PDA

View Full Version : Have they gone too Early

bornadog
24-01-2022, 03:09 PM
Is there a better line up given the age profile.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJ1TaQjaUAMl6WS?format=jpg&name=medium

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-01-2022, 03:16 PM
Is there a better line up given the age profile.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJ1TaQjaUAMl6WS?format=jpg&name=medium

Yep they've gone way too early. Apart from Naughton, the others have done 3 fifths of sweet FA at the moment. Great potential on paper, but still a long way to go even be spoken about as the best young forward line in the comp.

bornadog
24-01-2022, 03:17 PM
Yep they've gone way too early. Apart from Naughton, the others have done 3 fifths of sweet FA at the moment. Great potential on paper, but still a long way to go even be spoken about as the best young forward line in the comp.

What other teams have such potential at that young age group?

GVGjr
24-01-2022, 03:20 PM
What other teams have such potential at that young age group?

On paper/potential or with results? Are we talking 23yo or younger?

Darcy hasn't even completed a full training session yet.

bornadog
24-01-2022, 03:25 PM
On paper/potential or with results? Are we talking 23yo or younger?

Darcy hasn't even completed a full training session yet.

They are talking potential

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-01-2022, 03:28 PM

OK fair enough.... but it's a bit of a pointless honour?

jeemak
24-01-2022, 03:29 PM
It's mainly designed to get people upset because Melbourne's wasn't selected, or one of the other Melbourne club's wasn't selected, and the undercurrent of dislike for giving kudos or accolades to us will generate clicks.

hujsh
24-01-2022, 04:18 PM
We don't even know where Darcy is being set up to play yet... do we?

Bit harsh on Weightman. Had a good season by any objective standards. Agree that it's still 2 of 4 though

Eastdog
24-01-2022, 04:57 PM

Bit harsh on Weightman. Had a good season by any objective standards. Agree that it's still 2 of 4 though

Yeah agree there hujsh. Weightman had a very good year. Competed very well. That mark he took against Melbourne at the G was great. Darcy and Ugle-Hagan can’t say much yet. Could be a big season for Marra! In the few games he played he showed some glimpses.

FrediKanoute
25-01-2022, 09:10 AM
I think they have gone waaaaaay tooo early. Naughton is a star, but in reality 2021 was the first time we managed to get the majority of a season out of him.

Cody is on the right path, but could easily fade into obscurity as a one trick pony if he gets worked out and teams start negating his strengths

Jamara, played 1 game last year where you honetsly thought i can see some of the hype. May progress this year, but probably wont

Darcy - pure possibility

boydogs
25-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Sam Darcy there should tell you it's just hype

azabob
25-01-2022, 09:22 AM
Perhaps a bit of context.

It was a 2 minute segment on channel 7 news and was focused on Aaron Naughton and how he is tracking this pre season.

It then segwayed into Bruce being injured and Naughton will have to lead our relative young forward line, although him being young himself.

Honestly we are a bizarre lot, we often complain we don't get recognised for our "youth" or any media coverage and when someone finally does we want to shoot that down also.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-01-2022, 09:27 AM

Yeah agree, Weightman definitely showed enough in 2021.
And I don't mind some positive media coverage, just wary of the potential for it to be used as a weapon should JUH and Darcy not have big years (which is not unlikely). I could see a follow up piece late in the year about how 'the Dog's forwards were hyped up as being the best young forward line, yet haven't delivered.'

bornadog
25-01-2022, 10:15 AM
Perhaps a bit of context.

It was a 2 minute segment on channel 7 news and was focused on Aaron Naughton and how he is tracking this pre season.

It then segwayed into Bruce being injured and Naughton will have to lead our relative young forward line, although him being young himself.

Honestly we are a bizarre lot, we often complain we don't get recognised for our "youth" or any media coverage and when someone finally does we want to shoot that down also.

I put it up as a bit of fun to discuss the POTENTIAL of the guns in our forward line and are there any other teams that can better us for youth.

Exciting future ahead.

GVGjr
25-01-2022, 12:29 PM
I put it up as a bit of fun to discuss the POTENTIAL of the guns in our forward line and are there any other teams that can better us for youth.

Exciting future ahead.

I think we could also add Vandermeer to that list as well.
Our player development focus this season will be an important factor on how we perform.

New boys Webb and Spangher have a bit to work with along with Maddocks, Edge and Varcoe.

Bulldog Revolution
25-01-2022, 01:42 PM
Our player development focus this season will be an important factor on how we perform.

New boys Webb and Spangher have a bit to work with along with Maddocks, Edge and Varcoe.

Absolutely, Vander belongs on that list

The piece stated the somewhat obvious - we've never had more key position forward potential on the list but its potential - and guarantees are few and far between at AFL level

Im trying to think of what trios even rival it - maybe Chris Grant, Adrian Campbell and Ilja Grgic ?

But difficult positions for kids to play and its hard to imagine Darcy will be physically ready in 2022

Mofra
25-01-2022, 05:53 PM

The piece stated the somewhat obvious - we've never had more key position forward potential on the list but its potential - and guarantees are few and far between at AFL level

Im trying to think of what trios even rival it - maybe Chris Grant, Adrian Campbell and Ilja Grgic ?

But difficult positions for kids to play and its hard to imagine Darcy will be physically ready in 2022
I wouldn't be surprised to see Darcy get a couple of games later in the year... as a defender

ratsmac
25-01-2022, 06:56 PM

I'd also throw Bailey Smith onto that list as well after his finals campaign last year. Then that list has some real legitimacy as the best young forward line in comp for sure.

jazzadogs
25-01-2022, 10:58 PM
Well I don't think any other list has a pick 1 and pick 2 key position player on their list, plus arguably the most exciting young key position player in the comp. And Cody has shown his abilities as a small forward are on the pathway to elite.

So yeh, I think a discussion that it has the most potential is fair - but as a side competing for a flag we want more than potential.

Smads57
26-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Add Smith and English to that suggested forward mix and you have many of our recent first round draft picks all playing/contributing up forward!

Mofra
27-01-2022, 12:28 PM
Well I don't think any other list has a pick 1 and pick 2 key position player on their list.
We have two pick 2 KPPs - Schache and Darcy.
IIRC the last team to have a pick 1 & 2 in the forwardline was St Kilda with Riewoldt and Kosi, a team that were a bad bounce away from winning a flag.

Grantysghost
27-01-2022, 12:36 PM
We have two pick 2 KPPs - Schache and Darcy.
IIRC the last team to have a pick 1 & 2 in the forwardline was St Kilda with Riewoldt and Kosi, a team that were a bad bounce away from winning a flag.

You can probably throw the Hawks with Buddy and Roughead 2 and 5 as a close enough comparison also.

Getting the two quality tall forwards coming through together is a massive asset.

Jam Donuts
27-01-2022, 03:19 PM

As we all know, potential doesn't equal flags, but hey having the best midfield and forward line is not too bad.