PDA

View Full Version : Where's the pain ?

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 12:53 AM
I am gutted.

I feel sick.

I want to vomit.

I don't know what to say; what do i say?

We had it.

My pain is flowing from every Bulldogs orifice in my body.

This is worse than Prelim losses.

I'm struggling with my DOGS identity.

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 01:05 AM
There is pain. This hurts to the soul. But this team has brought me so much joy throughout what has been a terrible year for this city. I love this club. I love what it stands for. I love how it has survived. I love how it won the 2016 Premiership. I love that we have played in two GFs in five years (which was unthinkable when I was growing up).

So yes. We capitulated at the most critical time. An amazing football team got a hold of us. We were not the only team this happened to. Our best wasn't good enough tonight.

But there can only be won winner. It isn't us today.

You win some. You lose some. That is life. We have a chance to prove the world wrong now. How you react and handle things in adversity says more about your character than when things go your way.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 01:11 AM
Might be a slow burn for me. I a, flat and it hurts, but not like 97, or 09.

We were there, our best looked good enough, just not for long enough. I anticipated someone getting flogged and think if that game is played 10 times, we win the flag 4 times over. Lots to unpack, but just not our day in the end. They put 10 minutes of absolutely perfect football together against the run of play and broke us. That we broke is what hurts the most.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Might be a slow burn for me. I a, flat and it hurts, but not like 97, or 09.

We were there, our best looked good enough, just not for long enough. I anticipated someone getting flogged and think if that game is played 10 times, we win the flag 4 times over. Lots to unpack, but just not our day in the end. They put 10 minutes of absolutely perfect football together against the run of play and broke us. That we broke is what hurts the most.

Nailed it.

Eastdog
26-09-2021, 01:15 AM
Everyone will have there own way of coping with this loss but I'm feeling like angelopetraglia. It will make the next flag much more special.

Vred
26-09-2021, 01:17 AM
When your brown beaten that Melbourne is a certain win for two weeks straight I went into this game expecting a loss, it's alot easier to swallow if you expect defeat..

I'm sure once I sober up tomorrow and have to go to work and deal with my Melbourne supporting work mates it'll hurt alot more.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2021, 01:18 AM
I get it bro. I feel it. I’m just not articulating it. I think there’s ten of thousands of members and fans feeling the same. I think my coping mechanism is to focus on how we improve and go one better. No words can give us back a rolled gold opportunity. But we all cope with it differently. Doesn’t mean we don’t feel it too, just perhaps we articulate it differently. But I’m hearing you and not going to argue the counter. Just have to hope it stings less as the days drag out more.

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 01:22 AM
Essendon lost the 1983 Grand Final by 83 points. They went back to back in 84 & 85.

Hawthorn lost the GF in 2012 (after stealing one in 2008). They used that as motivation to go and do a threepeat in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Hopefully we can use this as a springboard.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2021, 01:24 AM
Essendon lost the 1983 Grand Final by 83 points. They went back to back in 84 & 85.

Hawthorn lost the GF in 2012 (after stealing one in 2008). They used that as motivation to go and do a threepeat in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Hopefully we can use this as a springboard.

Hawthorn traded aggressively. We gave them Lake for nothing to secure that. We too need to aggressively trade to improve our fortunes next year.

josie
26-09-2021, 01:29 AM
I’m upset but not devastated. Perhaps without 2016 I’d be devastated. Looks like the players hit a brick wall. And we were not able to counter centre clearances or reliably stick tackles, whether that’s on the coaches or players or both I do not know. For me it’s how the players and the club respond next year I’m interested in. I’m hoping they get off the canvas and are driven to improve.

Somehow the PF losses for me felt worse. Still really proud of the amazing 3 finals wins this year. I’ve accepted Dees were much better tonight than us and had more steely reserve then I thought they were capable of. Also worried we could fall short against them for a few years more. Their star power is damn good and they fielded a younger and less experienced side then ours. Without a ruck combo that could counter Gawn and Jackson and our inability to stop Petracca and Oliver waltzing out of the middle we were like the boy with his finger in the dike.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2021, 01:32 AM
Absolutely hurts right now. I’m gutted. All week I kept saying I don’t want to lose a close one. I don’t want to forever relay moments over in my head ala 97 and 09. But I never expected this. Never expected an absolute belting. But what’s worse and most gobsmacking is how it unfolded straight after being all over them halfway through the 3rd. From almost 4 goals down to almost 4 goals up and on a roll whilst dominating to then just stop…..I’m speechless. I have no words. I’ve never seen anything like it. I don’t understand. I don’t get it. Melbourne are good but they’re not that good. We just rolled over and let them do whatever they wanted. This season has gone their way for every second. They deserve it but I’ve never seen such luck in my life.

This one will take some time to digest. It’s a weird one. Close losses really hurt. This one will just eat away for a while.

I’ll need to find a new hobby this summer to take my mind away from this club. Need a bit of a refresh. As it stands right now. I can’t and don’t trust this team. No matter when. No matter what. They could dish up anything. That needs to change. We need to become more resilient and stick fat when things aren’t going our way. The midfield needs more balance. The forward line needs more balance. The defence needs more balance. We’re so close yet so far.

Overall, im just….confused. Our clubs personality is so bipolar.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 01:35 AM
When your brown beaten that Melbourne is a certain win for two weeks straight I went into this game expecting a loss, it's alot easier to swallow if you expect defeat..

I'm sure once I sober up tomorrow and have to go to work and deal with my Melbourne supporting work mates it'll hurt alot more.

Mcdonald and Brown would struggle at Gold Coast.

This is one of the great failures.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2021, 01:37 AM
I’m upset but not devastated. Perhaps without 2016 I’d be devastated. Looks like the players hit a brick wall. And we were not able to counter centre clearances or reliably stick tackles, whether that’s on the coaches or players or both I do not know. For me it’s how the players and the club respond next year I’m interested in. I’m hoping they get off the canvas and are driven to improve.

Somehow the PF losses for me felt worse. Still really proud of the amazing 3 finals wins this year. I’ve accepted Dees were much better tonight than us and had more steely reserve then I thought they were capable of. Also worried we could fall short against them for a few years more. Their star power is damn good and they fielded a younger and less experienced side then ours. Without a ruck combo that could counter Gawn and Jackson and our inability to stop Petracca and Oliver waltzing out of the middle we were like the boy with his finger in the dike.

Yeah I’m not yet hurting like after a close loss. It’s more disappointment than anything right now. Disappointment and loss of trust and faith. It’s gonna take a fair bit for this team to gain that back. Our last three weeks of the home and away season and tonight’s second half just prove we don’t quite have our shit together yet. This midfield should be smashing everyone else’s, yet it randomly rolls over and doesn’t give a whimper. That needs to stop.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 01:41 AM
Worst day in my 42 years as a member.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2021, 01:44 AM

97 and 09 hurt way more for me. But the disappointment tonight is greater. We need to be better. No denying that. We’ve got a lot of work to do this off-season but we’ll never get tonight back. Laid a big fat stinking egg. Covid has thrown up all sorts of shit and this is another weird one. Never seen a gf performance like it. It’s why I’m putting an asterisk on this season :cool:

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 01:50 AM
97 and 09 hurt way more for me. But the disappointment tonight is greater. We need to be better. No denying that. We’ve got a lot of work to do this off-season but we’ll never get tonight back. Laid a big fat stinking egg. Covid has thrown up all sorts of shit and this is another weird one. Never seen a gf performance like it. It’s why I’m putting an asterisk on this season :cool:

For me.

This is way way worse.

We had it in the bag a fair chunk of that third qtr and they arsed a few goals to entries.

Dogs fans are really taking it well it's a little offputting.

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 01:50 AM

Not even close. In 1989 we nearly died. I though our club was gone. In 1997 we lost the unlosable. In 1998 we rocked up to the MCG as favourites on home soil with all the learnings of 1997 and we got flogged. In 2009 we lost another agonising Prelim. In 2010 we were up against the same team at HT and got blown away in the third quarter.

At the end of 2014 our CEO, Coach and Captain all departed and it felt like the entire club was imploding. There appeared to be no hope.

Things are never as good as the appear. Things are never as bad as they appear.

josie
26-09-2021, 01:53 AM
Josie.

We were so much better this is all horseshit.

WHAT THE FK WENT WRONG?

Where was Libba, Naughts, Bont et al.

Why are we so happy to be second best?

I’m not happy to be second best. It sucks. Our much vaunted midfield let us down big time in a similar manner to Bombers match however tonight’s loss was I think in part being outclassed by some star players and lack of a competitive ruck combo. Macrae, Libba and Bont are all guns but none of them are quick.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 01:55 AM
I’m not happy to be second best. It sucks. Our much vaunted midfield let us down big time in a similar manner to Bombers match however tonight’s loss was I think in part being outclassed by some star players and lack of a competitive ruck combo. Macrae, Libba and Bont are all guns but none of them are quick.

Line up our mids against theirs we win.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-09-2021, 01:57 AM
At this moment, I so wish I wasn't so invested in football. It's a hell of a lot more painful than joyful.

Part of me says I need to delve into other areas so that a day/week/month/year isn't tarnished by what my footy club does. The other part of me is thankful for a distraction from a pretty difficult year.

I think what hurts most is we were 19 points up and had them on the ropes. Then we just... Rolled over. I'm not sure how that's possible? I've never seen anything like it from halfway through the third to the final second. Hell, take out the last quarter if you want, the capitulation in the third was horrifying.

I'm not sure if I'll have the year off from posting on here or use the forum to cope. It's a weird feeling at the moment.

KT31
26-09-2021, 02:00 AM
Just glad we couldn’t be there, think that takes a bit of the edge off it.
94 and 97 still really hurt, however after this really shit period we all needed a win.

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 02:00 AM
Line up our mids against theirs we win.

It doesn't matter what anyone will say. It isn't going to mend your pain at this moment. I feel your pain. None of know why the the third quarter capitulation happened in the manner it did. A few things went their way. They got a sniff. They played some amazing football. They could not miss. Everything worked for them for whatever reason.

However, what is a brutal fact is that Melbourne midfield has had their way with every other team for the entire season. They smashed Brisbane, Geelong and us in three finals. Every top four team they met in the home and away season they met the challenge. They are a great team. They only lost four games for the season. They deserve their Premiership.

Grantysghost
26-09-2021, 02:01 AM
At this moment, I so wish I wasn't so invested in football. It's a hell of a lot more painful than joyful.

Part of me says I need to delve into other areas so that a day/week/month/year isn't tarnished by what my footy club does. The other part of me is thankful for a distraction from a pretty difficult year.

I think what hurts most is we were 19 points up and had them on the ropes. Then we just... Rolled over. I'm not sure how that's possible? I've never seen anything like it from halfway through the third to the final second. Hell, take out the last quarter if you want, the capitulation in the third was horrifying.

I'm not sure if I'll have the year off from posting on here or use the forum to cope. It's a weird feeling at the moment.

Agree TBB, Ive never seen a capitulation like it.

Apparently good for some on here, for me..probably the worst day in my living dogs history (apologies to those who are ok with it)

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 02:02 AM
Agree TBB, Ive never seen a capitulation like it.

Apparently good for some on here, for me..probably the worst day in my living dogs history (apologies to those who are ok with it)

I don't think one person on this forum is OK with it. We are all hurting. Hurting badly. We all just deal with pain and hurt differently.

Vred
26-09-2021, 04:20 AM
I am gutted.

I feel sick.

I want to vomit.

I don't know what to say; what do i say?

We had it.

My pain is flowing from every Bulldogs orifice in my body.

This is worse than Prelim losses.

I'm struggling with my DOGS identity.

At first I thought you were drunken rambling and pissed off

The more I've sat here and sobered up the more I'm getting pissed off

hwo the *!*!*!*!ing *!*!*!*! did we let these *!*!*!*!ing campaigners kick 100 in a quarter and a half of football? HOW THE *!*!*!*! IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? Like seriously, what the *!*!*!*!. What the actual *!*!*!*!?

I'm so lost for words I don't even know where to begin. I know our backline is SHIT but 100 in a 40 minute stretch? What the *!*!*!*! happened with us mentally? I just don't get it

I want *!*!*!*!ing answers from teh club.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Here’s the Glass half empty…

I’m certain in 1961 people thought that we’d get a few other cracks at it soon enough.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 08:25 AM
At first I thought you were drunken rambling and pissed off

The more I've sat here and sobered up the more I'm getting pissed off

hwo the *!*!*!*!ing *!*!*!*! did we let these *!*!*!*!ing campaigners kick 100 in a quarter and a half of football? HOW THE *!*!*!*! IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? Like seriously, what the *!*!*!*!. What the actual *!*!*!*!?

I'm so lost for words I don't even know where to begin. I know our backline is SHIT but 100 in a 40 minute stretch? What the *!*!*!*! happened with us mentally? I just don't get it

I want *!*!*!*!ing answers from teh club.

It looks awful on paper, feel awful in the guts.

I’m never going to watch the replay, so will rely on others to unpack it all but those quick goals out the guts late in the 3rd were a knock out blow. The bloke’s literally dropped their heads. They knew they’d stuffed it and had nothing left. Bitterly disappointed in that, especially for Bont, Roarke and Adz who when the heat was right on, stood up and took their chances.

I have a few fingers to point, will unload, respectfully, in the appropriate thread.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Just saw a video of the bastards mocking us post game. That’s going to change my feelings pretty quickly.

GVGjr
26-09-2021, 08:34 AM
Just saw a video of the bastards mocking us post game. That’s going to change my feelings pretty quickly.

There is nothing like arrogant displays to redirect the focus.

comrade
26-09-2021, 08:34 AM

Bunch of pig scum flogs.

azabob
26-09-2021, 08:37 AM
There are a couple of examples where clubs get smashed in a GF and front up the next year.

But there are a heap more who don’t.

Melbourne 1988 & 2000
Power in 2008
GWS in 2018

We had them, our best player was the best player on the ground.

No way to spin it, it is a lost opportunity and I am so disappointed we didn’t take it with both hands.

We are not guaranteed anything in life. To piss a grand final away like that is a major major stain on our club.

Coaches, players, and the footy department should be feeling the same way.

If we do not review the 17 minute patch during the 3rd quarter post season or pre season with the players we will go backwards.

Hotdog60
26-09-2021, 08:46 AM

I'm with you Josie it was a great effort to get to the GF in the first place and I'm proud of the Guys for getting us there.
Melbourne have a dream run this year and haven't been tested with forced changes to their list and they were fresh coming in to the GF and who knows what niggles we were caring from the scrap to get there in the first place.
They hit us early and we fought back and in the process might have burnt all our petrol tickets to get there and once they got a shift in momentum we didn't have the gas to stop them.
I look forward to 2022 with a hope we can have a more normal year and may be fix a few gaps in our list with either new blood or a lift in the players we have.
If we don't get that extra ruck next year I hope we give Sweet a season to show he can play at the level as he should be coming into the age of when taller players start showing they can perform at the level.
It should also be the year JUH gets to play more regular so to the club thank you for 2021 and so many wins and getting us to the GF bring on 2022 I'm ready.

AshMac
26-09-2021, 09:25 AM
just hurts that we couldn't stem the bleeding and we crumbled way when it mattered most. could handle a smashing from the first bunce or a close loss - but to have them on the ropes and get beaten like that hurts.

the hardest part will be remaining calm when part time demons fans talk about this for the next 12 months.

Hotdog60
26-09-2021, 09:31 AM
just hurts that we couldn't stem the bleeding and we crumbled way when it mattered most. could handle a smashing from the first bunce or a close loss - but to have them on the ropes and get beaten like that hurts.

the hardest part will be remaining calm when part time demons fans talk about this for the next 12 months.

It does hurt and I'm flat this morning but what's done is done and the only thing we can do is get back on the horse and go one step further next year. I'm lucky that I'm up north and they are more interested in Rugby so I'm going to cop it on Monday from the odd Lions supporter but they didn't get there so it won't be that bad and then it will all be forgotten by Tuesday.

chef
26-09-2021, 09:41 AM
Well the suns come up and it's not the end if the world. At the end of the day we've just made the 2nd GF in my life time, yeah we didn't win but it was a he'll of a ride.

To me it's doesn't sting as much as it could have because we were just beaten by a better side on the day and we had a mare in the 2nd half. It's not a heartbreak loss that'll burn for years like 97, we just didn't deserve it.

Bring on 2022.

AshMac
26-09-2021, 09:51 AM
It does hurt and I'm flat this morning but what's done is done and the only thing we can do is get back on the horse and go one step further next year. I'm lucky that I'm up north and they are more interested in Rugby so I'm going to cop it on Monday from the odd Lions supporter but they didn't get there so it won't be that bad and then it will all be forgotten by Tuesday.

I’d love to cop it from lions supporters. Possibly the most satisfying conversation other than with Port fans.

G-Mo77
26-09-2021, 09:51 AM

Yeah, that kind of takes a bit away from it. I was genuinely happy for their supporters, after 2016 who am I to be bitter about someone else experiencing the same thing. Now I wish they lost by a point and went back to being irrelevant.

azabob
26-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Melbourne are my most hated club. Ever since they trolled JJ back in 2017 pre game.

Seeing that video makes me even more pissed off our blokes turned their toes up.

For a club that has done nothing in 50 odd years they are extremely self righteous and arrogant.

Now they have something to crow about, I just can’t deal with it.

AshMac
26-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Melbourne are my most hated club. Ever since they trolled JJ back in 2017 pre game.

Seeing that video makes me even more pissed off our blokes turned their toes up.

For a club that has done nothing in 50 odd years they are extremely self righteous and arrogant.

Now they have something to crow about, I just can’t deal with it.

What video is this?

whythelongface
26-09-2021, 09:59 AM
There are a couple of examples where clubs get smashed in a GF and front up the next year.

But there are a heap more who don’t.

Melbourne 1988 & 2000
Power in 2008
GWS in 2018

We had them, our best player was the best player on the ground.

No way to spin it, it is a lost opportunity and I am so disappointed we didn’t take it with both hands.

We are not guaranteed anything in life. To piss a grand final away like that is a major major stain on our club.

Coaches, players, and the footy department should be feeling the same way.

If we do not review the 17 minute patch during the 3rd quarter post season or pre season with the players we will go backwards.

Good examples but in none of those game were the losing team 19 points up midway through the third. This gives me hope that we will back up and have the talent to do so. There are adjustments needed on our list but all in all our list is sound and will be thereabouts for a number of years yet. It may not feel like it today, after a 78 point loss, but there is no way they would have beaten us by that margin if this was a normal season. There really is not much difference between us except for those damn centre clearances.

azabob
26-09-2021, 10:02 AM
What video is this?

Melbourne players celebrating and mocking our celebrations after the port Adelaide win.

Angelopateglio posted the link in the game day thread (I think)

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that kind of takes a bit away from it. I was genuinely happy for their supporters, after 2016 who am I to be bitter about someone else experiencing the same thing. Now I wish they lost by a point and went back to being irrelevant.

Was too much to expect that these pig scum pricks would have a bit of class. I would encourage us all to not behave like Swans fans and sook about it for years though. I’m not happy for them or there fans, they don’t need that from me, they just won a flag. That’s enough.

When I was playing, if that got leaked, next crack at the opponent would have been a blood bath. Just hope our boys understand that they put themselves in a position to be mocked and find another few gears to get on the other side of the equation.

Topdog
26-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Gutted, just have no motivation to even move today.

Daughter of the West
26-09-2021, 10:11 AM
I said to husband last night, I wish I didn’t have so much invested in a stupid game.

I would have preferred to lose to Port. That was f**kin’ horrible.

The escapism of the last few weeks was nice, but what a crash back to reality. And to those f**kin’ smug Demon pr*cks…

AshMac
26-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Melbourne players celebrating and mocking our celebrations after the port Adelaide win.

Angelopateglio posted the link in the game day thread (I think)

Just watched the vid and think I’ve missed something - why is that a slight on us?

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 10:21 AM
Shattered.
I feel like putting on every social media outlet…”I hope all those Melb members who voted for the hawks/dees merger in 1996 is enjoying this hypocritical premiership”…but I’m better than that ;)

Ghost Dog
26-09-2021, 10:26 AM
start thinking about next season already. Into it!

Happy Days
26-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Yeah I’m pretty flat. I have no idea what happened after we dominated the game for a quarter and a half but there’s absolutely no chance I’m gonna look into it to find out.

The Dees ripping off that celebration has pissed me off so bad what is actually wrong with them. I think I need a detox.

Mofra
26-09-2021, 11:20 AM
I really felt worse after prelim losses.
I feel like our problems are obvious and easily solvable.

bornadog
26-09-2021, 11:48 AM
I refuse to watch any footy shows, or read the papers and I am struggling reading some comments on hear (not the fault of anyone, just don't want to know about it).

My biggest issue was not just the loss, but the margin.

azabob
26-09-2021, 11:53 AM
I really felt worse after prelim losses.
I feel like our problems are obvious and easily solvable.

They may well be, but damn, Grand Finals are so hard to make.

It seems every year our problems are solvable, for once I’d like us to solve them!

azabob
26-09-2021, 11:55 AM
I refuse to watch any footy shows, or read the papers and I am struggling reading some comments on hear (not the fault of anyone, just don't want to know about it).

I’m deleting Twitter and Instagram so I stop punishing myself.

Reading woof is cathartic, as we all are hurting and dealing in different ways - which is what I need right now.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 11:56 AM

The margin is the hardest thing to grapple with, considering how quickly it got away from us. Tells a very different story to what I thought I was watching.

Doc26
26-09-2021, 11:57 AM

Same BD. Not up to any form of media and socials at this time.

I don’t want to read or see anything externally that will further spike my emotions.
The completely biased channel 7 special comments were more than I could handle.

We did capitulate midway through the third. Whilst the margin will haunt us for many years, for mine it’s more about identifying and addressing how our tank ran completely dry in the 3rd.

soupman
26-09-2021, 12:05 PM
I am super flat today.

The margin sucks but that was more about how we looked visibly defeated after those horror few minutes to finish the 3rd. The last quarter you could see half our guys were going half pace and there would be no fightback. That was pretty disappointing and left a bit of a sour taste for me.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2021, 12:06 PM

Yes. It’s the margin and how we just rolled over. A loss hurts no matter what but if Melbourne outplayed us and we gave it a shot then so be it. Tip your hat. But we got blown out because we refused to fight and do anything about their clearance dominance. That’s what I’m disappointed with. It’s a grand final for crying out loud. What we dishes up half way through the 3rd term was reminiscent of a bottom side in the middle of July.

MrMahatma
26-09-2021, 12:12 PM
So flat. 3 goals up in the 3rd!! I mean… I just can’t believe it.

I’m really really sad, frustrated and annoyed.

comrade
26-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Our guys lost a lot of trust from me last night.

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 12:19 PM
So flat. 3 goals up in the 3rd!! I mean… I just can’t believe it.

I’m really really sad, frustrated and annoyed.

Same. At 19 points up I was honestly thinking we were up to our necks in the game. A few more goals for the 3rd and we could’ve been that 4 goal buffer we would’ve desired at 3 quarter time. What happened from there are things of nightmares. I was sitting there completely shell shocked how that last 3 mins of the 3rd obliterated our whole season. Our belief evaporated in a click of a finger. It was gone. It was over. The candle had been blown out. I couldn’t bring myself to watch it after their very early goal in the 4th. I couldn’t take the disappointment anymore, and then seeing the final score this morning, I was just in complete shock. 9 goals to 1 in the final quarter of a GF. I’m so glad I didn’t see it. Now I have to deal with my Melb mate who is over there, celebrating by his Facebook posts, while I’m here in tassie thinking what might have been.
Flat is not the 4 letter word I’d use.

GVGjr
26-09-2021, 12:23 PM

Like a few others have said, the last quarter, so therfor the final margin, is a bit irrelevant to me. More often than not one team succumbs late in the last quarter when they realise the hope is gone.

I want to talk about why our midfield didn't adjust and the mindset that didn't move to a more defensive set-up when Melbourne got on a roll. I also want to talk about why the backline couldn't defend better during the onslaught.

I won't be listening too much to the media but perhaps they may answer those questions for me.

I'm dirty that we didn't play well when it counted but the benchmark I had at the start of the season for the team was a finals win and we did so much better than that. It's shocking the way we capitulated but the actual margin doesn't mean that much to me because its more about how we dropped our bundle and succumbed so easily.

I'd rather discuss this with my WOOF brothers and sisters at the moment.

comrade
26-09-2021, 12:26 PM
I'd like to believe one more goal to push it out to 24+ would have broken them but we coughed up ONE HUNDRED POINTS to seven from the 16 min mark of the 3rd. The lack of fight, the capitulation. That is just horrendous, shattering stuff.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Our guys lost a lot of trust from me last night.

Yep.

I know it's fresh, but that game killed a bit of my passion for footy.

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Like a few others have said, the last quarter, so therfor the final margin, is a bit irrelevant to me. More often than not one team succumbs late in the last quarter when they realise the hope is gone.

I want to talk about why our midfield didn't adjust and the mindset that didn't move to a more defensive set-up when Melbourne got on a roll. I also want to talk about why the backline couldn't defend better during the onslaught.

I won't be listening too much to the media but perhaps they may answer those questions for me.

I'm dirty that we didn't play well when it counted but the benchmark I had at the start of the season for the team was a finals win and we did so much better than that. It's shocking the way we capitulated but the actual margin doesn't mean that much to me because its more about how we dropped our bundle and succumbed so easily.

I’ll go first with the backline.
When Melb burst out of the centre like they did, a slow backline won’t stand a change. Wood and Cordy wouldn’t help this at all. Keath did not look 100% to me. A few times I saw him touch that hamstring area. Melb got 7 goals directly from centre clearances to goal without us touching the ball. The backline had no chance.

comrade
26-09-2021, 12:30 PM
I’ll go first with the backline.
When Melb burst out of the centre like they did, a slow backline won’t stand a change. Wood and Cordy wouldn’t help this at all. Keath did not look 100% to me. A few times I saw him touch that hamstring area. Melb got 7 goals directly from centre clearances to goal without us touching the ball. The backline had no chance.

Our backline had no chance.

GVGjr
26-09-2021, 12:31 PM
I'd like to believe one more goal to push it out to 24+ would have broken them but we coughed up ONE HUNDRED POINTS to seven from the 16 min mark of the 3rd. The lack of fight, the capitulation. That is just horrendous, shattering stuff.

It just doesn't do this club a service to get a pants down thrashing like this.
They say you can learn more from a loss than a win but this wasn't just a loss it was downright embarrassing.

Note sure how the club will dissect this but it needs a thorough review.

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 12:34 PM
I read on here that someone posted that Bevo said some internal thing had been a problem around those last 3 weeks. I wonder if it reared its ugly head again between the prelim win and last night. Clutching at straws maybe, but without knowing exactly what this problem was, I guess I can ask the question.

macca
26-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Our ruck problem got exposed by a springy young, athletic and skilled ruck and explosive mid opposition , with no mid field defense when the leak was on

Goodwin is a good coach from the article:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/revealed-how-max-gawn-quoted-neale-daniher-in-inspiring-half-time-address-20210926-p58usf.html

“ Gawn said he was “forever in debt” to Dean Bailey, the first coach he played under who died of cancer in 2013. “He drafted a tall lanky kid who probably shouldn’t have been drafted and gave me a debut as well.″⁣

Gawn credited his young ruck partner Luke Jackson for helping turn the tide in the third quarter in the ruck and said coach Simon Goodwin had been calm at half-time, as the Demons made changes to their approach.

“Western Bulldogs the way they play - they were switching a bit more, they hadn’t been switching. We adjusted and worked on their switch a little bit more. And our mids weren’t working hard enough at all.

“Goody was cool, calm head, was super. Then we chucked ‘Jacko’ in the ruck the majority of the third quarter, he seemed like he had a bit of spring compared to Stef Martin. Me and Stef are sort of workhorses, where Jacko’s got a bit of spring, that sort of changed it a little bit.”

Go_Dogs
26-09-2021, 02:59 PM

I’m the same - the margin didn’t mean all that much. It just got away from us and I was probably just disengaged during the last so it didn’t impact me much. 100% the issue in the 3rd to lose as much ground as we did as fast as we did, and not have any way to arrest the momentum. Even giving away a free kick and getting another number back would’ve been better than them waltzing out for goal after goal.

MrMahatma
26-09-2021, 03:08 PM
As the day has gone on I’ve started to process things. I still doubt I’ll get much sleep tonight but I’m trying to take the positives.

We came 2nd. And you have to be in it to win it, and that means maybe you lose it. What is comforting is that we will still improve next season, and I’d expect us to get some talent into the team over the off season. To be the best you really need to fix weaknesses and ours are at least clear and in many ways easy to fix. There’s no reason we should fall off a cliff next year.

I’m gutted we lost. To win a lot of flags you really want to take the chances when you get them. But Hawks, Lions, Eagles, Swans, Cats… they’ve all lost GFs. So… it happens, and you’ve gotta get back on with the task of the next season pretty quickly.

Finally, what a fun season this has been. The pain is real right now, but what a joyride it’s been for most of the year. I love this club and thank them for th best value for money entertainment anywhere.

Go dogs!

angelopetraglia
26-09-2021, 03:11 PM
As the day has gone on I’ve started to process things. I still doubt I’ll get much sleep tonight but I’m trying to take the positives.

We came 2nd. And you have to be in it to win it, and that means maybe you lose it. What is comforting is that we will still improve next season, and I’d expect us to get some talent into the team over the off season. To be the best you really need to fix weaknesses and ours are at least clear and in many ways easy to fix. There’s no reason we should fall off a cliff next year.

I’m gutted we lost. To win a lot of flags you really want to take the chances when you get them. But Hawks, Lions, Eagles, Swans, Cats… they’ve all lost GFs. So… it happens, and you’ve gotta get back on with the task of the next season pretty quickly.

Finally, what a fun season this has been. The pain is real right now, but what a joyride it’s been for most of the year. I love this club and thank them for th best value for money entertainment anywhere.

Go dogs!

Great perspective and well said.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-09-2021, 03:57 PM
For me, we can add all these extra pieces like a ruck and KPD, but it’ll mean nothing if the mental fragility of our mids isn’t fixed. This is our biggest issue. I don’t know what’s going on with them but their inability or lack of desire to defend is appalling. Can’t stick tackles. Won’t adjust or sacrifice their games. Bonts probably the greatest ever but is his leadership strong enough? Do we have enough strong leadership ala Boyd/Morris to call out shit when they see it and adjust on the fly?

DOG GOD
26-09-2021, 04:13 PM
For me, we can add all these extra pieces like a ruck and KPD, but it’ll mean nothing if the mental fragility of our mids isn’t fixed. This is our biggest issue. I don’t know what’s going on with them but their inability or lack of desire to defend is appalling. Can’t stick tackles. Won’t adjust or sacrifice their games. Bonts probably the greatest ever but is his leadership strong enough? Do we have enough strong leadership ala Boyd/Morris to call out shit when they see it and adjust on the fly?

We do. His name is Wallis, and he’s not in our plans anymore.

The bulldog tragician
26-09-2021, 04:24 PM
The pain is real, in answer to the original question. So is pride, and hope, and devastation and anger … and resignation that maybe Melbourne is a high quality if unlikable team and this was always their flag to win.

I don’t know why we can’t feel all those things at once. I certainly do. I’m hurting for our club, for the embarrassment the players must feel. I’m hurting for all of us fans for whom lockdown has taken a terrible toll, and for whom our club gave us joy for this season. I’m also proud that despite weeks of getting shoved from pillar to post, missing any week of respite and a bye weekend, and being the victim of poor planning on the part of the AFL having the toughest most arduous path to finals that anyone could have, we pulled out three great finals and handled ourselves well in that time.

I’m proud of Roarke Smith, what a story of perseverance. I’m devastated for Bont who carried us like a god on his shoulders for so much of the year, nearly single handedly won us the game and then had to do the worst job in footy, stand at the podium and congratulate your opponents even while feeling the pain of that loss. I’m sorry for those who didn’t play well. I’m frustrated and angry that the midfield issue we’d seen whenever we were shaky in matches, or in those last three losses, didn’t get addressed. I was revolted by the Melbourne mocking video, I burn at the arrogance of our opponents even while I know that our capitulation has brought us scorn.

I want us to improve, I want to feel 2016 again, I’m not satisfied that we got there and that’s enough. I’m not a happy clapper but I’m not a “we are miles off it” person, I saw and know our best, even in that quarter and a half, is terrific and electrifying but I still want answers and solutions to why it went so horribly wrong. I’ve seen worse losses, many worse seasons and it’s all part of being a fan and belonging to our club and part of what will make it even better when next we lift the cup.

Topdog
26-09-2021, 04:54 PM
I don't even know what the final margin was. Had to turn it off after they kicked their 10th in a row.

SonofScray
26-09-2021, 04:57 PM
A great perspective. There is a lot of stuff to unpack in that loss.

I had a question all year that I thought could only be answered in finals. The question was are we the team that plays joyful, manic, irresistible footy or the one that looks soft and lacks cohesion?

I got an answer in this finals series and it as A with an *

I know our best is good enough, on our day. I’m not certain on how I know when it is our day though, action research continues in 2022.

bornadog
26-09-2021, 06:18 PM
I don't even know what the final margin was. Had to turn it off after they kicked their 10th in a row.

Haha, I did the same. I didn't want to see those pricks celebrating, or hear that crummy song.

LostDog
26-09-2021, 06:38 PM
I left the game early, had a cocky band wagon jumping demons supporter in our area stirring people up

Mantis
26-09-2021, 07:43 PM
I’m still trying to process what the *!*!*!*! happened in those last 45min last night… I’ve never seen a game turn so quickly. One minute I’m starting to think we’re going to win and then BANG we’re 4 goals down and despondent.

I feel apathetic to it all and whilst I feel quite measured about a footy game and are to put it in context… but the last 18 months has been so bloody hard and this just feels like another kick in the teeth.

I’ll watch with interest on the fallout and how we respond…. We have lots of good people at the club so they need to get to work to get us to take the next step.

Twodogs
26-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Was too much to expect that these pig scum pricks would have a bit of class. I would encourage us all to not behave like Swans fans and sook about it for years though. I’m not happy for them or there fans, they don’t need that from me, they just won a flag. That’s enough.

When I was playing, if that got leaked, next crack at the opponent would have been a blood bath. Just hope our boys understand that they put themselves in a position to be mocked and find another few gears to get on the other side of the equation.

Agree. We live rent free in their heads. They were thinking about us when they should have been thinking about themselves and celebrating their Premiership. Next time we play them I hope we sit half a dozen of them on their arses and Libba goes full beast mode.

westbulldog
27-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Having overcome all the obstacles placed in our way the Club can be proud of making it the the Grand Final. It was a wonderful effort to get there, 16 clubs didn't. Credit and thanks goes to everyone involved from players to management, coaches, trainers, admin staff - everyone. It may have simply been a bridge too far for us on the day after all we had been through, we were there for 2 1/2 quarters. It seems in hindsight that the three late season losses cost us dearly. I was fortunate enough to be at the game (thanks to Merantau and his family) so I will share my observations for what they are worth.

Melbourne were ready for us and applied first 1/4 pressure, they cut off any smooth avenues out of defence. I suspect there was Choko Williams influence there.
Bailey Williams fumbled and gifted them 2 first 1/4 goals but he is a fine player, he had an excellent season and those errors were uncharacteristic.
Our second 1/4 was sublime, inspired and led by the best Captain in the AFL and Adam Treloar.
When Melbourne came back late in the 3rd 1/4 it was significant, and suicidal, that Bontempelli was on the bench.
When their avalanche was in its infancy I didn't see any change of focus or direction to stop it, no extra players were deployed in defence. Coaching failure.
When their avalanche was in full swing nobody stood up, nobody, so the margin blew out, it was catastrophic, bewildering, disgraceful, embarrassing and demands an uncompromising dissection of their every goal in that period.
Wood, Martin, Hannan and Cordy were ineffectual, got towelled up comprehensively and should not imo be a part of 2022.
Weightman was a rabbit in the headlights on the big stage, he will learn from that and deliver in the future.
Alex Keath was not moving freely and was not fully fit imo.
JJ has been a great player and clubman for us but the trade table may beckon.
The list players not involved were watching from a room at the back of level 1, not far from where I was sitting. Ryan Gardner must have been spewing.
If the influence of Gawn and Jackson doesn't spur us to recruit an A grade ruck nothing will. Gawn was kicking for goal at one end and literally a minute later was competing in defence. He is incredibly mobile and skilled.
We do need an A grade KPD, most woofers are saying that.
Petracca deserved the Norm Smith medal he is immensely strong and skilled, only the Bont could go with him.
Fritsch had a once in a lifetime day out, it pissed me off, he isn't that good imo, it reminded me of Gary Rowan beating us after the siren at Geelong.

Go Dogs in 2022 !!

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 11:45 AM
Great stuff westbulldog.

I've got to disagree on one point and maybe woof needs to move past a general dislike for him: Fritsch is a good player. Has a great toolbox and would be awesome on our forward line.

azabob
27-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Great stuff westbulldog.

I've got to disagree on one point and maybe woof needs to move past a general dislike for him: Fritsch is a good player. Has a great toolbox and would be awesome on our forward line.

Fritsch is a really really good player. Arrogant as all get out, but up there with Tory Dickson for footy IQ and goal kicking accuracy.

1eyedog
27-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Fritter is awesome. Been good all year.

macca
27-09-2021, 12:43 PM
Fritsch is a really really good player. Arrogant as all get out, but up there with Tory Dickson for footy IQ and goal kicking accuracy.

Fristch is a good player , and good enough to hate when he hurts you in games

His also got the best max headroom hair style in the league . The resemblance is uncanny !

I don’t know how to post images due to size limitation by here is link :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Fristch is a good player , and good enough to hate when he hurts you in games

His also got the best max headroom hair style in the league . The resemblance is uncanny !

I don’t know how to post images due to size limitation by here is link :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom

https://i.postimg.cc/YjcCXM5B/Butt-head.png (https://postimages.org/)

I see your Max Headroom and I raise you a Butthead.

The Underdog
27-09-2021, 01:02 PM

His scoring output would be my ideal outcome for Cody Weightman. Obviously while being less of a cock about it

G-Mo77
27-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Great stuff westbulldog.

And all they talk about is Pickett this and Pickett that. Not sure who had him Saturday, think it was Wood, and only given half the amount of work put into him that we did with Pickett.

bornadog
27-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Great stuff westbulldog.

The dislike is his punchable head, not his talent

And all they talk about is Pickett this and Pickett that. Not sure who had him Saturday, think it was Wood, and only given half the amount of work put into him that we did with Pickett.

Picket had two kicks and two handballs.

I wonder if Gardner could have played on Fritsch. He has killed us every time.

Mantis
27-09-2021, 02:11 PM

Pretty sure Duryea was on Pickett for large parts, but it's hard to know when watching on TV.

Pickett created a couple of goals though with his pressure on Truck forcing him to make a crucial error in Q1 and then he placed a big block on Dunks when Trac dribbled through a goal at the end of Q3 when the game was in the balance.

G-Mo77
27-09-2021, 03:36 PM
Pretty sure Duryea was on Pickett for large parts, but it's hard to know when watching on TV.

Pickett created a couple of goals though with his pressure on Truck forcing him to make a crucial error in Q1 and then he placed a big block on Dunks when Trac dribbled through a goal at the end of Q3 when the game was in the balance.

I was talking about who had Fritsch. I reread my post and it doesn't make much sense.

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 06:53 PM
The dislike is his punchable head, not his talent

I mean, I get your point but westbulldog literally just said Fritsch "wasn't that good".

chef
27-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Fritsch would be our best forward. He's a gun.

The bulldog tragician
27-09-2021, 08:33 PM
My brother bravely rewatched the match and said Wood was his opponent and that 4 of his goals were from virtually uncontested marks where Easton lagged miles behind.

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 08:41 PM
My brother bravely rewatched the match and said Wood was his opponent and that 4 of his goals were from virtually uncontested marks where Easton lagged miles behind.

I don't want to get too sucked into the debate over SSEW except to say a number of his gaols, Usain Bolt wouldn't have stopped.

Mantis
27-09-2021, 08:51 PM
I don't want to get too sucked into the debate over SSEW except to say a number of his gaols, Usain Bolt wouldn't have stopped.

I'll get sucked into the debate then and understand your predicament, but SSEW got badly shown up in 2 of our finals so the question needs to be asked on what he offers us going forward if he can't lockdown on the opposition's most dangerous mid sized forward?

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 08:55 PM
I'll get sucked into the debate then and understand your predicament, but SSEW got badly shown up in 2 of our finals so the question needs to be asked on what he offers us going forward if he can't lockdown on the opposition's most dangerous mid sized forward?

Oh no I agree that he should probably retire, I mean I didn't want to get sucked into the conversation thinking my natural bias mean I'm defending him.

Only that Fritsch got silver service on a number of occasions.

That being said, I don't think SSEW was that bad in the GF and no way in hell am I going back to verify that claim.

Mantis
27-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Oh no I agree that he should probably retire, I mean I didn't want to get sucked into the conversation thinking my natural bias mean I'm defending him.

Only that Fritsch got silver service on a number of occasions.

That being said, I don't think SSEW was that bad in the GF and no way in hell am I going back to verify that claim.

Fair call.

I'm going to do it... in my own mind I still don't really know what the hell happened on Saturday so I want to watch it again... once I've done it and made peace with it I'll be burn the tape, but I'm hoping that part of the cleansing process is to watch it again, understand from my own perspective where it went wrong and then move on... happy to share my thoughts.;)

And agree that SSEW probably wasn't that bad, but he definitely wasn't good and with his history of injuries it's time we looked elsewhere as it's going to be another tough journey to get back to this position again... and I have no confidence his body will get him there.

EasternWest
27-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Fair call.

I'm going to do it... in my own mind I still don't really know what the hell happened on Saturday so I want to watch it again... once I've done it and made peace with it I'll be burn the tape, but I'm hoping that part of the cleansing process is to watch it again, understand from my own perspective where it went wrong and then move on... happy to share my thoughts.

I salute your intestinal fortitude. You're a better man than me.

Bulldog Revolution
27-09-2021, 09:29 PM
I salute your intestinal fortitude. You're a better man than me.

I certainly can’t stomach it right now and I’m not sure I’ll ever feel like watching it

DOG GOD
27-09-2021, 09:41 PM
I watched 1 min of the last quarter live.
1000% glad I didn’t see the rest.
Never want to.
Seeing that they kicked 9-1 goals was enough to know we were obliterated.

Happy Days
27-09-2021, 10:33 PM
Yeah I’m having a tough time with this. Lockdown sort of forces you to get wrapped up in footy too much and now I’m just depressed by the spectre of it. I can’t do list management chats and ruminating about defensive work at stoppages so think I might dip for a bit.

Scraggers
27-09-2021, 11:04 PM
Normally I will log-on to WOOF and read thread after thread. Lapping up all the info I can get. Then Twitter, Insta and any other social media with info about the game. Win or lose. This one is tough. Chatting with EasternWest yesterday all I could say was I’m flat. I still am. But my son giving me a huge hug as Melbourne lifted the Cup and thanking me for taking him to his first GF … kind of numbs it a bit.

Bulldog Revolution
27-09-2021, 11:20 PM
Yeah I’m having a tough time with this. Lockdown sort of forces you to get wrapped up in footy too much and now I’m just depressed by the spectre of it. I can’t do list management chats and ruminating about defensive work at stoppages so think I might dip for a bit.

Completely understand - I’ve done exactly the same thing, thrown myself into a glorious September bulldogs run, because what else is there to do in lockdown?

And so losing has felt pretty damn deflating particularly for supporters like us who know we care more than we should or is perhaps sensible.

We all deal with this stuff in our own way. I need some of the list management stuff to distract me and then I’ll watch the best and fairest on Wednesday but maybe take a break after that.

soupman
27-09-2021, 11:21 PM
Normally I will log-on to WOOF and read thread after thread. Lapping up all the info I can get. Then Twitter, Insta and any other social media with info about the game. Win or lose. This one is tough. Chatting with EasternWest yesterday all I could say was I’m flat. I still am. But my son giving me a huge hug as Melbourne lifted the Cup and thanking me for taking him to his first GF … kind of numbs it a bit.

I suspect you are in the majority.

I don't know about others but Woof has felt like a bit f a ghost town to me post Grand Final. Normally we are seething on here after a loss and the post count goes through the roof, discussion ramped up today but yesterday must've been the quietest "day following a game" in years.

*Don't disprove this with stats please Gary.

Twodogs
27-09-2021, 11:42 PM

I don't know about others but Woof has felt like a bit f a ghost town to me post Grand Final. Normally we are seething on here after a loss and the post count goes through the roof, discussion ramped up today but yesterday must've been the quietest "day following a game" in years.

Ah I see. You want me to do it, don't you?

westbulldog
28-09-2021, 12:16 AM
I mean, I get your point but westbulldog literally just said Fritsch "wasn't that good".

To be exact I said "he isn't that good imo" not that he "wasn't that good". He had a free reign, a blank cheque and nobody was seemingly accountable for him, unbelievable in a GF. What was required imo was close and hard physical checking and that did not happen.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2021, 12:35 AM

Completely understand - I’ve done exactly the same thing, thrown myself into a glorious September bulldogs run, because what else is there to do in lockdown?

And so losing has felt pretty damn deflating particularly for supporters like us who know we care more than we should or is perhaps sensible.

We all deal with this stuff in our own way. I need some of the list management stuff to distract me and then I’ll watch the best and fairest on Wednesday but maybe take a break after that.

GVGjr
28-09-2021, 01:33 AM

Subtle challenge accepted :)

WOOF members logging onto the site of GF day was less than the other finals days. About 15% down
WOOF members logging onto the site the day after GF day was less than the day after the other finals days. Again by about 15% down

GF day post numbers were lower than the other finals on the day by about 10%
The day after GF day post numbers were lower than the day after other finals by about 40%

Verdict, your observations are correct.

MrMahatma
28-09-2021, 05:28 AM
Wide awake a 4am thinking about…

What if Truck didn’t turn over 2 and we got out to 5 goals up?
What if we only went into the last qtr 1 goal down?
What if we were able to kill a couple of minutes to end the 3rd?

Blegh…

comrade
28-09-2021, 08:45 AM

Blegh…

I’ve done the same thing the last 2 nights.

SonofScray
28-09-2021, 08:54 AM

Blegh…

Yeah, those early nerves really hurt in retrospect. That second quarter looked every bit the knock out blow, but they hung on and got the flash KO.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2021, 10:12 AM

Blegh…

To make it easier on you we did lose by 74pts. I understand there are a lot of what if moments but we got slaughtered. Who’s to say we had anything left anyway? We may as well just say what if we played better? Close losses can be torture but we were blown out.

Danjul
28-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Not feeling much pain. I didn’t expect to be watching the Dogs in a GF and thoroughly enjoyed the journey from first game to get there. I enjoyed the first half and prefer to view the second half as a valuable set of lessons which can get us back there next year.

I am expecting a good 2022. We have a few things to improve, and I can’t see why they won’t be.

mjp
28-09-2021, 12:01 PM
To make it easier on you we did lose by 74pts. I understand there are a lot of what if moments but we got slaughtered. Who’s to say we had anything left anyway? We may as well just say what if we played better? Close losses can be torture but we were blown out.

Yeah...but once Melbourne got the first in the last q, the game was done. The margin blew out 'cos margins blow out in grand finals...one team is celebrating and one team is done.

We can try and say 'it was a blow-out' or write it off as 'one of those days', but for the majority of the match it actually wasn't like that...it was seeing and sawing and backing and forthing and 'something' changed.

I heard Petracca talking about a mindset change at half time? Please. We dominated the first 10 mins of the 3rd as well...we have all seen what happened...

mjp
28-09-2021, 12:04 PM
To be exact I said "he isn't that good imo" not that he "wasn't that good". He had a free reign, a blank cheque and nobody was seemingly accountable for him, unbelievable in a GF. What was required imo was close and hard physical checking and that did not happen.

But...we NEVER really defend that way. I know it's frustrating but it really is a team defence approach and Fritsch is the worst sort of player to defend that way (because he seemingly fits ALL size and shape matchups which means he doesn't really fit any).

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Yeah...but once Melbourne got the first in the last q, the game was done. The margin blew out 'cos margins blow out in grand finals...one team is celebrating and one team is done.

We can try and say 'it was a blow-out' or write it off as 'one of those days', but for the majority of the match it actually wasn't like that...it was seeing and sawing and backing and forthing and 'something' changed.

I heard Petracca talking about a mindset change at half time? Please. We dominated the first 10 mins of the 3rd as well...we have all seen what happened...

Yeah I see this angle for sure. But…for me it’s not like a bounce of the ball here, or a missed contest there. It was repeated centre clearance exits that we didn’t adjust to. And this isn’t even the first game we’ve seen our mids not adjust either. I believe we could have won the game. No doubt. I guess I’m just completely mystified as to how and why we didn’t expect or respond to the centre bounce situation and why it’s been an ongoing issue prior to this game.

Ozza
28-09-2021, 12:44 PM
I've only jumped on now for the first time since a day or two before the grand final. And haven't read a great deal to be honest. No doubt we are all hurting.

Immediately after the game, although sad, we had a couple of bottles of red and actually re-watched (albeit background) most of the game again. I wanted to face up to watching it again. I actually found yesterday (Monday) was the hardest day, after the dust had settled and some deeper analysis was done. And the realisation that its so hard to get back there.

The margin blow out really hurt. I didn't think we deserved that after being a chance to win. Had we have kicked the next goal to put us 25 points up, then maybe it blows out our way. And perhaps the blow out was impacted by us having already gone to the well several times this season and we had no more to give once the result was a foregone conclusion.

Its a really low feeling this week. But there is plenty from the season to be proud of as supporters, and plenty to be optimistic about into the future. I'm not one feeling like we need enormous list and strategy changes - but we obviously need to look at the ruck. The age profile of our list is great - and I think the loss will fuel us rather than diminish us for next year.

I'm not at all of the view I've heard from some opposition supporters over the years that 'you're better off losing the prelim, as a GF lost hurts too much'. It was a great month that didn't finish how we wanted, but we are the envy of 16 clubs and I honestly think we are a fair way in front of most of them.

Bulldog Joe
28-09-2021, 02:51 PM
I have just logged on for the first time since pre-game.

I do feel the pain and it was exacerbated by my partner telling me to be happy for Melbourne, because ...blah..blah..blah and her son barracks for them.

I don't begrudge Melbourne supporters enjoying the result but....

The margin is irrelevant as we were like the marathon runner who hits the wall and just couldn't finish. We were actually right in and I feel 1 or 2 goals our way in the third would have broken them.

What is most irritating is how we lost it, with the centre clearance stuff.

So many on here have been critical of Bevo (me definitely), for his disdain for the actual position of ruck, but that has been our big weakness.

How much is the lack of development from Tim English as an actual ruckman been impacted by Bevo's desire for him to be an additional midfielder?

I can see us now recruiting another second rate ruckman to further undermine English, when we really need him to step up and use his size and athleticism to be a top 5 ruck.

We also need to better defend the centre clearance situation. Allowing opposition mids to waltz out the front and lead to so many direct scores is an impossible situation.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2021, 03:32 PM

That was the way I saw it - they got the first two of the last and then our players just hit the wall, they all collectively knew it was over and then we were really done, and the score just went 'bang'! All the players running around knowing they were playing in a losing grand final etc

After everything we'd done in the past month including the travel and quarantining, we just knew we were cooked 6 goals down in the last - so the final result whilst large wasn't really a reflection of the overall contest

Danjul
28-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Bulldog Joe.

How much is the lack of development from Tim English as an actual ruckman been impacted by Bevo's desire for him to be an additional midfielder?

when we really need him to step up and use his size and athleticism to be a top 5 ruck.

I have never seen English as a ruckman. He has the wrong proportions. Yes he is tall. But his general characteristics are of a champion key position player. I would be happy to never see him in the ruck again, except for the occasional throw in near the behind post. I want to see him develop into a 350 goal forward like some other tall players who are nowhere near as mobile as him. For example King at St Kilda, I think he is 2 cm shorter than English and has kicked 60 goals in 2 seasons while finding time 20 hitouts.

What we have needed for years is a ruckman, and we need to send out someone who understand What they are to find one.

FrediKanoute
28-09-2021, 11:58 PM
Here’s the Glass half empty…

I’m certain in 1961 people thought that we’d get a few other cracks at it soon enough.

That to me is the scariest feeling. Maybe this was it. Maybe in my whole life I get to see the doggies play in 2 GF's (one live and one of TV) and that's it. I am gutted, angry, disappointed, bemused and the longer it fades the more and more I think we missed an opportunity - 3 goals up in a GF - you don't lose by 72 points from there......

FrediKanoute
29-09-2021, 12:06 AM

Dureya had Pickett

Danjul
29-09-2021, 10:29 AM
That to me is the scariest feeling. Maybe this was it. Maybe in my whole life I get to see the doggies play in 2 GF's (one live and one of TV) and that's it. I am gutted, angry, disappointed, bemused and the longer it fades the more and more I think we missed an opportunity - 3 goals up in a GF - you don't lose by 72 points from there......
In 2018 we spent most of the season in the bottom four (check this- I’m relying on memory). From there to the grand final is a miracle and the list can improve. I expect us to be close next year.

Who is good enough to stop us?

LostDog
30-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Think we have Melbourne as our main rivals for a few years, would love to see revenge next year

bornadog
30-09-2021, 02:02 PM
Think we have Melbourne as our main rivals for a few years, would love to see revenge next year

I would love to knock them out in a Prelim.

Funke disco
30-09-2021, 02:40 PM
I may have a bias not allowing me to see things for how they truly sit, but I believe we will have their measure next year. It's all about finishing in the top 4, preferably top 2, then launching from there.

Axe Man
30-09-2021, 02:45 PM
I may have a bias not allowing me to see things for how they truly sit, but I believe we will have their measure next year. It's all about finishing in the top 4, preferably top 2, then launching from there.

They surely won't have as charmed a run with injuries again either. I wonder if Burgess leaving will hurt them on that front?

bornadog
30-09-2021, 02:47 PM

This is the key, we have to finish top 4.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-09-2021, 03:19 PM
The way they’re going right now they might do a bulldogs in 2017.

Still think they fall apart if they get an injury. Imagine if we had not a single injury all year? My god I can’t even comprehend that sort of luck. It’s bloody easy to maintain structures and chemistry when you play with the same 20-21 blokes for 25 weeks. We were lucky to have 3-4 with the same guys.

bornadog
30-09-2021, 03:42 PM
The way they’re going right now they might do a bulldogs in 2017.

Still think they fall apart if they get an injury. Imagine if we had not a single injury all year? My god I can’t even comprehend that sort of luck. It’s bloody easy to maintain structures and chemistry when you play with the same 20-21 blokes for 25 weeks. We were lucky to have 3-4 with the same guys.

Makes a difference. 2017 we had huge injuries we couldn't cover. Richmond went through 3 years virtually no injuries until this year.

boydogs
30-09-2021, 08:13 PM
Fritsch looks like a smug private school kid but he seemed more joyful and less cheeky than say Weightman

Melbourne beat us because 6-6-6 stopped us clogging the game up. None of us wants to watch a game 9 goals to 7 every week, the better team on the day rightly won and defensive structures are deliberately impossible against centre clearances. That's actually why we made it so far

We had to play 4 finals and quarantine but our high energy game style was also a factor. Numbers to the contest in lieu of dominant talls is hard to maintain for 4 quarters

angelopetraglia
30-09-2021, 09:03 PM
Fritsch looks like a smug private school kid but he seemed more joyful and less cheeky than say Weightman

Melbourne beat us because 6-6-6 stopped us clogging the game up. None of us wants to watch a game 9 goals to 7 every week, the better team on the day rightly won and defensive structures are deliberately impossible against centre clearances. That's actually why we made it so far

We had to play 4 finals and quarantine but our high energy game style was also a factor. Numbers to the contest in lieu of dominant talls is hard to maintain for 4 quarters

He does have that look. Funny thing is he is from Coldstream me worked as a sparky before getting drafted.

LostDog
01-10-2021, 08:30 PM
Watching it now I didn't think I could

LostDog
01-10-2021, 09:02 PM
Wow Shaq started off so well, Weightman doesn't try to mark he kicks out first