PDA

View Full Version : Woof Player Awards Rnd 1 - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide

BulldogBelle
22-03-2008, 09:47 PM
There are two awards that you can vote on, once the game is completed.

Voting closes each Tuesday at 8.00pm.

The first one is for the Joe Marmo Medal for the best players on the ground.

There are 4 votes allocated and it's a 4 for the best and of course 3, 2 and 1.

and

The second award is for the Ron James Medal for the best 2 pups on the ground.

2 Votes allocated - 2 being for the best pup and 1 for the runner-up
Remember the cut off age for a pup is 22 as at the 1st of January, 2008

wimberga
23-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Joe Marmo Medal

4: Adam Cooney
3: Lindsay Gilbee
2: Brad Johnson
1: Will Minson

Ron James
2: Josh Hill
1: Ryan Griffen

Go_Dogs
23-03-2008, 06:06 PM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Giansiracusa
1. Minson

2. Hill
1. Griffen

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2008, 06:12 PM
4. Johnno
3. Cooney
2. Guido
1. Welsh

Ron James
2. Hill
1. Griffen

Go_Dogs
23-03-2008, 06:13 PM
1. Addison

You rated Addison above Griff and Higgins? I thought Addison was pretty average today, and a bit of a liability. Still has a long way to go imo.

hujsh
23-03-2008, 06:18 PM
You rated Addison above Griff and Higgins? I thought Addison was pretty average today, and a bit of a liability. Still has a long way to go imo.

One Addison moment that i hated was when we had them under pressure and they kicked across the ground to a one on one in our forwardline. Addison went away from the ball and then barely made a contest.

Maybe he was fooled by the swirly wind but we could have gotten a goal there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2008, 06:20 PM

I didn't think Griff was available. If he is I will Definitely amend that. I thought Higgins was quite ordinary today too. Yep I agree Addison still has a long way to go. His endeavour can't be questioned but he is lacking in footy skills. Her telegraphs his handballs when trying to draw a man, his kicking lacks penetration, and he often puts receiving players under pressure.
Once again, if Griff is stil eligible I will alter that vote.

EDIT: Righto, for some reason I thought Griff was already 22... not so. have changed my vote.

Go_Dogs
23-03-2008, 06:20 PM
One Addison moment that i hated was when we had them under pressure and they kicked across the ground to a one on one in our forwardline. Addison went away from the ball and then barely made a contest.

Maybe he was fooled by the swirly wind but we could have gotten a goal there.

Yeah, him and Wight both made a few errors at bad times. I think they both show enough as far as determination and attack on the contest, but their reading of the play/contest, decision making and skills still let them down too often.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread. :o

hujsh
23-03-2008, 06:21 PM
4.Cooney
3.Johnno
2.Welsh
1.Gilbee

2.Hill
1.Griff (almost just for that bullet kick into the forward 50)

Go_Dogs
23-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I didn't think Griff was available. If he is I will Definitely amend that. I thought Higgins was quite ordinary today too. Yep I agree Addison still has a long way to go. His endeavour can't be questioned but he is lacking in footy skills. Her telegraphs his handballs when trying to draw a man, his kicking lacks penetration, and he often puts receiving players under pressure.
Once again, if Griff is stil eligible I will alter that vote.

Here is the list of eligible players.

Addison
Boumann
Everitt
Grant
Griffen
Harbrow
Higgins
Hill
Lynch
O'Keefe
O'Shea
Ray
Reid
Stack
Tiller
Ward
Williams
Wood

Agree with your critique of Addison. The thing that worries me is he hasn't seemed to improve dramatically in these areas yet, which have been the main areas of concern since he started at the club. Hopefully he can start making the improvements, and cement a spot. Hill moved in front of him today, w/o doubt.

Topdog
23-03-2008, 06:54 PM
4. Cooney - had a lot of the ball and generally used it well. Just seemed to be everywhere.
3. Johnosn - when you win the game by yourself you deserve at least 2nd best.
2. Gia - Great 1st game from him and showed how important he is to our lineup.
1. Aka - IIRC he set up 4 goals and kicked 1 himself.

Apologies to Welsh and Minson.

Pups.

2. Hill - did a lot of good things and really brought us back into the game in the 3rd.
1. Griffen - would like to see him use the ball better and concentrate on getting rid of the ball a bit quicker.

Scorlibo
23-03-2008, 07:04 PM
4 - A Cooney
3 - B Johnson
2 - S West
1 - D Giansiracusa

Pups:

2 - J Hill
1 - S Higgins

wimberga
23-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Of course this is a personal thing, but im interested to here how people thought Gilbee went? i personally thought he was unbelievable down back

The Underdog
23-03-2008, 07:17 PM
4.Johnson
3.Cooney
2.Giansiracusa
1. Akermanis (for what he did with the ball in the first 3 quarters, kicking through the lines when others went sideways, had a hand in a most of our goals when we were struggling)

2.Hill
1.Griffen

LostDoggy
23-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't put Gilbee in my bests.
I think Gilbee is short of a gallop, made some uncharacteristic kicking errors.

BulldogBelle
23-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Marmo

4. Johnson
3. Cooney
2. Giansiracusa
1. West

Apologies - Welsh, Akermanis

Ron James

2. Hill
1. Griffen

Mofra
23-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Of course this is a personal thing, but im interested to here how people thought Gilbee went? i personally thought he was unbelievable down back
He tended to kick more with his right foot, especially early on. By the end of the game he was closer to the Gilbee of old, albeit at a slightly slower pace.
I know alot of people ar critical of our backline, but Lake, Wight & Gilbee were clearly underdone, and Hargrave's opponent was the most damaging of the lot. We have plenty of improvement left with just match-fitness alone.

Twodogs
23-03-2008, 09:10 PM
4. Johnson-drove us over the line. Truly awesome last quarter
3. Cooney-almost his best game for the club. Just kept putting his head over the ball.
2. Aka-set up so many scoring shots I lost count. Also spent a large chubk of the game in the middle at centre bounces and ran his arse off.
1. Hudson-monstered the Adelaide ruckmen in the first half and took the responsibillity for setting the plays up at centre bounces. Every bounce he got the middle three in a huddle and told them where he'd be pushing the ball. This guy might just be the missing link in our search for the answer to our miserable clearance rate at stoppages.

Wight, Minson and Welsh were next cabs off the rank.
Wight because he really stuck to his task on MacGregor and didnt drop his head once and also went forward and provided a provided a target

Welsh because, in the words of Ernie Sigley, he was an 8 goal turnaround player. He kicked 4 goals for us that he would have kicked against us-I knew what Ernie was talking about anyway.

Minson has been given the job he was born to do. Just running around the forward line bowling blokes over and making them hesitate a split second before they put their hands on the ball. Idont care if he doesnt get a kick for the rest of the season just so long as defenders are looking over their shoulder wondering where the hell he is.

2. Hill. Looked composed and like he belonged in an AFL game. This guy could be anything and looks a lot trimmer and fitter than last year.
1. Griffen-Still a bit sloppy with his ball handling but his footpassing was superb.

Throughandthrough
23-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Joe Marmo Medal

4: Brad Johnson
3: Will Minson
2: Adam Cooney
1: Gilbo

nearlies include Acka

Ron James
2: Ryan Griffin
1: Hill

Crizza
23-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Joe Marmo Medal

4: Adam Cooney
3: Brad Johnson
2: Welsh
1: Acker

Ron James
2: Hill
1: Higgo

firstdogonthemoon
23-03-2008, 10:20 PM
4 Cooney
3 Johnno
2 Eagle
1 Huddo

2 Griff
1 Hill

How good is Hill! Griff scores higher because he plays like a grown up.

Eagles best game in ages, still cant go past Adwad and Bradwad.

whythelongface
23-03-2008, 10:31 PM
4. Cooney - great all round effort - if this is a sign of things to come for the year ahead then we are in for a helluva ride. Though defensively he still needs to improve.
3. Johnno - what can you say about this guy. A deadset legend and champion of the game.
2. Welsh - not only were his 4 goals a great return for his first game in the red, white and blue but he also showed some excellent defensive pressure. There were two instances in the game where he chased his opponent a fair way up field which lead to turnovers.
1. Eagleton - thought that this was his best game for a long time. Did some excellent things and even made a couple of tackles (although one was to make up for a turnover).

other notables - Hudson and Minson - thought they worked well in tandem. I like the way Hudson reads the game and comes back defensively to help out. Reminiscent of Scotty Wynd. Minson did some excellent work in the last qtr with a few big hit outs - also made a couple of leads in the forward line and provided a couple of contests(nearly held onto a few marks).

2. Hill - wow - this guy is going to be good. What a mark and his foot skills and vision are excellent.
1. Griffen - solid without being spectatular.

LostDoggy
23-03-2008, 10:54 PM
4. Jono
3. Gia
2. Cooney
1. Hudson

2. Hill
1. Griffen

Bulldog Revolution
23-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Marmo:

4. Cooney
3. Eagleton
2. Johnson
1. Welsh

Had difficulty doing these today, felt Cooney was clearly our best 4 quarter player but found it hard to assess a lot of others. Eagle made a few mistakes that drove me made, but he did provide plenty of run and drive, and made some good tackles of his own. Johno was quiet early but really was the guy that imposed his will on the final quarter. Welsh was great almost every time the ball was near him, and his class set shot work is just what the side needed.

fish
23-03-2008, 11:28 PM
(based solely on the radio coverage)

4 Cooney
3 Johnno
2 Aker
1 Minson

particular apologies to Welsh, Guido

2 Hill
1 Griffen

LostDoggy
23-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Marmo
4 - Cooney
3 - Johnson
2 - Akermainis
1 - Eagleton

Just missed a vote, Giansiracusa, West and Welsh

James
2 - Hill
1 - Griffen

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 12:26 AM
4. Johnno
3. Akermanis
2. Gia
1. Cooney

Pup
2. Hill
1. Griffen

The Coon Dog
24-03-2008, 12:55 AM
4. Scott West
3. Nathan Eagleton
2. Daniel Giansiracusa
1. Brad Johnson

wimberga
24-03-2008, 01:02 AM
The Coon Dog.

I know you dont have to answer to anyone, but im just wondering as to why you left Cooney out of your top 4?

hujsh
24-03-2008, 01:18 AM
4. Scott West
3. Nathan Eagleton
2. Daniel Giansiracusa
1. Brad Johnson

The Coon Dog.

I know you dont have to answer to anyone, but im just wondering as to why you left Cooney out of your top 4?

Maybe he feels Cooney has enough votes. Just about 4 from everyone.

Or TCD is just a rebel;)

The Coon Dog
24-03-2008, 01:25 AM
The Coon Dog.

No that's fine. I didn't have him in my top 5. Each quarter I mark who I think plays well & tally it all up after the game (otherwise someone's good second half sticks in your mind more than someone's good first half).

I just thought others were better, tho they may not have been, it's just how I saw it. I don't go off the radio, or from stats, it's as I see it.

I guess there were many players today who played well for periods of the game without putting in a solid 4 quarter effort, such as Cross, Welsh, Akermanis, Hudson & of course Cooney.

Conney certainly wasn't alone but it just seemed to me he went sideways as a first option too often. I may be wrong, but that's just how I saw it.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 01:28 AM
No that's fine. I didn't have him in my top 5. Each quarter I mark who I think plays well & tally it all up after the game (otherwise someone's good second half sticks in your mind more than someone's good first half).

I just thought others were better, tho they may not have been, it's just how I saw it. I don't go off the radio, or from stats, it's as I see it.

I guess there were many players today who played well for periods of the game without putting in a solid 4 quarter effort, such as Cross, Welsh, Akermanis, Hudson & of course Cooney.

Conney certainly wasn't alone but it just seemed to me he went sideways as a first option too often. I may be wrong, but that's just how I saw it.

He certainly ran sideways and his kicking wasn't always spot on but he did set a few forwards up with excellent kicks so it's, obviously, down to opinion.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 01:57 AM
He certainly ran sideways and his kicking wasn't always spot on but he did set a few forwards up with excellent kicks so it's, obviously, down to opinion.

Some of his clearances were very clean and telling - the one in the last qtr with the lace out finish to Johnno was unbelievable, plus he worked harder to create options around the ground too.

Rocket Science
24-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Joe Marmo Medal

4 - Daniel Giansiracusa
3 - Jason Akermanis
2 - Brad Johnson
1 - Adam Cooney

Ron James Medal

2 - Josh Hill
1 - Ryan Griffen

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 09:53 AM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Giansiracusa
1. West

2. Hill
1. Griffen

mjp
24-03-2008, 01:44 PM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Hudson
1. Akermanis

2. Hill
1. Griffen

What's with all the votes for Minson? I dont understand. A few spikes out of the ruck in the last quarter...and what else exactly?

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 01:53 PM
What's with all the votes for Minson? I dont understand. A few spikes out of the ruck in the last quarter...and what else exactly?
Picked up Johnson off the ground after his last goal.
I wouldn't of had in my best but I don't think he played badly.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 02:01 PM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Hudson
1. Akermanis

2. Hill
1. Griffen

Important touches at important times. Went missing for large parts of the game, but his work at the business end of the match was crucial to setting up our win.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Some excellent taps to advantage. Best I've seen by a dogs ruckman.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 02:47 PM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Hudson
1. Akermanis

2. Hill
1. Griffen

I didn't give him a vote but I thought he turned the game in the last when we were gone.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 03:12 PM
4. Cooney
3. Johnson
2. Giansiracusa
1. Akermanis

2. Hill
1. Griffen

4 & 3 votes were easy. The 2 & 1 could have went to any of 6 or 8 players.

Raw Toast
24-03-2008, 06:20 PM

I haven't seen the game yet (v v distressed about that and am desperate to see a replay), but The Age has some new stats features, one of which is an assessment of taps to advantage. They have Minson with 10 taps, 80% to advantage, and Hudson with 9 taps, 33% to advantage. They also have Griffin with 18 and 17%, and Tippet 9 with 22%.

I know Hudson seemed to have a good game, and can be credited with at least part of the fact that Adelaide had very few taps to advantage, and I'd like to know how many contested possessions Hudson got (I'd guess a fair few), but those stats are impressive and Minson sounded like he both spiked to advantage and got it right down Cooney and Higgins' throats as well. That said, Hudson had 17 possessions, 9 marks and two clangers, while Minson had 9 possies, 6 marks and 4 clangers.

As Dog Town noted in another thread, other teams will work out where Minson is spiking it to, but while that will probably limit the clean spike take-aways, if our players are ready for it we should still be able to take advantage of the forward momentum of the ball, much like Brisbane did in their hey-day.

mjp
24-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I didn't give him a vote but I thought he turned the game in the last when we were gone.

He did some good things in the last q, but for 80% of the game was in the forward line doing next to nothing. Tap-outs to advantage remain the most ridiculous stat ever conceived...advantage based on what basically? Cooney's ability to break away from Van Berlo and one grab a ground ball at full speed? That is Cooney, not Minson.

W W Biscuit
24-03-2008, 06:23 PM
4 - Cooney
3 - Giansiracusa
2 - Johnson
1 - West

2 - Hill
1 - Griffen

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 06:30 PM
He did some good things in the last q, but for 80% of the game was in the forward line doing next to nothing. Tap-outs to advantage remain the most ridiculous stat ever conceived...advantage based on what basically? Cooney's ability to break away from Van Berlo and one grab a ground ball at full speed? That is Cooney, not Minson.

What about his 30 M spike that landed on Eagleton's head? Hudson had ran out of legs, if it weren't for Will, I'm convinced we wouldn't have won.

Raw Toast
24-03-2008, 06:56 PM

The tap outs to advantage stat might generally be poor (I think Street rates quite high on it which is ridiculous) but there has to be a reason why Cooney seems to have broken out from a centre bounce more times to Minson than to any other of our rucks, despite the fact that he's generally been roving to other rucks. Our 05 games against Adelaide (Grant's 300th at home - Gia was the one doing a fair bit of bursting in this game as well), and Brisbane (at home) being prime examples.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Advantage in that the ball get's shoved down one of our player's throat or placed in front of them which I feel is pretty important in the modern game.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 07:53 PM
4. Cooney - Reaped the rewards of a full pre season with 31 touches. Decision making was a bit iffy but he was the standout player for us.

3. Johnno - Does what he does best. Won HIS game off his own boot and stood up when the side really needed a lift. Champion effort for a champion player.

2. Eagle - Started off slow but hit top gear in the 2nd QTR when we got our run on and was superb. Hopefully his leg isnt as bad as first thought because if he keeps on performing the way he did yesterday hes in for a terrific season.

1. Minson - Had a very solid game in the ruck for us. That set play where he thumps it to Eagle on the wing was special. Sides should work it out fairly quickly though but it was great to watch. Proved to me his worth in the ruck today and renewed my confidence in his rucking ability.

Rookie Award:

2. Hill - He has fantastic hands for his build and is very couragous considering his slight frame. Late in the 4th, or was it 3rd he dropped his only mark backing back into a pack but still got first hands to it. I was very impressed with this young mans 2nd match.

1. Griff - Griffen of old. Looked his best yesterday and will only get better from now. He is great to watch. You can have your Buddy Franklin, Griffen at full flight is what i would come to see.

Dry Rot
24-03-2008, 08:22 PM
1. Cooney
2. Johnson
3. Aker
4. Hudson

Pups

1. Hill
2, Griffin

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 09:59 PM

I saw Scott Wynd win us games with about 3 possesions.

If Minson doesn't get the ball going forward to the right spot Cooney is just another downhill skier running the wrong way.

mjp
25-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I saw Scott Wynd win us games with about 3 possesions.

If Minson doesn't get the ball going forward to the right spot Cooney is just another downhill skier running the wrong way.

And if the Adelaide player gets goal-side of Cooney, well....who is the tap too then? As for the spike to Eagleton, well, what the hell was Eagleton doing standing 20m on the attacking side of his opponent (for that matter, what was his opponent doing?). He was dead-set guessing what was going to happen, and was lucky it came off.

Our best ruckman on Sunday was Hudson, and it was not even close.

Ozza
25-03-2008, 11:34 AM
4- Cooney - outstanding overall - that centre clearance late in the game when he hit Johnno n the lead. Wow.

3- Johnson - wins football matches....

2- Aker - Just so important. And is a player that stands up when we are in flat patches. Kicking was super - and that set shot from 50+ - loved it.

1- Scott West. Just works so hard for us - and did a lot of things that go unnoticed that I picked up on the tape later!!

Pups:

2. Hill - Excited he can really play. Played beyond his years in stages.
1. Griffen - pretty good signs in first proper game back...will get better and better.

What a win.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Joe Marmo Medal

4: Brad Johnson
3: Jason Akermanis
2: Adam Cooney
1: Scott Welsh

Ron James Medal
1: Ryan Griffin

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 02:41 PM
4- Adam Cooney
3- Jason Akermanis
2- Brad Johnson
1- Nathan Eagleton

2- Hill
1- Griffen

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 04:30 PM
As for the spike to Eagleton, well, what the hell was Eagleton doing standing 20m on the attacking side of his opponent (for that matter, what was his opponent doing?)

This is definitely a set play. When the bounce clearly favours Minson he gives it the full welly - it happened twice. On both occasions the Crows bloke was half way into the square when he realised the pill was about to go over his head - too late.

Both punches reached the corner of the square.

BulldogBelle
25-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Righto, 10 minutes left to put your votes in.....so if you haven't done so, now is the time.

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:55 PM
After much consideration

Joe Marmo
4: Johnson
3: West
2: Eagleton
1: Cooney

Aker and Gia just miss.

Ron James
1: Ryan Griffin