PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 2008 Player Focus: Dale Morris

Dry Rot
19-03-2008, 04:00 PM
With Williams, Everritt and possibly Lake out, this week's player focus is on Dale Morris who will effectively be leading the backline against the Crows.

Over recent seasons Morris (and Hargrave) remind me of Kretuik ie having to take a much bigger and quality forward each week. At the start of this season, he'll probably have to do it again.

There's no doubting Morris's courage, but he can be beaten overhead and his disposal isn't the best but pound for pound the ability of Morris to shut down a variety of opponents both small and tall is invaluable to the team.

In a team short on hard it competitive defenders, the jack of all trades Morris shapes as almost the key player this week.

Thoughts?

GVGjr
19-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Fully agree that Morris will be given a key assignment this week and therefore his ability to do the job asked is critical for us.

He is a no nonsense player and one that we will expect to lock down a key opponent each week.

bornadog
19-03-2008, 06:23 PM
The backline will be under the pump so Morris will be a key player, but needs plenty of help from such as Gilbee and Griffen as well as Hargrave. These guys have got to be tight as tight and team up well.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Yep, he's going to need a big game. McDougall too will have to stand up and really play a great game as a tall defender.

Who is Morris' best match up do you think?

mjp
19-03-2008, 06:28 PM
McDougall for Tippett.
I suspect we will have no option but to match Morris up against Burton.

That said. I still think the best thing to do with Morris will be to play him against Macleod and shut him out of the game. If Macleod touches it 25 times, we will lose. Burton might kick 8 - but he might kick 1. An unattended Macleod will get it 25 times.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2008, 07:07 PM
McDougall for Tippett.
I suspect we will have no option but to match Morris up against Burton.

That said. I still think the best thing to do with Morris will be to play him against Macleod and shut him out of the game. If Macleod touches it 25 times, we will lose. Burton might kick 8 - but he might kick 1. An unattended Macleod will get it 25 times.

What about Griffen? One of the better games he ever played was when he was trusted with the role on Garyjnr in his debut year. Could be an option worth considering perhaps - on McLeod I mean.

mjp
19-03-2008, 07:13 PM
What about Griffen? One of the better games he ever played was when he was trusted with the role on Garyjnr in his debut year. Could be an option worth considering perhaps - on McLeod I mean.

I prefer Griffen behind the ball. Macleod will almost certainly play back...if Griffen is in our forward line we will miss his drive terribly. He will need to take an Edwards or Goodwin down the other end and will have his hands full doing that...he is good enough though.

Mantis
19-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I prefer Griffen behind the ball. Macleod will almost certainly play back...if Griffen is in our forward line we will miss his drive terribly. He will need to take an Edwards or Goodwin down the other end and will have his hands full doing that...he is good enough though.

So who goes to McLeod then? Our forwards don't have a great record in picking up there man at the best of times.

Sockeye Salmon
19-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Anyone could play on Burton. If he decides to stand on someone's head no-one is going to stop him anyway. He is really vulnerable to getting burnt the other way, he's not the world's hardest worker.

McLeod's played forward all NAB Cup but I agree that if I were Craig I'd play him back. We really don't have a suitable player to shut him down.

mjp
19-03-2008, 07:54 PM
So who goes to McLeod then? Our forwards don't have a great record in picking up there man at the best of times.

Morris...I think that is what I said. Or have I confused myself?

I have Morris going to Macleod.
McDougall on Tippett.
Griffen taking whoever out of Goodwin and Edwards plays 'high' forward. (Up the ground, not Cousins style).
I would play Shaggy or Gilbee on Burton and not be too worried, but like I said, I would not be surprised if Morris is picked for this role - the coaches have played him back for two years now and seem set with that plan.

Mantis
19-03-2008, 08:29 PM

McDougall on Tippett.
Griffen taking whoever out of Goodwin and Edwards plays 'high' forward. (Up the ground, not Cousins style).
I would play Shaggy or Gilbee on Burton and not be too worried, but like I said, I would not be surprised if Morris is picked for this role - the coaches have played him back for two years now and seem set with that plan.

No I just mis-understood you, didn't realise you wanted Morris to play as a 'defensive' forward.

If Morris plays up back and McLeod also plays in defence who goes to McLeod?

hujsh
19-03-2008, 08:47 PM
No I just mis-understood you, didn't realise you wanted Morris to play as a 'defensive' forward.

Geez the only name that's popping up is Harbrow

mjp
19-03-2008, 09:02 PM

If that happens, I predict we will lose.

They will engineer it so that Macleod (He is a Mac not a mc I am certain) is continually moved onto someone like Higgins. I guess Addison would stick at the task, and so might Callan, but do you really think either of those guys would even slow him down?

LostDoggy
19-03-2008, 09:03 PM

McDougall on Tippett.

Makes a lot of sense to me, I just hope that Burton isn't on fire on Sunday. Apart from the advantage of us having Welsh, it's also a bonus that we no longer need to man up on him...if that makes sense. I think Morris should be able to keep McLeod to less damaging possessions than any of our other players could, but it would be better if we had the luxury of not missing him in the backline.

Mantis
19-03-2008, 09:51 PM
If that happens, I predict we will lose.

They will engineer it so that Macleod (He is a Mac not a mc I am certain) is continually moved onto someone like Higgins. I guess Addison would stick at the task, and so might Callan, but do you really think either of those guys would even slow him down?

In another thread I stated I wouldn't be unhappy if Morris followed McLeod (I'm sticking with Mc) everywhere. Well worth some thought.

With no midfield tag role required, just a fair bit of respect could we use Boyd as a tagger on McLeod?

mjp
19-03-2008, 11:49 PM
In another thread I stated I wouldn't be unhappy if Morris followed McLeod (I'm sticking with Mc) everywhere. Well worth some thought.

With no midfield tag role required, just a fair bit of respect could we use Boyd as a tagger on McLeod?

I think if we try that, Boyd will go to the ball and Macleod will go to space...and if Boyd doesn't get it, Macleod will run down the ground unattended bouncing the ball.

bornadog
19-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I think if we try that, Boyd will go to the ball and Macleod will go to space...and if Boyd doesn't get it, Macleod will run down the ground unattended bouncing the ball.

Craig mentioned a few weeks ago that he would play Mcleod and Goodwin in the forward line, whether he does we will wait and see.

FrediKanoute
20-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Geez the only name that's popping up is Harbrow

Boyd.....Cross and West rotating in the middle. Boyd playing the lockdown forward role for mine is they way I'd go.

hujsh
20-03-2008, 03:14 AM
Boyd.....Cross and West rotating in the middle. Boyd playing the lockdown forward role for mine is they way I'd go.

Yep Boyd would work because he can kick goals slipped my mind. West and Cross wouldn't see him though

Mantis
20-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Yep Boyd would work because he can kick goals slipped my mind. West and Cross wouldn't see him though

They would see him run off with ball, that's about it. Neither has the turn of foot to go with him.

If McLeod goes forward I would like to see Morris take him which would allow Boyd to pick up Thompson. If McLeod plays in defence Boyd picks him up and Cross is responsible for Thompson.

I don't think we can allow Cross and Boyd to play 'offensive' roles this year. Sure they can work off there men, which they do well to create an option, but we need them to play defensive roles as we already have enough attacking midfielders.

Go_Dogs
20-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't think we can allow Cross and Boyd to play 'offensive' roles this year. Sure they can work off there men, which they do well to create an option, but we them to play defensive roles as we already have enough attacking midfielders.

Agreed. Our defensive efforts look so much better when those two are throwing their bodies around with reckless abandon to lay tackles.

Bulldog Revolution
21-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Boyd spent a fair bit of the game back against Carlton in the practice match and GVGjr noted that he looks pretty accomplished as a rebounding defender. Many of us have commented that the 3 of them on the ball at the one time is not the right mix. So that is a reasonable option, but Griffen and Gilbee are prime playmakers out of defence. Griffen for me has to start at half back, and should be in no hurry to get into the midfield.

I think the Morris on Burton matchup makes a bit of sense unless Hargrave has had him previously - who normally gets Burton?

Given Lake and Wight are in some doubt then I would have thought McDougall might still be a shot. Tiller has come from nowhere in the past year - constantly injured and wallowing away in the W'Bee ressies. If he continues improving in the next calender year the way he has over the past year then he will be a player. He still has plenty of room for improvement but hes definitely worked hard.

I wont believe the McLeod and Goodwin up forward until I see it. Its stating the obvious but by god McLeod has killed us over the years - he is a footballer fitting of a nickname like rolls royce.

Is Hahn an option as a defensive forward and try and slow Mcleod if he lines up at half back

Mantis
21-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Is Hahn an option as a defensive forward and try and slow Mcleod if he lines up at half back

He wouldn't have the turn of foot or endurance to go with McLeod.

mjp
21-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I wont believe the McLeod and Goodwin up forward until I see it. Its stating the obvious but by god McLeod has killed us over the years - he is a footballer fitting of a nickname like rolls royce.

Craig said in the Age today that Goodwin, Edwards and Macleod will be back in the midfield this week.

Only if he is allowed to carry a shotgun.

hujsh
21-03-2008, 04:08 PM

I saw footage of him chasing Judd very hard and loosing ground. This is Judd not at full pace and supposedly slower than his top speed with the groin injury.

So McLeod is not do-able

Bulldog Revolution
21-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Will be very interesting to see how the crows set up and whether we are better able to counter it, than we were in round 2 last year