PDA

View Full Version : Leadership Group 2022

bornadog
07-02-2022, 10:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FK8ZIEcaIAAKDMM?format=jpg&name=large

Marcus Bontempelli will lead a fresh leadership group in his third year as captain of the Western Bulldogs.

The four-time Charles Sutton Medallist will be joined by newly elevated vice-captain Jack Macrae in a five-man leadership group which also includes Caleb Daniel, Taylor Duryea and Aaron Naughton.

Macrae, an elite midfielder within the competition, enters the leadership group for the first time off the back of a third-straight All Australian jacket and Gary Ayres Medal in 2021.

The 27-year-old takes over from Mitch Wallis, after he stepped down from official leadership duties. He will continue to play a pivotal role within the Club.

“Marcus has developed into a fine leader of our football club, and we’ve seen him rise to another level with the captaincy. He will continue to lead us into the future,” said Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge.

“We’re thrilled for Jack to step into the role of vice-captain. He is a person who is selfless in his actions, expects high standards of himself and those around him, and has developed the respect and admiration of his team-mates.

“Marcus and Jack will be strongly supported by Taylor, Aaron and Caleb in an official leadership capacity, and we’ll value the contributions of the entire playing group throughout the year.

“We’re fortunate that we have a closely connected group, and individuals who offer their own important leadership qualities, which will be extremely valuable to the collective as we head into the 2022 season.”

An ultimate team man, Macrae couldn’t be more thrilled to be named as the Bulldogs’ vice-captain.

“It honestly means the world to me,” Macrae said.

“It’s such a privilege every week to pull on this jumper and play with our group. To be in this position, it’s certainly not lost on me.

“I am really excited about what this group can do over the next few years and beyond. I can’t wait to work with Marcus and the other leaders in building what we have started.”

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1056272/bontempelli-to-continue-lead-role-in-2022/)

Mofra
07-02-2022, 10:12 AM
JJ & Hunter the two glaring omissions.
Poor Wally but that's understandable

jeemak
07-02-2022, 10:17 AM

I think JJ's position in the side may be tenuous this season, but Hunter a lock. Do you think it's just a matter of spreading the experience?

soupman
07-02-2022, 10:22 AM
I think JJ's position in the side may be tenuous this season, but Hunter a lock. Do you think it's just a matter of spreading the experience?

Or is it still a legacy of a certain ill advised trip bein the wheel?

bornadog
07-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Great to see Naughton in the leadership group.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 10:34 AM
Video here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1056279/2022-leadership-group-revealed?videoId=1056279&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1644183900001) on announcement.

Mantis
07-02-2022, 10:38 AM
I find it strange that Macrae goes from a 8yr career never being in the leadership to VC…. I would’ve thought that if he showed leadership qualities he would’ve been groomed for this position given his standing as a top 3 player for the last 5-6 years.

Maybe he was a slow developer?…. Or never wanted part of it until now and we have no other options??

Vred
07-02-2022, 10:38 AM

After Hunters 2020 screw ups doubt we'll see him in the leadership group for some time to come. Other than that, love todays announcements.

Makes me think that CD and JM have both put pen to paper, or at least, are about to.

azabob
07-02-2022, 10:43 AM
I find it strange that Macrae goes from a 8yr career never being in the leadership to VC…. I would’ve thought that if he showed leadership qualities he would’ve been groomed for this position given his standing as a top 3 player for the last 5-6 years.

Maybe he was a slow developer?…. Or never wanted part of it until now and we have no other options??

I just heard an audio grab from Jack Macrae. He mentioned tough times he's faced over the passed 18 months and being at the footy club has really helped. Maybe that has something to do with it?

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 10:46 AM

I'd add Dunkley and Treloar to that as well and we know Keath is leading the back line.

It's a new look group though and an indication of where the club is at. Outside of Duryea the others are just a slight surprise to me.
We certainly don't lack depth in the leadership at the club.

azabob
07-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Previously players would vote in the leadership group. Is this still the case?

This group and even last years 2 man group seem coach driven, rather than player driven.

Grantysghost
07-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Bevo looks like Merv Hughes' and Tony Hawk's love child in this video!

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1490447754724003840?t=q1KiPwyOaRdwW6b32xb3tA&s=19
Happy for Jack, might be just the tonic for him to supplement the brilliance he already brings.

Grantysghost
07-02-2022, 10:54 AM
I'd add Dunkley and Treloar to that as well and we know Keath is leading the back line.

It's a new look group though and an indication of where the club is at. Outside of Duryea the others are just a slight surprise to me.
We certainly don't lack depth in the leadership at the club.

Actually Dunks is an interesting omission.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 11:03 AM
I just heard an audio grab from Jack Macrae. He mentioned tough times he's faced over the passed 18 months and being at the footy club has really helped. Maybe that has something to do with it?

You can watch him in the link above.

I think it is great Jacko is in the leadership group. He really leads by example and as Bevo says in the announcement, Jacko always wants to win.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 11:04 AM

I don't think so. He wanted to leave us the previous year so too bad. Let him prove he is a club man.

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Previously players would vote in the leadership group. Is this still the case?

This group and even last years 2 man group seem coach driven, rather than player driven.

Good question, I'm not sure if there has been any change to that process.
It sort of makes sense to elevate the players the balance of the list thinks will do the best job.

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 11:09 AM

If Dunks signs beyond this year I think he is a natural to return to the leadership group.
Hunter is the one of the real leaders at the club and could be returned as one of the leaders soon enough.

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 11:13 AM

I think it is great Jacko is in the leadership group. He really leads by example and as Bevo says in the announcement, Jacko always wants to win.

I don't think anyone questions his desire or focus and on the footy field he is always ready to go but he is also a very quiet and low key guy. I know one of the player sponsors was looking to move away from Jacko because on the sponsors night he didn't really engage the group. Personally I don't mind the quiet achievers.

azabob
07-02-2022, 11:16 AM

Yep, I saw the edited version - I still think he's had personal issues off field.

Grantysghost
07-02-2022, 11:21 AM
I don't think so. He wanted to leave us the previous year so too bad. Let him prove he is a club man.

I guess so but when we kept him we touted him as a future leader am I right in remembering?

Thought he may be in the group before Naughton for example but might be player power.

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 11:24 AM
I guess so but when we kept him we touted him as a future leader am I right in remembering?

Thought he may be in the group before Naughton for example but might be player power.

I wonder if the close bond with Treloar might be a bit off putting for some in the group.

Grantysghost
07-02-2022, 11:29 AM
I wonder if the close bond with Treloar might be a bit off putting for some in the group.

It was a whirlwind romance xD

whythelongface
07-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Great to see Naughton in the leadership group.

This to me is the best part of the leadership group. A young gun whom we will be building our forward line for many years to come. Being part of a leadership group provides buy in and key part of the team moving forward. Great decision.

This club is in great hands. Viva the bulldog revolution

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 12:46 PM
This to me is the best part of the leadership group. A young gun whom we will be building our forward line for many years to come. Being part of a leadership group provides buy in and key part of the team moving forward. Great decision.

This club is in great hands. Viva the bulldog revolution

I think it's a reflection of the great work that is done by our talent identification and recruiting teams prior to drafting players.
While it's not an exact science and there will be the occasional hiccup we seem to have been bringing in not only talented players but talented players with the right attitude and work ethic.
The ones with the more natural leadership skills in our group tend to thrive in a good and positive environment.

mjp
07-02-2022, 01:21 PM
Hunter is the one of the real leaders at the club and could be returned as one of the leaders soon enough.

I think when you haven't been in the leadership group it is something to aspire too. But once you have done it, well...it's a lot of extra work for - what exactly?

Hunter is a leader whether he has to attend leadership meetings or not.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 05:24 PM
Press conference Bont and Jacko - here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1056466/press-conference-bontempelli-macrae?videoId=1056466&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1644201754001&fbclid=IwAR1zg9-KPUOh0f2t8pT9BuI6VzK2mUdAxHYEeZkGYfj3UmtxlKdCYDAsVHQ)

GVGjr
07-02-2022, 06:01 PM
I think when you haven't been in the leadership group it is something to aspire too. But once you have done it, well...it's a lot of extra work for - what exactly?

Hunter is a leader whether he has to attend leadership meetings or not.

There are times when you need to step up and I think in some ways the challenge for Hunter is to show what he can actually bring to this playing group. While I understand your point I think he has some unfinished business in terms of leadership and being a vice captain.

Mantis
08-08-2022, 05:01 PM
I made an effort to watch Jack Macrae very closely on Saturday and to say I was disgusted with his body language is a massive understatement.

Every mistake he makes he drags his feet along the ground and looks like he is having a sook.

Bevo made reference in his talk on Jacko's appointment on his ability to lead by example and his will to win, but looking on from afar his behavior on the field isn't that of a leader and feel it was a mistake to put him in this leadership position.

Thoughts?

bornadog
08-08-2022, 05:04 PM
I made an effort to watch Jack Macrae very closely on Saturday and to say I was disgusted with his body language is a massive understatement.

Every mistake he makes he drags his feet along the ground and looks like he is having a sook.

Bevo made reference in his talk on Jacko's appointment on his ability to lead by example and his will to win, but looking on from afar his behavior on the field isn't that of a leader and feel it was a mistake to put him in this leadership position.

Thoughts?

I think he is carrying an injury of sorts, as he is out of touch. His body language (I am guessing) is reflecting disappointment in himself for not performing at the level he knows he can. Agree though, when you are in the leadership group, you have to stay positive, otherwise you bring down everyone with you.

GVGjr
08-08-2022, 06:03 PM

Thoughts?

I think he's a very quiet guy by nature and I've never thought his body language would scream follow me on match day. Not bad but just not great. I suspect he got the role more around the way he trains and supports others at the club.

Form wise he has dropped in recent weeks and that might be an indicator of why he doesn't look up and about.

I still have some faith in him being a good support for Bontempelli.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2022, 06:05 PM
I think he is carrying an injury of sorts, as he is out of touch. His body language (I am guessing) is reflecting disappointment in himself for not performing at the level he knows he can. Agree though, when you are in the leadership group, you have to stay positive, otherwise you bring down everyone with you.

Agree with this. Not reaching his usual standards.

boydogs
10-08-2022, 12:40 AM
Not at his best, he's always been slow and thus not had much time to dispose of the ball but he's actually giving away holding the ball frees now from being run down

AshMac
10-08-2022, 08:37 AM
Vice captains curse

We need to make someone who doesn’t play next year the VC

azabob
10-08-2022, 09:06 AM
Vice captains curse

We need to make someone who doesn’t play next year the VC

Gee whiz. It has been a bit of a poisonous chalous hasn't it?

Mofra
10-08-2022, 10:04 AM
Gee whiz. It has been a bit of a poisonous chalous hasn't it?
2023 Headline: "The Bulldogs have revolutionized the Vice Captain position by appointing the opposition's best player each round"

azabob
10-08-2022, 10:21 AM
2023 Headline: "The Bulldogs have revolutionized the Vice Captain position by appointing the opposition's best player each round"

Terry Wallace would do this for sure.

Grantysghost
10-08-2022, 10:34 AM
Terry Wallace would do this for sure.

He was at the game as part of the official retro round festivities. The reaction from the crowd was...luke warm.

I think he handed the match ball to the umpires or something.

I clapped, have always like Terry.

1eyedog
10-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Thoughts?

My thoughts mirror yours. He looks dejected when he made a mistake (and he made plenty early), and completely checked out for those critical 3 seconds following his involvement in plays. It was a really, really bad look.

We chose him so we are stuck with him in this role.

bornadog
10-08-2022, 01:27 PM
He was at the game as part of the official retro round festivities. The reaction from the crowd was...luke warm.

I think he handed the match ball to the umpires or something.

I clapped, have always like Terry.

Looked like the years are catching up.

AshMac
10-08-2022, 07:53 PM
My thoughts mirror yours. He looks dejected when he made a mistake (and he made plenty early), and completely checked out for those critical 3 seconds following his involvement in plays. It was a really, really bad look.

We chose him so we are stuck with him in this role.

Refuse to believe the GF hasn’t torn the heart out of the plying group. Saw someone post that as a playing group they haven’t even watched the replay. I know it’d hurt but there are some home truths there that need to be addressed.

Happened in round 1. In plenty of rounds this year we’ve been near enough and just not been able to close the gap, and in plenty of others we have started well and just been obliterated.

Whatever the catalyst is for us to completely switch off needs to be found but it is playing out in so many of our best players from last year