PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia between now and the Grand Final

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Dear woofers.
I spend a hell of a lot of time reading WOOF but don't post any where near as much as I should.

But here's my way of dealing with sleepless nights especially now with all the excitement and anticipation leading in to the grand final.

It's a version of counting sheep.

I close my eyes....... and internally put on the Craig Willis voice, (voice of the 'G) and I announce the premiership medallions innn a order....
So please put your best a Craiggggga a Willisssa voice on and get going.

aaah number. aaah one..... aah....... Adammmma atreloarrrrrra.

then you have to go through the numbers who aren't gonna get one and there's a little internal dialogue regarding each player.
2. Lewis Young (what does his future hold)
3. Mitch........ (very sad situation for him but hard to argue he demands a spot in the team even though I love him)
4. Bont, but he won't be announced til the end as captain.

so it's anumber. afivea. aJossssha. aDunkleya.

anumber...a.. six. aBailey......aSmithhha. (monstrous applause across this great land)

a number a seven. a Lachie aHunterrrrrrrrrr.

so I keep going down the list with a little pause as I visualise each of them getting their medallion, patting a cute little kid on the head, and then giving them their cap.
then it's......
aah number aah eighta. aStefannnn...a, aMartinnnnn.

anumberrra tennnnna. Eastonnnnna awooooda.

etc, etc all down the line. I never get to the end before falling asleep. And you can just keep doing it every night.
starting at the start again.

I did it in 2016. And it worked. And we won.

you will sleep the sleep of angels.

Feel free to try it. This a free WOOF health initiative and is not means tested. Not available to Melbourne supporters.

Grantysghost
15-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Haha love it.

I got to Dunks and then I got nervous so I stopped!

The two weeks thing is killing me I feel like the nervous energy is compounding and by the time next Saturday comes around I'll be in the foetal position.

Probably still saying the numbers, but with more rocking and druel than a normal day.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-09-2021, 09:20 PM
The more I imagine our players on the Dias with the cup, the more I realise how much it’s gonna hurt if it’s not us up there. I wanna see Bevo and Bont raise the cup so badly now.

jazzadogs
15-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Love it DD. I have a very similar routine when I am trying to sleep and my mind is whirring, but it's a bit more 'bulldogs trivia'.

My preferred game is to just go through every number and name the first player who comes to mind
1 jarrad grant
2 bob murphy
3 mitch wallis
4 daniel cross
5 matthew boyd
6 johnno
7 westy
8 hahn
9 gilbee
10 eagleton
11 macrae
12 williams
13 gia

etc. etc. It's always interesting to me how I get on particular tracks, and I love when I get a random name in there.

I also like to choose old years or games and try to name the starting side. I'm sure I never get it 100%, but it's mindless enough that it pushes all my work/life worries to the side for long enough to sleep!

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Yeah I do that too. But now I've shifted into grand final mode. I'm quite proactive like that. A real go-getter.(as if). And you also find that each name and number takes you on several side stories, and random paths and memories, and before you know it your mind is somewhere else and you're falling asleep.

Love it DD. I have a very similar routine when I am trying to sleep and my mind is whirring, but it's a bit more 'bulldogs trivia'.

My preferred game is to just go through every number and name the first player who comes to mind
1 jarrad grant
2 bob murphy
3 mitch wallis
4 daniel cross
5 matthew boyd
6 johnno
7 westy
8 hahn
9 gilbee
10 eagleton
11 macrae
12 williams
13 gia

etc. etc. It's always interesting to me how I get on particular tracks, and I love when I get a random name in there.

I also like to choose old years or games and try to name the starting side. I'm sure I never get it 100%, but it's mindless enough that it pushes all my work/life worries to the side for long enough to sleep!

jazzadogs
15-09-2021, 09:34 PM
My Grand Final mode is naming our 2016 GF goalkickers in order. It's a real joy.

Dry Rot
15-09-2021, 10:31 PM
No insomnia for me

Nope. We haven't played the Dees with Stef, Dunks or Treloar.

We will spank these pricks. I am sleeping well now.

However I had a home invasion a few years and live in a bit of a dodgy inner city Sydney area, but I still sleep well because of my housemate Maddie.

Maddie is a large, razor sharp meat cleaver.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2021, 08:16 PM
Sounds bloody awful! Hope they caught the bastards.

No insomnia for me

However I had a home invasion a few years and live in a bit of a dodgy inner city Sydney area, but I still sleep well because of my housemate Maddie.

Daughter of the West
16-09-2021, 11:29 PM
I had the theme from the Wil Anderson podcast 2 Guys 1 Cup stuck in my head at 2am the other morning.

Pretending I was lying in the turf again after the GWS prelim sent me back off to sleep again, the sweet sweet smell of victory in that grass… :)

angelopetraglia
17-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Ha, I do the same thing with footy numbers to fall asleep, but have slightly different players …….

1. Purser
2. Billy the Kid
3. Grant
4. Bont
5. Bubba
6. Johno
7. Hawk
8. Kennedy
9. Gilbee
10. Hunter
11. McGuiness
12. Cordy
13. Gia
14. Darcy
15. Wynd
16. Croft
17. Cooney
18. Beasley
19. Flea
20. Edmond
21. Libba
22. Harrison
23. Roughead
24. S. Wallis
25. Hargrave
26. Del-Re
27. Super
28. Dimma
29. Deadeye
30. Robbo
31. Dale
32. Fossie
33. Choco
34. West
35. Baxter
36. Lake
37. Roarke
38. Morris
39. Libba
40. Harbrow

EasternWest
17-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Ha, I do the same thing with footy numbers to fall asleep, but have slightly different players …….

22. Harrison

How very dare you.

Mantis
17-09-2021, 10:25 AM
How very dare you.

The only correct answer is Peter Quill.

bornadog
17-09-2021, 10:25 AM
How very dare you.

Should have been Cullen

Twodogs
17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
How very dare you.

Should have been Cullen

Ted Whitten Jr says oi!

angelopetraglia
17-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Ted Whitten Jr says oi!

Wally Donald ?

Twodogs
17-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Wally Donald ?

My memory doesn't go back to his playing days but I opened the batting with his son Mark for a couple of years in park cricket. Wally's family lived around the corner. We had a premiership hero and a test cricketer (Ken Eastwood) living in the neighbourhood. For a kid who was obsessed with footy and cricket it was like heaven.

But I do vividly remember EJ Jr bursting away from centre bounces and planting the ball on Kelvin Templeton's chest. Ted was the second best kick to a lead that I ever saw after Doug Hawkins.

EasternWest
17-09-2021, 12:24 PM

Should have been Cullen

Ted Whitten Jr says oi!

Wally Donald ?

I'll remember this slight.

bornadog
17-09-2021, 01:58 PM
argh, you mean Marra

Doc26
17-09-2021, 03:10 PM
Dear woofers.
I spend a hell of a lot of time reading WOOF but don't post any where near as much as I should.

But here's my way of dealing with sleepless nights especially now with all the excitement and anticipation leading in to the grand final.

It's a version of counting sheep.

I close my eyes....... and internally put on the Craig Willis voice, (voice of the 'G) and I announce the premiership medallions innn a order....
So please put your best a Craiggggga a Willisssa voice on and get going.

aaah number. aaah one..... aah....... Adammmma atreloarrrrrra.

I did it in 2016. And it worked. And we won.

you will sleep the sleep of angels.

Feel free to try it. This a free WOOF health initiative and is not means tested. Not available to Melbourne supporters.

I thought I’d give this a try last night. Was working well until I got to #36 and for the life of me I couldn’t get passed it, with my mind suddenly racing trying to work through our list to establish who after Brad Lynch departed now has the #36. I was stumped and after grappling with it had to get up to to find the answer off my phone, which of course it’s currently un-allocated.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2021, 03:13 PM
No insomnia for me

Surry Hills DR? Stayed there a few years back. Interesting characters.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-09-2021, 06:55 PM
It’s like DFA was never born

jazzadogs
17-09-2021, 07:15 PM
I thought I’d give this a try last night. Was working well until I got to #36 and for the life of me I couldn’t get passed it, with my mind suddenly racing trying to work through our list to establish who after Brad Lynch departed now has the #36. I was stumped and after grappling with it had to get up to to find the answer off my phone, which of course it’s currently un-allocated.

A key part of the success of this strategy is not trying to be perfect haha

Twodogs
17-09-2021, 08:12 PM
When I can't sleep I pretend that I'm bowling to Mark Taylor and commentate it in my head. I'm usually fast asleep in no time.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-09-2021, 08:38 PM
I do the same but with vfl/afl premiers since 1897.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-09-2021, 08:39 PM

36.. Matt hannabery? Peter Baxter?

Twodogs
17-09-2021, 09:00 PM
36.. Matt hannabery? Peter Baxter?

Jose Romero? I'm surprised that you missed him!

I think that Peter Baxter wore #26. Darren Baxter wore #35 from memory.