View Full Version : Welcome to the Westernbulldogs - Robbie McComb

bornadog
26-11-2021, 04:29 PM
VFL to AFL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFF7E7kVEAABluZ?format=jpg&name=large

Mofra
26-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Nugget!

Didn't realise he played as a defender in the WAFL. Wonder if he spends time back over summer

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-11-2021, 04:32 PM
What position is McComb suited to?

Testekill
26-11-2021, 04:33 PM
What position is McComb suited to?

While he's best as a midfielder he rotated through the forward line a lot as well so I could see him playing forward minutes and then pinch hitting in the middle.

josie
26-11-2021, 04:37 PM
Congrats Rory. Good news story. Hope you push for senior selection. I like his tenacity and tackling at VFL level, let’s hope it translates well to AFL.

Testekill
26-11-2021, 04:42 PM
Robbie also won our VFL B&F and a VFL trainers award so clearly the club loves him as a leader.

The Doctor
26-11-2021, 04:47 PM
Whatever they are doing down at Footscray keep it going.

I thought he looked a long way off a year or so back but hasn't he kicked on superbly.

Good luck Robbie.

Eastdog
26-11-2021, 04:56 PM
Good luck Robbie. Hope he seizes the opportunity.

comrade
26-11-2021, 05:32 PM
He was awesome for Footscray in the limited opportunities he got. An absolute bull.

azabob
26-11-2021, 06:25 PM
He was awesome for Footscray in the limited opportunities he got. An absolute bull.

Does he have the ability to lockdown on opposition mids? That is probably his best bet of getting a game

comrade
26-11-2021, 06:31 PM
Does he have the ability to lockdown on opposition mids? That is probably his best bet of getting a game

He was one of our main production guys in the middle so didn’t really tag but he seems the type to just do any job asked of him.

GVGjr
26-11-2021, 07:33 PM
Really happy that we have been able to provide another opportunity for one of our Footscray listed boys. McComb's form deserved a chance with us.

The development coaches will have plenty of work to do.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 08:50 PM
Coming originally from WA with a surname like McComb his nickname has to be Triffid (after WA band Triffids member David McComb) doesn't it.

I loved the Triffids

mjp
26-11-2021, 10:02 PM
Coming originally from WA with a surname like McComb his nickname has to be Triffid (after WA band Triffids member David McComb) doesn't it.

I loved the Triffids

Well, the drums rolled off in my forehead
And the guns went off in my chest

mjp
26-11-2021, 10:03 PM
Just FYI my solo acoustic version of that song is SOOO much better than the original.

But please don't ask anyone in my family for validation of that fact!

azabob
26-11-2021, 10:13 PM

I loved the Triffids

David’s brother Robert also played in the Triffids.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-11-2021, 10:58 PM
If you get a chance, play it for Robbie.

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 11:13 PM
Well, the drums rolled off in my forehead
And the guns went off in my chest

Remember carrying the baby just for you
Crying in the wilderness

Just in case the kiddies are wondering what we are going on about. One of the great Australian tunes;

https://youtu.be/7N5akOOlGTI

Bury Me Deep In Love is pretty good too.

Ghost Dog
27-11-2021, 02:50 PM
Enjoy these updates.

GVGjr
28-11-2021, 12:29 PM
McComb won our Footscray B&F fairest along with being selected in the VFL team of the year.
I mentioned in another thread it might have been the consecutive 32 possession games and that he averaged nearly 5 tackles a game for the season that probably placed his name firmly in our list of draft candidates.

Who knows if he plays much for us but adding McComb seems like a positive rookie selection to me.

Mofra
28-11-2021, 01:48 PM
McComb won our Footscray B&F fairest along with being selected in the VFL team of the year.
I mentioned in another thread it might have been the consecutive 32 possession games and that he averaged nearly 5 tackles a game for the season that probably placed his name firmly in our list of draft candidates.

Who knows if he plays much for us but adding McComb seems like a positive rookie selection to me.
He's our second rookie selection. I'm ok to add a 'plug and play' type to the list
Has he played much outside mid at VFL level? From memory he plays in the centre a lot

whythelongface
28-11-2021, 02:10 PM

I loved the Triffids

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Great band. BSD is a superb album.

GVGjr
28-11-2021, 04:44 PM
He's our second rookie selection. I'm ok to add a 'plug and play' type to the list
Has he played much outside mid at VFL level? From memory he plays in the centre a lot

Yes, mostly in the middle but I seem to recall a game across half back as well.
If does nothing more than add depth it's still a decent selection for us.

Twodogs
28-11-2021, 08:45 PM
David’s brother Robert also played in the Triffids.

You know how sometimes you read something or someone tells you something and you think "I knew that, why didn't I say it in the first place" given it's a thread about a bloke called Robert McComb and everything...

Graham Lee who was in the Triffids was in one of my favourite ever bands too-John Kennedy's Love Gone Wrong, as was Martin Casey who I met a couple of times when he was playing in the Bad Seeds.

azabob
28-11-2021, 10:37 PM
You know how sometimes you read something or someone tells you something and you think "I knew that, why didn't I say it in the first place" given it's a thread about a bloke called Robert McComb and everything...

Graham Lee who was in the Triffids was in one of my favourite ever bands too-John Kennedy's Love Gone Wrong, as was Martin Casey who I met a couple of times when he was playing in the Bad Seeds.

Look, I thought it was odd you didn’t say that, considering you raised the Triffids reference and all, but then I thought maybe I do know more about Australian music than TD…

Twodogs
28-11-2021, 10:52 PM
QUOTE=azabob;771600]Look, I thought it was odd you didn’t say that, considering you raised the Triffids reference and all, but then I thought maybe I do know more about Australian music than TD…[/QUOTE]

Nah, I wouldn't think so. I'm just a lot stupider than people think is all.

EasternWest
28-11-2021, 11:21 PM
QUOTE=azabob;771600]Look, I thought it was odd you didn’t say that, considering you raised the Triffids reference and all, but then I thought maybe I do know more about Australian music than TD…

Nah, I wouldn't think so. I'm just a lot stupider than people think is all.[/QUOTE]

Not me.

You're exactly as stupid as I think you are.

Stupid, sexy.

Mofra
14-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Thinking back on this selection - has the current Covid issue now completely justified this pick?
It's likely we're going to have players miss games due to Covid (whether a positive RAT or needing to isolate). Robbie is about as 'plug and play' as you can get, being a mature type who can run and knows our system well from his time at Footscray.

bornadog
14-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Thinking back on this selection - has the current Covid issue now completely justified this pick?
It's likely we're going to have players miss games due to Covid (whether a positive RAT or needing to isolate). Robbie is about as 'plug and play' as you can get, being a mature type who can run and knows our system well from his time at Footscray.

Good point Mofra. We may end up using the full list again (whether Covid or injuries) and a more mature player like McComb will be more than handy.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-01-2022, 12:13 PM

Good point.

Personally I would have liked another mature mid for this exact reason.

GVGjr
14-01-2022, 12:24 PM

I think he was an excellent selection and he should respond well to being a full time footballer. Adding Parker to the list was also an indication we were probably tight with the salary cap and that we were looking favorably at players who might transition to senior football quickly.
McNeil and Scott proved their worth last year so hopefully McComb and Parker will as well.

EasternWest
14-01-2022, 02:24 PM
I think he was an excellent selection and he should respond well to being a full time footballer. Adding Parker to the list was also an indication we were probably tight with the salary cap and that we were looking favorably at players who might transition to senior football quickly.
McNeil and Scott proved their worth last year so hopefully McComb and Parker will as well.

Agree with everything you've said here.

GVGjr
14-01-2022, 03:00 PM

With some reflection on this and seeing how Covid-19 is running amok I wonder if clubs might be given some additional access to state league players? I hope we have short listed some deserving types in case we get directed to add some players.

Mofra
14-01-2022, 03:10 PM
With some reflection on this and seeing how Covid-19 is running amok I wonder if clubs might be given some additional access to state league players? I hope we have short listed some deserving types in case we get directed to add some players.
I think we'll see as the season pans out. Carlton missed out on SSP access for Jones didn't they?
The North situation with Jed Anderson looks shaky as well.

The other side of the coin is state leagues wanting to retain their players. They might be just as impacted too and it all could filter down through suburban leagues who may come under even more pressure as the season wears on

The Bulldogs Bite
14-01-2022, 03:34 PM
I think we'll see as the season pans out. Carlton missed out on SSP access for Jones didn't they?
The North situation with Jed Anderson looks shaky as well.

The other side of the coin is state leagues wanting to retain their players. They might be just as impacted too and it all could filter down through suburban leagues who may come under even more pressure as the season wears on

At the moment it's hard to see how local leagues get through a season at all.

dog town
15-01-2022, 08:25 AM
At the moment it's hard to see how local leagues get through a season at all. Probably helps that this is all happening now but given up trying to make predictions on this.

I think you will lose 50% of local level players if there is any interruption to the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Probably helps that this is all happening now but given up trying to make predictions on this.

I think you will lose 50% of local level players if there is any interruption to the season.

Agreed. Local sport will take a while to recover if it happens (local footy has been on the decline in numbers for a while, even before the pandemic).

jazzadogs
17-01-2022, 08:23 PM
Agreed. Local sport will take a while to recover if it happens (local footy has been on the decline in numbers for a while, even before the pandemic).

I know last year there were a fair few guys at my club who were barely available because they were not getting paid 'enough' to play poor quality local football :confused: , and preferred to do overtime at work. I think the cash side of local footy will be really interesting over the next couple of years, as potentially cash injections from local businesses drop off and the lure of overtime/weekend work increases.

dog town
17-01-2022, 09:11 PM
I know last year there were a fair few guys at my club who were barely available because they were not getting paid 'enough' to play poor quality local football :confused: , and preferred to do overtime at work. I think the cash side of local footy will be really interesting over the next couple of years, as potentially cash injections from local businesses drop off and the lure of overtime/weekend work increases.
There is still a mountain of cash being thrown around at the moment. In my experience it is purely putting themselves through the time and effort to then have the season knocked on the head.

Mofra
22-04-2022, 10:28 AM
So, where does he play this weekend?
Good luck to him and he absolutely deserves his opportunity, but he has been playing mostly in the centre at VFL level.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 10:58 AM
Good luck to him and he absolutely deserves his opportunity, but he has been playing mostly in the centre at VFL level.

I think he can play the wing roll. Has some pace,and knows how to get the ball

Happy Days
22-04-2022, 11:08 AM
His ball use in the pre-season was me level so I’m not exactly confident in him handling the swirlier Ballarat conditions. But he’s earned his chance so hopefully he makes the wing his own.

Swoop
22-04-2022, 03:28 PM

I see him being more of a replacement for Garcia. He brings intensity and attack on the football. His disposal isn't the cleanest so I don't think the wing role is best suited to his skill set.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 03:47 PM
I see him being more of a replacement for Garcia. He brings intensity and attack on the football. His disposal isn't the cleanest so I don't think the wing role is best suited to his skill set.

Ran a bit up and down the wing last week, but his foot skills for short passing were way off with a couple of clangers.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 04:22 PM
https://youtu.be/jad2172gNro

whythelongface
22-04-2022, 08:17 PM
That’s a lovely jumper presentation. Well done Robbie’s mum and well done to the club for inviting Robbie’s mum to present the jumper. Such a beautiful moment for the family.

AshMac
24-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Did alright yesterday for a first game. He clearly isn’t a natural AFL player and will need to work on it. Got to it enough for mine for a few more chances to see if he can actually do something when he has it.

boydogs
25-04-2022, 01:46 AM
That was Lin Jong esque the way he turned the ball over, but he did get involved and will improve from there

josie
25-04-2022, 11:23 AM
Have to give him another go and preferably a bit of rotation in mid, hopefully with more defensive traits when we need it. Go Rory.

Hotdog60
25-04-2022, 11:45 AM
I know Bevo doesn't tag that much but could McComb be that player. He has a bit of size about him and give him something to focus on.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 12:14 PM
I know Bevo doesn't tag that much but could McComb be that player. He has a bit of size about him and give him something to focus on.

Good suggestion HD60. Doesn't have to be every moment of a game, or every game. eg We lost to Carlton mainly due to the 2nd quarter dominance of Cripps

macca
25-04-2022, 11:44 PM

I noticed that as well on saturday, his a big unit in size, does he have the speed to match it with the best players? This would free Dunks to play beast mode. McCombe does seem to get to the right spots, he could be our DeBoer type player.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 11:45 PM
I noticed that as well on saturday, his a big unit in size, does he have the speed to match it with the best players? This would free Dunks to play beast mode. McCombe does seem to get to the right spots, he could be our DeBoer type player.

He's not he's pretty small.

Mantis
26-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Beast mode you say? How often do we see that?

We already have too many mids in the team so if McComb tags then one of Dunkley or Libba doesn't play.

azabob
26-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Beast mode you say? How often do we see that?

We already have too many mids in the team so if McComb tags then one of Dunkley or Libba doesn't play.

We saw it for 6 weeks at the back end of 2019 - So not too often week in week out.

macca
27-04-2022, 09:56 PM
He's not he's pretty small.

I have just seen him on TV, so in real life it may be different. But what I see he looks very strong and solid build. His listed as 181 cm / 82 kg on the fc website. Maybe 1 or 2 preseasons he could add another 5 kg to his frame and be a stronger. Hopefully he won't lose any speed with the extra weight and strength.

I dream of all of our players turning on beast mode and scaring the daylights out of opposition. But I think they are too nice the way they play. They need to terrorize the opposition and make them afraid to get tackled, like our 2016 team and the Brisbane side of early 2000. With the AFL rules now, attempting to turn the game into a non-contact support, they will probably get booked for charging or some new way to interrupt the rule charge of unintentional becomes intentional contact.

hujsh
28-04-2022, 01:27 AM
I have just seen him on TV, so in real life it may be different. But what I see he looks very strong and solid build. His listed as 181 cm / 82 kg on the fc website. Maybe 1 or 2 preseasons he could add another 5 kg to his frame and be a stronger. Hopefully he won't lose any speed with the extra weight and strength.

I dream of all of our players turning on beast mode and scaring the daylights out of opposition. But I think they are too nice the way they play. They need to terrorize the opposition and make them afraid to get tackled, like our 2016 team and the Brisbane side of early 2000. With the AFL rules now, attempting to turn the game into a non-contact support, they will probably get booked for charging or some new way to interrupt the rule charge of unintentional becomes intentional contact.

So when he's 28 or 29?

macca
28-04-2022, 02:51 PM
So when he's 28 or 29?

I was thinking like Sam Menegola from Geelong type development.

Came to Geelong in 2016 when he was 26, played 8 games in his first season . Was with Fremantle and the hawks for a few years but could not break into the team .

He might be a different type of player with different attributes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Menegola

Can only dream to pickup a player like that to have such great impact on a team.

Mofra
28-04-2022, 02:55 PM
I was thinking like Sam Menegola from Geelong type development.

Came to Geelong in 2016 when he was 26, played 8 games in his first season . Was with Fremantle and the hawks for a few years but could not break into the team .

He might be a different type of player with different attributes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Menegola

Can only dream to pickup a player like that to have such great impact on a team.
I'll give you Menegola, Ted Richards, and perhaps even Podsiadly who kicked on late in their 20s. It's a damn short list though.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Fantastic second game for Robbie. He started to get use to the pace of AFL and his disposal got better and better.

21 Disposals and 2 goals was a nice return.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Fantastic second game for Robbie. He started to get use to the pace of AFL and his disposal got better and better.

21 Disposals and 2 goals was a nice return.

I must have been watching an entirely different game.

His disposal was absolutely horrific.

Grantysghost
01-05-2022, 08:37 PM

It was butcher city.

However. Second game so very encouraging.

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 08:37 PM

He might have got a bit of the footy but I agree his kicking was poor.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 08:41 PM

It was in the first half, but he started to improve as the game got longer. DE% was only 52, but I felt his confidence started rising.

He still has a way to go, but getting his hands on the ball for a second gamer shows some ability

azabob
01-05-2022, 08:45 PM
It was in the first half, but he started to improve as the game got longer. DE% was only 52, but I felt his confidence started rising.

He still has a way to go, but getting his hands on the ball for a second gamer shows some ability

Watching from the crowd would be hard to see. From the couch I couldn’t see an improvement from last week.

chef
01-05-2022, 08:48 PM
He'd be close to the worst kick in the AFL. Needs a lot of work.

GVGjr
01-05-2022, 08:50 PM

He hasn't learned to weight his kicks yet.

Happy Days
01-05-2022, 08:51 PM
Yeah he’s really rough by foot, but that missed hit to Treloar was by far the worst. I can to a degree tolerate limited skill but that one was just lazy.

Grantysghost
01-05-2022, 08:52 PM

This is why I argue Lipinski. Beautiful kick. He had 30 at 77 percent today.

Maybe I'm old fashioned McComb is probably better on the turnover and in a contested sense.

Skills are over rated right?

whythelongface
01-05-2022, 10:19 PM
Maybe he is more of a contested player rather than one whom is elite by foot. There were a few instances where he was at the bottom of the pack either winning the footy or making it difficult for the opposition. Probably a trait that Lipinski lacked. It would be great if he had both the elite disposal as well as being able to win the ball, but if he can get it to the likes of Dale, Daniel, Treloar, Bont etc then he is doing his job.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2022, 10:26 PM
McComb started today really poorly. Looked like nerves. Dropped an easy mark, fumbled, missed easy targets by hand. However he worked his way into the game and was a solid contributor. I'm not too sure if he is AFL standard but willing to see what he can contribute with a few more games under the belt.

1eyedog
01-05-2022, 11:31 PM
Legit nearly misses his foot everytime.

bornadog
01-05-2022, 11:48 PM
McComb started today really poorly. Looked like nerves. Dropped an easy mark, fumbled, missed easy targets by hand. However he worked his way into the game and was a solid contributor. I'm not too sure if he is AFL standard but willing to see what he can contribute with a few more games under the belt.

Has played 2 games, I think we can cut him some slack

angelopetraglia
02-05-2022, 12:10 AM

Yes. Agree 100%.

macca
02-05-2022, 12:18 AM

Yep , he gets to the right spots and seems to be in the contest. Maybe if he play more on instinct and fine tune his kicking he could be a good player.

His crumb from a punch from McNeil is a good a sign of his positioning to the right spots

I won’t write him off , but his disposal is ordinary and lot to work on

comrade
02-05-2022, 05:57 AM
This is why I argue Lipinski. Beautiful kick. He had 30 at 77 percent today.

Maybe I'm old fashioned McComb is probably better on the turnover and in a contested sense.

Skills are over rated right?

It’s human nature to feel more positively towards those that you relate to more. Bevo was an undersized, average skilled battler when he was running around, so would feel a kinship for those types.

GVGjr
02-05-2022, 06:31 AM
It’s human nature to feel more positively towards those that you relate to more. Bevo was an undersized, average skilled battler when he was running around, so would feel a kinship for those types.

I'm not so sure that is correct. Neil Balme the player was as tough as they come. As a coach his teams were soft.
Wallace couldn't kick more than 35mtrs and was slow but loved the running players and long kicks like Eagleton.

azabob
02-05-2022, 07:20 AM

Pre his debut and after his debut this definitely was not your position. What has made you change your mind?

comrade
02-05-2022, 07:57 AM
I'm not so sure that is correct. Neil Balme the player was as tough as they come. As a coach his teams were soft.
Wallace couldn't kick more than 35mtrs and was slow but loved the running players and long kicks like Eagleton.

That’s true. It’s quite possible I’m creating a narrative to fit my own bias ;)

bornadog
02-05-2022, 09:54 AM
Pre his debut and after his debut this definitely was not your position. What has made you change your mind?

Now that he is in, we need to give him a go and see how he performs.

He won't be dropped this week.

Mofra
02-05-2022, 10:17 AM
18 pressure acts. I can see some method to the MC madness, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.
Garcia, McComb, McNeill - we love our pressure type scrappers at HF

Bulldog4life
02-05-2022, 10:46 AM
His 2 goals were important to us.

bornadog
02-05-2022, 01:56 PM
18 pressure acts. I can see some method to the MC madness, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.
Garcia, McComb, McNeill - we love our pressure type scrappers at HF

the forward pressure was great to see and resulted in a few goals.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2022, 11:27 PM
Did a fine job. Not convinced he will be in the team come September, but for now he offers more than some other players.

The Underdog
04-05-2022, 07:36 AM

On the topic of Eagleton, McComb’s left foot kick is about as good as I imagine Nathan’s right would have been if he had of ever used it.

AshMac
04-05-2022, 08:36 AM
Did a fine job. Not convinced he will be in the team come September, but for now he offers more than some other players.

Agree. Lots of nerves by the look of it and a long way off looking like a long term prospect yet - but give him a few runs at it and let’s see what he has.

It just amazes me though the logic of our MC in who gets a “run at it”.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2022, 09:51 AM
He’s not going to be a skilful player, but if he can keep the pressure up and contribute to the scoreboard, while reducing his turnovers and the severity of them, he may be a 50 game player for us. Let’s be honest, with a healthy list he doesn’t play, and he’s not going to be a difference maker for us, however if he can do this role for a few more weeks and we see some improvement, maybe he sits in that 20-30 spot on the list.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 10:01 AM
It just amazes me though the logic of our MC in who gets a “run at it”.

He had a 36 disposal, 28, disposal games in the VFL - that is the logic, he knows how to find the ball.

Mofra
04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
He had a 36 disposal, 28, disposal games in the VFL - that is the logic, he knows how to find the ball.
Yep - say what you will about his disposal, but he was our best performer at VFL level and he's gotten two games on the back of that.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Yep - say what you will about his disposal, but he was our best performer at VFL level and he's gotten two games on the back of that.

With those 2 games he is still getting used to the AFL tempo compared to VFL resulting in his poor kicking at times. He will get better with more experience in the big time.