PDA

View Full Version : Aflw 2022/2023

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jazzadogs
03-01-2022, 06:54 PM
I know there is a mix of AFLW knowledge on here, but it would be great to get some more engagement with our female program/the AFLW on WOOF.

We are still a very young side, with our 'senior' players Ellie Blackburn (26), Kirsty Lamb (27), Brooke Lochland (30) supporting young stars such as Izzy Huntington, Eleanor Brown, Bonnie Toogood and Jess Fitzgerald.

We have brought in experience and size with Rocky Cranston (32), who will likely play as a bullocking presence up forward and can hopefully do short bursts through the midfield to support Lamb and Blackburn, and Elle Bennetts (32) who will hopefully fill a spot on the wing.

B: Ferres Lynch
HB: Hartwig Gamble Brown
C: Bennetts Lamb Lochland
HF: Cranston Huntington ???
F: McLeod Toogood
R: Moody Blackburn Fitzgerald

I think Bailey Hunt and Alice Edmonds would be in our best squad, although Hunt needs to continue improving her defensive accountability.

I don't really know who slots in to the other spots on the bench, or if some of the younger players will push into that starting side - lots of young players like Ling, Snell, Gutknecht, Grant, Strahan, Georgostathis, Lagoia that I'm either not convinced by or don't know enough about.

I love Hannah Scott's penetration by foot but worry that the game has progressed past her now at the age of 31. I don't see her being more than a cameo.

What am I looking forward to?
Sitting on the hill watching Izzy Huntington outmark 3, 4, 5 opponents. She is an absolute star of the competition at either hand - a genuine female Chris Grant.

Who will be the surprise packet?
I think Bonnie Toogood, Eleanor Brown and Jess Fitzgerald can all have AA-quality seasons, but not sure that would be a surprise for any of them.
Sarah Hartwig was really impressive in her debut season as a half-back flanker with good composure and great skills.
I've only seen Amanda Ling's draft video but think there is a clear opening in our midfield for somebody who can win their own football.

Where will we finish?
I think we could sneak in to finals, but likely finish just outside in 7th-10th. I think we could hope to win the 4 highlighted matches, and if we can sneak another couple then we are likely and deserving finalists. I see Melbourne, Freo, Adelaide, Collingwood and Brisbane as likely finalists. North, Carlton and us are in the next bunch.

Melbourne (H), Geelong (A), Carlton (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Richmond (H), Adelaide (A), Gold Coast (H), Collingwood (A), Fremantle (H)

jazzadogs
03-01-2022, 06:56 PM
Here's a Link (https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/2022-western-bulldogs-aflw-preview/?fbclid=IwAR2Wwx_mjM0IGnmwFVXSFgLE80m4y4mCJyoD0bS_AMEtsYjaR5 JlxiG0AVM) to a good (and more optimistic) preview.

Hotdog60
03-01-2022, 09:50 PM
I agree with Hannah and I thought last season she was already showing signs that the game is getting past her.
She's always been an aggressive player but when you start giving away silly free kicks you know time is catching up on you.
Blackburn does need support and I thought Lamb had her best season and hopefully she can take another step.
Lockland was a disappointment and this could be because of a change of role so how she goes will be interesting over all I think we have the making of a good team and I hope we can keep our best players when the other 4 teams come in.
Sarah Black's top 30 show how much the expansion has hurt us.

Prince Imperial
03-01-2022, 10:15 PM
Georgostathis played every game in her first two seasons and I think and hope is one who can really step up. Her depth of kicking is limited but she is quite a terrier with her intensity and attack on the ball and opposition.

She really put Conti out of business in the last game of last season and I think she will continue to develop as a tagger.

bornadog
04-01-2022, 12:03 AM
Any Chance of a separate forum again for AFLW? Sorry to ask again. i know nothing about logistically whether the website can handle another forum within the software.

Thank you

SonofScray
04-01-2022, 09:06 AM
The additions I think are pretty valuable in terms of maturity for a young group.

There is an interesting dynamic in AFLW though where you get instant benefits and perhaps a higher ceiling from the younger ones coming through. They are reaping the rewards of the system that wasn’t as well set up for the older women.

In all, on paper, the mix looks right.

jazzadogs
04-01-2022, 02:23 PM
Georgostathis played every game in her first two seasons and I think and hope is one who can really step up. Her depth of kicking is limited but she is quite a terrier with her intensity and attack on the ball and opposition.

She really put Conti out of business in the last game of last season and I think she will continue to develop as a tagger.

Yeh I've probably undersold her. Her skills/penetration with kicking have definitely let her down - I think it really stands out in the lighter frames if they are not as skilful. But you are right that her attack on the ball and tackling is a strength. There's definitely a role for taggers in aflw, where most teams have 1or 2 standout mids.

mjp
04-01-2022, 11:31 PM
I'm not particularly optimistic.

My concern is that AFLW (to this point) is a super simple game - if you can consistently score 6 goals, you WIN.

WHERE (oh where) are our goals going to come from? Huntington will continue to be pulled up the field, Blackburn MUST play mid, Toogood leads far too wide/doesn't draw the ball...what's changed?

The other (obvious) problem is that every coach knows that goals are G-O-L-D and therefore kick the ball so wide out of D50 that scoring at the other end becomes more than a bit of a challenge - in particular if there is any kind of breeze blowing...

We need goals. Where are they? I can just see another season like last where we are 'in' games but are never able to 'win' games (never is strong, I enjoyed watching the girls in 2021) but I hope a lot of people get my meaning.

bornadog
05-01-2022, 12:56 AM

My concern is that AFLW (to this point) is a super simple game - if you can consistently score 6 goals, you WIN.

WHERE (oh where) are our goals going to come from? Huntington will continue to be pulled up the field, Blackburn MUST play mid, Toogood leads far too wide/doesn't draw the ball...what's changed?

The other (obvious) problem is that every coach knows that goals are G-O-L-D and therefore kick the ball so wide out of D50 that scoring at the other end becomes more than a bit of a challenge - in particular if there is any kind of breeze blowing...

We need goals. Where are they? I can just see another season like last where we are 'in' games but are never able to 'win' games (never is strong, I enjoyed watching the girls in 2021) but I hope a lot of people get my meaning.

We had the same issue last year, ie not kicking enough goals.

jazzadogs
05-01-2022, 11:23 AM

Our defence definitely kept us in games a lot in 2021 - Brown, Gamble, Lynch all had really strong years and seemed to develop a good relationship as a defensive group.

RE scoring goals, I suspect they are banking on
A) natural improvement from Huntington, Fitzgerald, Toogood who are all 24 or under
B) addition of Cranston who has been a good goalscorer in good teams
C) better ball movement as we bring in more highly skilled young players, and can hopefully counter wide defensive exits

Lack of offensive threats and poor midfield depth are the main reasons I see us as below the Pies, Demons and Lions. But I think we are better than Suns, Giants, Saints, Cats, Tigers, and if we get a lucky result or two (like last year when Melbourne kicked 2.12) then I can see us sneaking in to finals.

mjp
05-01-2022, 07:17 PM
Our defence definitely kept us in games a lot in 2021 - Brown, Gamble, Lynch all had really strong years and seemed to develop a good relationship as a defensive group.

RE scoring goals, I suspect they are banking on
A) natural improvement from Huntington, Fitzgerald, Toogood who are all 24 or under
B) addition of Cranston who has been a good goalscorer in good teams
C) better ball movement as we bring in more highly skilled young players, and can hopefully counter wide defensive exits

Point A: Agree but Huntington gets so HIGH (trying to get involved) that I just can't see how that helps...unless she goes to the goal-square which really means 8-12 opportunities per game.
Point B: I'm not a believer but happy to play the wait and see game.
Point C: I just need to see it but the wind kills kicking in the AFLW and playing at the Whitten Oval...

I don't know. I think we have assembled a reasonable squad but it really feels like we are stuck in the middle of the pack - too straight for the hips, too hip for the straights (and a dollar for anyone who gets that reference!).

Hotdog60
05-01-2022, 09:48 PM
It's only a brief look but it appears we are working on kicking for goal skills.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1043827/lighting-up-the-track-ahead-of-round-1?videoId=1043827&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1641348000001

bornadog
05-01-2022, 11:05 PM
Season preview: Can plucky Dogs push for a finals berth? (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1043451/season-preview-can-plucky-dogs-push-for-a-finals-berth-)

Coach: Nathan Burke

Captain: Ellie Blackburn

2021 best and fairest: Ellie Blackburn

2021 in a nutshell: The Bulldogs were one of the competition’s big improvers last season, holding a spot in the top six for much of the year before fading late to finish eighth with five wins and four losses.

Captain Ellie Blackburn was superb early, leading the AFLW Best and Fairest count after round four. Wins over Carlton and Melbourne were big ticks but a 56-point thrashing by Adelaide in round eight ended the Dogs' finals hopes.

Full squad: Deanna Berry, Elle Bennetts, Ellie Blackburn, Eleanor Brown, Richelle Cranston, Alice Edmonds, Naomi Ferres, Jess Fitzgerald, Ellyse Gamble, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Isabella Grant, Ashleigh Guest, Britney Gutknecht, Sarah Hartwig, Bailey Hunt, Isabel Huntington, Gemma Lagioia, Kirsty Lamb, Amanda Ling, Brooke Lochland, Katie Lynch, Kirsten McLeod, Celine Moody, Nell Morris-Dalton, Isabella Pritchard, Hannah Scott, Aurora Smith, Elizabeth Snell, Annabel Strahan, Bonnie Toogood

Recruits: Elle Bennetts (GWS), Richelle Cranston (delisted free agent, Geelong), Alice Edmonds (replacement player, formerly Richmond)

Draftees: Amanda Ling, Aurora Smith, Elizabeth Snell

Inactive: Gabby Newton (shoulder)

Out: Ange Gogos, Lauren Spark, Amelia Van Oosterwijck (retired), Katy Herron, Danielle Marshall, Kim Rennie (delisted)

2022 opponents: Melbourne (H), Geelong (A), Carlton (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Richmond (H), Adelaide (A), Gold Coast (H), Collingwood (A), Fremantle (H)

Circle it: It comes no bigger than a blockbuster round one clash under lights against Melbourne at Whitten Oval. The two clubs will vie for the Hampson-Hardeman Cup, which is currently held by the Dogs, although the Demons have a 7-4 overall winning record between the teams.

Player to watch: Midfielder Jess Fitzgerald will look to build on an excellent debut season in which she earned a NAB AFLW Rising Star nomination and selection in the AFLPA's 22under22 team. Averaging just over 10 disposals and kicking five goals in 2021, the former No.2 pick has all the attributes to become a vital part of Nathan Burke's side.

Best NAB AFLW Rising Star chances: Amanda Ling, Sarah Hartwig

2022 prediction: The loss of Gabby Newton for the season after a dual shoulder reconstruction is a massive blow, while a difficult draw means finals will be a tough proposition. The Dogs are more than capable of pushing the top sides and If they can bank another five wins – as they did in 2021 – then this year should be considered a success. But with Ellie Blackburn at the peak of her powers and a host of young talent including Izzy Huntington, Jess Fitzgerald and Issy Grant at their disposal, there's plenty of room for optimism in seasons to come.

jazzadogs
06-01-2022, 02:10 PM
For anyone looking to build their own interest in the AFLW this year, Moreira's Magic has started an AFLW Fantasy competition. $5000 to the winner.

It realllllly tested my knowledge beyond the 'stars'.

https://aflwfantasy.com.au/

jazzadogs
07-01-2022, 06:45 PM
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne at VU Whitten Oval, 7pm AEDT

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: E.Brown 9 I.Huntington 4
HB: E.Bennetts 11 N.Ferres 16 A.Guest 19
C: I.Grant 3 E.Blackburn - C 2 I.Pritchard 20
HF: B.Gutknecht 18 R.Cranston 30 B.Lochland 1
F: N.Morris-Dalton 25 B.Toogood 8
Foll: C.Moody 13 J.Fitzgerald 23 K.Lamb 27
I/C: S.Hartwig 15 E.Georgostathis 17 A.Edmonds 33 E.Snell 26 A.Ling 29

Emerg: G.Lagioia 12 A.Strahan 35

MELBOURNE

B: B.Tarrant 20 L.Birch 9
HB: S.Lampard 8 M.Fitzsimon 24 S.Heath 30
C: A.Bannan 16 M.Gay 3 C.Sherriff 18
HF: L.Mithen 14 K.Hore 10 J.Parry 19
F: T.Harris 7 D.Pearce - C 6
Foll: L.Pearce 15 K.Paxman 4 T.Hanks 5
I/C: A.Brown 28 M.Caris 21 E.West 11 E.Zanker 29 S.Scott 12

Emerg: G.Campbell 1 K.Petrevski 31

Teams have been named. Things that interested me:
- with key defenders Gamble and Lynch out injured, Huntington has been named at full back
- 2 of our draftees - inside mid Amanda Ling and ?half-forward Elizabeth Snell have been named on the bench, as well as all 3 trades
- Kirsten McLeod, one of our leading goalkickers, has not been named. Bailey Hunt and Hannah Scott two other experienced players who did not get a game.
- Jess Fitzgerald named in the midfield - I like that.

Hotdog60
07-01-2022, 07:03 PM
It's good to have footy on again. Looking forward to Saturdays game.

bornadog
08-01-2022, 12:02 AM
It's good to have footy on again. Looking forward to Saturdays game.

My first tip down the drain:D

jazzadogs
08-01-2022, 02:36 AM
My first tip down the drain:D

Saints are in for a tough year with their two best mids out - Patrikios is a top 10 player in the comp but won't get vaccinated, and Ty Smith has done her knee. It will take a bit for me to tip them.

Side note Conti was exceptional. Definitely the biggest loss to us from the expansion years - she positions herself so well at contests (always seems to be the release handball) and her agility is a level above most of the comp.

Hotdog60
08-01-2022, 07:59 AM
I was backing the saints and they were in it for half a game. Conti is the one I was shitty to see go she's a very good player.
Once Richmond got on top after the third I turned off because of Conti and a dislike of the Tigers.
On a side note Bec Goddard making a comment on one of the better Saints players and poaching her for the expansion would rub me the wrong way if I was a saints supporter listening in. Even though it may have been tongue in cheek.

mjp
08-01-2022, 12:26 PM
Carney was a massive loss. And what happened to the tradition of misspelling the names of players who choose to leave? Shouldn't it be Konti? And yes, I know how to spell Kearney, just like I know how to spell Gryphon.

mjp
08-01-2022, 12:27 PM
I was backing the saints and they were in it for half a game.

Did you really think so? The scores were close but Richmond were all over them.

bornadog
08-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Bulldogs with assistants all women - a first for AFLW.

bornadog
08-01-2022, 01:42 PM
The AFL advises Sarah Hartwig (AFL Health and Safety Protocols) has withdrawn from the Western Bulldogs team for today’s NAB AFLW Round 1 match v Melbourne.

Some bad luck

bornadog
08-01-2022, 01:43 PM
Can this thread be moved to AFL Talk and sticked please

The Underdog
08-01-2022, 01:58 PM
Think we’re going to really struggle with our lack of key defenders tonight. Looking forward to seeing Fitzgerald on the ball and the newbs.

Only saw part of last nights game but Richmond’s ball movement looked very good and their skill level was a clear separator against a Saints team who struggled to hit targets especially in the forward half.

Hotdog60
08-01-2022, 03:30 PM
Did you really think so? The scores were close but Richmond were all over them.

Richmond had a lot of it but I thought the Saints were holding up well. Patrikios has done her team no favours and they could have used her in the middle but the decision is hers to make.

The Underdog
08-01-2022, 08:49 PM
First half couldn’t have been much worse. No ball movement, over reliance on Blackburn and Huntington looks like she’s done another ACL.

bornadog
08-01-2022, 09:17 PM
Better third quarter

The Underdog
08-01-2022, 09:23 PM
Better third quarter

Much better. Toogood lifted, Bennetts impressive in the middle. Moody has been good, Blackburn outstanding as usual. Should be closer.

bornadog
08-01-2022, 09:41 PM
I am not sold on the coach

Hotdog60
08-01-2022, 10:01 PM
Issy Grant looks to have improved a little bit and got involved. It was a game of almost and yeah don't know about Burke seems a nice guy but we have stagnated since he has been in charge.

bornadog
09-01-2022, 12:14 AM
Issy Grant looks to have improved a little bit and got involved. It was a game of almost and yeah don't know about Burke seems a nice guy but we have stagnated since he has been in charge.

Issy in that backline is a good move. Hopefully Huntington has a jarred knee and not an ACL

jazzadogs
09-01-2022, 03:44 PM
I thought our first five minutes was good, with some really nice passages linking up short passes to move the ball forward. We then got broken open 3 times on turnovers/quick entries, gave up the corridor and conceded 3 easy goals. Although we increased our intensity from the second quarter onwards, our skills and ball movement really dropped away. Ellie had some uncharacteristic errors, but in general most of our disposal was rushed and ineffective - kudos to the demons for the pressure they put us under.

I felt that our defence held up well - Brown was great on Harris while Pritchard, Grant, Guest and Ferres (16 touches) all had good moments. They often had extended periods in our defensive 50 where we didn't give them an inch.

Georgostathis had a solid game - 14 touches, 5 tackles but seemed to be really involved. She still goes to ground too often for me, but makes up for it with her intensity.

Of the new players, Elle Bennetts was a great assistant for Ellie in the middle. Alice Edmonds competed well in the ruck against Pearce, one of the best rucks in the comp - she actually had the most hitouts on the field. I liked Snell's pressure and speed, hopefully she recovers from her big knock. Cranston was disappointing, and Ling seemed underutilized.

If I was giving votes it would be
4 Blackburn
3 Georgostathis
2 Lochland
1 Bennetts

comrade
09-01-2022, 10:34 PM
The catastrophic knee injuries in womens footy are a huge issue. Huntington and Davey both gone in Rd 1 is like the equivalent of Aaron Naughton and Clayton Oliver going down in the men’s game.

I don’t know what can be done, but it’s such a shame to see so many of them cut down like this.

bornadog
09-01-2022, 11:40 PM
The catastrophic knee injuries in womens footy are a huge issue. Huntington and Davey both gone in Rd 1 is like the equivalent of Aaron Naughton and Clayton Oliver going down in the men’s game.

I don’t know what can be done, but it’s such a shame to see so many of them cut down like this.

Playing in summer on hard grounds doesn't help

Prince Imperial
09-01-2022, 11:46 PM

Kate Lutkins too and she is an absolute gun (3 times All Australian and BOG in last year's grand final). :(

Mofra
10-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Any word on Huntington yet?
Absolute gun.

comrade
10-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Kate Lutkins too and she is an absolute gun (3 times All Australian and BOG in last year's grand final). :(

Damn, another one. It’s tragic.

bornadog
10-01-2022, 04:37 PM
Any word on Huntington yet?
Absolute gun.

This stinks

Western Bulldogs star forward Isabel Huntington will not return in season 2022 after rupturing her right ACL graft.

The 22-year-old sustained the injury during the second quarter of Saturday’s opening round loss to Melbourne, with scans also confirming damage to her lateral meniscus.

Huntington will undergo a surgical consult this week.

“We are absolutely devastated for Izzy – she is a much-loved figure at the Kennel, and everyone is well aware of her injury battles, so we’re just heartbroken for her,” General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said.

“She worked extremely hard this preseason to get herself ready for this year, so it’s a real shame her 2022 campaign has been cut short.

“Izzy is a true professional though, and having been through this twice before she will know what’s required of her.

“As a Club, we’ll continue to support her and the family in any way we can.”

Since being drafted with pick one in 2017, Huntington has played 20 games in the red, white and blue.

She finished third in the Bulldogs’ best and fairest count last year, after claiming the NAB AFLW Rising Star award and All Australian selection in 2020.

azabob
10-01-2022, 05:31 PM
This stinks

Honestly BAD, you've undersold how devastating this is for the club and in particular Izzy and her teammates.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-01-2022, 06:59 PM
Horrible news. She deserves nothing but good injury luck from here on in.

bornadog
10-01-2022, 08:02 PM
Honestly BAD, you've undersold how devastating this is for the club and in particular Izzy and her teammates.

Oh no I haven't I am pretty devastated for her. She is our second most important player after the Captain

Hotdog60
10-01-2022, 09:57 PM
That is absolute shit news she can't take a trick
At 22 I hope it doesn't cut her career short ala Clay Smith.
Knees in Womens sport is the pits and more research needs to go into the mechanisms and how to reduce the ACL's happening.
A lot of these knees don't appear to be contact injuries but more movement.

mjp
11-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Knees in Womens sport is the pits and more research needs to go into the mechanisms and how to reduce the ACL's happening.
A lot of these knees don't appear to be contact injuries but more movement.

I think that covers it.

It isn't knee injuries we need to reduce - but rather non-contact knee injuries.

And the issue is a simple one - a weakness ANYWHERE in your body can and WILL cause an overload somewhere else. For so many years, netball was blamed as a 'knee killer' in female athletes. Then as more took up soccer and (more recently) Rugby and Australian Footy we all discovered that the sudden stops in netball weren't the issue...it was the combination of stop start movement/cod and female athletes that seemed to place so many ACL's under stress.

As for doing 'more' research, well....LOTS has been done. And everyone has a theory. But unfortunately putting the theories into effect/testing them out is going to take years and not weeks...because most of the theories involve movement patterning and full body strength/movement development. Add to this the problem that the athletes in question (teenagers) don't want to do bear crawls and isolateral holds - they want to play footy...footy is fun, the other stuff is 'boring' and, well...what's the guarantee it's going to help?

It's a real issue across the globe. Collegiate soccer in the US is being decimated as well...

We run a Developing Athletes Program at the gym and have to carefully balance the prehab work (which in the coaches notes is ACL and Shoulder management based) with the speed and strength work...Why? 'Cos the parents and athletes see something tangible from the speed/strength stuff (numbers go up) whereas with the prehab stuff they just get bored and irritated...basically, doing this stuff is important BUT it's also a tough sell to athletes.

This whole issue is a real challenge.

Hotdog60
11-01-2022, 10:23 AM
It's a real issue across the globe. Collegiate soccer in the US is being decimated as well...

We run a Developing Athletes Program at the gym and have to carefully balance the prehab work (which in the coaches notes is ACL and Shoulder management based) with the speed and strength work...Why? 'Cos the parents and athletes see something tangible from the speed/strength stuff (numbers go up) whereas with the prehab stuff they just get bored and irritated...basically, doing this stuff is important BUT it's also a tough sell to athletes.

This whole issue is a real challenge.

After writing my post I went for a look mainly at US soccer because I thought it would have the most info available and one article I read and it was a scan because of all the technical jargon said that they had ran a study in the US were training processes were put in place with balance and strengthening workouts but this would up 90 mins extra to a training session.
So it show very good results early on but tapered off due to the participants not willing to put in the extra time needed and I also think this training was more beneficial to athletes that haven't done any prior knee damage.

So as you say getting them to do the work is a tough sell and maybe this is a reason to make woman's AFL professional and the preventative stuff is enforced by the coaches.

bornadog
11-01-2022, 12:01 PM
After writing my post I went for a look mainly at US soccer because I thought it would have the most info available and one article I read and it was a scan because of all the technical jargon said that they had ran a study in the US were training processes were put in place with balance and strengthening workouts but this would up 90 mins extra to a training session.
So it show very good results early on but tapered off due to the participants not willing to put in the extra time needed and I also think this training was more beneficial to athletes that haven't done any prior knee damage.

So as you say getting them to do the work is a tough sell and maybe this is a reason to make woman's AFL professional and the preventative stuff is enforced by the coaches.

The issue in regards to putting in extra time is the players are part time and have everyday fulltime jobs.

Axe Man
11-01-2022, 01:00 PM
Sports doctor admits code has problem as season ends for Isabel Huntington, Brianna Davey (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/aflw-news-scans-to-reveal-extent-of-injury-after-collingwood-star-bri-davey-injures-knee-again/news-story/10f9e12779cb2b5760262924ce796c31)

A spike in knee ACL injuries in the AFLW in comparison to other sports played by females has been described by a leading sports doctor as “really concerning” following a weekend of carnage.

It was confirmed on Monday that Western Bulldogs star Izzy Huntington and Collingwood co-captain Brianna Davey both suffered ACL injuries in the first round of the season.

It is Huntington’s third ACL rupture at the age of just 22.

“We are absolutely devastated for Izzy, she is a much-loved figure at the Kennel and everyone is well aware of her injury battles, so we’re just heartbroken for her,” Bulldogs general manager of women’s football Debbie Lee said.

At Collingwood, this is Davey’s second ACL tear on the same knee she injured in 2018.

The Magpies star has also torn her medial ligament.

“We are all heartbroken for Bri,” Magpies women’s football boss Jess Burger said.

“It’s very hard to see our captain go down with such a cruel injury, let alone someone who is at the top of their game.

“There is no doubt her injury has been felt not just within our team, but across the entire AFLW community.”

Brisbane Lion Kate Lutkins is also believed to have suffered a serious knee injury from the opening round, but is still awaiting confirmation.

Renowned sports medico Dr Peter Larkins said it was an ongoing issue and particularly for AFLW players.

“When I gave a talk last year, I talked about how the knee ACL surge was happening in women’s sport, and women have a five or six times higher incidence of knee ACL’s than men,” he said.

“Except in the AFL, where it has been 10 times higher since 2016.

“AFL even has higher problems than soccer or netball or basketball, or in other words the sports that women still play and injure their knee.

“So, there is something specific about the demands and the changes of direction, but things like the muscular strength around the knee is different in women.

“Things like the anatomy, the shape of the leg, the hormonal changes are the same in every sport, and so the AFL incidents are really concerning.

“The data I showed last year was the 2020 data, which in the AFL men’s season over the past 22 years we’ve averaged 13.5 ACL injuries across all the men’s clubs.

“In the women’s season we had 14 ACL’s in five weeks.”

Dr Larkins said they were techniques AFLW clubs could use to lessen the risk of serious knee injury.

“You can’t change the game, so you’ve got to change the individual factors around strength, landing techniques, learning how to fall when they’re tackled,” he said.

“What women need to be doing is more pre-seasons of strength and specifically on the stabiliser muscles around the knee and the hip.”

comrade
11-01-2022, 01:36 PM
It puts a huge dampener on the sport itself. I watch a women’s game and cringe throughout it just waiting for a knee to blow out.

GVGjr
11-01-2022, 01:54 PM
As semi professional leagues I wonder if the VFL and other state leagues have as many knee injuries as the AFLW as a comparison?

The injury rate for the league is a massive concern and as Comrade has pointed out it's a distraction for the competition.

GVGjr
11-01-2022, 01:55 PM
The issue in regards to putting in extra time is the players are part time and have everyday fulltime jobs.

A lot of the various men's leagues have players with other full time employment. I wonder how many knee injuries they have?

bornadog
11-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Dogs scratching for numbers as skipper ruled out (https://www.womens.afl/news/79628/dogs-scratching-for-numbers-as-skipper-ruled-out)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are facing a selection headache for their upcoming match against Geelong, with skipper Ellie Blackburn ruled out through the AFL's health and safety protocols.

While COVID-19 hasn't been a huge issue for the club as yet, injuries have, with coach Nathan Burke saying the Bulldogs had the bare minimum to choose from for their loss to Melbourne.

Young pair Aurora Smith and Annabel Strahan were the Bulldogs' emergencies in round one and were the side's last remaining available players.

Key defender Katie Lynch is a chance to return from a quad injury, as is Sarah Hartwig (health and safety), but Ellyse Gamble (ankle), Deanna Berry (ACL) and Hannah Scott are at least several weeks away.

Burke said defender Bailey Hunt was a "maybe" for this week.

The club leant on top-up players Jemima Woods, Eliza Morrison and Riley Christoergl in its heavy practice match loss to North Melbourne.

During the season, top-up players can be selected (either in the 21 or as emergencies) if the club has fewer than 23 available players.

The AFL's COVID regulations state that games will go ahead until a club has fewer than 16 primary listed players (and five top-up players) available, upon which it will be either postponed or cancelled at a last resort.

Hotdog60
11-01-2022, 03:22 PM

That's what I meant by being professional as make football their full time job. Hopefully the training can be put in and the skill should also increase. It might be time with the final expansion clubs coming in to make the Women's comp the curtain raiser to the men.

Mofra
11-01-2022, 03:28 PM
I wonder how much input VU has to the women's program?
The partnership basically saved Easton Wood's career although Easton was in basically a 3 month full time rehab/prehab environment for that to happen.

Surely AFLW players would be amenable to prehab work seeing up close how many of their teammates and opponents are sufferring from ACLs.

josie
11-01-2022, 04:07 PM
It puts a huge dampener on the sport itself. I watch a women’s game and cringe throughout it just waiting for a knee to blow out.

Yep, same with me. I enjoy watching the girls play and fulfil their dream of playing the game but every time a player (does not matter which side) looks like they’ve got an injured knee I cringe. I certainly hope our club is looking into the 90 mins extra training a session to reduce risk. Surely some of these exercises can be done at home too?

Izzy is such an exciting player and seems like a really good person too. Footy gods are bloody cruel.

Grantysghost
11-01-2022, 06:13 PM

How does it compare with the ammos for eg or other reasonably high level local leagues?

I guess my question is : is it the training loads/higher performance nature of the aflw compared to those leagues?
Or is it gender based?

It's bloody rough on the players to cop these horrendous injuries I feel for them after all that preparation.

bornadog
11-01-2022, 11:55 PM
How does it compare with the ammos for eg or other reasonably high level local leagues?

I guess my question is : is it the training loads/higher performance nature of the aflw compared to those leagues?
Or is it gender based?

It's bloody rough on the players to cop these horrendous injuries I feel for them after all that preparation.

One thing the women seem to go in hard without any regard to the consequences. I noticed that when my wife's niece was playing, and there were lots of injuries.

So after this weekend, 3 x ACLs, plus a Carlton player has 3 broken ribs

jazzadogs
12-01-2022, 02:42 AM
That's what I meant by being professional as make football their full time job. Hopefully the training can be put in and the skill should also increase. It might be time with the final expansion clubs coming in to make the Women's comp the curtain raiser to the men.

I think there would be pretty strong pushback from AFLW players, officials and fans to it being played as a curtain raiser to the men's games - the argument being that AFLW is the elite of the women's game, so should have a standalone fixture. It's one of the main reasons that the current season has started so early, to give the season its own space.

jazzadogs
12-01-2022, 02:53 AM
Mjp is spot on - as with many injuries, people mostly just want to rehab to their previous level and once they are there frequently think 'that'll do' and ignore the advice around preventive exercise/therapy. It doesn't matter how good the evidence is on its own - if you can't convince the athlete/patient that it is worth their time and they will benefit from it then you won't see the benefits.

As a physio, trying to find the Goldilocks level of exercise is tough - you want to give enough that its effective, but not so much that they get overwhelmed/therapy fatigued and don't do it.

mjp
12-01-2022, 10:45 AM
So after this weekend, 3 x ACLs, plus a Carlton player has 3 broken ribs

She does - standing in the hole in front of a leading forward and doing ZERO to protect herself...I have a post in draft about the AFLW but the fundamentals of the game (or lack of fundamentals) combined with the coaches being allowed to do what they want are killing my enjoyment of the game.

* TEACH the girls how to protect themselves in collision situations. The situation with the Carlton girl (that the commentators refuse to mention) is what she did had one potential outcome - serious injury. Get yourself side on and go back spoiling with your front hand/back elbow tucked in, back knee up. This is actually easy to coach.
* Get them to handball with the correct hand. It will make it SO MUCH EASIER to connect possession chains with handball which will help open up the game.
*.The girls need to stop double grabbing the footy. It's killing the game and is why the better players are able to basically dominate.

*** The coaches MUST BE STOPPED. 32 players in 20m2 of grass is simply a joke. No one can clear the congestion. The game is different to the mens because the players are different. Because Tayla Harris can kick the ball 50m doesn't mean everyone can - most battle with distances beyond 30m. That's OK - the game is still good...but open it up. Play the 3+2 anti-congestion rules from the talent competitions. Do SOMETHING about the 'not looking at the ball' tagging happening to the better mids. It should be a players game - not a coaches game. Open it up - put rules in place to prevent the coaches locking the game down and preventing scoring...and don't mention the stand rule...what a farce - if you can't hit the 45's anyway what is the actual point of this rule? It is dumb in the mens and it is dumber in the AFLW.

bornadog
12-01-2022, 11:05 AM
She does - standing in the hole in front of a leading forward and doing ZERO to protect herself...I have a post in draft about the AFLW but the fundamentals of the game (or lack of fundamentals) combined with the coaches being allowed to do what they want are killing my enjoyment of the game.

* TEACH the girls how to protect themselves in collision situations. The situation with the Carlton girl (that the commentators refuse to mention) is what she did had one potential outcome - serious injury. Get yourself side on and go back spoiling with your front hand/back elbow tucked in, back knee up. This is actually easy to coach.

This should start from the junior leagues up - what are the coaches teaching them.

*.The girls need to stop double grabbing the footy. It's killing the game and is why the better players are able to basically dominate.

How many times do you see this in a game. Also a lot of the players seem to hesitate for a split second when they have get the ball, and they are tackled hard and caught holding the ball.

The game is different to the mens because the players are different. Because Tayla Harris can kick the ball 50m doesn't mean everyone can - most battle with distances beyond 30m.

What do you think about shortening the length of the goal to goal line, due to the players not able to kick far. We could get more scoring?

Overall there is improvement year on year, but a long way to go.

Bulldog4life
12-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Yep, same with me. I enjoy watching the girls play and fulfil their dream of playing the game but every time a player (does not matter which side) looks like they’ve got an injured knee I cringe. I certainly hope our club is looking into the 90 mins extra training a session to reduce risk. Surely some of these exercises can be done at home too?

Izzy is such an exciting player and seems like a really good person too. Footy gods are bloody cruel.

According to Nathan Bourke the AFL tell the Clubs how many sessions a week the Club can train the players and for how long too. This is due to players having jobs, studying etc.

Hotdog60
12-01-2022, 11:07 PM
I think there would be pretty strong pushback from AFLW players, officials and fans to it being played as a curtain raiser to the men's games - the argument being that AFLW is the elite of the women's game, so should have a standalone fixture. It's one of the main reasons that the current season has started so early, to give the season its own space.

That's fair enough but you got to start somewhere and utilizing grounds and transport and accommodation may be better cost effect until they can stand on their own two feet.

mjp
12-01-2022, 11:31 PM
This should start from the junior leagues up - what are the coaches teaching them.
I'm not sure.

Coaching at junior level is a volunteers job though so we shouldn't be expecting too much. Girls footy is exploding over here (which is great) but seems to celebrate enthusiasm over execution...It's like the Auskick kids being celebrated for kicking the ball 20m over their team-mates heads...then in u15's when they are still banging in on the boot indiscriminately they can't understand why that isn't still considered a good kick.

Honestly, much of coaching sucks because it is telling the same player the same thing over and over again even when they are sick of hearing it...but if it's important you can't give it up...you simply need to tell them one more time. When you are celebrating effort and enthusiasm and 'having a go' and outcomes don't matter, well, that gets lost.

This is more a comment about junior coaching full-stop rather than those coaching junior girls...

How many times do you see this in a game. Also a lot of the players seem to hesitate for a split second when they have get the ball, and they are tackled hard and caught holding the ball.
That's a first option thing and it happens because so many times the player isn't confident enough to hit the handball target OR they try to inside out handball.

What do you think about shortening the length of the goal to goal line, due to the players not able to kick far. We could get more scoring?
I think making the ground smaller without changing the rules to include some form of anti-density control just makes it even harder to find space to switch the footy and run...not a fan of that idea.

Overall there is improvement year on year, but a long way to go.

Not sold that this year is better than last year. Last year was pretty good. It seems to me the only time you are allowed to talk about the skill levels in the AFLW though without being told it is because they aren't full-time and what can you expect is in Round 1 of the next season when you are obliged to say how much it has improved from the previous year.

I watched 5x AFLW games last weekend including one live. I am a big supporter of the game...I get frustrated because you can't say anything about it that verges on 'constructive' as it means you are a hater.

bornadog
13-01-2022, 02:30 PM
Not looking good for this week

AFLW staff, players enter AFL Health and Safety Protocols (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1046249/)

The Western Bulldogs can confirm that several of its AFLW players and support staff have entered into the AFL’s Health and Safety Protocols, ruling out those affected from participating in Saturday’s Round 2 match against Geelong.

The Bulldogs will continue to work closely with the AFL to determine the next course of action in relation to the Club’s ability to participate in this weekend’s fixture, as per the AFLW Covid Match Rescheduling Guidelines.

The health and safety of the players and staff remains paramount for the Club and the AFL, as the football industry continues to navigate its way through the pandemic.

bornadog
13-01-2022, 06:08 PM
Dogs game and Lions games cancelled.

Cats and Carlton will now play each other.

bornadog
14-01-2022, 04:18 PM
Not good

Kirsten McLeod unfortunately will be moved to the Inactive List for the remainder of the 2022 season after ongoing concussion symptoms.

Hotdog60
14-01-2022, 06:57 PM
All our stars are dropping like flies.

Hotdog60
14-01-2022, 07:00 PM
Jemima Woods managed to get on the list may be a dark horse and she kicked 3 goals in a practice game.

"Train-on player Jemima Woods has signed with the Western Bulldogs AFLW team for season 2022.

Woods is an athletic tall forward with clean hands, a strong work rate, and the ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.

A former Western Jet and Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy graduate, the 18-year-old donned the red, white and blue in last month’s AFLW intraclub match, kicking three goals, and AFLW practice match against North Melbourne."
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1046864/woods-joins-the-kennel)

bornadog
20-01-2022, 06:38 PM
Two games cancelled again including ours

https://www.womens.afl/news/81199/r3-fixture-update-two-matches-cancelled-tuesday-night-clash-confirmed

Hotdog60
20-01-2022, 06:50 PM
It will be a wash out at this rate. Disappointing for the girls and the fans I wonder if this will be the same for the men when it starts.

GVGjr
20-01-2022, 07:26 PM
Two games cancelled again including ours

https://www.womens.afl/news/81199/r3-fixture-update-two-matches-cancelled-tuesday-night-clash-confirmed

It's a struggle isn't it? A massive impact to the competition.
Playing catch-up on games will be challenging to say the least.

GVGjr
20-01-2022, 07:27 PM
It will be a wash out at this rate. Disappointing for the girls and the fans I wonder if this will be the same for the men when it starts.

You would have to think the men's comp will cop some challenges as well.

bornadog
24-01-2022, 06:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJ2EVl9aAAA3rC2?format=jpg&name=medium

jazzadogs
25-01-2022, 12:10 AM
Going to be tough for the women to make anything of the season from here - 2 games in 5 days, and then presumably another one 4-5 days after that, and still one more to make up at some point. That's a huge load on part time players - I hope we don't see an increase in injuries as a result.

azabob
25-01-2022, 09:31 AM
Going to be tough for the women to make anything of the season from here - 2 games in 5 days, and then presumably another one 4-5 days after that, and still one more to make up at some point. That's a huge load on part time players - I hope we don't see an increase in injuries as a result.

Yeah tend to agree. Reality is not all the players who have a had COVID will be 100% either.

bornadog
25-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Can we please sticky this thread

jazzadogs
25-01-2022, 04:34 PM
Yeah tend to agree. Reality is not all the players who have a had COVID will be 100% either.

Yes - though we don't have numbers on who has had it vs been a close contact isolation, I'd imagine there is a fair chunk who have tested positive.

The general completion still looks fairly evenly matched - Pies have looked good, as have the usual suspects of Melbourne, Adelaide and Freo - they are all undefeated after 3 games. The Roos seem likely for a finals spot, but I think 6th is wide open.

On the flip side, Geelong have been better but not got a win, while WC and the Saints are winless after 3.

Like the EPL table, it's going to be important to take note of the games played when analysing how teams are going.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-01-2022, 08:40 PM
7mate will be broadcasting tomorrow's match from 5pm. Go Dogs!

bornadog
28-01-2022, 02:15 PM
ROUND 4 TEAM
GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs
Friday 28 January, 5.10pm AEDT - Henson Park, NSW

B: Ashleigh Guest, Katie Lynch
HB: Isabella Grant, Eleanor Brown, Richelle Cranston
C: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Ellie Blackburn, Elle Bennetts
HF: Britney Gutknecht, Isabelle Pritchard, Gemma Lagioia
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Bonnie Toogood
R: Celine Moody, Jess Fitzgerald, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Naomi Ferres, Bailey Hunt, Alice Edmonds, Sarah Hartwig, Amanda Ling.

Emer: Aurora Smith, Jemima Woods.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-01-2022, 06:09 PM
Contrary to the AFLW site, the match is not on 7mate. livestream on aflw site.

The Underdog
28-01-2022, 06:31 PM
AFLW umpiring is absolutely mystifying.

The Underdog
28-01-2022, 06:48 PM
AFLW umpiring is absolutely mystifying.

Amend that to absolutely *!*!*!*!ed.

We look rusty and off the pace. Disposal has been very poor.

jazzadogs
28-01-2022, 06:59 PM
Amend that to absolutely *!*!*!*!ed.

We look rusty and off the pace. Disposal has been very poor.

Hard to be angry with it after most of the team have either had covid or been locked in their house for a portion of the last three weeks.

Umpiring has been crazy. I think they gave a stat of over 20 holding the ball free kicks in a half of football!

Our skills really need to pick up in general. Missing targets and dropping uncontested marks is not good enough anymore.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-01-2022, 07:03 PM
Yes have to dig deep in the second half. Blackburn and Lamb have been well held.

Grantysghost
28-01-2022, 07:10 PM
Doesn't help when your best player goes down in the first round either.
BTW why couldnt the young lady who didn't want to wear the pride top just wear the normal strip?

The Underdog
28-01-2022, 07:28 PM
Man, absolutely dominated the quarter for almost no reward. 11 points down into the breeze. Going to be a struggle

Grantysghost
28-01-2022, 07:41 PM
Man, absolutely dominated the quarter for almost no reward. 11 points down into the breeze. Going to be a struggle

I thought the ruck person did well. 33?

Edit : Alice Edmonds. Been very good. The skills look off might be the break. Can't score from 10 metres out.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Have to admit at half time i thought the covid fatigue/heat might see us fall away. We dug deep but wasn't enough. Was impressed with Issabella Grant.

Very tough to back up on Tuesday night against the best in Freo.

The Underdog
28-01-2022, 08:05 PM
Have to admit at half time i thought the covid fatigue/heat might see us fall away. We dug deep but wasn't enough. Was impressed with Issabella Grant.

Very tough to back up on Tuesday night against the best in Freo.

Kept trying, awful disposal and poor decision making really did us in. Could have fired NMD into the sun when she gave away that free kick on the shepherd. Thought Moody and Edmonds worked hard, Brown has become a super dependable defender and one of our best players. Got absolutely burnt on turnover against the wind.

Hotdog60
28-01-2022, 10:11 PM
I think by the end of the game the tickets were well and truly spent.
Put in a big effort for no reward. Owned that 3rd quarter and got bugger all for it.
It's going to be tough against freo and I can see up being 0-3.

mjp
28-01-2022, 11:05 PM
I think by the end of the game the tickets were well and truly spent.
Put in a big effort for no reward. Owned that 3rd quarter and got bugger all for it.
It's going to be tough against freo and I can see up being 0-3.

Fair. Helps if you have a plan that isn't 'put more and more and more and more and more numbers around the ball and crowd up the 50m area that you need OPEN in order to score, well, what do you expect.

bornadog
28-01-2022, 11:55 PM
I have said this before, but I question the coaching. We have no fluent ball movement, our skills are way down and we just can't score goals. I know there are excuses, but GWS are not exactly the best team going around. Very frustrating game to watch

azabob
29-01-2022, 11:51 AM
I have said this before, but I question the coaching. We have no fluent ball movement, our skills are way down and we just can't score goals. I know there are excuses, but GWS are not exactly the best team going around. Very frustrating game to watch

Are we fit enough?

Grantysghost
29-01-2022, 01:24 PM
Are we fit enough?

Very good question I thought exactly the same watching the game.
The Giants girls all looked absolutely ripped.

Hotdog60
29-01-2022, 04:34 PM
In the presser Burke said Ellie Blackburn had 2 mins in the centre after half time as she was cooked.

bornadog
31-01-2022, 04:24 PM
After Tomorrow nights game, the Whitten Stand will be demolished, so last chance to see the old stand.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2022/01/31/e5015c04-0cc0-49fb-8906-c17fb6b1d17d/HERO_310122-CEO.jpg?width=952&height=592

Mantis
31-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Are we fit enough?

I thought we looked fit enough against Melb and kept coming at them, but when the team gets COVID your fitness goes out the window.

My partner who is a keen runner and had COVID over the NY period has only just started to be able to run 3-5km at a time (she was comfortably doing runs of 10-15km) and she is struggling with her breathing going 1/2 rat power... she would keel over having to run with the intensity footy players do even though her fitness levels would be comparable to the average player.

bornadog
31-01-2022, 06:34 PM
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle

Tuesday 1 February, 7.10pm AEDT - VU Whitten Oval

B: Naomi Ferres, Katie Lynch
HB: Isabella Grant, Eleanor Brown, Sarah Hartwig
C: Isabelle Pritchard, Ellie Blackburn, Jess Fitzgerald
HF: Gemma Lagioia, Britney Gutknecht, Jemima Woods
F: Alice Edmonds, Bonnie Toogood
R: Celine Moody, Elle Bennetts, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Ashleigh Guest, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Bailey Hunt, Richelle Cranston, Elizabeth Snell

Emer: Annabel Strahan, Amanda Ling

Two changes

This will be a tough one against the ladder leaders

The Underdog
31-01-2022, 06:38 PM
I thought we looked fit enough against Melb and kept coming at them, but when the team gets COVID your fitness goes out the window.

My partner who is a keen runner and had COVID over the NY period has only just started to be able to run 3-5km at a time (she was comfortably doing runs of 10-15km) and she is struggling with her breathing going 1/2 rat power... she would keel over having to run with the intensity footy players do even though her fitness levels would be comparable to the average player.

You wouldn’t think it speaks well to us being able to run out a 2nd game in 5 days.

jazzadogs
31-01-2022, 10:29 PM
Are we fit enough?

I'm more worried about the skills and decision making in general than the fitness, but this burst of 3 games in 10 or so days will be difficult.

Only two changes for the next game, will be very tough on those players who are backing up.

Also as a counter to Mantis, my first run ~10 days after covid diagnosis was a PB 3km time trial. I haven't been able to explain it, but it does show there will still be a lot of variability in the way the team copes.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-02-2022, 08:02 PM
Saturday night's game against Richmond has been shifted to Sunday 1.10pm
This will be the last opportunity to see/photograph the old Whitten stand before it is torn down.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle

Tuesday 1 February, 7.10pm AEDT - VU Whitten Oval

HF: Gemma Lagioia, Britney Gutknecht, Jemima Woods
F: Alice Edmonds, Bonnie Toogood
R: Celine Moody, Elle Bennetts, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Ashleigh Guest, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Bailey Hunt, Richelle Cranston, Elizabeth Snell

Two changes

This will be a tough one against the ladder leaders

A lot of inexperience in that team.

A beautiful night for footy though.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-02-2022, 08:27 PM
Great effort girls to limit freo to 3 scoring shots.
Keep going.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Many a top team has come unstuck at a windy western oval.... just sayin'

josie
01-02-2022, 09:02 PM
Gutsy effort - you can see if we can keep most of these players and clean up the skills a bit we are building something in future seasons. Love the tall blond - Bennetts? And our ruck player pretty good too. Usual culprits Toogood, Lamb, Blackburn doing well. Fitzgerald getting her hands on it a bit which we need too. Freo do not many opportunities and from what I’ve seen of this year are one of the better if not the best team. Very skilled.

Heart in mouth stuff when Cranston and was it Toogood went for same mark. Thank goodness both ok. For those of you who’ve played what’s the etiquette there, if 2 players and either could mark ball, so you do not KO your own? Leave it to the forward or to player in front?

Let’s keep it up this half - go girls!

The Underdog
01-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Moody has been absolutely outstanding.

josie
01-02-2022, 09:19 PM

Agree-mostly clean with her hands too. What about that fly from Wood and the follow up tackle? Hope the Freo player is ok but what a tackle!

Grantysghost
01-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Does there seem to be more heavy tackles in the Women's game?
It's really a tackle fest.
Like Moody in the ruck, we need a ruck in the men's team...

#signherup

jazzadogs
01-02-2022, 09:26 PM

It's a shame Kim Rennie left because they had formed a strong partnership last year, but I feel like this is one of the better games Celine has played as #1 ruck (no stats to back me up). She's been working hard to be a presence at both ends of the ground and won plenty of battles in the ruck.

Re: tackles, I think one of the big issues is there are still a lot of women who don't know how to be tackled which makes them seem more ferocious/heavy.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Gutsy effort - you can see if we can keep most of these players and clean up the skills a bit we are building something in future seasons. Love the tall blond - Bennetts? And our ruck player pretty good too. Usual culprits Toogood, Lamb, Blackburn doing well. Fitzgerald getting her hands on it a bit which we need too. Freo do not many opportunities and from what I’ve seen of this year are one of the better if not the best team. Very skilled.

Heart in mouth stuff when Cranston and was it Toogood went for same mark. Thank goodness both ok. For those of you who’ve played what’s the etiquette there, if 2 players and either could mark ball, so you do not KO your own? Leave it to the forward or to player in front?

Let’s keep it up this half - go girls!

I imagine Toogood would have called on that occasion and had prime position.

The Underdog
01-02-2022, 09:31 PM
Does there seem to be more heavy tackles in the Women's game?
It's really a tackle fest.
Like Moody in the ruck, we need a ruck in the men's team...

#signherup
Feels like the slower pace and more fumbling leads to bigger hits. The intensity at the contest across the competition is the defining feature at the moment in my opinion.

The Underdog
01-02-2022, 09:31 PM
It's a shame Kim Rennie left because they had formed a strong partnership last year, but I feel like this is one of the better games Celine has played as #1 ruck (no stats to back me up). She's been working hard to be a presence at both ends of the ground and won plenty of battles in the ruck.

Re: tackles, I think one of the big issues is there are still a lot of women who don't know how to be tackled which makes them seem more ferocious/heavy.

Rennie was a loss, but feels like Moody has stepped up this year.

Grantysghost
01-02-2022, 09:44 PM
Feels like the slower pace and more fumbling leads to bigger hits. The intensity at the contest across the competition is the defining feature at the moment in my opinion.

There seems to be less ability to clear by foot (shorter kicks) so it kind of stays in that congested area.

I don't remember ever sling tackling when I played I don't understand why players do it, you could generally sense when it was time to let go.

Great contest.

Grantysghost
01-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Wow that's some goal from that pocket.

josie
01-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Great effort. Freo goal kicking very good from limited opportunities. Sooo close. Let’s beat the Tigers on Sunday.

The Underdog
01-02-2022, 09:53 PM
There seems to be less ability to clear by foot (shorter kicks) so it kind of stays in that congested area.

I don't remember ever sling tackling when I played I don't understand why players do it, you could generally sense when it was time to let go.

Great contest.

Yeah, feels like sling tackles weren’t really a big deal when I played (many years ago), but maybe I just didn’t tackle very hard.

The Underdog
01-02-2022, 09:54 PM
We have brilliant endeavour but we don’t seem to play a super smart game. Not much nuance to the game plan.

Hotdog60
01-02-2022, 09:54 PM
The only thing worse than that loss was having to listen to Kellie Underwood.

jazzadogs
01-02-2022, 10:05 PM
Yeah, feels like sling tackles weren’t really a big deal when I played (many years ago), but maybe I just didn’t tackle very hard.

Do you think holding the ball was paid more quickly when you played? I know that has been offered as an argument - players now are instructed to hold their tackles for longer because the opposition player is more likely to try and hold on to the ball, which means that holding the tackle will either cause a stoppage or earn a free kick.

jazzadogs
01-02-2022, 10:07 PM
It is a very disappointing loss. We are a great contested team - tackle hard, win the ball inside - but our spread is poor, our field kicking tends to be rushed and under pressure, and we often throw out a loose handball from congestion.

But it was a great effort against a strong team, on the back of the last few weeks.

Grantysghost
01-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Do you think holding the ball was paid more quickly when you played? I know that has been offered as an argument - players now are instructed to hold their tackles for longer because the opposition player is more likely to try and hold on to the ball, which means that holding the tackle will either cause a stoppage or earn a free kick.

For me I remember the "sling" action to kind of be a bit of a dirty move because you can really hurt someone when they're off balance if you want to. Especially with some of the cricket pitches in April.
Was it quicker, maybe it was. I think you would dispose of it immediately when tackled (talking 90s). A 360 tackle would never happen (a player holding on to the ball looking for options).
That's my experience.

bornadog
01-02-2022, 10:59 PM
It is a very disappointing loss. We are a great contested team - tackle hard, win the ball inside - but our spread is poor, our field kicking tends to be rushed and under pressure, and we often throw out a loose handball from congestion.

But it was a great effort against a strong team, on the back of the last few weeks.

Just can't kick goals.

Players need to stop hesitating when they have the ball, and make a quick decision - in that split second they are getting tackled far too much.

We had our chances but there was no one to take hold of the game and get us over the line.

Hotdog60
02-02-2022, 07:49 AM
I didn't want to mention it because I have a lot of bias but in the presser Burke didn't think much of the umpiring last night.
Does anyone know what the 50 was for that gave them a goal Brown was on the mark and the only thong I could put it down to was she moved her foot 2 inch settling her stance as far as I could see other players were with there opposition unless I missed something it seemed a very harsh and expensive free in a tight game if it was the foot movement.

jazzadogs
02-02-2022, 09:04 AM
There was a player on the Hawkins wing side who ran past - would have only just been within the protected zone, was very soon after the mark (when normally the get given some leeway) and had no bearing on the Dockers ability to move it forward.

The standard of umpiring probably has a bigger impact on my desire to watch neutral games than the actual game - I find it very frustrating and inconsistent. And in Bulldogs matches our physical contested style seems to lead to us giving away a lot of FKs, which is also frustrating.

Axe Man
02-02-2022, 10:39 AM
Also as a counter to Mantis, my first run ~10 days after covid diagnosis was a PB 3km time trial. I haven't been able to explain it, but it does show there will still be a lot of variability in the way the team copes.

Sub 10 minutes?

I haven't had Covid but I've given up trying to figure out why sometimes I run crap for no reason and other times run well when I really shouldn't.

jazzadogs
02-02-2022, 01:33 PM
Sub 10 minutes?

I haven't had Covid but I've given up trying to figure out why sometimes I run crap for no reason and other times run well when I really shouldn't.

Ha. No. Not sub 10 minutes.

Bulldog4life
03-02-2022, 01:10 PM
The intercept marking from Freo killed us.

GVGjr
03-02-2022, 03:13 PM
The standard of the competition has really slipped. The talent pool isn't deep enough yet and we have at least 4 teams too many.

Axe Man
03-02-2022, 04:04 PM
The standard of the competition has really slipped. The talent pool isn't deep enough yet and we have at least 4 teams too many.

About to become 8 teams too many, it's madness. The competition needed to time to establish and gradually expand as more junior girls came through. With 18 teams there are sadly going to be a large number of girls running around not up to the standard.

josie
03-02-2022, 07:17 PM
About to become 8 teams too many, it's madness. The competition needed to time to establish and gradually expand as more junior girls came through. With 18 teams there are sadly going to be a large number of girls running around not up to the standard.

Agree totally.

I’m fearing one of the players is going to be suffer a really serious head knock. Really hope I’m wrong. My heart is in my mouth a lot because it seems to me, due to lower skill levels with diluted pool of good players, a higher percentage of players fumble with the ball at stoppages, allowing more tackles. Really hope all clubs have a concerted focus on how to tackle and reduce injuries when tackled. Also makes the game harder to watch (that and the inconsistent umpiring).

Countering this I watched some of the Freo vs Pies match and I thought the skill level was very good. It appears to be an outlier unfortunately based on what I’ve seen, granted I tend to focus more on our games.

jazzadogs
03-02-2022, 09:46 PM
I think for the next few years the best 10-20 games will be fantastic, but they will be surrounded by some extremely poor matches as a result of weaker squads, especially for clubs who have had injuries to one of their top 5 players (e.g. imagine if we didn't have Ellie).

It's a real shame that the AFL couldn't hold their nerve and let it grow naturally.

bornadog
06-02-2022, 10:36 AM
ROUND FIVE – PRIDE GAME

Western Bulldogs v Richmond

Sunday 6 February, 1.10pm AEDT - VU Whitten Oval

HF: Brooke Lochland, Nell Morris-Dalton, Britney Gutknecht
F: Richelle Cranston, Bonnie Toogood
R: Celine Moody, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Kirsty Lamb
Int: Ashleigh Guest, Bailey Hunt, Alice Edmonds, Jemima Woods, Elizabeth Snell

Ins: Brooke Lochland, Nell Morris-Dalton, Bailey Hunt
Outs: Gemma Lagioia (injured), Elle Bennetts (injured), Annabel Strahan (omitted)

Would love to win this one

The Underdog
06-02-2022, 01:06 PM

100%. The league has just absolutely *!*!*!*!ed it. This could be a really strong high quality 10 team league with scope to grow over the next 10-15 years into something really special. Instead it’s going to be teams with a few high quality players and a LOT of really poor skill level. I honestly think the way they’ve rushed this will set the growth of the game back exponentially.

bornadog
06-02-2022, 01:44 PM
100%. The league has just absolutely *!*!*!*!ed it. This could be a really strong high quality 10 team league with scope to grow over the next 10-15 years into something really special. Instead it’s going to be teams with a few high quality players and a LOT of really poor skill level. I honestly think the way they’ve rushed this will set the growth of the game back exponentially.

One way to try and fix things is have an extended season ie, say 20 weeks, so they can get more experience at the higher level. I would also run it during Winter, and only televise say 3 or 4 games per week, giving all the teams exposure on alternate weeks. People will say it is clashing with the men's, but that is not necessarily a problem. A few big games can be played before a men's game to also get the crowds in.
I am sure fixturing can be sorted between both comps, if some thought went into it (unlike what the AFL currently do when they stuff it up)

Bulldog Joe
06-02-2022, 02:55 PM
Watching the game today and the commentary is pretty poor.

It would be really helpful if they could actually call the players names, but clearly they haven't taken the trouble to know enough. They seem to identify the main 2 or 3 players for each team and not much else.

Even with my limited opportunity to watch I can identify more of our players off the TV coverage than the commentators seem capable of.

Hotdog60
06-02-2022, 04:15 PM
I only saw from the last 5 mins of the 2nd quarter but the girls played well today.
Lamb seems to have taken her game to another level and she getting better with her disposal despite having a weird looking kicking action.
Also Grant appears to be improving week on week I wonder if Dad is giving her extra tuition.
We have the making of a good side its just the finesse that seems to let us down the intention is there but not the skill level.

Bulldog Joe
06-02-2022, 04:18 PM
I only saw from the last 5 mins of the 2nd quarter but the girls played well today.
Lamb seems to have taken her game to another level and she getting better with her disposal despite having a weird looking kicking action.
Also Grant appears to be improving week on week I wonder if Dad is giving her extra tuition.
We have the making of a good side its just the finesse that seems to let us down the intention is there but not the skill level.

I thought Grant was a good contributor and Moody looks to have improved markedly.

Still reliant on Blackburn, Lamb and Toogood, but showing some improving signs.

Grantysghost
06-02-2022, 07:39 PM
One way to try and fix things is have an extended season ie, say 20 weeks, so they can get more experience at the higher level. I would also run it during Winter, and only televise say 3 or 4 games per week, giving all the teams exposure on alternate weeks. People will say it is clashing with the men's, but that is not necessarily a problem. A few big games can be played before a men's game to also get the crowds in.
I am sure fixturing can be sorted between both comps, if some thought went into it (unlike what the AFL currently do when they stuff it up)

In Summer that's just not possible you'd kill them.

Needs to run alongside the men's game and have it as the warm up to games at home.

It's always going to come down to eyes on the game. If I'm honest, I love going to the ground on a balmy summers afternoon or evening.. But on the TV; I'm not engaged.

Edit : You said Winter. Read it idiot! (me)

bornadog
06-02-2022, 08:28 PM
In Summer that's just not possible you'd kill them.

Needs to run alongside the men's game and have it as the warm up to games at home.

It's always going to come down to eyes on the game. If I'm honest, I love going to the ground on a balmy summers afternoon or evening.. But on the TV; I'm not engaged.

Edit : You said Winter. Read it idiot! (me)

What I have read on social media, the women don't like it as a warm up to the main Men's game, that is why I would only have a a block buster here and there as a prelim to the AFL games. They prefer their own competition separate.

soupman
07-02-2022, 10:21 AM

Also this just delays the league going pro, which realistically is gonna be the biggest step forward.

The quality will go up markedly if you make the current 14 teams as professional as possible and focus on developing that small group of players, then expanding down the track. Adding in 4 more teams of players that won't be professional only hurts the overall quality, both by further diluting the pool and then not improving the players in the pool enough. Listen to the Danny Boyd podcast with Nathan Burke to get an idea of how limited they are from a coaching perspective with the girls, and again consider the challenge these players have of having to work a real job at the same time.

mjp
07-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Also this just delays the league going pro, which realistically is gonna be the biggest step forward.

The quality will go up markedly if you make the current 14 teams as professional as possible and focus on developing that small group of players, then expanding down the track. Adding in 4 more teams of players that won't be professional only hurts the overall quality, both by further diluting the pool and then not improving the players in the pool enough. Listen to the Danny Boyd podcast with Nathan Burke to get an idea of how limited they are from a coaching perspective with the girls, and again consider the challenge these players have of having to work a real job at the same time.

You are right - there are FAR too many teams. There are actually not enough players for 8 teams, let alone 18.

You are not right about increasing the level of commitment = improved standard of play. Saying that the girls simply need more time on the track is overly simplistic...you know from your own experience that when players arrive at AFL level they pretty much are who they are. You might improve your kicking (and you should) but if you start life as a crap kick, you will end as a slightly less crap kick. Further to that - and I'm not saying that they aren't capable - but the AFLW coaching setups look to me to be a 'senior' coach with support from people who seem to still have their 'L' plates on. And there aren't too many 'senior' coaches who are going to have time to get into the minutiae of skill acquisition because they are trying to run a footy team.

I had my booster Saturday so spent yesterday on the couch running a nice temp...which meant an AFLW festival! The skill level in our game and the Dockers game was simply terrible. The girls endeavour is fantastic...but there are no more than 6-8 players on each team who can kick with any level of surety. Even Lamb - forced onto her right late in the game (when she was incorrectly awarded a dtg free kick) - that's a simply kick on her right but she either couldn't or wouldn't do it, used her left and was crashed into as a result.

I love footy and watch the AFLW every week...I'm enjoying it less and less at the moment though (you can read my earlier post about the coaches compressing the game...if Nathan Burke has time to teach defensive structures like that he 100% has time to do some skill fundamentals but he knows the benefits of that work are years away not days away and they have a game THIS WEEK so "Here's how to defend, defend, defend"). The skill level is bad. It's REALLY BAD. It's not going to be improved by making the girls full-time (and given the crowds and the ratings who can even afford to consider doing that??) - it is only going to be improved by generational change as players enter the senior ranks with 'sound' skill fundamentals. I have serious concerns about the way it is being coached at junior levels (the push for participation and emphasis on 'FUN-FUN-FUN' is not helping) and it genuinely needs to be addressed from the Commission down. Pride in skills is simply not something that is happening. Double grabs and missed handball targets - holy hell, the sequence late in our game where the kick-in missed Grant who inexplicably went to her knees then fumbled it and then missed a handball to her team-mate who fumbled then picked it up and missed a handball and OMG...

Right now it is NOT a stretch to say that a NAB league u18 side is more skilled than an AFLW side. They are also only part-time. More teams are 100% not the answer...but at the same time neither is going full-time. Throw some money - REAL money - into pathway programs and skill development. Stop worrying about trying to fill gaps with athletes from other invasion game sports because they know how and where to run and stop compressing the field with defenders. Put some focus on skill - wind back the over-hyped S&C stuff (and no, Erin Phillips doing pull-ups in a TV Commercial doesn't help) and things will slowly improve.

The girls want it all 'NOW'. They deserve it...but the game has skipped some pretty crucial developmental steps and the product on the field is suffering.

Grantysghost
07-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Be interesting to see the amount of time the ball spends on the ground compared to in the air as opposed to the Men's game. The games I've watched have really been a ground ball scrap.

I thought last year the skills were better to be honest and the games were more open, not sure what's happened.

mjp
07-02-2022, 01:19 PM
Be interesting to see the amount of time the ball spends on the ground compared to in the air as opposed to the Men's game. The games I've watched have really been a ground ball scrap.

I thought last year the skills were better to be honest and the games were more open, not sure what's happened.

100% agree.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 02:06 PM

This year I have found it hard to watch due to the skill errors. No one seems to be able to pickup the ball off the ground (as you say), and when they do, there is hesitation in making a decision and they are tackled. Therefore lots of holding the ball decisions - very frustrating viewing.

When the game first started 5 years ago, a lot of older players were put into teams, and I mean 30 to 40 year olds. I still don't know how Mike Sheehan's daughter got a game. The teams should have had more 18 year olds who could have developed over the past 5 years and made it a stronger competition.

I mentioned this awhile ago, but my wife's niece was in a AFL development squad and did very well in the combo's, excelling in some tests, however, after the combo everyone went back to their home teams and they were forgotten. There was one practise match she played in versus the Army Team.

She was from the country and the competition there was even worse with only a couple of teams. When draft day came around, she wasn't even looked at, and never heard from the Development squad again. I am not just pumping her up because she is a niece, but she has talent, and ended up playing for Melbourne Rebels Rugby team and is now lost to AFL.

The whole competition was not planned properly and just cobbled together.

josie
07-02-2022, 06:10 PM
I agree with numerous posts noting prevalence of skill errors. I did think during the game yesterday we were a bit better at being able to handball out of congestion than we were in prior 3 matches. I can see an upward curve for our young team so let’s hope we can keep most of them together. Our backline is definitely better than it was and our rucks are really competitive not just in ruck but around the ground too. We appear to be building something good. And we have some great people to set high standards like Elle, Debbie etc. too.

jazzadogs
07-02-2022, 11:31 PM
It would be very hard for anyone to make a case that expansion has been good for the game.

I agree it has been harder to watch, and the prevalence on defence is the reason - it is basically the Bulldogs entire game plan to pressure pressure pressure, then when we get it cross our fingers and hope that we can hit a couple of passes to get a score.

I have a friend who has coached elite level women's football, specifically with teams with less talent, and as much as he wanted to improve their skills he also knew that for morale he needed results/close games and the only way to achieve that was good defensive structure. He found that the team was happier losing a scrap than playing an 'attractive' game and getting beat up.

Hotdog60
08-02-2022, 12:18 AM
One would think Brendan McCartney would do well coaching AFLW he was all about defence.

I agree with all of the above and wait for us to be diluted again next year when we give a few more of our better players.

The Underdog
08-02-2022, 12:27 PM
One would think Brendan McCartney would do well coaching AFLW he was all about defence.

I agree with all of the above and wait for us to be diluted again next year when we give a few more of our better players.

Watching one of the last couple of games, it crossed my mind that the Burke game plan was very McCartney-esque.
One thing I have noticed is a lot of teams playing a goal keeper at times. Basically sitting a player by themselves in the opposition goal square assuming that most shots at goal won't make the distance.

The other thing comparison I made the other day that I mentioned to Raw Toast, was Kirsty Lamb as a stylistic doppelganger of Clay Smith and now I can't unsee it. I'm pretty sure they have the same kicking style.
Oh and if you didn't enjoy Elsa Brown dropping Kat E. Brennon on her backside, you're just not living man.

mjp
08-02-2022, 01:21 PM

To be fair to B-Mac, I thought he was happy enough for the other team to kick loads of goals...as long as they didn't win the stoppages and contested ball numbers because those are the stats that showed we are the team truly building with a group of 'Fine Young Men'.

I know that sounds ridiculously harsh and I think Brendan is a good bloke - I remember a pretty inspirational presentation he gave the Jets boys back whilst he was a Geelong assistant. But I did not enjoy watching us play when he was coach and there was simply no plan to move the ball into the forward half.

Mofra
08-02-2022, 01:44 PM
Watching one of the last couple of games, it crossed my mind that the Burke game plan was very McCartney-esque.
One thing I have noticed is a lot of teams playing a goal keeper at times. Basically sitting a player by themselves in the opposition goal square assuming that most shots at goal won't make the distance.
Ever seen Pub footy? The game plan isn't dissimilar, nor the scores.

We are talking girls who were basically lost to the game during their 'best' development years (many had to stop playing as soon as they turned 14).
I'm guessing the AFL are playing the long game here because until we get kids who played the game consistently throughout all of their teen years I don't see much changing.

The abundance of ACL injuries means that poaching players from rival sports is not along term strategy anyway. Sacrifice your US college basketball scholarship for a 3 month semi-pro session with an 8-10% chance of a 12 month injury? No thanks.

Hotdog60
12-02-2022, 03:26 PM
Well the coaches are teaching it we just need to execute it.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1058188/mic-d-up-mel-hickey?videoId=1058188&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1644528600001

bornadog
12-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Well the coaches are teaching it we just need to execute it.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1058188/mic-d-up-mel-hickey?videoId=1058188&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1644528600001

Love listening to the coaches in action.

The VFLW team has just appointed an indigenous female coach. Good to get more women involved in the women's game

bornadog
12-02-2022, 07:30 PM
Adelaide v Western Bulldogs

Sunday 13 February, 5.10pm AEDT (4.40pm ACDT)

Norwood Oval

C: Isabelle Pritchard, Ellie Blackburn, Elisabeth Georgostathis
HF: Brooke Lochland, Bonnie Toogood, Britney Gutknecht
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Aurora Smith
Int: Ashleigh Guest, Bailey Hunt, Alice Edmonds, Richelle Cranston, Elizabeth Snell
Emer: Jemima Woods, Ellyse Gamble

Ins: Aurora Smith (debut)
Outs: Jemima Woods (omitted)

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 12:00 AM
I just watched about 10 mins of the Dogs VFL game and if you ever want to know about how thin the talent pool is just watch this game if you can it ended up 98-0 to the Bumbers.
At one stage one of our girls got a free kick she took one step bent over to bounce the ball 6 inches from the ground and proceeded to kick it 5 metres and if she ran hard enough she could have beaten the girl who was standing on the mark and mark it herself.
So the AFL want to introduce 4 more teams from where is what I would like to know. Hold on to your horses people we're about to be diluted a bit more next year.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Today's game can be watched via the aflw site. Go girls!

The Underdog
13-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Electric start, 2 goals before the Crows got a possie.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-02-2022, 06:33 PM
dogs lead 25-12 qtr time. Some great link up work being displayed. Moody doing well in the ruck. Looks like we may be 2 down on the bench.

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 06:34 PM
That would have to be the best quarter of football I have seen the Dogs play in a long time. Go girls.

bornadog
13-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Electric start, 2 goals before the Crows got a possie.

Yes, great start.

WB 25 to ADL 12 - let's keep it going

The Underdog
13-02-2022, 06:35 PM
Well, this is the style of football we’ve been hoping for. Only one quarter but it’s our best quarter of the year by a mile.

josie
13-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Great qtr. That last umpiring decision was dicey. Poetic justice crows did not kick a goal. Now to keep that up for another three quarters with one or two of our girls off injured. Going to be tough but if we do pull it off it will be a great win.

bornadog
13-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Well, this is the style of football we’ve been hoping for. Only one quarter but it’s our best quarter of the year by a mile.

We moved the ball so well. Maybe it is coming together after Covid knocked them about.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 06:37 PM
Anyone else having Kayo issues...?

Kaaayooooo !

https://media.giphy.com/media/gCfHsvAQHtdcs/giphy.gif

divvydan
13-02-2022, 06:40 PM
Anyone else having Kayo issues...?

Yeah, this game won't work on Kayo for me, can only assume it's related to it being shown on the AFL site live.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 06:43 PM
Yeah, this game won't work on Kayo for me, can only assume it's related to it being shown on the AFL site live.

Hmm odd. Cheers.

I'll watch on Foxtel.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-02-2022, 06:45 PM
Another goal to us after a brilliant passage of play.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 06:50 PM
This is chalk and cheese to other games I've seen.

Ball in the air a lot.

Moody and Too good clunking marks its fantastic to see.

The Underdog
13-02-2022, 06:58 PM
Great first half. Wonder if we can keep it up, 2 down on the bench.
Crows are the best foot skills team in the comp by a mile, but we’ve lifted to their standard.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-02-2022, 06:58 PM
37-20 half time. 30 degrees and the girls haven't let up. Regardless of the result, the game style of run and handball has been great to watch. Ironically the only blip has been Blackburn's long kicking.

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 07:02 PM
What I've noticed is they have be a lot cleaner below the knees although that fell of in the second half of that 2nd quarter. It amazing how much more time you have if you can grab it clean.

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 07:03 PM
You've got to feel for Smith 3 min debut and do a knee is just heartbreaking.

bornadog
13-02-2022, 07:09 PM
You've got to feel for Smith 3 min debut and do a knee is just heartbreaking.

Poor kid - really sucks

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 07:18 PM
This is the best game I've seen.

How's the chase from Grant! That's all you can ask for that that kind of spirit.

josie
13-02-2022, 07:35 PM
Agree GG. Best game I’ve seen too. Crows might over run us in last qtr with 2 of our players down but girls are not gonna give up. That tackle by Snell and the little bit of argy bargy that followed it as 3/4 siren went - team lifting, controlled aggression. C’mon girls.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 07:41 PM
It's going to be a nail biter.
Isabella Grant like her dad one of my favs. Works so hard.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 07:50 PM
I'm getting flashbacks.

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Omg. I've never seen anything like that.

Brilliant!

The Underdog
13-02-2022, 07:59 PM
*!*!*!*! me, what a finish.
How that ball didn’t get through for a score I’ll never know.

josie
13-02-2022, 08:02 PM
Bloody hell-what a match. Have you ever seen anything like that last mad minute and a bit - package that up and sell it as a motivational tape. 2 players down. You little rippers!

Elle - you bleed RWB. What an example of a great player and leader.

And l like the crab celebration- whatever that means.

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 08:09 PM
I was a hard fought win as I reckon we were spent but good on the girls for not letting the ball over the line.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-02-2022, 08:09 PM
That effort today is as good as anything i've seen our men's team do in my 50 years of watching. Injuries, backline under sustained pressure for such a long period, 30+ degrees, away from home. Against a flag favourite.
Team effort Let's all try to get along to next friday's match. Anything is possible this season.

Hotdog60
13-02-2022, 08:16 PM

You can't say the Dogs don't do it tough we have to play the lions, Suns and Geelong next week.

See the ladder.

bornadog
13-02-2022, 08:20 PM
That effort today is as good as anything i've seen our men's team do in my 50 years of watching. Injuries, backline under sustained pressure for such a long period, 30+ degrees, away from home. Against a flag favourite.
Team effort Let's all try to get along to next friday's match. Anything is possible this season.

I thought we were gone, so many dubious free kicks to Crows, and they kept attacking. That last 2 minutes was unbelievable and we just fought it out. Very enjoyable to watch

Grantysghost
13-02-2022, 08:46 PM

Hard to argue with that. Insane determination.

jazzadogs
13-02-2022, 08:55 PM
https://www.womens.afl/video/85406/last-two-mins-phillips-misses-late-chance-as-dogs-hang-on-in-epic

That was an unbelievable finish. Finally the offensive game caught up with the defensive game.

The way our back 6 worked together to repel entries was awesome - Grant, Lynch, Hartwig, Guest, Brown, Ferres all had great games. I loved how they set up at contests to outnumber and provide an outlet, but also didn't mess around with it once they had clean possession.

Lots of positives to take away from that.

Also Bonnie Toogood has taken another huge step this year - she hasn't kicked enough goals to make AA, but her presence and support around the ground has been at the level of an elite forward.

Hotdog60
15-02-2022, 07:14 PM
Is there any word on Aurora about her knee is it a confirmed ACL?

Daughter of the West
17-02-2022, 01:17 AM
Is there any word on Aurora about her knee is it a confirmed ACL?

It was confirmed on Insta earlier today. Torn ACL and medial meniscus, yuck

Hotdog60
17-02-2022, 07:37 AM
It was confirmed on Insta earlier today. Torn ACL and medial meniscus, yuck

That is just rotten luck. I think that is around 11 players this season for ACL's in 6 rounds of football.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 06:02 PM
AFLW ROUND SEVEN

Western Bulldogs v Geelong

Friday 18 February, 7.10pm AEDT - VU Whitten Oval

HB: Isabella Grant, Eleanor Brown, Ellyse Gamble
C: Isabelle Pritchard, Ellie Blackburn, Elizabeth Snell
HF: Elle Bennetts, Bonnie Toogood, Richelle Cranston
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Sarah Hartwig

Int: Ashleigh Guest, Bailey Hunt, Alice Edmonds, Britney Gutknecht, Elisabeth GeorgostathisEmer: Amanda Ling, Annabel Strahan

Ins: Ellyse Gamble, Elle Bennetts
Outs: Aurora Smith (injured), Brooke Lochland (injured)

josie
18-02-2022, 06:36 PM
That is just rotten luck. I think that is around 11 players this season for ACL's in 6 rounds of football.

Just horrible- I was looking forward to seeing Aurora play too. Wishing her & Izzy all the best with their recovery and that they have some good luck upon return.

jazzadogs
18-02-2022, 08:06 PM
AFLW ROUND SEVEN

Western Bulldogs v Geelong

Friday 18 February, 7.10pm AEDT - VU Whitten Oval

HF: Elle Bennetts, Bonnie Toogood, Richelle Cranston
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Sarah Hartwig

Int: Ashleigh Guest, Bailey Hunt, Alice Edmonds, Britney Gutknecht, Elisabeth GeorgostathisEmer: Amanda Ling, Annabel Strahan

Ins: Ellyse Gamble, Elle Bennetts
Outs: Aurora Smith (injured), Brooke Lochland (injured)

Obviously can't underestimate any opposition but I hope we comfortably put the Cats away tonight. 3+ goals for Toogood.

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 08:31 PM
Obviously can't underestimate any opposition but I hope we comfortably put the Cats away tonight. 3+ goals for Toogood.

You had to do it xD

Hotdog60
18-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Very scrappy at the moment. Blackburn having a disposal shocker.

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 08:54 PM
Very scrappy at the moment. Blackburn having a disposal shocker.

Chalk and cheese to last week but couple of nice goals against the wind there.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 09:02 PM
​Need to use the breeze this quarter and really put them away.

bornadog
18-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Tough going in the last but we hung on. Three wins on the trot

jazzadogs
18-02-2022, 10:02 PM
Huge to win 3 in a row given we were coming off our Covid break.

Hotdog60
18-02-2022, 10:13 PM
The must be getting tired by now great effort to get over the line and now to front up on Tuesday.

jazzadogs
18-02-2022, 10:21 PM
You had to do it xD

Only 2.1 for Bonnie, I blew it! Still think she is in AA form - her leading patterns and marking with arms outstretched is elite.

Grantysghost
18-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Only 2.1 for Bonnie, I blew it! Still think she is in AA form - her leading patterns and marking with arms outstretched is elite.

She's an amazing mark. Never looks like dropping them all one grab.
Lamb is a jet.

bornadog
19-02-2022, 12:28 AM
Huge to win 3 in a row given we were coming off our Covid break.

Could have been 4 in a row.

Grantysghost
21-02-2022, 07:21 PM
AFLw Indigenous jumper 2022.
https://i.postimg.cc/hvGvy2g1/Screenshot-20220221-181632-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Testekill
21-02-2022, 08:20 PM
I really like the jumper.

Anyways we're sure to run out of gas eventually, it's been a lot of games compacted into a smaller timeframe.

bornadog
21-02-2022, 08:23 PM
No change in Team

HOSE B ROMERO
21-02-2022, 08:47 PM
6th Collingwood 7 16 101.5

7th Bulldogs 6 12 89

8th Suns 6 12 74

Apologies for my inept ladder effort. AFLW is a final six. Tuesday we have the suns followed by the pies next Sunday. Both away. It would be a mighty effort if we can get over both these "8 point games"! Forecast for carrara is 29 with 20 minimum.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-02-2022, 08:55 PM
Interesting to hear Burkey say that with the 4-5 day breaks, they only get to train for 20 minutes between matches.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Was great being at last friday's game and hearing Burkey shouting out and interacting with the players.

mjp
22-02-2022, 10:04 AM
Anyways we're sure to run out of gas eventually, it's been a lot of games compacted into a smaller timeframe.

I don't think the toll will be physical - all they will be doing is some walk thru's and touch sessions. Watching vision and planning is exhausting enough...compressing that process in consecutive weeks? No. Just no.

jazzadogs
22-02-2022, 01:25 PM
I don't think the toll will be physical - all they will be doing is some walk thru's and touch sessions. Watching vision and planning is exhausting enough...compressing that process in consecutive weeks? No. Just no.

Combined with whatever stress they have from their off field work. I know I've felt under the pump with work at the start of this year and the thought of local low quality footy training after work often fills me with dread.

Our team, on and off field, have done a great job managing the season and it's challenges so far.

mjp
22-02-2022, 02:48 PM
...the thought of local low quality footy training after work often fills me with dread.

The idea of low quality local footy training fills me with dread as well...

Playing on national TV having won 3 in a row? That's exciting.

Training and meetings = drudgery. Games = FUN.

I think they are living the absolute dream right now...

(That said, they're doing well!)

Hotdog60
22-02-2022, 08:56 PM
I'm very bias but gee in think we get less prior opportunity then the suns.

josie
22-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Is it just me being a one eyed dogs supporter or is the umpiring poor for a lot of AFLW matches, often to the favour of opposing teams? That umpiring decision allowing GC to kick for goal when half time siren looks like it had blown before GC forward completing mark for example. Our girls seem to hold the ball for less time & have HTB paid against them too.

Lots of I50 and lots of almost marks to Bonnie. Slippery conditions not favouring our good marking ability tonight. We are still in this one though. Go girls!

bornadog
22-02-2022, 09:00 PM
I'm very bias but gee in think we get less prior opportunity then the suns.

Umpiring sucks as usual, and that shot after the siren is nonsense

josie
22-02-2022, 09:01 PM
Agree & commentary mostly biased too. Granty did a beaut play there in 2nd quarter - so gutsy & clever and think she was outnumbered too & still clearly won the passage of play. No mention of how good she was.

Grantysghost
22-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Every contest is a free kick.

That 50 hurts.

josie
22-02-2022, 09:22 PM
Looks like we’re done. Oh well. Play the whole game out girls. Let’s not be blown away.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-02-2022, 09:29 PM
Yeah it looks like the schedule has finally caught up with the team. Percentage damage control in the last quarter.

ratsmac
22-02-2022, 09:31 PM
Umpiring is deplorable. Biased for sure but even blind Betty can see how one sided the umps have been

josie
22-02-2022, 09:40 PM
2 goals already in Q4. 2 goals down - go girls!

HOSE B ROMERO
22-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Crrrrrriiikkkkey! We have a pulse.

josie
22-02-2022, 09:44 PM
What a comeback-let’s bring it home now.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-02-2022, 09:47 PM
Forty apiece!

josie
22-02-2022, 09:53 PM
Ripper game-well 4th qtr was anyway. Almost won it. A lot to learn from that for the team.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-02-2022, 09:55 PM
Fighting effort. Well played.

josie
22-02-2022, 09:59 PM
Kirsty Lamb is just a great player. I think umps miss free kicks for her - as she’s often in & under and it’s a difficult game to umpire.

I keep saying it but if we keep these girls together we will be a powerful team.

Moody & Grant are improving so much. Will both soon be elite if their upward trajectories continue. Moodys long kicks are just booming and she is very good below her knees for a tall player.

ratsmac
22-02-2022, 09:59 PM
Out on the full, can you believe it!! Still it was a huge effort for the girls who looked to be down for the count.

Hotdog60
22-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Bonnie could salvaged a poor night with that last kick. Great by the girls to even the score gutty effort to fight it back.

On a side note the commentators were pumping up Rowbottom in the break and one of the highlights was a blatant throw right in front of the umpire for a play on.

bornadog
22-02-2022, 11:45 PM
They were gone for all money at 3/4 time after a poor 3rd quarter, but really fought it out.

Bulldog4life
23-02-2022, 11:37 AM
Wonderful effort from the team. Crikey 6 games in 25 days or so. Down and out at 3/4 but what a comeback. As good as a win because if we beat the Colliwobbles next Sunday we are in the 6.

bornadog
26-02-2022, 07:19 PM
AFLW Indigenous Round

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

Sunday 27 February, 3.10pm AEDT - Victoria Park

HF: Brooke Lochland, Bonnie Toogood, Nell Morris-Dalton
F: Richelle Cranston, Sarah Hartwig

Int: Naomi Ferres, Elle Bennetts, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Sarah Hartwig, Deanna Berry

Emer: Gemma Lagioia, Alice Edmonds

Ins: Deanna Berry, Brooke Lochland, Elizabeth Snell
Outs: Gemma Lagioia, Alice Edmonds, Bailey Hunt (omitted)

bornadog
26-02-2022, 07:19 PM
A must win game to make the top 6

jazzadogs
26-02-2022, 09:04 PM
Great for Dee Berry to get back for her first game post ACL! She's such a skillful player.

Prince Imperial
26-02-2022, 09:43 PM
Great for Dee Berry to get back for her first game post ACL! She's such a skillful player.

She improved massively last season before her injury, Looking forward to seeing her play.

Hotdog60
27-02-2022, 10:14 AM
'It's less scary': How young Dog prepares for her toughest opponents

https://womens.afl/photo-resources/2022/02/24/ee825f56-51f7-4455-9b18-a93e725ef13f/Western-Bulldogs-Sarah-Hartwig-in-action-against-Geelong-in-R7-2022.jpg?width=1000&height=563

CONFIDENCE in her own abilities is what allows Western Bulldogs youngster Sarah Hartwig to take on the toughest players in the competition, no matter what position she is required to play.

It's her combination of strength and speed that makes Hartwig such a wonderful asset to the Dogs, but importantly it's a willingness to do her homework on different opponents that makes her a tough one-on-one match-up.

"Knowing what to do for different players, like obviously if you've got a stronger player, use your speed, if you've got a speedy player, use your strength, push them off the line and work with that," Hartwig told womens.afl.

"Just knowing how to play on a player makes it a lot easier, and it's less scary for yourself."

https://womens.afl/photo-resources/2022/02/24/6f50cfc6-d718-4481-a5d1-53b75e748461/Western-Bulldogs-Sarah-Hartwig-and-Richmond-s-Tayla-Stahl-fly-for-the-ball-in-R5-2022.JPG?width=640&height=960

Hartwig was taken with pick No.11 at the 2020 NAB AFLW Draft and has missed just one game since arriving at the club, playing in a variety of positions in her 15 matches.

Comfortable as an athletic rebounding defender, the 19-year-old has spent some time on the wing and more recently in the forward line.

"I had one training session where we were missing a lot of our forwards and I was like ‘oh yeah, I'll have a go up forward'," Hartwig said. "I think I kicked three goals in like four minutes, and it was just a lot of fun for me."

"I've learned a lot in the past two games anyway, just in positioning and knowing my role."
Her willingness to do whatever the club needs on the field has also been needed off-field this year as the Dogs have worked through one of the most disrupted fixtures of the season. For Hartwig, a focus on recovery has assisted in getting through four games in 16 days and, luckily for her, sleep is easy to come by.

"At our club the most important things are meals and sleep, and sleep is super easy for me. I always just get a full night's sleep which is so great and I'm so grateful for," Hartwig said.

Added to this, the teenager is studying Exercise and Sport Science at university, with an interest in strength and conditioning, and she admits that her footy career is helping her excel in class.

https://womens.afl/photo-resources/2022/02/22/a725f1a8-b96c-4c56-9059-afcb49d655d3/NLp9rQVr.jpg?width=1560&height=878

But the physical isn't everything. Hartwig knows that mindset has a big say in how both individuals and teams approach games, and believes that a positive mentality has been a driver of the Dogs' recent run of form, which included a tense one-point victory over ladder leaders Adelaide.

"Leading into it my mindset was 'we almost beat Freo, we can totally beat Adelaide, we definitely have a chance here'," Hartwig said.

"If you go in having doubts you're not going to perform as well as you would hope."

And that mindset has carried the Dogs through that tough condensed fixture and saw a final-quarter resurgence against Gold Coast on Tuesday night. In that last term, it was previous good performances that Hartwig was keeping front of mind.

"We beat Adelaide, we can do anything, that's our mindset.," she said.
But a draw doesn't cut it, and coach Nathan Burke will not let his Dogs rest on their laurels.

"Burkey's message after the game was 'lesson learned'. Play the whole game and we won't have to come back at the end."
LINK (https://www.womens.afl/news/87150)

Bulldog4life
27-02-2022, 11:13 AM
AFLW Indigenous Round

Int: Naomi Ferres, Elle Bennetts, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Sarah Hartwig, Deanna Berry

I thought Edmonds was going ok as the 2nd ruck. Only going in with 1 ruck could be a bit dicey.

Bulldog Joe
27-02-2022, 11:52 AM
AFLW Indigenous Round

I know Hartwig is showing a lot of promise, but even with the write up on her, I can't see her taking 2 positions on the team.

josie
27-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Amateur hour umpiring again. Just give the pies a free kick on goal. Missed a few HTB and holding our players for us and giving every minor incursion to the pies.

C’mon girls. Efforts there. Just gotta finish well today.

josie
27-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Lovely goal to start 2nd qtr. Go dogs.

josie
27-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Umpires have put their specs on - yay. Carn girls.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2022, 04:58 PM
Loss of concentration after being the better team has cost us. We have given away some silly free kicks.

Hotdog60
27-02-2022, 05:00 PM
We don't seem to have much run and the wobbles are all over us.

bornadog
27-02-2022, 05:03 PM
We don't seem to have much run and the wobbles are all over us.

Not a good quarter. Like the first started well then lacked concentration in the last 5 minutes. Umpiring bad again.

Prince Imperial
Pick 28 for a 32 year old Bennetts is looking a complete bust. Very timid footballer.

josie
Yeah-pies more composed. A few turnovers when we are in open space have killed us. Hope we fight it out so not a blow out to them.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2022, 05:28 PM
We just haven't been able to capitalise on our periods of dominance. Collingwood have. Almost game over.

jazzadogs
27-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Pick 28 for a 32 year old Bennetts is looking a complete bust. Very timid footballer.

Picks don't matter in the AFLW at this stage, realistically. We have a very young list and I think she has offered some physicality and experience in the middle - not sure I'd label her timid?

jazzadogs
27-02-2022, 05:44 PM
There were some silly frees given away, but there were also some extremely questionable frees and some great tackling that went unrewarded.

Toogood and Dee Berry with uncharacteristically poor shots for goal really stung.

The main thing for me though has been the Pies run through the middle - running in waves at speed and we have really struggled to keep up with them.

Pies are a good team. We are a young squad who have done extremely well to battle through 7 games in 30 days and be in with a chance of finals.

josie
27-02-2022, 05:44 PM
I think Bennetts is ok. Would love another Lamb though. And just like our mens team we leave dangerous oppo players on outside of packs unattended too often.

bornadog
27-02-2022, 06:12 PM
There were some silly frees given away, but there were also some extremely questionable frees and some great tackling that went unrewarded.

Toogood and Dee Berry with uncharacteristically poor shots for goal really stung.

The main thing for me though has been the Pies run through the middle - running in waves at speed and we have really struggled to keep up with them.

Pies are a good team. We are a young squad who have done extremely well to battle through 7 games in 30 days and be in with a chance of finals.

Good summary, in the end we really looked like a tired team with all those games in 30 days. Collingwood just had more pace through that middle and put our backline under pressure.

Prince Imperial
27-02-2022, 06:12 PM
Picks don't matter in the AFLW at this stage, realistically. We have a very young list and I think she has offered some physicality and experience in the middle - not sure I'd label her timid?

I can only judge by what I've seen and I've been far from impressed. 8 disposals today standing in the centre for most of it and giving little support to Lamb and Blackburn.

I realise that others wouldn't be doing much better but she looks purely an outside player to me.