PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

kruder
02-10-2023, 10:38 PM
I'd be okay with us being linked again with King. He would have learned a lot in his time at the Suns.

On how not to make the 8? Surely we are crying out for a new voice?

bornadog
02-10-2023, 10:42 PM

I would prefer new voices

bulldogtragic
02-10-2023, 10:45 PM

Harsh…

…How to have heaps of highly talented players on a list and not win games.

Couldn’t agree more on the new voice. Why are we always linked to ex players or coaches? This off season I’ve seen King, Gia, Boyd, Murphy, Cameron etc. Are we that incapable or unwilling to find new people?

Grantysghost
02-10-2023, 10:46 PM
Harsh…

…How to have heaps of highly talented players on a list and not win games.

Couldn’t agree more on the new voice. Why are we always linked to ex players or coaches? This off season I’ve seen King, Gia, Boyd, Murphy, Cameron etc. Are we that incapable or unwilling to find new people?

Lade, Spangher, Webb?

1eyedog
02-10-2023, 10:47 PM

That club is doomed I tell ya. Reckon King still has good connections at the club. We did well when he was around we could do far worse imo.

Obviously works well with Bevo.

kruder
02-10-2023, 10:56 PM
My biggest concern at the club is Grant, if anyone has heard his interview on SEN post season it was far from convincing. I'd be stunned if we haven't got a senior assistant lined up since the review began mid year, knowing some of the coaching staff were moving on and also the fact the Bevos wage was freeing up cap space. If we have not and left it last minute then It's the definition of incompetence.

I'm not going to panic yet lets see what happens over the next month and as we have said many times the first handful of games next year will answer many questions.

GVGjr
02-10-2023, 11:26 PM

It's an interesting perspective if the assumption is only people from successful clubs can help a team.

The Collingwood assistants haven't necessarily come from successful coaching appointments and it's about working with and supporting the head coach and I think King has some of those qualities. You might be right and perhaps it's just too early to consider him returning but I'm not sure why you discrediting him for his 2 years at the Suns.

Grantysghost
02-10-2023, 11:36 PM
It's an interesting perspective if the assumption is only people from successful clubs can help a team.

The Collingwood assistants haven't necessarily come from successful coaching appointments and it's about working with and supporting the head coach and I think King has some of those qualities. Perhaps it's just too early to consider him returning but I'm not sure why you discrediting him for his 2 years at the Suns.

Two ex senior coaches at Pies. Could Bevo absorb that?

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 12:01 AM
Two ex senior coaches at Pies. Could Bevo absorb that?

They've had to curb their ambitions and have jumped in behind their now premiership coach.
I wonder if Grant thinks that's the sort of experience we need but we will start to get linked to some names soon enough.

jazzadogs
03-10-2023, 12:14 AM
I heard a comment from McRae today "I'm not arrogant, but I'm a winner. I'm in the business of winning. Every day I'm looking at ways I can get better, so that I win".

I think Bevo and Bont are winners. I'm not sure how many others we have with that attitude. I think that's a priority for this off season, on and off field.

Sedat
03-10-2023, 12:58 AM
My biggest concern at the club is Grant, if anyone has heard his interview on SEN post season it was far from convincing. I'd be stunned if we haven't got a senior assistant lined up since the review began mid year, knowing some of the coaching staff were moving on and also the fact the Bevos wage was freeing up cap space. If we have not and left it last minute then It's the definition of incompetence.

I'm not going to panic yet lets see what happens over the next month and as we have said many times the first handful of games next year will answer many questions.
Agreed unfortunately. Granty doesn't compare well with his counterpart at Collingwood, Graham Wright. A high quality head of footy can make a big difference in a short space of time, as Wright has done.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 08:40 AM
Is working for Bevo is a selling point or a drawback? I would’ve thought the former, but there’s no apparent queue to get here. I didn’t think we’d be in October with three assistants down, a fitness boss down and still no Maple replacement. When other clubs are signing them up by the day, I’m starting to wonder why assistants aren’t wanting to work here under a premiership coach.

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Is working for Bevo is a selling point or a drawback? I would’ve thought the former, but there’s no apparent queue to get here. I didn’t think we’d be in October with three assistants down, a fitness boss down and still no Maple replacement. When other clubs are signing them up by the day, I’m starting to wonder why assistants aren’t wanting to work here under a premiership coach.

It should be seen by assistant coaches as a real positive. Bevo's a premiership coach, we are about to have an excellent training facility and we have a playing list that has under-performed but with some very exciting talent. I'd imagine most assistant coaches would would think it's a good destination
Ambitious assistant coaches might be put off by having the experienced Brendan Lade in front of them but if you look at the Pies set-up being part of a united coaching team has worked well for Bolton and Leppa.

Lets see what starts to jump off by the end of the week.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 10:28 AM
It should be seen by assistant coaches as a real positive. Bevo's a premiership coach, we are about to have an excellent training facility and we have a playing list that has under-performed but with some very exciting talent. I'd imagine most assistant coaches would would think it's a good destination
Ambitious assistant coaches might be put off by having the experienced Brendan Lade in front of them but if you look at the Pies set-up being part of a united coaching team has worked well for Bolton and Leppa.

Lets see what starts to jump off by the end of the week.

Plus could be a bit of dead man walking too.

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 10:32 AM
Plus could be a bit of dead man walking too.

Agreed, that point would not be lost on a few of the more ambitious types.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 10:38 AM
Agreed, that point would not be lost on a few of the more ambitious types.

I really hope Gia is in the mix.

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 10:53 AM
I really hope Gia is in the mix.

It might be harder for him to come back to us as an assistant with Lade potentially ahead of him but I do rate Gia.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Entitled prick reporting on SEN that Dew isn't coming to the dogs.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 11:43 AM

You’ll need to be more specific on which one.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-10-2023, 11:43 AM
You’ll need to be more specific on which one.

T Morris.

No that's too obvious.

Tom M.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Seriously, are we that toxic no assistant or player wants to come to our club? What is our sales pitch that to these guys, such that they’re all so far going ‘yeah, nah’.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-10-2023, 11:58 AM
Seriously, are we that toxic no assistant or player wants to come to our club? What is our sales pitch that to these guys, such that they’re all so far going ‘yeah, nah’.

It's concerning. I'm trying to reserve judgement until the end of the trade period but it's difficult when we hear absolutely nothing positive regarding the club after a terrible season.

We're all hopelessly hoping the club is keeping some big happy news quiet but that's rarely the case.

We've heard nothing about the "review". Not a single replacement to the coaching panel which saw plenty of outgoings. No players linked with coming to us. Just our marquee players leaving and us giving away first round draft picks like candy.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 12:03 PM
It's concerning. I'm trying to reserve judgement until the end of the trade period but it's difficult when we hear absolutely nothing positive regarding the club after a terrible season.

We're all hopelessly hoping the club is keeping some big happy news quiet but that's rarely the case.

We've heard nothing about the "review". Not a single replacement to the coaching panel which saw plenty of outgoings. No players linked with coming to us. Just our marquee players leaving and us giving away first round draft picks like candy.

Yep. Will wait for a few weeks, but we really need some sense things are going to better with our off field and on field personnel. We haven’t even confirmed Croft wanting to come to us yet (which he still might yet do). I just don’t know what our sales pitch is, because no one right now is buying what we are selling. May it change quickly.

Critter
03-10-2023, 12:07 PM

To be fair to him, he reported a few weeks ago that Stuart Dew wasn't coming to the Dogs

hujsh
03-10-2023, 12:28 PM
To be fair to him, he reported a few weeks ago that Stuart Dew wasn't coming to the Dogs

Yeah is this news? I thought we knew he was going to the cricket team

kruder
03-10-2023, 02:46 PM
Morris stating that McQualter choosing between Dogs and Dees.

angelopetraglia
03-10-2023, 02:54 PM
"I think Melbourne, I think the Western Bulldogs could be in the mix as well. Also Geelong is looking at some coaching mix as well, after some movement in their assistant coaching panel too."

- Cal Twomey on the potential club Andrew McQualter will land at

Hotdog60
03-10-2023, 04:10 PM
If he's smart he would get a toe in at the Dogs especially is we have another poor year.

G-Mo77
03-10-2023, 04:40 PM
Wasn't he going to Gold Coast? He's probably using us as leverage to get some more $ elsewhere.

angelopetraglia
03-10-2023, 04:48 PM
Wasn't he going to Gold Coast? He's probably using us as leverage to get some more $ elsewhere.

If he wants to be a senior coach, spending more time under Hardwick is probably not going to help him. What more can he learn from him? Better going to a different environment. However, most senior coaches are normally plucked from clubs who have had recent success. So that would be playing on his mind for sure, if he is serious about being a senior coach the difference in $$$ should not be a big factor IMHO.

angelopetraglia
03-10-2023, 04:54 PM
Recent coaching appointments with no prior senior experience:

Kinglsey - Spent time at Richmond and was there for the 2019 and 2020 Premierships
McCrae - Was at Richmond for there three Premierships
Fagan - Was at Hawthorn for their four Premierships
Mitchell - Was at the Eagles for their 2018 Premiership (also his playing experience played a signigicant role)
Yze - At Melbourne for their 2021 Premiership. Was at Hawthorn for their three Premierships.

So being at the right club that is having success appears to be a crucial ingredient when it comes to winning a senior coaching job!

kruder
03-10-2023, 05:35 PM
If he's smart he would get a toe in at the Dogs especially is we have another poor year.

Im not sure you wanna be a caretaker coach though? I reckon going unraced with untapped potential is preferable which might be the reason why some assistants are staying away.

Hotdog60
03-10-2023, 06:08 PM
I suppose not too many caretakers get the job in the end and those that do have a short lifespan with a few exceptions.

kruder
03-10-2023, 06:48 PM
Recent coaching appointments with no prior senior experience:

Kinglsey - Spent time at Richmond and was there for the 2019 and 2020 Premierships
McCrae - Was at Richmond for there three Premierships
Fagan - Was at Hawthorn for their four Premierships
Mitchell - Was at the Eagles for their 2018 Premiership (also his playing experience played a signigicant role)
Yze - At Melbourne for their 2021 Premiership. Was at Hawthorn for their three Premierships.

So being at the right club that is having success appears to be a crucial ingredient when it comes to winning a senior coaching job!

Yep hence why you wanna target coaches from a successful system. It's unbelievable how many good coaches Clarko has produced and Dimma on his way. We can continue to go down the Franklins route ( I hope you all remember this store) for senior assistants but I'm not sure we will get the players on board. Younger development coaches are a different story, hence why someone like Barlow made so much sense but obviously they are not easy to get either.

chef
03-10-2023, 07:48 PM
McQualter chooses Melbourne.

kruder
03-10-2023, 07:49 PM

I text my Mother(follows melbs) today and said he would choose the Dees over us.

azabob
03-10-2023, 07:51 PM

Where is that reported?

The bulldog tragician
03-10-2023, 07:53 PM

Are they replacing someone? They have some very senior assistants who can’t be cheap.

azabob
03-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Are they replacing someone? They have some very senior assistants who can’t be cheap.

Adam Yze. Richmond coach.

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 07:57 PM
Former Sandringham Dragons coach Jackson Kornberg heading back to Melbourne after spending two successful seasons with Gold Coast Suns, as VFL coach last year and a development coach this year. Should have clubs knocking at his door.

We might be in the mix here.

chef
03-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Where is that reported?

Twomey on 7 news. Hes taking Yze vacant spot.

GVGjr
03-10-2023, 08:01 PM

He's a solid pick-up by the Dees. I wonder what Melbourne offered to get him across.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 08:02 PM

No surprise really.

There's clearly a stench around Bevo.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 08:03 PM
He's a solid pick-up by the Dees. I wonder what Melbourne offered to get him across.

Ability for your input to be heard?

It's becoming kind of clear now to me anyway there's something undesirable about working with Bevo

kruder
03-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Former Sandringham Dragons coach Jackson Kornberg heading back to Melbourne after spending two successful seasons with Gold Coast Suns, as VFL coach last year and a development coach this year. Should have clubs knocking at his door.

We might be in the mix here.

I had a look at his interview on YouTube speaks really well got the suns into the prelim in the VFL last year. He has a lot more experience in coaching than a Spangher I'd be keen. Can Grant land a decent senior assistant though? That's the big question have a feeling it will be someone like Bassett? I'm not sure after a serious review that is a good enough response for mine.

The bulldog tragician
03-10-2023, 08:07 PM

It's becoming kind of clear now to me anyway there's something undesirable about working with Bevo

If so… what has happened to Bevo? I was thinking, watching Craig Macrae, how much he reminded me of Bevo’s first few years and the inclusive, empathy focused approach. I know he has become paranoid re media, but has his working style changed so much?

chef
03-10-2023, 08:08 PM
No surprise really.

There's clearly a stench around Bevo.

Is he too much of a control freak?

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 08:11 PM
If so… what has happened to Bevo? I was thinking, watching Craig Macrae, how much he reminded me of Bevo’s first few years and the inclusive, empathy focused approach. I know he has become paranoid re media, but has his working style changed so much?

He seems tired and burnt out to me.
Emotional leaders work well when things are going ok, conversely it's clear he has really been struggling since covid.
It's pretty clear when we look back at some of his behaviour of late.
He was well behaved this year, however did that dilute the ability for him to go "full Bevo" and work his magic?
It's hard not to think he's got all the hallmarks of someone who's given it everything and has nothing left.
Time will tell.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 08:12 PM
Is he too much of a control freak?

No idea Chef. You do hear anecdotally he's a stubborn bastard. I remember having that exact conversation with Moz when he was coterie manager.

G-Mo77
03-10-2023, 08:13 PM
Ok, anyone in here want to be an assistant at the Western Bulldogs? I'm sure if you submitted your resumes to GVGJr he'd get them to the right people.

Bullies
03-10-2023, 08:13 PM
Jackson Kornberg is the mail that he will be one of the assistants. If so will be a good get. Highly regarded. Coached Suns to the VFL this year and has coached Sandy Dragons and Development.

jeemak
03-10-2023, 08:22 PM

So undesirable that a bunch of highly qualified sycophants coached under him for multiple years, and then those that left praised him vehemently?

Talk about Stockholm Syndrome gone wild!

We make an assumption that because we miss an assistant coach that we are looking for anyone with whatever attributes. It's silly, and employing people doesn't work that way.

There's myriad reasons why candidates don't align with positions, it's strange the prevailing thought is we're not as picky as a club as assistant coaches are when it comes down to selecting the right match for a role.

I won't ever know for sure, but I'd wager that we miss as many as who miss us just through a misalignment of attributes, cash, and specifics of the position in question. Just like in the non-AFL world.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 08:24 PM
So undesirable that a bunch of highly qualified sycophants coached under him for multiple years, and then those that left praised him vehemently?

Talk about Stockholm Syndrome gone wild!

Are you saying things stay the same forever?

I think we can draw a clear demarcation line.

BCM and ACM.

Before and after chopper mo.

angelopetraglia
03-10-2023, 09:01 PM

Better odds of a Premiership which appears to be important when considering senior coaching appointments. If I wanted to be a senior coach I would be choosing the best chance at team success.

Which is why I still can?t believe we botched post 2021 so badly when it came to assistant coaches.

azabob
03-10-2023, 09:11 PM
Better odds of a Premiership which appears to be important when considering senior coaching appointments. If I wanted to be a senior coach I would be choosing the best chance at team success.

Which is why I still can?t believe we botched post 2021 so badly when it came to assistant coaches.

I reckon 2021 was all poor timing. I think we were blindsided by losing both King and Hansen so late in the piece.

angelopetraglia
03-10-2023, 09:15 PM
I reckon 2021 was all poor timing. I think we were blindsided by losing both King and Hansen so late in the piece.

Being blindsided by losing two key senior assistants is poor people management at a minimum. They basically stole Hansen from us late, why didn’t we steal someone of high calibre back?

There was an opportunity for a ambitious 2IC to get the senior gig with a coach who was regarded incredibly highly and with a team that had made the GF.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Ok, anyone in here want to be an assistant at the Western Bulldogs? I'm sure if you submitted your resumes to GVGJr he'd get them to the right people.

Well, here we are now, half serious.

AFEL/AAP reporting McQualter expected to be announced as joining Melbourne FC.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 09:45 PM
Too late to tell Bubba we were only joking about sacking him?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2023, 09:46 PM
God, our club leaders aren’t looking like either having a plan or executing a plan. I’m sure they survived the review into themselves.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Too late to tell Bubba we were only joking about sacking him?

Ahhh ha.

April fools. Get back here ya big idiot.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Well, here we are now, half serious.

AFEL/AAP reporting McQualter expected to be announced as joining Melbourne FC.

Thought it was already announced as done.

You'd over to know what's actually going on down at the club. Someone check if the lights are still on.

MrMahatma
03-10-2023, 11:42 PM
Jed Adcock has told the Lions he’s taking up a coaching role at another club next season.

Grantysghost
03-10-2023, 11:45 PM
Jed Adcock has told the Lions he’s taking up a coaching role at another club next season.

Interesting. He played under Bevo for a couple of years.
Had the pleasure of spending some time with Jed one night at a function....he's a serious but lovely guy.
I remember talking to him and my wife came over and I introduced him and she said oh what do you do?
I said... Um he was the captain of the Brisbane Lions ha.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 12:03 AM
Interesting. He played under Bevo for a couple of years.
Had the pleasure of spending some time with Jed one night at a function....he's a serious but lovely guy.
I remember talking to him and my wife came over and I introduced him and she said oh what do you do?
I said... Um he was the captain of the Brisbane Lions ha.

As a kid I went up to Danny Southern for an autograph. He obliged and asked if I wanted “Shane’s too” (sitting next to him). A guy in a bulldogs polo like his. I said “who’s Shane?”. Danny started laughing, and said “Shane Ellen, he plays for the doggies too”. I said “ok” still having no idea. His got the last laugh kicking 5 in a premiership. Still have it somewhere.

MrMahatma
04-10-2023, 12:09 AM
Jed Adcock has told the Lions he?s taking up a coaching role at another club next season.

He?s off to North

bornadog
04-10-2023, 12:11 AM
He?s off to North

Yes he is

GVGjr
04-10-2023, 12:28 AM

He's off to North.

FrediKanoute
04-10-2023, 01:19 AM
If so? what has happened to Bevo? I was thinking, watching Craig Macrae, how much he reminded me of Bevo?s first few years and the inclusive, empathy focused approach. I know he has become paranoid re media, but has his working style changed so much?

Its funny, when you are fresh in a job and there are no expectations (or expectations are low), its easy to be bright eyed bullish and ready to take on the world.

Its only years later after you fail that you understand the consequences of risk and the amount that you don't actually control. Its funny I watched Macrae and thought wow, that was Bevo in 2016, confident, boyant, positive etc. My next thought is what will Macrae look like in 12 months time when the Magpie army's expectation of success goes into overdrive.

Success breeds success, but it also breeds expectation and unfulfilled expectation leads to disappointment and eventually discontent.

bornadog
05-10-2023, 04:15 PM
Gold Coast has signed Nick Malceski as a development coach. The former Swans and Suns defender will replace Jackson Kornberg. Spent the past three seasons coaching in the QAFL. - Josh Gabelich

Danny Delre
05-10-2023, 07:03 PM
Wow wee, i'm starting to become a tad concerned.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 07:05 PM

You and me both. Welcome Danny.

Grantysghost
05-10-2023, 07:09 PM

Hey Danny - good to hear from you mate welcome :) Don't by shy contribute away!

Are you concerned re no coach signings so far? Hmm yeah there is a bit of nothingness coming out, but maybe like the Naughton surprise we are just good at keeping our cards close now that Hunter is gone ;)

kruder
05-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Gold Coast has signed Nick Malceski as a development coach. The former Swans and Suns defender will replace Jackson Kornberg. Spent the past three seasons coaching in the QAFL. - Josh Gabelich

Always liked him as a player.

azabob
05-10-2023, 09:05 PM
Any mention at the Best and Fariest when we are likely to make announcements?

Did Bevo hint in his speech that Edge could be an option as an afl assistant and also we are looking internally to replace Matt Innes?

Bevo seemed to confirm Martin is leaving and we want him to stay.

hujsh
05-10-2023, 09:08 PM

Did Bevo hint in his speech that Edge could be an option and also we are looking internally to replace Matt Innes?

No mention, wants to convince Martin to stay and supported someone under Innes for the role. Wouldn't take that as being what Grant/Baines want though since he obviously wanted Smith to stay

Doc26
05-10-2023, 09:39 PM

Did Bevo hint in his speech that Edge could be an option as an afl assistant and also we are looking internally to replace Matt Innes?

Very little mention of the coaching position at the BnF other than Bevo?s reference to Stef Martin leaving, and some reference by Bevo that he (as in Bevo) isn?t finished yet. Not sure what he meant by that. But Bevo would try to retain Stef.

Only unconfirmed word I?ve heard is that Kornberg to become our VFL coach and Edge to be elevated, but please take this with a grain of salt at this time.

On a separate matter, what Bevo didn?t say was probably as telling as what he did say. He thanked the Board and Kylie, and gave a special thanks to “Lukey Darcy”. Bevo then went on to thank all those around or below him for their support / work with extra thanks for Rohan. Neither Chris Grant nor Bains made it to Bevo?s list. I hope this means nothing but really hope that Bevo, Grant and Bains can sort out whatever sh1t that might be going down as it has the risk of railroading our 2024 campaign. That Bevo is singing out the praise of Darcy, whilst ignoring / bypassing Grant and Bains is downright messy for the Club.

azabob
05-10-2023, 09:44 PM
Thanks Doc26. Interesting what you subtly picked up. Bevo is a political animal and highly likely knew exactly what he was, or was not saying.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 09:49 PM
Thanks Doc26. Interesting what you subtly picked up. Bevo is a political animal and highly likely knew exactly what he was, or was not saying.

How do the powers that be handle it?

whythelongface
05-10-2023, 09:50 PM
Bevo also hoped that Des O?Sullivan (strength and conditioning coach) would put his hand up for the vacancy left by Innes.

azabob
05-10-2023, 09:52 PM
How do the powers that be handle it?

Three enter and one leaves…

kruder
05-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Three enter and one leaves…

Amazing that one hasn't left already.

I must say Bevo looks like a person that has lost their spark, I hope he can turn it around let's have some fun again Bevo! Start by moving the bloody ball forward again, the players will relish the change in the restrictive game plan.

lemmon
05-10-2023, 10:00 PM
Bevo also hoped that Des O?Sullivan (strength and conditioning coach) would put his hand up for the vacancy left by Innes.

I haven't heard Bevo's speech, but I find it odd and potentially a bit antagonistic that he's publicly putting people forward for roles when all the chat has been that we want Grant and Bains to take the lead and remove some of the responsibility from Bev.

azabob
05-10-2023, 10:01 PM
I haven't heard Bevo's speech, but I find it odd and potentially a bit antagonistic that he's publicly putting people forward for roles when all the chat has been that we want Grant and Bains to take the lead and remove some of the responsibility from Bev.

They were ad lib one liners but definitely were there.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 10:13 PM
They were ad lib one liners but definitely were there.

If I stood up and undermined my bosses in front of 1,000 influential supporters I’d be worried for my job, or not giving a **** about the consequences of doing it.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-10-2023, 10:18 PM

Yeah jobs for mates it seems for Bevo. He's loyal to a fault. Might not be the best coach or player for a position but he'll back them if he likes them. That just doesn't fly in this league.

whythelongface
05-10-2023, 10:37 PM
Yeah jobs for mates it seems for Bevo. He's loyal to a fault. Might not be the best coach or player for a position but he'll back them if he likes them. That just doesn't fly in this league.

Yeah probably not a good look. On the flip side he wasn’t saying that he had it but that he hoped he would apply for the job. If he is not on the selection panel then probably a non-issue but see your point.

hujsh
05-10-2023, 10:40 PM
Very little mention of the coaching position at the BnF other than Bevo?s reference to Stef Martin leaving, and some reference by Bevo that he (as in Bevo) isn?t finished yet. Not sure what he meant by that. But Bevo would try to retain Stef.

Only unconfirmed word I?ve heard is that Kornberg to become our VFL coach and Edge to be elevated, but please take this with a grain of salt at this time.

On a separate matter, what Bevo didn?t say was probably as telling as what he did say. He thanked the Board and Kylie, and gave a special thanks to “Lukey Darcy”. Bevo then went on to thank all those around or below him for their support / work with extra thanks for Rohan. Neither Chris Grant nor Bains made it to Bevo?s list. I hope this means nothing but really hope that Bevo, Grant and Bains can sort out whatever sh1t that might be going down as it has the risk of railroading our 2024 campaign. That Bevo is singing out the praise of Darcy, whilst ignoring / bypassing Grant and Bains is downright messy for the Club.

haha so it wasn't just me who noticed that at the time. I was wondering if Baines counted as 'the board' but he wouldn't

Scorlibo
05-10-2023, 10:42 PM

Agreed, that was odd, especially in the context of a football program wanting to embrace change. Hope that we bring in some fresh eyes for this role.

MrMahatma
05-10-2023, 10:48 PM
Yeah probably not a good look. On the flip side he wasn’t saying that he had it but that he hoped he would apply for the job. If he is not on the selection panel then probably a non-issue but see your point.

Just weird to do it in a speech and not in private. Embarrassing for the people he was talking about also.

meenies
05-10-2023, 11:05 PM
I thought he looked a bit dishevelled up on stage for such a formal event. Agree with all the other comments as well. I was also hoping we would of announced an assistant coach yesterday but nothing on that front. Interesting days ahead.

Rocket Science
05-10-2023, 11:36 PM
If there's anything to these barbed inferences and the ensuing subtext jeez we're travelling beautifully aren't we?

Bit hard to shrug the sense something's on the nose if the coach is subtly backhanding colleagues publicly.

And hardly the machinations of a "serious" club, let alone a focused one.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 11:38 PM
Is he doing a George Constanza and trying to get fired?

What’s next? Turning up the list management meetings on Monday wearing EJ’s premiership jumper and spilling tomato sauce all over it?

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2023, 12:02 AM

What’s next? Turning up the list management meetings on Monday wearing EJ’s premiership jumper and spilling tomato sauce all over it?

Driving around the whitten oval parking lot, dragging the 54 premiership cup.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2023, 12:07 AM

Actually is he doing a George Costanza and pretending to look stressed to make it look like he's working real hard and knows what he's doing? That would be worse.

josie
06-10-2023, 12:16 AM
I thought he looked a bit dishevelled up on stage for such a formal event. Agree with all the other comments as well. I was also hoping we would of announced an assistant coach yesterday but nothing on that front. Interesting days ahead.

He almost looked like he was sheepish, was he possibly concerned about a luke (no pun intended) warm response? Little to no energy or passion evident. Hope he is ok both for his sake, his families sake and of course for our club.

jeemak
06-10-2023, 12:35 AM

On a separate matter, what Bevo didn?t say was probably as telling as what he did say. He thanked the Board and Kylie, and gave a special thanks to ?Lukey Darcy?. Bevo then went on to thank all those around or below him for their support / work with extra thanks for Rohan. Neither Chris Grant nor Bains made it to Bevo?s list. I hope this means nothing but really hope that Bevo, Grant and Bains can sort out whatever sh1t that might be going down as it has the risk of railroading our 2024 campaign. That Bevo is singing out the praise of Darcy, whilst ignoring / bypassing Grant and Bains is downright messy for the Club.

Good to see a post from you legend. :)

jeemak
06-10-2023, 12:49 AM
Just weird to do it in a speech and not in private. Embarrassing for the people he was talking about also.

What if you feel like you're not being listened to in private/ between the four walls?

After the Smith change, where the playing group clearly reacted negatively, it could just be that management are taking a carte blanche approach to structural changes and have deployed a blunt instrument to making those changes.

Organisational culture is a delicate thing, and what concerns me most about the reviews this year and last, though particularly this year, is no affirmation that the coach is being worked with and empowered to help steer the changes in conjunction with Grant and Baines. All we've heard of is a major shift in power via the media, and that's troubling because major shifts in power usually end with organisations taking a long time to improve because they're non-collaborative and in fight mode - well after the target has been dismissed. Anyone else coming in if Bevo is forced out, will just have to fight to get Baines and Grant out, or whoever else out as well, before the ship is steadied.

Whilst prone to the occasional big-impact outburst, Bevo is actually a very calculated and intelligent operator - and one who seems to value integrity in process (which aligns with his previous job) as highly as anything else. If he's lashing out this way then the crazy Bevo moniker that's unfairly apportioned to him should be put to one side and he should be taken notice of.

If I had a three person line up, or four including our president between Grant, Bevo, Baines and Watson-Wheeler to rationally and competently work through a crisis situation I'm taking Bevo every day of the week.

Danny Delre
06-10-2023, 12:43 PM
Concerned that i keep hearing we are after certain assistants and then they sign with other clubs.

Curly5
06-10-2023, 02:36 PM
Any hope for Jackson Kornberg?

hujsh
06-10-2023, 02:41 PM

Unless someone else announces signing him yeah there's hope. Maybe David Hale too. Not that I have any inside knowledge

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 02:44 PM
To here's a decent chance. We might have had him in for a chat.

Topdog
06-10-2023, 02:50 PM
Geez Curly5, feel like i haven't seen that name forever.

mjp
06-10-2023, 03:01 PM
I haven't seen it but I have zero issue in him doing things like supporting the existing fitness staff in their hopes to progress to a more senior role within the club...isn't that what leaders are supposed to do? Mentor and encourage people to develop/challenge themselves...

It might be political in a different way - showing support to 'junior' staff, showing you believe in them - might help keep them engaged if they are eventually over-looked.

jeemak
06-10-2023, 09:55 PM
I haven't seen it but I have zero issue in him doing things like supporting the existing fitness staff in their hopes to progress to a more senior role within the club...isn't that what leaders are supposed to do? Mentor and encourage people to develop/challenge themselves...

It might be political in a different way - showing support to 'junior' staff, showing you believe in them - might help keep them engaged if they are eventually over-looked.

It would have been weirder if he didn't give Innes a good acknowledgement on his way out, but he did, and then said he wants the junior to step up so he can still keep looking after the boys how they need to be looked after.

MrMahatma
07-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Both Stevo and Morris are saying we’re into Leppitsch for a Director of Coaching or similar role. Not an assistant I guess?

Would be an awesome get I reckon!

hujsh
07-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Both Stevo and Morris are saying we?re into Leppitsch for a Director of Coaching or similar role. Not an assistant I guess?

Oh I'd saw rumours but nice to see Stevo running with it! And hasn't seen the kind of role either so that makes more sense given I think he's director of strategy or something at Collingwood.

Him, the GC guy I won't attempt to spell and Hale would be a decent set of pickups

GVGjr
07-10-2023, 10:35 AM
Both Stevo and Morris are saying we’re into Leppitsch for a Director of Coaching or similar role. Not an assistant I guess?

Leppitsch would be a terrific get in that role and to be honest it should attract a lot of interest. I thought it might also interest Dew or Cameron.

Grantysghost
07-10-2023, 10:42 AM
Leppitsch would be a terrific get in that role and to be honest it should attract a lot of interest. I thought it might also interest Dew or Cameron.

Leppitsch v Bevo, man we should commission another year of the dog.

kruder
07-10-2023, 10:45 AM
Just be surprised that Leppitsch would want to leave the pies, would be an unbelievable get.

jazzadogs
07-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Wow. Would be stoked to have Leppitsch involved. His role at the Pies was 'Head of Strategy' and their strategy has been spot on for the past two years.

jazzadogs
07-10-2023, 10:47 AM
Just be surprised that Leppitsch would want to leave the pies, would be an unbelievable get.

Brendan Bolton is currently the Director of Coaching at Pies. If that's the role we have offered, then it is a promotion - so can see why it would be enticing.

Grantysghost
07-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Brendan Bolton is currently the Director of Coaching at Pies. If that's the role we have offered, then it is a promotion - so can see why it would be enticing.

How do we not have a similar structure in place? Not replacing Maple was nuts.

I mean look at the quality team announcements he brings.

https://youtu.be/Cg7SZXJs7So?si=OTEytb3RTP9C6MoA

lemmon
07-10-2023, 10:55 AM

Might be a bit of a pay rise too considering the Pies are also squeezing Brendan Bolton in under the soft cap along with Leppa.

bornadog
07-10-2023, 12:02 PM

Stevo:

Hearing Dogs well progressed on Leppitsch. Been talks. Would be director of coaching type role.

It would be a promotion for him

G-Mo77
07-10-2023, 12:02 PM
That would be a huge get for us if we got Leppa over the line.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2023, 12:11 PM
The introductions if Leppa is hired:

Luke: My name is Luke, I’m head coach, I like surfing and throttling Damian Barrett at the 2015 Brownlow.

Justin: My name is Justin, I’m the director of coaching. I like to keep fit and being restrained by former teammates from throttling Damian Barrett at 2016 Grand Final drinks.

Luke: I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Grantysghost
07-10-2023, 12:17 PM

Luke: My name is Luke, I’m head coach, I like surfing and throttling Damian Barrett at the 2015 Brownlow.

Justin: My name is Justin, I’m the director of coaching. I like to keep fit and being restrained by former teammates from throttling Damian Barrett at 2016 Grand Final drinks.

You can leave on that high note BT! Gold.

The Adelaide Connection
07-10-2023, 12:17 PM
With Leppitsch I am excited that he would bring us invaluable intel from one of the best teams in 2023. This would be immense on a strategy front (which was obviously his specialty), but also from a general cultural point of view.

Dunkley was berated for saying Brisbane work harder than us on the training track, suppose it’s true? We need someone from outside with runs on the board at the best team in the land keeping us accountable.

azabob
07-10-2023, 12:27 PM

Leppitsch is savvy. He left Richmond after 2021. Wasn’t quite at the top of the peak but always best to leave an organisation at the top rather than on the way down.

hujsh
07-10-2023, 01:09 PM
TBH I'll be more happy if we get Lippitsch than if we had got Dew. The added bonus of being involved in successful systems is more appealing to me than being the head coach recently at a club that can't make finals. We already know how to not make finals.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2023, 01:35 PM
This would be an incredible get if true / eventuates.

The type of announcement that makes a material difference in our hearts and minds, as well as being (based on the resume and recency) a brilliant move for our on-field progression.

bornadog
07-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Leppitsch Resume

Player - 3 x Premierships

Coach
*Assistant at Lions
* Assistant at Richmond

Then

*Lions Senior Coach 3 years
*Assistant in 3 x Richmond premierships
*Assistant in Collingwood Premiership

Agree, way better resume than Dew. Get it done NOW

kruder
07-10-2023, 03:39 PM
This would be an incredible get if true / eventuates.

The type of announcement that makes a material difference in our hearts and minds, as well as being (based on the resume and recency) a brilliant move for our on-field progression.

Agree.

This club needs a name but when I say that a person that will have an impact. We have shopping at Franklins too long now, the momentum it would bring the playing group along with the new facilities would be like a breath of fresh air. I then really like the idea of getting a young talented coach in(I don't care less where they are from) that Bevo/Leppa can help develop.

Fingers crossed, I'd love Bevo and Bont to lift a cup together a person like Leppa can help make that happen.

mjp
07-10-2023, 03:45 PM
How do we not have a similar structure in place? Not replacing Maple was nuts.

I mean look at the quality team announcements he brings.

https://youtu.be/Cg7SZXJs7So?si=OTEytb3RTP9C6MoA

That was so GOOD.

I would have truly enjoyed watching Bevo do a 'Bailey Williams out, Robbie McComb in' version of the 'Howard out, Gryphen in' scenario and just sat back and watched the YouTube comments to follow...

Can we at least make THAT happen??

Grantysghost
07-10-2023, 05:33 PM
That was so GOOD.

I would have truly enjoyed watching Bevo do a 'Bailey Williams out, Robbie McComb in' version of the 'Howard out, Gryphen in' scenario and just sat back and watched the YouTube comments to follow...

Can we at least make THAT happen??

Some idea why we are making are making changes would be decent content for sure. Bevo's brief just makes me sad these days.

chef
07-10-2023, 07:59 PM
What does the director of coaching do?

Twodogs
07-10-2023, 08:00 PM

Luke: My name is Luke, I?m head coach, I like surfing and throttling Damian Barrett at the 2015 Brownlow.

Justin: My name is Justin, I?m the director of coaching. I like to keep fit and being restrained by former teammates from throttling Damian Barrett at 2016 Grand Final drinks.

"Damien Barrett has been punched in the dunnies...

Round up the usual suspects."

https://youtu.be/5kiNJcDG4E0?si=n69aJo1nGQLUCqNU

jazzadogs
07-10-2023, 10:12 PM
What does the director of coaching do?

Calls out "ACTION".

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2023, 10:32 PM
Leppitsch Resume

Player - 3 x Premierships

Coach
*Assistant at Lions
* Assistant at Richmond

Then

*Lions Senior Coach 3 years
*Assistant in 3 x Richmond premierships
*Assistant in Collingwood Premiership

Agree, way better resume than Dew. Get it done NOW

Impressive CV.

Let's hope we can get it done.

azabob
08-10-2023, 01:39 AM
Gut feel we are 60/40 to land Leppitsch. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn the club approached him during the pre finals bye to gauge his interest. I’m also clinging to the hope landed Leppitsch is priority and that is why we haven’t hired anyone yet.

ledge
08-10-2023, 12:11 PM
Maybe Leppitsch will bring the others and that’s why we have only chased him .

hujsh
08-10-2023, 01:58 PM
Maybe Leppitsch will bring the others and that’s why we have only chased him .

I think it's clear we have chased others. Not all signed/announced and lost some (McQualter sounds like it was close, maybe we tried for Barlow, Dew sounds like we thought we were close etc)

bornadog
08-10-2023, 03:16 PM
I think it's clear we have chased others. Not all signed/announced and lost some (McQualter sounds like it was close, maybe we tried for Barlow, Dew sounds like we thought we were close etc)

I heard Barlow interviewed the other day and he said that Clarko talked to him mid year about a role, so I doubt he spoke to us. Maybe we asked and he said he had a job.

Uninformed
08-10-2023, 07:51 PM
Any newly retired prospects who would make good coaches?

I wonder about Cotchin.

GVGjr
08-10-2023, 07:54 PM

I wonder about Cotchin.

Hard to say, perhaps some could move into development coach type roles. Not sure about Cotchin though.

azabob
08-10-2023, 08:30 PM

I wonder about Cotchin.

I like Phil Davis as an option. Well spoken, understands the modern game, experienced ups and downs of footy success wise. Would be a great resource for our young backs and forwards.

hujsh
08-10-2023, 09:22 PM
I like Phil Davis as an option. Well spoken, understands the modern game, experienced ups and downs of footy success wise. Would be a great resource for our young backs and forwards.

Can see him being a good development coach but not sure he'd come to us necessarily.

jazzadogs
08-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Can see him being a good development coach but not sure he'd come to us necessarily.

I think he'll prioritise media over coaching. He's on trade radio.

JanLorMill
08-10-2023, 10:12 PM
Phil Davis priorities himself over anything. A grade wanker

bornadog
08-10-2023, 11:06 PM
I think he'll prioritise media over coaching. He's on trade radio.
and i don't like some of the stuff he says on TR

ledge
08-10-2023, 11:45 PM
Just looking at retired players who would make good assistants .. Cunnington , Hurn and Shuey? They were all pretty hard players if we want to toughen the team up, bring in Clay Smith with Cunnington and that’s some serious madness.

jazzadogs
09-10-2023, 01:01 AM
Just looking at retired players who would make good assistants .. Cunnington , Hurn and Shuey? They were all pretty hard players if we want to toughen the team up, bring in Clay Smith with Cunnington and that’s some serious madness.

I think Cunnington will go the way of Ryan Griffen and have absolutely nothing to do with football now. Might be wrong.

Would Hurn or Shuey want to leave WA?

if we get Leppitsch and Kornberg, that seems like a good haul. Ex players come in and start as development coaches like Varcoe and SSSM.

azabob
09-10-2023, 08:52 AM
and i don't like some of the stuff he says on TR

BAD, why are you listening to trade radio? I can only imagine it would make you angry!

GVGjr
09-10-2023, 10:08 AM
From SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/08/bulldogs-chasing-collingwood-assistant-for-revamped-footy-department-role/)

The Western Bulldogs are chasing Justin Leppitsch for an expanded role at Whitten Oval under Luke Beveridge, SEN's Tom Morris reports.

Leppitsch, one of the key figures in Collingwood’s premiership and a much-loved person at the AIA Centre, is yet to confirm a decision.

But the Bulldogs have three vacancies under Beveridge with former assistants Rohan Smith, Marc Webb and Travis Varcoe all departing the club in recent weeks.

In backing Beveridge to lead the club back to the competition’s pinnacle, the Dogs are looking to get some fresh faces around the 2016 premiership coach.

Leppitsch fits the bill having won premierships at the Magpies and Richmond as an assistant, while he also coached Brisbane for three seasons from 2014.

Morris told SEN Breakfast that Leppitsch had been offered a senior role under Beveridge.

"Justin Leppitsch, the Bulldogs are chasing him as more than an assistant coach, a senior football department staffer sitting below Luke Beveridge," he began.

"He’s been at the Pies for two years, it’d be a big decision for him to make to leave a premiership team alongside his premiership teammate Craig McRae from the Lions."

Leppitsch – alongside Brendon Bolton – joined Collingwood shortly after Craig McRae, with the trio credited with rebuilding the Magpies into the force they now are.

Breakfast co-host and five-time premiership player Dermott Brereton also weighed in on Leppitsch.

"When you supply something to a team and you do incredibly well and you are part of the reason why that team succeeded, your stocks rise," he said.

"I think he’s perfectly suited to the 2IC, a really high 2IC job, he has that history of success."

Leppitsch is Collingwood’s head of strategy. Earlier this year he considered joining the Richmond coaching race before ruling himself out, while Kane Cornes in April described the 48-year-old as “miles ahead of the next best” assistant coach.

The football department soft cap will increase by an aditional $250,000 in 2024 after a $500,000 rise this year, giving clubs more flexibility with their staff.

bornadog
09-10-2023, 10:24 AM
BAD, why are you listening to trade radio? I can only imagine it would make you angry!

Haha, you know me well :D

MrMahatma
09-10-2023, 11:51 AM
From SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/08/bulldogs-chasing-collingwood-assistant-for-revamped-footy-department-role/)

The Western Bulldogs are chasing Justin Leppitsch for an expanded role at Whitten Oval under Luke Beveridge, SEN's Tom Morris reports.

Leppitsch, one of the key figures in Collingwood’s premiership and a much-loved person at the AIA Centre, is yet to confirm a decision.

But the Bulldogs have three vacancies under Beveridge with former assistants Rohan Smith, Marc Webb and Travis Varcoe all departing the club in recent weeks.

In backing Beveridge to lead the club back to the competition’s pinnacle, the Dogs are looking to get some fresh faces around the 2016 premiership coach.

Leppitsch fits the bill having won premierships at the Magpies and Richmond as an assistant, while he also coached Brisbane for three seasons from 2014.

Morris told SEN Breakfast that Leppitsch had been offered a senior role under Beveridge.

"Justin Leppitsch, the Bulldogs are chasing him as more than an assistant coach, a senior football department staffer sitting below Luke Beveridge," he began.

"He’s been at the Pies for two years, it’d be a big decision for him to make to leave a premiership team alongside his premiership teammate Craig McRae from the Lions."

Leppitsch – alongside Brendon Bolton – joined Collingwood shortly after Craig McRae, with the trio credited with rebuilding the Magpies into the force they now are.

Breakfast co-host and five-time premiership player Dermott Brereton also weighed in on Leppitsch.

"When you supply something to a team and you do incredibly well and you are part of the reason why that team succeeded, your stocks rise," he said.

"I think he’s perfectly suited to the 2IC, a really high 2IC job, he has that history of success."

Leppitsch is Collingwood’s head of strategy. Earlier this year he considered joining the Richmond coaching race before ruling himself out, while Kane Cornes in April described the 48-year-old as “miles ahead of the next best” assistant coach.

The football department soft cap will increase by an aditional $250,000 in 2024 after a $500,000 rise this year, giving clubs more flexibility with their staff.

I just feel a release from the Pies is gonna drop any minute saying "Leppa is going nowhere".

But I felt a bit that way when we were going to get Treloar and that eventuated. Feels like getting Leppa or at least some similar calibre support, is more important than what we do in trade week.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-10-2023, 11:54 AM
I just feel a release from the Pies is gonna drop any minute saying "Leppa is going nowhere".

But I felt a bit that way when we were going to get Treloar and that eventuated. Feels like getting Leppa or at least some similar calibre support, is more important than what we do in trade week.

Agreed. Leppa is traget no 1.

Itd be a huge win to get him signed.

bornadog
09-10-2023, 02:17 PM
Graham Wright says they are working with contractual obligations for Leppa, but is keen to keep him

Critter
09-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Graham Wright says they are working with contractual obligations for Leppa

"...working with contractual obligations... ".
Wonder what that means? Is it, this is why we can't/won't let you go. Or is it, these are the details of your new contract with Collingwood? Or maybe it's, this is what you need to do before we let you go to the Dogs?

bornadog
09-10-2023, 02:36 PM
Wonder what that means? Is it, this is why we can't/won't let you go. Or is it, these are the details of your new contract with Collingwood? Or maybe it's, this is what you need to do before we let you go to the Dogs?

Wright is keen to keep him

MrMahatma
09-10-2023, 02:36 PM

I felt more confident after hearing that interview!

Hotdog60
09-10-2023, 02:37 PM
It might be he has to sign something to say he won't tell any secrets.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-10-2023, 02:38 PM

He can just put a winking emotion in his signature. That holds up in court.

Axe Man
09-10-2023, 03:52 PM

Leppa's exit interview at the Pies:
https://i.postimg.cc/6qmy7X2D/MIBmemoryeraser.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Seriously though we let Hansen leave just after we promoted him, clubs don't tend to stand in the way of assistants moving do they, especially for a greater role?

The Underdog
09-10-2023, 04:08 PM
Leppa's exit interview at the Pies:
https://i.postimg.cc/6qmy7X2D/MIBmemoryeraser.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Seriously though we let Hansen leave just after we promoted him, clubs don't tend to stand in the way of assistants moving do they, especially for a greater role?

I imagine, given he's contracted that they're probably working through that and possibly trying to pitch him on staying. But yeah, usually if it's a promotion they let me players ago.

kruder
09-10-2023, 05:39 PM
Come on Leppa

Throughandthrough
09-10-2023, 08:44 PM
Mark Stone has just left Brisbane.....

hujsh
09-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Mark Stone has just left Brisbane.....

Suggesting a possible head of strategy perhaps looking at his LinkedIn?

Throughandthrough
09-10-2023, 08:59 PM
He is amazing tactically, just not the greatest people person. People either love him or dont see eye to eye (and vice versa)

GVGjr
09-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Suggesting a possible head of strategy perhaps looking at his LinkedIn?

Heading back to WA.

Happy Days
10-10-2023, 11:41 AM
Leppitsch set the blueprint that all sacked coaches should follow - a considered psy ops campaign as a media member talking in coaching jargon to make everyone forget just how bad you flamed out when you had a top job.

What do we actually have that evidences he’s any good at anything?

hujsh
10-10-2023, 12:00 PM
sigh

https://twitter.com/JoshGabelich/status/1711530634798379421?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1711530634798379421%7Ctwgr%5E7139c921958635eb34 1f78d309be0e6079886b55%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.afl.com.au%2Fnews%2F1051666%2Ftrad e-talk-live-all-the-latest-news-as-the-afl-trade-period-heats-up

jazzadogs
10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
sigh

https://twitter.com/JoshGabelich/status/1711530634798379421?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1711530634798379421%7Ctwgr%5E7139c921958635eb34 1f78d309be0e6079886b55%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.afl.com.au%2Fnews%2F1051666%2Ftrad e-talk-live-all-the-latest-news-as-the-afl-trade-period-heats-up

Well shit.

That's a real knock to the club. Not necessarily a criticism, they might have made a really good offer that Collingwood bettered...but geez, where do we go from here? Who's left?

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 12:05 PM
sigh

Oh that is so disappointing. :(

anfo27
10-10-2023, 12:05 PM
sigh

Thats crushing news. Would have been very happy to get him.

azabob
10-10-2023, 12:07 PM
So wonder what plan D is?

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 12:08 PM

Interval review.

Merge coach with director of coaching role.

The Doctor
10-10-2023, 12:10 PM
Think the spotlight needs to shift from Bevo to Grant and Bains. They don't seem to be able to get deals done and have fluffed their lines regarding assistant coach appointments since 2021.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 12:11 PM
Think the spotlight needs to shift from Bevo to Grant and Bains. They don't seem to be able to get deals done and have fluffed their lines regarding assistant coach appointments since 2021.

This. Looking pretty bleak even with a holistic approach that goes back to 2017. Darcy is Director of Football isn't he? Add him in as well.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 12:13 PM
Wow this is looking bad.

Shambles.

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 12:13 PM

It's worrying now. We've obviously had targets and missed on every single one of them. You have to ask why it's such an unattractive proposal? Who's left?

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 12:14 PM
Leppitsch looked at that pick 4 deal and went..

I outta here.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 12:22 PM
So the club thinks it’s a top 4 list next year. All the assistants we’ve chased do not want to come to a top 4 side next year? There’s a disconnect here somewhere.

Out: Maple, Smith, Webb, Varcoe, likely Martin & Innes

In: No one

azabob
10-10-2023, 12:23 PM
Josh Gabelich reporting we are talking to Matthew Egan who is currently head of development at Geelong.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Josh Gabelich reporting we are talking to Matthew Egan who is currently head of development at Geelong.

Chris Grant reported as walking around Marvel Stadium asking anyone if they’d like to be an assistant coach next year for us.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-10-2023, 12:25 PM
So the club thinks it’s a top 4 list next year. All the assistants we’ve chased do not want to come to a top 4 side next year? There’s a disconnect here somewhere.

Out: Maple, Smith, Webb, Varcoe, likely Martin & Innes

In: No one

Starting to sound like Kim Jong Un saying north Korea is the best country to live. What's the actual reality here?

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Chris Grant reported as walking around Marvel Stadium asking anyone if they’d like to be an assistant coach next year for us.

Blindfolded with a dart.

What's Rohan Smith doing?

The Doctor
10-10-2023, 12:26 PM

Ive just received a missed call from a Chris Grant.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 12:26 PM
Starting to sound like Kim Jong Un saying north Korea is the best country to live. What's the actual reality here?

Chris Grant scored a hole in one 18 times in the same round.
He really is amazing!

G-Mo77
10-10-2023, 12:27 PM
Josh Gabelich
@JoshGabelich
Matthew Egan is on the @westernbulldogs radar to join the football department. Currently head of development at Geelong, previously coached at Melbourne & Essendon

Grantysghost
Ive just received a missed call from a Chris Grant.

I'd vote for you to get the gig Doc.

bulldogsthru&thru

I can picture him with his arm half around his face trying to mask himself as he mutters to passers-by "wannna be an assistant?". "What did you say?" "Do you wanna be an assistant at the dogs?"

DOG GOD
Not suprised by any of this. This club is on the way down, in a big way.
Getting harmes and picking Watson with pick 4 will just cap it off nicely (roll eyes emoji )

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 12:31 PM

We think we are a top four side. The pick trade confirms we think what we are giving up next year is a later teens pick. The club backed their own jobs too so they must think they’re just unlucky the last while.

If assistants believed the same then surely they’d be lining up and putting in their resume they joined us and helped take us from finals to top 4.

I wonder if the sales pitch is that we are a top 4 team and assistants think we are deluded and don’t want to be associated with it. It would explain why we’ve apparently spoken to so many and been rejected. Maybe Grant & Bains aren’t closing the deal, maybe what they’re selling no one is buying. I don’t think we are a top 4 side. I think we will be around the same mark next year assuming Bevo doesn’t get sacked and blow the season up from within it. Which could happen.

It’s pretty confusing to have every single target not want to come here. There must be a very good reason. We should do a secret review to not find out why this is.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 12:32 PM
Josh Gabelich
@JoshGabelich
Matthew Egan is on the @westernbulldogs radar to join the football department. Currently head of development at Geelong, previously coached at Melbourne & Essendon

Is he a local? They tend not to leave.

Was senior coach at Essendon for 5 games during the supplements ban for Hird/Thompson which I'd forgotten entirely

JanLorMill
10-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Getting beyond funny now

azabob
10-10-2023, 12:36 PM
It is being reported we offered Leppitsch more money and he still turned us down.... grim indeed.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 12:38 PM
Getting beyond funny now

The plan was to get Bevo the best assistants and back him in. Well, they’re not coming and the plan is shot to shit. So now what?

jeemak
10-10-2023, 12:41 PM
Pretty big ask to poach Leppitsch from the cashed up premiers....

azabob
10-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Pretty big ask to poach Leppitsch from the cashed up premiers....

It is being reported we offered more money.

SquirrelGrip
10-10-2023, 12:42 PM

It'll be just our luck he bumps into Dodoro. He's free next year...:confused:

hujsh
10-10-2023, 12:43 PM

And a promotion... only downside would be if he didn't want a promotion in the same way he supposedly doesn't want to be a head coach

jazzadogs
10-10-2023, 12:52 PM
By all reports Craig McRae is an incredible person to work with, so I can understand going for quality of life over cash/opportunity. And it's not like he has a bad role at the pies.

One of my mates has had a bit to do with McRae over the past few months, and said you just get sucked in to his "winning" aura. Super positive and engaging guy. Sounds like Bevo when he started with us.

1eyedog
10-10-2023, 12:52 PM
Are coaches cautious about working with Bevo?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 12:55 PM
Are coaches cautious about working with Bevo?

Cautious or don’t want to even if offered promotion and more money? It has to be an issue to some degree.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 12:56 PM

And a promotion. Not a big ask at all. Plus there's a soft cap.

chef
10-10-2023, 01:03 PM
This is fine gif.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 01:13 PM
Josh Gabelich
@JoshGabelich

That would be a decent addition for us.

It was always going to be a tough ask to get Leppa across from the reigning premiers.

I'm confident we will end up with an upgraded coaching team.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 01:17 PM

It was always going to be a tough ask to get Leppa across from the reigning premiers.

Once we sack Bevo and elevate Spanger to head coach I think we'll have our pick of league.

azabob
10-10-2023, 01:22 PM

Why are you confident?

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 01:35 PM
Why are you confident?

There are a lot of good coaches out there, it's about getting the balance right.
As much as I rated Smith for the way he worked with the players and the way Webb provided fact based analysis to support Bevo, we can find upgrades to them. The same applies with Varcoe and perhaps Martin. Innes might be harder to cover and if we get someone in to replace Maple from the previous year then that will help our footy department significantly.

I'm still confident we will come out of this with a strong team around Bevo.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2023, 01:38 PM
There are a lot of good coaches out there, it's about getting the balance right.
As much as I rated Smith for the way he worked with the players and the way Webb provided fact based analysis to support Bevo, we can find upgrades to them. The same applies with Varcoe and perhaps Martin. Innes might be harder to cover and if we get someone in to replace Maple from the previous year then that will help our footy department significantly.

I'm with you G besides no need to get our knickers in a knot it just makes it hard to walk.

Sedat
10-10-2023, 01:42 PM

Agree wholeheartedly, but the club needs to shut up instead of going to the media with every single targeted prospective assistant coach before they have committed. And if the leaks are coming from the managers, get them to sign NDA's prior to engaging with their clients - it's really not hard to keep things quiet.

Less talk more action.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 01:44 PM

It's a lot of spaces to fill G. I'm not as confident we get what we desire.
I'm feeling a settle for people approach.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 01:45 PM
Agree wholeheartedly, but the club needs to shut up instead of going to the media with every single targeted prospective assistant coach before they have committed. And if the leaks are coming from the managers, get them to sign NDA's prior to engaging with their clients - it's really not hard to keep things quiet.

Less talk more action.

Elvis said it best

A little less conversation, a little more action, please
All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark

bulldogtragic
10-10-2023, 01:48 PM
Elvis said it best

Then he died on the shitter. Like this season is. :)

hujsh
10-10-2023, 01:48 PM
At least he turned us down/leveraged us to get a promotion.

https://twitter.com/Sammy__Edmund/status/1711548077629464621?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1711548077629464621%7Ctwgr%5Ee87ee874cc23d67a7c c040f2b5c5983b55d6ea78%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.h tml1711548077629464621

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 01:50 PM

https://twitter.com/Sammy__Edmund/status/1711548077629464621?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1711548077629464621%7Ctwgr%5Ee87ee874cc23d67a7c c040f2b5c5983b55d6ea78%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.h tml1711548077629464621

How Josh Porter of him.

azabob
10-10-2023, 01:52 PM

Yep. Same. Club has known since mid year that Smith, Webb and Innes was on the move.

It certainly appears we have not been proactive in the slightest.

SquirrelGrip
10-10-2023, 01:55 PM
Elvis said it best

And ...

Wise men say
only fools rush in

GVGjr

Fair call but given there is a bit of activity at the moment lets see if some of the positions start to fill by the end of the week

bulldogtragic
Yep. Same. Club has known since mid year that Smith, Webb and Innes was on the move.

It certainly appears we have not been proactive in the slightest.

Or we have been, telling them with a straight face the team that list to Hawks & Eagles and choked a finals spot is actually a top 4 side next so just sign here and own the results next year.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 02:00 PM
And ...

Wise men say
only fools rush in

Well....

I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree right now woofers!

whythelongface
10-10-2023, 02:02 PM

100% and no doubt he leveraged our interest to gain a promotion at the Pies. It is difficult to leave a place of employment if you are happy, even if the alternative is better remuneration and position. It is great that we tried and of course disappointing we couldn’t poach him but it must have been seriously considered. Think we look into things too much and tend to make out things that aren’t there. If things were that bad why isn’t there a mass exodus of players.

I am confident we will land someone decent both as the Head/ Director of coaching and some assistants.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 02:02 PM

Oh we are those guys. I've done that to those guys, you never really want to go there; it's all part of the game.

Hotdog60
10-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Oh, I can hear strange voices echo (echo)
Laughing with mockery (mockery)
The borderline of doom I'm facing (I'm facing)
The edge of reality

Rocket Science
10-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Come back Smithy, all is forgiven ...

https://i.ibb.co/mFKv0D9/our-mastermind.png (https://ibb.co/TqGK1v4)

jazzadogs
10-10-2023, 02:09 PM

Never misses.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 02:09 PM

And a Dunkley banner in the corner there too for good measure

Rocket Science
10-10-2023, 02:19 PM
And a Dunkley banner in the corner there too for good measure

Oooff. Fixed.

https://i.ibb.co/FY5jypt/bugger-off.png (https://ibb.co/4S85Xkx)

jeemak
10-10-2023, 02:39 PM
So we offered him more money and a promotion and it's reported that he still turned us down........but he also gets a more senior directorial type role presumably on more money.

Not sure we can be too upset about that.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 02:40 PM
If Baz gets us the Kornhole bloke I refuse to trade him.

azabob
10-10-2023, 02:51 PM
If Baz gets us the Kornhole bloke I refuse to trade him.

Which Kornhole? I'd laugh if Kane Cornes came in as a coach.

angelopetraglia
10-10-2023, 02:52 PM
"Justin Leppitsch is poised for a role change at Collingwood after declining the Bulldogs' tempting approach. The Pies' head of strategy is set to take on a director of football performance-type position - a similar role to that presented by the Dogs, who now need to pivot." Sam Edmund

He was never coming, he just used us a leverage.

Sedat
10-10-2023, 02:52 PM
So we offered him more money and a promotion and it's reported that he still turned us down........but he also gets a more senior directorial type role presumably on more money.

Not sure we can be too upset about that.
Fair enough decision by Leppa. My concern is there has been more chatter about our assistant coaching discussions (and more names mooted) than Richmond had for their entire senior coach selection process. It is very unprofessional IMO and paints the club in an unflattering light.

The very first thing I would have done if I was Grant/Bains a couple of years ago was completely shut down the incessant leaking at the club. It has been festering ever since the "Freed From Desire" leak after our PF win in 2021. I hate it almost as much as Bevo clearly does.

Shit clubs leak.

Rocket Science
10-10-2023, 02:54 PM
What's Port Adelaide's mantra? 'We exist to win Premierships'?

Ours could be 'We exist so you can feign interest while helping your agent leverage an extension and/or promotion out of your current employer' ...

Satisfaction, guaranteed.

SquirrelGrip
10-10-2023, 02:56 PM
Fair enough decision by Leppa. My concern is there has been more chatter about our assistant coaching discussions (and more names mooted) than Richmond had for their entire senior coach selection process. It is very unprofessional IMO and paints the club in an unflattering light.

The very first thing I would have done if I was Grant/Bains a couple of years ago was completely shut down the incessant leaking at the club. It has been festering ever since the "Freed From Desire" leak after our PF win in 2021. I hate it almost as much as Bevo clearly does.

Shit clubs leak.

I agree. Lepptisch's name shouldn't have become public until he was signed, sealed and delivered.

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 02:56 PM
Leppa just Josh Porter'd our arse

hujsh
10-10-2023, 03:00 PM
Which Kornhole? I'd laugh if Kane Cornes came in as a coach.

The GC bloke I'll learn how to spell the name of if he actually comes. Was a coach of Bailey in his junior years and he credited him for helping a lot to develop his game.

Could be a win-win, we get a highly rated coach into our system and Bailey gets an anchor that maybe helps him settle a bit more at the club (cause it sounds like he's a bit of an outsider amoung the playing group)

Sedat
10-10-2023, 03:00 PM
I agree. Lepptisch's name shouldn't have become public until he was signed, sealed and delivered.
Yep - you could substitute Leppa's name for Cameron, Dew, McQualter, etc..

And they are still yapping to the media about Matthew Egan this time. Seriously, just shut up and get it done.

jeemak
10-10-2023, 03:02 PM

Shit clubs leak.

It was probably Lepitsch's management who leaked.

Sedat
10-10-2023, 03:06 PM
It was probably Lepitsch's management who leaked.
Even if so, get his management before-hand to sign a confidentiality agreement/NDA. Happens all the time in most industries and it's not that hard. Why would you even want the entire world to know your business behind the scenes anyway?

Did Cameron, Dew, McQualter, Egan, etc.. management do the leaking as well?

Very sloppy by us, and that's being kind. We have 2 years of form with regard to leaking - seriously just fix it.

Danjul
10-10-2023, 03:08 PM
Oooff. Fixed.

https://i.ibb.co/FY5jypt/bugger-off.png (https://ibb.co/4S85Xkx)
Don?t go upsetting Dunkley.

He Is the only one left that might come and help the club.

Critter
10-10-2023, 07:02 PM
I don’t think the club is in dire circumstances. I think that, quite simply, we are na?ve when it comes to negotiation and performance management. When we allowed it to become public knowledge that we were disenchanted with our on-field performance, and would conduct a “Review” (whatever that word might mean), we sent a signal to the AFL community that Luke Beveridge was under scrutiny. One slant, perhaps the official one, was that he needed better support to succeed. So, we sacked a number of incumbent support staff. Another, unintended slant was that, but for a two-year contract, Beveridge was dead man walking.

To any potential coaching aspirant, the inference was clear – Beveridge and his coaching panel are on shaky ground and, in all likelihood, he remains at the club because he has a two-year contract. Any assistants offered an appointment will understand quite clearly that it was management that has mandated that they be appointed, not the coach. The worrying question then for them is: where is the coach’s head?

Any chance of an assistant coach being successful will be dependent upon Beveridge’s willingness to embrace different voices and to take advice. And what is his demonstrated willingness to date to innovate and to take the advice of others? Sketchy, at best. No senior aspirant worth his salt would come to a club under these circumstances.

The better path would have been to have negotiated Beveridge’s departure immediately the season finished and to have appointed a new coach. Clear the decks, so to speak. Bit late now.

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 07:14 PM
I'm really happy with our Assistant Coach strategy.

We've been calling for change for a while, and now we are going for it which is great.
We've been ambitious with our targets so far, I'm sure we have some others in mind so I'm ok with this.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2023, 07:15 PM
I think it’s now the quantity of unknowns that is causing concern. We have no news from an assistant coaches perspective, with lots of alleged missed targets. No word on our fitness appointment. Realise this may take some time, but surely we had a few things in the works, maybe not.

The chips will fall at some point, however it would be good to commence November with these things locked down to give our playing list and coaching staff a bit of certainty, and maybe a holiday for Bevo and a few others too if they haven’t had a break yet.

It’s not panic stations yet, we need to get a wiggle on though.

hujsh
10-10-2023, 07:18 PM
Best case is we have most of the line coaches sorted and signed and just want the Director of Coaching role filled before announcing them all.

But I kinda doubt it.

Rocket Science
10-10-2023, 07:27 PM
It's okay everybody, we've got our best man on it.

https://i.ibb.co/vZtjTWp/honky.png (https://ibb.co/ChrHYyg)

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 07:44 PM
It's okay everybody, we've got our best man on it.

https://i.ibb.co/vZtjTWp/honky.png (https://ibb.co/ChrHYyg)

Hahaaaa

SquirrelGrip
10-10-2023, 07:54 PM
I think it’s now the quantity of unknowns that is causing concern.

Maybe Donald R is interviewing for our Director of Coaching role?

“There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.”

Grantysghost
10-10-2023, 08:28 PM
Maybe Donald R is interviewing for our Director of Coaching role?

“There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.”

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Topdog
10-10-2023, 08:31 PM
Rocket science on absolute fire today

GVGjr
10-10-2023, 11:46 PM
From AFL.com (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1051683/western-bulldogs-target-geelong-cats-mentor-after-missing-out-on-justin-leppitsch)

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/07/11/6f35e844-7446-48c3-8768-9cace54b56c9/397549.jpg?width=1064&height=600

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are interested in adding Matthew Egan to the football department at the Whitten Oval after missing out on securing the services of Justin Leppitsch.

Leppitsch informed the Bulldogs on Monday night that he will remain at the AIA Centre as Collingwood's head of strategy after being pursued to join Luke Beveridge's coaching team.

After losing the race to Melbourne to sign Andrew McQualter as an assistant coach after he missed out on securing the top job at Richmond, the Bulldogs had turned their attention to prying Leppitsch out of the reigning premier.
LIVE BLOG
Trade Talk RECAP: Freo's Schultz surprise, Dee traded, Cat returns

But after considering the opportunity to head to the kennel as the director of coaching, the 48-year-old has recommitted to help the Magpies try to go back-to-back in 2024.

Leppitsch won three premierships playing alongside Craig McRae at Brisbane, adding three as an assistant at Richmond before banking a seventh when Collingwood defeated Brisbane in last month's Grand Final.

All of Collingwood's assistant coaches are understood to have attracted varying degrees of interest from rivals.

Egan is currently Geelong's head of development after returning to Kardinia Park at the end of 2021 to join Chris Scott's football department.

The 40-year-old was forced to retire prematurely due to the serious foot injury he suffered on the eve of the 2007 finals series, which prevented him from playing again and forced him to retire in 2010 after 59 games.

Since then, the Victorian has built an impressive coaching resume as a development coach, starting at Essendon where he stepped up to coach the final game of 2015 after James Hird departed.

Egan also spent time working alongside Simon Goodwin at Melbourne before returning to Geelong just under two years ago.

The Dogs have been searching for a range of coaches as they look to revamp the coaching panel in Footscray following a disappointing 2023 campaign, with Egan now a target.

Backline coach Rohan Smith, stoppages coach Marc Webb and development coach Stefan Martin have all departed the Bulldogs since the club missed out on playing in September by half a game to Sydney.

The club is also in the market for a new high performance manager after long-time fitness boss Mat Inness was poached by West Coast to replace Warren Koefed at the Eagles.

MrMahatma
11-10-2023, 09:43 AM
If we miss out on Egan, well, it’ll start to look a bit desperate. Need to close a deal here.

Danny Delre
11-10-2023, 12:31 PM
We are desperate unfortunately

SonofScray
11-10-2023, 12:41 PM
We’ve pulled the wrong levers.

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Interesting to see Clay Smith in the background of Harmes? welcome tour of Whitten Oval: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyP7hfIS-f4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Wonder why we don?t just announce him?

SlimPickens
11-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Interesting to see Clay Smith in the background of Harmes? welcome tour of Whitten Oval: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyP7hfIS-f4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Couldn’t spot him. Brent Prismall definitely. Not Smithy

Grantysghost
11-10-2023, 07:07 PM

I've watched this 5 times there's no Clay Smith.

Why would he be a candidate? Coaching in local footy he's got some work to do before he's in the big leagues.

hujsh
11-10-2023, 07:09 PM
I've watched this 5 times there's no Clay Smith.

Why would he be a candidate? Coaching in local footy he's got some work to do before he's in the big leagues.

Ex players move into development roles all the time and I'd imagine that's what we've have in mind for Smith