PDA

View Full Version : Kysaiah "Kozzy" Pickett vs Cody Weightman

Dry Rot
30-08-2021, 11:16 PM
Same draft, both first rounders, both play the same position.

As the Industry Super ads go, Compare the Pair so far.

Over to you.

westdog54
30-08-2021, 11:23 PM
It's a fascinating debate, one that will follow them thorought their careers.

They are both guns and they'll probably play 500 games between them.

They're watchable, marketable, loved by commentators, fan favourites at their own clubs.

I honestly can't split them at the moment.

Go_Dogs
30-08-2021, 11:29 PM
The thing I like about Flea is he does it in the air and at ground level. If he can’t get you one way, he’ll get you the other. Kozzie has shown a lot too and would be brilliant in our side. His ability to apply pressure and do it physically is a big asset, along with his goal sense.

Hard to split them - but I’m going to back our man in.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 11:33 PM
Weightman Name Kysaiah Pickett
Western Bulldogs Team Melbourne Demons
Forward Position Forward
17 Games 37
Dandenong Stingrays Origin Woodville West Torrens
January 15, 2001 DOB June 2, 2001
20yr 7mth Age 20yr 2mth
177cm Height 170cm
73kg Weight 67kg
2019 National Draft Drafted 2019 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #15 Draft Pos. Round 1, Pick #12
Western Bulldogs Drafted By Melbourne Demons

2021 Stats for Season 2021

14 Games 23
8.1 Kicks 8.0
2.5 Handballs 4.2
10.6 Disposals 12.2
3.4 Marks 2.4
1.8 Goals 1.6
0.9 Behinds 1.2
1.9 Tackles 3.6
0 Hitouts 0
2.4 Inside 50s 2.5
0.8 Goal Assists 0.4
1.8 Frees For 0.9
0.6 Frees Against 0.8
5.1 Contested Possessions 5.9
5.4 Uncontested Possessions 6.1
6.8 Effective Disposals 7.5
64.2% Disposal Efficiency % 61.5%
1.7 Clangers 2.6
0.8 Contested Marks 0.1
1.7 Marks Inside 50 1.1
0.1 Clearances 1.1
0.2 Rebound 50s 0.3
0.9 One Percenters 0.9
0 Bounces 0.5
76.1 Time On Ground % 76.7
0 Centre Clearances 0.2
0.1 Stoppage Clearances 0.9
5.2 Score Involvements 5.2
198.4 Metres Gained 221.9
2.6 Turnovers 2.0
1.1 Intercepts 1.4
1.3 Tackles Inside 50 1.6
58.6 AFL Fantasy Score 63.4
68.2 Supercoach Score 67.7

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 11:36 PM
Pretty close statistically. Perhaps Cody with a slight advantage in goals and GAs. Better marking game too, much. Both clubs would be very happy. Even their combine results were similar, with Cody just doing a bit better too. Either club would’ve drafted the other too. Playing good finals footy already.

I’m stoked we have who we have. That’s for sure. He’s got 20 games less experience, so there’s more growth to come to make a comparison closer and/or better yet again.

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Cody ignites us more than Pickett does them. Takes better hangers too.

josie
30-08-2021, 11:52 PM
Have not watched all Melbourne games but from what I’ve seen Cody is a better mark & more reliable kick for goal. Would not swap for Pickett although both are exciting players & both great dream players for marketing too.

Vred
31-08-2021, 12:19 AM
I'd love Pickett on our team, and we should (if cap allows) make a play for him when the time comes, great natural crumber.

Right now tho, Weightman any day of the week.

boydogs
31-08-2021, 02:28 AM
Weightman's a yard slower which is normally key for small forwards but his toolbox makes him a tougher matchup

dog town
31-08-2021, 05:33 AM
Pickett is a better player at the moment. You can’t judge Pickett off pure stats he is inciting panic into backlines with his pace and agility. As well as he is going Cody is a little one dimensional at the moment for mine in comparison.

AshMac
31-08-2021, 06:22 AM
Good comparison. Slightly different players IMO. Cody a key forward type with intense pressure, Pickett a speedy crumber.

I love Weightman, so probably him - but would genuinely be delighted w either of them.

Ozza
31-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Think both clubs would be pretty happy. Pickett probably edges Cody slightly as I'd say on the balance of things, Pickett is a player that is harder to keep 'out' of the game if you were trying specifically to shut him down. I'd be very happy with either, and am very happy with Cody - particularly the spirit he brings to the group.

Mantis
31-08-2021, 09:39 AM
Pickett is a better player at the moment. You can’t judge Pickett off pure stats he is inciting panic into backlines with his pace and agility. As well as he is going Cody is a little one dimensional at the moment for mine in comparison.

I don't get the one dimensional comment in relation to Cody, who I think kicks goals in a number of different ways and applies very good forward half pressure... can you explain what you mean?

comrade
31-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Cody is a great finisher, brings pressure and energy, elite marking for his size. Heaps of great tools and exactly what we need in our forward line.

Hopefully with more experience he irons out the decision making when it comes to leaping at the ball. He can be like an annoying kid wanting to get involved in everything his older brothers are doing but other than that, he's absolute gold.

dog town
31-08-2021, 09:48 AM
I don't get the one dimensional comment in relation to Cody, who I think kicks goals in a number of different ways and applies very good forward half pressure... can you explain what you mean? In comparison I think he is more one dimensional, not that he is particularly one dimensional in isolation. Certainly not meant as a criticism just a comparison. It is a difficult balance for him because he needs to use his aerial assets but there is times we miss that pure front and square player that Cody has shown glimpses of.

He is getting most of his goals from set shots (marks or free kicks) and I would like to see him get a few more at ground level before I have him ahead of Picket. Of course you could mount an argument that Pickett is one dimensional for getting most of his at ground level but I feel he is doing more in multiple areas of the game.

hujsh
31-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Pickett has a better pressure game and Weightman has a better aerial game.

Generally speaking you prefer the former in a small forward which may mean Pickett gets the nod.

Not that Cody is a slouch in that area either

SquirrelGrip
31-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Don't tell the Bombers Buffoons:

1.8 Frees For 0.9

Kozy has more Frees For than Cody.

jeemak
31-08-2021, 10:41 AM
It's probably coaching/ game day tactics/ strategy but on the face of things it looks like Pickett has a little bit more of an impact in transition, which probably leads him to get more crumbing opportunities on the follow up forward running.

Cody seems to have a starting position closer to goal facing the play.

bornadog
31-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Kozi is more of an opportunist and if the opportunities don't come, then he doesn't get the ball, whereas I feel Cody is in there all the time creating opportunities.

I do like Kozi's speed and he would compliment Cody in our forward line.

dog town
31-08-2021, 11:05 AM
It's probably coaching/ game day tactics/ strategy but on the face of things it looks like Pickett has a little bit more of an impact in transition, which probably leads him to get more crumbing opportunities on the follow up forward running.

Cody seems to have a starting position closer to goal facing the play. That is probably a very good call. Pickett is getting much higher and running at defenders or towards his own goal far more often. Cody showed he can do that against Port when he created a goal and also late in the game on the weekend.

Boots
31-08-2021, 11:09 AM
We seem to ask Cody to play 'taller' than he is, and something about our system or structure doesn't seem to enable him to lurk around packs in the forward 50 the same way Melbourne's allows Kozy to. But he's such a dynamite set shot that marks and frees work exceptionally well for him, and he contests hard for marks despite always giving away height. Bevo likes to foster a given player's strengths so I'd bet that's why Cody plays the way he does.

I wonder what Cody would look like in a forward line that was built around bringing the ball to ground rather than taking contested pack marks? We seem to want small forwards but I'm never sure we'd know what to do with them if we had them. The days of Picken and Stringer are over.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 11:17 AM
Weightman's a yard slower which is normally key for small forwards but his toolbox makes him a tougher matchup

It’s interesting that to the eye. At the combine they tested near identical for speed over 20m. Perhaps the exact role allows Pickett to show more of it. On the flip side, Cody shows great speed to smoother once or twice a game.

mjp
31-08-2021, 01:18 PM
They are just different players.

Pickett is a 'small' forward.
Weightman is a medium forward.

Weightman is a crumber I guess but generates a lot of his opportunities on the lead - pushing up/getting back etc.
Pickett is primarily a crumber.

Even though (looking at the more effective non-key talls from this century) Phil Matera and Stephen Milne are about the same size, Milne was a SMALL forward (like Pickett) and Matera a medium forward (like Weightman). It isn't about size, shape or anything other than playing style...Pickett is more like Betts and Weightman more like Jeff Farmer...

Who is better? Well - it depends what you want. Both players seem to be going well right now...I think having a genuine crumber type in the side would really help Weightman but he's making it work.

Testekill
31-08-2021, 02:02 PM
Kozzy is a freakish small with great pressure skills, Weightman is a marking small that can pull off the extraordinary and plays taller than he his. You'd be happy with either of them but I feel Weightman's superior strength and marking ability puts him ahead.

MrMahatma
31-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Mathew Lloyd said on Footy Classified that Weightman lives with an ex player (forget who he said... maybe Blumfield?). Anyway, apparently Weightmen does "everything he possibly can to be the best he can be. He has stated he wants to be the best small forward in the game".

Gotta love that! He'll get every ounce out of his ability. We've got a gem.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Mathew Lloyd said on Footy Classified that Weightman lives with an ex player (forget who he said... maybe Blumfield?). Anyway, apparently Weightmen does "everything he possibly can to be the best he can be. He has stated he wants to be the best small forward in the game".

Gotta love that! He'll get every ounce out of his ability. We've got a gem.

Eddie said on Sunday on Fox Footy that his son is good mates with Cody, such he holidayed with them (might have been Eddie’s mansion in the peninsula). Eddie said despite the fun going on, Cody stayed off the booze and at sparrows fart was training every morning. Really impressed Eddie. Also said he’s just a ripping kid and is full of life all the time. Just loves him.

Garcia is also in that friendship group and Eddie was a fan of his too.

Happy Days
31-08-2021, 06:49 PM
Weightman lives with Angus Monfries, which is completely hilarious when you think what Monfries was like as a player.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 07:01 PM
Weightman lives with Angus Monfries, which is completely hilarious when you think what Monfries was like as a player.

That is pretty funny.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 07:02 PM
They are just different players.

Pickett is a 'small' forward.
Weightman is a medium forward.

Weightman is a crumber I guess but generates a lot of his opportunities on the lead - pushing up/getting back etc.
Pickett is primarily a crumber.

Even though (looking at the more effective non-key talls from this century) Phil Matera and Stephen Milne are about the same size, Milne was a SMALL forward (like Pickett) and Matera a medium forward (like Weightman). It isn't about size, shape or anything other than playing style...Pickett is more like Betts and Weightman more like Jeff Farmer...

Who is better? Well - it depends what you want. Both players seem to be going well right now...I think having a genuine crumber type in the side would really help Weightman but he's making it work.

Le Cras? Would he be a small forward?

comrade
31-08-2021, 07:08 PM

What’s the connection with Monfries? Weird housemate.

1eyedog
31-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Le Cras? Would he be a small forward?

Medium.

jazzadogs
31-08-2021, 08:02 PM

I was looking at something the other day, Angus Monfries has played the 7th or 8th most games in the #6 jumper in VFL/AFL history.

I had wiped from my memory that he was a Footscray co-captain in 2018 - that might be the connection.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2021, 08:20 PM
Cody is born for finals. He’ll thrive in the pressured environment.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 09:47 PM
I was looking at something the other day, Angus Monfries has played the 7th or 8th most games in the #6 jumper in VFL/AFL history.

I had wiped from my memory that he was a Footscray co-captain in 2018 - that might be the connection.

Did Johnno play the most? I know he started in a different number (33?) but he must have played 340 or so in #6.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Medium.

Yep. Six foot exactly.

He'd be playing in the ruck for us.

jazzadogs
31-08-2021, 09:52 PM
Did Johnno play the most? I know he started in a different number (33?) but he must have played 340 or so in #6.

Test yourself here (https://www.sporcle.com/games/gurushim/vafl-games--goals-in-the-no6-guernsey) (if you click on the user gurushim you will see that they have a bunch of AFL quizzes, including top 20 goals/games by club).

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 10:04 PM
Test yourself here (https://www.sporcle.com/games/gurushim/vafl-games--goals-in-the-no6-guernsey) (if you click on the user gurushim you will see that they have a bunch of AFL quizzes, including top 20 goals/games by club).

Brad Johnson is the highest games.

Is the leading goal kicked from Collingwood Peter McKenna? The Hawthorn player could be Michael Moncrieff?

The Footscray player who kicked 288 must be Bill Woods or Alan Rait I guess

soupman
01-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Quite a few similiar quizzes on sporcle too

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 01:58 AM
We will see them head to head in a GF.

Their combine results were similar.
Draft same year. 3 picks a part.
Both clubs were interested in both.
Their stats this year are similar.
Both playing in a Grand Final.
They’ve been linked so much so far.

This game and how they perform will might seperate them.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 03:47 AM
It's unfair because Koz won't get supply.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 03:49 AM
This is for another thread but I don't think Melbourne know how little footy and opportunity they will get.

We kept Port to less than eight goals tonight because our defence is *!*!*!*!ing amazing. Koz won't get a look.