PDA

View Full Version : Bontempelli Historic AFLPA Double

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 10:46 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli has become the third player in 40 years to win the AFL Players Association's MVP and best captain double after an outstanding season that was celebrated on Thursday night.

Bontempelli polled 1176 votes to win the Leigh Matthews Trophy in emphatic style ahead of Carlton midfielder Sam Walsh (426) and prolific Gold Coast ball-winner Touk Miller (411).

Melbourne star Christian Petracca (338) and St Kilda captain Jack Steele (261) finished in the top five for the second straight season, with Steele also winning the Robert Rose most courageous award and finishing third in best captain voting.

First-time winner Bontempelli joined Brisbane champion Michael Voss and West Coast and Carlton great Chris Judd as players to have won the MVP and best captain awards in the same season.

The Bulldogs skipper, who ranked top five in the League for both inside 50s (6.7 a game) and score involvements (7.3), received his awards while isolating ahead of Saturday's semi-final against Brisbane at the Gabba.

Bontempelli has also averaged a career-high 27 disposals and kicked 26 goals, with AFLPA president and Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield declaring the 25-year-old had become the "prototype modern AFL midfielder".

"He's dominated the middle of the ground in 2021 and also hit the scoreboard so his impact has been far-reaching," Dangerfield said.

"Put simply, there's been no better player across the 23 rounds this season than the 'Bont'. He's a worthy Leigh Matthews Trophy winner."

Bontempelli became the sixth separate winner of the Leigh Matthews Trophy in the past six seasons since Fremantle superstar Nat Fyfe went back-to-back in 2014-15.

Five of the previous six winners have also gone on to win the Brownlow Medal, with Bontempelli among the leading contenders for this year's prestigious award.

Melbourne captain Max Gawn (87 votes) finished runner-up to Bontempelli (224) in the best captain award, followed by Steele (83) and previous winners in Geelong captain Joel Selwood (60) and Collingwood skipper Scott Pendlebury (36).

Exciting Sydney half-forward Errol Gulden (299) was named the best first-year player, ahead of Essendon tall Nik Cox (139) and Adelaide forward Riley Thilthorpe (56).

Gulden, who was recruited by the Swans with pick No.32 in last year's NAB AFL Draft as an academy selection, also finished fifth in the NAB AFL Rising Star Award and was the highest-polling first-year player.

Voting for the Leigh Matthews Trophy starts with clubs nominating three players from their club each based on their players' votes, leading to a nomination list of 54 players across the 18 teams.

All players then vote for their MVP on a 3, 2, 1 basis from the nominees of the 17 other clubs, meaning they cannot vote for their teammates in the second stage of the process.

A similar process is followed for the best first-year player and most courageous player awards, with all captains automatically nominated for the best captain award.

AFLPA MVP

Marcus Bontempelli (1176)
750 Point Gap
Sam Walsh (426)
Touk Miller (411)
Christian Petracca (338)
Jack Steele (261)

Most Courageous

Jack Steele (186)
Tom Doedee (118)
Liam Baker (61)
Liam Jones (55)
Tom Jonas (40)

Best First-Year Player

Errol Gulden (299)
Nikolas Cox (139)
Riley Thilthorpe (56)
Tom Powell (27)
Tom Highmore (26)

Best Captain

Marcus Bontempelli (224)
137 Point Difference
Max Gawn (87)
Jack Steele (83)
Joel Selwood (60)
Scott Pendlebury (36)

bulldogtragic
02-09-2021, 10:52 PM
Voss. Double AFLPA win. Brownlow.
Judd. Double AFLPA win. Brownlow
Bonts. Double AFLPA win. ???

I hope the umpires agree.

jeemak
02-09-2021, 10:57 PM
I've always said the players have much more of an idea about who is good compared to the coaches and try and prove that I didn't (please don't).

Grantysghost
02-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Oliver is a popular guy.....

AshMac
02-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Hmmm - bit more blunted about the Brownlow now.

Glad he gets the recognition for an outstanding season

EasternWest
02-09-2021, 11:07 PM
Nice to see LJ do well in most courageous.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-09-2021, 07:32 AM
Not bad for a pick number four. He has been outstanding and in big moments too

Now that’s one of three this month ticked off

ratsmac
03-09-2021, 10:33 AM
This award shits on the Brownlow medal imo. What would the umps know anyhow, just ask the Essenscum fans :)

bornadog
03-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Gary Lyon apparently had a go at the award, claiming what would players know they never watch footy. I am sure if Oliver was up high on the votes he would not say that. He also conveniently forgets, the players watch hours of game film and study the opposition players. Really can't stand the bloke.

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2021, 11:05 AM
Gary Lyon apparently had a go at the award, claiming what would players know they never watch footy. I am sure if Oliver was up high on the votes he would not say that. He also conveniently forgets, the players watch hours of game film and study the opposition players. Really can't stand the bloke.

Kane Cornes is following the same line.

Saying that players shouldn't vote for the PLAYERS ASSOCIATION awards.

bornadog
03-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Kane Cornes is following the same line.

Saying that players shouldn't vote for the PLAYERS ASSOCIATION awards.

all I can say is FMD

jazzadogs
03-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Surprised that Oliver and Wines weren't near the top. They are clearly in the top bracket of players.

wimberga
03-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Surprised that Oliver and Wines weren't near the top. They are clearly in the top bracket of players.

I could be mistaken, but I think only player from each club is nominated.

Murphy'sLore
03-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Dumb question, but when do they do the actual voting? Is it all done at the end of the H&A season?

Boots
03-09-2021, 04:08 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think only player from each club is nominated.

According to this (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670721/your-clubs-mvp-nominees-shock-snubs-at-bombers-demons) it's 3 players for MVP from each team. Oliver and Wines were definitely in it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2021, 04:11 PM
Yeah my initial thoughts were sour grapes from Lyon....but I then read Jordan Lewis' thoughts on it, and he said most players don't watch a heap of footy and that as a result they more end up influenced by external media and commentary about how other players are performing. He also said that it takes about 30 minutes to fill out the form and its easy to lose interest in it.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Yeah my initial thoughts were sour grapes from Lyon....but I then read Jordan Lewis' thoughts on it, and he said most players don't watch a heap of footy and that as a result they more end up influenced by external media and commentary about how other players are performing. He also said that it takes about 30 minutes to fill out the form and its easy to lose interest in it.

Another former Melbourne player writing it off? Surely not.

jazzadogs
03-09-2021, 04:56 PM

I call bulldust. If that was the case, wouldn't brownlow favourite Ollie Wines have performed better? Do we really think afl players have been reading about Errol Gulden in the news?

You could definitely make an argument that a whole team sat in a room and someone asked "who's the most courageous" and one person said Steele so the rest said Steele - but I don't think they are getting swayed by external media. If they don't watch the games, they're not watching Footy Classified.

I hope Bont sees it as the honour that it is. He was clearly the Most Valuable Player in the comp this year - you could see his importance in the way we played when he dropped away at the end of the year.

Jeanette54
03-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Bont gives value in a couple of different ways. First off, his onfield playing performance, and his total game day endeavour. Secondly I see his leadership on game day. He is always there, directing and supporting his players during a game. Have a look when the TV goes into the rooms. If a player has had a bad day, Bont is never far away. An arm around the shoulders or a quiet chat, they sense their Captain is on their side.

Some players can give value over and above pure game stats. Bont is one such player.

I have always thought that EJ was our best ever, though I could give some credence to my Grandfather's claim that Alan Hopkins holds that mantle. In my mind Marcus is pushing into that same rarified atmosphere.

bornadog
03-09-2021, 05:33 PM
According to this (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670721/your-clubs-mvp-nominees-shock-snubs-at-bombers-demons) it's 3 players for MVP from each team. Oliver and Wines were definitely in it.

Correct. We had Bont, Libba and Macrae

Bulldog Revolution
03-09-2021, 06:40 PM
One of the great awards in the league - being recognised by your peers as the best player in the competition

Congrats Bont - look forward to watching you tear Brisbane apart on Saturday - you are due!

Eastdog
03-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Congrats Bont! Very well deserved. What great season he has had. Hopefully he becomes our next premiership captain.