PDA

View Full Version : Pick a fringe player and predict his future in 2022

Dry Rot
08-11-2021, 11:29 PM
We have lots of interesting fringe players across the lines who could have a breakout season next year, given a chance or played in an alternate position. In 2021 they got rare opportunities for a variety of reasons.

As we know, there are always injuries and bad luck in a season. But the flipside is opportunities for fringe players.

So pick a fringe player and predict his future in 2022.

Some possibilities:

Wallis

Crozier

West

Schache

Mclean

Butler

Richards

Khamis

Bedendo

Scott

MCNeil

R Smith

Garcia

Sweet

boydogs
09-11-2021, 12:15 AM
Sweet will surprise until about round 15 then start to struggle and we will wonder why we're playing Schache in the ruck

Grantysghost
09-11-2021, 12:18 AM
Sweet will surprise until about round 15 then start to struggle and we will wonder why we're playing Schache in the ruck

Then we have Stef.

boydogs
09-11-2021, 01:33 AM
Then we have Stef.

Stef will break the injury list format by having 3 conditions at once each with different timeframes

Mofra
09-11-2021, 09:19 AM
Richards will remind us why he was a first round draft pick and be firmly best 22 pretty early in the season

Mantis
09-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Richards will remind us why he was a first round draft pick and be firmly best 22 pretty early in the season

Where do you see him playing?

GVGjr
09-11-2021, 12:28 PM

I think he is a back flanker and a winger but that might mean we have to shuffle others around. Perhaps coming off the bench and filling in is how we will use him.

Mofra
09-11-2021, 12:44 PM
Among the HB rotations.
I think Caleb becomes a true utility next year rather than predominantly a defender.

Keath & Gardner KPDs
TOB interceptor
Duryea, Williams, Dale, Richards rotate as the running types

GVGjr
09-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Among the HB rotations.
I think Caleb becomes a true utility next year rather than predominantly a defender.

Keath & Gardner KPDs
TOB interceptor
Duryea, Williams, Dale, Richards rotate as the running types

This is why we might have to move Dale more into the midfield.

Mantis
09-11-2021, 01:12 PM
This is why we might have to move Dale more into the midfield.

Could we move Dale onto a wing?

Like he's just won an AA gig as a HB, but could he help us further in this role?

Mofra
09-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Like he's just won an AA gig as a HB, but could he help us further in this role?
It's an interesting argument over Dale or Williams who would be better able to make the transition.
Ironically, whichever defender we try there would probably play more of an 'attacking' wing role and our other wing (e.g. Roarke) would be more negating.

Grantysghost
09-11-2021, 08:01 PM
It's an interesting argument over Dale or Williams who would be better able to make the transition.
Ironically, whichever defender we try there would probably play more of an 'attacking' wing role and our other wing (e.g. Roarke) would be more negating.

Was that the reason we were second best though? It was ruck dominance and lack of midfield defence for mine. We need to get some better defensive strategies in the midfield to combat the dominant ruck.

I wouldn't be touching our half back line.

bornadog
09-11-2021, 11:31 PM
I think Garcia will have a break out season and cement a spot in the forward line as a small forward. He may even get some midfield time. He showed some glimpses in 2021 and will have another preseason under his belt

FrediKanoute
10-11-2021, 02:27 AM
Wallis - the Bruce injury opens up a spot and whilst Schahe will have the inside running I think Wally will find a way o break into the team and make his presence felt

soupman
10-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Khamis.

With just 4 tall defenders on the list he is only an injury or two away from getting a game. It'll be his fourth year on the list so if he's not ready by then when will he be? We certainly have space for an athletic defender who can play tallish or small.

Grantysghost
10-11-2021, 10:38 AM
McNeil.

Just because he's awesome.

Mofra
10-11-2021, 10:46 AM
Khamis.

With just 4 tall defenders on the list he is only an injury or two away from getting a game. It'll be his fourth year on the list so if he's not ready by then when will he be? We certainly have space for an athletic defender who can play tallish or small.
I think next year that will be TOB

bornadog
10-11-2021, 12:50 PM
McNeil.

Just because he's awesome.

and you ditched him for your avatar :D

Grantysghost
10-11-2021, 05:52 PM
and you ditched him for your avatar :D

I know but Bailey is all the rage right now and I'm really just a part of the pack ! (McNeil may be back).

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2021, 12:11 PM

I think Daniel is the one we should be more accommodating to move around.

Daniel's shown an ability to impact the game in multiple positions across the ground already, so I'd continue with that. I think given Dale's challenges to date and the fact he finally found a position/consistency, we keep him as a HBFer.

I also think we still have a need for some of Daniel's ball use forward of centre, given it's so sublime. In big games where space is limited, he could be the difference.

I actually like our wings of Hunter and R. Smith for the most part - both these guys have huge tanks and work hard both ways. If we had a more damaging winger that would be nice (i.e. Gaff) but I think Roarke can be important as a senior role player moving forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2021, 12:15 PM
Schache.

Big year for him - feel like we say that every year - but he made some big steps forward in 2021. It'll be interesting to see where he trains over pre-season, do we put time into him as a defender? Do we see him as a genuine utility? Do we think we need him forward given Bruce's injury?

Either way, there's a spot up for grabs at either end of the ground if he's good enough. He's 24 so he's close to the right age to be playing near the peak of his powers, he should have more confidence than he's ever had before after playing well in a finals series culminating in a GF appearance.

If he consistently plays well, wherever it is, we're a much better side for it.

I'll predict we use him as a utility and he plays 17 games.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2021, 07:42 AM
I’m going with West.

We need a tough player who makes the opposition earn it and can play a defensive role around the contest, tackle hard, but also win ball when needed. West can be that player for us.

Mofra
12-11-2021, 09:24 AM
I’m going with West.

We need a tough player who makes the opposition earn it and can play a defensive role around the contest, tackle hard, but also win ball when needed. West can be that player for us.
Arguably viewed a bit harshly by the MC too. Was killing it in the VFL, is too good for that level.

GVGjr
12-11-2021, 10:46 AM
Arguably viewed a bit harshly by the MC too. Was killing it in the VFL, is too good for that level.

He has to be able to contribute as a smaller forward as well and that is where I don't think the MC has the faith in him.

azabob
12-11-2021, 10:47 AM
He has to be able to contribute as a smaller forward as well and that is where I don't think the MC has the faith in him.

My issue with West is he also seems to lose concentration and gives away dumb free kicks and sometimes 50m penalties.

VDM also has this issue.

GVGjr
12-11-2021, 11:27 AM
My issue with West is he also seems to lose concentration and gives away dumb free kicks and sometimes 50m penalties.

VDM also has this issue.

Good observation.

Mofra
12-11-2021, 12:21 PM
TBH I think that was a factor in one AFL game where he was clearly desperate to make an impact. It kind of reminded me of how Wally changed his game a little when he knew he was under pressure to hold his spot.

I really think some younger kids just improve when their composure gets a bit better at AFL level. Ryan Gardner is one, Roarke Smith another, Westy seems the same to me. Might be competing with another Rhylee/Riley though for that hard-arse high forward spot.

jeemak
13-11-2021, 08:06 PM
TBH I think that was a factor in one AFL game where he was clearly desperate to make an impact. It kind of reminded me of how Wally changed his game a little when he knew he was under pressure to hold his spot.

I really think some younger kids just improve when their composure gets a bit better at AFL level. Ryan Gardner is one, Roarke Smith another, Westy seems the same to me. Might be competing with another Rhylee/Riley though for that hard-arse high forward spot.

If I recall it was coupled with some selfish decisions as well, which may also have been as you say, born of desire to impress/ get runs on the board.

Dry Rot
13-11-2021, 09:30 PM
Is Butler still on our list?

Ghost Dog
13-11-2021, 09:53 PM
Mitch Wallis won’t go quietly.
Expect a break out from him. Am I just a romantic?
He can do just about anything Mitch Hannan can do and is more aggressive.

EasternWest
13-11-2021, 10:00 PM

Agree with this.

Expect a break out from him.

Disagree.

Am I just a romantic?

Yes.

Disagree

jeemak
13-11-2021, 10:58 PM
Is Butler still on our list?

Yep, only cracked it for a single senior appearance this year but was extended to 2022. However, knowing that is sheer luck on my behalf because everyone's too lazy to consolidate this type of information into something like a sticky thread to make it easier for all of us.

jeemak
13-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Expect a break out from him. Am I just a romantic?

You're a wonderful romantic, not just a romantic......

He's nothing like Mitch Hannan though, and won't ever be. A bit like Bruce did in his second year I think Hannan will come back better prepared for what is required athletically of our forwards in our system and be a stronger contributor......well hopefully anyway.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2021, 01:29 PM
You're a wonderful romantic, not just a romantic......

He's nothing like Mitch Hannan though, and won't ever be. A bit like Bruce did in his second year I think Hannan will come back better prepared for what is required athletically of our forwards in our system and be a stronger contributor......well hopefully anyway.

Thanks Jeemak. Hope your are doing well.

I do love my Bulldogs. Have been getting plenty of compliments on the scarf here in Shanghai.

Bruce was awful when he came. The comparison MJP made of him being like a big Labrador looking for a tennis ball was apt.
Up there with Dale as most improved.

I am not really sold on Mitch Hannan. This is an interesting point of difference to see how it plays out during the year.
You reckon Wallis won’t come good, I say he will. This will give us something to look forward to this season.

I think Wally has a fierceness in him that will be useful. I haven’t seen any fierce qualities from Hannan. He has some attributes but is a bit of a nice guy. But will be very happy to be proven wrong. If anything, to stick it to Melbourne. The least deserved Grand Finalists going in a year of a pandemic.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Agree with this.

Disagree.

Yes.

Disagree

Made me laugh. Hi Easty.
If I go back through my own posts you will find in 2016 I rightly claimed we would win the big dance.
( Please ignore the fact I probably said that every year )
Am I a footy Luddite, absolutely. But if you are optimistic enough for long enough eventually it will come true.

Mitch Wallis is not going to win the Brownlow.
But predicting he will have a few Lindsay Gillbee in-the-forward line big bags and be a nuisance for a few games for a while yet.
He’s fit enough and hungry enough to just be there when it goes his way.

EasternWest
14-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Made me laugh. Hi Easty.
If I go back through my own posts you will find in 2016 I rightly claimed we would win the big dance.
( Please ignore the fact I probably said that every year )
Am I a footy Luddite, absolutely. But if you are optimistic enough for long enough eventually it will come true.

Mitch Wallis is not going to win the Brownlow.
But predicting he will have a few Lindsay Gillbee in-the-forward line big bags and be a nuisance for a few games for a while yet.
He’s fit enough and hungry enough to just be there when it goes his way.

Hey I hope you're right about Mitch. I love the guy.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-11-2021, 12:36 PM
Bend it like Bedendo.
Bedendo will enter our lexicon as he glides, jumps and kicks to impress.

Bulldog Revolution
26-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Could Bhuku effectively replace Wood?

He’s been in the system a few years, should have the tank and strength now to play - is he ready? Hard to tell after the last two years but he’s an intriguing potential option who could add athleticism, marking and foot skills to our backline.

GVGjr
27-11-2021, 12:12 AM

He’s been in the system a few years, should have the tank and strength now to play - is he ready? Hard to tell after the last two years but he’s an intriguing potential option who could add athleticism, marking and foot skills to our backline.

I think O'Brien is seen as the Wood replacement and Khamis as the back-up. It's a big year ahead for Buku.

The Adelaide Connection
27-11-2021, 12:09 PM

He was also awesome in the preseason game he played last year. I remember him biting off some aggressive kicks and nailing them (when he had a less advantageous easier kick available). Think it said a lot, I hope this preseason gets him over the line.

Grantysghost
27-11-2021, 12:16 PM
He was also awesome in the preseason game he played last year. I remember him biting off some aggressive kicks and nailing them (when he had a less advantageous easier kick available). Think it said a lot, I hope this preseason gets him over the line.

My biggest worry with Khamis, and I love him by the way is his reading of the play and positioning.
He certainly is good with ball in hand now.
Its when he doesn't have it, but I think that can be taught.

FrediKanoute
30-11-2021, 02:36 AM
My biggest worry with Khamis, and I love him by the way is his reading of the play and positioning.

Spot on. He relies on his athletecism to get him to the contest and against VFL players he is fine. Against AFL players that lack of a natural feel for the game puts him at a disadvantage.

Its something he will have to overcome.

Bulldog Joe
30-11-2021, 08:00 AM

I actually believe that is the thing that sets players apart, because it is so difficult to learn if it is not innate.

Ghost Dog
30-11-2021, 04:52 PM
I'm really looking for ward to Josh Schache in 2022.
He's become a much better player in the last year.
Having JUH around will lift his chin a bit. Like the photos of him in training. Developing well.

Not sure if he is exactly fringe on paper, but certainly some doubts over him earlier in last year.

Axe Man
30-11-2021, 05:04 PM
I'm really looking for ward to Josh Schache in 2020.

Spoiler alert: there is very little to get excited about.

Ghost Dog
30-11-2021, 05:08 PM
Spoiler alert: there is very little to get excited about.

Let's wait and see. But anyway what do you think the biggest hole in his game is?
Bevo obviously has faith.

Axe Man
30-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Let's wait and see. But anyway what do you think the biggest hole in his game is?
Bevo obviously has faith.

You might want to check your post again. ;)

Ghost Dog
30-11-2021, 05:34 PM
Oh forget it then. Sorry, just trying to discuss a player.

Axe Man
30-11-2021, 05:54 PM

Wow, was just a joke, lighten up.

EasternWest
30-11-2021, 06:53 PM

Wow, was just a joke, lighten up.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I got the joke Axe. Normally those things go way over my head.

"For Ward to Josh Schache" - very little to get excited about, because Ward plays for someone else.

Although I suppose if that happens, Ward's turned it over, so that's mini excitement.

hujsh
30-11-2021, 07:11 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I got the joke Axe. Normally those things go way over my head.

"For Ward to Josh Schache" - very little to get excited about, because Ward plays for someone else.

Although I suppose if that happens, Ward's turned it over, so that's mini excitement.

It was looking forward to Josh in 2020. Axe joking that we already know he didn't have a standout year.

I got it Axe

EasternWest
30-11-2021, 07:14 PM
It was looking forward to Josh in 2020. Axe joking that we already know he didn't have a standout year.

I got it Axe

You see, I knew there was something suspicious when I got the joke. Turns out I didn't so status quo remains.

Stupid hujsh, couldn't just let me have this moment.

Grantysghost
30-11-2021, 07:38 PM
You see, I knew there was something suspicious when I got the joke. Turns out I didn't so status quo remains.

I liked your version just as much.

hujsh
01-12-2021, 09:58 AM

I liked your version just as much.

It was very creative. A for effort. It goes on the imaginary fridge.

EasternWest
01-12-2021, 02:40 PM
It was very creative. A for effort. It goes on the imaginary fridge.

Are you going to pat me on the head too?

hujsh
01-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Are you going to pat me on the head too?

Sure thing Champ

EasternWest
01-12-2021, 03:47 PM
Sure thing Champ

Booooooooo

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-12-2021, 04:30 PM
Sure thing Champ

Ouch! You'd better hope EW hasn't watched the TV Show 'Mr Inbetween'! Calling someone a Champ in a jail is 'fight on sight' stuff.

hujsh
01-12-2021, 04:31 PM
Ouch! You'd better hope EW hasn't watched the TV Show 'Mr Inbetween'! Calling someone a Champ in a jail is 'fight on sight' stuff.

That's alright I'm sticking far away from the Yarraville nets.

Grantysghost
01-12-2021, 04:51 PM

That and bud.

No problems bud.

GVGjr
01-12-2021, 05:07 PM

Yep, thought the same when I read it.

bornadog
08-03-2022, 05:17 PM
MACRAE TIPS ENGLISH/RICHARDS AND YOUNG DOGS TO HAVE BREAKOUT YEARS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/08/macrae-tips-english-and-young-dogs-to-have-breakout-years/)

​The Western Bulldogs are coming into this year looking to avenge last year’s devastating premiership loss to Melbourne.

The club is putting its faith in several young players to make the leap and pre-season form suggests that they have.

Three-time All-Australian midfielder Jack Macrae believes ruckman Tim English has made strides in the off-season and is primed for a breakout year in 2022.

“I think he’s maturing, each season he’s maturing in levels that he’s gone to,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“He’s come back and put on a few more kilos, just more confidence in his own self.”

Although English will be put to the test in Round 1 against the all-conquering Demons, Macrae believes that his potential is through the roof and the playing group has faith in him.

“He’s got a big task in Max Gawn in Round 1, but we’re looking forward to supporting him as best we can,” the Dogs star said.

“He still hasn’t reached a level that I think he’s capable of, and that he knows he’s capable of as well.”

Another young gun that the newly appointed vice-captain is excited about is 2020 number one draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

The 19-year-old appeared in only five games for the Dogs last season, struggling to meet fitness expectations and finding challenges in adapting to the professionalism of AFL football.

“He has the right attitude and he’s come in extremely fit this pre-season, I’ve been really impressed by his training ethic,” Macrae said.

“You’ve just got to give it time and that key forward role is a bloody hard role to play.”

Every year it seems that a club has a ‘bolter’ – a player who works their way up the depth chart and finds a place in the 22.

Macrae is betting that defender Ed Richards will have that fortune this year.

“He’s been very impressive for us over the pre-season, and really keen to see him have a big season because he deserves it,” he added.