PDA

View Full Version : Cooney - how good is he really?

LostDoggy
23-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Today we had a fantastic win with Cooney gaining 31 possessions and generally judged the best Bulldog.

Just how good was he?

Yes, he was a good player - gaining those 31 possessions, but his delivery and decision making was often very poor, especially in the 2 quarter.

How many of his possessions were kicked to a team mate, a contest, or to an opponent?

I don't have the stats, but from where I was sitting (Footscray end, Level 2) I had an excellent view looking down the ground. Cooney, in the second quarter, would gain the ball, turn blindly, and have to dispose of the ball quickly. Too often he would kick out to the wing/flank/forward pocket on the Interchange side of the ground, rather than directly towards goal.

These kicks weren't delivered onto the chest of a team mate - usually wide, to a contest, that resulted in a turn over.

Whilst I'm being critical of the second quarter, he did play very well for most of the game.
He was certainly one of our best players and deserves the praise.

However, I would like to see him more composed with his decision making, and his kicks more direct towards goal (and to a player).

Your thoughts, please.

GVGjr
23-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Cooney is yet to get the most out of his talent in my opinion however, with a full uninterrupted pre-season behind him I think he will be hitting his straps more consistently this season than ever before.

I'll agree that his decision making and skills can be desert him from time-to-time and that we should expect better from him but I think all the signs are positive for a standout season.

In short it's too early to tell but a review in a few weeks might provide us with a better picture.

LostDoggy
23-03-2008, 11:36 PM
All valid points DD but if he maintains this type of form he will clearly have his best season. He was good in the contests today which is an added bonus.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 12:00 AM
A great Cooney moment was, no doubt, when int the first quarter he got the ball on the ground surrounded by Crows and he shoveled it out to one of our guys for who set up a goal.

He also runs the ball out of the centre square which is a talent

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Just watched the replay on Foxtel - 3rd & 4th qtrs only.

The impact Cooney can have on the team with his long direct kicking is remarkable.

Two long penetrating kicks from the center, hitting the target 40m from goal (one being Aker resulting in a goal) in the last quarter - no comparison to the 2nd quarter.

That confident, direct type of play, is what will make Cooney the great player be hope he will one day be.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Two long penetrating kicks from the center, hitting the target 40m from goal (one being Aker resulting in a goal) in the last quarter - no comparison to the 2nd quarter.

Cooney was excellent today..that kick to Aker was absolutely remarkable he sighted Aker and pinpointed that kick to perfection. He has the scope to become anything he is in for a massive season. Great game today from Adam.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Not hearing as many Coooooons as i have before. Disappointing;)

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Thought he was great and seems to have had his input a bit underrated by a few on here, in my opinion.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Thought he was great and seems to have had his input a bit underrated by a few on here, in my opinion.

Same, I thought he played a great game. Griffen#16 - everyone has different viewpoints and have their own ideas on player performances - if we all thought the same earth would be a boring place.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Just watched the replay and boy, Cooney was absolutely terrific. Couple of skill errors, but I don't think you could name a player who didn't turn over the ball at least once today. He looks in great shape and you'd have to bank money that he'll have his best year yet - barring injury (touch wood).

He does need to concentrate on his decision making/skills. It's certainly not a 'talent' problem - he has good skills on both sides of his body, I think it comes down to a concentration thing. At times he leans back on the kicks and is a bit lazy, and they either drop short or go a little long. He kicked a ball off one step today and it missed the target by a long way, luckily Gilbee had plenty of time to retrieve the ball. His execution for the most part is great, but I agree he needs to concentrate that little bit harder. It's generally when he's not under pressure he makes these unnecessary mistakes.

Nevertheless, Cooney's looking pretty impressive. He's becoming the complete midfielder now. Good height, strong body, explosive pace, good leap & mark, good skills & a hardened defensive side to his game with pressure & tackling. Not to mention, a goal kicking midfielder who is effective up forward. The key for Coons now is consistency, because he's improved basically every facet of his game. His fitness is up, he's had a good pre-season - I reckon he's due for a big one.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Today we had a fantastic win with Cooney gaining 31 possessions and generally judged the best Bulldog.

Just how good was he?

Yes, he was a good player - gaining those 31 possessions, but his delivery and decision making was often very poor, especially in the 2 quarter.

How many of his possessions were kicked to a team mate, a contest, or to an opponent?

I don't have the stats, but from where I was sitting (Footscray end, Level 2) I had an excellent view looking down the ground. Cooney, in the second quarter, would gain the ball, turn blindly, and have to dispose of the ball quickly. Too often he would kick out to the wing/flank/forward pocket on the Interchange side of the ground, rather than directly towards goal.

These kicks weren't delivered onto the chest of a team mate - usually wide, to a contest, that resulted in a turn over.

Whilst I'm being critical of the second quarter, he did play very well for most of the game.
He was certainly one of our best players and deserves the praise.

However, I would like to see him more composed with his decision making, and his kicks more direct towards goal (and to a player).

Your thoughts, please.
3 ineffective kicks and one free against.

I thought he was fantastic. His pass to Aker at the start of the last and his pass to Johnno at the end were first class.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I thought he was great, worked harder than he has in the past.

Clearance work was first rate, great to see him and Will team up for some excellent centre square work late in the game.

My only cross would be some of his handball's put his team-mates under pressure when a quick clearing kick would have been a better option.

Hopefully that is the standard for his work-rate he has set for the year.

Was quite surprised Adelaide allowed him to roam almost un-checked, other opposition teams I feel wont be so friendly.

dog town
24-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Just about the best player on the ground yesterday.

Still not getting enough outside touches. Something else that is bothering me with him that he seems happy to recieve flat footed and give a quick handball to the first person he can. He often put people under enormous pressure at times yesterday. I would like to see him look to burst away with the footy and deliver by foot.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Same, I thought he played a great game. Griffen#16 - everyone has different viewpoints and have their own ideas on player performances - if we all thought the same earth would be a boring place.

Agreed BB - sorry if I sounded like I was being rude. :)

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Agreed BB - sorry if I sounded like I was being rude. :)

No probs at all Griff.

I was just raising the issue with his decision making and delivery when the team was under pressure.

He did play a great game - no doubt.

I want him to take the next step.

The Coon Dog
24-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I want him to take the next step.

I think we all do & I reckon he's more than capable of elevating himself into the 'elite' within the competition (then again if he played for Collingwood he'd be the Brownlow favourite, potential Hall of Famer & the 'next Bucks'!).

There's not too many capable of streaming out of the centre with the ball as Cooooooooons does, maybe Foley from Richmond.

One aspect of his game that I do feel people perhaps underate is his tackling, it's first rate!

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 12:30 PM
He was very good yesterday.

But sometimes when he gets the ball, he looks as though he panics and just bombs it into the forward 50. That may be because his teammates arent talking, telling him how many hes got but he needs to relax and spot someone up.

Its useless racking up 30+ touches if they get wasted like a few of them do. Hes to good of a player to waste opportunities like that.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
After round 1, I questioned Cooney's decision making under pressure (occurrances of marking the ball, then doing a blind turn without knowing where his player was, and having to kick under pressure, delivering ball wide of it's mark - on the flank on wing).

In round 2, I saw a much more consistant display (with none of the above). Many a time I likened Cooney to Scott west (in and under, putting his body on the line) and Mitch Hahn (strong bullocking play) - great attributes, but held back responding to my own comments.

In round 3, I saw a merging 'General' or 'Quarterback', directing play out of the back line with control, or running the 'lanes' delivering the ball to a leading player, within the 50m arc. A much more consistant and dominant display, expected from a number 1 draft pick.

If 'the Coon Dog' (not of the Woof breed), can maintain the form of the first 3 rounds, he would not only have grown as a player, but as a on field leader, that is badly needed with the older players having recently retired.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
If 'the Coon Dog' (not of the Woof breed), can maintain the form of the first 3 rounds, he would not only have grown as a player, but as a on field leader, that is badly needed with the older players having recently retired.

Agreed. That is the most pleasing aspect for me with guys like Cooney and Griffen standing up and demanding that they be counted. Their no longer content to allow others to do the work and are starting to get the most out of their potential, and by doing this, they pull a lot of others with them.

hujsh
05-04-2008, 05:05 PM
In round 3, I saw a merging 'General' or 'Quarterback', directing play out of the back line with control, or running the 'lanes' delivering the ball to a leading player, within the 50m arc. A much more consistant and dominant display, expected from a number 1 draft pick.

They look to hand it off to him the same way Geelong like to give it to Ablett and West Coast used to give it to Judd