Toby McLean
Mitch Wallis

bornadog
12-02-2022, 11:24 AM
We have a long list

The Underdog
12-02-2022, 11:28 AM
We have a long list

The Tom Browne’s of the world are going to be giving us plenty of air time until signatures land. Could end up being a distraction especially when you add Bailey Smith to the list.

(Maybe Tom will excuse himself from his role due to his nepotistic conflict of interest at Collingwood, he seems a pretty upstanding guy)

GVGjr
12-02-2022, 12:31 PM
We have a long list

A couple in the leadership group as well. Power and the team are going to have to work a bit of magic.

Mofra
12-02-2022, 01:01 PM
I would not be in the least bit concerned if we avoided taking an FA this year.
The overwhelming priority has to be keeping our list together as much as possible.

bornadog
12-02-2022, 05:20 PM
A couple in the leadership group as well. Power and the team are going to have to work a bit of magic.

Not sure if you watched the Q&A session with Power and Dom Milesi. One question sent through, asked Power about the re-signings and who would be the priority. Power said he was confident he would re-sign all the players.

Testekill
12-02-2022, 07:11 PM
It'll be tough to keep everyone, will be interested to see what decisions McLean & Wallis make as they've been pushed a fair way down the depth chart thanks to injuries and form.

GVGjr
12-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Not sure if you watched the Q&A session with Power and Dom Milesi. One question sent through, asked Power about the re-signings and who would be the priority. Power said he was confident he would re-sign all the players.

Yes I saw it. Still if a couple of clubs get into Smith he might demand more from us than his form necessarily commands.
I'm confident we will get it done but I don't think it's going to be easy. I think we held back from another FA signing llast year to to give us some more options this year.

Mofra
14-02-2022, 03:35 PM
He would say that though, wouldn't he?

I still think there might be a squeeze at the end of the year. It may even be a fringe type who walks for a bit of extra cash & opportunity. That might be a best-case scenario... we lost Lipinski who can use the ball well but nobody is suggesting our finals hopes are dashed on the back of a fringe player walking.

bornadog
14-02-2022, 03:40 PM
He would say that though, wouldn't he?

I still think there might be a squeeze at the end of the year. It may even be a fringe type who walks for a bit of extra cash & opportunity. That might be a best-case scenario... we lost Lipinski who can use the ball well but nobody is suggesting our finals hopes are dashed on the back of a fringe player walking.

True, but I have faith in Power, compared to previous list managers.

Those listed - my take

Zaine Cordy - Depends on performance
Bailey Dale - Must Keep
Caleb Daniel - Must Keep
Taylor Duryea - probably gets another year depending on performance
Jason Johannisen - Prefer to keep
Jack Macrae - - Must Keep
Stefan Martin^ Last year
Toby McLean - give or take, but likely to get new contract
Mitch Wallis - depends on performance in 2022

comrade
15-02-2022, 12:14 AM
Cordy isn’t going anywhere, because I can’t imagine any other club offering him a deal.

comrade
15-02-2022, 12:17 AM
Karl Amon and Dan McStay are two that interest me. Darcy Moore is obviously a pipe dream.

Mofra
15-02-2022, 11:21 AM
True, but I have faith in Power, compared to previous list managers.

Those listed - my take

Zaine Cordy - Depends on performance
Bailey Dale - Must Keep
Caleb Daniel - Must Keep
Taylor Duryea - probably gets another year depending on performance
Jason Johannisen - Prefer to keep
Jack Macrae - - Must Keep
Stefan Martin^ Last year
Toby McLean - give or take, but likely to get new contract
Mitch Wallis - depends on performance in 2022
Bailey Smith and Tim English conspicuously absent - I really want to keep both.
Dunkley too. I consider Dunkley as a higher priority than Dale and on par with Daniel.

bornadog
15-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Bailey Smith and Tim English conspicuously absent - I really want to keep both.
Dunkley too. I consider Dunkley as a higher priority than Dale and on par with Daniel.

the thread is about the free agents.

Yes Smith and English a must

Axe Man
15-02-2022, 12:14 PM
the thread is about the free agents.

Yes Smith and English a must

Someone should start a thread about player contracts.

hujsh
15-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Someone should start a thread about player contracts.

No one would do such a thankless task. Best we continue to speculate

The Doctor
02-04-2022, 09:01 AM
Fremantle

Alex Pearce

Could be a moneyball signing.

Axe Man
08-04-2022, 10:49 AM
If we lost English why would we replace him with a key forward?

AFL 2022 trade news: Victorian clubs eye Brisbane Lions forward Daniel McStay (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2022-transfer-news-collingwood-star-darcy-moore-signs-monster-sixyear-deal/news-story/4b71375e43890f419b97deb7fbe632f1)

Brisbane key forward Daniel McStay has emerged as one of this year’s most in-demand free agents as he weighs up a potential return home to Victoria.

McStay, 26, has put contract talks with the Lions on hold until later in the season when he could become the leading tall target available after Darcy Moore (Collingwood) and Ben King’s (Gold Coast) re-signed.

There is strong interest from Melbourne-based clubs in the 195cm McStay with Hawthorn and Collingwood in the market for a strong-marking target to help bolster their forward line.

Essendon, Richmond and Western Bulldogs could also enter the race after the Bombers missed out on Gold Coast’s Ben King and Tim English considers a move home to West Coast.

GVGjr
08-04-2022, 11:21 AM
If we lost English why would we replace him with a key forward?

AFL 2022 trade news: Victorian clubs eye Brisbane Lions forward Daniel McStay (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2022-transfer-news-collingwood-star-darcy-moore-signs-monster-sixyear-deal/news-story/4b71375e43890f419b97deb7fbe632f1)

Brisbane key forward Daniel McStay has emerged as one of this year’s most in-demand free agents as he weighs up a potential return home to Victoria.

McStay, 26, has put contract talks with the Lions on hold until later in the season when he could become the leading tall target available after Darcy Moore (Collingwood) and Ben King’s (Gold Coast) re-signed.

There is strong interest from Melbourne-based clubs in the 195cm McStay with Hawthorn and Collingwood in the market for a strong-marking target to help bolster their forward line.

Essendon, Richmond and Western Bulldogs could also enter the race after the Bombers missed out on Gold Coast’s Ben King and Tim English considers a move home to West Coast.

He would be a nice addition but I doubt we would chase him. Bruce, Naughton and JUH will be our key forwards next year

Happy Days
08-04-2022, 11:23 AM
So is English favoured to leave now? The tone of that last line is making me feel uneasy.

bornadog
08-04-2022, 11:40 AM
So is English favoured to leave now? The tone of that last line is making me feel uneasy.

Just another throw away line by the media scum

Sedat
08-04-2022, 03:23 PM
Just another throw away line by the media scum
Keep up the good work ;)

soupman
08-04-2022, 04:08 PM
He would be a nice addition but I doubt we would chase him. Bruce, Naughton and JUH will be our key forwards next year

Presumably we would be targeting him for a defensive role. Good size, good hands and covers the ground well, all big ticks for someone in our system.

GVGjr
08-04-2022, 06:14 PM
Presumably we would be targeting him for a defensive role. Good size, good hands and covers the ground well, all big ticks for someone in our system.

As a defender I think he would be a good fit as well but is he that 1 v 1 defender we really need?

macca
09-04-2022, 11:29 PM

He would be an upgrade to Schache , which is kinda ironic as he was behind him at one stage at Brisbane . Last night against the cats , He was the key marker for kick out guy and he took those marks . He floated a few times forward and his team mates kicked to him with confidence as they knew he would provide a contest . Yes , he lets the angry pills take over to provide a big man presence. Would love to have him in our side.

McStay, state our terms and you could help us be that missing bit of the jigsaw, and also the ruck/fwd we need also to recruit.

The Doctor
21-04-2022, 11:48 AM
Cal Twomey free agency news

https://www.afl.com.au/news/745288/clubs-wait-on-free-agency-calls-de-goey-keen-to-open-talks

Briefly

- Caleb Daniel edging closer to 4 year deal
- Dan McStay could be an unrestricted free agent. Clubs waiting on AFL ruling
- Alex Pearce holding off on new contract for now

hujsh
21-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Would be fine with either of them if we can (while retaining our existing talent)

azabob
21-04-2022, 06:32 PM
Alex Pearce is a huge risk for any club looking to sign him.

GVGjr
21-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Alex Pearce is a huge risk for any club looking to sign him.

I know it's early days but he looked good on the weekend.
FWIW, Paddy McCartin is going OK as well.

Time will tell.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Goldy on the move next year?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2022-todd-goldstein-free-agent-rory-lobb-trade-contract-essendon-top-10-picks-andrew-mcgrath/news-story/25777276a9fa5819aad801dacfce0cc4

bornadog
04-05-2022, 10:45 AM
Goldy on the move next year?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2022-todd-goldstein-free-agent-rory-lobb-trade-contract-essendon-top-10-picks-andrew-mcgrath/news-story/25777276a9fa5819aad801dacfce0cc4

SHHHHHH - don't tell Happy Days :D

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 10:56 AM
He’s still their best ruck. We should’ve done it when we got Stef, but Bevo is happy with him only getting lightly belted so I guess we made the right decision.

hujsh
04-05-2022, 11:00 AM
Goldstein would be good but if English is our number 1 ruck now, and actually looks competent in the role, then its the other person mentioned in the article we should be interested in... Lobb.

I know, I know we hate him and all that but he'd kind of fit what we need perfectly which is that forward who rucks. Goldstein can probably find a club that will let him ruck at least 50% of his TOG and I'm noy sure we can guarantee that if we're promising English the no.1 spot as is rumored we are to keep him happy/here.

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Goldstein would be good but if English is our number 1 ruck now, and actually looks competent in the role, then its the other person mentioned in the article we should be interested in... Lobb.

I know, I know we hate him and all that but he'd kind of fit what we need perfectly which is that forward who rucks. Goldstein can probably find a club that will let him ruck at least 50% of his TOG and I'm noy sure we can guarantee that if we're promising English the no.1 spot as is rumored we are to keep him happy/here.

Nah great call and I was gonna bring him up too. He’s killing it this year in the exact role that we need filled in the team right now, and obviously tried as hard as he could to get out last year.

The only issue is his rumoured pay packet. Think our cap will be at bursting point if all the guys out of contract stay.

Grantysghost
04-05-2022, 11:41 AM
He’s still their best ruck. We should’ve done it when we got Stef, but Bevo is happy with him only getting lightly belted so I guess we made the right decision.

He's not even playing ruck any more is he?

I remember v dogs he was rarely in at CB spent loads of time forward.

I think at 34/35 at the right price you'd have to look at him for a year. He's in pretty good shape.

Edit : Just looked v dogs he attended 11 centre bounces Xerri 25.

Last week (didn't watch) he was primary ruck with CCJ by the looks had 18 CCJ 13.

I don't have a point. What happy Days said.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2022, 11:43 AM

I think at 34/35 at the right price you'd have to look at him for a year. He's in pretty good shape.

Played first ruck last week with Xerri out injured. Been playing second ruck/forward pocket before that.

The Doctor
04-05-2022, 11:43 AM
Listening to Simon Garlick on the ABC recently he didn't seem all that fussed about whether Lobb stayed. That was the impression I got.

If he wants $500k+ per season I don't think we would be interested.

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 11:44 AM

He went back to being the number one with Xerri out injured. He’s still got Xerri well and truly covered but North aren’t all that interested in 2022.

EasternWest
04-05-2022, 12:20 PM

I only hate him because he looks like George McFly, but otherwise I'd be prepared to put our history with him where it belongs.

He's exactly who we need.

Grantysghost
04-05-2022, 12:23 PM
I only hate him because he looks like George McFly, but otherwise I'd be prepared to put our history with him where it belongs.

He's exactly who we need.

He is our density.

Mofra
04-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Listening to Simon Garlick on the ABC recently he didn't seem all that fussed about whether Lobb stayed. That was the impression I got.

If he wants $500k+ per season I don't think we would be interested.
If we could somehow afford it, I would. Whether he would work with Bruce is a sticking point but Josh Bruce will be a 30 year old coming off an ACL when he plays AFL again.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2022, 04:56 PM
If we could somehow afford it, I would. Whether he would work with Bruce is a sticking point but Josh Bruce will be a 30 year old coming off an ACL when he plays AFL again.

Yep, floated his name in another thread.

Not sure what his asking price is, but if the price is right, he should be a key target for us.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 05:01 PM
Yep, floated his name in another thread.

Not sure what his asking price is, but if the price is right, he should be a key target for us.

He is on around $700k per annum with another year left on his contract.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2022, 05:07 PM

Easy enough to dice that up over X amount of years.

Wonder what a club would be willing to offer?

hujsh
04-05-2022, 06:09 PM

Reports have been he wants 3 years at 500k a year. Probably takes into consideration he's 28 now so would be 32 when the contract ends.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 06:19 PM
Reports have been he wants 3 years at 500k a year. Probably takes into consideration he's 28 now so would be 32 when the contract ends.

I would do that

azabob
04-05-2022, 06:23 PM
Isn’t Lobb the type of guy to perform in a contract year? Has ability and played really well V Geelong last week.

Axe Man
05-05-2022, 12:01 PM
Isn’t Lobb the type of guy to perform in a contract year? Has ability and played really well V Geelong last week.

He is contracted until the end of 2023.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 12:04 PM
He is contracted until the end of 2023.

If we could get in lobb and anther KPD things are looking pretty rosy list wise.

Axe Man
05-05-2022, 12:17 PM
If we could get in lobb and anther KPD things are looking pretty rosy list wise.

I think we would need to lose someone good for that to happen. Cap is tighter than Clive Palmer's shirt.

Grantysghost
05-05-2022, 12:27 PM
I think we would need to lose someone good for that to happen. Cap is tighter than Clive Palmer's shirt.

Aha. That's the tough part.

azabob
13-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Likely wrong as it is Slobbo reporting it but apparently Franklin is after $700-$800k for next year.
Sydney are offering $500K.

Sydney should say thanks and pack your bags.

G-Mo77
13-07-2022, 06:25 PM

Ok lets say for arguments sake Dunkley, JJ, Wallis, Schache, Martin all come off the books. That does free up a fair amount of coin. We should have a bit to play with with a few moves.

GVGjr
13-07-2022, 08:38 PM
Likely wrong as it is Slobbo reporting it but apparently Franklin is after $700-$800k for next year.
Sydney are offering $500K.

Sydney should say thanks and pack your bags.

Given the deal he's had, 500K is reasonably generous and I can't quite fathom why he wouldn't take it and stay a club (and city) that he enjoys.

GVGjr
13-07-2022, 08:40 PM
Ok lets say for arguments sake Dunkley, JJ, Wallis, Schache, Martin all come off the books. That does free up a fair amount of coin. We should have a bit to play with with a few moves.

Not sure if it will free up much cap space because we have invested a fair bit back into the players we have been signing this year.

We should still have scope for a couple of good players though but I doubt there is a war chest available.

azabob
13-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Given the deal he's had, 500K is reasonably generous and I can't quite fathom why he wouldn't take it and stay a club (and city) that he enjoys.

Agree totally. Seems the right thing to do.

GVGjr
13-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Agree totally. Seems the right thing to do.

I'll never understand footballers who have been well paid over a long period of time quibbling over 100K.
To us mere mortals that's a lot of money but if you have been averaging 1M a season for a few years it's really bugger all.

I think the Swans have offered what they can reasonably afford.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-07-2022, 09:14 PM
I'll never understand footballers who have been well paid over a long period of time quibbling over 100K.
To us mere mortals that's a lot of money but if you have been averaging 1M a season for a few years it's really bugger all.

I think the Swans have offered what they can reasonably afford.

Yep. Even more so for overseas sportsmen who earn half a million a week. :mad:

Grantysghost
13-07-2022, 09:20 PM
Yep. Even more so for overseas sportsmen who earn half a million a week. :mad:

Pogba?

G-Mo77
13-07-2022, 09:25 PM
Not sure if it will free up much cap space because we have invested a fair bit back into the players we have been signing this year.

We should still have scope for a couple of good players though but I doubt there is a war chest available.

True. Caleb's sounded like it was quite high if you believe the speculation. One thing we've done well over the years is manage the finances of our players. I'm confident we'll have some backended deals and some possibly front ended for 2022. I don't think we'll have a war chest either G. We should be able to have enough finances to get some handy pieces ie: Lobb.

Mofra
14-07-2022, 09:59 AM
We have Soldo money unspent. I'm still confident we can bring players in - especially if we lose a couple of players, as I expect we do

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 04:03 PM
AFL has lifted vaccine mandate.

Jones becomes available.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/798874/play-on-vaccine-mandate-lifted-for-players-and-staff

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 04:11 PM
AFL has lifted vaccine mandate.

Jones becomes available.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/798874/play-on-vaccine-mandate-lifted-for-players-and-staff

With cases surging, players still missing games (Brisbane copping a lot) and now a 4th vaccine in place it seems to be a strange decision to lift the mandate. Good luck to Liam but this might not hold.

MrMahatma
14-07-2022, 05:13 PM
True. Caleb's sounded like it was quite high if you believe the speculation. One thing we've done well over the years is manage the finances of our players. I'm confident we'll have some backended deals and some possibly front ended for 2022. I don't think we'll have a war chest either G. We should be able to have enough finances to get some handy pieces ie: Lobb.

Maybe that’s why we have McComb, McNeil, Martin etc on the list. Need to pay max to the stars meaning we have to have a few cheap as chips.