PDA

View Full Version : The Real Slim Shady… Will our role players stand up?

azabob
19-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

Finals and Grand Finals are not won by your top half a dozen players, but players 18-23.

Do you have confidence our bottom half dozen will stand up when needed?

I must admit I have a nagging concern that some players won’t stand up when it is their time. If I am being really honest I have a lingering doubt or two that players who had AA years may also go missing when the heat really comes.

Will they compete 100% of the time, will their decision making stand up in the heat of battle, will skill execution let them down?

Don’t get me wrong, the whole team is under pressure to perform. I hope players like Wood, Dale, VDM, Hannan, JJ, big Timmy English, Schache, Roarke Smith all compete and keep things simple when it is their turn.

If everyone plays their designated role we will be a happy bunch this time next week.

Without being too negative is their a particular player who has you worried heading into the GF?

#BeMoreBulldog

bornadog
19-09-2021, 01:44 PM
I still worry about Gardner when he has the ball in hand and his disposal, especially short passing. Similarly Roarke's left foot which looks like Cordy's left foot. We can't turn the ball over in the backline, or anywhere, as Melbourne will make us pay.

VDM's goal kicking is dicey, as is Naughton's.

The bulldog tragician
19-09-2021, 07:00 PM
My concerns are:

Bailey Dale is a great attacking half back but still suspect one on one.

Roarke has been amazing but sometimes still doesn’t take the first chance.

Stef - age and lack of fitness could be really telling in a high stakes match.

But there are often grand finals where an unassuming type has a blinder while stars are comparatively quiet. With both sides well matched contested, not pretty, footy, will be what wins it.

jeemak
19-09-2021, 07:17 PM
Interesting Az, you've mentioned players as in plural of our AA contingent that may go missing. So who of Bont and Jacko are you most concerned about, if I take for granted that one of the players is Dale?

boydogs
20-09-2021, 12:51 AM
Libba & JJ struggle with a tag and Treloar struggles in big games. Hope they all fight it out until the last second and don't drop their heads

Mantis
20-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Libba & JJ struggle with a tag and Treloar struggles in big games. Hope they all fight it out until the last second and don't drop their heads

He does? I know he was quiet in the SF, but when else has he had a stinker in a big game?

jeemak
20-09-2021, 09:19 AM
He does? I know he was quiet in the SF, but when else has he had a stinker in a big game?

He was also really good in the 2018 GF.

azabob
20-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Interesting Az, you've mentioned players as in plural of our AA contingent that may go missing. So who of Bont and Jacko are you most concerned about, if I take for granted that one of the players is Dale?

Thanks for readying my post so closely ;)

I was trying to be a bit diplomatic. FWIW I don't think Bont and Jacko go missing in big games.

jeemak
20-09-2021, 10:00 AM

I was trying to be a bit diplomatic. FWIW I don't think Bont and Jacko don't go missing in big games.

So by the use of this double negative you DO think they go missing in big games?

mjp
20-09-2021, 10:42 AM

I was trying to be a bit diplomatic. FWIW I don't think Bont and Jacko don't go missing in big games.

I think Melbourne will 100% tag Bailey Dale.

azabob
20-09-2021, 10:51 AM
So by the use of this double negative you DO think they go missing in big games?

You needed to use red font for the full school teacher effect.

azabob
20-09-2021, 10:53 AM
I think Melbourne will 100% tag Bailey Dale.

Melbourne tagging Dale does worry me. Massive test for him and Schache this Saturday night.

jeemak
20-09-2021, 10:57 AM
You needed to use red font for the full school teacher effect.

I'm unusually sharp for a Monday morning.

comrade
20-09-2021, 11:00 AM
Melbourne will tag Dale and we'll tag Salem.

FrediKanoute
21-09-2021, 01:29 AM
Who Melbourne should really tag though is Daniel. If you were going to have a guy in our backline to sit on it would be Daniel, because he more often than not is the one who gets us out of the tight space and into the hands of Dale/Williams or the mids.

jeemak
21-09-2021, 01:41 AM
Who Melbourne should really tag though is Daniel. If you were going to have a guy in our backline to sit on it would be Daniel, because he more often than not is the one who gets us out of the tight space and into the hands of Dale/Williams or the mids.

I think the view with Daniel is that if you limit his options thirty metres away and shut down players around him who can penetrate more with longer kicking then you can slow us down. With that in mind I kind of understand why you might let him get the ball.

Where he's at his best is if our team defence is working effectively and we make teams scramble forward and shallow. If Daniel isn't manned up properly and our team defence is working properly then it's in our favour.

boydogs
21-09-2021, 03:00 AM

I take that back, must have been thinking of Gary Rohan's interview