PDA

View Full Version : ‘Are we f****en fair dinkum’ (Simon Goodwin rant)

bornadog
09-02-2022, 12:36 PM
Quite a bit coming out about Goodwin and his rants last year. Saved himself with a premiership, but has anyone ever rated this guy?

Melbourne premiership coach Simon Goodwin has come under more heat following revelations of an expletive-laden rant towards former club doctor Zeeshan Arain over the medico’s advice to rest Angus Brayshaw due to concussion symptoms.

According to a report from the Herald Sun Wednesday, alleged legal documents from Arain’s lawyers revealed Goodwin lashed out at Arain during the 2020 season to pressure him to allow Brayshaw to play.

The letter cited “unreasonable behaviour” from the Demons boss, stating “one player had suffered a concussion and a plan was devised for his recovery including rest”.“Are we f****en fair dinkum,” Goodwin allegedly said to Arain.

“Why the f*** would you change the plan when we agreed he could push through his comfort zone. F***ing (player’s name) was at Chadstone with his mates last Thursday but is f***en concussed today.” link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-demons/afl-2022-simon-goodwin-rant-at-former-club-doctor-zeeshan-arain-angus-brayshaw-concussion-legal-documents-melbourne-demons-considered-coach-over-bullying-claims/news-story/d7688ea4eab63a4f8b64bba9f6e26cc9)

and:

Embarrassing, but success covers the cracks for Simon Goodwin
By Jake Niall

That the Melbourne Football Club’s hierarchy conversed with the AFL over concern about Simon Goodwin’s alleged behaviours, including a bullying claim by a since-departed doctor, represents an embarrassment for the coach and the Demons, who had spent four months basking in the glow of a storied premiership.

Goodwin is fortunate that the dirty linen and internal division has been aired after the season rather than February or March 2021. Would he be a premiership coach if this had come to light last pre-season? The same blessed timing applies to the club administration and board.

Coaching legend Allan Jeans liked to say that success was like wallpaper at footy clubs: there were always cracks, but success papered over them.

In Goodwin’s case, the major crack of division was removed in April of last year, when the board ousted then president Glen Bartlett, who had questioned Goodwin publicly in 2020 and who clearly nursed doubts about whether the coach was the man to deliver the grail.

Today, Bartlett is very much on the outer at the Demons, and Goodwin – whom the previous president had questioned in public – is safe as houses. External embarrassment has not dented the internal view of the coach, who has gone from the edge of the cliff to a place in the red-and-blue pantheon: he is the only living premiership-winning coach of the code’s oldest club.

Goodwin’s management has been in talks over a new contract and the expectation is that he will be given three years minimum. A three or four-year deal would hardly surprise considering the flag, the near-unconditional backing of the playing group and the reality that the Demons are as well-placed for multiple premierships as Richmond were in October 2017.

Numerous football industry insiders agreed that the coach had suffered from his past reputation as a “lad” whose hard training was matched by a sizeable hedonist streak.

It is remarkable that the Demons managed to win a flag in barnstorming style only months after such misgivings or doubts about their coach, who then was perceived – wrongly, it turned out – to be closer to walking the plank than Nathan Buckley or David Teague.

The Demons were seen – rightly, it turned out – to be a team that had grossly underachieved in 2019 and 2020, and this, more than any of Goodwin’s conduct, was the reason he was in the sights of Bartlett with his position very much on the line.

While Bartlett’s removal as president wasn’t entirely about his vexed relationship with Goodwin, this was certainly a major factor.

On Tuesday, this column was told that Bartlett had acted independently of the club board in meeting AFL bosses Gillon McLachlan and Richard Goyder to discuss the sensitive topic of Goodwin’s alleged behaviour.

GVGjr
09-02-2022, 12:46 PM
I was going to post this yesterday but it's something many people will alter their views on given the success achieved.
Does the end result cancel the poor behavior in the eyes of many? To me, absolutely not but many supporters can become club blind.

Axe Man
09-02-2022, 12:50 PM
I tried to post this yesterday but the website wouldn't let me - Melbourne conspiracy I say. They sacked those who stood up against Goodwin and they are trying to silence us all!

Seriously though he will get away with it because they won they flag. If they had have had another disappointing season it would probably be a different story.

GVGjr
09-02-2022, 01:03 PM
I tried to post this yesterday but the website wouldn't let me - Melbourne conspiracy I say. They sacked those who stood up against Goodwin and they are trying to silence us all!

Seriously though he will get away with it because they won they flag. If they had have had another disappointing season it would probably be a different story.

I think the way it's been presented Melbourne will need to make some changes to the structures to minimise something like this happening again.

Grantysghost
09-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Aren't all coaches slightly crazy and intense. Kind of walking that line? Hardwick, Malthouse, Thompson, Bevo even they're all slightly mad xD
I don't think much about this. Internal issue.

Axe Man
09-02-2022, 01:29 PM
Aren't all coaches slightly crazy and intense. Kind of walking that line? Hardwick, Malthouse, Thompson, Bevo even they're all slightly mad xD
I don't think much about this. Internal issue.

You wouldn't be concerned if Gary Zimmerman raised concerns with Bevo's behavior and he was promptly sacked?

Of course we don't have all the information but the club's internal processes look horrible on face value.

jazzadogs
09-02-2022, 01:32 PM
I don't rate Goodwin. I think their success last year was largely player driven, and he was fortunate to have Williams, Richardson and Yze in the staff.

I don't have an issue with him having a beer with the team though.

Twodogs
09-02-2022, 01:59 PM
I don't rate Goodwin. I think their success last year was largely player driven, and he was fortunate to have Williams, Richardson and Yze in the staff.

Yep 100% agree with your assessment of Goodwin.

Grantysghost
09-02-2022, 02:38 PM
You wouldn't be concerned if Gary Zimmerman raised concerns with Bevo's behavior and he was promptly sacked?

Of course we don't have all the information but the club's internal processes look horrible on face value.

I would yes for sure if it was that reason he was sacked. Goodwin was part of the Hird mess so I've got not time for him really.

It's more the outrage I was commenting on, I think everything is magnified these days when it's probably just a part of high intensity workplaces.

Conduct needs to be better than that for sure, but it happens and then it's dealt with. Goodwin sounded like he was on thin ice.

Winning though ;)

bornadog
09-02-2022, 02:54 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Especially Williams who was a big influence in last years premiership win and helped hide Goodwin's lack of ability as a coach.

MrMahatma
09-02-2022, 04:12 PM
Personally don't see it as a huge story but facts are pretty thin and I also hope it somehow derails them this season.

Damn I wish we'd won that GF. It bloody sucks!

comrade
09-02-2022, 07:45 PM
Would have preferred this to have all come out at round 3 last year rather than now.

Dry Rot
10-02-2022, 12:01 AM
I don't rate Goodwin.

Agreed. Everyone knows their 2021 was all down to the earlier efforts of Paul Roos.*

* In the mind of Paul Roos and parts of the media.

jeemak
10-02-2022, 04:54 AM
Would have preferred this to have all come out at round 3 last year rather than now.

Yep, extremely good management by the Melbourne Football Club.

Hopefully if helps add to their downfall this year.....that I'm hoping for but not confident will happen.

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Agreed. Everyone knows their 2021 was all down to the earlier efforts of Paul Roos.*

* In the mind of Paul Roos and parts of the media.

Terrific post - The Roosy ego knows no boundaries

Bulldog4life
10-02-2022, 10:32 AM
Any AFL coach bullying a club doctor to approve a concussed player to play should be punished somehow. Brayshaw has had a difficult time with concussions which makes it even worse.

GVGjr
10-02-2022, 12:51 PM
Any AFL coach bullying a club doctor to approve a concussed player to play should be punished somehow. Brayshaw has had a difficult time with concussions which makes it even worse.

Spot on, concussion management and protocols are in place for very good reasons. Any coach that is found guilty of trying to get around it should be made to miss at least 3 games. If that isn't a sufficient deterrent then make it 6 weeks.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2022, 02:05 PM
Absolutely extraordinary’: AFL world reacts to bombshell Simon Goodwin report

The AFL world has been stunned by shocking allegations involving Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin on the eve of the 2022 AFL premiership.

On Tuesday morning, theHerald Sun reported Melbourne’s board was forced to investigate claims of *!Goodwin’s alleged behavioural issues from 2018 to early 2021, including drinking, gambling and workplace bullying.

The Herald Sun also reported several *!directors at the Demons were so alarmed by the allegations, they discussed standing Goodwin down ahead of the 2021 season — before his team went on to win the premiership.

Goodwin’s alleged drinking and gambling with players also caught the attention of AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan, who reportedly described Goodwin’s behaviour as “crazy” during a crisis meeting.

Speaking to RSN Breakfast on Tuesday morning, Herald Sun AFL reporter Jon Ralph said Melbourne could not sweep the Goodwin allegations under the rug, suggesting the club needed to ensure there wouldn’t be a relapse.

“It’s an absolutely extraordinary story,” Ralph said.

“If those allegations were revealed before last season … you’d say Simon Goodwin’s position was untenable, and yet he’s the premiership coach and he’s never coached better.

“Melbourne might well say, ‘He had some massive issues that we had to council him on that he’s since addressed’.

“To see it there in club documents … it’s extraordinary. Simon Goodwin would be reading it thinking, ‘Yeah OK, all those things are terrible, but look at what I’ve just done. I’ve just held up the cup. I’m just about to unfurl a premiership flag in 42 days’.

“I think Melbourne probably has a lot of questions to answer today, and so does the AFL in regards to his conduct.

“We’d love to know what the resolution of that resolution was.”

Former Adelaide star Josh Jenkins echoed Ralph’s remarks on SEN Breakfast. “There’s a bit to sort of digest and get your head around,” he said.

“It will be interesting to see how Melbourne approach this, whether they sort of shut it down and say it’s in the past and our performance has done the talking or have to dignify this with a proper response.

“Because they won the flag, it doesn’t mean there's nothing in the story. You can’t just be accused of workplace bullying and do whatever you want in the workplace but because you win, it doesn’t matter and it all goes away. That’s not how it works.

“The fact that the chief, Gil (McLachlan), felt the need to step in … and even went as far to say, ‘You need to consider removing him if his behaviour warrants’. That’s pretty strong.

“The fact that Gillon said that he was down at the pub gambling and drinking, that’s not gigantic to me. I’ve seen that before in my time, a coach trying to bond and have a good time with their players and show they’re human as well. That’s not a massive story. But the fact that the chief of the AFL has stepped in and said you need to give this some consideration about removing him, that’s pretty big.”

“For them to look at it there must have been serious concern at Simon and his behaviour,” Schwarz told 3AW.

“He has had a wretched run with it (gambling) and to put it in front of young vulnerable men … I don’t think it is a great look.

“I think he needs to distance himself from that sort of behaviour.

“I don’t mind them having a beer but I think sitting down for a long time and gambling with players ... there needs to be a separation.

“He is their boss.”

Goodwin was named 2021 Coach of the Year at last year’s AFL Coaches Association awards having won a premiership with the Demons.

Melbourne defeated the Western Bulldogs 21.14 (140) to 10.6 (66) in the AFL Grand Final at Perth’s Optus Stadium to clinch its first flag since 1964.

Goodwin’s gambling led him to being suspended as a player in 2007 after he placed four bets involving AFL matches totalling $16,024.58.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-demons/absolutely-extraordinary-afl-world-reacts-to-bombshell-simon-goodwin-report/news-story/5cb6f0a4dd6a88ae160f861a6f42ea92

Grantysghost
10-02-2022, 03:11 PM
Slow news week?

I was at the season launch having a pre drink and Josh Bruce walked onto the gaming floor in his Dogs gear and gambled.

They obviously didn't mind it (the Melbourne players).

Grantysghost
10-02-2022, 03:18 PM
Spot on, concussion management and protocols are in place for very good reasons. Any coach that is found guilty of trying to get around it should be made to miss at least 3 games. If that isn't a sufficient deterrent then make it 6 weeks.

Bevo was quite vocal re boxing training wasn't he. Not sure the coaches are on the same page re the concussion stuff.

Externally they toe the line.

EasternWest
10-02-2022, 03:30 PM
Slow news week?

I was at the season launch having a pre drink and Josh Bruce walked onto the gaming floor in his Dogs gear and gambled.

They obviously didn't mind it (the Melbourne players).

Was it actually Josh Bruce or was it some derro guy in last year's kit? Because honestly it'd be hard to tell the difference.

Grantysghost
10-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Was it actually Josh Bruce or was it some derro guy in last year's kit? Because honestly it'd be hard to tell the difference.

Haha. Bailey did have last years kit on. He had to change in the toilets.
Personally I was hoping for a live Bailey body show but sadly denied.