra important to take your chances in finals and except for English's miss we kicked all the ones we needed to.

I think last week was a bit different, because given our moods people were going off tap before the game had even started!

jeemak
31-08-2021, 04:50 PM
Post match is the best time to read when we win. It's like a rollercoaster that you know ends happily.

I think the in-game stuff mimics a pantomime most of the time anyway. The F-bomb gets dropped because there's a filter blocking the F-bomb. It adds effect and articulates frustration.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 04:56 PM

Nah, never. I don't care what people write, and I don't need the feel to read it anymore.

EasternWest
31-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Nah, never. I don't care what people write, and I don't need the feel to read it anymore.

https://i.postimg.cc/gcgmFKM9/Lebowski-Opinion-Meme.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

DOG GOD
31-08-2021, 05:36 PM

Totally agree. A few times right in front of me, his “running efforts” left a lot to be desired.

Jeanette54
31-08-2021, 05:45 PM

I for one treat the match day thread like a seat in the old John Gent stand at Western Oval. Match day intervals are a chance to chat with the other supporters, although its sometimes disappointing to see players criticised unfairly.

Match day would not be the same without it.

But I could certainly do without the "f#*K off player X" or "player B should never play again comments". Even the little old ladies sitting around the boundary fence never got down to that level, although they did teach me a few words that I couldn't ever use at home.

Ozza
31-08-2021, 06:18 PM
His first half was as poor defensively as you’d see but he laid a big tackle inside our 50 in the 3rd and I actually feel like that was the beginning of the end for Essendon. The rest of the team started to follow suit and the Bombers were cooked.

Ever seen him when an opposition player moves to block/shepherd......Treloar kryptonite! Immediately gives up.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Ever seen him when an opposition player moves to block/shepherd......Treloar kryptonite! Immediately gives up.

Yeah, he does… but I guess also, why smash your body? I saw him do it a couple of times and he was not going to impact the play and only would’ve banged himself up. Why do it?

jeemak
31-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Yeah, he does… but I guess also, why smash your body? I saw him do it a couple of times and he was not going to impact the play and only would’ve banged himself up. Why do it?

Bang them up. Make them think twice about shepherding.

Grantysghost
31-08-2021, 06:39 PM

He should do what I used to do, just pump your arms fast and it appears you're trying.
Well that's what I told myself...

Treloar looked off in all aspects in the first half, he gave away a free and looked really frustrated and appeared out of synch with the flow of the game.
He seems like a confidence player so it was really exciting to see him seem more like the guy from the first half of the season in the second half.

comrade
31-08-2021, 06:42 PM

Yeah, happened a lot on the weekend. Reckon he’s so short of a gallop, it’s impacted his confidence to push through those things.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2021, 09:20 PM

Agreed. It appeared to me Bont had a quick chat to him at one of the breaks (during the coverage you could see them come together and Bont speaking with him). He clicked into gear afterwards. I’m probably just drawing a conclusion to build the narrative Bont is Best, but hey, maybe I did see what I thought I saw.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2021, 09:21 PM
I think last week was a bit different, because given our moods people were going off tap before the game had even started!

Yeah, it was (understandably) quite negative. We all deal with stuff differently - I really enjoy reading the little bits and pieces that everyone picks up on to infer if we are on or not. We are all guessing, but the different things everyone notices is fascinating.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it was (understandably) quite negative. We all deal with stuff differently - I really enjoy reading the little bits and pieces that everyone picks up on to infer if we are on or not. We are all guessing, but the different things everyone notices is fascinating.

Absolutely. How perception meets perspective and what drives each here is kinda cool.

1eyedog
31-08-2021, 09:59 PM

It hadn't exactly been the most enterprising 3 weeks that preceded the Essenbin match.

Boots
01-09-2021, 02:02 PM

I'm at the point where I'd gladly pay extra for a stream of the match with no commentators.

My housemate reckons Brayshaw's nasal roaring is motivated more by the chance he'll feature on the endless replays of whatever moment he's calling than an actual interest in the game. It means he goes up for the inane elongated scream of the player's name a full two seconds before anything's actually happened. Even a broken clock is right twice a day I guess.

Grantysghost
01-09-2021, 02:36 PM
I'm at the point where I'd gladly pay extra for a stream of the match with no commentators.

My housemate reckons Brayshaw's nasal roaring is motivated more by the chance he'll feature on the endless replays of whatever moment he's calling than an actual interest in the game. It means he goes up for the inane elongated scream of the player's name a full two seconds before anything's actually happened. Even a broken clock is right twice a day I guess.

Totally agree - I just want to hear the sounds of the game and no commentary. Would happily pay for it and it's easily done. Probably never happen as they'd have to admit their bozo commentators are ruining the experience.

Jason Bennett excluded.

mjp
01-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Totally agree - I just want to hear the sounds of the game and no commentary. Would happily pay for it and it's easily done. Probably never happen as they'd have to admit their bozo commentators are ruining the experience.

Jason Bennett excluded.

It's frustrating because we used to have that option...why Fox took it away I will never know.

jeemak
01-09-2021, 03:42 PM
It hadn't exactly been the most enterprising 3 weeks that preceded the Essenbin match.

Whoever came up with it is a sadistic mess.

The bulldog tragician
01-09-2021, 03:50 PM
It's frustrating because we used to have that option...why Fox took it away I will never know.

Because it would be embarrassing how often it's utilised?

1eyedog
01-09-2021, 10:51 PM

Too many F bombs I reckon.

Twodogs
01-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Too many F bombs I reckon.

*!*!*!*! off! Really?

SonofScray
02-09-2021, 08:40 AM
All they need to do to fix it is stop employing ex footballers.

1eyedog
02-09-2021, 09:56 AM
All they need to do to fix it is stop employing ex footballers.

Yep just get a really good special comments person and stop using Hollywood.