PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Semi Final vs Brisbane 2021

Scraggers
29-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Elimination Final match against Essendon for our Semi Finals match against Brisbane (Day, Time, Location To Be Confirmed) ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
29-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Bump

comrade
29-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Why would you make this?

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Heavy legs I imagine. I’d like if fit Richards & Marra.

Not sure I can fit them in. Gardner is an upgrade on Cordy so no change.

Dunks and Adz in the second half looked like a small switch had flicked. If it’s the big switch when fitness meets talent, next week could be ok.

Them: No Hipwood & McStay will hurt them. Keath to Daniher. The best we have for Charlie Cameron. Defend the entries well and it seem ok on paper.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Under normal life conditions I would be now scrambling to book flights … on the flipside, so happy to have another week alive in the finals to distract myself from this COVID mess. Thank you Western Bulldogs.

Scraggers
29-08-2021, 07:48 PM
Why would you make this?

I made it at half time … surrounded by 350 Essendon supporters at the pub. I had confidence :cool:

azabob
29-08-2021, 07:55 PM
I think Vandmeer should be under pressure, either JJ or Garcia to come in.

VDM has lost his confidence and isn’t attacking the man or ball like he did last year.

bornadog
29-08-2021, 07:57 PM

VDM has lost his confidence and isn’t attacking the man or ball like he did last year.

If we made a change, he would be the one?

Would a fit Martin come in to play his old team?

Grantysghost
29-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Martin would be doubtful wouldn’t he.

Young performed very well I liked how he attacked the ruck contests late with some momentum and spiked it forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2021, 08:01 PM
I mean this in the nicest possible way but I hope we don't consider Cordy. Gardner was fantastic today. He's miles ahead of Cordy.

I want Richards in, maybe for VDM who is OK at times but still a bit messy / needs to stick tackles consistently.

Martin for Young maybe a consideration.

azabob
29-08-2021, 08:01 PM

I actually like our ruck mix today. All 3 worked over Draper.

No reason they can’t do the same this week

comrade
29-08-2021, 08:03 PM
I mean this in the nicest possible way but I hope we don't consider Cordy. Gardner was fantastic today. He's miles ahead of Cordy.

I want Richards in, maybe for VDM who is OK at times but still a bit messy / needs to stick tackles consistently.

Martin for Young maybe a consideration.

You can’t drop anyone from a defence group that kept Essendon goalless for a half. And there were some hairy moments in the first half that they managed to absorb.

The extra height and closing speed Gardner has over Cordy is very noticeable.

westbulldog
29-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Anyone who played today would be very unlucky to be dropped.

Hotdog60
29-08-2021, 08:14 PM
I think no change and VDM has been improving each game even if only slightly.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2021, 08:36 PM
You can’t drop anyone from a defence group that kept Essendon goalless for a half. And there were some hairy moments in the first half that they managed to absorb.

Yeah the defence held up well. There were quite a few high entries and none of them were marked. Cordy cannot come in and Gardy cannot be dropped.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Absolutely. Lions forward structure really hurt without Hipwood and McStay. Do not need the 3rd tall and Wood was good, gives us an option for Charlie.

G-Mo77
29-08-2021, 09:06 PM

Yeah that first term especially and they held most of it off. We got the balance right with those late changes today so I'm not keen to change much unless injury which there didn't seem to be. Some heavy legs this week though.

jazzadogs
29-08-2021, 09:21 PM
Maybe add 'Match Committee' to the thread title.

My only out would be VDM. Even in his 'better' second half I felt there were only 2 or 3 moments. Not sure who would come in for him though - Richards would be good but not to play half-forward. If we want a pure pacy half-forward then it's JJ, Garcia or Mcneill - JJ is the only one that I would trust in a high-pressure final at this stage.

jeemak
29-08-2021, 09:22 PM
Is this the Always Right Match Committee thread?

josie
29-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Based on Bevo’s presser no Martin. He teased a little bit and said something like keeping press guessing on Martin for prelim if we beat Brisbane.

I reckon MC might swap JJ for VDM who will be sub.

If Richards right perhaps for Roarke Smith but I thought Roarke was really good today except for one howler kick when game was done & dusted. So perhaps no change except sub swap.

Loved Woody proving me wrong. I do wonder how he’ll go on a dry, fast track though.

EasternWest
29-08-2021, 09:32 PM
I made it at half time … surrounded by 350 Essendon supporters at the pub. I had confidence :cool:

Tell me more about this mythical place of wonder.

azabob
29-08-2021, 09:34 PM

Josie raised Roarke Smith, I want Richards in the team and my question is can Richards play Smiths role?

bornadog
29-08-2021, 09:40 PM
Josie raised Roarke Smith, I want Richards in the team and my question is can Richards play Smiths role?

Roarke had a poor first half, but a better second half.

I thought Wood held his own today. We need his experience so I woudn't be dropping him either.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2021, 09:49 PM
I really don’t know. We need to wait and see how they pull up. They were terrific as a team and I’m not sure changing that will do any good.

1eyedog
29-08-2021, 09:52 PM

I think just general chat?

azabob
29-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Roarke had a poor first half, but a better second half.

I thought Wood held his own today. We need his experience so I woudn't be dropping him either.

I actually gave Wood a vote today.

1eyedog
29-08-2021, 09:53 PM
I actually gave Wood a vote today.

Huge call.

1eyedog
29-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Can you get votes for trying as good as you should?

Scraggers
29-08-2021, 09:57 PM

Sorry … Done :)

Scraggers
29-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Tell me more about this mythical place of wonder.

It was a wonderland of booze and fairies (sorry … Essendon supporters that believe in mythical creatures). But by the end of the game, there was only one team left ;)

Scraggers
29-08-2021, 10:00 PM
I think just general chat?

It’s the Match Committee Thread … sorry, my bad

azabob
29-08-2021, 10:01 PM
It’s the Match Committee Thread … sorry, my bad

The OP was pretty clear it was the MC thread, I think a couple of lads are havin a laugh

Go_Dogs
29-08-2021, 10:16 PM
Hard to make any changes after that effort.

I think VDM sealed his spot with the HTB tackle late in the game - shame he missed the set shot, but he creates opportunity. Weather perhaps the determinate - if it’s warm and sunny, maybe JJ with VDM sub.

jazzadogs
29-08-2021, 10:29 PM
Hmmm, is one tackle enough to hold a spot in a final? 10 touches, 2 tackles inside 50, 1 goal - it's not great, and while I'm not sure that JJ/Garcia/Mcneill/West/whoever put up better numbers, I don't think it seals a spot.

One person who did pleasantly surprise me was Hannan. Team-high 7 score involvements from 15 touches including 2 goals. 4 tackles. Made good contests in the air, especially after the first quarter where Ridley was carving us.

MrMahatma
29-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Hmmm, is one tackle enough to hold a spot in a final? 10 touches, 2 tackles inside 50, 1 goal - it's not great, and while I'm not sure that JJ/Garcia/Mcneill/West/whoever put up better numbers, I don't think it seals a spot.

One person who did pleasantly surprise me was Hannan. Team-high 7 score involvements from 15 touches including 2 goals. 4 tackles. Made good contests in the air, especially after the first quarter where Ridley was carving us.

I thought Hannan was pretty fumbly and messed up a few opportunities for us, but also doubt he’s getting droppped.

I’d bring Richards in but not sure who for. Prob Roarke but that’d be harsh as I thought he played well.

comrade
29-08-2021, 10:47 PM
Roarke has to play next week. Does a job on someone and his work rate is immense. How many times did he find himself inside D50 helping out?

jazzadogs
29-08-2021, 10:49 PM
Roarke will absolutely play. Brisbane's wings in Mccluggage and Robinson are really important to them, and Roarke has shown that he plays a defensive wing role very well.

EasternWest
29-08-2021, 10:49 PM
Roarke has to play next week. Does a job on someone and his work rate is immense. How many times did he find himself inside D50 helping out?

Yeah, Roarke plays for sure.

Happy Days
29-08-2021, 11:39 PM
Roarke plays and sits on McSuitcase. I really liked his game today and have liked his whole season to be honest.

Dry Rot
29-08-2021, 11:58 PM
No change for me, although I thought VDM was ordinary for three quarters.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2021, 12:15 AM
The conditions were not made for VDM. He is probably more dangerous on a fast GABBA deck, but so could potentially be JJ. It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't envisage many changes.

From the Bevo presser it sounded like Cordy was a genuine illness. So does he come straight back in? Or does Bevo back in Gardner in?

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 01:32 AM
The conditions were not made for VDM. He is probably more dangerous on a fast GABBA deck, but so could potentially be JJ. It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't envisage many changes.

From the Bevo presser it sounded like Cordy was a genuine illness. So does he come straight back in? Or does Bevo back in Gardner in?

Gotta back in Gardner. With more game time he’s going to get even better.

dog town
30-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Do we need an extra small forward in the mix? I would be sitting someone on Rich which means you end up with only 1 genuine small in an attacking role. Very difficult to know who to drop and the midfielder resting forward hasn’t been working.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-08-2021, 07:42 AM
Roarke plays and sits on McSuitcase. I really liked his game today and have liked his whole season to be honest.

Yes agree he has been very good and just dies the basics well.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 11:06 AM
Ultimately - it would be hard to make a change - but we were still pretty ordinary in the first half so I'm not too carried away with the result.

I definitely felt we were still really vulnerable in centre clearance up until the game was all one way traffic in the last and we really padded our numbers then. Young battled manfully, but if we are honest with ourselves, Draper was very influential in the first half and we were having to start by defending every time. Judging by the post game presser - nothing is going to change in that regard. It definitely goes up a cog next week with Brisbane's midfield - so it remains our biggest area of concern. Our defenders will have to have a ludicrously good month if we were to get to a Grand Final.

Ozza
30-08-2021, 11:09 AM

Agree with this completely. Roarke is really important - and Brisbane have important wingers, of which we make our choice on which one we want to quell the influence of by sending Roarke to them.

Will be interesting to see if we send Dunks to anyone....likely we don't to start with, but do it if someone is getting out of hand. Dunkley probably needs to be playing 'on' someone right now.

westbulldog
30-08-2021, 11:39 AM
Rich is their go to man every time, shutting him down would go a long way towards winning.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 11:46 AM
Who has the speed to go with Cameron? Wood? He did a decent job on AMT a month ago.

Bullies
30-08-2021, 11:49 AM
Do we need an extra small forward in the mix? I would be sitting someone on Rich which means you end up with only 1 genuine small in an attacking role. Very difficult to know who to drop and the midfielder resting forward hasn’t been working. Scott played on Rich the last time in Ballarat and Rich had no impact.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Scott played on Rich the last time in Ballarat and Rich had no impact.

Dunkley to tag him, hurt him and also push forward to offer another target?

azabob
30-08-2021, 11:54 AM
Who has the speed to go with Cameron? Wood? He did a decent job on AMT a month ago.

Cameron Wood isn't that quick is he? Also he is pretty old these days.

In all seriousness either Duyrea or Wood for mine.

The Underdog
30-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Ultimately - it would be hard to make a change - but we were still pretty ordinary in the first half so I'm not too carried away with the result.

I definitely felt we were still really vulnerable in centre clearance up until the game was all one way traffic in the last and we really padded our numbers then. Young battled manfully, but if we are honest with ourselves, Draper was very influential in the first half and we were having to start by defending every time. Judging by the post game presser - nothing is going to change in that regard. It definitely goes up a cog next week with Brisbane's midfield - so it remains our biggest area of concern. Our defenders will have to have a ludicrously good month if we were to get to a Grand Final.

I thought we were splitting a lot of the ruck contests pretty well but that Draper was having a huge effect at ground level, very Ben Hudson like. He definitely had much less effect in the 2nd half though.
I’m ok with keeping the same set-up although McInerney provides a different challenge.
As far as changes, I’d consider JJ for VDM, but think everyone else is safe. Again I’d like to fit Ed in if fit, but think he’s competing for Roarke’s spot and Roarke is playing his role.

jazzadogs
30-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Cameron Wood isn't that quick is he? Also he is pretty old these days.

In all seriousness either Duyrea or Wood for mine.

Duryea is the obvious choice for me. The key will be slowing down their ball movement and trying not to let him get the ball out over the back, because in a pure foot race he'll have Duryea on toast.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Duryea is the obvious choice for me. The key will be slowing down their ball movement and trying not to let him get the ball out over the back, because in a pure foot race he'll have Duryea on toast.

Not having seen last year, but can JJ defend at all?

A swap if JJ for VDM gives the option to put JJ on Cameron with the leg speed, if it doesn’t work then JJ back forward.

Happy Days
30-08-2021, 12:40 PM
I've always thought JJ was a capable defender but him on Cameron is asking for it.

Wood smashed Cameron earlier this year in that game that didn't count and should get first crack.

jazzadogs
30-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Not having seen last year, but can JJ defend at all?

A swap if JJ for VDM gives the option to put JJ on Cameron with the leg speed, if it doesn’t work then JJ back forward.

I think he is fine as a defender but realistically he is no longer part of that rotation for whatever reason (with Dale, Williams, Duryea, Wood, Crozier all likely ahead of him, at a minimum), and what we would gain in speed we lose in Duryea's ability to nullify a 1v1.

Bullies
30-08-2021, 05:29 PM
I thought we were splitting a lot of the ruck contests pretty well but that Draper was having a huge effect at ground level, very Ben Hudson like. He definitely had much less effect in the 2nd half though.
I’m ok with keeping the same set-up although McInerney provides a different challenge.
As far as changes, I’d consider JJ for VDM, but think everyone else is safe. Again I’d like to fit Ed in if fit, but think he’s competing for Roarke’s spot and Roarke is playing his role. I think if we are going to go deep then Martin has to play. We will be cut up by ruckman over the next 3 weeks if not. Young unfortunately will have to miss.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 05:40 PM
Last time we played Brisbane, Martin was even in the rucks with McInerney

Happy Days
30-08-2021, 06:04 PM
McInerney has had an awesome back 9 to the year and is a dangerous matchup for us. He’s kind of like a blue collar English - mobile, great overhead and dangerous up forward, only he can actually ruck, and he’s definitely a better player than Draper (round 21 notwithstanding). He should be very much a cause for concern.

jeemak
30-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Last time we played Brisbane, Martin was even in the rucks with McInerney

He couldn't beat McCluggage?

Piss poor.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 06:27 PM
He couldn't beat McCluggage?

Piss poor.

haha, I had the wrong player orginally

FrediKanoute
30-08-2021, 07:05 PM
I think if we are going to go deep then Martin has to play. We will be cut up by ruckman over the next 3 weeks if not. Young unfortunately will have to miss.

Forget it. He is the emergency button if we suffer injuries to English, Young, Schache and Sweet.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Forget it. He is the emergency button if we suffer injuries to English, Young, Schache and Sweet.

Yep, right as usual Fredi. Bevo ruled Stef out straight after the match as still being too sore from some limited minutes several weeks ago. I can’t see any way he plays AFL ever again.

Testekill
30-08-2021, 07:46 PM
We do have VFL finals this weekend, if he wants to play again then he needs to make it through to put his hand up.

Mofra
31-08-2021, 01:08 PM
In favourite terms I want him in, but objectively I can see merit in subbing our VDM for JJ with instructions for JJ to stick to Rich like glue. He's their prime distributor out of defence.

Roarke lines up on McCluggage as his role as a defensive wingman is one he's making his own. We go head to head through the middle.

With McStay we can roll the dice on a two-tall defensive structure again.

Mantis
31-08-2021, 02:16 PM
In favourite terms I want him in, but objectively I can see merit in subbing our VDM for JJ with instructions for JJ to stick to Rich like glue. He's their prime distributor out of defence.

Scott did a great job on Rich earlier in the year.. would you be open to him being recalled to fill this role?

Roarke lines up on McCluggage as his role as a defensive wingman is one he's making his own. We go head to head through the middle.

Is McCluggage still spending time on the wing or transitioned into the middle?

With McStay we can roll the dice on a two-tall defensive structure again.

Cordy or Gardner? I would prefer Gardner given his little extra height & athleticism against Fullarton, but will Bevo see it that way?

Mofra
31-08-2021, 02:23 PM
Scott did a great job on Rich earlier in the year.. would you be open to him being recalled to fill this role?

Is McCluggage still spending time on the wing or transitioned into the middle?

Cordy or Gardner? I would prefer Gardner given his little extra height & athleticism against Fullarton, but will Bevo see it that way?
Good point on Scott - I'd be happy with anyone who could do the job.
Clug does do into the middle a bit. I'd still have Roarke on the wing. He has one trick in his bag - not getting sucked into the contest - but it's one of the most important aspects of playing wing. A lot of gun natural midfielders struggle with it.

And for mine, Gardner easily. He has closing speed and reach over Cordy. In the event one of their midsizers gets out the back I'd back Garnder to be able to pressure that player over Cordy. Cordy does tend to position himself pretty well though but I'd still play Gardner.

G-Mo77
31-08-2021, 02:29 PM
I've been so busy since the game, sleep, early work, home schooling, sleep, work, home schooling etc.

What was Cordy actually out for? I literally turned the game on when the clock was 6 minutes until bounce and haven't really caught up on much since.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2021, 02:30 PM
I've been so busy since the game, sleep, early work, home schooling, sleep, work, home schooling etc.

What was Cordy actually out for? I literally turned the game on when the clock was 6 minutes until bounce and haven't really caught up on much since.

Just reported ill on day of match according to Bevo.

hujsh
31-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Bevo likes Cordy but you can't deny he really likes Gardner as well. Might be a case of the incumbent keeps his spot

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 03:04 PM
Bevo likes Cordy but you can't deny he really likes Gardner as well. Might be a case of the incumbent keeps his spot

Cordy wasn't getting a game before Gardner got injured early in the year. I think Gardner is the preferred person, it's probably more a case of if he's fully physically fit. Bevo mentioned he's not as strong as he normally is - no doubt cause he's not been doing weights with his shoulder.

I reckon we'll be no changes this week.

1eyedog
02-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Bevo saying we have to make a forced change.

jeemak
02-09-2021, 01:40 PM

Cordy forcing his way into the side because he's too good to leave out and all the fans want him in.

Mantis
02-09-2021, 01:46 PM

It sounded that way, but he did say we ''may'' have to.

comrade
02-09-2021, 01:46 PM

He spoke about defence and midfield being settled, so I think we'll see a change in the forward line.

My guess is Hannan or VDM has a niggle.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-09-2021, 01:56 PM
He spoke about defence and midfield being settled, so I think we'll see a change in the forward line.

My guess is Hannan or VDM has a niggle.

Yeah, I suspected Hannan too., as I thought afl.com.au indicated Hannan had an injury during the Essendon game.

bornadog
02-09-2021, 01:56 PM
Why Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is unlikely to play in the finals (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-jamarra-ugle-hagan-is-unlikely-to-play-in-the-finals-20210902-p58o2i.html)

josie
02-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Does Wally get a game if it’s Hannan, or Scott? Jamarra unlikely I believe based upon Bevo’s presser. Or JJ in and Garcia as sub if it is VDM?

comrade
02-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Does Wally get a game if it’s Hannan, or Scott? Jamarra unlikely I believe based upon Bevo’s presser. Or JJ in and Garcia as sub if it is VDM?

I would imagine JJ comes in.

kruder
02-09-2021, 02:47 PM
Last time I remember English and Naughty really stretching their defence. Just listening to Bevo English/Young played 50/50 ruck forward last week and he imagines something similar. It's a balance with their strength in the center but Id love to see Timmy play even more forward this week with Gardiner and Andrews looking out of touch last week.

McCarthy got a knock last week wouldn't be surprised if he were in doubt.

bornadog
02-09-2021, 03:13 PM
Some rumour could be Caleb.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-09-2021, 03:14 PM

That would really hurt.

josie
02-09-2021, 03:29 PM

Merde. I reckon he is 1of out most important players along with Bont, Libba, Keath and Naughts. I hope it’s only a minor niggle. Richards & JJ to come in then with VDM as sub.

Hotdog60
02-09-2021, 04:16 PM
If its Caleb does that open a spot for Lippa or Richards?

dog town
02-09-2021, 04:27 PM
Could it be Schache given the injuries he has had? Not in any of the training material released this week.

hujsh
02-09-2021, 04:27 PM

Richards yes, Lippa please no

Mofra
02-09-2021, 04:32 PM
JJ was the medi sub so he probably gets first chance.
Richards perhaps, and there's McNeill and Scott as role players as well.

mjp
02-09-2021, 04:43 PM
JJ was the medi sub so he probably gets first chance.
Richards perhaps, and there's McNeill and Scott as role players as well.

Or West. Wasn't he part of the squad last week?

Mofra
02-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Or West. Wasn't he part of the squad last week?
Yep... off no senior football for weeks.
It was a head-scratcher

dog town
02-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Listening to their footy manager today my gut says they are going to go small up forward.

mjp
02-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Listening to their footy manager today my gut says they are going to go small up forward.

What choice do they have??

comrade
02-09-2021, 05:39 PM

They could do us a solid and play both Ballenden and Fullarton forward.

mjp
02-09-2021, 05:46 PM
They could do us a solid and play both Ballenden and Fullarton forward.

Yeah, but that would be dumb.

Whatever you say about the Lions they have been pretty smart over the past few years...just do the simple things well, beat the teams they should be and defend their home ground like a fortress...

We have a better team than they do though.

Grantysghost
02-09-2021, 05:57 PM
Yep... off no senior football for weeks.
It was a head-scratcher

Wonder if he was a wet weather break-glass. It was a tad confusing. Doubt we will see him this week, probably a McNeil type.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 07:24 PM
No Change.

G-Mo77
02-09-2021, 07:25 PM
No change, not surprised. I think we've finally got the right balance.

bulldogtragic
They brought in Payne & Robertson.

divvydan
For those interested,

EMG: Wallis, Cordy, Scott, JJ.

azabob
First Semi-Final

Brisbane v Western Bulldogs

Saturday 4 September, 7.20pm AEST

The Gabba

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams

HB: Taylor Duryea, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale

C: Adam Treloar, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter

HF: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith

F: Tom Liberatore, Tim English, Cody Weightman

R: Lewis Young, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli

Int: Josh Schache, Mitch Hannan, Caleb Daniel, Roarke Smith

Emg: Mitch Wallis, Zaine Cordy, Anthony Scott, Jason Johannisen

The Underdog
02-09-2021, 07:26 PM
“No Change”*

comrade
02-09-2021, 07:28 PM
I have nothing to melt about.

josie
02-09-2021, 07:31 PM
With Daniel on bench guessing MC are giving Daniel time to recover if rumours of injury are true. Unless he is normally listed on bench.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 07:32 PM
With Daniel on bench guessing MC are giving Daniel time to recover if rumours of injury are true.

The bench doesn't change anything unless it's a Sunday game. You don't even need to start the players you name on the bench there. These days, not really a bench guy with time on ground anyway.

bornadog
02-09-2021, 07:41 PM
The bench doesn't change anything unless it's a Sunday game. You don't even need to start the players you name on the bench there. These days, not really a bench guy with time on ground anyway.

Yeah, but, could be a change. I agree with Josie, bench is usually where we park players that may not be in final team.

Hopefully Caleb is ok.

Happy Days
02-09-2021, 07:52 PM
FWIW Daniel was named on the bench last week too.

jeemak
02-09-2021, 07:53 PM
I have nothing to melt about.

I'm sure you could find something if you tried! ;)

jeemak
02-09-2021, 07:54 PM
FWIW Daniel was named on the bench last week too.

I think he started there as I remember thinking it was odd that I couldn't see him early.

dog town
02-09-2021, 07:58 PM

They have picked 4 key backs or guys they have generally used that way. With Payne coming in they may swing one of them forward.

The bulldog tragician
02-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Is the Caleb rumour based on anything solid?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2021, 07:59 PM
They have picked 4 key backs or guys they have generally used that way. With Payne coming in they may swing one of them forward.

Yep - they still have options.

I think Big O will spend some time forward (more than usual), but Adams would be the next logical choice. It's a real shame we don't have Bruce to really test them (aka force them) to keep their key backs in that area of the ground.

FrediKanoute
02-09-2021, 08:08 PM

I think Big O will spend some time forward (more than usual), but Adams would be the next logical choice. It's a real shame we don't have Bruce to really test them (aka force them) to keep their key backs in that area of the ground.

Makes Schache and English all the more important. We can't rely on Cody to score all the goals (be great if he did), but we need more options.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 08:08 PM

Schache being at all dangerous would be big.

comrade
02-09-2021, 08:13 PM
FWIW, I won't be surprised at all if Brisbane makes some late changes.

At the very least, it's looking likely that Adams will play forward. I hope we play Keath on him and let Gardner take Daniher.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 08:15 PM
FWIW, I won't be surprised at all if Brisbane makes some late changes.

At the very least, it's looking likely that Adams will play forward. I hope we play Keath on him and let Gardner take Daniher.

With no VFL, why not make late changes? Just stuff with opposition as much as you can.

I agree with Gardner on Daniher. Well suited. Keath can then help out team defence.

comrade
02-09-2021, 08:25 PM
With no VFL, why not make late changes? Just stuff with opposition as much as you can.

I agree with Gardner on Daniher. Well suited. Keath can then help out team defence.

I think there's a fair chance we make a late change too.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 08:27 PM
I think there's a fair chance we make a late change too.

Yep. I think Bevo might just be playing with the forced change.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Schache also has the link to them. Will fans boo him? Will that work in Josh’s favour by proving a point to them . Will playing them in a cut throat final give him a little extra motivation? He has certainly played the most games on the GABBA so maybe he’s got a really good feel for leading patterns and the pockets too. I’m pretty sure this is his first game vs Brisbane at the GABBA (edit it’s the 2nd) so hopefully Bevo is massaging his thinking and firing up the confidence with his game last week.

The entries to Josh vs Richmond were as poor as anyone got and even last week a few easy marks were blown by poor kicking. Tighten that up and give him 4-5 shots. He kicks 3-5 goals.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 08:54 PM
The only one change to the full squad of 28:

EF: Rhylee West

SF: In: Mitch Wallis, Out: Rhylee West

jeemak
02-09-2021, 09:00 PM
I'm a bit rattled by the thought of not having Caleb. Though with Wallis coming into the frame as an emergency I'm now rattled by the thought of one of our bigger men not being available.

Neither scenario really appeals to me.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 09:06 PM
I'm a bit rattled by the thought of not having Caleb. Though with Wallis coming into the frame as an emergency I'm now rattled by the thought of one of our bigger men not being available.

Neither scenario really appeals to me.

If there’s a late change, and the Wallis introduction to the emergencies. Hopefully it’s more for Hannan than a genuine tall.

comrade
02-09-2021, 09:41 PM
So do we feel more or less confident after the teams have been named?

jeemak
02-09-2021, 09:43 PM
If there’s a late change, and the Wallis introduction to the emergencies. Hopefully it’s more for Hannan than a genuine tall.

Hopefully, but I do feel that Hannan was important with his run/ presence and two goals......sure his fumbling annoyed me but that's just him. If we bring in Wallis who is equally as good at running all day but slower and less able to impact the aerial contest (which may not be a bad thing given Hannan's penchant for crashing into our blokes!) then we'll need to be more considered with how we use the footy going forward.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2021, 09:50 PM

The same. Very confident. Same as last week.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 09:50 PM
Hopefully, but I do feel that Hannan was important with his run/ presence and two goals......sure his fumbling annoyed me but that's just him. If we bring in Wallis who is equally as good at running all day but slower and less able to impact the aerial contest (which may not be a bad thing given Hannan's penchant for crashing into our blokes!) then we'll need to be more considered with how we use the footy going forward.

Hannan played the best game since hoping us. But ‘if’ someone forward is injured. I hope it’s not Aaron, Cody, Josh or Tim. So Wallis might point to Hannan. If it’s VDM there’s Scott & JJ. Or there’s no injury and Bevo is playing mind games!

jeemak
02-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Hannan played the best game since hoping us. But ‘if’ someone forward is injured. I hope it’s not Aaron, Cody, Josh or Tim. So Wallis might point to Hannan. If it’s VDM there’s Scott & JJ. Or there’s no injury and Bevo is playing mind games!

The crazy thing about this is that Brisbane would likely know this stuff through sources anyway, so it's actually us who Bevo is messing with.

Sociopath.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2021, 10:27 PM
The crazy thing about this is that Brisbane would likely know this stuff through sources anyway, so it's actually us who Bevo is messing with.

Sociopath.

Ha.

Thing is they wouldn't know for sure if the injury doesn't actually exist.

bornadog
02-09-2021, 11:28 PM
Is the Caleb rumour based on anything solid?

I made the mistake of watching AFL 360 tonight, thinking they would talk about us, but as usual, one sentence, unless we are losing.

In the vision of the boys training, Caleb was in the background talking to two staff members ( not sure who). make of it what you will.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-09-2021, 07:36 AM
The same. Very confident. Same as last week.

I’m also with you, I know anything can happen but I can see us beating Melbourne in the Grand final this year.

1eyedog
03-09-2021, 09:10 AM

Wash your mouth out Mister!

Agree with the sentiments above I think we can beat anybody, whether we will or not remains to be seen. I'm feeling 60/40 confident against the Lions and see Port as our greatest challenge between here and a flag. We just have better players than the Lions. Melbourne are not the unbeatable dominant side we've seen in years past. We were that team for patches this year.

Still, a Prelim appearance is a massive step up on our last two outings and provides invaluable exposure for the group.

Hoping to get past the Lions.

angelopetraglia
03-09-2021, 09:37 AM
If to doesn't rain how dewy will it be? Does anyone have a read on what we are likely to see in regards to conditions on Saturday night?

1eyedog
03-09-2021, 09:48 AM
If to doesn't rain how dewy will it be? Does anyone have a read on what we are likely to see in regards to conditions on Saturday night?

I heard a few days ago from Bevo that he's expecting some cloud cover limiting the amount of dew that will form. Said you still sweat a lot playing there though.

Mofra
03-09-2021, 12:03 PM
More.

Stability isn't something we've had too much of (compared to other top 8 sides) so anything that supports synergy among the group is a positive.

Mantis
03-09-2021, 12:46 PM

The addition of Gardner & Schache (at the last minute) certainly gives our team a better look to the eye.

I haven't changed my thoughts that our best is better than everyone's... I just wish I had more confidence that we would perform to that level.

DOG GOD
03-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Last week I was fairly confident when I knew it was going to rain, and the fact the last time we played the Bombers, they couldn’t do a thing wrong.

This week, im worried. The last time we beat them was a wet, cold Ballarat day, where our tall fwds marked everything. Daniher and Cameron couldn’t get near it. Saturday night it’s going to be a fast deck. Im worried what Cameron might do, over the back in particular, and Daniher is due.

Being at the Gabba for a final gives me the shakes, thinking back to years gone by.

It will be a big task. Im feeling maybe 40% confident.

If we somehow win, the following week against Port REALLY concerns me…especially over there in front of their fans. (Yes we won earlier in the year, but this is a PRELIM FINAL).

If we somehow managed to get to the GF, I believe we have the team to beat either Melb, Geel or GWS in Perth.

We are certainly on the harder side.

jeemak
03-09-2021, 06:22 PM
I think 40% confidence is a pretty substantial number for you DG! That makes me feel more confident than I already did!

Thanks man!

bornadog
03-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Last week I was fairly confident when I knew it was going to rain, and the fact the last time we played the Bombers, they couldn’t do a thing wrong.

This week, im worried. The last time we beat them was a wet, cold Ballarat day, where our tall fwds marked everything. Daniher and Cameron couldn’t get near it. Saturday night it’s going to be a fast deck. Im worried what Cameron might do, over the back in particular, and Daniher is due.

Being at the Gabba for a final gives me the shakes, thinking back to years gone by.

It will be a big task. Im feeling maybe 40% confident.

If we somehow win, the following week against Port REALLY concerns me…especially over there in front of their fans. (Yes we won earlier in the year, but this is a PRELIM FINAL).

If we somehow managed to get to the GF, I believe we have the team to beat either Melb, Geel or GWS in Perth.

We are certainly on the harder side.

It didn't rain in Ballarat that day, and we really were in control.

I am expecting a similar game tomorrow night.

divvydan
03-09-2021, 06:39 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/673687/another-late-dogs-change-star-defender-under-injury-cloud

AFL now running with the story about Caleb Daniel being the player in doubt for tomorrow night's game.

DOG GOD
03-09-2021, 06:43 PM

Apologies Bornadog…I thought it did…must’ve just been very cold and windy. I was in Hobart just watching bits of the game so got confused.

You’re feeling pretty confident then ? What are you most worried about ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2021, 06:52 PM
If this was Rnd 20 I'd be feeling pretty confident. But our run of 3 poor games to end the H & A, is still on my mind.
The best version of our self is better than there's. If we run out and play like that then I have confidence we will win.
Even with that, Brisbane are a 4-5 goal better team on their home deck, so we're gonna need to be the best version of our self to get over the line!

I just don't want to see the lethargy that we saw in the First 3 Qtrs of last years Elimination Final. Being at the ground was so frustrating, because with the wider view of proceedings than the TV presents, you could see things as they were going to unfold ahead of it happening. It was at times like watching one of those comedy show checker moves where a player jumps over the whole board in one sweep.

comrade
03-09-2021, 06:58 PM
No Daniel would be a huge loss. Massive.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 07:02 PM
AFEL.com reporting Daniel is the player ‘possibly’ dropping out of the team. Lower leg injury/concern.

Looking at the emergencies probably Scott comes in.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2021, 07:11 PM
Damn. That would be a big blow.

FrediKanoute
03-09-2021, 07:14 PM
AFEL.com reporting Daniel is the player ‘possibly’ dropping out of the team. Lower leg injury/concern.

Looking at the emergencies probably Scott comes in.

Surely not? If I look at the emergencies then it will be JJ or Cordy.

dog town
03-09-2021, 07:15 PM
To add to the unsettling events there is a confirmed Covid case as well. Surely too late to cancel the game or move it so some interesting decisions to be made.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 07:17 PM
Surely not? If I look at the emergencies then it will be JJ or Cordy.

Cordy as a smart ball user who can run with it? Do we need a third tall plus Wood?

My question is if JJ can play on the wing. I prefer him as the sub and Scott in.

If there’s a genuine injury, can we bring in someone not an emergency like Richards?

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 07:18 PM
To add to the unsettling events there is a confirmed Covid case as well. Surely too late to cancel the game or move it so some interesting decisions to be made.

Where is that case?

Happy Days
03-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Daniel trained today. This could be a case of journos mining forums for content.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 07:48 PM
Daniel trained today. This could be a case of journos mining forums for content.

We need to come up with interesting content if this is the case. Bruce had surgery, and the surgeon realised today it’s not an ACL. Bruce could be back next week when the skin has healed. Amazing.

dog town
03-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Where is that case?

Childcare in Logan I think I read. Kid tested positive today.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Childcare in Logan I think I read. Kid tested positive today.

I’m not one to pay much attention to premier press conferences. Might keep an eye tomorrow morning.

If a kid has it, a guess is the parents have it and others around them and their movements.

The game won’t get cancelled, but the crowd on the other hand…

comrade
03-09-2021, 08:50 PM
Should have just played it in Tassie where there hasn't been a case in forever.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 09:34 PM
The game won’t get cancelled, but the crowd on the other hand…

Qld Govt cancelled games on the same day in Round 20. I don't think they will do the same again, you might be right. NRL finals there too. Might sway them not to completely cancel.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Qld Govt cancelled games on the same day in Round 20. I don't think they will do the same again, you might be right. NRL finals there too. Might sway them not to completely cancel.

We clearly really like a crowd. So that’s not great for us. But no 40,000 loud Brisbane people. Maybe that hurts them a little more???

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 09:55 PM
We clearly really like a crowd. So that’s not great for us. But no 40,000 loud Brisbane people. Maybe that hurts them a little more???

Look, I just put my four year old daughter to bed so first of all hopefully this 4 year old girl is okay and I feel bad talking about it in terms of footy advantage but...

Yeah definitely think it suits us. They are much better at home. Disrupting that helps us. Have the Lions even played at an empty stadium?

We have lost most of ours but I believe all the ones we've lost have been at Marvel. Is this right?

Pies and Saints last year, we beat GWS and North there last year.

This year we lost to the Dees, Port and Dons at Marvel. Beat Dees at MCG and Crows at Mars.

So 2-5 at empty Marvel. 2-0 empty elsewhere.

If Lions haven't played at an empty stadium, that's 9 games over the last 2 years for us and none for them.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 10:03 PM
Look, I just put my four year old daughter to bed so first of all hopefully this 4 year old girl is okay and I feel bad talking about it in terms of footy advantage but...

Yeah definitely think it suits us. They are much better at home. Disrupting that helps us. Have the Lions even played at an empty stadium?

We have lost most of ours but I believe all the ones we've lost have been at Marvel. Is this right?

This year we lost to the Dees, Port and Dons at Marvel. Beat Dees at MCG and Crows at Mars.

If Lions haven't played at an empty stadium, that's 9 games over the last 2 years for us and none for them.

I’ve read a bit on here this week the ‘advantage’ of a packed GABBA is 4-5 goals. If the crowd plus no McStay out with some other guns, then maybe it’s more 1-2 goals. If we play well we should cover a 1-2 advantage.

If the health advice keeps people safe, and helps us towards the result we want. Win-Win.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 10:16 PM

Jon Ralph said he spoke to the club. Daniel a light week on the track and we are hopeful he plays.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-09-2021, 10:16 PM
I really do not think it matters. We are our own destiny and this group have the hunger. Bring it on.

As Keith said any one anywhere

comrade
03-09-2021, 10:27 PM

We also won in Perth with no crowd.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 10:52 PM
We also won in Perth with no crowd.

Oh boy. Make that 3-0 away from Marvel, 2-5 at Marvel.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Oh boy. Make that 3-0 away from Marvel, 2-5 at Marvel.

So no crowd, played away, makes us red hot favourites?!! :D

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 10:58 PM
So no crowd, played away, makes us red hot favourites?!! :D

I'm going into some deep psychology but maybe it's about something so familiar being disrupted.

bornadog
03-09-2021, 11:51 PM
Apologies Bornadog…I thought it did…must’ve just been very cold and windy. I was in Hobart just watching bits of the game so got confused.

You’re feeling pretty confident then ? What are you most worried about ?

It will be a close game due to home ground advantage, but I think our mids will be too good. Really need to make sure we defend well again this week as Daniher, Cameron are opportunist.

Vred
04-09-2021, 08:49 AM
No crowds huh? Suddenly like our chances a little more if that happens.

Go_Dogs
04-09-2021, 09:32 AM

I got rained on just a little. But mainly pre game waiting to get in.

Don’t think it means much today. We can beat the Lions in any conditions.

1eyedog
04-09-2021, 11:35 AM
No crowds huh? Suddenly like our chances a little more if that happens.

I haven't seen any talk about no crowds.

bornadog
04-09-2021, 11:37 AM
I got rained on just a little. But mainly pre game waiting to get in.

Don’t think it means much today. We can beat the Lions in any conditions.

Yes that is right. I was thinking during the game.

Happy Days
04-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Really sounding like Caleb won't play. That's a savage blow.

Grantysghost
04-09-2021, 03:19 PM

I know Bevo is all about the "turnover game" but CD is so important with his ball usage I'd play him if he was 50/50. As long as it's not going to overly aggravate things.

jazzadogs
04-09-2021, 03:43 PM

A Caleb for Ed Richards swap wouldn't have been too bad. Still a big loss, but not unmanageable.

I'm looking forward to Dunkley playing more midfield time and Treloar getting more involved, like they were in the second half last week.

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 05:09 PM

At least if he doesn't play he won't get EXPOSED yet again.

Happy Days
04-09-2021, 06:10 PM
At least if he doesn't play he won't get EXPOSED yet again.

The irony of these dickhead pundits being forced to admit that his absence is actually important will soothe the pain somewhat.