PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Caleb Daniel 35

Hotdog60
11-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.

Hotdog60
11-02-2022, 10:36 PM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/295136.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Playing 20 games in both 2017 and 2018 predominantly as a midfield/forward, Daniel transitioned to a full-time role in defence in 2019. He continued this role into 2020, enjoying a career-best season to claim the Charles Sutton Medal, earn maiden All-Australian honours, and notch up his 100th senior game. The 24-year-old will remain at VU Whitten Oval until 2022 after inking a three-year extension in 2019.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/952/caleb-daniel)

EasternWest
11-02-2022, 11:28 PM
Elite. Ten centimetres taller and nobody would mention his height, only how good he is.

Hotdog60
12-02-2022, 12:29 AM
If CD isn't elite he's border line on it. He has become the ultimate link man for the transition from defence to attack plus he has the ability as a get out jail free card. He reads the play so well that he can fine himself as the short arse on a tall defender couple that with work rate he is part of our engine room. Would it be fair to say Caleb pushed JJ out of defence as the attacking back flanker.
I mark him as elite.

bornadog
12-02-2022, 12:37 AM
Elite for sure, a real star of the AFL

josie
12-02-2022, 01:21 AM
Elite. One of the cleverest, quick thinking players and nearly always good disposals I’ve seen in my time watching footy. If there was a question mark early on I can think of, it was his ability to tackle given he is short. I think he has improved his tackling heaps in last year or so. Surely one of our first picked every week.

hujsh
12-02-2022, 02:02 AM
He'd be elite if he'd train to jump higher

GVGjr
12-02-2022, 08:51 AM
A great decision maker and excellent with his skills and ability to read the player. I also rate his versatility
Is he genuinely elite? I'm ashamed to say that I'm not 100% convinced but if he isn't he's very close too it.

The amount of times we are in a jam but Daniel gets us out of it is uncanny.

Testekill
12-02-2022, 07:09 PM
He's maybe the best in the league at carving a defensive press up.

Twodogs
12-02-2022, 08:54 PM
Elite. The best decision maker I've seen wearing the tricolour. The Caleb Daniel Kicks Twitter account shows how outstanding he is. Our whole defensive transition pretty much consists of "give it to Caleb"

He'd be elite if he'd train to jump higher

Get him some stilts maybe?

azabob
22-02-2022, 08:52 AM
A great decision maker and excellent with his skills and ability to read the player. I also rate his versatility
Is he genuinely elite? I'm ashamed to say that I'm not 100% convinced but if he isn't he's very close too it.

The amount of times we are in a jam but Daniel gets us out of it is uncanny.

Who stole the jam from your donut? ;)

What do you think he needs to improve in his game to become elite? He is a great decision maker, highly skilled, goes when it is his turn to go.

dog town
22-02-2022, 09:17 AM
He is elite because of the way Bevo deploys him. He often has an enormous impact on our results particularly against stronger opposition.

GVGjr
22-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Who stole the jam from your donut? ;)

What do you think he needs to improve in his game to become elite? He is a great decision maker, highly skilled, goes when it is his turn to go.

I really rate him but one of the tests I have is how easily I would trade a player. Nearly all players are tradeable for the right offer and depending on where the team is in terms premiership window might determine that.

With Caleb, for example I'd consider a trade for a good ruck man and it wouldn't necessarily have to be an elite one.
I get I might be out of synch with many on here with that view but we do bat deep in the positions Daniel best fits us.

I'm not underestimating his ability to navigate us out of tight situations and the way he impacts games either.

Grantysghost
22-02-2022, 10:03 AM
I really rate him but one of the tests I have is how easily I would trade a player. Nearly all players are tradeable for the right offer and depending on where the team is in terms premiership window might determine that.

With Caleb, for example I'd consider a trade for a good ruck man and it wouldn't necessarily have to be an elite one.
I get I might be out of synch with many on here with that view but we do bat deep in the positions Daniel best fits us.

I'm not underestimating his ability to navigate us out of tight situations and the way he impacts games either.

So you're saying you don't like our vertically challenged brethren GVG? xD

GVGjr
22-02-2022, 10:14 AM
So you're saying you don't like our vertically challenged brethren GVG? xD

I rate our smaller players but we are a big player light on.

Grantysghost
22-02-2022, 10:57 AM
I rate our smaller players but we are a big player light on.

True that would be nice.

I wouldn't be entertaining anything for Caleb personally unless it was A grade.

I rate him elite. Best kick I've seen since the Hawk, always has time and makes the right decisions. Buys us time to reset under pressure quite often and also finds an outlet when we are attacking.

If he added jumping to his repertoire then he'd be the best player in the AFL!

comrade
22-02-2022, 11:57 AM
Most talented pound for pound player I’ve ever seen at the Dogs. Premiership player, all Australian and best and fairest at his size is just incomprehensible in the modern era.

An utter joy to watch and I wouldn’t trade him for anything.

GVGjr
22-02-2022, 12:04 PM
Good discussions re Caleb. Thanks everyone.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2022, 01:31 PM
I get the sentiment, but Daniel has become too important for us.

He's tough, he can defend, he can attack, he brings others into the game, he gets to the right spots, his footskills are sublime and his decision making is the best in the AFL.

Despite his height, we can play him anywhere on the ground such is his ability to impact the game.

He's untouchable for mine.

EasternWest
22-02-2022, 03:27 PM
I get the sentiment, but Daniel has become too important for us.

He's tough, he can defend, he can attack, he brings others into the game, he gets to the right spots, his footskills are sublime and his decision making is the best in the AFL.

Despite his height, we can play him anywhere on the ground such is his ability to impact the game.

He's untouchable for mine.

No other way to see it.

I don't want to say Gary was wrong. Wait, yes I do.