PDA

View Full Version : Wood announces AFL retirement

Axe Man
22-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Wood announces AFL retirement (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1026879/wood-announces-afl-retiremen?fbclid=IwAR1ARXbIDxt1CPrsC5pfG01O458_KADjTA0xej0ml X6YMZllmCbvq-eJ5pU)

https://i.postimg.cc/4x9fGVkS/HERO-221021-Woody.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Western Bulldogs Premiership captain Easton Wood has called time on his AFL career.

The 32-year-old leaves the game as a one-club player, having represented the Bulldogs 188 times over 14 seasons, after being taken with pick 43 in the 2007 AFL Draft.

His on-field achievements include a Charles Sutton Medal and an All-Australian blazer in 2015, and the honour of being Club captain in 2018 and 2019.

He was instrumental in the Bulldogs’ 2016 flag season, becoming just the second Premiership skipper in the Club’s history.

Off the field he was just as instrumental, representing the Bulldogs brilliantly in his role as a delegate and later a board member of the AFL Players’ Association, and as an ambassador for long-standing Club partners, including the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation.

After careful consideration, Wood decided the time was right to step away from the game.

“After much thought I’ve decided to retire from the game I love so much, at a club which has been my home for 14 years,” he said.

“Whilst it’s been difficult to confront, the reality is I’ve athletically declined. I wanted to finish up on my own terms and I felt that if I declined further next year, I wouldn't have that opportunity. I’m proud to go out as a member of the team and being part of an amazing run to get to the Grand Final.

“Having dealt with numerous injury setbacks over the last few years, in particular my troublesome hamstrings, I felt like the time was right to step away. I’m at peace with the decision, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

“As I reflect on my career, I’m incredibly proud of my contribution to this special football club. To every person who has had an influence on my career, on or off the field, thank you for making me a better player and person.

“There have been some up and downs along the journey, but I’m leaving the game content that I gave everything I had, backed by my family, friends, and the loyal and passionate Bulldogs members and fans.

“The Club is in such great hands, and I can’t wait to sit back and support the boys as a fan in the years to come.”

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded Wood for his sustained impact at VU Whitten Oval.

“We’ve been extremely fortunate to have Easton as part of our organisation for as long as we have,” he said.

“It’s not often we find a player who is universally admired for his football ability, but also the impact he has on those around him. Easton has left a lasting impression on everyone associated with the Club, and we’re better for having worked with him.

“Not only was he meticulous in his preparation and yearned to maximise his potential as a professional athlete, but he succeeded in being an influential leader and he always spent the time to make others better.

“It’s a shame that Easton didn’t have the opportunity to communicate the news and say his goodbyes directly to the players, coaches and staff, but we’ll find an opportunity to farewell him in person later this year.

“We wish Easton, Tiff, Tilly and Freddie all the best, and they will be forever welcome at our club.”

angelopetraglia
22-10-2021, 12:07 PM
Most probably the right call. Easton Wood has retired. Thanks for the memories. An immortal Bulldog as our second Premiership Captain.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2021/10/21/cbf58bc3-e80a-463b-9a06-ecc0e725f5f3/HERO_221021_Woody.png?width=952&height=592

westdog54
22-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Selfless to the last. Forgoes a year on his contact because it's the right thing to do.

Stupid sexy Easton Wood...

Thank you. For everything.

angelopetraglia
22-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Western Bulldogs Premiership captain Easton Wood has called time on his AFL career.

The 32-year-old leaves the game as a one-club player, having represented the Bulldogs 188 times over 14 seasons, after being taken with pick 43 in the 2007 AFL Draft.

His on-field achievements include a Charles Sutton Medal and an All-Australian blazer in 2015, and the honour of being Club captain in 2018 and 2019.

He was instrumental in the Bulldogs’ 2016 flag season, becoming just the second Premiership skipper in the Club’s history.

Off the field he was just as instrumental, representing the Bulldogs brilliantly in his role as a delegate and later a board member of the AFL Players’ Association, and as an ambassador for long-standing Club partners, including the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation.

After careful consideration, Wood decided the time was right to step away from the game.

“After much thought I’ve decided to retire from the game I love so much, at a club which has been my home for 14 years,” he said.

“Whilst it’s been difficult to confront, the reality is I’ve athletically declined. I wanted to finish up on my own terms and I felt that if I declined further next year, I wouldn't have that opportunity. I’m proud to go out as a member of the team and being part of an amazing run to get to the Grand Final.

“Having dealt with numerous injury setbacks over the last few years, in particular my troublesome hamstrings, I felt like the time was right to step away. I’m at peace with the decision, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

“As I reflect on my career, I’m incredibly proud of my contribution to this special football club. To every person who has had an influence on my career, on or off the field, thank you for making me a better player and person.

“There have been some up and downs along the journey, but I’m leaving the game content that I gave everything I had, backed by my family, friends, and the loyal and passionate Bulldogs members and fans.

“The Club is in such great hands, and I can’t wait to sit back and support the boys as a fan in the years to come.”

Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge lauded Wood for his sustained impact at VU Whitten Oval.

“We’ve been extremely fortunate to have Easton as part of our organisation for as long as we have,” he said.

“It’s not often we find a player who is universally admired for his football ability, but also the impact he has on those around him. Easton has left a lasting impression on everyone associated with the Club, and we’re better for having worked with him.

“Not only was he meticulous in his preparation and yearned to maximise his potential as a professional athlete, but he succeeded in being an influential leader and he always spent the time to make others better.

“It’s a shame that Easton didn’t have the opportunity to communicate the news and say his goodbyes directly to the players, coaches and staff, but we’ll find an opportunity to farewell him in person later this year.

“We wish Easton, Tiff, Tilly and Freddie all the best, and they will be forever welcome at our club.”

Link: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1026879/wood-announces-afl-retiremen

angelopetraglia
22-10-2021, 12:11 PM
Good piece in The Age with more information. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-d-feel-sick-about-that-easton-wood-retires-with-a-year-to-run-20211021-p59244.html

He has definitely made the right call.

EasternWest
22-10-2021, 12:11 PM
First Dylan Addison now this. How am I supposed to cope?

Wood, as always, putting the team before self. What a legend.

Premiership Captain, Bullgod forever.

Axe Man
22-10-2021, 12:14 PM
I think it's the right decision and a huge thanks to Woody for stepping aside and for his brilliant career in the Red, White and Blue.

I know I've banged on about it a bit but it makes the decision to sign him for 2 years even more perplexing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Fantastic clubman, injuries definitely caught up with him, and indeed probably stopped him from reaching his full potential. But he's been a wonderful leader, seems a ripping bloke and will always be a Bulldogs premiership captain and hero.
All the best Stupid Sexy Easton Wood.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Thank you Easton for what you have done for the club. At his peak he was incredible, spoiling, intercepting and retires as an immortal of the club.

EasternWest
22-10-2021, 12:18 PM
Thank you Eastern for what you have done for the club. At his peak he was incredible, spoiling, intercepting and retires as an immortal of the club.

You're welcome. Thanks also to Easton.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 12:26 PM
You're welcome. Thanks also to Easton.

See how you influence me. :D

bornadog
22-10-2021, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9RQs9rl4I

comrade
22-10-2021, 12:30 PM
What a great career, an absolute Bulldogs champ.

Kudos on making the right call to finish up now, his hammies deserve a long and relaxing holiday.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-10-2021, 12:34 PM
Good piece in The Age with more information. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-d-feel-sick-about-that-easton-wood-retires-with-a-year-to-run-20211021-p59244.html

He has definitely made the right call.

Agree. the fact the his thought that it would make him feel sick if his body led him to let the team down next year, just speaks to his quality, and leadership. The consummate clubman.

Grantysghost
22-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Absolute legend - I got a massive man hug from him on GF night 2016 at the after function I'll never forget, think he was more excited than me !
All the best with whatever comes next for Easton.

Axe Man
22-10-2021, 12:37 PM
I thought news articles belonged in Dogs Day? Why has it been moved here?

The Underdog
22-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Goodbye to the hottest ever Bulldog. What a servant to the club on and off the field. Gave it all and got to be only the second ever Bulldog captain to lift the cup.
Rest up Laverne and Shirley.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-10-2021, 12:44 PM
A positive in this news, is that I won't have to put up with my wife using Easton as a reference point to highlight my physical shortcomings any longer.
Bad news is she'll probably just transfer that role over to Bailey Smith....

bornadog
22-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Absolute legend - I got a massive man hug from him on GF night 2016 at the after function I'll never forget, think he was more excited than me !
All the best with whatever comes next for Easton.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCQ22OuVkAEZeZJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Twodogs
22-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Happy retirement Stupid Sexy Premiership Captaining High Flying Charlie Sutton Winning All Australian Entirely Unselfish Reliable Teammate Easton Wood.

Am I right in thinking that means the entire 2016 Men's Department premiership winning defence is now gone from the club?

edit, JJ is still there

MrMahatma
A bull-god for sure.

Thanks Easton. You’ve been a pleasure to watch and have given us such joy over the years. It’s sad that it’s time to call it a day but much respect for calling it on your terms and going out with your last match being a GF. Impressive career and even more impressive human.

jeemak
I think I may have seen this coming but I'm really sad (but I'm not crying you are). Great stuff on a wonderful career Easton and its dignified conclusion.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Kind of surprised, but yet sitting back it's the right call.

Tremendous career Easton, always liked him from day one and had it not been for his body, he probably gets 250+ games.

Either way, 180 odd games, a B&F, AA and Premiership Captain is honestly the stuff of dreams.

Well deserved, he'll be missed - a calming presence, a good leader and somebody who gave his all for this footy club.

Thanks Woody.

comrade
22-10-2021, 12:55 PM
20 hamstring injuries throughout his career. You have to be bloody mentally strong to overcome that many setbacks and still contribute to so strongly to the club.

Not sure what his coaching aspirations are, but I reckon he has it in him to become a very well respected assistant.

EasternWest
22-10-2021, 12:55 PM
I think I may have seen this coming but I'm really sad (but I'm not crying you are). Great stuff on a wonderful career Easton and its dignified conclusion.

Just watched his highlights package on Twitter and can admit that I am in fact crying a bit.

At his peak just an outstanding player.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 12:56 PM
20 hamstring injuries throughout his career.

Wow, didn't realise it was that many

bornadog
22-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Swamp
@sirswampthing

Easton Wood calls time

In the 2021 SF became the first WBD person to play in a final on their birthday

8 wins in finals
Equal most for WBD with Matthew Boyd

Premiership captains for WBD
Charlie Sutton
Ellie Blackburn
EASTON WOOD

whythelongface
22-10-2021, 01:06 PM
What a champion. Always put the club first. Will always be remembered as a legend of the club.

We will be forever grateful.

Thank you

GVGjr
22-10-2021, 01:12 PM
He's certainly put the club first and arrived at the right decision. A club captain and premiership player so he's done what every footy loving kid dreams of.

GVGjr
22-10-2021, 01:13 PM
I thought news articles belonged in Dogs Day? Why has it been moved here?

It looks like a couple of threads were merged.
I agree it should be on Dogs Day so I'll move it over

Mofra
22-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Selfless to the last. Forgoes a year on his contact because it's the right thing to do.
My first thoughts too.
We were lucky to have him. Will always be known as a Premiership Captain.

SquirrelGrip
22-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Easton Wood. Club first always.

For me, he's almost up there with Dale Morris... There's no higher compliment.

G-Mo77
22-10-2021, 01:40 PM
I'm not surprised but it still hurts. All the best Woody

Testekill
22-10-2021, 01:43 PM
‘I’d feel sick about that’: Easton Wood retires with a year to run

By Daniel Cherny (https://www.theage.com.au/by/daniel-cherny-hvf8i)
October 22, 2021 — 11.00am

Easton Wood couldn’t stomach the thought that he might let the Western Bulldogs down next year. The idea of always putting the club’s interests first had been drilled into him by Bob Murphy, the man alongside whom Wood held aloft the premiership cup in 2016, ending what was at the time the AFL’s longest premiership drought. (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-grszu4)
Wood was contracted for 2022, and pulling the pin a year early would mean relinquishing tens of thousands of dollars. But that was a secondary consideration.

“No matter how much I was getting paid next year, if I felt like I was just rocking up to get a pay cheque knowing that ‘jeez at any moment if I pinged a string or I got dropped that I could just pull the pin’ and leave the club high and dry, I’d feel sick about that. I don’t think I’d be able to ever reconcile that, no matter how much was coming back the other way,” Wood told The Age.
So, having first thought about the idea of a premature retirement as early as May, Wood - after discussions with wife Tiff and a close circle of friends - has decided to forego his 2022 contract, retiring from the AFL after 188 games since being drafted at pick 43 out of high school at the end of 2007. (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-gkwl1u)

The idea had first popped up during the round-nine win this year against Port Adelaide. The Dogs were flying, but the defender was faltering. His hamstring gave way early in the game. It was his third such injury of the year and the 20th of his career.
“You know how there’s the definition of insanity of doing the same thing twice and expect a different response? I was thinking, is that where I’m at and have I already crossed over? What’s going to change? That kind of incident rocked me a little bit. I thought that was my body saying it wasn’t kind of up to the demands of AFL.” Wood said.
Briefly, he pondered whether that would be it.
“You kind of catastrophise straight after the event and you kind of have to bottom out before you can come back up. I was confronting that idea of ‘am I done?’ And then after a few days, and you let the emotions settle a bit you go, ‘no I’m not, it’s round nine, it’s only a grade-one.’

“[But] once that idea was planted in my head it was kind of hard to avoid thinking about it.

“The great thing was I kind of made a deal with myself that I’ll do everything I can to get back and if it goes again then that might be it. But if it doesn’t I’ll try to eke out as much [as I can].”
Eke he did. Though it took him more than two months to get back into the senior side (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-p58ss9), a journey that included a VFL stint and another month sidelined because of an ankle injury, Wood made it back. He was there for the Dogs’ capitulation over the final rounds of the home-and-away season, and then for their mighty national tour through the finals. (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-p58qxr)
But the gnawing hadn’t gone away. And a brutal reality had dawned. Wood’s body, torn and repaired so regularly over the years, was no longer doing what his mind willed him to do.

“The thing that became apparent over that period and probably what’s been the driving factor in my decision-making is that whilst it was great to be back in the team and be fit, it’s a bit hard to confront but I’ve athletically declined. Just not quite as fast as I used to be and I can’t quite jump as high either. It’s only small, but it might mean missing the ball by a centimetre.
“Kind of confronting that reality I sat back and looked at next year and thought, ‘jeez I don’t want to decline more and find myself out of the team and go out that way,’ so I’ve decided to go out that slightly bit early, go out on my own terms and albeit not the way we wanted it to end, losing that grand final, but I go out playing at the pinnacle of the sport, so I’m really content and proud.”

Coach Luke Beveridge was understanding. Having already witnessed a handful of premiership players step away while under contract for varying reasons, he did not seek to twist Wood’s arm.
“He said he was a little bit surprised, which was I suppose nice to hear, flattering. But he didn’t attempt to change my mind, he just thanked me for what I’d done. And obviously I thanked him because when he came along he turned me into a different player. I’ve had exactly half my career with him, and I became probably twice the player I was before he came along.”

Wood’s assertion that Beveridge changed his career is not an over-simplification. The backman had played 65 largely unobtrusive matches to the end of 2014 when the coach arrived. But Beveridge backed Wood to fly for his marks and win the ball, rather than just nullify. (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-gouoku)
The years that followed would bring a best-and-fairest crown and All-Australian blazer in 2015 before elevation to the vice-captaincy ahead of the 2016 campaign.

Has there ever been a more famous deputy in VFL/AFL history? Murphy’s season-ending knee injury in round three thrust Wood into the top job, and eventually into immortality as a premiership captain. Murphy resumed the captaincy in 2017 before Wood stepped up properly at the end of that season until (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-p58ss9)Marcus Bontempelli took over.
Wood says his footballing peak came in the first quarter of the preliminary final win over Greater Western Sydney in which he “marked everything”.

He had been reluctant to dwell too much on the premiership at the time, mindful that at 27 he still had plenty of unfinished business.
“When I experienced it all in real-time, I really wanted to solidify those memories myself. I haven’t watched the grand final back. That was a really conscious decision to make sure my memories were through my own eyes ... but also at that stage I was probably in the prime of my career, and I was thinking ‘I want more.’ And I can’t get more by looking back.

“But I tell you what, I’ll be watching it pretty soon. There’ll be no guilt whatsoever, I’ll just chuck it on and live off the glory for a while!”
Wood, like so many Victorians after two COVID-riddled years, is in the short term just planning on enjoying the simple pleasures of life with Tiff, daughter Matilda (aged two), and son Frederick, soon to turn one.

Having stayed in Victoria during lockdown this time around, Wood wants Tiff to be able to dedicate time to her consultancy business.
“My wife’s incredible, she’s supported me through this whole thing.”
For Wood, there are no concrete plans about the next chapter from there. Staying in footy is an option, but after 14 years a break is welcome.
Whether he has a future in the game or not, his place in its history is secure. Bulldog VFL/AFL premiership captains. There are just two. Charlie Sutton, and the kid from Camperdown.

Testekill
22-10-2021, 01:46 PM
Best of luck to Wood, sometimes you can tell when your time has come. The team will miss his leadership and we'll be a hell of a lot less handsome without him.

Mantis
22-10-2021, 01:53 PM
What a selfless act to make this call... we were all questioning his worth to the team in 2022 given how his body has been struggling to cope with the rigors of being an AFL player, but for Easton to recognize this and step away whilst under contract is testament to his character.

Forever a Bulldogs premiership captain and during his prime was a wonderful player.

soupman
22-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Awesome player and maybe the player I respect the most as a person (Morris his main competition). Bowing out like this certainly only strengthens that impression.

Those first two years under Beveridge were incredible, such a joy to watch. That mark he took against Freo where he ran back with the flight and then launched himself to take it is probably my favourite memory of him, along with a lot of the 2016 finals series.

chef
22-10-2021, 02:10 PM
Bullgod forever.

Is it sad my first thoughts were how was EW taking this news haha.

jeemak
22-10-2021, 02:17 PM
He's dead right about the first quarter of the GWS preliminary final. He was super stupid sexy Easton Wood at that time.

Throughandthrough
22-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Nothing but positive thoughts and incredible memories when I think back through his career. Admiration level 10/10, future dogs HOF member

merantau
22-10-2021, 02:42 PM
Quality player and person. Bulldog Immortal.

Bulldog Joe
22-10-2021, 02:57 PM
He's dead right about the first quarter of the GWS preliminary final. He was super stupid sexy Easton Wood at that time.

He certainly set a high standard that night.

Well done Easton. It has been a joy to watch your career.

Bulldog Revolution
22-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Outstanding Bulldog as everyone here has said. Such a humble and grounded person.

Whilst injuries held him back at times, his peak footy was insanely good. That first quarter of the 2016 prelim Easton Wood was iconic. Wood just put his stamp on that game as we locked the ball inside our forward 50 and got repeat entries - he marked everything that came anywhere near him. He made supporters and his teammates believe.

For a career spent mostly in defence, he kicked some cracking goals amongst his 20 career goals.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 03:06 PM
That mark he took against Freo where he ran back with the flight and then launched himself to take it is probably my favourite memory of him, along with a lot of the 2016 finals series.

That mark has never been acknowledged by any so called experts, one of the best marks I have ever seen. The video does it no justice. It was totally freakish and magnificent athleticism.

The Doctor
22-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Easton Wood is and will always be one of my favourite ever Bulldogs and I've been following the Dogs since Led Zep IV was released.

What a brilliant player and captain he was for us long suffering fans. The premiership meant as much to him as it did for us.

I hope he remains with the club in some way but whatever he chooses to do it is sure to be a success. Easton is a smart man with a great future to look forward to. He gets my since appreciation. Go well young man.

WBFC4FFC
22-10-2021, 05:14 PM
Is Easton Coaching material?

EasternWest
22-10-2021, 05:32 PM
Bullgod forever.

Is it sad my first thoughts were how was EW taking this news haha.

Poorly.

Stupid, sexy Easton Wood. Sad trombone.

kruder
22-10-2021, 05:35 PM
Good decision Easton.

In 15/16 was one of the best defenders in the game and you realise how much we miss this when watching our back half over the last few years.

16 will never be forgotten.

Goodnight and goodluck.

GVGjr
22-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Is Easton Coaching material?

I wonder if he has been working on coaching accreditations?
Perhaps he will move into the coterie groups management. With his personality it could be a win for the members and the club.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 06:04 PM
Some great Marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbuR7HW0SY

angelopetraglia
22-10-2021, 06:15 PM
2015 was an unbelievable year for Easton. His body never cooperated in a way that allowed him to reach those lofty heights again. At his best in that year he was an unstoppable intercepting marking beast. Every time the ball was kicked anywhere in his vicinity, I just knew he would get there.

bornadog
22-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Listen to Easton here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=919569)

Scraggers
22-10-2021, 07:19 PM
Poorly.

Stupid, sexy Easton Wood. Sad trombone.

Change of name for yourself??

azabob
22-10-2021, 07:33 PM
I totally forgot that he won the B&F in 2015. Shame on me.

What a champion player and role model.

Oh, and for those asking is he coaching material or what is next. Isn’t it obvious? Model of course.

WBFC4FFC
22-10-2021, 08:16 PM
I totally forgot that he won the B&F in 2015. Shame on me.

What a champion player and role model.

Oh, and for those asking is he coaching material or what is next. Isn’t it obvious? Model of course.

That is why I asked.

He seems to have the right characteristics to be a coach. Not sure how he is on tactics but at the end of the day, does he aspire to get into coaching? I have no read-through on this.

EasternWest
22-10-2021, 08:22 PM
Change of name for yourself??

Too traumatic to go through again.

Plus Eastern means from the East. Rhyming with Easton was just a bonus.

Vred
22-10-2021, 08:40 PM
He will be missed. Great clubman, great player at his peak, and overall Bullgod for life.

Lotta love for Easton, hopefully he carries on the Barkley Street podcast.

Doc26
22-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Easton’s the last of our mature age 2016 premiership crop, and what a bunch of champs they were.

Great leader on and off the field, and at his prime an elite intercepting defender. Loved his leadership and stance against the proliferation of gambling advertising that has become such a scourge.

Will always be known as our drought breaking Premiership Captain.

Wow, what a legacy.

Eastdog
22-10-2021, 10:27 PM
Thank you Easton. You have been a fantastic servant of our footy club. I wish him well for whatever he does next. Come to think of it my username can be interpreted as a reference to Easton.

angelopetraglia
23-10-2021, 07:38 AM
“ After three hamstring tears this year – the last of them in Round 9 was his 20th overall – Wood has called time on his 188-game career despite being contracted for next season.”

20 hamstring tears!

Go_Dogs
23-10-2021, 10:18 PM
Sad to see Woody retire - been a great clubman and elite player over the journey.

One of the smokies that paid off from the Clayton years.

KT31
24-10-2021, 10:10 PM
Absolute legend; selfless until the end.

westbulldog
24-10-2021, 11:07 PM
Easton Wood retires after a stellar career at the Western Bulldogs. Our second only premiership captain, an elite athletic defender at his best and an absolute quality person. All the very best for your future Easton.

macca
29-10-2021, 04:02 AM
Wood is a champion. so much he has achieved in this 188 games ,
2 GF , 1 Premiership

thanks for all the fond memories, and putting your body on the line, especially the 2016 year. You were amazing
One of my favorite photos was wood with a sea of RWB debris covered on the mcg. Photo attached not quite the right angle, but it was a beautiful picture capture a moment which was one of the greatest achievements in history for the club.

I have attached pic, unfortunately, do not know how to attach pics here.

https://style.gq.com.au/media/file_uploads/3/1/4/0/31437-1.jpg

EasternWest
29-10-2021, 10:22 AM
2 GF , 1 Premiership

thanks for all the fond memories, and putting your body on the line, especially the 2016 year. You were amazing
One of my favorite photos was wood with a sea of RWB debris covered on the mcg. Photo attached not quite the right angle, but it was a beautiful picture capture a moment which was one of the greatest achievements in history for the club.

You need some grantysghost in yo life.

https://i.postimg.cc/qvsmSCcy/31437-1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/75LMThWZ)[/url]

My favourite:

[url=https://postimages.org/]https://i.postimg.cc/6qZSQbZ1/images-3.jpg (https://treetop100babynames.com/exotic-baby-names-boys)

Grantysghost
29-10-2021, 11:46 AM
2 GF , 1 Premiership

Sent you a DM Macca with some instructions.

The Underdog
29-10-2021, 03:07 PM
You need some grantysghost in yo life.

https://i.postimg.cc/qvsmSCcy/31437-1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/75LMThWZ)[/url]

My favourite:

[url=https://postimages.org/]https://i.postimg.cc/6qZSQbZ1/images-3.jpg (https://treetop100babynames.com/exotic-baby-names-boys)

Not sure what this web site is rated, but that's straight-up porn right there.

EasternWest
29-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Not sure what this web site is rated, but that's straight-up porn right there.

You're telling me. I had to go for a lie down.

macca
30-10-2021, 03:56 AM
Thanks EW , that is exactly the pic I remember . Brilliant photo

Will take that memory to the day I die

Many thanks grantghost for pic instruction

Thanks also gvg for looking at my query

This site is awesome

merantau
30-10-2021, 05:54 PM
I'll always have a lot of good memories of Easton Wood - his high marking, his dash, his tackling, spoiling, his 1%ers, his coolness under pressure, his desperation saves and his sheer athleticism.

A couple of standout memories:
- that game at the SCG when he leapt high in the air to boot the ball out of mid air for a goal to give us the lead and then, shortly after he had to save the game by gathering cleanly under pressure from two Swans attackers and get a clearing handball away to Murph from memory. He won the game and then saved the game. Won it because few players have the athleticism to kick a goal like that and he saved it because he was one out against two opponents and had to execute PERFECTLY - else it was game over.

- another was the mark he took in 2015 running back with the flight of the ball to launch himself very high, not knowing what was coming, to grab the ball cleanly before being upended by his opponent and crashing to ground.

-.his Prelim game against GWS was outstanding. Has any defendet ever played a better first quarter? That mark he took was freakish. Completely out of position, as he was well under the ball, he managed, from astride his opponent's upper body/shoulders, to contort his body in mid-air to somehow arch himself backwards to matk at full stretch. Those two marks were the best I'd seen since the glory days of Brett Montgomery.

- Same game, coolness and desperation under pressure was displayed at the death when he got the ball to ground in a pack situation and then surrounded by GWS players managed to get the ball to Fletcher Roberts who, also under pressure, produced the perfect down-the-line kick enabling us to reach the boundary and win a stoppage.

- after a wasteful start in the semi against Hawthorn it was Easton Wood who got us on the board after he nailed a set shot from 45 mts out. That was a pressure goal.

Marvellous player. Thanks for the memories.