PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Arthur Jones

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 09:42 PM
Nice pick by us
WE get an athletically gifted speedster who adds to our indigenous programme.

The Underdog
25-11-2021, 09:44 PM
Some fat fingers on the title there G :)?

Looking forward to barracking for Arthur.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2021, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the lad.

What's his playing style like / what are his attributes?

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 09:46 PM
Here is a write up from Knightmare

Player focus

A draft smokie who little was expected of for Western Australia in the Grand Final curtain raiser against South Australia, Arthur Jones was the star of the day, playing a major part in his side's five-point win.

With just the nine games of WAFL Colts exposure before Saturday's match, club recruiters will be scrambling for game tape of Jones and discussing whether he should be added to their draft boards after playing a high impact per possession game in which he kicked two goals in 10 minutes and was Western Australia's most damaging around the ground.

Jones broke the lines with his run, used his agility and evasion to avoid would-be tacklers, hit meaningful targets by foot, felt lively and as if he could make something happen whenever the ball hit the ground.

In 22-minute quarters, the dangerous outside runner managed 15 disposals, six inside 50s and two goals. At just 178cm and 60kg, Jones is light and will take time to develop, but the talent and scope to improve is obvious. With hints of Jarman Impey, once developed physically, Jones could prove a similarly damaging player.

josie
25-11-2021, 09:47 PM
So looking forward to yelling out Onya Arfur, Go Guv!!

Congrats Arthur. We have a new Jones boy. Here’s hoping you have a great career with the Dogs.

The Underdog
25-11-2021, 09:49 PM
So looking forward to yelling out Onya Arfur, Go Guv!!

Congrats Arthur. We have a new Jones boy. Here’s hoping you have a great career with the Dogs.

He could be so good for us?

josie
25-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Here is a write up from Knightmare

Player focus

A draft smokie who little was expected of for Western Australia in the Grand Final curtain raiser against South Australia, Arthur Jones was the star of the day, playing a major part in his side's five-point win.

With just the nine games of WAFL Colts exposure before Saturday's match, club recruiters will be scrambling for game tape of Jones and discussing whether he should be added to their draft boards after playing a high impact per possession game in which he kicked two goals in 10 minutes and was Western Australia's most damaging around the ground.

Jones broke the lines with his run, used his agility and evasion to avoid would-be tacklers, hit meaningful targets by foot, felt lively and as if he could make something happen whenever the ball hit the ground.

In 22-minute quarters, the dangerous outside runner managed 15 disposals, six inside 50s and two goals. At just 178cm and 60kg, Jones is light and will take time to develop, but the talent and scope to improve is obvious. With hints of Jarman Impey, once developed physically, Jones could prove a similarly damaging player.

Thanks Gvgjr. Does Arthur have First Nations heritage?

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Some fat fingers on the title there G :)?

Looking forward to barracking for Arthur.

Too quick for my own good, all fixed now

hujsh
25-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Here's a draft profile of him as well. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some footage of him

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/arthur-jones/

One of this year's surprise packets, flying Claremont wingman Arthur Jones was the final West Australian draft combine invitee. He stormed into draft contention with an eye-catching back end of the season, joining the Tigers' Colts finals campaign and also turning out with great success for his state Under 19 side.
Jones enjoyed a productive season with Wesley College in the PSA competition too, showcasing his exciting mix of traits across multiple levels. Available in the open draft despite links to West Coast's NGA system, the speedy outside runner blends his flair with a high work rate but remains a raw type who can look to build his strength and consistency.
STRENGTHS:
+ Speed/endurance mix
+ Athleticism
+ Work rate
+ Outside run
+ X-factor
IMPROVEMENTS:
- Contested game
- Strength
- Rawness/exposure

EasternWest
25-11-2021, 09:51 PM

That'll do me.

josie
25-11-2021, 09:52 PM
He could be so good for us?

Why not? Gotta be optimistic this time of year.

Eastdog
25-11-2021, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Arthur! Knightmare summary sounds promising!

Hope for a great career at the Dogs!

GVGjr
25-11-2021, 09:53 PM
Shifters comments

Arthur Jones
Claremont, WAFL / Mt. Barker FC
State: Western Australia
Height: 179cm
Weight: 65g
Date of Birth: 18/07/03

Wingman who burst onto the scene with a standout performance in Western Australian's second match against South Australia having 16 disposals and kicking two goals to be among their best players in a hard-fought win in the AFL Grand Final curtain raiser at Optus Stadium. His speed and agility lit up the midfield after showing promise in 10 matches at Under 18s level averaging 12.6 disposals for Claremont who finished runners up this year. Part of the Krakouer clan, he really caught the eye with his competitive performance in the 2km test racing Corey Warner at the NAB AFL Draft Combine before recording a 6 minutes and 30 seconds to finish 2nd overall in Western Australia for endurance.

The Underdog
25-11-2021, 09:56 PM
Why not? Gotta be optimistic this time of year.

Sorry, was trying for a Minder reference, definitely showing my age.

josie
25-11-2021, 09:58 PM
Arthur is indigenous. Nice.

josie
25-11-2021, 09:59 PM

Bit slow on the uptake. Well played sir.

choconmientay
25-11-2021, 10:21 PM
here is him talking on a podcast leading up to the draft https://omny.fm/shows/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show/draft-special-part-two-arthur-jones

Arthur Jones joins the podcast to talk about his draft prospects, his famous family links, what happened with his West Coast Next Generation Academy invite, and what it would mean to him to make it into the big time.

WBFC4FFC
25-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Bit slow on the uptake. Well played sir.

"I say, Arthur".

From Mother and Son if anyone ever used to watch that on the ABC.

KT31
25-11-2021, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the Doggies Arthur, here’s hoping for an electrifying carrier with us.

The Adelaide Connection
25-11-2021, 11:33 PM
Listening to the podcast, he sounds like a really grounded, switched on kid.

Some interesting takeaways:
-He had at least three clubs in contact with him
-He gets compared to Bradley Hill
-He would have been in the West Coast NGA programme, but decided not to sign the contract- two other boys signed, but he didn't understand the contract so took it home. He and his mum couldn't make sense of it, so opened not to sign.
-Wesley College student- has been involved in Indigenous programmes, including designing an Indigenous tie as an awareness/fundraising idea (closing the gap initiative). He also designed their indigenous Guernsey with a few other boys.
-Is indeed related to the Krakouers
-Sounds like he has some leadership qualities- and is keen to play a leadership role.

A good listen, including a nice story at the end. The kid sounds like an absolute gem.

WA Draft Combine
2km TT:
C.Warner - 6.20 min
A. Jones - 6.30 min
M. Johnson - 6.39 min
B. Watson - 6.39 min

bornadog
25-11-2021, 11:45 PM
Welcome aboard Arthur, and best of luck in your career

bornadog
25-11-2021, 11:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1463808142454657025/9o-gj8eT?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
26-11-2021, 12:01 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFB8f05VEAk6HZ7?format=jpg&name=small

jeemak
26-11-2021, 12:24 AM
The rig on this kid once he's done a few preseasons will be completely out of control.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 01:22 AM
Arthur. The once and Future king!

The Lady of the Lake-- her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,
held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by
divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur

azabob
26-11-2021, 07:06 AM
The rig on this kid once he's done a few preseasons will be completely out of control.

Yep. I know highlights are just highlights but boy o boy he backs himself in and can kick a goal.

comrade
26-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Welcome, King.

azabob
26-11-2021, 08:31 AM
here is him talking on a podcast leading up to the draft https://omny.fm/shows/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show/draft-special-part-two-arthur-jones

thanks for posting. A good listen. The host does a really good job in bringing Arthur out of his shell.

I love this kid already.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-11-2021, 08:37 AM
Listening to the podcast, he sounds like a really grounded, switched on kid.

Some interesting takeaways:
-He had at least three clubs in contact with him
-He gets compared to Bradley Hill
-He would have been in the West Coast NGA programme, but decided not to sign the contract- two other boys signed, but he didn't understand the contract so took it home. He and his mum couldn't make sense of it, so opened not to sign.
-Wesley College student- has been involved in Indigenous programmes, including designing an Indigenous tie as an awareness/fundraising idea (closing the gap initiative). He also designed their indigenous Guernsey with a few other boys.
-Is indeed related to the Krakouers
-Sounds like he has some leadership qualities- and is keen to play a leadership role.

A good listen, including a nice story at the end. The kid sounds like an absolute gem.

WA Draft Combine
2km TT:
C.Warner - 6.20 min
A. Jones - 6.30 min
M. Johnson - 6.39 min
B. Watson - 6.39 min

Thanks TAC for summarising this.
Really gives an insight into the type of player and person aspects we like to bring together when determining who to draft. It really does seem that we place a high value on personal attributes.

I am really looking forward to seeing Arthur develop. He looks to have a lot to work with.

kruder
26-11-2021, 09:04 AM
Really liking this pic, love the athletic traits sounds like a great kid he seems to really love his footy.

azabob
26-11-2021, 09:17 AM
This just gets better and better.

Dodoro was just on RSN and Ramanaskas asked said at one stage during the coverage you threw down your green highlighter, does that mean a club took a player just prior to your pick? Dodo played a straight bat in his response.

After the interview Rama said that player was Arthur Jones!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-11-2021, 09:26 AM
I rarely read Facebook comments, but found this in reference to Arthur Jones. It speaks to his leadership traits.

"This kid is an absolute champion I will never forget the way he encouraged my son in basketball the years they played together
Well done Arthur ��"

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-11-2021, 09:28 AM

Dodoro was just on RSN and Ramanaskas asked said at one stage during the coverage you threw down your green highlighter, does that mean a club took a player just prior to your pick? Dodo played a straight bat in his response.

Well that just makes this draft period an A plus for me now! Petty much.. yep.. don't care.. If Dodoro is displeased I am a happy man.

Mofra
26-11-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm really really happy with this pick. Think we'll have to be patient as he's so light.
Anyone else get Harbrow vibes about his run & carry? Neat little sidestep. His kicking looks like Eddie Bett's field kicking.

EasternWest
26-11-2021, 10:11 AM
I'm really really happy with this pick. Think we'll have to be patient as he's so light.
Anyone else get Harbrow vibes about his run & carry? Neat little sidestep. His kicking looks like Eddie Bett's field kicking.

That sidestep and dropping the ball on the chest of the leading forward. Hoo boy.

merantau
26-11-2021, 10:46 AM

Ted Turton to Terry: "They all drive with one hand in America, you know"
Terry: "Wot they do wiv the ovver one then?
Ted: "They just look casual."

Bulldog4life
26-11-2021, 11:56 AM
"I say, Arthur".

From Mother and Son if anyone ever used to watch that on the ABC.

Loved it.

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Who would have thought we would have another Arthur on the list? Our last Arthur did OK - Arthur Edwards was a premiership player who retired 61 years ago in 1960.

Mofra
26-11-2021, 03:20 PM
How good is the video him getting his name called out!
Pure excitement.

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1464067345773514758?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1464067345773514758%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Scraggers
26-11-2021, 04:40 PM
I rarely read Facebook comments, but found this in reference to Arthur Jones. It speaks to his leadership traits.

"This kid is an absolute champion I will never forget the way he encouraged my son in basketball the years they played together
Well done Arthur ��"

This was posted on Tim Gossage's FB page back in October ...

Great to read this young man could be a draft bolter after being invited to the Perth leg of the AFL combine.
Arthur Jones showed me several months ago that regardless of his footy skills (he has plenty) that he is a quality young man and would be a wonderful asset to any senior club.
There was a minor incident several months ago (teenage boy banter, cheeky one liners, quips but for the best part unnecessary) at a footy game prior to his game on a Saturday morning.
Arthur Jones was warming up with the senior team and was in the group when the aforementioned took place.
A few laughs, jibes in my direction as I stood in as a goal umpire (coincidentally for their club/team) and whilst I wasn’t threatened or fearful it was not disappointing.
Once the moment had passed, a young man came away from his warm up group and what appeared to be completely off his own bat and offered an apology for the incident several minutes before.
In a paraphrased way he said “on behalf of ….. I want to apologise for what just happened. It is not what we are about and it is not acceptable. I am sorry.”
He offered me a cool fist bump and we all moved on.
I contacted his team a few days later to inform them of his actions (unsure of who he was).
I only wish him good things not just as an AFL prospect but a young man in life.
I reiterate the incident wasn’t huge or deeply upsetting but for a teenage young man to come forward without prompt and not caring for the reaction of his teammates and peers was an incredible gesture.
Somehow I hope AFL clubs will or do read the above and if it makes a 1% difference in their selection process then I will be thrilled for Arthur Jones.
Ps: he played a blinder that day.

It was following on from an article in the West Australian about the possible WA draft prospects. (Tim Gossage used to be the WA Channel Ten Sports journalist until recent budget cuts)

The Doctor
26-11-2021, 04:45 PM
I can't wait to see Arthur Jones light up the AFL. I already can't wait to see him play.

Go well young man.

SquirrelGrip
26-11-2021, 04:54 PM
I'm more excited about Arthur than I am about Sam Darcy.

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 04:57 PM
It's always good to read a thread before you post in it. :D

josie
26-11-2021, 04:58 PM
From being a bit ho hum about this draft - like the kid who has sneaked open their Xmas present knowing Darcy was ours, I’m now quite excited. We have an excitement machine Jones, 3 backmen close to or above 190cm in Cleary, Parker/Yardbird and Raak and a nuggety midfielder in McComb. Also McComb and Parker are a decent size too. Possibly Cleary too & he like McComb and Parker is a mature ager. And another high quality KPP in Darcy.

Am sure looking forward to VFL resuming normal transmission next year.

Scraggers
26-11-2021, 05:02 PM
The below is from Facebook, and supposedly written by a WAFL Goal Umpire -

Great to read this young man could be a draft bolter after being invited to the Perth leg of the AFL combine.

Arthur Jones showed me several months ago that regardless of his footy skills (he has plenty) that he is a quality young man and would be a wonderful asset to any senior club.

There was a minor incident several months ago (teenage boy banter, cheeky one liners, quips but for the best part unnecessary) at a footy game prior to his game on a Saturday morning.

Arthur Jones was warming up with the senior team and was in the group when the aforementioned took place.

A few laughs, jibes in my direction as I stood in as a goal umpire (coincidentally for their club/team) and whilst I wasn’t threatened or fearful it was not disappointing.

Once the moment had passed, a young man came away from his warm up group and what appeared to be completely off his own bat and offered an apology for the incident several minutes before.

In a paraphrased way he said “on behalf of ….. I want to apologise for what just happened. It is not what we are about and it is not acceptable. I am sorry.”

He offered me a cool fist bump and we all moved on.

I contacted his team a few days later to inform them of his actions (unsure of who he was).

I only wish him good things not just as an AFL prospect but a young man in life.

I reiterate the incident wasn’t huge or deeply upsetting but for a teenage young man to come forward without prompt and not caring for the reaction of his teammates and peers was an incredible gesture.

Somehow I hope AFL clubs will or do read the above and if it makes a 1% difference in their selection process then I will be thrilled for Arthur Jones.

Ps: he played a blinder that day.

Not a WAFL umpire ... a WA journo. Check my post two before yours :)

EasternWest
26-11-2021, 05:26 PM
It's always good to read a thread before you post in it. :D

I suppose you want me to read more than the headline on news articles too don't you?

Gestapo.

azabob
26-11-2021, 06:28 PM

If truth be told The Adelaide Connection posted it before you did as it was raised in the podcast link.

GVGjr
26-11-2021, 07:28 PM
I can't wait to see Arthur Jones light up the AFL. I already can't wait to see him play.

Go well young man.

He's certainly a Doc type player isn't he ;)
I agree Doc, we just need to be a bit patient but he it all clicks for him he could be a very special player for us.

comrade
26-11-2021, 07:49 PM
His reaction video is top shelf. Unbridled joy.

KT31
26-11-2021, 09:54 PM

Deleted now, was posting and got called away from my desk for a bit.
If I had of refreshed would have seen your post Scraggers.:)

mjp
26-11-2021, 10:36 PM
I don't really have much to add. Tall (ish) skinny winger from Claremont. He runs (a lot).

Mt Barker is a few hours south of Perth - small town, dairy farming primarily. I saw a couple of reports he was from the Kimberley but that's simply not correct. I have commented he reminds me a bit of Josh Hill in that he is that rangey sort of build - good side-step, nice skills, always seems to have a bit of time. He's miles off it at the moment but is clearly talented...

Sort of player our club hasn't taken a chance on for a long time.

I have read people saying small-forward? I haven't seen that - he's more an outside runner (and though I hate these sort of comparisons where you liken one indigenous player to another) will remind you more of Michael Long/Lewis Jetta than Cyril Rioli (if that makes sense).

He's a nice player. Was in opposition to us a couple of times this year and to be truthful didn't cause a lot of headaches but had obvious talent...Claremont had Sheldrick, Mumme, Van Rooyen and a few others cutting things apart and Jones was on the outside of the action I guess...

Anyway - a good pick I think and certainly something 'DIFFERENT'. I'm glad we're looking outside of the norm for these sort of picks and not just picking small inside mids from Vic Metro to fill out the list.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 11:24 PM
I don't really have much to add. Tall (ish) skinny winger from Claremont. He runs (a lot).

Mt Barker is a few hours south of Perth - small town, dairy farming primarily. I saw a couple of reports he was from the Kimberley but that's simply not correct. I have commented he reminds me a bit of Josh Hill in that he is that rangey sort of build - good side-step, nice skills, always seems to have a bit of time. He's miles off it at the moment but is clearly talented...

Sort of player our club hasn't taken a chance on for a long time.

I have read people saying small-forward? I haven't seen that - he's more an outside runner (and though I hate these sort of comparisons where you liken one indigenous player to another) will remind you more of Michael Long/Lewis Jetta than Cyril Rioli (if that makes sense).

He's a nice player. Was in opposition to us a couple of times this year and to be truthful didn't cause a lot of headaches but had obvious talent...Claremont had Sheldrick, Mumme, Van Rooyen and a few others cutting things apart and Jones was on the outside of the action I guess...

Anyway - a good pick I think and certainly something 'DIFFERENT'. I'm glad we're looking outside of the norm for these sort of picks and not just picking small inside mids from Vic Metro to fill out the list.

In the highlights the way he moves and swoops and kicks the ball all in one movement reminds me of Phil Krakouer. A lot. I know he's a nephew of them but I'd say it even if there was no family connection.

The Adelaide Connection
27-11-2021, 04:29 AM

This is just the best thing ever.

Dry Rot
27-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Imagine Jones' video if another club had drafted him.

Open on same lounge room scene and people.

Audio "GWS Giants draft Arthur Jones"

Stunned silence.

Jones looks down at his shoes before each person slowly stands, walks over to Jones and pats him on the shoulder saying "Sorry mate".

Twodogs
27-11-2021, 01:03 PM
Imagine Jones' video if another club had drafted him.

Open on same lounge room scene and people.

Audio "GWS Giants draft Arthur Jones"

Stunned silence.

Jones looks down at his shoes before each person slowly stands, walks over to Jones and pats him on the shoulder saying "Sorry mate".

Heh!

I think I'll take up basketball

The bulldog tragician
27-11-2021, 07:42 PM
How good is the video him getting his name called out!
Pure excitement.

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1464067345773514758?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1464067345773514758%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I’m rarely all that interested in the draft I’m afraid, but that video made me laugh AND cry. The innocence of youth, hey, with absolutely everything still possible…

PS I know it’s not, but I could have sworn our own Ed Richards was one of those leaping around with joy.

GVGjr
28-11-2021, 11:35 AM
I’m rarely all that interested in the draft I’m afraid, but that video made me laugh AND cry. The innocence of youth, hey, with absolutely everything still possible…

PS I know it’s not, but I could have sworn our own Ed Richards was one of those leaping around with joy.

It's good to watch that level of enthusiasm from someone landing their dream job.

bornadog
15-01-2022, 02:51 PM
Good interview here: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1046905/arthur-jones-finally-being-here-is-just-amazing?videoId=1046905&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1642195560001

josie
15-01-2022, 03:30 PM
Such a genuine, well spoken lad. Onya Arthur. Soooo looking forward to yelling out “Go Arfer” when he debuts.

Testekill
15-01-2022, 11:50 PM
Arthur seems like a very good kid with a good head on his shoulders.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Seems like a really likeable and infectious young lad - looking forward to seeing him play.

The bulldog tragician
18-01-2022, 08:11 PM
That is just too gorgeous!!

MrMahatma
19-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Oh man, that was the coolest interview when talking about Bont! :D

jeemak
19-01-2022, 03:35 PM
What an awesome interview.

Twodogs
19-01-2022, 11:21 PM
Seems like a really likeable and infectious young lad - looking forward to seeing him play.

Maybe not the best thing to be ATM.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2022, 02:45 PM
Maybe not the best thing to be ATM.

Positively infectious?

Wait, no, doesn't work either....

GVGjr
20-01-2022, 03:16 PM
AJ was on RSN I think today.

I'll check it when I get home.

bornadog
20-01-2022, 03:25 PM
AJ was on RSN I think today.

I'll check it when I get home.

here you go:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/948829

Mantis
20-01-2022, 05:16 PM
here you go:

He's a ripper.. love his attitude.

Can't wait to see him in action.

GVGjr
20-01-2022, 05:19 PM
He's a ripper.. love his attitude.

Can't wait to see him in action.

It's great to see someone so passionate about their experience at the club.

Smads57
20-01-2022, 05:41 PM
Can't wait to see him pull on the RWB for Footscray in the first instance - a bit like Marra in 2021.

merantau
25-01-2022, 07:42 PM
I am really looking forward to see Arthur out on the park. There is no substitute for PACE. And it seems Arthur has plenty of it.

Eastdog
25-01-2022, 08:31 PM
here you go:

Good interview. Looking forward to seeing Arthur play when he gets his opportunity as well as our other draftees.

bornadog
04-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Bit of a Character Arty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdktBCC86c&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

azabob
04-05-2022, 06:26 PM
From the outside looking in it appears like Jones has settled into the club really well and is well liked by everyone at the club. I can’t wait to see him debut at some stage this year.

azabob
30-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Jones is clearly having a positive impact on the group.

Great to see Dunkley and Treloar sharing the love with Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc61FgH4LZA

hujsh
30-05-2022, 03:03 PM

I have to say I've seen a few vids and aside from a few moments (sorry Dunks) it's been much less cringy than I expected. Adam in particular really comes across as kind and genuine and it's made me like Dunkley more again by association almost.

bornadog
30-05-2022, 03:04 PM

Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting Aza

Happy Days
30-05-2022, 03:40 PM
I have to say I've seen a few vids and aside from a few moments (sorry Dunks) it's been much less cringy than I expected. Adam in particular really comes across as kind and genuine and it's made me like Dunkley more again by association almost.

Yeah it’s somehow actually really good content, genuinely insightful into a footballer’s day to day life. Can’t really believe it to be honest.

comrade
30-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Well it doesn’t get much more wholesome than that. Arty seems like an absolute ripper.

azabob
30-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Re-reading this thread with all the feel good stories pre draft are starting to be played out at our club.

bornadog
30-05-2022, 08:55 PM
Re-reading this thread with all the feel good stories pre draft are starting to be played out at our club.

Feeling for me is Dunks stays, due to relationship with Adz

The Underdog
30-05-2022, 09:38 PM
Feeling for me is Dunks stays, due to relationship with Adz

Apparently Dyson Heppell is a top bloke and has a vacancy for a BFF, so it’s no certainty Dunks stays.

Grantysghost
30-05-2022, 09:53 PM
Apparently Dyson Heppell is a top bloke and has a vacancy for a BFF, so it’s no certainty Dunks stays.

Adam might feel love's cruel sting shortly, as did our Marcus.
We've got Westy now we don't need Josh.

1eyedog
31-05-2022, 12:48 AM
Dunks' ego wants to play in front of big crowds and he wants more money. If he can get the captaincy inside 2-3 years it's a no brainer.

Bulldog4life
31-05-2022, 09:02 AM
Confident Dunks will stay. Put it down to wisdom.

Grantysghost
31-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Confident Dunks will stay. Put it down to wisdom.

Or.. They're building up that non club dependant youtube channel so the can stoke the flames of eternal bromance when at the end of act 2 Dunks is taken by the evil red and black antagonists. (little does ads know he orchestrated it).
La tragédie!

westbulldog
31-05-2022, 10:55 AM
Adam might feel love's cruel sting shortly, as did our Marcus.
We've got Westy now we don't need Josh.

Imo Dunkley is currently light years ahead of West.

Grantysghost
31-05-2022, 11:34 AM
Imo Dunkley is currently light years ahead of West.

Definitely WB - it was tongue in cheek :)

Very happy with Westy at the moment, but yes he's no Dunks. Yet.

bornadog
31-05-2022, 12:02 PM
Definitely WB - it was tongue in cheek :)

Very happy with Westy at the moment, but yes he's no Dunks. Yet.

Dunks is a mile ahead of Westy.

Westy still hasn't proven to me he is best 22.

Dunkley is a beast at 191cm, avg 26 disposals per game, the 3rd highest tackler in the AFL.

comrade
31-05-2022, 12:39 PM
The other thing we need to look at is our developing talls, and when they’re going to be peaking. It’s likely Naughts, Marra, Darcy and English are all hitting the gas together in 3 years. By that time, Libba will be well gone, Macrae and Adz will be on their last legs and Bont’s time at the top will be nearing the end.

We need to make sure we have a quality midfield to maximise what will likely be the best group of key position types our club has ever had at one time. Of our current crop, Bazlenka is a lock, Williams on a wing is looking promising but still to be determined if he’s elite in that role and Dunkley will be in his absolute physical prime. If we do lose Dunkley, we have few great prospects coming through so we’d need to use whatever assets we get to at least find his replacement (and hopefully another likely prospect).

WBFC4FFC
31-05-2022, 05:17 PM
The other thing we need to look at is our developing talls, and when they’re going to be peaking. It’s likely Naughts, Marra, Darcy and English are all hitting the gas together in 3 years. By that time, Libba will be well gone, Macrae and Adz will be on their last legs and Bont’s time at the top will be nearing the end.

We need to make sure we have a quality midfield to maximise what will likely be the best group of key position types our club has ever had at one time. Of our current crop, Bazlenka is a lock, Williams on a wing is looking promising but still to be determined if he’s elite in that role and Dunkley will be in his absolute physical prime. If we do lose Dunkley, we have few great prospects coming through so we’d need to use whatever assets we get to at least find his replacement (and hopefully another likely prospect).

Yeah, I worry about this too. Having said that, decent talls make it easier for the Mids.

West is a lock to replace Libba in the midfield. Hopefully McNeil develops for the mid too.

We have another three drafts to focus on getting 1st round midfielders. The club ALWAYS wants a 1st round pick in every draft. Thus they have to make these picks count.

bornadog
27-06-2022, 05:15 PM
The pick we got for Lippa

https://youtu.be/bCoaLNL7Mc4?t=3

azabob
27-06-2022, 06:09 PM
The pick we got for Lippa

Does seeing these type of highlights change your mind on him?

GVGjr
27-06-2022, 06:17 PM

There have been a number of doubters on Jones so far this year and yet it always likely to be a development year for him.
Lets be patient with him.

azabob
27-06-2022, 06:19 PM
There have been a number of doubters on Jones so far this year and yet it always likely to be a development year for him.

No need to convince me.

Twodogs
27-06-2022, 06:26 PM
No need to convince me.

Me either. If we concentrate on the things he can do and teach him to improve on his weaknesses (as recruiting 101 says we should) it's plain that Arthur can do things that nobody else on our list can do.

Grantysghost
27-06-2022, 06:28 PM

How can you doubt him? Looks like a player.

GVGjr
27-06-2022, 06:29 PM
No need to convince me.

No your on board but he does seem to have a few question marks raised about his ability than most others.

bornadog
27-06-2022, 06:31 PM

Time will tell. I guess we have to be patient.

Grantysghost
27-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Time will tell. I guess we have to be patient.
Time machine to 2025.

https://youtu.be/8vvzKpmzT-I

He's number 32 too.

The Doctor
06-03-2023, 05:34 AM
Arty Jones is building a strong case for round 1 selection.

His improvement has been terrific. Kicking goals, crumbing, applying forward pressure, it's great to see.

Noticed him getting front and square to the big boys a number of times v Norf.

josie
06-03-2023, 10:38 AM
I was a doubter, and agree he is a big chance for round 1 debut. Go Arthur. Imagine three or four or five excitement machines in F50; Weightman. Naughts, Arthur, Marra and Darcy. We’re in for a fun ride folks, strap in.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2023, 10:58 AM
Arty Jones is building a strong case for round 1 selection.

His improvement has been terrific. Kicking goals, crumbing, applying forward pressure, it's great to see.

Noticed him getting front and square to the big boys a number of times v Norf.

Agreed.

If JJ isn't right, he plays for mine.

Mofra
06-03-2023, 11:05 AM
We seem set to play one entirely 'pressure' player in our forwardline. With VDM and JJ out, Arty must be a serious chance

Dazza
06-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Didn't look out of place in the practice match. Hopefully he has a breakout year. He's exactly the type of player we need

hujsh
06-03-2023, 11:24 AM
Interesting that he did well in the small forward role given it sounds like his good performances pre season have been more in the running wing/defender roles. Maybe he's just improved enough in general that he's a decent option in most outside roles now and we all know that versatility is a desirable quality in Bevo's system.

SonofScray
06-03-2023, 11:39 AM
I think his skill set, energy and nose for goal fit really comfortably in this four headed monster style forward line.

bornadog
29-03-2023, 03:22 PM
Arty talks about his debut

Watch from Website here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1294046/arthur-jones-it-s-a-bit-hard-to-put-into-words-?videoId=1294046&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1679980515001)

hujsh
29-03-2023, 04:30 PM
Can't even get the audio right SMH

bornadog
29-03-2023, 04:33 PM
Can't even get the audio right SMH

sorry mate, that is my recording and could be the way I recorded it.

I have deleted and linked to Club website

HOSE B ROMERO
29-03-2023, 07:13 PM
Arty shares his birthday with Brad Johnson. Now that's an omen!

Eastdog
29-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Good luck Arty. Hoping he has a great career with us. We need some spark.

Dry Rot
30-03-2023, 12:50 AM
So where do we play him? Presumably up forward?

bornadog
31-03-2023, 11:15 AM
https://youtu.be/IrnmRH909sg

hujsh
31-03-2023, 11:25 AM
What a lad, he could easy have a media career post footy if he wants (though channel 7 would probably Flanderise him like everyone else)

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2023, 11:28 AM
He's a great personality and character to have around the club.

Loved his energy, thought he actually handled the moments really well - particularly early last night. Looked really clean and assured, quick, and had showed his skill.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 11:37 AM
Arty still running laps and enjoying the night

https://youtu.be/IXG4j857KmY

angelopetraglia
31-03-2023, 11:44 AM
Just loved watching him go about his business last night on and off the field. Praying he can have a long career with us.

Sedat
31-03-2023, 11:55 AM
What a lad, he could easy have a media career post footy if he wants (though channel 7 would probably Flanderise him like everyone else)
Everything they touch turns to shite so let's hope Arty aligns with Foxtel in his future media engagements.

He was just interviewed on SEN by Sam Edmond - terrific chat and such a likeable lad. His positivity is infectious.

Grantysghost
19-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Has re-signed until end 2025.

SonofScray
19-04-2023, 12:15 PM
Has it in him to be a very good player for us.

Keeps his feet, good lateral movement, good forward instincts and if my eye was working objectively, seems assured with the ball. He just needs to develop his body, find the footy enough and start to hit the scoreboard.

Grantysghost
19-04-2023, 12:22 PM
Has it in him to be a very good player for us.

Keeps his feet, good lateral movement, good forward instincts and if my eye was working objectively, seems assured with the ball. He just needs to develop his body, find the footy enough and start to hit the scoreboard.

So reminds me of Lewis Jetta the way he moves. Lopey gait, so balanced you can just see when he gets some more confidence at the level he is going to be very hard to tackle.

Grantysghost
01-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Arthur Jones going through first goal :

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrpJ2GPo4yY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:27 PM
Arthur Jones going through first goal :

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrpJ2GPo4yY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I thought he had a pretty good game. If you watch the replay, he was certainly involved in many passages of play.

hujsh
01-05-2023, 06:53 PM
One thing he does better than I'd expect is the fend off. Wouldn't think he had the strength but between that and his evasive maneuvers he's got some tools to work with wherever he ends up playing (forward, mid or back)

Dazza
01-05-2023, 07:18 PM
I'm enjoying watching him go about it. Certainly worth persevering with

Stevo
01-05-2023, 08:18 PM
I'm enjoying watching him go about it. Certainly worth persevering with

There was a spot in the 3rd quarter where all the players were lining up on the goal like and it was little Arty pestering Reeves. He promptly got pushed away but loved his intent. I wish Bruce was playing up forward, there is no way he lets Arty get pushed around :)

1eyedog
01-05-2023, 09:01 PM
He's really not doing anywhere near enough to stay in the team but he has a big smile, I'm sure fans love him so he may be selling memberships and he has a good vibe around him. That's plenty better than Hannan, McNeil and McComb at the moment.

jazzadogs
01-05-2023, 11:23 PM
I heard from an AFL player who was manned up on Arty recently that he is an absolute pest. They said he did not shut up all game, and any opponent who got close to him he would tug on their jumper or shorts, tickle their arm, blow on their face - just a happy hyperactive pest.

Keep it up Arty.

azabob
02-05-2023, 09:21 AM
He's really not doing anywhere near enough to stay in the team but he has a big smile, I'm sure fans love him so he may be selling memberships and he has a good vibe around him. That's plenty better than Hannan, McNeil and McComb at the moment.

What else does he need to do? If he kicks one goal a game I think that is decent output.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2023, 10:31 AM
What else does he need to do? If he kicks one goal a game I think that is decent output.

Did a lot more than Weightman on Saturday. The small forward role in our forward line would be a tough one to play. I think he's doing an admirable job and hope he keeps improving as he gets more experience. We desperately need his pace up forward.

Might be a coincidence but we're 4-1 with him in the side.

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 12:24 AM
From the Tackle. Mark Robinson.

Arty Jones

Good bloodlines? Well, he’s Krakouer related and calls Jimmy and Phil “Pops’’, so the bloodlines run deep. So does the talent. He’s 19 and played seven games and his trajectory already is significant. And he is exactly what the Bulldogs have been searching for: a smart, high speed and high-pressure small forward. Ahead of the 2019 national draft, The Bulldogs had Kozzie Pickett on the drafting board, but the Demons took him three picks before the Dogs had their first pick. The Dogs settled on Cody Weightman, another small forward, but he was more a Jamie Elliott-type, a marking threat. Jones is a swooper. His final 12 minutes against the Blues on Saturday night won the game. With momentum against them, the Dogs kicked 4.2 and Jones was involved in four of those scores, which included a goal, a gather then curler on his right foot from the right-hand pocket. It was 12 minutes of Arty Jones mayhem. He had five touches and 41 SuperCoach points. In comparison, Carlton’s highest ranked player in that period was Adam Saad with 11. Soon enough, TV commentators will call him the X-factor and a cult figure, as happens with most Indigenous players with blinding speed, but he’s much more than a stereotype. He’s a 71kg kid in his seventh game who ripped the momentum from the opposition and turned the result. That’s rare. Not even Kozzie, Charlie Cameron or Tom Papley were able to do that so early in their careers.

1eyedog
15-05-2023, 12:40 AM

Exactly

D Mitchell
15-05-2023, 12:49 AM
Well done, young Arthur. Keep doing what you do. Look after the pennies, the pounds look after themselves.

D Mitchell
15-05-2023, 12:56 AM
From the Tackle. Mark Robinson.

Arty Jones

Good bloodlines? Well, he’s Krakouer related and calls Jimmy and Phil “Pops’’, so the bloodlines run deep. So does the talent. He’s 19 and played seven games and his trajectory already is significant. And he is exactly what the Bulldogs have been searching for: a smart, high speed and high-pressure small forward. Ahead of the 2019 national draft, The Bulldogs had Kozzie Pickett on the drafting board, but the Demons took him three picks before the Dogs had their first pick. The Dogs settled on Cody Weightman, another small forward, but he was more a Jamie Elliott-type, a marking threat. Jones is a swooper. His final 12 minutes against the Blues on Saturday night won the game. With momentum against them, the Dogs kicked 4.2 and Jones was involved in four of those scores, which included a goal, a gather then curler on his right foot from the right-hand pocket. It was 12 minutes of Arty Jones mayhem. He had five touches and 41 SuperCoach points. In comparison, Carlton’s highest ranked player in that period was Adam Saad with 11. Soon enough, TV commentators will call him the X-factor and a cult figure, as happens with most Indigenous players with blinding speed, but he’s much more than a stereotype. He’s a 71kg kid in his seventh game who ripped the momentum from the opposition and turned the result. That’s rare. Not even Kozzie, Charlie Cameron or Tom Papley were able to do that so early in their careers.

The lad's done well, just how good he can be is exciting. You don't have to be a monster to apply pressure. I hope the Club doesn't insist that he become a monster and load him up in the Gym. Does anyone else remember the mismanagement of Dallas Patterson ?

1eyedog
15-05-2023, 01:14 AM
10 years in the gym wouldn't make much of an impact on Arty's frame.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-05-2023, 09:50 AM
Did a lot more than Weightman on Saturday. The small forward role in our forward line would be a tough one to play. I think he's doing an admirable job and hope he keeps improving as he gets more experience. We desperately need his pace up forward.

Might be a coincidence but we're 4-1 with him in the side.

Make that 6-1.

I'm absolutely loving watching him play and what he brings to our side. Keep it up Arty.

Hotdog60
07-09-2023, 06:19 PM
Do you think we should start trying to play Arty of the back line sort of like a JJ role. Does he have the tank to be a running back?
I ask because he seemed lost in the forward line and he has good evasive skills.

I just hit 5000 posts go me. :)

SquirrelGrip
07-09-2023, 06:33 PM
Arty definitely has the tank. For me his our long term wing option who can run all day. He was pigeon-holed into the defensive small forward by necessity.

With the right pre-season, he could be a wing solution.

kruder
07-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Do you think we should start trying to play Arty of the back line sort of like a JJ role. Does he have the tank to be a running back?
I ask because he seemed lost in the forward line and he has good evasive skills.

I just hit 5000 posts go me. :)

Lit it up for a quarter in the VFL when sent to half back after not getting any touches for a month.

Bigdog
07-09-2023, 07:58 PM
Heard arty isn’t playing vfl as he is getting surgery? Anyone know what his carrying?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2023, 08:01 PM
It's a good suggestion. I'd like to see him further up the ground too, whether that's wing or half back I'm not sure but I'd lean towards the latter as it's an easier position to play.

bornadog
07-09-2023, 09:07 PM
It's a good suggestion. I'd like to see him further up the ground too, whether that's wing or half back I'm not sure but I'd lean towards the latter as it's an easier position to play.

MJP says he was a winger based on his junior years.

meenies
08-09-2023, 02:49 PM
Heard arty isn’t playing vfl as he is getting surgery? Anyone know what his carrying?
I thought it was a shoulder

lemmon
30-04-2024, 12:56 PM
Weightman and West being out this week really shines a spotlight on Arty's development in a not particularly favourable light.

He might be better suited to a wing or high half-forward spot, but we've invested fairly significantly in him as a small forward and at the moment it's not paying dividends. He showed signs in the senior side last year but his VFL form was really poor and that's seemingly continued this season. You'd hope that a young player would elevate their game after getting a taste of AFL, but it seems like he's regressed.

As a third-year small forward, with spots opening up, this is the kind of opportunity Arty should be ready for but it feels like the form just isn't there.

He's probably the guy we all want to 'make it' because he seems to be such a loveable, genuine character, but his footy isn't there at the moment.

Would you play him this week?

bulldogtragic
30-04-2024, 01:01 PM
Weightman and West being out this week really shines a spotlight on Arty's development in a not particularly favourable light.

He might be better suited to a wing or high half-forward spot, but we've invested fairly significantly in him as a small forward and at the moment it's not paying dividends. He showed signs in the senior side last year but his VFL form was really poor and that's seemingly continued this season. You'd hope that a young player would elevate their game after getting a taste of AFL, but it seems like he's regressed.

As a third-year small forward, with spots opening up, this is the kind of opportunity Arty should be ready for but it feels like the form just isn't there.

He's probably the guy we all want to 'make it' because he seems to be such a loveable, genuine character, but his footy isn't there at the moment.

No. I’d move him up the ground and invest in Clarke now.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2024, 01:03 PM

Well it hasn't stopped us playing others in the past (McNeil).

I'm probably more concerned with where he should play rather than his form in the VFL - strikes me as a type that will never blitz VFL because he doesn't really have a contested game. The grounds are smaller, the skills are worse, there's less space ... all things that work against his natural game to shine.

Given our needs, I'd start playing him as a wing.

lemmon
30-04-2024, 01:26 PM
Well it hasn't stopped us playing others in the past (McNeil).

I'm probably more concerned with where he should play rather than his form in the VFL - strikes me as a type that will never blitz VFL because he doesn't really have a contested game. The grounds are smaller, the skills are worse, there's less space ... all things that work against his natural game to shine.

Given our needs, I'd start playing him as a wing.

I'm going to preface the below by saying I don't think McNeil is the answer or an AFL standard player

BUT...he was also our best-performing small forward during pre-season and looked like he'd actually turned the corner in that role against the Hawks in Launnie. He was dumped after a shocker (when 15 of his teammates could have got the same treatment), but we did see some signs that he could play the position.

We're yelling out for Arty to show something similar this year.

GVGjr
30-04-2024, 01:44 PM
Arty is such an energy boost around the club.
There was a youngster at training today kitted out in his Aaron Naughton jumper and Arty was kicking the footy too him and having a good old chat.
I really hope he starts to make the most of his chances

Countrydog5
30-04-2024, 02:01 PM
I actually think Arty is really suffering from his debilitating shoulder injuries which hasn't allowed him to strengthen that upper body that small forwards need to stick tackles. I feel that if his body was able to mature and strengthen, we could really focus on him being that pressure forward with 5-6 tackles and 10 touches a game. We're trialling him as a HF / wing in the VFL to try and get the footy in his hands more, but I think he'd be best suited at that small crumbing / pressure role long term.

It's just yet to be seen if he can actually put that size on or not. I'm of the belief we'll probably let him go end of year, but I could easily see him being picked back up in 2 or 3 years time and be great for whoever does. The question is just whether we want to keep him around and try to put that development into him ourselves. He's always looked better at AFL level anyway.

Axe Man
30-04-2024, 02:05 PM
I actually think Arty is really suffering from his debilitating shoulder injuries which hasn't allowed him to strengthen that upper body that small forwards need to stick tackles. I feel that if his body was able to mature and strengthen, we could really focus on him being that pressure forward with 5-6 tackles and 10 touches a game. We're trialling him as a HF / wing in the VFL to try and get the footy in his hands more, but I think he'd be best suited at that small crumbing / pressure role long term.

It's just yet to be seen if he can actually put that size on or not. I'm of the belief we'll probably let him go end of year, but I could easily see him being picked back up in 2 or 3 years time and be great for whoever does. The question is just whether we want to keep him around and try to put that development into him ourselves. He's always looked better at AFL level anyway.

He's safe for next season as he's contracted until the end of 2025. Don't ask me how I know.

Smads57
30-04-2024, 06:40 PM
Just a thought around Artie's VFL form in 2024 - he is playing in a team with Croft as the only tall generally then followed by Bedendo.

I wonder how much better he would be crumbing to Naughton, Darcy, JUH?

bornadog
30-04-2024, 06:48 PM
Just a thought around Artie's VFL form in 2024 - he is playing in a team with Croft as the only tall generally then followed by Bedendo.

I wonder how much better he would be crumbing to Naughton, Darcy, JUH?

What position has he been playing in the VFL?

Go_Dogs
30-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Pre-season interruptions haven’t helped his cause.

Hope he gets a game soon. He’s definitely the type of player who’ll “do better” in an AFL side, but whether he’ll “do enough” remains to be seen. He probably can’t do any less than some others who’ve had opportunities.

Still digging
30-04-2024, 07:25 PM
I'm biased because I love what he brings, speed, tricks and that indefinable X factor. Clarke deserves to be rewarded for his form in the VFL with an AFL game but two small pressure forwards going out might make room for both Arty and Charlie.

azabob
30-04-2024, 08:27 PM
I'm biased because I love what he brings, speed, tricks and that indefinable X factor. Clarke deserves to be rewarded for his form in the VFL with an AFL game but two small pressure forwards going out might make room for both Arty and Charlie.

Would you play both this week?

Smads57
01-05-2024, 12:16 PM
What position has he been playing in the VFL?
Half fwd and sometimes wing. I’m sure I seen him in a couple of centre bounces vs Academy, but think this was just experimental.

Mofra
01-05-2024, 02:05 PM
TBH he's more VDM than West/Flea right now. Covers a fair bit of ground and does a lot of selfless stuff.

bornadog
01-05-2024, 03:24 PM
Half fwd and sometimes wing. I’m sure I seen him in a couple of centre bounces vs Academy, but think this was just experimental.
Therefore he should be playing that role if he gets promoted

ledge
01-05-2024, 04:52 PM
Losing West and Weightman he should be a chance along with Clarke.

Bullies
02-05-2024, 09:36 PM
Would you play both this week? Why not play both. They have speed to burn and both have a good football nous. Both would be better at AFL than VFL. They would be hard to match up on.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 11:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyLJK8_nXuc&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs