PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
04-09-2021, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Semi Final match against against the Brisbane Lions as we prepare for a game against Port?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2021, 11:12 PM
I ‘think’ we were just cautious with Cody.

In: JJ
Out: VDM

Testekill
04-09-2021, 11:25 PM
Hopefully we were just being cautious with Cody and Bont pulls up fine.

Bullies
04-09-2021, 11:52 PM
Bevo just said Cody will be out

macca
05-09-2021, 12:13 AM
Out: Cody( concussion), Treloar ( offered very little tonight)
In: Scott, McNeil. Scott can play back as well. These guys can come in for pressure fwd line.

Rance Fan
05-09-2021, 12:16 AM
Out Cody, Trealor
In JJ, Wallis
Sub Cordy

whythelongface
05-09-2021, 12:20 AM
Can understand why some want Treloar dropped but he is too good a player to leave out. He will be fine and provides an x-factor that is needed in finals.

EasternWest
05-09-2021, 12:20 AM
I'd be amazed if Treloar was dropped. Amazed.

The Doctor
05-09-2021, 12:22 AM
Martin for Young

Wallis sub

macca
05-09-2021, 12:22 AM
Can understand why some want Treloar dropped but he is too good a player to leave out. He will be fine and provides an x-factor that is needed in finals.

Agree, but there were some poor efforts tonight by him not to get over the ball to get possession or just get in and under packs.
But he wont be dropped.

Mantis
05-09-2021, 12:23 AM
Martin for Young

Wallis sub

Martin isn’t playing again this year.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 12:30 AM
Probably no change again.

JJ was handy as sub, but not sure who he comes in for - maybe VDM who is unreliable on goal, but did a few good things with his speed closing down space and applying pressure.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2021, 12:31 AM
In Cordy
Out Gardner

Other changes needed yes but this has to be done

westbulldog
05-09-2021, 12:39 AM
JJ might come in if Weightman is out with a concussion. Cordy v Ladhams, Marshall, Dixon, Georgiades etc, I think not.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2021, 12:44 AM
Garcia a possibility for the sub role?

Mantis
05-09-2021, 12:45 AM
In Cordy
Out Gardner

Yeah, nah… Cordy couldn’t go with the Port forwards a few weeks back and shouldn’t be in our PF team.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2021, 12:55 AM
I'd actually consider McNeil for an extra crumber.

Is Martin categorically out?

Did Roarke do enough?

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 12:56 AM

Did Roarke do enough?

Roarke did enough for sure.

Too long between games for McNeil.

Martin has to be zero chance.

bornadog
05-09-2021, 01:09 AM

Did Roarke do enough?

Bevo has said he will only come in if English or Young are injured

Roarke did enough for sure.

Too long between games for McNeil.

Martin has to be zero chance.

I thought Roarke was excellent tonight

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 01:24 AM
Roarke is locked in.

JJ is locked in IMO.

Confused why Gardner would get dropped for Cordy - he did nothing wrong in my eyes, admittedly with minimal tall opposition but I like his fist floating into contests.

Treloar is absolutely locked. He is a top 20 player in the league at his best, you don't drop that for a prelim.

I'm going with JJ for VDM. If Cody is out, it's Wallis for me. If Bont is out, then fmd I dunno what to do.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 01:47 AM
If Cody is out, I want a natural forward with x-factor. Scott or Wallis doesn’t begin to offer what Cody does. I’d look at Marra, but get him to watch games of Cody or Toby Greene (less the stupid stuff). Marra is actually quicker than Cody over 20m, and has the aerial tricks too. A good kick and good forward craft. But I don’t want him in a KPF role. I want natural forwards, not players who line up forward.

Hopefully Cody only has a ‘head knock’ and lines up. It’s a Prelim, and our guys aren’t playing VFL to generate real form, we are not swinging changes. JJ for VDM seems obvious.

josie
05-09-2021, 02:09 AM
At risk of being shot down if Bont is unable to play, is Lipinski a chance? I mean in the guts. I know Lipinski is leaving club but if you’ve watched VFL he is a bloody good inside midfielder and tends not to fumble. He is slow but then a fair few of our midfielders are. Same argument could be had for Wally who because he is VC would probably get the nod (was an emergency tonight so you’d think he’d get the nod) but romance aside I think Lippy is a better midfielder. Then again with Wally you know he will put his body on the line and I know Lippy has been criticised for being soft. Wally could play as a forward if Cody is out. I’d actually prefer Marra if Cody is out.

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 02:14 AM
Gardner was solid as. No shot he gets dropped.

I’m gonna assume Cody misses and Bont plays. I’d play McNeil but reckon we go with Scott.

josie
05-09-2021, 02:23 AM
Just remembered West. He was emergency last week too. Hmmmm-of course we hope Bont can play but MC have some options if he cannot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2021, 02:38 AM

Did Roarke do enough?

If Cody is out. I'd definitely consider McNeil.
Martin is gone... let it go... let it go!

Roarke was awesome tonight I thought. He's moving towards best 22.

kruder
05-09-2021, 02:40 AM
Hard to know what to do with Lewis Young we just don't have many options right now.

Ozza
05-09-2021, 02:57 AM
Think all being fit, you'd be unlikely to make changes.

Hard to see an argument for playing Young again after basically choosing to go one short most of the second half to avoid playing him.

Going to be an interesting week given Bevo has put his stake in the ground on ruckman.

hujsh
05-09-2021, 03:37 AM
Just saw Young only played 50% game time.

That must put him in a pretty precarious position for selection.

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 03:40 AM
Just saw Young only played 50% game time.

That must put him in a pretty precarious position for selection.

We were significantly better with English in the ruck tonight, but honestly don’t think we can use Young’s spot in the 22 any better other than the ruck support he gives.

Scraggers
05-09-2021, 05:32 AM
If Cody is out, then Wallis comes in to play the small forward role. Otherwise, no change.

dog town
05-09-2021, 07:42 AM
I have had every knee injury known to man and I can’t figure out what he has done that would impact the back of the knee. Do we think it was the patella hitting the ground or the Brisbane player falling across the back of his lower leg? If he hadn’t grabbed for the back of his knee I would suggest syndesmosis the way his lower leg get twisted.

Few ppl suggesting some sort of PCL injury. If it’s ruptured he would be done, Adam Goodes played out a gf with one but you’re not going to manage it through a finals series. On a positive note Schache only missed a week with what seemed like a painful knee injury.

The Pie Man
05-09-2021, 09:19 AM
Young was ok against Lycett a few weeks back, but was dreadful last night. He was on a hiding to nothing against O, so they have to balance that. Probably safe

Worst game I’ve seen Treloar play, he didn’t look interested in chasing or tackling in the first half (he’d be embarrassed by some of the vision) but no way he’s dropped.

Can’t see us wriggling out of the sub issue with Cody, which will be a damn shame. Reckon Bevo might look at Ed to come in if we can’t pull a swifty.

Will assume the Bont plays, he gave detail in his post game interview with Hodge which is reassuring.

comrade
05-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Young was ok against Lycett a few weeks back, but was dreadful last night. He was on a hiding to nothing against O, so they have to balance that. Probably safe

I'm not sure we have a choice when it comes to Young.

It's either him or we go with English and a bunch of misfits providing back up, completely breaking down our structure ahead of the ball.

Expect Lycett to just take the ball out of the ruck and slam it forward all night either way.

G-Mo77
05-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Was there any official new on Bont. Weightman will be out

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 09:44 AM
I’m not too concerned re Young’s lack of game time last night. Given we preferenced Tim in the CB particularly for the second half of the game, it meant Lew often started on the bench. It was hard to get rotations with how the game was unfolding and we only started Young as one of the 6 forwards once that I saw (and Tv, so could be wayyy off).

Schache only had 70% game time too.

Definitely a game for the runners.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 09:45 AM
Was there any official new on Bont. Weightman will be out

Scan today or tomorrow in Perth.

Think Bont will play.

I think Bevo has basically ruled Cody out via his press conference.

G-Mo77
05-09-2021, 09:48 AM
Scan today or tomorrow in Perth.

Think Bont will play.

I think Bevo has basically ruled Cody out via his press conference.

It's going to be a nervous week

angelopetraglia
05-09-2021, 11:06 AM
A friend who is close to one of the players has told me he has got the mail that they are confident Bont is all OK. Fingers crossed. But that message this morning made my day.

azabob
05-09-2021, 11:20 AM
I really think JJ deserves his place in the 22 against the power. He played an influential 2nd half and should have nailed his set shot. Do I wish he'd attack the contest at a 100kmh, yes but he doesn't but he did seem to play with an extra edge and zip when he got his opportunity.

Mantis
05-09-2021, 11:21 AM
I really think JJ deserves his place in the 22 against the power. He played an influential 2nd half and should have nailed his set shot. Do I wish he'd attack the contest at a 100kmh, yes but he doesn't but he did seem to play with an extra edge and zip when he got his opportunity.

He needs to play in front of Vanders who is having minimal impact at present.

The Pie Man
05-09-2021, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure we have a choice when it comes to Young.

It's either him or we go with English and a bunch of misfits providing back up, completely breaking down our structure ahead of the ball.

Expect Lycett to just take the ball out of the ruck and slam it forward all night either way.

Hindsight and all that, but I hope Bevo asks himself if Sweet would’ve given us a bit more than Lewy last night….it was a Sweet vs Gawn type of performance.

Lewis’ effort in a unfamiliar role has been commendable, but Sweet is at least a ruckman by trade.

westdog54
05-09-2021, 11:46 AM
Roarke is locked in.

JJ is locked in IMO.

Confused why Gardner would get dropped for Cordy - he did nothing wrong in my eyes, admittedly with minimal tall opposition but I like his fist floating into contests.

Treloar is absolutely locked. He is a top 20 player in the league at his best, you don't drop that for a prelim.

I'm going with JJ for VDM. If Cody is out, it's Wallis for me. If Bont is out, then fmd I dunno what to do.

Gardner ran 15 kilometres last night and never once went to the bench, that's an immense work rate for a key defender.

He stays.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Gardner ran 15 kilometres last night and never once went to the bench, that's an immense work rate for a key defender.

He stays.

Absolutely. Taller, quicker and better defender/spoiler than Cordy.

I think we should make as little changes as possible. Continuity in the 22 cannot be overstated.

Testekill
05-09-2021, 12:36 PM

He stays.

Yeah a KPP that can stay out there all game or with minimal time on the bench is worth his weight in gold, it means that we can keep our structure easier.

Hotdog60
05-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Yeah a KPP that can stay out there all game or with minimal time on the bench is worth his weight in gold, it means that we can keep our structure easier.

I think this is what Bevo likes about Gardner as he reliable enough and it saves a rotation on the bench for a midfielder.

macca
05-09-2021, 02:07 PM
That is incredible that Gardner ran 15 km and stayed out there whole game

His endurance is elite, closing speed is quick and just looks strong

I am glad the umpire noticed the block he copped in the last quarter
Well done Ryan , you are important to the team
Imagine if he could add rebound kicking to his game ? Is he mates with Tom stewart ? Get some tips from him .

Mitcha
05-09-2021, 02:24 PM
In Cordy
Out Gardner

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that is a worse call than the deliberate against Caleb, please enlighten us on why you suggested your change.

GVGjr
05-09-2021, 02:30 PM
I think this is what Bevo likes about Gardner as he reliable enough and it saves a rotation on the bench for a midfielder.

Our defenders often play longer minutes, Keath didn't come off either.

It certainly is an advantage to have some players who can stay on the ground longer.

EasternWest
05-09-2021, 02:34 PM
In Cordy
Out Gardner

BR are you still drunk?

Raels_d
05-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Could Cordy for Young be a consideration? He could play defensive forward on Alir and give English a hand in ruck contests forward 50. He also played forward in 2016.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2021, 05:44 PM
Could Cordy for Young be a consideration? He could play defensive forward on Alir and give English a hand in ruck contests forward 50. He also played forward in 2016.

I was thinking that. It's a hard one. I respect what Lewy is doing, lots of effort trying to pug gaps but thought he was a liability last night and sides can really find him out as a ruck. He struggles to have an impact forward.

Lewy's ability to take a grab has been non existent last two weeks. He was relatively good early v Port but Lycett dominated once he got a sighter.

What's the alternatives?

1/ Zaine as a def forward x 2nd ruck. As mentioned, not sure Lewy is offering us anything forward atm. Can Zaine actually do any better there? He'd be more physical in the ruck but not as athletic. I guess element of surprise might be worth something for like a quarter? Really clutching.

2/ just go back to one less tall. I think losing Cody makes this harder but maybe Wally comes in. Schache, if knee is right, to support in ruck, along with smalls.

3/ Sweet. Too late now I guess but I think Lycett is as suited to a good/gun work as it gets for Sweet.

angelopetraglia
05-09-2021, 08:19 PM
Tom Browne "The Bont will get a scan in Perth tonight. Bontempelli has indicated to sources today he think’s his knee is relatively ok. We should know tomorrow morning."

I'm happy to hear that is similar to the mail I got today. Hopefully the scan doesn't show anything of concern.

josie
05-09-2021, 08:44 PM
Just watched replay-I thought Young was better on second viewing. He competed alright around ground, was unlucky not to clunk a few marks & was ok at ground level. He was no world beater but I think he tired McInerney which then helped English break even in parts of 2nd qtr & the second half in the centre.

If Young is dropped I think a tall forward - come on down JUH - needs to come in as English will be rucking more & Naughton needs aerial support. My guess is MC might stay with the hybrids for the preliminary.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Just watched replay-I thought Young was better on second viewing. He competed alright around ground, was unlucky not to clunk a few marks & was ok at ground level. He was no world beater but I think he tired McInerney which then helped English break even in parts of 2nd qtr & the second half in the centre.

If Young is dropped I think a tall forward - come on down JUH - needs to come in as English will be rucking more & Naughton needs aerial support. My guess is MC might stay with the hybrids for the preliminary.

Agreed. I always go to 2010 Premiership Player, Leigh Brown. 194cm & 104kg. Not a ruck. Not a KPD. Not a KPF. But Brown was a Hybrid Utility that could do all reasonably well enough. Young is 201cm & 100kg and a similar style of Hybrid. They can clearly be important. With Port having 3 talks and 2 rucks, the flexibility to ruck or drop back as needed is some flexibility and insurance. The Hybrids are doing ok. Stick with what’s working is my view.

FrediKanoute
05-09-2021, 09:23 PM
At risk of being shot down if Bont is unable to play, is Lipinski a chance? I mean in the guts. I know Lipinski is leaving club but if you’ve watched VFL he is a bloody good inside midfielder and tends not to fumble. He is slow but then a fair few of our midfielders are. Same argument could be had for Wally who because he is VC would probably get the nod (was an emergency tonight so you’d think he’d get the nod) but romance aside I think Lippy is a better midfielder. Then again with Wally you know he will put his body on the line and I know Lippy has been criticised for being soft. Wally could play as a forward if Cody is out. I’d actually prefer Marra if Cody is out.

In short no. Wally may leave, but he hasn't said that yet. Like for like Wally is about as close as you get.

I the Bont is out I think it will be Richards who comes in.

I cannot see JUH playing in this game or the big dance unless we are really cruelled with injury.

josie
05-09-2021, 09:53 PM
In short no. Wally may leave, but he hasn't said that yet. Like for like Wally is about as close as you get.

I the Bont is out I think it will be Richards who comes in.

I cannot see JUH playing in this game or the big dance unless we are really cruelled with injury.

Agree with Richards call if Bont out, then Daniel & others can play more mid time. If Cody out & Bont plays then Bont could play more forward. If both are out I’m not sure what we’ll do. I love Wally, but think he is too slow and when he did get a game this year his goal kicking was poor.

1eyedog
05-09-2021, 10:56 PM
Wally and Sweet have played zero football over a long time. Would prefer hardened players.

macca
06-09-2021, 12:03 AM
Agreed. I always go to 2010 Premiership Player, Leigh Brown. 194cm & 104kg. Not a ruck. Not a KPD. Not a KPF. But Brown was a Hybrid Utility that could do all reasonably well enough. Young is 201cm & 100kg and a similar style of Hybrid. They can clearly be important. With Port having 3 talks and 2 rucks, the flexibility to ruck or drop back as needed is some flexibility and insurance. The Hybrids are doing ok. Stick with what’s working is my view.

I like what your thinking . The sum of all parts make him a better player, able to provide that impact in short spurts at different positions
I hope we can see Young blossom into the output list Leigh Brown provided to the pies late into his career. If he does he could threaten to become cult status Hybrid

Surprisingly Brown was delisted in 2008 by North, and the rest is history …

Bullies
06-09-2021, 09:36 AM
We were significantly better with English in the ruck tonight, but honestly don’t think we can use Young’s spot in the 22 any better other than the ruck support he gives. I would play Sweet instead of Young. At least Sweet knows how to ruck. Young gives us nothing around the ground so we have nothing to lose.

Bullies
06-09-2021, 09:40 AM
He needs to play in front of Vanders who is having minimal impact at present.
I agree. I'm not sure how Vanders got straight back in after his long absence. I know he is quick but the objective is to get the ball and that is not something he is good at.

comrade
06-09-2021, 09:44 AM
Vanders has been quiet but he had some critical moments in the last quarter, and his tackling pressure caused a spillage that lead to Libba's 2nd goal too.

I think he'll stay in, particularly if Cody misses.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Vanders has been quiet but he had some critical moments in the last quarter, and his tackling pressure caused a spillage that lead to Libba's 2nd goal too.

I think he'll stay in, particularly if Cody misses.

2 I50 tackles. Really hard to tell with VDM not being at the ground. If he is offering constant real pressure, around the right zone, able to run hard etc, he stays.

comrade
06-09-2021, 10:31 AM
2 I50 tackles. Really hard to tell with VDM not being at the ground. If he is offering constant real pressure, around the right zone, able to run hard etc, he stays.

He really needs to nail his limited opportunities, though. Reckon he needs to give away the set shot and just go around the corner. Habitual sprayer to the right.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2021, 10:40 AM
He really needs to nail his limited opportunities, though. Reckon he needs to give away the set shot and just go around the corner. Habitual sprayer to the right.

Totally agree.

dog town
06-09-2021, 11:15 AM
Agree that this is hard to judge on TV. Just to the eye it looks like his repeat efforts are not at the level of earlier in the year.

Mantis
06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Agree that this is hard to judge on TV. Just to the eye it looks like his repeat efforts are not at the level of earlier in the year.

Yep, he's been ok when around the ball (bar the finishing), but doesn't seem to have the running power to get heavily involved. At a minimum I think JJ offers more at present, but given the inconsistencies of Scott & McNeil we aren't awash with options.

Vred
06-09-2021, 11:34 AM
I would play Sweet instead of Young. At least Sweet knows how to ruck. Young gives us nothing around the ground so we have nothing to lose.

+1 To this.

Just to Sweet to half ruck contests, and play hard, nothing fancy, let the midfield do the heavy lifting, better then Young having 50% TOG and getting toweled up by Lad/Lyc

Happy Days
06-09-2021, 11:59 AM
I would play Sweet instead of Young. At least Sweet knows how to ruck. Young gives us nothing around the ground so we have nothing to lose.

Young is probably a better ruckman than Sweet, and is definitely a more versatile and better player.

Honestly, since Young has come in, playing the two rucks in tandem has allowed us to work over the opposition's ruck and even push ahead in the later stages of games. Look at that free McInerney gave away late on the weekend; when you're feeling yourself in the ruck, you're running in fluidly, eyes for the ball only and couldn't really care less about finding the opponent's body. Feelings on the free kick notwithstanding (it of course was there just look at it ffs) it's clear that McInerney was doing none of that, and I have to put that down to all the work Lewy and Tim put in.

In my experience rucks, if faced with the same lesser opponent over and over, will get their cadence and the opponent's flaws down and become really quite dominant in the third and fourth quarters. By continually giving different looks we can at least mitigate this. Not to mention we're putting far less fatigue onto Timmy, which seems to be doing his ruck work a world of good.

But it won't work playing a guy who, best case, can only ruck to a mediocre standard. If they're going to be out there then they have to be capable of a contribution whereever they're playing.

Raw Toast
06-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Yep, he's been ok when around the ball (bar the finishing), but doesn't seem to have the running power to get heavily involved. At a minimum I think JJ offers more at present, but given the inconsistencies of Scott & McNeil we aren't awash with options.

I think that running power is an apt way of phrasing it. Earlier in the season he was explosive, coming from seemingly no-where to wrap opposition players up, and also seemed to cover a heap of ground (though as dog town notes, it's harder to track that on tv).

I actually like the idea of Marra being brought in. I know that there are some questions re his ability to run out the game, but his pace is an explosive defensive as well as attacking weapon. And he showed against Melbourne in particular (but also Gold Coast), that he could still use that burst on the lead late in games to get space in the 50.

The ability to find space on the lead is something that we're lacking a bit at the moment in our forward 50, and I think it's a vital advantage in the tightness of finals encounters when everything is harder.

Ozza
06-09-2021, 12:10 PM
So JJ comes into the 22 to replace Weightman. I'd have Wallis as the medi sub. He's done the role before and has the experience to come in and do the role if required.

If Bont doesn't getup then I don't know what happens (all hell breaks loose!!)

The one that the most challenging is the Lewis Young/ruck discussion. Personally, I don't think you can play him. Once he got handled in the ruck early on Saturday - we didn't really have anywhere to hide him and only kept him on 53% TOG.

Its not a straight forward decision, because Sweet and Martin both haven't played in so long - but we should play one of them. Being non competitive in the middle puts way too much pressure on the rest of the gameplan.

There's no way Cordy comes in for Gardner. The defence is gelling well - and managed to keep a team that had 68 entries to 78 points.

Danjul
06-09-2021, 12:14 PM
We won on Saturday because some players did a massive job, and they made up for numerous weaknesses.

Treloar was a passenger (but with potential to improve).
Vander.. not a play maker. A couple of contributions are not sufficient.
Hannan is a negative. He crashes the pack, even when it contains only bulldogs. I estimate he prevented a few goals.

Must fix the lack of coordination between the tall forwards.They arenÂ’t getting enough goals because they are too close together and allowing the defenders to concentrate. ThatÂ’s why Naughton always has two spoilers to complete against him lately.

Spraying kicks has been mentioned, thatÂ’s why defenders hang back when our forwards lead. Gives intercept marks and costs goals.

Plenty for coaches to focus on, could be some easy fixes.

Axe Man
06-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Just on Vander, no way would I be dropping him, even if Weightman plays.

His set shot goal kicking is certainly an issue but he had 4 tackles and 16 pressure acts which is exactly what we want from him in the forward line. I don't think there is another player that can replicate his attack on the ball at pace apart from Flea, and ideally we have them both.

Ozza
06-09-2021, 12:29 PM
I really have never understood the criticism toward Hannan. Think he is pretty bloody important to us. Particularly with Bruce being out - he needs to be a presence for us in the air. Strong body, doesn't get out marked, and has good speed and power in our forward half. He's not playing a role that lends itself to big stat numbers (although 15 and 2.2 v Essendon was a higher than normal return) but he's the sort of player that might have 2-3 moments that can influence the result.

Mantis
06-09-2021, 12:34 PM
So JJ comes into the 22 to replace Weightman. I'd have Wallis as the medi sub. He's done the role before and has the experience to come in and do the role if required.

If Bont doesn't getup then I don't know what happens (all hell breaks loose!!)

The one that the most challenging is the Lewis Young/ruck discussion. Personally, I don't think you can play him. Once he got handled in the ruck early on Saturday - we didn't really have anywhere to hide him and only kept him on 53% TOG.

Its not a straight forward decision, because Sweet and Martin both haven't played in so long - but we should play one of them. Being non competitive in the middle puts way too much pressure on the rest of the gameplan.

There's no way Cordy comes in for Gardner. The defence is gelling well - and managed to keep a team that had 68 entries to 78 points.

Not much to disagree with you there... think Scott comes in for Bont if that happens and Treloar & Dunkley get more midfield time. Dunkley needs to be in as many CB's as possible and play a defensive role on Wines or Boak.

Agree on Young, but I think we're too far down the road now to change it given the lack of footy for the other options... hopefully Tim can play as he did on the weekend by being competitive in the middle and we need Lewis to do the heavy lifting around the ground which he does better than the centre square work. Will also need Young to compete strongly in the air when he's up forward.

The backline are holding tough and whilst Port have a pretty strong forward-line we need to defend well as a group and will need help from up the ground because whilst Bris got lots of I'50's, after qtr time they didn't get a heap of clean ball.

dog town
06-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Not much to disagree with you there... think Scott comes in for Bont if that happens and Treloar & Dunkley get more midfield time. Dunkley needs to be in as many CB's as possible and play a defensive role on Wines or Boak.

Agree on Young, but I think we're too far down the road now to change it given the lack of footy for the other options... hopefully Tim can play as he did on the weekend by being competitive in the middle and we need Lewis to do the heavy lifting around the ground which he does better than the centre square work. Will also need Young to compete strongly in the air when he's up forward.

The backline are holding tough and whilst Port have a pretty strong forward-line we need to defend well as a group and will need help from up the ground because whilst Bris got lots of I'50's, after qtr time they didn't get a heap of clean ball. I like Dunkley as a stopper in either scenario. Probably leaning towards Boak who is playing with a touch of destiny about him, give him something else to think about.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 12:52 PM

The backline are holding tough and whilst Port have a pretty strong forward-line we need to defend well as a group and will need help from up the ground because whilst Bris got lots of I'50's, after qtr time they didn't get a heap of clean ball.

The last game we played Port, English spent almost the entire game at FF. I think we will find this time, English will have more ruck time minutes, especially in the middle. However, Centre clearances were even that night, but we were beaten in Stoppage clearances.

Danjul
06-09-2021, 12:59 PM
I really have never understood the criticism toward Hannan. Think he is pretty bloody important to us. Particularly with Bruce being out - he needs to be a presence for us in the air. Strong body, doesn't get out marked, and has good speed and power in our forward half. He's not playing a role that lends itself to big stat numbers (although 15 and 2.2 v Essendon was a higher than normal return) but he's the sort of player that might have 2-3 moments that can influence the result.
His problem is that he indiscriminately crashes packs when our talls would be in control. He also fumbled a lot in his early games. His best play is running into the goal area to receive a handball from a genuine play maker. I don’t see a positive overall contribution. And he has definitely contributed to the diminished goal kicking by the tall forwards. Needs to be told how to play smarter.

Vred
06-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Mark Steven's reporting:

''I am hearing positive early reports on Bont. Don't fret too much. Bad news unlikely''

bornadog
06-09-2021, 01:04 PM
His problem is that he indiscriminately crashes packs when our talls would be in control. He also fumbled a lot in his early games. His best play is running into the goal area to receive a handball from a genuine play maker. I don’t see a positive overall contribution. And he has definitely contributed to the diminished goal kicking by the tall forwards. Needs to be told how to play smarter.

Brilliant job getting that ball to Smith who put us in front with 2 min to go

1eyedog
06-09-2021, 01:06 PM

Yeah he was coming in hot.

Danjul
06-09-2021, 01:10 PM
I’m not saying he never does anything well, but he is nowhere near as consistent a contributor as in his first few years at Melbourne.

And at times now his play is reckless and costly. We play him because we know he might do something good, not because we know he will do something special.

Axe Man
06-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Mark Steven's reporting:

''I am hearing positive early reports on Bont. Don't fret too much. Bad news unlikely''

I thought he would be too busy with the Liberal leadership spill to worry about the Bont.

azabob
06-09-2021, 01:37 PM
I thought he would be too busy with the Liberal leadership spill to worry about the Bont.

Thanks for the laugh. Stevo is like any regular working stiff.... Bont first >>>>>>>>> work a long second.....

Vred
06-09-2021, 01:51 PM

When you work in politics you don’t really do much during the day so I don’t blame him on reporting on actual important news.

Ozza
06-09-2021, 02:01 PM

I really can't remember too many times that he has 'indiscriminately crashed' a pack and stuffed up Naughton or others. Obviously you've seen it happen and its stuck with you. I'll look out for it in future. I would say that Bruce being out means that it is incumbent upon him to compete in the air. He's played 15 games this season - so its not like he just came into the side and the goal kicking of Naughton and Bruce dropped off. I think if he was doing that, the coaches have had ample opportunity to drop him.

You need your role players, and Hannan is one of those.

dog town
06-09-2021, 02:21 PM
My feel on Hannan is that he gets a bit of a longer leash on his tangible input than others because of his assets. I think the match committee see him as being able to halve a contest/bring the ball to ground while still being able to cover the ground to defend. Closing exits, covering off dangerous space etc he is able to do better than a tall while still being athletic enough to compete. His athletic mix is viewed as saving us a selection somewhere else is my read on it.

My frustration with him is his below the knees stuff, stands out in a team of quick thinkers and clean ball handlers. The gather and handball to Smith and a couple of instances late against Essendon hopefully show that he can turn that around.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2021, 03:35 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1013857/bont-a-chance-to-play-weightman-ruled-out

Bont a chance to play, Weightman ruled out

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli is considered a chance to take his place in this Saturday night’s Preliminary Final, while enigmatic forward Cody Weightman has been ruled out under AFL concussion protocols.

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli is considered a chance to take his place in this Saturday night’s Preliminary Final, while enigmatic forward Cody Weightman has been ruled out under AFL concussion protocols.

Bontempelli will be tested throughout the week to determine if he can lead the side out against Port Adelaide.

“In the last minutes of the game, Marcus landed and had his knee twisted,” said Bulldogs’ head of sports medicine, Chris Bell.

“Scans have cleared him of any serious structural damage, but he does have some symptoms related to the injury.

“We’ll work with Marcus through the back end of this week to determine his availability.”

Weightman was withdrawn at half time of the Bulldogs’ memorable win over Brisbane at the Gabba after colliding with Lions’ defender Marcus Adams.

“During the half time break we made the decision to remove him from the game,” Bell said.

“Subsequent testing has confirmed he does have some low-level concussion symptoms.

“He won’t play this week, but we’ll monitor Cody in the next couple of days to determine his availability.”

angelopetraglia
06-09-2021, 03:39 PM
So what do we all think? Cryptic. But Bont should play?

Mantis
06-09-2021, 03:41 PM

Given there's no structural damage I'd like someone to try and stop him playing.

dog town
06-09-2021, 03:42 PM

The “chance” part is in the headline not the interview which is odd. Just the standard “we will work with him to determine availability” line was used by Bell which is normal.

If there is no structural damage he would have to be pretty sore to miss. May be a matter of getting the swelling down to a point that he can get mobility in the joint.

comrade
06-09-2021, 03:49 PM
No Cody is a huge blow.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2021, 03:50 PM
No Cody is a huge blow.

I'm gonna prefer to be glass half full and go a good to go Bont is a huge relief. We can win without Cody... I'm not so sure about that if Bont misses.

The Pie Man
06-09-2021, 03:50 PM
A badly bruised knee can be really hard to walk on for a few days, let alone run. He’ll play but probably won’t train.

Danjul
06-09-2021, 03:51 PM
I really can't remember too many times that he has 'indiscriminately crashed' a pack and stuffed up Naughton or others. Obviously you've seen it happen and its stuck with you. I'll look out for it in future. I would say that Bruce being out means that it is incumbent upon him to compete in the air. He's played 15 games this season - so its not like he just came into the side and the goal kicking of Naughton and Bruce dropped off. I think if he was doing that, the coaches have had ample opportunity to drop him.

You need your role players, and Hannan is one of those.

I want to see him take contested marks, I have seen a couple. And running past to receive at speed, I remember a good one from JUH. My biggest problem with the forwards though is they are not spreading to open up the defenders so they can’t form packs. That’s been a consistent problem in the last half of the season as the entries into the forward fifty have moved wider and their contribution has dropped.

The Pie Man
06-09-2021, 03:52 PM
I'm gonna prefer to be glass half full and go a good to go Bont is a huge relief. We can win without Cody... I'm not so sure about that if Bont misses.

We drew even in the 2nd half without Cody…but he is a big loss.

Assuming JJ is straight in, is it out of Richards, Garcia & Scott for the sub?

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2021, 03:53 PM
The new concussion rule gives an extra legup to the top 4 teams who win week 1. Any concussions would be available for the prelim and the teams they play have an extra game to lose someone. I’m fine with giving those team an extra advantage but it shows what we’ve blown by losing a top 4 spot.

But like 2016, one out one in. JJ/Richards/Wally. Time to step up. We’re gonna need our mids to kick a few.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 04:06 PM
In JJ
Out Cody
Medical Sub: Wally

josie
06-09-2021, 04:44 PM
If he is fit I’d love to see Richards in side or as sub.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 04:48 PM
If he is fit I’d love to see Richards in side or as sub.

If Richards comes in, his best position is HBF, but who does he displace there?

Ozza
06-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Given there's no structural damage I'd like someone to try and stop him playing.

Yeah he's clearly playing....if he was in any doubt the messaging would be as conservative as possible until as late as possible.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2021, 04:53 PM
My guess
In- JJ
Out- Cody
Sub: Scott

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 05:24 PM
JJ showed some good inside grunt in the game.
I saw Bevo encouraging him on the bench, and his tail looks up.
Happy to have him in.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2021, 05:33 PM
JJ showed some good inside grunt in the game.
I saw Bevo encouraging him on the bench, and his tail looks up.
Happy to have him in.

Yeah his vibe before he came on looked good. Not passive. We need that again this week.

The Doctor
06-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Could Rhylee West be the one to come in for Weightman?

He was an emg for the first final.

DOG GOD
06-09-2021, 05:36 PM
No Cody and Bont on 1 leg.
The hill just became a mountain

Mantis
06-09-2021, 05:44 PM
No Cody and Bont on 1 leg.
The hill just became a mountain

Not sure where it said Bont will be on 1 leg?

There was an injury cloud on Caleb coming into the Brisbane game and he was in our best handful of players so not sure we get all dramatic just yet.

DOG GOD
06-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Not sure where it said Bont will be on 1 leg?

There was an injury cloud on Caleb coming into the Brisbane game and he was in our best handful of players so not sure we get all dramatic just yet.

It hasn’t said he will be on 1 leg. But you know that ;)
That’s me thinking the worse.
I guess IF Bont runs out we shall all see for ourselves.

Mofra
06-09-2021, 05:59 PM
It's a prelim. Bont would probably play through a cremation.
Treloar gets a chance to make amends. Really tempted to bring Cordy in as I'm not sure I'm confident with Williams or Wood against Georgiades.
I suspect Cordy gets named as medical sub and there's no change. Young may even get a chance to go back if Port get off the chain with Bont becoming a KPF.

It's Bevo though. For all we know Westy and JUH get named.

DOG GOD
06-09-2021, 06:01 PM
I really hope Georgiades doesn’t play. His marking could prove hard to handle and he’s normally a pretty good kick. I certainly don’t want him playing ahead of Marshall.

bornadog
06-09-2021, 06:03 PM
I really hope Georgiades doesn’t play. His marking could prove hard to handle and he’s normally a pretty good kick. I certainly don’t want him playing ahead of Marshall.

Port youngster in the frame for prelim clash after successful SANFL return (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674220/port-adelaides-mitch-georgiades-presses-for-senior-recall-after-successful-sanfl-return)

DOG GOD
06-09-2021, 06:10 PM
Port youngster in the frame for prelim clash after successful SANFL return (https://www.afl.com.au/news/674220/port-adelaides-mitch-georgiades-presses-for-senior-recall-after-successful-sanfl-return)

Hmm, well I’m guessing he will be playing then. Damn.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Was it Bonts left or right leg that got hurt?

bornadog
06-09-2021, 06:19 PM
Was it Bonts left or right leg that got hurt?

Pretty sure it was right

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2021, 06:21 PM
Pretty sure it was right

Damn. At least with the left his kicking wouldn’t be as affected.

jeemak
06-09-2021, 06:53 PM
I think it's fantastic the Port guys get to have a run in the SANFL when ours can't get a game if not picked in the firsts. Just another sign that the VFL bias in the AFL is alive and well, right?

DOG GOD
06-09-2021, 07:04 PM
I think it's fantastic the Port guys get to have a run in the SANFL when ours can't get a game if not picked in the firsts. Just another sign that the VFL bias in the AFL is alive and well, right?

Everything is set up for a big port win. 2 home finals, players in the SANFL, pretty much NO travel since round 23.
With all this in their favour, it would be a massive failure to their fans if they don’t win.

EasternWest
06-09-2021, 07:20 PM
Everything is set up for a big port win.

Well we best rain on their parade then.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2021, 07:53 PM
Well we best rain on their parade then.

The best thing for tightrope walkers is to learn when the net is taken away, so a documentary I was watching said. Their concentration they say becomes laser focussed because there is absolutely no margin for error. Sounds like that’s what it is for Dunks, Treloar and a few others who have many others to fall back on. ‘Others’ might not be enough to get it done. So don’t look down, look forward. There is no net. There is no spoon. Sounds off like you got a pair in the huddle after the anthem and fight like you want to be a premiership player. *!*!*!*! everything in the *!*!*!*!ing ear. Your destiny is determined by your collective hard work and taking your chances. There’s enough raw talent to take down Port. We took down Brisbane in their cauldron with little KPF impact and gun players well down. We can and will improve. We will win. We will get Cody back for the Granny, our mids will get rested up, Bonts will Brownlow/Norm Smith and we will #DoItForBruce

jeemak
06-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Yep, let's win this week and make their lives miserable.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Yep, let's win this week and make their lives miserable.

Including Ch7 who will be barracking for Port. Us vs The World. The World can *!*!*!*! itself.

josie
06-09-2021, 09:11 PM
If Richards comes in, his best position is HBF, but who does he displace there?

I just love his clean handling, dash & marking ability - in the few games he had this year I thought his marking looked really good. Read today somewhere he might still recovering from a shoulder injury so doubt he will be selected. And yeah - we have a settled defence so doubt he comes in even. Bevo does creative moves though - could he move Daniel forward & squeeze Richards in? Perhaps we’d lose too much with Daniel’s clever disposal in back half (some of those kicks outs on Saturday were sublime), but then again Richards is taller.

Another thought I had was that Rourke is a solid mark & seemingly decent set shot goal kick - albeit I’m judging the latter from somewhat limited exposure. Could he replace Cody? No doubt Roarke’s pressure would be good enough. But then again we’d be robbing team of his role to suppress one of Port’s ball magnets. Just spitballing really…..

soupman
06-09-2021, 10:41 PM
I would be happy with JJ staying in for Weightman. JUH is the closest we have to offering what Weightman does offensively but we clearly will not lay him. Would also be happy with Scott, McNeill or Garcia as they all offer good pressure but JJ is the incumbent and played decent so stays in.

Happy with Young to continue, he isn't offering a heap but we have no other options and I'd prefer we continue with the two ruck setup. Not interested in playing Sweet at all. Don't hate the Cordy forward/ruck idea but prefer Young.

Richards I think will be sub, we really rate him and he has played a bit everywhere, so a good option.

Wouldn't pick Wallis, we haven't been interested in him all season so why would we be now?

MrMahatma
06-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Martin in and Young as sub? Any chance?

I’d be worried about Scott coming in. We lose Cody’s clean set shot and we need to replace it.

Left field - bring in Ed and play Bailey Dale forward? Won’t happen…

I’d say we’ll bring in Garcia as Sub, JJ comes in, and no other changes.

Edit: Just saw Ruck stats from the weekend and how better English performed in the 2nd half and how it impacted clearances. Maybe it’s a forward we need to bring in, and drop Young. I’m sure we’d all love JUH out there in a prelim! Another that won’t happen though…

The Doctor
07-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Martin in and Young as sub? Any chance?

Martin for Young

Wallis sub

Martin isn’t playing again this year.

Martin could be a chance according to this article.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-news-2021-mitch-wallis-future-free-agency-departing-western-bulldogs-which-clubs-are-interested-out-of-contract-suitors-trade-whispers-rumours-gold-coast-suns/news-story/98a8726cabcbe032cf89d4b0f72f888f

In other Dogs news, Stefan Martin is firming to play after a solid training session in Tasmania on Saturday with teammates who weren’t selected for the semi-final.

In Martin’s favour is the fact Lewis Young notched just 53 per cent game time against the Lions.

The veteran ruckman, who has not been seen at senior level since Round 12, was considered underdone earlier in the finals as he returned from injury.

He played a scratch match on the morning of August 21, the day after Beveridge lamented his ruck stocks in a two-point loss to Port Adelaide

Three weeks on, Martin’s name remains at the forefront of selection discussions as Beveridge seeks to reverse the Round 23 result against Ken Hinkley‘s men.

azabob
07-09-2021, 08:46 AM
I think it is fairly clear that Bontempelli will play but won't be 100% fit.

If Bontempelli was 100% fit, I think we'd seriously consider rolling the Stef Martin dice, but now we can't, we need to be conservative with our ruck setup and stick with English and Young.

All in all, if it was round 21 I'd bring in Ed Richards for Roarke Smith but unfortunately for Richards it isn't and lack of competitive football has hurt him and our other players currently not playing.

I think the sub will come from Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Anthony Scott, Mitch Wallis or Johannisen

For mine Johannisen IN for Weightman and Anthony Scott as the sub. Scott is more versatile than our other options.

Bontempelli to play forward and Beveridge to put his arm around Treloar and back him in to play in the middle all game. .

#WeGotThis
#BeMoreBulldog

azabob
07-09-2021, 08:47 AM

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-news-2021-mitch-wallis-future-free-agency-departing-western-bulldogs-which-clubs-are-interested-out-of-contract-suitors-trade-whispers-rumours-gold-coast-suns/news-story/98a8726cabcbe032cf89d4b0f72f888f

In other Dogs news, Stefan Martin is firming to play after a solid training session in Tasmania on Saturday with teammates who weren’t selected for the semi-final.

Two underdone players - no thanks.

We can't risk playing both Martin and Bontempelli.

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2021, 08:57 AM
BR are you still drunk?

I just don’t see it. If he were an experienced player who we knew what their best footy was sure, but hes inexperienced and just doesn’t game sense, plus he’s rusty after a long layoff

Interesting to hear about his running but I’d be bringing Cordy and Richards in

The Doctor
07-09-2021, 09:07 AM

If Bontempelli was 100% fit, I think we'd seriously consider rolling the Stef Martin dice, but now we can't, we need to be conservative with our ruck setup and stick with English and Young.

They would only consider Martin if he is 100% right to go.

Bont to full forward in Josh Bruce's role if he is still a bit ginger could work for sure. They would have to put their best defender on him. He 'd still be good enough to snag a couple of goals. Naughton and Schache also up forward with English in the ruck assuming Martin is not selected..

It's then a question of what to do with Lewis. In this scenario I'd bring in a smaller more mobile player with Schache relieving English. This would bring Richards, Garcia, Scott or even West up for consideration.

A midfield of MaCrae, Libba, B.Smith, Treloar, Dunks is good enough to beat Ports midfield.

Stefcep
07-09-2021, 09:17 AM
I think we need to turn this into a defensive slog. It can't be a shoot out.

Beveridge needs to tag one or two of their prime movers in Boak Wines or Gray

Collectively tackles need to stick more than they did against the lions too or else this could blow out.

Stefcep
07-09-2021, 09:20 AM

They would only consider Martin if he is 100% right to go.

Bont to full forward in Josh Bruce's role if he is still a bit ginger could work for sure. They would have to put their best defender on him. He 'd still be good enough to snag a couple of goals. Naughton and Schache also up forward with English in the ruck assuming Martin is not selected..

It's then a question of what to do with Lewis. In this scenario I'd bring in a smaller more mobile player with Schache relieving English. This would bring Richards, Garcia, Scott or even West up for consideration.

A midfield of MaCrae, Libba, B.Smith, Treloar, Dunks is good enough to beat Ports midfield.
I still think we need to sacrifice a tag on Wines or Boak, possibly Dunkley.

MrMahatma
07-09-2021, 09:23 AM

In Martin’s favour is the fact Lewis Young notched just 53 per cent game time against the Lions.

The veteran ruckman, who has not been seen at senior level since Round 12, was considered underdone earlier in the finals as he returned from injury.

He played a scratch match on the morning of August 21, the day after Beveridge lamented his ruck stocks in a two-point loss to Port Adelaide

Three weeks on, Martin’s name remains at the forefront of selection discussions as Beveridge seeks to reverse the Round 23 result against Ken Hinkley‘s men.

So are we better off with 53% game time of Young or 53% of Stef?

And presumably Young had 53% cause he wasn’t playing well enough, where as Stef COULD maybe give us more like 65% even if not fully fit?

It’s certainly a chance and I think a risk worth taking. If we go OK in the ruck, we win.

mjp
07-09-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm going to training this morning so will try and find time to do a report afterwards...

They are training at 10am Perth time today and Thursday...

dog town
07-09-2021, 09:43 AM

Would be a big boost but everything else we have heard has him as no chance. If he is close it would be very tempting as we played our hand with Allir in round 23, we wanted English forward at all times to try and force him to take either English or Naughton.

Mofra
07-09-2021, 09:48 AM
I can't imagine any team in the competition not putting their best defender on Naughton. I assume at Port that's Jonas who has had a very good year.

I think we have to find a way to get English forward as much as possible. Their other talls are Aliir who often tries to take the 4th or 5th forward and intercept, and Trent McKenzie is is very undersized and would probably take Schache.

Bont forward could work as Ports' defence is tight but would give us the best chance of stoppage goals.

Our backs need to get some bastard into them as if you belt Motlop early he doesn't want to go near it.

dog town
07-09-2021, 10:01 AM
I think we need to turn this into a defensive slog. It can't be a shoot out.

Beveridge needs to tag one or two of their prime movers in Boak Wines or Gray

Collectively tackles need to stick more than they did against the lions too or else this could blow out.

If you look at the previous games we have kept them to low scores. They won’t get through the corridor like Brisbane did, not on this ground. They scored 77 in round 9 with most scores in 2 bursts and 63 in round 23 with only 6 goals up until the last ten minutes.

We can hold them if we don’t give up goals on turnover (Geelong had terrible ball security under pressure of a final) and we don’t give up goals from centre bounce. Get territory and make them move the ball against us.

The thing Port have done well a few times against us is taking the sting out of the game when we are on top. I think if we are on we can put hunt them which gets our runners going but every time this has happened including 2020 they have then chipped it around and taken the sting out of it. Can they do that with the pressure of a final and the adrenaline of a home crowd behind them?

comrade
07-09-2021, 10:04 AM
I'm going to training this morning so will try and find time to do a report afterwards...

They are training at 10am Perth time today and Thursday...

Would be keen to know how Stef is moving and if there are any indications he might be a sneaky consideration. Very doubtful, but Young playing 50% game time has me thinking.

1eyedog
07-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Gee Treloar is copping it in the meeja isn't he.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Some of his efforts are pretty poor viewing.

Somethings not right. Doesn’t seem like the type to spit the dummy because he’s not playing centre bounces. He needs a rev up because he’ll be a huge factor if we go all the way or not.

There’s a baseless rumour floating around that his partner wants to move to QLD permanently. Could just be that he can’t see his family and hold his kid despite being 10m away. Who knows.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-09-2021, 10:32 AM

Yeah he is... hope it revs him up.
He was super poor on Saturday, but some of the assumptions typical headline grabber Kane Cornes are just woeful.... 'He's sooking because he's being played out of position'. How the heck would he have any insight into that?

jeemak
07-09-2021, 10:45 AM
I just don’t see it. If he were an experienced player who we knew what their best footy was sure, but hes inexperienced and just doesn’t game sense, plus he’s rusty after a long layoff

Interesting to hear about his running but I’d be bringing Cordy and Richards in

Cordy pulls large KMs and plays full games as well.

I think they genuinely like Gardner for his other athletic attributes.

Mantis
07-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Cordy pulls large KMs and plays full games as well.

I think they genuinely like Gardner for his other athletic attributes.

Both are pretty limited players, but I think there's 1 or 2 occasions per game where Cordy gets out-marked where I feel Gardner wouldn't based on Ryan's ability to cover the ground better.

Cordy did have probably his best game of the season against Port earlier in the season, but lost a couple of critical 1 on 1's in Rd 23 which has he thinking Gardner is in front.

dog town
07-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Both are pretty limited players, but I think there's 1 or 2 occasions per game where Cordy gets out-marked where I feel Gardner wouldn't based on Ryan's ability to cover the ground better.

Cordy did have probably his best game of the season against Port earlier in the season, but lost a couple of critical 1 on 1's in Rd 23 which has he thinking Gardner is in front.
The easy hit up marks Cordy concedes is the advantage Gardner has. I also think Gardner is exceptional at not letting the ball get over the back and has great timing and direction on his spoils. Will be critical this week and unfortunately that is also a weakness for Cordy, constantly let’s the ball get over the back.

Mantis
07-09-2021, 11:14 AM
The easy hit up marks Cordy concedes is the advantage Gardner has. I also think Gardner is exceptional at not letting the ball get over the back and has great timing and direction on his spoils. Will be critical this week and unfortunately that is also a weakness for Cordy, constantly let’s the ball get over the back.

Yep.. the mark & goal Ladhams produced on Cordy in Rd.23 isn't conceded if Gardner is playing. You just can't allow those goals to occur and Cordy allows a couple a game which kill you in close contests.

josie
07-09-2021, 11:35 AM
I’m worried as Bont has been great helping in defence last few weeks to detriment of his own around ground play. Presume if injured he plays more forward so we lose that backup. Then again it does help our forward line. Just hope he has his kicking boots on.

The Pie Man
07-09-2021, 11:37 AM
Play Stef

If Young only played half the game on Saturday, then that whole can’t run the game out thing….

Play him

jeemak
07-09-2021, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking we need to go all out and play Stef if he's fit. We can worry about what we'll do in the Grand Final if and when we get there. After all, there's a two week recovery window on the table so he could back it up.

Preliminary finals are ridiculously hard to win, you can't leave anything on the table.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2021, 11:53 AM
I’ve said it before, but I think there’s two types of struggles to run out a game:

1/ unable to play more than 60% TOG
2/ unable to do basic repeated efforts over a 8-10 min spell

If Stef can’t do the latter, he just can’t play. If he can and he is capped at 60% TOG, then I’d have him ahead of Lewy.

Mantis
07-09-2021, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking we need to go all out and play Stef if he's fit. We can worry about what we'll do in the Grand Final if and when we get there. After all, there's a two week recovery window on the table so he could back it up.

Preliminary finals are ridiculously hard to win, you can't leave anything on the table.

The only way we can play Stef is if Young is the sub... we can't be caught without cover if he can't run.

Happy Days
07-09-2021, 12:00 PM
The only way we can play Stef is if Young is the sub... we can't be caught without cover if he can't run.

Yep agree. I honestly think that in this iteration of the sub and the somehow still standing handshake agreement to not use it unless a real injury occurs that having a tall in the role is not the worst option.

jeemak
07-09-2021, 12:08 PM

Not sure I agree.

If we think Bont is going to struggle a bit to play enough midfield minutes then we roll Treloar up into his preferred position, play Bont forward and have Schache and English helping Stef in the ruck as required.

If we lose Stef we go with English, Schache and Hannan rotating through the ruck. If we don't lose Stef and end up having to Bring Young in to replace a runner then we're stuck with too many talls and our rotations suffer.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2021, 12:10 PM
If Schache/English is told to take the F50 ruck contests (hoping just to halve them), leaving Stef with 60% game time on CBAs, wings & D50 ruck contests. How much would that save Stef in terms on running? A material difference?

Can he rest forward, or is that an invitation to run off him?

dog town
07-09-2021, 12:42 PM
If Schache/English is told to take the F50 ruck contests (hoping just to halve them), leaving Stef with 60% game time on CBAs, wings & D50 ruck contests. How much would that save Stef in terms on running? A material difference?

Can he rest forward, or is that an invitation to run off him? He can’t rest forward in my view and we will likely prefer to hold our forwards for any ruck contests a kick plus away from goal. If you use a forward to ruck you are inviting a spare behind the footy.

azabob
07-09-2021, 01:09 PM

They are ridiculously hard to win.

Carrying two players who won't be 90% fit in Martin and Bont will be a massive massive risk.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2021, 01:23 PM
He can’t rest forward in my view and we will likely prefer to hold our forwards for any ruck contests a kick plus away from goal. If you use a forward to ruck you are inviting a spare behind the footy.

Carrying two players who won't be 90% fit in Martin and Bont will be a massive massive risk.

Since Round 7, Martin has played 1.5 quarters of AFL footy. It is a hell of a gamble to play him. If we can’t manage his workload then it’s hard to see it happening. Young ain’t a ruck, but if can go into defence if needed. I wish there was an easier answer, but stick with The Hybrids and hope for the best.

Win or lose, younger fit First Rucks looking to play in finals should be seeing us as a great opportunity.

jeemak
07-09-2021, 01:24 PM

I'd be surprised if we're not already carrying blokes who are only around 90%, same as the other teams.

The adage that you don't play injured players in finals is bullshit. You just don't tell anyone about it until after they're done with.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2021, 01:26 PM
I'd be surprised if we're not already carrying blokes who are only around 90%, same as the other teams.

The adage that you don't play injured players in finals is bullshit. You just don't tell anyone about it until after they're done with.

What about playing with a broken back?

Mantis
07-09-2021, 01:32 PM

How fit do you think Daniel was on Saturday night?

kruder
07-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Is Will Minson still on the list?

Rocco Jones
07-09-2021, 01:59 PM
He can’t rest forward in my view and we will likely prefer to hold our forwards for any ruck contests a kick plus away from goal. If you use a forward to ruck you are inviting a spare behind the footy.

Yeah he if he plays, he rests on the bench.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2021, 02:00 PM
Thing with Lewy this week, if we can go a bit more defensive with a narrow ground/Port being tall up forward. Lewy can go down back as an extra tall when not in the ruck.

kruder
07-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Thing with Lewy this week, if we can go a bit more defensive with a narrow ground/Port being tall up forward. Lewy can go down back as an extra tall when not in the ruck.

Yeah, we need some way to strengthen our intercept game it will be vital against the Port smalls.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Yeah, we need some way to strengthen our intercept game it will be vital against the Port smalls.

I am concerned about Wood finding a role vs Port. They have a lot of guys who are really good at either doing tall or small type things.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Kane Cornes tutt-tutting Trelor's body language. But actually he has a point with the last chase....

https://youtu.be/c7uaZayMFNY

Danjul
07-09-2021, 02:19 PM
Since Round 7, Martin has played 1.5 quarters of AFL footy. It is a hell of a gamble to play him. If we can’t manage his workload then it’s hard to see it happening. Young ain’t a ruck, but if can go into defence if needed. I wish there was an easier answer, but stick with The Hybrids and hope for the best.

Win or lose, younger fit First Rucks looking to play in finals should be seeing us as a great opportunity.

And he wasn’t that good when he played.

All he did was prove our ruck understanding had been diabolical for years.

azabob
07-09-2021, 02:25 PM
How fit do you think Daniel was on Saturday night?

93.2%.

In all seriousness can we compare Daniel and Martin?

Martin plays a physical position and is required to cover ground and has been underdone all season by the first few rounds.

If Bont wasn't under an injury cloud I would risk it for the biscuit and play Martin.

azabob
07-09-2021, 02:26 PM
I am concerned about Wood finding a role vs Port. They have a lot of guys who are really good at either doing tall or small type things.

I think he'd play on Todd Marshall.

Mantis
07-09-2021, 02:41 PM
I think he'd play on Todd Marshall.

I would think Marshall will be omitted for the return of Georgiades.

dog town
07-09-2021, 02:41 PM
If Bont is ok to go I would think you consider him 100% in terms of his ability to run out the game. He will either have pills or a jab plus the adrenaline of the game. He may be a touch slower but he will be able to defend and run. If he makes it worse then I imagine he gets subbed out.

azabob
07-09-2021, 02:56 PM

I would do that also, but apparently the like Marshall's defensive efforts.

MrMahatma
07-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Kane Cornes tutt-tutting Trelor's body language. But actually he has a point with the last chase....

It looks bad, but they also cut the vision off half a second early where Ads actually comes back into screen and almost smothers.

No doubt, Ads had some strange body language and just didn't seem to push as hard as he normally does with pressure on a few occasions. He needs to be better than that. The media are just loving it cause he's a big name who had an off day.

He'll get back to basics on the weekend and light it up!

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Hoping this all works to our favour in that it really propels Ads to put in a blinder.

DOG GOD
07-09-2021, 03:52 PM

If they have any sense he will. I know who I’d rather be playing against.

jeemak
07-09-2021, 03:56 PM
How's the bullshit in that vid when it comes to English. They can't help themselves.

Mantis
07-09-2021, 04:40 PM
How's the bullshit in that vid when it comes to English. They can't help themselves.

Lloydy must have watched a different game to me (us) in Rd23 as English played predominately as a forward and it was Young with help from Hannan & Bont (much to our joy) who battled against Lycett.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2021, 05:33 PM
Some in the media said we would be nuts not to test the rules re: Cody.
Bont to full forward/CHF if compromised with the peg.
Treloar in the guts.
Dunkley to protect whoever is tagged by steamrolling tagger amongst normal duties.

hujsh
07-09-2021, 05:52 PM

I was filthy with that effort Saturday

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Me too. Dropped his head.
However it does not matter cos we won and he has a chance to reflect after being exposed by media and is a star as well as a human being.

kruder
07-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Tom Morris going with Stef Martin a chance to return.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2021, 08:29 PM

Sulking because he can't play midfield? Surely there is more to it than that.
I'd be proud to be the orange boy of the Western Bulldogs, let alone step over the white line.

EasternWest
07-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Tom Morris going with Stef Martin a chance to return.

Well that's it. Martin definitely not playing.

kruder
07-09-2021, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;760353]Well that's it. Martin definitely not playing.[/QUOTE

Id be looking at all options to replace Young, wouldn’t surprise me at all.

hujsh
07-09-2021, 09:41 PM
Sulking because he can't play midfield? Surely there is more to it than that.
I'd be proud to be the orange boy of the Western Bulldogs, let alone step over the white line.

I just meant that that specific half hearted chase and surrender in the forward line that was highlighted made me furious. Terrible effort.

I'm not claiming he's sooking, I wouldn't know

jeemak
07-09-2021, 09:55 PM
I just meant that that specific half hearted chase and surrender in the forward line that was highlighted made me furious. Terrible effort.

Yeah there were two instances where he had clearly anticipated/ chosen the incorrect line to attack the contest and had an opportunity to adjust and stay in it but chose to drop the shoulders and follow through, and not get back in there.

Not a hanging offence but clear as day. Why he did it I don't know, but he did it, it wasn't good enough and he will hopefully not do it again.

However, most the of commentary is focusing on those instances and his low possession count which is OK, but it's also unbalanced given the pressure acts and tackles he notched up which were elite for someone who isn't sooking let alone someone who apparently is.

The media has been dreadful to us and I really hope we stick it to them in the coming weeks. And then if we do we rub it in their faces.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2021, 10:10 PM

Good point
Let's just say he's not happy about something then. They made that claim on the show, but as you say, who knows. They did have plenty of evidence. Not a Kane Corn fan so hopefully Adam has a blinder this week.

jeemak
07-09-2021, 10:14 PM
Good point
Let's just say he's not happy about something then. They made that claim on the show, but as you say, who knows. They did have plenty of evidence. Not a Kane Corn fan so hopefully Adam has a blinder this week.

What is a blinder?

Danjul
07-09-2021, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;760353]Well that's it. Martin definitely not playing.[/QUOTE

Id be looking at all options to replace Young, wouldn’t surprise me at all.
A bit harsh. Against Port a few weeks ago he played very well. He’s not a ruckman but he shouldered that responsibility and still got 14 good possessions. Look at the stats for the others, you will be surprised.

Raw Toast
07-09-2021, 10:42 PM

However, most the of commentary is focusing on those instances and his low possession count which is OK, but it's also unbalanced given the pressure acts and tackles he notched up which were elite for someone who isn't sooking let alone someone who apparently is.

Found myself nodding along to both of these comments.

There's some ugly vision from Treloar that has been highlighted, but also very selective focus. He was clearly struggling at times*, but also had some great pressure acts as well as Jeemak notes.

For me the most critical part of the 3rd quarter was after the Lions kicked away to a 3 goal lead. With 4 minutes to go we were in a heap of trouble. Then Yorkshire has a great ruck contest with a vital second effort to tap the ball forward. Libba soccers it off the ground, and Rich has the ball basically marked before a desperate Treloar knocks it out of his hands. Baz scoops it up, handpasses immediately to Macrea who gives it to JJ who slots it from 50. And we're back to a 2 goal deficit.

Just a small moment from Treloar, but a crucial one where his desperation mattered.

He had some great pressure acts in the last as well, including the tackle that should've helped ice the game but Baz played on when he shouldn't have...

Obviously we want him to be better, and hopefully he can help drive us to victory on Saturday night. But it's not like his game was just disastrous, even though there were some ordinary moments.

Our footy media would be so much more interesting if they showed the good as well as the bad rather than going with the easy narrative and all the outrage that fosters.

*Is Treloar's partner still in Brisbane with their kid? If so, I imagine it might have been particularly difficult to go to the same city but have limited (if any) proper contact due to quarantine rules...

1eyedog
07-09-2021, 10:43 PM
Hoping this all works to our favour in that it really propels Ads to put in a blinder.

Treloar midfield Bont forward. Treloar really should be tearing games to shreds.

bornadog
07-09-2021, 11:45 PM
What is a blinder?

Google it

jeemak
08-09-2021, 12:03 AM
Google it

Thanks papa.

Happy Days
08-09-2021, 12:11 AM
Man Google need to be taken to the ACCC for that ad. Seeing that ad hungover is emotional terrorism.

jeemak
08-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Man Google need to be taken to the ACCC for that ad. Seeing that ad hungover is emotional terrorism.

Hahahaha, the best bit is the original poster I responded to is based O/S so he has no idea about the trigger content he's unleashed on us all.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2021, 01:30 AM
Sorry for that. I have no idea what else blinder could mean other than ‘tearing it apart’.
an excellent performance at some activity, especially in sport: - Cambridge

angelopetraglia
08-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Mitch Cleary Luke Beveridge said Stefan Martin was a “break glass in case of emergency” option two weeks ago. Now the 34yo is firming for a shock recall in Saturday night’s preliminary final.

MrMahatma
08-09-2021, 09:57 AM
Mitch Cleary Luke Beveridge said Stefan Martin was a “break glass in case of emergency” option two weeks ago. Now the 34yo is firming for a shock recall in Saturday night’s preliminary final.

If he plays and is fit, we win.

bornadog
08-09-2021, 09:57 AM
Sorry for that. I have no idea what else blinder could mean other than ‘tearing it apart’.
an excellent performance at some activity, especially in sport: - Cambridge

Sorry Gd you missed the joke. (understandable).

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsd1bvd-HQ&ab_channel=GoogleAustralia

hujsh
08-09-2021, 10:15 AM
I've heard Bont is missing this week with a PCL strain. Terrible news if true.

Person who told me didn't say where it's from just that it's 'confidential' so take that under advisement

Mantis
08-09-2021, 10:18 AM
I've heard Bont is missing this week with a PCL strain. Terrible news if true.

Person who told me didn't say where it's from just that it's 'confidential' so take that under advisement

Club say no structural damage.... Bont was kicking the footy yesterday at training.

With all respect I'm not buying your confidential info.

azabob
08-09-2021, 10:53 AM
*Is Treloar's partner still in Brisbane with their kid? If so, I imagine it might have been particularly difficult to go to the same city but have limited (if any) proper contact due to quarantine rules...

Kimmy was interviewed on RSN breakfast club this morning and she confirmed they are in Brisbane and currently working through the process to get to Adelaide which hopefully will be straight forward.

1eyedog
08-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Club say no structural damage.... Bont was kicking the footy yesterday at training.

If Bont's missing he ain't on the track.

Happy Days
08-09-2021, 10:58 AM
The club posted a photo of Bont training. As far as I’m concerned that’s a verbal contract he legally has to play now.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2021, 11:25 AM

Yeah, if it was so clear that he wouldn't play, the club would announce it now so that the focus could quickly turn to planning without him.

He'll be playing.

Topdog
08-09-2021, 12:00 PM
Bont will play on 1 leg if necessary.

1eyedog
08-09-2021, 12:05 PM
https://scontent.fmel7-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/240589135_10159298891879360_6063637705580472405_n.jpg?_nc_ca t=109&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=nM5TnV0hxSMAX9NMlSI&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel7-1.fna&oh=8bb6a7ecfd14372678b20c34c990fc82&oe=615C4CBA

bornadog
08-09-2021, 12:09 PM
https://scontent.fmel7-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/240589135_10159298891879360_6063637705580472405_n.jpg?_nc_ca t=109&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=nM5TnV0hxSMAX9NMlSI&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel7-1.fna&oh=8bb6a7ecfd14372678b20c34c990fc82&oe=615C4CBA

Mitch Cleary reporting Steph is more and more likely to play.

comrade
08-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Love it.

Dogs selection antics are just pure meme fodder.

Vred
08-09-2021, 12:21 PM

We have literally nothing to lose.
Lose this game, seasons over, Martin retires
Win this game, onto the GF, re-evaluate next week.

chef
08-09-2021, 12:21 PM
I'm all in on the Martin hail mary. We cant have our rucks being destroyed like last week if we want any chance of winning.

Got to risk it to get the biscuit.

bornadog
08-09-2021, 12:25 PM
From Fox Footy

WESTERN BULLDOGS ruckman Stefan Martin is “absolutely in the mix” to face Port Adelaide this weekend, according to senior foxfooty.com.au reporter Tom Morris.

Martin has played just seven games for the Dogs this season, with his most recent match in Round 12 when he was subbed out against Fremantle with a shoulder injury.

Since that game, Martin has been hampered by persistent hip and groin issues.

The day after the Bulldogs lost to Port Adelaide by two points in Round 23, Martin played well in a scratch match, emerging from his 90 minutes of game time unscathed.

Speaking on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight, Morris said Martin was “a very good chance” to face the Power in Saturday night’s elimination final.

“Stefan Martin hasn’t played for quite some time, but he is a chance to play this weekend. I’m told that he’s absolutely in the mix as he recovers from this injury,” Morris told AFL Tonight.

“One of the criticisms from Luke Beveridge towards his team in the press conference after that Port Adelaide game was the ruck division. It was Lewis Young, it was Tim English – they got belted by the Port Adelaide ruckmen.

“They’re playing Port Adelaide again with the same ruck division, so there’s no doubt that Stefan Martin is in the mix to play. Lewis Young had 53 per cent game time last weekend, it might be Stefan Martin’s last year in the AFL system, but he is fit to play.

“He had a big training session in Tasmania with other players who didn’t play in the semi-final on the weekend and he got through that OK. He’s now in Perth with the team.”

The Dogs have been reluctant this season to re-call young ruckman Jordon Sweet, who hasn’t played an AFL game since May.

Superstar skipper Marcus Bontempelli remains a test for Saturday night’s game after his late-game knee scare against the Lions.

The Bulldogs will have to find a replacement for small forward Cody Weightman, who’s been ruled out due to concussion. Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen, who was subbed in for Weightman against Brisbane, is the leading candidate to move into the starting 22, while emergencies Anthony Scott and Mitch Wallis would also be considered.

comrade
08-09-2021, 12:32 PM
There are pros and cons to Stef playing. I remember back to that Richmond game when his achilles was cooked and Nankervis just worked him over. In all the snippets of footage I've seen of him training, he looks like he's shuffling rather than running.

Would be a huge call to play him when the best we'll get at most is likely some neutralisation in the ruck and at worst, he gets trounced around the ground with Lycett running amok. If he does play and that happens, I hope we're smart and just sub him out.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2021, 12:35 PM
There are pros and cons to Stef playing. I remember back to that Richmond game when his achilles was cooked and Nankervis just worked him over. In all the snippets of footage I've seen of him training, he looks like he's shuffling rather than running.

Would be a huge call to play him when the best we'll get at most is likely some neutralisation in the ruck and at worst, he gets trounced around the ground with Lycett running amok. If he does play and that happens, I hope we're smart and just sub him out.

The game changer with Stef for mine is Lewy only playing 53% TOG and 5 minutes in the last quarter. Means running out the game for the team becomes less of a factor.

comrade
08-09-2021, 12:37 PM
The game changer with Stef for mine is Lewy only playing 53% TOG and 5 minutes in the last quarter. Means running out the game for the team becomes less of a factor.

Would be an interesting ploy if we go with Stef, unleash him for a half to try and gain an edge by HT and then sub him out for fresh legs and let English take over in the 2nd half. Would be ballsy and probably against the spirit of the rule, but maybe we just go *!*!*!*! it, it's a prelim!

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2021, 12:39 PM
The club posted a photo of Bont training. As far as I’m concerned that’s a verbal contract he legally has to play now.

Is it still a verbal contract when it is just pictures;)

comrade
08-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Would be an interesting ploy if we go with Stef, unleash him for a half to try and gain an edge by HT and then sub him out for fresh legs and let English take over in the 2nd half. Would be ballsy and probably against the spirit of the rule, but maybe we just go *!*!*!*! it, it's a prelim!

As an aside, the outcry from opposition fans if we did this and won would be hilarious.

Happy Days
08-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Is it still a verbal contract when it is just pictures;)

Yes - pictures are worth hundreds if not thousands of words.

angelopetraglia
08-09-2021, 12:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-ub_qJVUAIUy6z?format=jpg&name=medium

MrMahatma
08-09-2021, 12:53 PM

Based on?

Vred
08-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Mark Rucciuto stating Bont has a corked calf more than a knee issue, that they checked his knee just to be sure.

Jeanette54
08-09-2021, 01:06 PM
There are pros and cons to Stef playing.

Could Stef do a "Mummy" ? Poor old Shane did his level best in the semi for GWS, He gave them his best, and was far from their worst player, and was clearly the best option for his position.

Get real, bring Stef in, and make Lewis Young the medi-sub. If we can get half a game with Stef, Tim and Lewis can handle the other half. Having Lewis as a sub also covers a KPF or KPD tall going down, really important against PA. So its a bonus if Stef can play out the game.

So for me its

Out: Weightman, Young.
In: Martin, JJ, and Marra, Scott or McNeil (if Bont can't play)

Medi-sub: Young

angelopetraglia
08-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Based on?

Good question. Chinese whispers most probably.

Happy Days
08-09-2021, 01:21 PM
To be fair Ricciuto thinks the calf is located in the upper leg so not sure this really changes anything.

hujsh
08-09-2021, 01:38 PM

Yeah as I said I don't even know the source. This person who told me believes it's true but I'll believe it when I see it myself

Go_Dogs
08-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Mark Rucciuto stating Bont has a corked calf more than a knee issue, that they checked his knee just to be sure.

An excellent ploy to make Port think he’s underdone and prepare to stop another midfielder. Bont strategically also kicked 0.3 and one rushed over the line to ensure this week he bags 4 straight. Genius.

SquirrelGrip
08-09-2021, 01:54 PM

If Dr Roo says so, it must be true....

https://i.postimg.cc/vHyYhwWG/Dr-Roo.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0rt153W4)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2021, 02:19 PM

You're walking in, and straight out of the Dr's room if that's what confronts you when you get through the door..

Dry Rot
08-09-2021, 02:38 PM

A nasty surprise when you go for your next prostate check...

1eyedog
08-09-2021, 05:33 PM
Based on?

I heard the same from a good source elsewhere.

MrMahatma
08-09-2021, 06:56 PM
I heard the same from a good source elsewhere.

If so, big win and he 100% plays

1eyedog
08-09-2021, 07:44 PM
I reckon he plays. I hope so we really need him.

The Adelaide Connection
08-09-2021, 08:02 PM
Does anyone remember who our ruck was when we played Port at AO earlier in the year? I couldn’t so I went back and checked-

Z. Cordy

They were missing Lycett that night. But the idea of Martin + English makes me feel pretty good seeing that.

Axe Man
08-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Does anyone remember who our ruck was when we played Port at AO earlier in the year? I couldn’t so I went back and checked-

Z. Cordy

They were missing Lycett that night. But the idea of Martin + English makes me feel pretty good seeing that.

It was Sweet in the ruck with Bruce providing the relief that night. We won't be seeing either of those 2 this time.

We were going through a name all the players in ridiculous positions phase around that time which is why Cordy was named in the ruck, but he didn't actually play there.

Danjul
08-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Z. Cordy

In round 9 I’m sure it was Sweet, but Cordy had a very good game .

Go_Dogs
08-09-2021, 08:57 PM
It was Sweet in the ruck with Bruce providing the relief that night. We won't be seeing either of those 2 this time.

We were going through a name all the players in ridiculous positions phase around that time which is why Cordy was named in the ruck, but he didn't actually play there.

Sweet, Juice combo vs Ladhams and Dixon.

Can’t wait to see selection tomorrow … fascinating

The Adelaide Connection
08-09-2021, 10:20 PM

Haha, that’s right! I forgot about Bevo’s contempt for naming players in their actual positions in the middle of the year. Well, I guess it’s back to worrying about the ruck situation for me.

comrade
09-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Hanging out for 6.25pm!

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 09:13 AM
Hanging out for 6.25pm!

We haven’t heard from Bevo yet this week have we? Surely due an interview/presser. Will be very interesting

Mantis
09-09-2021, 09:48 AM
We haven’t heard from Bevo yet this week have we? Surely due an interview/presser. Will be very interesting

One would think he'll chat after training today. Topics for discussion:

- Bont's knee
- Martin's availability
- Treloar
- Jamarra

dog town
09-09-2021, 09:58 AM
One would think he'll chat after training today. Topics for discussion:

- Bont's knee
- Martin's availability
- Treloar
- Jamarra

Reckon Mitch Wallis question will get a run and 3 journalists will forget to mute at some stage.

Rocco Jones
09-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Reckon the journos know who Jordon Sweet is?

bornadog
09-09-2021, 10:23 AM

Will be on SEN this morning around 10am. (Yes I am listening to it during the finals.)

comrade
09-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Let's call it now:

Does Martin get picked or not?

bornadog
09-09-2021, 10:26 AM
Let's call it now:

Gut feel, and Lewy's 53% on ground last week - YES

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Let's call it now:

I want him to

So no

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Will be on SEN this morning around 10am. (Yes I am listening to it during the finals.)

Thank you for the heads up (will chuck that on as I breeze through another glorious day or remote learning/work)

comrade
09-09-2021, 10:38 AM
I want him to

So no

Nothing would shock me, tbh.

The Pie Man
09-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Nothing would shock me, tbh.

Bedendo to replace Weightman?

comrade
09-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Bedendo to replace Weightman?

Ok, that is one move Bevo could make that would shock me!

bornadog
09-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Ok, that is one move Bevo could make that would shock me!

Ross Lyon last night says Cordy should come in and play on Alir Alir

DOG GOD
09-09-2021, 10:55 AM
If we are a chance of winning, Martin needs to play.

Happy Days
09-09-2021, 10:59 AM
The best way to counter Aliir is to give him something to do, not to try and defend him because it doesn't create any scoring opportunites for us and he's too good in the air anyway so it won't work. What exactly is Zaine going to do to make Aliir respect him?

We have to figure out a way to isolate him on a marking threat. Naughton killed him in round 9 and while they won't give us that look again, the structure of our forward line likely means he has to play on someone over 195cm, likely Schache. Do we trust Schache enough in the air to force Aliir to defend? Can we manufacture situations where Naughton or English are on Aliir?

Aliir is a great player and Port have done a fantastic job putting him in a position to succeed, but he isn't Jake Lever and has clear defensive flaws. We should look to expose those rather than plod up our forward mix.