PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Elimination Final, 2021 vs Essendon

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2021, 12:26 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in today's Elimination Final against Essendon. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 07:07 PM
The Schache for JJ ‘bait and switch’.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2021, 07:10 PM
The Shaq composure to Vanda at the top of the square was probably the sealer. Also, finished off a great game from Shaq which included taking his chances from two crucial set pieces

Testekill
29-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Yeah I feel the moment was probably Schache setting up Vandermeer and him sealing it. It looked like that broke their back and the Bombers never looked like getting back into it.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Was the moment 10min before the game? Were the inclusions of Gardner and Schache always planned? Was this a bit of mastery from Bevo? Whatever the case, these two ins and the two outs were the moment for me. Carrying JJ and Cordy may have proved too much in that first half. Schache two laser goals were important too.

josie
29-08-2021, 07:19 PM
Not in play but that melee at half time seemed to fire the boys up. Agree with that delightful kick by Schache which I think was meant for Baz which VDM marked was super important.

westbulldog
29-08-2021, 07:21 PM
Roarke Smith won a one on one, handballed to Duryea, Roarke Smith blocked, Duryea to Schache, goal.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2021, 07:22 PM
Not in play but that melee at half time seemed to fire the boys up. Agree with that delightful kick by Schache which I think was meant for Baz which VDM marked was super important.

Good point. It’s fortunate it went to VDM. Baz would have butchered it.

azabob
29-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Good point. It’s fortunate it went to VDM. Baz would have butchered it.

No he wouldn’t have.

Smith disposal is iffy but he is one of the few midfielders in our team who can run and carry the football.

GVGjr
29-08-2021, 07:26 PM
That Duryea pass to Schache and subsequent goal was a thing of beauty.

azabob
29-08-2021, 07:27 PM
That Duryea pass to Schache and subsequent goal was a thing of beauty.

Great call! Not only the pass but Duryea also made the spoil.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2021, 07:27 PM
No he wouldn’t have.

Smith disposal is iffy but he is one of the few midfielders in our team who can run and carry the football.

Well I know he probably kicks it from the goal square, I was being facetious, but pointing to his awful disposal.

hujsh
29-08-2021, 07:30 PM
I don't know if it's THE moment but the smother early by Flea was a sign of things to come from him. He kept us in it early so we could steamroll them later

kruder
29-08-2021, 07:39 PM
What a return to form for so many in the second half, it felt like a bulldogs game again.

Doc kept his feet and composure ditto Bailey Williams , Easton Wood was strong in the contest, Dunkley willed himself to the contest, Treloar stuck a tackle and created separation from the contest, Naughton was jumping at anything and everything and Bailey Smith didn't panic with ball in hand.

Amazing the difference when you get an even contribution across the board and you bring the heat.

A nice stat for mine 17 inside 50 tackles well above our season average of 11, territory was king today.

Boots
29-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Cody's second goal from a free (that he didn't even play for - I think it was a push int he back?). He plays as if he's a foot taller and the opposition don't know what to do with him.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2021, 07:50 PM
When Dale scrounged a kick forward and it landed in Schache’s lap. When the chips are down, those things never go your way - but it was reflective of us having the run today.

Flamethrower
29-08-2021, 07:56 PM
Naughts' right foot snap goal from the boundary had me thinking back to Tommy Boyd's left foot snap from the pocket in the Granny.

merantau
29-08-2021, 08:42 PM
Cody's second goal from a free (that he didn't even play for - I think it was a push int he back?). He plays as if he's a foot taller and the opposition don't know what to do with him.

That free to Cody was fortunate but Josh Schache was pushed fair and square in the back in the marking contest - blatant and missed by the ump. So hustice was done with the Cody free.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2021, 09:05 PM
It was early but for me the smother from Weightman in the first quarter. I think that the set the tone snd things started to change fir us. Yes it was a slow grind but this was the start of us laying a tackle that stuck and the spoils flowed from this.

FrediKanoute
29-08-2021, 09:52 PM
The Shaq composure to Vanda at the top of the square was probably the sealer. Also, finished off a great game from Shaq which included taking his chances from two crucial set pieces

Was the moment I felt like we were home.

Eastdog
29-08-2021, 11:02 PM
It was early but for me the smother from Weightman in the first quarter. I think that the set the tone snd things started to change fir us. Yes it was a slow grind but this was the start of us laying a tackle that stuck and the spoils flowed from this.

Yeah that was really good from Cody as well along with his goal kicking today. Our pressure early on was a concern but we fixed that pretty quickly and controlled that game really well.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2021, 11:12 PM
Yeah that was really good from Cody as well along with his goal kicking today. Our pressure early on was a concern but we fixed that pretty quickly and controlled that game really well.

Amazing from a first year player. This is why you draft forwards and play them forward

Ghost Dog
30-08-2021, 12:30 AM
Not the first time a flea smother has got us going.

GVGjr
30-08-2021, 01:09 AM
Amazing from a first year player. This is why you draft forwards and play them forward

He's a 2nd year player BB

Bumper Bulldogs
30-08-2021, 07:35 AM
He's a 2nd year player BB
Yeah but he didn’t play last year. Anyway for a kid less than 20 games in it’s amazing. Could he be the next Brad Johnston I wonder.

SonofScray
30-08-2021, 08:45 AM
Naughton’s goal from the boundary was a dagger. I think that was like in a movie where in a battle the character fights on but only later, his partner realises they’ve taken a gut shot and are going to bleed out and die.

That goal was a bullet into their guts. They fought on for a bit, but once the adrenaline wore off, RIP Bombers.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2021, 08:48 AM
Naughton’s goal from the boundary was a dagger. I think that was like in a movie where in a battle the character fights on but only later, his partner realises they’ve taken a gut shot and are going to bleed out and die.

That goal was a bullet into their guts. They fought on for a bit, but once the adrenaline wore off, RIP Bombers.

;)Some quality visuals there; funny analogy. For such a hard shot from that angle he seemed so confident too.

The Pie Man
30-08-2021, 09:03 AM
;)Some quality visuals there; funny analogy. For such a hard shot from that angle he seemed so confident too.

He did? I was convinced it would go out on the full based on his facial expression.

Had a feeling we might be ok once it sailed through.

GVGjr
30-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Yeah but he didn’t play last year. Anyway for a kid less than 20 games in it’s amazing. Could he be the next Brad Johnston I wonder.

I think he played 5 games, still remember his first kick was a goal from the opposite boundary

Grantysghost
30-08-2021, 09:46 AM
I think he played 5 games, still remember his first kick was a goal from the opposite boundary

Against Essendon xD

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 01:15 PM

It was his first kick in league footy and I think it was Goal of the Round.

jazzadogs
30-08-2021, 01:28 PM
The moment for me was Luke Hodge reporting that Merrett was walking along the boundary asking what a free kick had been paid for, 7 minutes after the fact. He didn't stop whinging to the umpires all day, but after Cody's goals in the 3rd quarter they really seemed to give up.

Mantis
30-08-2021, 01:30 PM
For me the key moment was when it started pissing down... it became a slog and we thrive in the heavy conditions.

westdog54
30-08-2021, 02:27 PM
For me the key moment was when it started pissing down... it became a slog and we thrive in the heavy conditions.

I was listening to the AFL Nation coverage and they were going on about how both teams play at Marvel and would be evenly matched.

Clearly none of them called our game against the minor premier.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 04:59 PM

We do love a Heavy 10.

Some of Bont's one grab pick ups when others couldn't handle the ball were ridiculous.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 09:49 PM
On the replay. Last quarter starts, they surge forward, Stringer gets a shot on goal and just as it’s about to go through Durham touches the ball and turns the first goal of the last quarter and momentum (lead down to just 13 points) into a R50 from the kick in into Schache goal assist to VDM. And 24 points heading to 49 points.

comrade
31-08-2021, 10:48 PM
On the replay. Last quarter starts, they surge forward, Stringer gets a shot on goal and just as it’s about to go through Durham touches the ball and turns the first goal of the last quarter and momentum (lead down to just 13 points) into a R50 from the kick in into Schache goal assist to VDM. And 24 points heading to 49 points.

Yep, I watched the last qtr again tonight and that was a real sliding doors moment and exactly the type that had gone against us in the preceding 3 weeks.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 10:49 PM
I'm about to crank up the replay, do I start it at half time or go the whole nine?

jazzadogs
31-08-2021, 10:51 PM
I'm about to crank up the replay, do I start it at half time or go the whole nine?

You'd hate to miss Cody's first two dives! Start at the start!

jeemak
31-08-2021, 11:02 PM
You'd hate to miss Cody's first two dives! Start at the start!

I think you're right. I also need to take in the saltiness of the tears from the outset, so as to avoid cramp when I dance my jig throughout the last quarter to the end of the game.

boydogs
01-09-2021, 12:58 AM
Weightman's 4th shut the door on them, rubbish free but great finish

MrMahatma
01-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Roake's clean mark in the D50 (maybe in the 4th or 3rd?) had me thinking "Ok, we're going to be very hard to score against from here".

His marking has been really excellent in the last few weeks and he's shown courage a few times going back with the ball.

dog town
01-09-2021, 12:30 PM
Just re-watching and Hunter had quite a few moments after half time where he just went harder than the opposition. The main one led to Weightman 3rd goal when he was held.

Ball spills out and Hunter and Merrett go at it. Hunter is slightly harder, wins the footy and scrags a kick forward resulting in the free to Weightman. We simply were not winning these contests early and the turn around was what won us the match.

Murphy'sLore
01-09-2021, 12:43 PM
Baby Shaq do-do-do-doot-do-do, Baby Shaq....

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 01:08 PM

What did I ever do to you-do-do-do-doot-do-do?

Terrific, going to stuck in my head today, if I’m lucky!

SonofScray
01-09-2021, 02:00 PM

Shac Shac Schache

Bit of 90s AUS pop from Joanne making a comeback

Twodogs
01-09-2021, 08:06 PM

And the colored girls go
"Doo do doo do doo do do do Doo do doo do doo do do doo"

Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City's the place to stay
Where they said, "Hey, babe
Take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey, Joe
Take a walk on the wild side"