PDA

View Full Version : The Melbourne Narrative

mjp
12-09-2021, 02:30 PM
Just getting a little weary of all the 'poor Melbourne', 'get behind Melbourne' narrative - yes, already.

OK - so they haven't won a flag since 196-something. (I don't actually care).

BUT:

- The Melbourne supporters/members voted their own club out of existence during the Hawthorn merger phase. Don Scott didn't just save the Hawks - his refusal to accept the merger effectively saved Melbourne as well.

- This is a club that ACTIVELY tried to lose games. They tried to lose. Sure, the AFL gave them a token fine, selected Chris Connolly and Dean Bailey as the 'fall guys' and swept it under the carpet...but they tanked, they cheated, they brought disgrace on themselves AND the competition.

People should not feel sorry for Melbourne. In short, they deserve EVERYTHING they get. Those 'poor supporters'? Yeah - they voted to fold their club. A club that initiated a policy of losing ON PURPOSE in order to manipulate the draft.

If there is any justice, they should have to wait another 50 years.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Just getting a little weary of all the 'poor Melbourne', 'get behind Melbourne' narrative - yes, already.

BUT:

- The Melbourne supporters/members voted their own club out of existence during the Hawthorn merger phase. Don Scott didn't just save the Hawks - his refusal to accept the merger effectively saved Melbourne as well.

- This is a club that ACTIVELY tried to lose games. They tried to lose. Sure, the AFL gave them a token fine, selected Chris Connolly and Dean Bailey as the 'fall guys' and swept it under the carpet...but they tanked, they cheated, they brought disgrace on themselves AND the competition.

People should not feel sorry for Melbourne. In short, they deserve EVERYTHING they get. Those 'poor supporters'? Yeah - they voted to fold their club. A club that initiated a policy of losing ON PURPOSE in order to manipulate the draft.

Absolutely agree.

As much as I enjoyed spoiling the party last night I will enjoy breaking the hearts of Melbourne fans so much more.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 02:38 PM
Whilst they’ve had virtually everything go their way this year. Virtually no injuries, and rescheduled games going in their favour. Haven’t even been tested in the finals series.

While we have been fighting serious injuries to gun players all year, playing nearly everyone on the list, and had to travel all over this country. We’ve had the acid on us the last three weeks and proved we are fighters.

But yeah, the narrative is set so the contrast will get lost. The next 13 days will be this. The commentary will be it too.

bornadog
12-09-2021, 02:41 PM
I am happy for them to be the favourites, sentimental or otherwise. Nice to go in underdogs.

Happy Days
12-09-2021, 02:42 PM
I really, really do not like the Dees. You only need to go to one of their games in the MCC and if you don’t feel the same already you will afterwards.

Capo dog alt right elitist pig shit scum sucking fasho wankers the lot of them.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Melbourne represents the establishment. Old money, privilege and entitlement. The Bulldogs represent the opposite. The working class, the battlers, those who are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I don't know how you build a narrative that is "poor old Melbourne".

bulldogsthru&thru
12-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Entitled lot that had everything handed to them vs battlers who were made to fight for a walk and a training session. We’re playing off in the biggest game of the year. Even not knowing who is who, I know who I would back and put my hard earned on. Here’s hoping it pans out that way.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Melbourne represents the establishment. Old money, privilege and entitlement. The Bulldogs represent the opposite. The working class, the battlers, those who are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I don't know how you build a narrative that is "poor old Melbourne".

It's funny how the establishment manages to do this all the time! Over and over again.

azabob
12-09-2021, 04:26 PM

Comedian Dave Thornton

AFL 2021 Grand Final
Teams: Melbourne v Doggies
Supporters: Landlords v Tenants

Either way someone's not getting their bond back

angelopetraglia
12-09-2021, 04:47 PM
It's funny how the establishment manages to do this all the time! Over and over again.

Melbourne (also like Carlton) had every advantage in the world. Wealth, supporters, prestige. Both clubs from a position on top of the world shot themselves in the foot via mainly hubris. Never recovered from sacking Norm Smith. He led them to six Premierships in 10 years and they sacked him. They sacked him the year after they won the flag. They didn't play in another final after that until 1987 (under Smith they played in 11 consecutive final series).

Go_Dogs
12-09-2021, 05:32 PM
It’s a good set of points. You’ve convinced me mjp, we simply have to win in 2 weeks time!

EasternWest
12-09-2021, 05:52 PM
I hate Tories, so naturally I hate Melbourne.

We're going to win.

Twodogs
12-09-2021, 08:23 PM

BUT:

Don't forget they were provided with a coach and a CEO/administrative staff and draft choices they weren't strictly entitled to because apparently we couldn't have the club that carried the Melbourne name face up to the consequences of their own ineptitude.

Sedat
12-09-2021, 09:14 PM
Their coach also "got on the good gear" from Stephen Dank during the Essendon doping scandal. How he has managed to skate out of that is one of the more notable Teflon-coated performances in recent memory.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 10:12 PM
Expect blood discharge from your ears with Roos no doubt doing the rounds. BMac can take credit for whichever contested midfield wins too.

Eastdog
12-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Makes me proud to be a Bulldogs supporter even more. I love our ethos.

Happy Days
12-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Their coach also "got on the good gear" from Stephen Dank during the Essendon doping scandal. How he has managed to skate out of that is one of the more notable Teflon-coated performances in recent memory.

And, you know, bet on games he played in.

SonofScray
12-09-2021, 11:16 PM
They are a horrid club, though have been barely worth my contempt.

I’d enjoy a win against them in a GF very much, the idea of spoiling a party is very appealing. They can have a little more heartache before redemption I think.

Twodogs
12-09-2021, 11:32 PM
They are a horrid club, though have been barely worth my contempt.

I’d enjoy a win against them in a GF very much, the idea of spoiling a party is very appealing. They can have a little more heartache before redemption I think.

Another win. We've already beaten them in a grand final.

Eastdog
12-09-2021, 11:35 PM
Another win. We've already beaten them in a grand final.

Let’s make it 2 from 2 against the Demons.

Boots
15-09-2021, 04:11 PM
On this topic, I am getting very frustrated about the use of the word 'fairytale' to describe Melbourne's run at the flag. One fundamental aspect of fairytales is that the hero is always form a marginalised or disempowered group - Cinderella is a poor chambermaid, Hansel and Gretel are children, etc. etc. They are always stories about the little guy getting an unexpected win, usually by turning power against the powerful.

Melbourne might have had a long drought, but that doesn't make them "the little guy". It's not a 'fairytale', it's a powerful club finally figuring out how to use its power to win.

I will just barely be able to stomach it if they win but I cannot stomach the equation of Dogs 2016 with Melbourne now.

Happy Days
15-09-2021, 04:38 PM
They tried to pull this bullshit in 2018 too. “The Bulldogs showed in 2016 that it’s possible for a team to win it outside the top 4”. It’s not, it’s possible for the Bulldogs.

comrade
15-09-2021, 05:02 PM
Melbourne is a club that tried to vote themselves out of existence, then tanked and were so badly run that the AFL paid for a coach and admin to come in and right the ship. This isn’t a fairytale, this is a club getting the kind of leg up ours would only dream of with a playing group of flogs who prance around and laugh at others like they’ve achieved something of merit.

Plus they have Gary Lyon on stand by.

*!*!*!*! those toffs.

The bulldog tragician
15-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Melbourne is a club that tried to vote themselves out of existence, then tanked and were so badly run that the AFL paid for a coach and admin to come in and right the ship. This isn’t a fairytale, this is a club getting the kind of leg up ours would only dream of with a playing group of flogs who prance around and laugh at others like they’ve achieved something of merit.

Plus they have Gary Lyon on stand by.

*!*!*!*! those toffs.
Go Comrade. My sentiments in a nutshell.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2021, 09:57 PM
yep. I hate the Melbourne narrative. But I must say, I do like Max Gawn, Petracca is loveable as that big, enthusiastic Italian goofball that I'm sure we all went to school with. I must admit I like Lever and May too. Even though they're both ring ins. Fritsch has the irritation level on high for me but overall I don't dislike the team or the way they play. But I DO loathe the 'poor us' story. The core of support for that club is old money. Right wing, Tory, smug, wealthy, privileged Melbourne grammar, melbourne club, mocking, sneering pompous liberals who loathe the working classes, and I want to crush them into the dirt. Not sure if I made myself clear enough.

Eastdog
15-09-2021, 10:05 PM
yep. I hate the Melbourne narrative. But I must say, I do like Max Gawn, Petracca is loveable as that big, enthusiastic Italian goofball that I'm sure we all went to school with. I must admit I like Lever and May too. Even though they're both ring ins. Fritsch has the irritation level on high for me but overall I don't dislike the team or the way they play. But I DO loathe the 'poor us' story. The core of support for that club is old money. Right wing, Tory, smug, wealthy, privileged Melbourne grammar, melbourne club, mocking, sneering pompous liberals who loathe the working classes, and I want to crush them into the dirt. Not sure if I made myself clear enough.

Yep I do get that vibe with the Demons. You sum it up very well DD.

jeemak
15-09-2021, 11:07 PM

They do have an interesting dichotomy in their supporter base, however. It's not an even contrast, though there's genuine hard up battlers in the Melbourne supporter base who have similar backgrounds to a lot of us and are probably tortured by being classified with the Tory fans Melbourne is usually associated with.

I don't feel sorry for them however, and I also don't want to give them an inch.

Also, Max Gawn is probably an OK guy but for the love of all things sacred liking coffee and toasted sandwiches whilst having a beard made you cool for a brief moment in time more than ten years ago and it's completely done with now. If anything, my rule of if an AFL player is doing it and promoting it now, it's already out of fashion applies more than ever to Max Gawn.

bornadog
15-09-2021, 11:30 PM
They do have an interesting dichotomy in their supporter base, however. It's not an even contrast, though there's genuine hard up battlers in the Melbourne supporter base who have similar backgrounds to a lot of us and are probably tortured by being classified with the Tory fans Melbourne is usually associated with.

I don't feel sorry for them however, and I also don't want to give them an inch.

Also, Max Gawn is probably an OK guy but for the love of all things sacred liking coffee and toasted sandwiches whilst having a beard made you cool for a brief moment in time more than ten years ago and it's completely done with now. If anything, my rule of if an AFL player is doing it and promoting it now, it's already out of fashion applies more than ever to Max Gawn.

He needs to ditch the beard looks like a big dawk

jeemak
15-09-2021, 11:32 PM
He needs to ditch the beard looks like a big dawk

Take that, Max Gawn's feelings!

bornadog
15-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Take that, Max Gawn's feelings!

my wife just saw me write that and said how would I feel reading something about myself like get rid of that stomach. :D

jeemak
15-09-2021, 11:35 PM
my wife just saw me write that and said how would I feel reading something about myself like get rid of that stomach. :D

Have you named your stomach yet?

bornadog
15-09-2021, 11:37 PM
Have you named your stomach yet?

yes hope it is Gawn soon

Twodogs
16-09-2021, 01:13 AM

I've always thought that's exactly why the poor people who follow Melbourne did it. Because they think that the rich and wealthy type "success" vibes rub off on them. They put the skis they never use on the roof rack, stick the MFC member sticker on the rear window and away they go into full on delusion mode.

Same reason the Alf Garnetts of the world vote Tory.

jeemak
16-09-2021, 01:30 AM
I've always thought that's exactly why the poor people who follow Melbourne did it. Because they think that the rich and wealthy type "success" vibes rub off on them. They put the skis they never use on the roof rack, stick the MFC member sticker on the rear window and away they go into full on delusion mode.

Same reason the Alf Garnetts of the world vote Tory.

Not sure how many poor folk own roof rack skis.

Dry Rot
16-09-2021, 03:03 PM
Read this and vomit

Move over Western Bulldogs, you’ve had your AFL fairytale. It’s the Demons’ turn now

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/16/move-over-western-bulldogs-youve-had-your-afl-fairytale-its-the-demons-turn-now?utm_term=c006df539e32e6d39ece9c9988121c8b&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayAUS&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTAU_email

bulldogtragic
16-09-2021, 03:20 PM
Happy to keep my lunch down and ignore it.

Bulldog Joe
16-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Read this and vomit

Move over Western Bulldogs, you’ve had your AFL fairytale. It’s the Demons’ turn now

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/16/move-over-western-bulldogs-youve-had-your-afl-fairytale-its-the-demons-turn-now?utm_term=c006df539e32e6d39ece9c9988121c8b&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayAUS&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTAU_email

It is good for them to get their hopes up.

Disappointment is more meaningful when you expect ecstasy.

Happy Days
16-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Read this and vomit

Tell me you went to private school without telling me you went to private school.

comrade
16-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Tell me you went to private school without telling me you went to private school.

Was it the round the country trip or the scholarship to Beijing that did it?

Happy Days
16-09-2021, 04:31 PM
Was it the round the country trip or the scholarship to Beijing that did it?

Yeah I was gonna give it the “say the line Bart” treatment but was too exhausted by the end of the article.

The bulldog tragician
16-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Read this and vomit

Giant eye roll and whatevs…

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Exactly. As soon as Nathan Brown mocked 'double denim' I knew it was cool.

Sedat
17-09-2021, 10:55 AM
https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-ve-got-a-special-bond-hibberd-playing-for-the-essendon-34-and-his-brother-20210916-p58sf4.html#click=https://t.co/2AHZHkZ5xX

Fair enough playing for his late brother, but playing the GF for his drug cheat 34 ex-teammates? I suppose being one of 34 drug cheats constitutes a 'special bond' lol

Grantysghost
17-09-2021, 11:12 AM
https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-ve-got-a-special-bond-hibberd-playing-for-the-essendon-34-and-his-brother-20210916-p58sf4.html#click=https://t.co/2AHZHkZ5xX

Fair enough playing for his late brother, but playing the GF for his drug cheat 34 ex-teammates? I suppose being one of 34 drug cheats constitutes a 'special bond' lol

Just when you thought they'd explored all the angles.

Can we do it for Crammers?

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Just when you thought they'd explored all the angles.

Can we do it for Crammers?

We’ve already done it for Crammers.

Wonder if he’s got a 5 year wedding anniversary party planned next Saturday.

Happy Days
17-09-2021, 11:22 AM

He was playing for them a lot more before he walked on them. Also kind of putting the horse before the cart assuming he’s playing at all.

Dees will grab any supporter clout they can. It’s their fairytale after all.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I’m enjoying it not being our fairytale. It’s tells us we’ve already won a flag recently. That’s awesome in itself. We’re not the pitied team. We’re the ones who’ve been there done that.

That is by no means saying I don’t care if we win or lose. I bloody want this one more than I did in 2016 when there was a tinge of "just happy to finally have made a grand final".

jeemak
17-09-2021, 11:51 AM
I sometimes sit and wonder about how bonkers the world is and the crazy shit that comes out of the mouths of people. Most of the time I can keep a straight face but this stuff cracks me up.

Doing it for the Essendon 34!

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2021, 12:02 PM
I sometimes sit and wonder about how bonkers the world is and the crazy shit that comes out of the mouths of people. Most of the time I can keep a straight face but this stuff cracks me up.

Doing it for the Essendon 34!

In what other world would there be such sympathy for a bunch of players and a club who knowingly took drugs to cheat? I cannot and will not ever get over this. The comments about how they’ve been through enough and that they deserve the no 1 pick after all they’ve been through. No other competition in the world would do that and they certainly wouldn’t have rewarded a team missing their best players due to drug suspension with the no 1 pick. Just crazy.

jeemak
17-09-2021, 01:15 PM
In what other world would there be such sympathy for a bunch of players and a club who knowingly took drugs to cheat? I cannot and will not ever get over this. The comments about how they’ve been through enough and that they deserve the no 1 pick after all they’ve been through. No other competition in the world would do that and they certainly wouldn’t have rewarded a team missing their best players due to drug suspension with the no 1 pick. Just crazy.

Speaking of straight faces, that the AFL could keep one whilst delivering the cheats the first pick is pretty impressive!

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Simon Goodwin in isolation with…..gastro.

One of the disadvantages of staying in hotels. Imagine an outbreak just before the grand final.

Grantysghost
17-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Simon Goodwin in isolation with…..gastro.

One of the disadvantages of staying in hotels. Imagine an outbreak just before the grand final.

Bevo wouldn't get gastro.

Gastro would get Bevo.

Goodwin doesn't inspire me at all, not sure what others think. Gambling issues (it happens), then the drugs stuff / taking Hexarelin allegedly (legal I think but really?).

Clearly doing something right though.

Grantysghost
17-09-2021, 01:33 PM

Dead right. The narrative around this is nauseating. Essendon fans whitewashing it almost to a person too.

Lets not forget this mob are the biggest systematic drug cheats in the history of Australian team sports.

They took every other team for mugs, and would have gleefully accepted a flag having knowingly conspired to cheat.

It was the end of me looking at any AFL media it was just too much for too long. (i may have had a blip in 2016).

Dry Rot
17-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Clearly doing something right though.

Choco Williams

Sedat
17-09-2021, 02:50 PM
Essendon fans whitewashing it almost to a person too.
They can't whitewash #6222 (and counting)

westdog54
17-09-2021, 07:31 PM
While the 'Melbourne narrative' is indeed nauseating and off putting, there is a reason why I won't be too upset if Melbourne get up.

He is a mate from school. Suffered cerebral palsy and spent most of adult life confined to a mobility scooter.

His sense of humour about his disability never wavered. He would joke that when he got on the piss that he stood up straighter. He would offer to drive when we went somewhere together so we could park in a 'Veggie spot'.

Only two things ever got him angry in life. Shit public transport, and the merger vote. He was as red and blue as you'll ever find and would have told the Melbourne Hawks to GAGF.

My mornings going to uni inevitably saw me running into him on the train where we would talk about life, football and more football. And we'd always depart by exchanging a hearty "Good luck to the Bulldogs/Demons this week", even if it was only Monday morning.

Fast forward to Grand Final week 2016 and out of the blue I get a text from him, saying there's a companion seat in the AFL Members reserve next to his scooter with my name on it.

He was sitting there next to me when the siren went. And before I went off to find the extended family scattered in six different areas of the MCG, we exchanged one last "Good luck for the Bulldogs/Demons this week".

It would be the last in person conversation we'd have.

He passed away from cancer last year. I'll be both forever grateful of the experience he gave me and immensely sad he never got to experience what I did.

jeemak
17-09-2021, 07:33 PM
While the 'Melbourne narrative' is indeed nauseating and off putting, there is a reason why I won't be too upset if Melbourne get up.

He is a mate from school. Suffered cerebral palsy and spent most of adult life confined to a mobility scooter.

His sense of humour about his disability never wavered. He would joke that when he got on the piss that he stood up straighter. He would offer to drive when we went somewhere together so we could park in a 'Veggie spot'.

Only two things ever got him angry in life. Shit public transport, and the merger vote. He was as red and blue as you'll ever find and would have told the Melbourne Hawks to GAGF.

My mornings going to uni inevitably saw me running into him on the train where we would talk about life, football and more football. And we'd always depart by exchanging a hearty "Good luck to the Bulldogs/Demons this week", even if it was only Monday morning.

Fast forward to Grand Final week 2016 and out of the blue I get a text from him, saying there's a companion seat in the AFL Members reserve next to his scooter with my name on it.

He was sitting there next to me when the siren went. And before I went off to find the extended family scattered in six different areas of the MCG, we exchanged one last "Good luck for the Bulldogs/Demons this week".

He passed away from cancer last year. I'll be both forever grateful of the experience he gave me and immensely sad he never got to experience what I did.

That's a lovely post and lovely memories.

And I'm not crying, everyone else is, but I'm not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-09-2021, 08:14 PM
That's a lovely post and lovely memories.

And I'm not crying, everyone else is, but I'm not.

Yeah, me neither, there just happened to be a dust storm cross my loungeroom is all...got in my eyes.. you know how it is..

I hope the Dee's get up for your late friend.........but not this year..or any other year when the Dog's happen to be their opponent.

EasternWest
17-09-2021, 08:20 PM
Stupid, sexy westdog54.

westdog54
17-09-2021, 10:14 PM
Stupid, sexy westdog54.

I can't remember the last time someone called me sexy.

EasternWest
17-09-2021, 10:23 PM
I can't remember the last time someone called me sexy.

Two points: I just did

By omission are you saying you CAN remember the last time someone called you stupid?

Topdog
17-09-2021, 10:45 PM
Bloody hell westdog fantastic story and sounds like a ripper of a person

jazzadogs
17-09-2021, 11:20 PM

Thanks for sharing Westdog. He sounds like a great friend who gave you some incredible memories!

westdog54
18-09-2021, 12:20 AM
Two points: I just did

By omission are you saying you CAN remember the last time someone called you stupid?

The omission was quite deliberate.

EasternWest
18-09-2021, 12:26 AM
The omission was quite deliberate.

Me too brother. Me too.

hujsh
22-09-2021, 02:08 AM
I don't remember St.Kilda getting this treatment any of the times they made the GF. Or is that just me getting old?

jeemak
22-09-2021, 02:25 AM
I don't remember St.Kilda getting this treatment any of the times they made the GF. Or is that just me getting old?

At the time St Kilda had Finey and Leach on SEN and it was disgusting. Plus they were engaging in post rape accusation cover ups whilst having a few of their players root a school kid so they kind of got an exemption.

And while I know that sounds harsh, or whatever, it's actually what happened.

bornadog
22-09-2021, 10:38 PM

BUT:

I am getting to the point that I really hate this club.

Grantysghost
23-09-2021, 04:40 PM
The Age know their demographic :

https://i.postimg.cc/KYSC4Gfy/Capture.jpg (https://postimg.cc/759KWyjB)

comrade
23-09-2021, 04:42 PM

We're the Other Guys. Bevo must love it.

Doc26
23-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Read this and vomit

Giant eye roll and whatevs…

This headline is infuriating and typical of type.

Nothing like another Melbourne barracker looking for another free ride or hand-out to reach the top. Next they’ll be putting their hand out for a priority pick.

Rather than asking their opponent to step aside, how about earning it for once.

EasternWest
23-09-2021, 07:08 PM
We're the Other Guys. Bevo must love it.

I love it. I can't wait to crap on their premature party.

Twodogs
23-09-2021, 08:51 PM

Was that today's (Thursday) Age? I've been collecting the papers in the lead up so I can keep the articles about us (did the same in 2016) and I missed today's Age but if they are the stories then it doesn't matter.

Grantysghost
23-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Was that today's (Thursday) Age? I've been collecting the papers in the lead up so I can keep the articles about us (did the same in 2016) and I missed today's Age but if they are the stories then it doesn't matter.

It was today's online Age at about 2pm. I assume there's some sort of algorithm that ranks the stories or presents them by views.

Sedat
23-09-2021, 09:00 PM
The Max Gawn fap-a-thon continuing on AFL360 tonight

bulldogtragic
23-09-2021, 09:18 PM
The Max Gawn fap-a-thon continuing on AFL360 tonight

If he has a quiet game in a loss, not sure how these experts turn up next year and expect anyone to take them seriously.

Happy Days
23-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Gawn’s a superstar but he’s still only the (at best) second best player out there.

Twodogs
23-09-2021, 09:27 PM
If he has a quiet game in a loss, not sure how these experts turn up next year and expect anyone to take them seriously.

Simples. It'll be Max's fault that he let everyone down. The headlines will all be "Perth Boat Loses Race"

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-09-2021, 09:41 PM
Gees, I wish I had kept my boycott of footy shows in place. I stupidly relented and sat the AFL 360...
What an idiot I am. I'm going to be a nervous wreck these next 2 days.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2021, 10:30 PM
I’m close to sitting it out until the first bounce.

bornadog
24-09-2021, 12:32 AM
Gees, I wish I had kept my boycott of footy shows in place. I stupidly relented and sat the AFL 360...
What an idiot I am. I'm going to be a nervous wreck these next 2 days.

I recorded it again and just pushed through most of it. I didn't mind the David King and Montagna segment to see what they come up with. The rest was rubbish.

angelopetraglia
24-09-2021, 12:45 AM
The pile in on Melbourne is unbelievable. It is seriously like we don't exist.

jeemak
24-09-2021, 04:45 AM
Gawn’s a superstar but he’s still only the (at best) second best player out there.

I understand the narrative due to his preliminary final, but we've got a team full of psycho awesome players who have been ignored for an entire fortnight after committing hate crimes against a preliminary final opponent - at their bogan Aussie rock fortress of all places (it would be two Aussie bogan rock fortresses if Brisbane had enough character to have a character and maybe even a song to go with it).

If anything the narrative should be about whether the coffee loving try hard is up for doing it two games in a row against a team that is the equivalent of any worst enemy you could take on in battle.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2021, 06:42 AM
You know what would be a cool story? A team that had been one of the best all year, who suffered untimely injuries, with plenty of resurrection and new found star backstories in its playing ranks, who had won 3 incredibly tough finals away and ultimately made it a 4th in securing a second premiership in 5 years similar to the list changes of the three-peat Hawks in 2013 and look like competing at the pointy end for an extended period of time.

EasternWest
13-10-2021, 09:14 PM
Those two bellends that snuck into WA have been jailed. No messing around

jeemak
13-10-2021, 09:31 PM

The HUN tried to come to their rescue and suggest it was their passion that drove them to make a bad call. I suggested it might have been their entitlement and privilege that did it........

It will be interesting to see if they're able to be employed in the future, or whether it's just poor people and people of colour who go to jail who can't be.

EasternWest
13-10-2021, 09:41 PM
The HUN tried to come to their rescue and suggest it was their passion that drove them to make a bad call. I suggested it might have been their entitlement and privilege that did it........

It will be interesting to see if they're able to be employed in the future, or whether it's just poor people and people of colour who go to jail who can't be.

The Herald Sun siding with toffs and Tories? I just don't believe it.

Twodogs
13-10-2021, 10:16 PM

I think that if you serve a prison sentence then you can lose your liquor licence.

jeemak
13-10-2021, 10:19 PM
Not sure what your upbringing has to do with much when you're committing fraud at the age of 39. I mean imagine being 39 and having to rely on how you were brought up as a child to determine whether you were of sound character (it does go the other way, however):

https://www.smh.com.au/national/melbourne-demons-fans-plead-guilty-over-trip-to-wa-for-afl-grand-final-20211013-p58zm8.html

Mr Rafferty said Xavier College graduate Babbage had an “excellent” upbringing and had completed an aeronautical engineering degree at RMIT, noting a conviction – especially for fraud – would have a significant impact on his current career as a financial planner.

I wonder if this means they get done in the NT when released from WA's system:

The pair have also been summonsed to appear in a NT court over several charges including contravention of an emergency declaration, giving false or misleading information, uttering a forged document, and criminal deception to obtain a benefit.

NT Police say while the pair flew into the NT from a Melbourne airport via regional Victoria before it was declared a hotspot, they did not isolate until a negative COVID-19 test was returned, as directed.

It is also alleged Burbank and Babbage falsified documents to obtain NT driver’s licences and open bank accounts in the Top End.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 10:22 PM
No excuse.

My mum is currently in isolation in hospital because of an anti vaxxer walking in to the ED.

She's nearly losing her mind it's that bad.

Throw the book at these arse hats.

bornadog
13-10-2021, 11:57 PM
No excuse.

My mum is currently in isolation in hospital because of an anti vaxxer walking in to the ED.

She's nearly losing her mind it's that bad.

Throw the book at these arse hats.

I hope she is ok Granty.

I can't stand these moronic anti-vaxxers - they are just a bunch of selfish pricks who don't care about others.

Those blokes got 3 months jail.

Grantysghost
14-10-2021, 12:01 AM
I hope she is ok Granty.

I can't stand these moronic anti-vaxxers - they are just a bunch of selfish pricks who don't care about others.

Thanks BAD. She went in via Ambulance with a bad infection, (couldn't stand she was boiling hot has parkinson's) the system is so smashed she ended up having to go into the waiting room to relieve the Ambos and a walk in caused the entire ED to be a tier 1.

Shes 84, in a room on her own door locked one nurse no books or anything.

Thankfully shes coming home tomorrow.

I forced her to get the AZ vax, thank God I did others in the same ED waiting room have tested postive. So far she's negative.

Scraggers
14-10-2021, 01:03 AM

Three months is the reduced sentence. The two positives … they’ll spend Christmas in jail and, once released, they’ll face court in NT.

I think he’ll lose his liquor licence as well. Hope it was worth it

jeemak
14-10-2021, 02:19 AM
Three months is the reduced sentence. The two positives … they’ll spend Christmas in jail and, once released, they’ll face court in NT.

I think he’ll lose his liquor licence as well. Hope it was worth it

Yeah, they were partially suspended ten month sentences. That's a decent stretch.

jeemak
14-10-2021, 02:33 AM
I hope she is ok Granty.

Hey BAD, I love you but ignorance and trepidation, or fear don't have much to do with selfishness. Selfishness can be a symptom of these things but such a hard line isn't helpful.

When you consider that these people have been isolated from others, with only their computers, tablets or phones and tapping into media for the best part of two years, you'd have to expect an outcome that isn't directly related to whether they have empathy for others or not.

Take away their ability to put food on the table, for themselves or their family, support loved ones in need, or just live a life that may (or may not) have been pretty shitty in the first place but is completely *!*!*!*!ing shitty now they're isolated and again imagine how that plays with the way they think.

Then think about what gives them refuge, when the government that gave tens of billions to corporates that didn't need it in job keeper last lockdown on top of what citizens were given, but won't this time around for the latter because they apparently can't afford it, and ask yourself why would they actually trust the government when the government tells them they need to be vaccinated to make sure everyone is safe, after not being taken care of.

Now's the time for empathy and not derision. Just like the Karen stereotype the anti-vaxxer stereotype is simple and problematic, people of intelligence like yourself need to not perpetuate it.

GG - the above doesn't relate to the single example you have mentioned, and you know me, and know that I hope your mother is OK and gets out soon.

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 10:28 AM
I mean these blokes are dickheads and the fraud stuff in the NT is serious, but 3 months jail for crossing a state border? Wow. Are we really OK with with this? Violent crimes can receive a lighter punishment. I find the state centric focus at present is disheartening for the country as a whole.

chef
14-10-2021, 10:36 AM
I mean these blokes are dickheads and the fraud stuff in the NT is serious, but 3 months jail for crossing a state border? Wow. Are we really OK with with this? Violent crimes can receive a lighter punishment. I find the state centric focus at present is disheartening for the country as a whole.

When people can't cross borders to see dying relatives yet these guys think they are above the law for a football game.

Do the crime, do the time. We all know the rules.

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 10:43 AM
When people can't cross borders to see dying relatives yet these guys think they are above the law for a football game.

Do the crime, do the time. We all know the rules.

Well none of that goes to my point. These blokes are entitled twats but that doesn't change the fact that the punishment is extreme and some of the border rules are often insane.

The Underdog
14-10-2021, 11:36 AM
Not sure what your upbringing has to do with much when you're committing fraud at the age of 39. I mean imagine being 39 and having to rely on how you were brought up as a child to determine whether you were of sound character (it does go the other way, however):

https://www.smh.com.au/national/melbourne-demons-fans-plead-guilty-over-trip-to-wa-for-afl-grand-final-20211013-p58zm8.html

Mr Rafferty said Xavier College graduate Babbage had an “excellent” upbringing and had completed an aeronautical engineering degree at RMIT, noting a conviction – especially for fraud – would have a significant impact on his current career as a financial planner.

The pair have also been summonsed to appear in a NT court over several charges including contravention of an emergency declaration, giving false or misleading information, uttering a forged document, and criminal deception to obtain a benefit.

NT Police say while the pair flew into the NT from a Melbourne airport via regional Victoria before it was declared a hotspot, they did not isolate until a negative COVID-19 test was returned, as directed.

It is also alleged Burbank and Babbage falsified documents to obtain NT driver’s licences and open bank accounts in the Top End.

Surely having this sort of upbringing and the advantage of this education is that you should be able to make a more educated and informed decision. Or maybe if you're an entitled arse, these things won't change that.

Grantysghost
14-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Well none of that goes to my point. These blokes are entitled twats but that doesn't change the fact that the punishment is extreme and some of the border rules are often insane.

It's extreme but it's not like they didn't know that already.

I think education is the key, make these guys spend a few hours talking with a covid team who have been on the front line.

chef
14-10-2021, 12:14 PM

And if they cause a covid outbreak that shut down the state?

The rules are the rules, they knew what would happen if they got caught.

Some dude in Melbourne got 4 months jail for escaping hotel quarantine, do the crime do the time.

Scraggers
14-10-2021, 12:26 PM

The punishment isn't for crossing the border, the punishment is for fraud. If you ask me, they got off lightly. And don't start picking on Comrade McGowan :p; whilst the laws might be extreme, we have been in three weeks and one week lockdown (four weeks in total) since this pandemic hit Australia.

Axe Man
14-10-2021, 12:33 PM
The punishment isn't for crossing the border, the punishment is for fraud. If you ask me, they got off lightly. And don't start picking on Comrade McGowan :p; whilst the laws might be extreme, we have been in three weeks and one week lockdown (four weeks in total) since this pandemic hit Australia.

Isn't the fraud in NT and still to be dealt with?

By the way I've got no interest in getting involved in any Covid debates. I just find it strange everyone thinks this is a reasonable outcome, for moving around within our country. I get the point of border restrictions but wow, these are crazy times. If these were 2 working class Bulldogs supporters instead of entitled MCC toffs would everyone have the same view?

bornadog
14-10-2021, 12:55 PM

By the way I've got no interest in getting involved in any Covid debates. I just find it strange everyone thinks this is a reasonable outcome, for moving around within our country. I get the point of border restrictions but wow, these are crazy times. If these were 2 working class Bulldogs supporters instead of entitled MCC toffs would everyone have the same view?

YES for sure

GVGjr
14-10-2021, 02:34 PM

It's doubtful. As an example we are very strong on how racism should be dealt with but we don't really hold the club accountable when Jong apparently was on the wrong side of it. All of a sudden it's a more complex issue.

jeemak
14-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Surely having this sort of upbringing and the advantage of this education is that you should be able to make a more educated and informed decision. Or maybe if you're an entitled arse, these things won't change that.

Possibly the upbringing and education drives the privtitlement.

EasternWest
14-10-2021, 10:55 PM
I mean these blokes are dickheads and the fraud stuff in the NT is serious, but 3 months jail for crossing a state border? Wow. Are we really OK with with this?

I have this idiot friend who was on a first date with a girl. He goes to the bar to get some drinks and there's a guy at the bar wearing a hat. He says to the guy "I like your hat" and the guy says "thanks". Then my friend said "I'm going to take it a try it on" and the guy says "if you touch my hat I'm going to punch you in the mouth".

My idiot friend thinks about this for a second then takes the hat. Long story short after the girl took my idiot friend to hospital there wasn't a second date.

Nominally I agree with you Axe. In isolation this jail time is way too excessive. But I have trouble feeling sympathy for these guys because they ignored a whole heap of guys at bars that said "if you touch my hat I'm going to punch you in the mouth".

If these were 2 working class Bulldogs supporters instead of entitled MCC toffs would everyone have the same view?

No, I'd call them bogans instead, and the hat story would still apply.

By the way, that's a 100% true story and he is an absolute legend of a guy, but he's also a moron.

Twodogs
14-10-2021, 11:49 PM
I have this idiot friend who was on a first date with a girl. He goes to the bar to get some drinks and there's a guy at the bar wearing a hat. He says to the guy "I like your hat" and the guy says "thanks". Then my friend said "I'm going to take it a try it on" and the guy says "if you touch my hat I'm going to punch you in the mouth".

My idiot friend thinks about this for a second then takes the hat. Long story short after the girl took my idiot friend to hospital there wasn't a second date.

Nominally I agree with you Axe. In isolation this jail time is way too excessive. But I have trouble feeling sympathy for these guys because they ignored a whole heap of guys at bars that said "if you touch my hat I'm going to punch you in the mouth"..

Reminds me of a time years ago we went to a pub in Richmond to see a band..A huge Bikie asked my best mate the time and my mate said that it was time for him to get a watch! Then he told him to wash his hands (we were in the toilets at the time) the Bikie guy was so stunned that he couldn't speak. We walked out of the dunnies quicksmart.

No, I'd call them bogans instead, and the hat story would still apply.

By the way, that's a 100% true story and he is an absolute legend of a guy, but he's also a moron.

I agree with you too. They took a chance knowing exactly what the consequences were if they got caught. And I'd say exactly the same thing if they were bulldog supporters. The WA govt and population have worked hard and are pretty close to emerging from an international pandemic with a minor miracle Anne these guys have risked that. Personally I think they have gotten off lightly.

The bulldog tragician
16-10-2021, 12:14 AM
They are in jail for falsifying documents for their little jolly, not just sneaking into the state. It was a deliberate and preplanned strategy. They were arrogant enough to get into the rooms and be in photos because of their sense of entitlement. There are a lot of people I feel dreadfully sad for in this pandemic but they are not among them.

The Underdog
16-10-2021, 08:25 AM

If you think these border rules are insane, wait until you hear how long some asylum seekers have been locked up for.

Axe Man
17-10-2021, 10:16 PM
If you think these border rules are insane, wait until you hear how long some asylum seekers have been locked up for.

Absolutely agree but completely unrelated.

1eyedog
18-10-2021, 10:59 AM

You may be right about these guys but it's far more complicated than this. How you were raised can have a hell of a lot to do with breaking the law at the age of 39, and beyond. You don't just drop grief, trauma, a lack of parental support, a drug addiction, anxiety, sexual abuse or bullying you live with it forever and, if you survive it into adulthood, you do the best to manage it, often unsuccessfully. My feeling on this matter is you really need to be living with these challenges on a daily basis to truly understand why people make the choices they do.

We never know what someone has gone through in their lives. People with trauma from their childhoods often take a survivalst mentality through life i.e. they're prepared to increase risk because they have nothing to lose. I'm not saying this is the case for the accused, I haven't read the article, but to suggest that how you were raised doesn't impact your whole life and the decisions you make throughout it is very, very near sighted.

Just wanted to make that clear.

jeemak
18-10-2021, 11:10 AM
You may be right about these guys but it's far more complicated than this. How you were raised can have a hell of a lot to do with breaking the law at the age of 39, and beyond. You don't just drop grief, trauma, a lack of parental support, a drug addiction, anxiety, sexual abuse or bullying you live with it forever and, if you survive it into adulthood, you do the best to manage it, often unsuccessfully. My feeling on this matter is you really need to be living with these challenges on a daily basis to truly understand why people make the choices they do.

We never know what someone has gone through in their lives. People with trauma from their childhoods often take a survivalst mentality through life i.e. they're prepared to increase risk because they have nothing to lose. I'm not saying this is the case for the accused, I haven't read the article, but to suggest that how you were raised doesn't impact your whole life and the decisions you make throughout it is very, very near sighted.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Thank you for your reply mate, I probably haven't articulated what I was trying to say properly in this instance.

I'm well aware that much of what forms people's character, actions and behaviours is impacted by formative year experiences. What I was trying to say here is that referring to a privileged upbringing in attempting to mitigate the offenders actions was (in my view) a poor reading of the play in this specific example, given he decided to commit acts of fraud at the age of 39.

1eyedog
18-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Thank you for your reply mate, I probably haven't articulated what I was trying to say properly in this instance.

I'm well aware that much of what forms people's character, actions and behaviours is impacted by formative year experiences. What I was trying to say here is that referring to a privileged upbringing in attempting to mitigate the offenders actions was (in my view) a poor reading of the play in this specific example, given he decided to commit acts of fraud at the age of 39.

Thanks mate I obviously misunderstood and I do apologise. I feel quite strongly and protective about people who have had troubled childhoods is all. I completely agree with you now that I understand the position.