PDA

View Full Version : Star Bulldog takes indefinite leave of absence

GVGjr
17-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Smith (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl)

The Western Bulldogs have granted star midfielder Bailey Smith an indefinite leave of absence from the club.

Western Bulldogs cult figure Bailey Smith is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the club for personal reasons.

The 21-year-old midfielder is completing his training remotely but football boss and club great Chris Grant is confident Smith’s preparation for next season won’t be impeded.

The Bulldogs also allowed Western Australian pair Tim English and Aaron Naughton and South Australian Caleb Daniel to train interstate pre-Christmas because of Covid-19 border uncertainty.

Smith’s circumstances are different to that trio as he focuses on personal issues, including but not restricted to private family matters.

“We remain in close contact with Bailey, and we respect and understand his need to spend some time away from the club at the moment,” Grant said.

“With such a short training block before the Christmas break for the AFL squad; we are comfortable to afford Bailey the time he needs.

“We’ll support him throughout, and he’ll return when he is ready.

“Bailey has maintained an extremely high level of physical conditioning throughout his entire career, and we’re looking forward to reintegrating him into the program at the appropriate time.”

Smith is known as an obsessive and dedicated trainer and has not missed a match in his first three seasons since the Dogs selected him seventh overall in the star-studded 2018 AFL Draft.

He has dethroned Richmond superstar Dustin Martin as the most-followed AFL footballer on Instagram with 355,000 and has become one of the most recognised players in the game.

But Smith told the Common Chaos podcast in October that there were mental health challenges which came with his overnight fame.

“We remain in close contact with Bailey, and we respect and understand his need to spend some time away from the club at the moment,” Grant said.

“With such a short training block before the Christmas break for the AFL squad; we are comfortable to afford Bailey the time he needs.

“We’ll support him throughout, and he’ll return when he is ready.

“Bailey has maintained an extremely high level of physical conditioning throughout his entire career, and we’re looking forward to reintegrating him into the program at the appropriate time.”

Smith is known as an obsessive and dedicated trainer and has not missed a match in his first three seasons since the Dogs selected him seventh overall in the star-studded 2018 AFL Draft.

He has dethroned Richmond superstar Dustin Martin as the most-followed AFL footballer on Instagram with 355,000 and has become one of the most recognised players in the game.

But Smith told the Common Chaos podcast in October that there were mental health challenges which came with his overnight fame.

EasternWest
17-12-2021, 11:46 PM
Well we get around him and give him everything he needs.

bornadog
17-12-2021, 11:58 PM
Hopefully he can sort things out. All the best to the young man

ratsmac
18-12-2021, 07:45 AM
Hopefully he's alright. AFL is a tough gig not just on the field. The level of expectation to play well every week is a massive weight on every players shoulders and then the added pressure to behave and be a role model for young men can take its toll. I'm glad we have good support for him to guide him through these rough times.

Go_Dogs
18-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Hope he’s getting the support he needs and comes back as strong as ever. A key player for us, but health and well-being must come first.

GVGjr
18-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Hope he’s getting the support he needs and comes back as strong as ever. A key player for us, but health and well-being must come first.

He will get plenty of support no doubt from the club.
It's a real shame he is struggling.

Grantysghost
18-12-2021, 10:55 AM
That level of adulation was always going to take a toll on a kid like Bailey, and sounds like there's other factors.

Continued management with him will be the norm, hope to see him back refreshed in the new year.

MrMahatma
18-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Maybe we need to stop making him the pseudo face of the club as well?

The kid seems like a really sweet kinda guy. Hope he’s ok. Whatever he’s going through won’t be fun at all.

Vred
18-12-2021, 02:33 PM
His mum is very, very sick from the sounds of it. Hopefully whatever it is she pulls through.

hujsh
18-12-2021, 03:24 PM
His mum is very, very sick from the sounds of it. Hopefully whatever it is she pulls through.

Definitely takes priority. Hope the same

comrade
18-12-2021, 04:05 PM
This ain’t good.

EasternWest
18-12-2021, 09:13 PM

Oh that's just terrible. Poor kid. And her also, obviously.

Eastdog
19-12-2021, 06:25 PM
I wish Bailey all the best. He needs some time to deal with some things and I look forward to seeing him back again soon. Take care mate.

Eastdog
19-12-2021, 06:26 PM

Yeah would be a priority for him at the moment. Hope she will be ok.

LostDog
19-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Who's the second player reported to be on leave

jeemak
19-12-2021, 09:42 PM

Que?

GVGjr
19-12-2021, 10:37 PM

Is there a 2nd player on leave or is the reference that Naughton and English are in WA and Daniel is in SA?

I know there is a sub headline to the article but I think it's a reference to the players above.

Cult figure Bailey Smith is on indefinite leave from the Western Bulldogs, but he is not the only key member missing as the club negotiates an ever-changing situation.

LostDog
19-12-2021, 11:24 PM
Aaron Naughtons been a busy boy, shacked up with a chick friend at work

jeemak
19-12-2021, 11:27 PM
Aaron Naughtons been a busy boy, shacked up with a chick friend at work

I'm sure she'll enjoy Melbourne.

Grantysghost
21-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Cooney actually half sensible here :: https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/adam-cooney-throws-support-behind-bailey-smith-after-youngster-steps-away-from-western-bulldogs-c-5023181

Mofra
21-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Posted elsewhere:

"The mother has bulimia. Supposedly his Sister as well.

Not sure about the severity.

Excellent source. Take it or leave it. I won't be commenting further."

Not sure if true but Bailey does seem close with his family.

Grantysghost
21-12-2021, 05:21 PM
Posted elsewhere:

Hmmm.
Not sure why someone would post that if they knew.
Seems a little personal.

bornadog
21-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Hmmm.
Seems a little personal.

Mofra is usually spot on with his sources.

Grantysghost
21-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Mofra is usually spot on with his sources.

Certainly wasnt questioning him, more his source.

If you knew information that personal, which I assume only a handful do, be strange to be posting it publically seems pretty personal was my point.

Also. One post closer! :cool:

hujsh
21-12-2021, 11:54 PM
I'll just add it seems a bit unusual for two members of the family to have the same eating disorder. Not impossible or anything. Maybe there's some story there if true

jeemak
22-12-2021, 01:06 AM
Hmmm.
Seems a little personal.

It seems completely unusual that somebody would think of making that public if close to the family, but the times are the times and people do really weird shit to themselves and others.

Vred
22-12-2021, 12:17 PM
Dogs just posted pic of him back at training today.

Axe Man
22-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Dogs just posted pic of him back at training today.

https://i.postimg.cc/htNvr2yb/baz.jpg (https://postimg.cc/NK7QGkw5)

jeemak
22-12-2021, 12:36 PM
Jeez he's really let himself go over his laying low period........

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Jeez he's really let himself go over his laying low period........

I know, it's disgusting....

dog town
22-12-2021, 01:03 PM
They played a scratch match today, he must be doing his full schedule at home including kicking his legs in a bit with some skills. Highly unlikely they would allow anyone to walk straight into match sim if they haven’t been kicking under fatigue.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-12-2021, 05:33 PM
Go Smithy!
Back on deck after all the dogs sniffing your rear end.
Smelling like roses.
Fit as a fiddle.

chef
22-12-2021, 08:27 PM
Posted elsewhere:

My daughters home from Melbourne and is in the same friend's circle as Bailey's GF and apparently that's not the reason.

More of a personal issue to him, but thats all I'll say.

FrediKanoute
23-12-2021, 03:44 AM
My daughters home from Melbourne and is in the same friend's circle as Bailey's GF and apparently that's not the reason.

More of a personal issue to him, but thats all I'll say.

Intriguing! That said if its persnonal, its personal. I wouldn't want my personal sh*t splashed all over the work gossip chain let aloe the papers and social media. Lets just hope he is on the mend!