PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

azabob
12-09-2023, 05:40 PM
There is definiltey a lot of changes. It is going to be so important that we nail some great appointments for all of these growing vacancies. Hopefully the team have been planning this for some time and have some good people ready to roll.

A lot of changes. Some forced and some deciding to leave for other opportunities.

In hindsight is amazing how stable our football club has been off-field.

What I also believe has been undervalued is our list management team has not had any consistency for a few years which probably hasn't helped our overall strategy.

McCartney and Dalrymple left and then we brought in Nick Austin who left fairly quickly after that to head up Carlton's list management.

GVGjr
12-09-2023, 05:43 PM
Daniel Cherny

West Coast has landed Western Bulldogs high performance chief Mathew Inness.

He will be a great addition for them. He's had a terrific long term tenure with us.

Axe Man
12-09-2023, 05:45 PM
A lot of changes. Some forced and some deciding to leave for other opportunities.

In hindsight is amazing how stable our football club has been off-field.

What I also believe has been undervalued is our list management team has not had any consistency for a few years which probably hasn't helped our overall strategy.

McCartney and Dalrymple left and then we brought in Nick Austin who left fairly quickly after that to head up Carlton's list management.

Since those list management/recruiting changes Power has been there since 2017 and Milesi since the beginning of 2020, so that area has been stable for the past 4 seasons.

bornadog
12-09-2023, 05:47 PM
All the best to Matt, has been terrific at the club.

Now to find someone else with the same dedication.

GVGjr
12-09-2023, 05:51 PM
I would imagine this will be a highly sort after role within the industry especially with the new facilities just about ready to go.
We will miss him but it's time for a change.

Grantysghost
12-09-2023, 05:52 PM
Daniel Cherny

West Coast has landed Western Bulldogs high performance chief Mathew Inness.

"landed"

bornadog
12-09-2023, 05:54 PM
"landed"

Big move to go across the otherside of the country with his young family.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Big move to go across the otherside of the country with his young family.

Should look like a hero as they can only go up. Great strategy for self promotion

bornadog
12-09-2023, 06:29 PM
Should look like a hero as they can only go up. Great strategy for self promotion

Matt is very driven and always trying to better himself. Completed a PHD recently and was instrumental in getting JOD to the club.

G-Mo77
12-09-2023, 07:47 PM
Matt is very driven and always trying to better himself. Completed a PHD recently and was instrumental in getting JOD to the club.

Players haven't been able to run out games all year. Is he a fall guy for this trend?

azabob
12-09-2023, 07:52 PM
Players haven't been able to run out games all year. Is he a fall guy for this trend?

I’m thinking he left his own accord? How often does a fall guy land on his feet like Innes has?

GVGjr
12-09-2023, 07:52 PM

I don't think he was pushed in anyway, his appointment to West Coast would have taken a bit of time to get done.
The fact we've had to train away from an elite playing surface for so long and having to make do with a temporary gym etc all played it's part with some of our struggles through the season. Prior to this year I think we were at the least competitive with other teams in terms of fitness and conditioning.

What a great time for Mat's successor to come in with access to the new facilities so close. I would imagine it will be a sort after position.

Grantysghost
12-09-2023, 07:57 PM
Or maybe we told him he wasn't getting renewed and he had time to find another gig.

kruder
12-09-2023, 08:40 PM
It's interesting that WCE were going to leave no stone unturned/global search etc and came up with Matt. Congrats to him.

I have been keen for change in this area for a few years now I hope we haven't just started looking we should be well and truly underway in locking in new fitness/coaching staff. From day 1 of preseason we want to have everything in place or will be starting on the back foot again.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2023, 09:22 PM
It's interesting that WCE were going to leave no stone unturned/global search etc and came up with Matt. Congrats to him.

I have been keen for change in this area for a few years now I hope we haven't just started looking we should be well and truly underway in locking in new fitness/coaching staff. From day 1 of preseason we want to have everything in place or will be starting on the back foot again.

I wonder if the AFEL is ready to let ‘the weapon’ back into AFEL circles. His teams ran out games better than any ones I remember. I can’t remember exactly why, but they were all, how do you say, muy bueno.

1eyedog
12-09-2023, 10:03 PM
Matt definitely got the tap on the shoulder. We haven't stuck a tackle all year let's be honest. Bullet dodged 2024.

jeemak
12-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Or maybe we told him he wasn't getting renewed and he had time to find another gig.

He'd have known for months. Probably after round two of the season proper.

The bulldog tragician
13-09-2023, 12:12 AM
There hasn’t been much commentary on Varcoe’s departure. From the outside he appeared to be doing well in making our club more attuned to Indigenous boys. Any thoughts on why he’s left?

Vred
13-09-2023, 07:32 AM
Matt definitely got the tap on the shoulder. We haven't stuck a tackle all year let's be honest. Bullet dodged 2024.

Was a very mutual separation.

He wanted out, Dogs wanted him out, was agreed that he'd leave at the end of the season a few weeks ago, very much a 50/50 breakup.

Bev's new contract that kicks off next year is on significantly less money so the football department could bring in the people needed.
Spang will be staying on, different role.
Sounds like Martin and Maddocks will also be staying on, same development roles.
I'm still being told that Dew is 90% over the line, and we're also working on another very-seasoned and experienced coach.
Clay Smith is still very much on the cards to come in at some capacity as well, he just got Point Cook into the grand final as head coach.

There will be a bit of a shuffling of board members, at least 2 leaving and 2 new ones being appointed.

The original plan of ''Bevo is the boundary line hype man and the assistants run the game from the coaching box'' that I posted about weeks ago, is still very much on the cards as our setup next year.

Internal review is still running, how Grant has survived it I don't know, not alot of love for him from either players or staff.

(this is all second hand information - as always, grain of salt)

ledge
13-09-2023, 09:27 AM
If that’s all true . I find two things strange about it .
1. Getting a suburban side in a GF doesn’t equate to being a good coach, I love Clay he definitely would know how to play the game hard but going to VFL level first or a few more years around the traps would be needed.
2 Grant, would he have much to do with the playing group and if this is the case about not getting on with quite a few, sounds like he is the problem and would be first gone.

Bullies
13-09-2023, 09:48 AM

I have been keen for change in this area for a few years now I hope we haven't just started looking we should be well and truly underway in locking in new fitness/coaching staff. From day 1 of preseason we want to have everything in place or will be starting on the back foot again. He is good mates with Justin Langer as well and was targeted once WCE let go their fitness guy before seasons end. He is very well respected in the industry and it is good for both teams to make a new start and change it up.

MrMahatma
13-09-2023, 11:46 AM
1. Getting a suburban side in a GF doesn’t equate to being a good coach, I love Clay he definitely would know how to play the game hard but going to VFL level first or a few more years around the traps would be needed.

Lot's of guys go straight from playing to being an AFL assistant. You could argue Clay has a greater combination of coach and life experience than many of the first time assistants.

Axe Man
13-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Lot's of guys go straight from playing to being an AFL assistant. You could argue Clay has a greater combination of coach and life experience than many of the first time assistants.

If he does come in I doubt it would be an AFL assistant's role anyway, more likely some sort of development role/VFL. Perhaps Varcoe's position?

mjp
13-09-2023, 12:06 PM
1. Getting a suburban side in a GF doesn’t equate to being a good coach.

It doesn't equate to NOT being a good coach either.

One thing about being an 'expert' in something (as Bevo is undoubtedly) - it can compromise your decision making because you have seen the worst happen so many times...when you are just beginning, you have a little more enthusiasm for trying stuff...

I wouldn't be against taking a chance on someone like Smith in a line role - put an experienced head around him to help with player one-on-ones, editing vision etc and go for it.

Coach Prime baby!

Topdog
13-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Was a very mutual separation.

He wanted out, Dogs wanted him out, was agreed that he'd leave at the end of the season a few weeks ago, very much a 50/50 breakup.

But the question is WHY we wanted him out

Vred
13-09-2023, 04:29 PM
But the question is WHY we wanted him out

the story I’m told is Grant and Inness butted heads on how he wanted to develop the fitness program.

ledge
16-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Could we look at Barlow, very impressive VFL coach, bring him in as an assistant he definitely has a great backing from his players.
Heard him on the radio the other night, seemed like a natural.

EasternWest
16-09-2023, 09:14 PM
Could we look at Barlow, very impressive VFL coach, bring him in as an assistant he definitely has a great backing from his players.

Sedat likes this.

GVGjr
16-09-2023, 09:47 PM

He's a very good coach and I think he could come in as a line or development coach.

azabob
16-09-2023, 09:48 PM
Do we now assume that the two coaches coming in are still part of finals of some sort?

Same with our fitness staff?

GVGjr
16-09-2023, 09:51 PM
Do we now assume that the two coaches coming in are still part of finals of some sort?

Same with our fitness staff?

I'm guessing that the fitness staff will take some time to interview and while it's a reasonable assumption that our next assistants could be attached to finals teams it could also be that one or two of other coaches had their hat in the ring for Richmond.

I think we will know more but the end of next week.

kruder
16-09-2023, 10:10 PM
I still think for the players to really get on board we need a name someone that is from a successful system that can help tweak our game plan and get some excitement back in our playing style.

kruder
19-09-2023, 08:58 PM
Hopefully McQualter misses out at Richmond would be perfect for us, I would of thought the cats would be also interested.

GVGjr
19-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Hopefully McQualter misses out at Richmond would be perfect for us, I would of thought the cats would be also interested.

There was some talk today that Richmond have widened their search which indicates that t might not be a race in two between McQualter and Yze. I don't know enough about McQualter might bring us other than he served a good apprenticeship under Hardwick.

Things have gone a bit quiet on our coaching recruiting but it has to start up again soon.

JanLorMill
19-09-2023, 09:43 PM
A bit worried no good assistants want to come.

bornadog
19-09-2023, 09:44 PM
There was some talk today that Richmond have widened their search which indicates that t might not be a race in two between McQualter and Yze. I don't know enough about McQualter might bring us other than he served a good apprenticeship under Hardwick.

Things have gone a bit quiet on our coaching recruiting but it has to start up again soon.

I thought I read it was down to McQualter and Yze. Looks like Gia missed.

GVGjr
19-09-2023, 09:45 PM
A bit worried no good assistants want to come.

I think we would be a great destination for any aspiring assistant coaches. The new facilities and of course a good senior coach who is loyal to his assistants must be very tempting.

GVGjr
19-09-2023, 09:47 PM
I thought I read it was down to McQualter and Yze. Looks like Gia missed.

I had a mate send me a message that he thinks Richmond have reached out to some other former coaches. Perhaps it's just to get their input and experience but things could snowball from there.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2023, 09:54 PM
I think we would be a great destination for any aspiring assistant coaches. The new facilities and of course a good senior coach who is loyal to his assistants must be very tempting.

Good time to come in too I think. To most, we have underperformed. A lot is being put on the assistants for next year. If we can rise, it'll mae the assistants look really good.

kruder
19-09-2023, 10:35 PM
I had a mate send me a message that he thinks Richmond have reached out to some other former coaches. Perhaps it's just to get their input and experience but things could snowball from there.

Yeah Buckley and Cotchin have gone into the final two interviews. I wonder if Melbourne's straight set exits might go against Yze? There territory game looks a little outdated like ours and it does sounds like he is running the game plan.

jeemak
19-09-2023, 11:55 PM
I really don't understand why we wouldn't be jumping at Dew or why some around here don't think he'd be good for us.

Critter
20-09-2023, 08:37 AM
I really don't understand why we wouldn't be jumping at Dew or why some around here don't think he'd be good for us.

Might be because we're waiting to see what McQualter does.

MrMahatma
20-09-2023, 08:52 AM

Still doing our Dew diligence?

jazzadogs
20-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Still doing our Dew diligence?

I take it all back G. Shut it down.

kruder
20-09-2023, 08:49 PM
An update via my mother courtesy of SEN, Chris Newman is the latest coach linked to the dogs.

Johhno was apparently saying the Croft camp would want to sit down with the club to see where he fits before he nominates them. Nothing too enlightening just more Dew diligence to be had.

GVGjr
20-09-2023, 08:51 PM
An update via my mother courtesy of SEN, Chris Newman is the latest coach linked to the dogs.

Johhno was apparently saying the Croft camp would want to sit down with the club to see where he fits before he nominates them. Nothing too enlightening just more Dew diligence to be had.

I heard his name mentioned but it wasn't a convincing statement.
I'd imagine GG will say "Hello Newman" if he gets appointed :)

He's an ambitious coach in waiting so how do we squeeze both Lade and Newman into the coaches box if we do land him?

kruder
20-09-2023, 08:56 PM

I’m going with one of McQualter/Newman at the dogs next year ha

Grantysghost
20-09-2023, 09:37 PM

He's an ambitious coach in waiting so how do we squeeze both Lade and Newman into the coaches box if we do land him?

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExeWZ0d2I0aXNjc3Jobzg0eTZwbXV0aGYyMDV4N2hqa DBwN2wzbHJxbiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/XCLBNof6ICAEM/giphy.gif

Correct G...!

https://media.giphy.com/media/DbSZni6xAW2Ws/giphy.gif

jazzadogs
20-09-2023, 10:59 PM
Newman, McQualter, Dew...all good names to have aligned with us.

The key in my view is that we get experienced coaches in, to replace the experience we have lost. Ideally coaches who have recently been in successful systems. But I don't really mind who it is, as I don't have enough inside knowledge to know who is good or not.

Grantysghost
20-09-2023, 11:04 PM
Newman, McQualter, Dew...all good names to have aligned with us.

The key in my view is that we get experienced coaches in, to replace the experience we have lost. Ideally coaches who have recently been in successful systems. But I don't really mind who it is, as I don't have enough inside knowledge to know who is good or not.

Love someone who has moved on from the third man up rule being removed "to protect the ruckman", and has adapted to the stand rule changes.

doggies ftw
20-09-2023, 11:05 PM

Good assistants have only ever walked out of our club under Bevo, not in. I?m not sure if it?s exactly a draw card, on current evidence looks like more the opposite to be completely honest.

jazzadogs
20-09-2023, 11:23 PM
Love someone who has moved on from the third man up rule being removed "to protect the ruckman", and has adapted to the stand rule changes.

Yes, I rewatched the 2016 grand final last night (this is why WOOF needs to stay, I wouldn't admit to that anywhere else) and it is so weird watching us have 2 or 3 people actively contesting the ruck, and players moving on the mark.

I don't agree with the changes, but I also don't think our side has adapted to them. Fresh voices will hopefully help.

jazzadogs
20-09-2023, 11:25 PM
Good assistants have only ever walked out of our club under Bevo, not in. I?m not sure if it?s exactly a draw card, on current evidence looks like more the opposite to be completely honest.

To be fair they walked out after 5-6 years, searching for upgraded opportunities, so it can't have been that bad.

Since then both King and Hansen have coached AFL games haven't they? Probably feeling pretty vindicated.

Rocket Science
21-09-2023, 12:06 AM
At the risk of overthinking things are we suddenly attracting the interest of better credentialed assistants because they sniff an opportunity?

GVGjr
21-09-2023, 12:08 AM
At the risk of overthinking things are we suddenly attracting the interest of better credentialed assistants because they sniff an opportunity?

Fortune favors the brave. I'd imagine some of the more experienced ones might see an opportunity.

MrMahatma
21-09-2023, 08:12 AM
Do we know that we’ve tried to get senior assistants in the past but failed? We got one lady year.

GVGjr
21-09-2023, 08:36 AM

Hansen, Gia and King were ambitious assistant coaches who want to prepare for a chance to be a senior coach. Moving clubs helps them gain a broader experience to hopefully achieve their goals. On the flip side we brought Lade in who also has ambitions.

I think we are a good destination for assistant coaches.

Axe Man
21-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Do we know that we’ve tried to get senior assistants in the past but failed? We got one lady year.

Lay Ladey Lay?

ledge
21-09-2023, 11:29 AM
Hansen, Gia and King were ambitious assistant coaches who want to prepare for a chance to be a senior coach. Moving clubs helps them gain a broader experience to hopefully achieve their goals. On the flip side we brought Lade in who also has ambitions.

I think we are a good destination for assistant coaches.

We have been good at giving coaches their first go .. Bevo , Malthouse , Wallace were successful ones . Hart, McCartney being terrible.
If you’re looking for a club to take a chance you would look at the dogs.

doggies ftw
21-09-2023, 11:47 AM
To be fair they walked out after 5-6 years, searching for upgraded opportunities, so it can't have been that bad.

Since then both King and Hansen have coached AFL games haven't they? Probably feeling pretty vindicated.

They left for similar opportunities, nothing wrong with that. But when a team who has just played in a GFs two best options to replace them are literally a first time coach at any level!! And Webb. Well that says a lot.

All started with Monty early days who saw the writing on the wall I guess, Monty, Gia, Hansen, King, Corey even Dal who wasn?t even under the same umbrella as Bev didn?t want to work with him, all one way traffic, the one big signing we?ve had under Bev was Lade a guy who has never worked in a successful environment in a decade long coaching career.

We?ll see what happens this year, but from where I?m standing people are definitely not scrambling to work under a great coach in Bev, quite the opposite. I wonder why?

Vred
21-09-2023, 01:18 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

Not a shabby panel if you ask me.

JanLorMill
21-09-2023, 01:21 PM
Lay Ladey Lay?
Lay across my big brass bed

JanLorMill
21-09-2023, 01:23 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

Unfortunately only one of them is actually with us atm and his influence was questioned this year.

GVGjr
21-09-2023, 01:29 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

It almost has too many senior assistants but like to get Barlow. Webb's role was stoppages and opposition analysis. That might be a good role for one of them.

jazzadogs
21-09-2023, 01:59 PM
It almost has too many senior assistants but like to get Barlow. Webb's role was stoppages and opposition analysis. That might be a good role for one of them.

Can you have too many good assistant coaches? I agree they can't all have the title of 'senior' assistant but if they're getting paid enough they probably don't care.

Just as an exercise I looked up other panels from this year and we stack up pretty well on numbers and experience...

2023 coaching panels
Bulldogs
Bevo
Lade
Webb
Smith
Spangher
+ Maddocks, Stef Martin, Varcoe (development)

Collingwood
McRae
Brendan Bolton (director of coaching, defence)
Leppitsch (Strategy, Forwards)
Hayden Skipworth
Scott Selwood
+ Fraser, Jetta, Roughead (development)

Melbourne
Goodwin
Alan Richardson (General Manager of AFL football performance ???)
Yze (mids)
Troy Chaplin (backs)
Greg Stafford (forwards)
Mark Williams (Head of Development)

Carlton
Voss
Hansen (forwards/"offense")
Hamill (backs)
Tim Clarke (mids)
Kreuzer (rucks)
Luke Power (development, VFL)
Lonergan, Brad Ebert, Torin Baker (development)

Note Brisbane has four ex Bulldogs on their coaching panel - Adcock (backs), Ben Hudson (VFL coach), Morris (development), Hahn (academy)

jazzadogs
21-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

Is this a thought, or based on your sources?

mjp
21-09-2023, 02:16 PM

I don't think it is the roles below Bevo that are necessarily a problem. I'm pretty sure most of the guys in JD's list can coach and communicate.

It 'feels' like covering for the Maple 'role' (whatever that is - pretty sure he just did what he did after being at the club for a long time without everything being spelled out in a JDF) has left not just Bevo but the AC's and Hi-Performance team trying to fill gaps...

Again - I don't know but it feels like unity and leadership is the key, not names on a page. And whilst I'm sure the names (Barlow, Dew, McQualter et al being mentioned) impress some people, players wont care. They want people who show through their actions they are willing to support them and help them improve their game...

Vred
21-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Is this a thought, or based on your sources?

All coaches we are chasing.

jazzadogs
21-09-2023, 02:33 PM

Hopefully we get one or two off the list. If we get none, then the 'nobody wants to work with Bevo' drums start pounding pretty loudly.

kruder
21-09-2023, 08:32 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

Yze is Richmond's coach so McQualter will be on the market

ledge
21-09-2023, 08:57 PM

And now Newman apparently.

jeemak
21-09-2023, 08:59 PM
They left for similar opportunities, nothing wrong with that. But when a team who has just played in a GFs two best options to replace them are literally a first time coach at any level!! And Webb. Well that says a lot.

All started with Monty early days who saw the writing on the wall I guess, Monty, Gia, Hansen, King, Corey even Dal who wasn?t even under the same umbrella as Bev didn?t want to work with him, all one way traffic, the one big signing we?ve had under Bev was Lade a guy who has never worked in a successful environment in a decade long coaching career.

We?ll see what happens this year, but from where I?m standing people are definitely not scrambling to work under a great coach in Bev, quite the opposite. I wonder why?

Well they were rather late/ unexpected changes to our coaching lineup after the GF and with coaches being told in August who's contracted and who's not the pool is limited.

I understand the narrative you're trying to push, but the fact that those two stayed for as long as they did, and also Smith's tenure suggests there's plenty of alternative narratives that are just as if not more reasonable than the one you've hitched your wagon to.

And that's fine. Let's see how it pans out these next few weeks.

bornadog
21-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Now that Yze is Richmond's coach, McQuallter would be worth chasing.

FrediKanoute
21-09-2023, 11:59 PM
Michael Barlow
Stew Dew
Andrew McQualter
Brendan Lade

Is that the rumour/on the list/likely to be announced?

jeemak
22-09-2023, 12:00 AM
Is that the rumour/on the list/likely to be announced?

Apparently those targeted by us, according to Vred's sources.

But they'd kick the face in of every other assistant coaching group.....providing Bevo was held in a Hannibal Lector suit and mask.

GVGjr
22-09-2023, 12:08 AM
Now that Yze is Richmond's coach, McQuallter would be worth chasing.

There was some talk that McQualter could stay at Richmond but that might be harder to do. We could be in the prime position to get him over. The one question mark I have on him was that apparently in his presentation he was going to run with a very similar version of the Hardwick game plan. Does that lack a bit of innovation for us?

bornadog
22-09-2023, 12:09 AM
There was some talk that McQualter could stay at Richmond but that might be harder to do. We could be in the prime position to get him over. The one question mark I have on him was that apparently in his presentation he was going to run with a very similar version of the Hardwick game plan. Does that lack a bit of innovation for us?

Bevo always maintained that Hardwick copied our game plan from 2016 to win his 3 premierships.

jeemak
22-09-2023, 12:20 AM

Bevo always maintained that Hardwick copied our game plan from 2016 to win his 3 premierships.

I've said in another thread that if we think we can copy what other teams at the top have been doing these past two years then we're doomed to fail.

Every team is likely working on ways to counter the inside quick movement style Collingwood has been playing. It would take us a couple of years to get that Collingwood style of game right, and by then we'd have missed the boat.

We just need to get back to our DNA of winning the contest, whilst improving our ability to stop the exit until our list evolves to enable something else. Our success is going to be about how we stifle opposition forward thrusts across with improved full ground defence, and hopefully give our ball users more time with clean possession to move it forward.

I would say McQualter could help us with that.

ledge
22-09-2023, 12:28 AM
Of all these coaches how many has Bevo worked with before ?

ledge
22-09-2023, 12:29 AM
I’m surprised Cameron hasn’t been mentioned

Axe Man
22-09-2023, 12:44 PM
I’m surprised Cameron hasn’t been mentioned

Leon? He took up a position with the Sydney academy last year, I'm guessing if he had wanted to return to Melbourne as an assistant he would have done it 12 months ago.

SquirrelGrip
22-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Leon? He took up a position with the Sydney academy last year, I'm guessing if he had wanted to return to Melbourne as an assistant he would have done it 12 months ago.

His kids are at school in Sydney and he didn't want to disrupt their final years if he could help it. The Sydney Academy job was a perfect fit for that reason.

GVGjr
22-09-2023, 05:09 PM
I wonder if our chances of landing McQualter has increased based on this story? That's a very poorly managed process by the Tigers.

McQualter to depart Tigers on good terms despite discovering coaching call via radio
(https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-richmond-new-senior-coach-andrew-mcqualter-found-out-via-radio-adem-yze-appointed-leaving-club/news-story/988dcf0acdd7f8fc5ee9c15c449102df)

Andrew McQualter will depart Richmond on good terms despite missing out on the senior coaching job, which he first discovered via radio.

Foxfooty.com.au understands McQualter found out Adem Yze had been appointed as Richmond coach via radio on Thursday night, when veteran journalist Caroline Wilson broke the news, despite McQualter being the only other remaining candidate for the job.

While he found out from the club shortly after, the fact McQualter - the caretaker coach - was informed via radio and not Richmond marked an unfortunate end to his time at the club.

It’s understood McQualter has interest from several AFL rivals and is expected to remain in Victoria with his young family.

He has been at Richmond since the end of 2014 and was an assistant coach through Richmond’s premiership-winning run.

He finished with seven wins from 13 games as caretaker coach after Damien Hardwick’s sudden resignation midway through the season.

Yze said on Friday he would be open to McQualter staying at the club.

“If he stays, I’d love him to stay at the footy club,” Yze said.

“He’s created some strong relationships, he understands the place, so I’d have no issue with him staying around and being my right-hand man.

If he does move on - we’ll find that out in the next few days - he’ll go with our blessing and I’ll try and fill that spot.”

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale admitted McQualter was “disappointed” and that it remained to be seen where his future would lie.

bornadog
22-09-2023, 05:28 PM
I wonder if our chances of landing McQualter has increased based on this story? That's a very poorly managed process by the Tigers.

How does Caro know before the candidates - that really is poor

GVGjr
22-09-2023, 06:19 PM
How does Caro know before the candidates - that really is poor

She's got connections at the club and has often been ahead of the news.

bornadog
22-09-2023, 10:11 PM
She's got connections at the club and has often been ahead of the news.

Yeah fine, but piss poor by Richmond not letting candidates know first

angelopetraglia
24-09-2023, 11:22 PM
Yeah fine, but piss poor by Richmond not letting candidates know first

Horrendous that Caro can find out before him.

Vred
26-09-2023, 02:46 AM
We are in the box seat for McQualter.
StK have dropped out of the race.
WCE are putting together an offer for him but it's believed he doesn't want to leave Vic.
Dogs have made him a real good offer.

The Doctor
26-09-2023, 05:56 AM
Has anyone heard any more on Dew?

We need 3 new assistants don't we?

GVGjr
26-09-2023, 07:04 AM
WCE are putting together an offer for him but it's believed he doesn't want to leave Vic.

I'd count that as a positive

GVGjr
26-09-2023, 07:05 AM
Has anyone heard any more on Dew?

We need 3 new assistants don't we?

2 isn't it?

Replacing Smith and Webb. We still have Lade and Spangher

The Doctor
26-09-2023, 07:25 AM
2 isn't it?

Replacing Smith and Webb. We still have Lade and Spangher

isn't Spangher being moved into a development role?

GVGjr
26-09-2023, 07:31 AM
isn't Spangher being moved into a development role?

I would have thought that would have been acknowledged by now if it was going to happen unless it's contingent on the availability of others. Spangher could be replacing Varcoe but I don't think it's happened yet.

MrMahatma
26-09-2023, 09:28 AM
Don’t know anything about McQualter. Same as all assistants to be honest… have no idea about them. He would tick the “experience from a successful system” box though. That’s a positive, on paper at least.

SquirrelGrip
26-09-2023, 10:32 AM
I heard Michael Barlow interviewed on the radio last week. He said that he has aspirations to be an AFL senior coach. He thought his first step would be best in a holistic role rather than an assistant coach role.

https://megaphone.link/NTETP9695039533 (about 19:55 mark onwards)

FWIW he would be an excellent pick up for us.

GVGjr
26-09-2023, 10:37 AM
I heard Michael Barlow interviewed on the radio last week. He said that he has aspirations to be an AFL senior coach. He thought his first step would be best in a holistic role rather than an assistant coach role.

https://megaphone.link/NTETP9695039533 (about 19:55 mark onwards)

FWIW he would be an excellent pick up for us.

Barlow would be a solid addition to the coaching ranks and I wonder if it should initially be as a development coach.

kruder
26-09-2023, 07:09 PM
If Dew was coming to us surely it would have been announced by now?

Chris Newman gone back to Richmond.

Grantysghost
26-09-2023, 07:15 PM

My understanding is he's moved in to Whitten Oval and is living in G's spare tent.

GVGjr
26-09-2023, 07:18 PM

The domino's will fall quickly on coaching appointments after the GF, I'd imagine it's a challenge to squeeze in some more experienced coaches under the soft cap.

JanLorMill
26-09-2023, 07:24 PM
My understanding is he's moved in to Whitten Oval and is living in G's spare tent.
Ratten is there too, doing a spot of gardening.
I’ll believe Dew, Ratten, Barlow or McQualter when it happens. At the moment we have zip

Bumper Bulldogs
26-09-2023, 08:25 PM
Ratten is there too, doing a spot of gardening.
I’ll believe Dew, Ratten, Barlow or McQualter when it happens. At the moment we have zip

If Bevo was sitting on on the couch interviews we could be waiting awhile as he doesn’t budge easily

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 09:03 AM
I read on Twitter that Stuart Dew is going to move into a role with Cricket Australia.
Curious that I don't believe it's been announced yet on CA or in the main media yet so I'm somewhat skeptical.

lemmon
27-09-2023, 09:05 AM
I read on Twitter that Stuart Dew is going to move into a role with Cricket Australia.
Curious that I don't believe it's been announced yet on CA or in the main media yet so I'm somewhat skeptical.

He was around the test side during the Ashes, so there is a link

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 09:26 AM
He was around the test side during the Ashes, so there is a link

Yes, definitely a link but I can't see it confirmed in the media just yet and I think it would have been covered.

bornadog
27-09-2023, 10:24 AM
From Sam Edmund:

Brett Ratten is locked in for a Hawthorn homecoming. Ratten will re-join the club he helped to three flags as an assistant in a new senior, director of coaching-type role. Ratten chose Hawthorn amid a lot of interest from rival clubs after leaving the Roos

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 10:27 AM
That's a great move for Ratten.

doggies ftw
27-09-2023, 10:36 AM
The domino's will fall quickly on coaching appointments after the GF, I'd imagine it's a challenge to squeeze in some more experienced coaches under the soft cap.

Why would it be a challenge? Every other club manages why can?t we?

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 10:42 AM
Why would it be a challenge? Every other club manages why can?t we?

We were tight with our footy department staying under the soft cap imposed this year. It meant we didn't replace Chris Maple and split the role across 3 others and we also didn't do our normal camp up in QLD due to the costs involved settling for one at Rye.

We've lost 2 assistant coaches, a development coach and the head of our sports science team so it's going to take a bit of time to come together. Yes all clubs do it and yes so will we as well but lets give it a bit of time.

azabob
27-09-2023, 12:03 PM
We were tight with our footy department staying under the soft cap imposed this year. It meant we didn't replace Chris Maple and split the role across 3 others and we also didn't do our normal camp up in QLD due to the costs involved settling for one at Rye.

We've lost 2 assistant coaches, a development coach and the head of our sports science team so it's going to take a bit of time to come together. Yes all clubs do it and yes so will we as well but lets give it a bit of time.

Have we poorly managed our soft cap distribution?

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Have we poorly managed our soft cap distribution?

Hard to say, perhaps we have invested proportionally more in the sport science side but I heard it mentionted by Bevo, Grant and even Rohan Smith that the cap was tight. Lets see the finished set-up to see where we might have better balance.

azabob
27-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Hard to say, perhaps we have invested proportionally more in the sport science side but I heard it mentionted by Bevo, Grant and even Rohan Smith that the cap was tight. Lets see the finished set-up to see where we might have better balance.

I have a real uneasy feeling that the club is moving a lot of piece's off field and is taking our time replacing them (which I totally understand) which will impact our on field performance during 2024.

Which the flow on could be further instability in our coaching ranks and also losing key players in the process.

Between now and the start of 2024 a lot of work has to be done and more importantly we have to nail our off field hires otherwise the ride will get a whole lot rockier.

lemmon
27-09-2023, 12:28 PM

Genuine question - do your sources have any info on what's happened with Dew? I think you said he was on the verge of being announced about three weeks ago.

Vred
27-09-2023, 03:11 PM
Genuine question - do your sources have any info on what's happened with Dew? I think you said he was on the verge of being announced about three weeks ago.

Mate, I was told by a bloody board member that he was ''all but across the line'' & ''expect an announcement within a few weeks'' - I have no idea what has transpired since that conversation. I was told we even agreed to his high asking price to get him across the line.

I'd assume that Cricket Aus gave him an offer he couldn't say no to, money speaks at the end of the day.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-09-2023, 03:18 PM
It's actually surprising we've let some assistants go but have made no announcement on replacements. Did we let them go without having anyone lined up?

Vred
27-09-2023, 03:43 PM
It's actually surprising we've let some assistants go but have made no announcement on replacements. Did we let them go without having anyone lined up?

100% yes.

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 03:44 PM

It's sort of the nature of the beast. You have to give assistant coaches coming out of contract notice if you aren't going to offer them another deal and this is what we did with Rohan Smith. Webb going meant we are are two assistant coaches down and then we've since let Varcoe go from the development coaches team.

You can hold discussions with a wide range of potential candidates but the appointments will typically take some time.

Vred
27-09-2023, 03:46 PM

Actually, if you want to be really pissed off at our lack of care.

Webb informed the club around the bye that he was going to head back to WA to be with his family/wife. We knew he was going no matter the outcome of the season. No replacement lined up.

DOG GOD
27-09-2023, 05:20 PM
Actually, if you want to be really pissed off at our lack of care.

Webb informed the club around the bye that he was going to head back to WA to be with his family/wife. We knew he was going no matter the outcome of the season. No replacement lined up.

Why am I not surprised by this.

bornadog
27-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Why am I not surprised by this.

Wouldn't you wait till year end to see who will be available?

JanLorMill
27-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Meanwhile Dew is gone, Ratten is gone. We are waiting to see who’s left.

jazzadogs
27-09-2023, 05:47 PM

I think we should be actively approaching the people we want, otherwise they might choose to stay at their current clubs because they don't know they're wanted elsewhere.

JanLorMill
27-09-2023, 05:50 PM
I think we should be actively approaching the people we want, otherwise they might choose to stay at their current clubs because they don't know they're wanted elsewhere.
I’d say we have but they got better offers

Axe Man
27-09-2023, 05:52 PM
There is an amazing amount of presumption and outright guessing going on in this thread. I highly doubt anybody here knows what we have and haven't done in regards to off field appointments. Can we at least wait until our coaching staff are finalised before we burn down Whitten Oval?

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 05:52 PM

I'd imagine there is some pre-work with managers to know who's out of contract and who might be willing to listen to offers but essentially you have to wait until at least the H&A season is over.
Just looking at what happened at Richmond with McQualter interviewing for the senior position any club interested needs to wait until that process is completed.

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 05:53 PM
There is an amazing amount of presumption and outright guessing going on in this thread. I highly doubt anybody here knows what we have and haven't done in regards to off field appointments. Can we at least wait until our coaching staff are finalised before we burn down Whitten Oval?

The GF hasn't been completed so we shouldn't be expecting all positions will be filled that quickly. We should know more in the next 2 weeks.

MrMahatma
27-09-2023, 05:56 PM
There's aren't THAT many assistant coaching jobs in the AFL. I find it hard to believe that a job at the Dogs is SO undesirable that we aren't going to get the quality we want, provided that we're offering appropriate remuneration (which I'm sure we will be - at least comparable to other clubs).

MrMahatma
27-09-2023, 05:57 PM
The GF hasn't been completed so we shouldn't be expecting all positions will be filled that quickly. We should know more in the next 2 weeks.

I'm still optimistic (blindly?) that we'll have a good roster of off-field staff at the beginning of pre-season.

bornadog
27-09-2023, 05:57 PM

So much stress going on, but very little patience.

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 05:58 PM
I'm still optimistic (blindly?) that we'll have a good roster of off-field staff at the beginning of pre-season.

Me to. With a new facility and some exciting players on the playing list it's seems like a good destination for emerging and established coaches.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-09-2023, 06:01 PM
So much stress going on, but very little patience.

Can you blame everyone? We've been stagnant for so long everyone has lost faith. The frustration has been going on for multiple seasons now and everyone has asked for change so I can understand everyone is out of patience watching us underachieve.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-09-2023, 06:02 PM

It just got redeveloped!

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Can you blame everyone? We've been stagnant for so long everyone has lost faith. The frustration has been going on for multiple seasons now and everyone has asked for change so I can understand everyone is out of patience watching us underachieve.

I agree there is frustration with a lot of people because we haven't been that convincing over the last couple of years but if we look at the bigger picture we need to be a bit patient with assistant coaching appointments. It will all come together soon enough.

doggies ftw
27-09-2023, 06:43 PM
There's aren't THAT many assistant coaching jobs in the AFL. I find it hard to believe that a job at the Dogs is SO undesirable that we aren't going to get the quality we want, provided that we're offering appropriate remuneration (which I'm sure we will be - at least comparable to other clubs).
Anyone who doesn?t have an opportunity somewhere else is not someone you want though

DOG GOD
27-09-2023, 06:58 PM
Well it wouldn?t hurt to get on the front foot early to get an idea at least of who might be available. You?re not going to offer a job in august, so word should get around about who might become available and a little conversation couldn?t hurt. We ALWAYS seem to be on the back foot when it comes to player availability. We don?t seem to be a club that WANTS to be on the front foot, but rather see what falls in our lap.

bornadog
27-09-2023, 07:04 PM
Well it wouldn?t hurt to get on the front foot early to get an idea at least of who might be available. You?re not going to offer a job in august, so word should get around about who might become available and a little conversation couldn?t hurt. We ALWAYS seem to be on the back foot when it comes to player availability. We don?t seem to be a club that WANTS to be on the front foot, but rather see what falls in our lap.

you don't know that

GVGjr
27-09-2023, 07:11 PM

I think that is a long bow to draw, I have a differing view and I'd be surprised if we haven't been proactive with our searches.

DOG GOD
27-09-2023, 07:17 PM
you don't know that
True, I don’t, but nothing I’ve seen over the last 3-4 years in particular makes my opinion any different. Time will tell.

DOG GOD
27-09-2023, 07:17 PM
I think that is a long bow to draw, I have a differing view and I'd be surprised if we haven't been proactive with our searches.
I hope your right, and I’ll eat my words if you are ;)

Grantysghost
27-09-2023, 07:25 PM
I hope your right, and I’ll eat my words if you are ;)

On camera! ;)

I'm understanding of the frustration however have we ever noticed when coaches are signed in the past?
I get it's front of mind at the moment due to the poor season we've had however I'm not bothered with timings as long as they're in place at the appropriate time (whenever that is).

doggies ftw
27-09-2023, 08:40 PM
On camera! ;)

I'm understanding of the frustration however have we ever noticed when coaches are signed in the past?
I get it's front of mind at the moment due to the poor season we've had however I'm not bothered with timings as long as they're in place at the appropriate time (whenever that is).
There’s been 3 taken off the market just today, it’s not panic stations yet by any means but it’s a bit of a concern when we need to fill not 1 but likely 3 positions. It’s also a bit of a worry we didn’t have anyone lined up to sign straight away considering we’ve known about 2 departures for months and probably all 3 (Webb, Smith gone, Spangher to a different role - if that does even end up happening)

If we get the people we want then of course timing doesn’t matter but we’d wanna hope we’re pretty far down the road with 1 or 2. We have to hear something next week after the GF is done

LifeLongBulldog
27-09-2023, 08:55 PM
What three assistant coaches were taken today?

doggies ftw
27-09-2023, 09:08 PM
What three assistant coaches were taken today?

Ratten to Hawks, Newman to Tigs who we were both semi linked to, and Clarke to Norf.

azabob
27-09-2023, 09:27 PM
Ratten to Hawks, Newman to Tigs who we were both semi linked to, and Clarke to Norf.

Rahilly from Crows to Cats also.

doggies ftw
27-09-2023, 09:33 PM
Rahilly from Crows to Cats also.

Don’t think that’s confirmed yet but yeah looks likely, if he wants to come home we should make an offer too good to refuse - only just up the road after all. Would bring an enormous amount of experience from a successful Geelong side and has done absolute wonders with the crows forward line.

Axe Man
27-09-2023, 09:49 PM
Travis Varcoe interviewed on Yokayi Footy. Was offered a 1 year contract but decided to step back to spend more time with his family.

jazzadogs
27-09-2023, 10:12 PM
Nathan Bassett didn't get a contract at Port. Been coaching a long time, pretty sure he was considered for senior roles in the past - any opinions?

MrMahatma
27-09-2023, 10:19 PM
Anyone who doesn?t have an opportunity somewhere else is not someone you want though

Isn?t everyone up in arms we don?t have Dew who was just sacked by another club? And wanting McQualter who was rejected by another? I?m not saying they?re bad, but saying anyone who doesn?t have a job currently is no good is a bit harsh.

lemmon
27-09-2023, 10:56 PM
Travis Varcoe interviewed on Yokayi Footy. Was offered a 1 year contract but decided to step back to spend more time with his family.

I saw on Facebook that he'll be taking on the head coach role at Altona!

Vred
27-09-2023, 11:12 PM
Andddd it sounds like Dimma has convinced McQualter to head to Gold Coast with him for next season..
Cool, we’ll be scraping the barrel for literally anyone at this rate.
Almost every single coach that I’m told we’ve spoken to is choosing elsewhere over WO. Make of that what you will but **** if doesn’t fill me with confidence.

”wait wait wait and see season isn’t over yet”
I completely disagree with this sentiment. Knowing what I know, landing good assistant coaches is “first in best dressed” - right now we are stuck in traffic wearing a pirate outfit with the asscheeks missing.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2023, 11:23 PM
Terrific. Ignore everything but back Bevo in because we will get a bunch of good assistants to turn the club around.

This is going as good as the original game plan set for 2023 that lasted two weeks.

Don’t trade future picks now.

hujsh
27-09-2023, 11:46 PM
Seems a strange move for someone with senior coach ambitions to follow the senior coach they were just working with...

1eyedog
27-09-2023, 11:46 PM
Why would you choose to be mentored by a control freak? It's an oxymoron.

kruder
28-09-2023, 12:25 AM
Yeah it seems strange that we have been doing a review since midyear and yet still haven't signed any replacements.

kruder
28-09-2023, 12:29 AM

That kind of sounds like waiting for the ball to come to you?

doggies ftw
28-09-2023, 01:00 AM
The ‘ITK’ poster around here gets all his info from random snippets off Bigfooty lmao, wouldn’t listen to them to be honest

Vred
28-09-2023, 01:06 AM
The ‘ITK’ poster around here gets all his info from random snippets off Bigfooty lmao, wouldn’t listen to them to be honest

Ayo, look, I'm lucky if I look at BF once a month, I lump BF in with the Dogs facebook groups, full of cringe takes and really dumb opinions.

I speak with a mod here privately, he knows my sources, but if my input isn't appreciated I'll just keep shit to myself from now on and keep out of conversations, easily done.

jeemak
28-09-2023, 02:03 AM

Ohhhhhh, what a disgraceful effort on the club's part. Must be mismanagement.

jeemak
28-09-2023, 02:07 AM
Ayo, look, I'm lucky if I look at BF once a month, I lump BF in with the Dogs facebook groups, full of cringe takes and really dumb opinions.

I speak with a mod here privately, he knows my sources, but if my input isn't appreciated I'll just keep shit to myself from now on and keep out of conversations, easily done.

Your input is appreciated.

Not sure the one Mod who runs the site you just outed as a confidant would feel great about that admission though.

Bulldog4life
28-09-2023, 02:35 AM

I love sensible posts. There hasn't been a lot recently that I've read.

The Doctor
28-09-2023, 07:24 AM

Vred, don't let that bother you. There are always sceptics on footy forums. They exist because so many people claim to be ITK when they are not. Thankfully that doesn't happen here very often.

Your intel is greatly appreciated.

JanLorMill
28-09-2023, 08:26 AM
So are we going the draft route for assistant coaches too?

EasternWest
28-09-2023, 09:51 AM

Nah you're good I appreciate your input. I appreciate everyone's input.

chef
28-09-2023, 09:58 AM

Have some respect mate, Vred goes out of his way to give great info he doesn't need to.

bornadog
28-09-2023, 10:00 AM

Vred, appreciate your input into WOOF, please keep it up. Lots of talk in football circles and lots of Footy Managers have a wish list for their club.

Hopefully we keep Naughton, Tim, JUH and sign them beyond 2024 and we snare some good assistants to help Bevo.

WBFC4FFC
28-09-2023, 10:02 AM
Andddd it sounds like Dimma has convinced McQualter to head to Gold Coast with him for next season..
Cool, we?ll be scraping the barrel for literally anyone at this rate.
Almost every single coach that I?m told we?ve spoken to is choosing elsewhere over WO. Make of that what you will but **** if doesn?t fill me with confidence.

?wait wait wait and see season isn?t over yet?
I completely disagree with this sentiment. Knowing what I know, landing good assistant coaches is ?first in best dressed? - right now we are stuck in traffic wearing a pirate outfit with the asscheeks missing.

West Coke we?re after McQualter too, so it was not a 2-horse race.

The worry is Dew has been mentioned for weeks but nothing official. Is he holding out for a better offer?

doggies ftw
28-09-2023, 10:24 AM
Have some respect mate, Vred goes out of his way to give great info he doesn't need to.

He’s regurgitating any info he finds online and claiming it as his own, name one single piece of info he’s been correct on ��

I’ll leave it at that you can all form your own opinions & listen to him if you like

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2023, 10:27 AM
He’s regurgitating any info he finds online and claiming it as his own, name one single piece of info he’s been correct on ��

I’ll leave it at that you can all form your own opinions & listen to him if you like

You know, the stuff you see on BF could be the same source......

hujsh
28-09-2023, 10:30 AM
He?s regurgitating any info he finds online and claiming it as his own, name one single piece of info he?s been correct on ��

I?ll leave it at that you can all form your own opinions & listen to him if you like

Seems to be right that the club will retain Bevo and look to strengthen the coaching ranks around him. The execution though...

Also always remember that even people with an 'inside source' will always be limited to
a) what that source knows
b) what that source wants known (and this may or may not include accurate information)

We don't know who the source is, what they know and what their agenda is. Even their relationship to the poster. That's why, to his credit, Vred says to apply a good dose of salt to these tidbits.

Even with all that said I still find them interesting so keep em coming

EasternWest
28-09-2023, 10:33 AM

It's ok. I like hearing your opinion on it too. Contrary ideas are what keeps the conversation going and we should all be here for it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-09-2023, 10:44 AM
And to reiterate what others have said.
I'm all for divergent views being expressed here, and for the sharing of Intel and rumour.
It's what makes this place great is the conversation around the differences in our viewpoints. It would be a boring and banal experience if the site was just an Echo chamber for a particular point of view.

chef
28-09-2023, 11:00 AM

And thats cool to give your info too, just dont see the need to shit on Vred for doing the same.

EasternWest
28-09-2023, 11:00 AM
and to reiterate what others have said.
I'm all for divergent views being expressed here, and for the sharing of intel and rumour.
It's what makes this place great is the conversation around the differences in our viewpoints. It would be a boring and banal experience if the site was just an echo chamber for a particular point of view.

ssyhf.

Virgin-Dog
28-09-2023, 11:14 AM
You know, the stuff you see on BF could be the same source......
I think you’ll find 9/10 of the ITKs on Bigfooty are absolutely full of shit. It’s pretty cringe reading it but pretty funny at the same time seeing the desperation for attention

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2023, 11:24 AM
I think you’ll find 9/10 of the ITKs on Bigfooty are absolutely full of shit. It’s pretty cringe reading it but pretty funny at the same time seeing the desperation for attention

I do agree. But it's not what I meant.....

Anyway I'm speculating about speculation.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2023, 11:30 AM
I do agree. But it's not what I meant.....

Anyway I'm speculating about speculation.

Objection! Calls for speculation.

bornadog
28-09-2023, 12:02 PM

Is there any reason to have a go at a fellow poster?

This sort of post turns people off and they end up leaving the forum. No wonder GVGjr is thinking of closing the place down.

1eyedog
28-09-2023, 12:16 PM
He?s regurgitating any info he finds online and claiming it as his own, name one single piece of info he?s been correct on ��

I?ll leave it at that you can all form your own opinions & listen to him if you like

Just scroll on then my dude. It's Ag.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-09-2023, 01:03 PM
We may also wait until after the best and fairest next week to announce the new appointments. Who knows, maybe that's the unofficial close of 2023.

Grantysghost
28-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Cool, we’ll be scraping the barrel for literally anyone at this rate.
Almost every single coach that I’m told we’ve spoken to is choosing elsewhere over WO. Make of that what you will but **** if doesn’t fill me with confidence.

”wait wait wait and see season isn’t over yet”
I completely disagree with this sentiment. Knowing what I know, landing good assistant coaches is “first in best dressed” - right now we are stuck in traffic wearing a pirate outfit with the asscheeks missing.

Wonder if there's a Bevo factor involved? As in, has he made the required relationships in the right way to make him someone you'd want to try and further your career with?
The world runs on relationships.

Grantysghost
28-09-2023, 02:01 PM
I saw on Facebook that he'll be taking on the head coach role at Altona!

Pretty strong club.

angelopetraglia
29-09-2023, 04:04 PM
Varcoe talking here https://fb.watch/nm51C3HNwp/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Was offered a one year deal but wanted more time with his family. Spoke highly of Bevo.

Raels_d
29-09-2023, 08:07 PM
Can confirm the club has had discussions with Michael Barlow this week - North Melbourne have also contacted him.

ledge
29-09-2023, 08:11 PM
Can confirm the club has had discussions with Michael Barlow this week - North Melbourne have also contacted him.

And so he should be on the radar.
Everything I have heard is extremely impressive.

Grantysghost
29-09-2023, 08:29 PM

Nice, I think that's a good move.

jeemak
29-09-2023, 08:31 PM
If McQualter is heading to GC then it's either for money, lifestyle or both. If he wants to be a senior coach then following Hardwick around isn't a great idea.

kruder
29-09-2023, 08:40 PM
Barlow and Mannagh wouldn't be a bad combo.

I must say I do like the idea of a young up and coming coach like Barlow and another from a successful system to steal I.P and learn off.

GVGjr
29-09-2023, 08:46 PM
If McQualter is heading to GC then it's either for money, lifestyle or both. If he wants to be a senior coach then following Hardwick around isn't a great idea.

Agree on that. It reeks on being a safe decision more than one that could enhance his senior coaching ambitions.

Of course Bunnings might weigh in an offer to have Hardwick be the public face of their sausage sizzle and McQualter might be get the top job sooner than later.

Barlow is a good one to be having a talk to.

Should we be sounding out Leon Cameron for the GM role if we are to fill it?

FrediKanoute
29-09-2023, 10:33 PM
I love all this speculation. I know nothing concrete to add.

MrMahatma
30-09-2023, 12:45 AM
Agree on that. It reeks on being a safe decision more than one that could enhance his senior coaching ambitions.

Of course Bunnings might weigh in an offer to have Hardwick be the public face of their sausage sizzle and McQualter might be get the top job sooner than later.

Barlow is a good one to be having a talk to.

Should we be sounding out Leon Cameron for the GM role if we are to fill it?

Dimma has a six… yes… six year deal. If Mcqualter wants a senior gig he’s now assistant to the dude with the longest contract in the league. That said, how often does an assistant replace the senior coach at the same club? So maybe it doesn’t matter where he goes?

azabob
30-09-2023, 08:22 AM
Dimma has a six… yes… six year deal. If Mcqualter wants a senior gig he’s now assistant to the dude with the longest contract in the league. That said, how often does an assistant replace the senior coach at the same club? So maybe it doesn’t matter where he goes?

If McQualter wants a senior job in the future wouldn’t it be better to work under a different coach?

ReLoad
30-09-2023, 10:51 AM
FYI.

Sent in my application. Let you know how I go and at what stage I’ll let them know I’ve taken another role.

GVGjr
30-09-2023, 12:45 PM
So we are potentially after 2 x assistant coaches, 1 x development coach, 1 x head of sports science and 1 x GM of footy if we are now to replace Chris Maple.

That's a few interviews to get through. The sports science one might be the hardest to fill quickly.

azabob
30-09-2023, 01:01 PM
So we are potentially after 2 x assistant coaches, 1 x development coach, 1 x head of sports science and 1 x GM of footy if we are now to replace Chris Maple.

That's a few interviews to get through. The sports science one might be the hardest to fill quickly.

Are we officially looking for a GM of footy or are you speculating?

azabob
30-09-2023, 01:02 PM
I wonder if the new head of sports science will want to replace Chris Bell and co?

G-Mo77
30-09-2023, 01:31 PM

Pretty concerning that none are filled. We'd neee to have the coaching side locked and loaded before the trade period and it's hard to see that happening at this stage. It doesn't give off the vibe of stability and it's not exactly ideal to attract players from other clubs having just a head coach with no assistants under him.

I don't know, every little piece I read makes it seem more and more depressing.

GVGjr
30-09-2023, 01:43 PM
Are we officially looking for a GM of footy or are you speculating?

Speculating, it's why I added potentially and if to the summary. It needs to be filled but might be the last priority to see how much money we can allocate

jeemak
30-09-2023, 02:11 PM
Speculating, it's why I added potentially and if to the summary. It needs to be filled but might be the last priority to see how much money we can allocate

Aza's been picking on you a bit lately.

Scraggers
30-09-2023, 03:20 PM
Speculation … are we not appointing assistant coaches right now because our new appointments are involved in the GF??

G-Mo77
30-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Speculation … are we not appointing assistant coaches right now because our new appointments are involved in the GF??

Wishful thinking you mean ��

GVGjr
30-09-2023, 03:37 PM
Aza's been picking on you a bit lately.

I deserve it though

jeemak
30-09-2023, 10:31 PM
I deserve it though

I mean the soft fascism and father-like presence that keeps us all addicted to this site might have something to answer for...... :)

macca
30-09-2023, 10:52 PM
Speculation ? are we not appointing assistant coaches right now because our new appointments are involved in the GF??

I found out this morning Leppitsch is coaching the pies. He has had incredibke success ar Brisbane (player), tigers and now Pies. Also as at Brisbane as senior coach .

I do hope he is on our radar

bornadog
30-09-2023, 11:38 PM
I found out this morning Leppitsch is coaching the pies. He has had incredibke success ar Brisbane (player), tigers and now Pies. Also as at Brisbane as senior coach .

I do hope he is on our radar

Pretty good team of coaches

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7REK-7bIAAyrc1?format=jpg&name=900x900

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2023, 12:15 AM
What was Jordan Roughead doing on the bench for pies?

GVGjr
01-10-2023, 12:23 AM
What was Jordan Roughead doing on the bench for pies?

He's a development coach for them and scouts the opposition.
Not pictured in BAD's post includes Roughead, Neville Jetta and Andy Otten who are development coaches. Josh Fraser is the VFL coach.

DOG GOD
01-10-2023, 09:50 AM

A bit different to our band of misfits

macca
01-10-2023, 09:50 AM

Good photo @bd

I am glad Bolton has had success , stick it up Carlton
Here is their coaching listhttps://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/teams/afl/coaches
They have a few development coachies

FrediKanoute
01-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Bevo really ddn't like Roughie did he

josie
01-10-2023, 07:49 PM
Bevo really ddn't like Roughie did he

I remember Bevo spoke glowingly of Roughie’s mark in centre square 2016 GF straight after JJ misallowed goal-a pivotal moment. Something soured there for sure, perhaps moreso Roughie towards Bevo. Really sad for a bullgod who barracked for club since he was a child, for his tenure with us to end that way. I was happy for Roughie to do ok at Pies as a player, and for him to be a development coach In yesterday’s Pies success.

macca
01-10-2023, 10:34 PM
I remember Bevo spoke glowingly of Roughie’s mark in centre square 2016 GF straight after JJ misallowed goal-a pivotal moment. Something soured there for sure, perhaps moreso Roughie towards Bevo. Really sad for a bullgod who barracked for club since he was a child, for his tenure with us to end that way. I was happy for Roughie to do ok at Pies as a player, and for him to be a development coach In yesterday’s Pies success.

Collingwood are reaping all of Rougheads skills .
We have done poorly out of this .

Karma ?

Coaches are suppose to bring the best out of people. maybe Bevo style did not suite him , or vice versa.

The outcome at Coingwood showed what Roughy employed for is working. PIES have 3 assitants so not sure if its a fair comparison based on resources.

ledge
01-10-2023, 11:03 PM

Karma ?

Coaches are suppose to bring the best out of people. maybe Bevo style did not suite him , or vice versa.

The outcome at Coingwood showed what Roughy employed for is working. PIES have 3 assitants so not sure if it’s a fair comparison based on resources.

Bevo has taken us to two grand finals and the club is still backing him he can’t be as bad as you’re making out.

jazzadogs
01-10-2023, 11:17 PM

Karma ?

The outcome at Coingwood showed what Roughy employed for is working. PIES have 3 assitants so not sure if its a fair comparison based on resources.

We had the same number of coaches.

McRae = Bevo
Bolton = Lade
Leppitsch = Smith
Selwood = Webb
Skipworth = Spangher

Roughead, Jetta, Otten = Maddocks, SSSM, Varcoe

The Bolton role (Director of Coaching) and the Leppitsch role (Head of Strategy) are different to our roles. Two ex senior coaches.

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 09:54 AM
Just having a quick listen to trade radio and the speculation is that McQualter wants to stay in Melbourne and they talked about him potentially replacing Yze at Melbourne.

If it's true he wants to stay in Melbourne we might still be in the mix.

Earlier Johnno said he would try and find out who is on our radar.

azabob
02-10-2023, 10:36 AM
We had the same number of coaches.

McRae = Bevo
Bolton = Lade
Leppitsch = Smith
Selwood = Webb
Skipworth = Spangher

Roughead, Jetta, Otten = Maddocks, SSSM, Varcoe

The Bolton role (Director of Coaching) and the Leppitsch role (Head of Strategy) are different to our roles. Two ex senior coaches.

I wonder if Collingwood pay over the soft cap or not?

At a guess I would say the Collingwood coaching panel has more $$ invested than we do?

Assuming Beveridge is on a $200K plus more than McRea; but Leppitsch and Bolton would be higher paid than say Lade and Smith. Skipworth has also been around a bit so I assume he would be on more than Spangher.

Topdog
02-10-2023, 10:50 AM
Bevo has taken us to two grand finals and the club is still backing him he can’t be as bad as you’re making out.

I'm 42 years old, Bevo is the only coach to take us to a grand final in my lifetime. Sometimes perspective is good.

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Collingwood pay over the soft cap or not?

At a guess I would say the Collingwood coaching panel has more $$ invested than we do?

Assuming Beveridge is on a $200K plus more than McRea; but Leppitsch and Bolton would be higher paid than say Lade and Smith. Skipworth has also been around a bit so I assume he would be on more than Spangher.

Well they could be spending less in their fitness and sports science set-up.
Without knowing the set-up it's hard to drill down and work out how things are allocated.

Sedat
02-10-2023, 11:52 AM
I don't want a 'name' senior assistant for the sake of it (we got one last year anyway, Lade). I want a quality assistant who has a proven track record of working in successful organisations and who is on the cutting edge of latest game trends.

Don't care who and where from, I just want the best available that will help us get much better. Same goes for the Innes F&C replacement.

Not the slightest bit interested in treading water as a club this off-season like we have done the previous 2. Every decision we make and every single training session we undertake needs to have a laser focus towards the goal of a premiership next season, and genuine contention for the next 4-5 years - it doesn't mean we win the flag next year but we must work towards that specific goal if we are a serious organisation.

Rocco Jones
02-10-2023, 11:56 AM
I don't want a 'name' senior assistant for the sake of it (we got one last year anyway, Lade). I want a quality assistant who has a proven track record of working in successful organisations and who is on the cutting edge of latest game trends.

Don't care who and where from, I just want the best available that will help us get much better. Same goes for the Innes F&C replacement.

Yep, totally. Really, we basically have no idea how good assistants are.

My concern would be more trying and failing to get a heap of senior assistants and then being left with the dregs. But yeah, better > known.

azabob
02-10-2023, 12:13 PM

We should also be looking very closely at a recently retired players also. Everyone starts somewhere!

I've mentioned Phil Davis a couple of times; we should have already been knocking on his door and asking what his plans are. He is well versed in the modern game, articulate and has seen a lot of different coaches and game plans. Didn't win a flag but got fairly bloody close a couple of times and has also seen the lows.

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 01:32 PM
Name or no name assistants. It was sold to us that solutions to problems was a change of assistants and support staff. At the moment was is it? 5 out 0 in.

bornadog
02-10-2023, 01:33 PM
Name or no name assistants. It was sold to us that solutions to problems was a change of assistants and support staff. At the moment was is? 5 out 0 in.

That will be a massive change

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 01:37 PM
That will be a massive change
5 is Not my choice. Maybe 1 or 2 new appointments would be encouraging. September was horrible month for us. Hard to build any fan confidence. Imagine trying to sell $50 raffle tickets?

chef
02-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Still no news?

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 04:28 PM
Name or no name assistants. It was sold to us that solutions to problems was a change of assistants and support staff. At the moment was is it? 5 out 0 in.

I might have missed something here but who from the club sold us that coaching changes would be the solution?

Topdog
02-10-2023, 04:30 PM
I might have missed something here but who from the club sold us that coaching changes would be the solution?

Outcome of the review certainly alluded to it

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Outcome of the review certainly alluded to it

Thanks TD, is there a link to this?

bornadog
02-10-2023, 05:16 PM
Still no news?

On trade Radio they mentioned a big name Assistant on the cards, but no names

G-Mo77
02-10-2023, 05:21 PM
On trade Radio they mentioned a big name Assistant on the cards, but no names

On the cards for us or in general?

bornadog
02-10-2023, 05:25 PM
On the cards for us or in general?

Sounded like we had someone - but was vague

Axe Man
02-10-2023, 05:28 PM
On trade Radio they mentioned a big name Assistant on the cards, but no manes

So a bald guy? :D

bornadog
02-10-2023, 05:30 PM
So a bald guy? :D

Could be :D

bornadog
02-10-2023, 05:31 PM
North Melbourne has signed Michael Barlow as the club's new head of development. The 35-year-old will join the Kangaroos after coaching Werribee in the VFL for the past three seasons.

Grantysghost
02-10-2023, 05:32 PM
North Melbourne has signed Michael Barlow as the club's new head of development. The 35-year-old will join the Kangaroos after coaching Werribee in the VFL for the past three seasons.

Nice. Good on him.

Topdog
02-10-2023, 05:37 PM
Thanks TD, is there a link to this?

Not sure if we formally released one but it was made clear that a review was happening and everyone kept their job except for some assistant coaches.

azabob
02-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Not sure if we formally released one but it was made clear that a review was happening and everyone kept their job except for some assistant coaches.

That is the problem in a nutshell TD. We apparently did a review last year also... but wasn't released.

This years review could be still ongoing, could be completed, may never have been started... but nothing has been released.

azabob
02-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Well they could be spending less in their fitness and sports science set-up.
Without knowing the set-up it's hard to drill down and work out how things are allocated.

Geelong are chasing Steven King. Another club seemingly investing heavily in its coaching ranks.

Chris Scott, Nigel Lappin and adding King to the mix.

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Geelong are chasing Steven King. Another club seemingly investing heavily in its coaching ranks.

Chris Scott, Nigel Lappin and adding King to the mix.

I'd be okay with us being linked again with King. He would have learned a lot in his time at the Suns.

Grantysghost
02-10-2023, 06:04 PM
I'd be okay with us being linked again with King. He would have learned a lot in his time at the Suns.

He'd probably not want to return to us I'd guess.

You'd think career wise the more diverse his experience the better.

Me saying that on the back of 25 years at the same place this month.....
I get a gift at least. Equal to 20$/yr.

bornadog
02-10-2023, 06:07 PM
5 is Not my choice. Maybe 1 or 2 new appointments would be encouraging. September was horrible month for us. Hard to build any fan confidence. Imagine trying to sell $50 raffle tickets?

Here are some changes for you

More footy department changes at @stkildafc
Head doctor Brett Frenkiel + three physios have left, including the head physio.

This follows psychologist Ben Robbins last month & fitness boss Nick Walsh in May. Lots of change behind the scenes at Moorabbin as the new(ish) regime sweeps through

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 06:14 PM
He'd probably not want to return to us I'd guess.

You'd think career wise the more diverse his experience the better.

Me saying that on the back of 25 years at the same place this month.....
I get a gift at least. Equal to 20$/yr.

I agree, it's an unlikely scenario but if McQualter moved North and King read the signs and wanted a return to Melbourne I'd hope we give him a call to gauge his interest.

Sedat
02-10-2023, 06:20 PM
I know nothing about what makes an assistant coach any good, but the type of background/experience I'm hoping we target is someone like a Hayden Skipworth type. Has coached his own VFL team, has run an academy and also been an integral part of the Pies coaching set-up in the last 2 years.

Also he wasn't culled by Graham Wright when he came in straight after the Buckley era, which says to be he is very highly valued internally at the filth.

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 06:28 PM
No one missed us losing to bottom sides and missing the finals altogether when top 4 was mentioned ? Is that being glossed over?
Not renewing R Smith?s contract and letting Innes move on tell us they were more part of the problem and not the solution.
This forum has even discussed possible coaching issues. Was the review another sham?
If coaching changes isn?t a solution, what is? No changes will get the same results next year.

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 06:31 PM
Here are some changes for you
St kilda made finals when they weren’t expected to. We not only missed top 4 we missed finals.

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 06:34 PM
I agree, it's an unlikely scenario but if McQualter moved North and King read the signs and wanted a return to Melbourne I'd hope we give him a call to gauge his interest.
King is under contract. Talk is Geelong are trying to lure him out in a swap with Grigg.

bornadog
02-10-2023, 06:34 PM
St kilda made finals when they weren’t expected to. We not only missed top 4 we missed finals.

What's that got to do with anything?

JanLorMill
02-10-2023, 06:36 PM
What's that got to do with anything?
It’s about selling hope. Stkilda have it in spades

kruder
02-10-2023, 07:14 PM
It sounds like Barlow is off to North in a development role.

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 08:02 PM
It sounds like Barlow is off to North in a development role.

I think he would have enough experience to be a line coach but that's probably a great starting point for him.
It looks like a good appointment for North.

jazzadogs
02-10-2023, 08:59 PM

"Head of Development" probably meant they beat our offer, as we already have Jamie Maddocks (3x St Bede's premiership player) in the Development Manager role.

Grantysghost
02-10-2023, 09:19 PM
"Head of Development" probably meant they beat our offer, as we already have Jamie Maddocks (3x St Bede's premiership player) in the Development Manager role.

Oh behave.

I think any Catholic school on the bay counts for Bevo.