PDA

View Full Version : Welsh resists crowing after four goals for Dogs

BulldogBelle
24-03-2008, 12:44 AM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x227/freeds1/Welsh.jpg

Welsh resists crowing after four goals for Dogs (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchreport/welsh-resists-crowing-after-four-goals/2008/03/23/1206206928526.html)
The Age
Nick Sheridan | March 24, 2008

BULLDOGS recruit Scott Welsh had a debut to remember, kicking four goals against his old club.

While he finished the day with just 10 touches, Welsh will be satisfied he was able to prove his worth to the Bulldogs' selectors who gave the 29-year-old a second chance after he was delisted by the Crows last year.

"I was looking forward to this game for a while … it was a great result, particularly for Johnno's (Brad Johnson's) 300th," Welsh said.

Although he gave no appearance of struggling to fit in to his new role — he kicked the Bulldogs' first goal of the day — Welsh said he took some time to get comfortable in the Bulldogs' forward line.

"It was a bit different," he said. "It was a bit hard early but I sort of got used to it and it wasn't really an issue in the end."

Welsh said he expects his presence in the forward line to free up skipper Johnson to be more versatile.

"I think I'm fitting in pretty well down there. I think Johnno's going to play up the ground a bit … and hopefully I can gel with the forward line and help them win a few games," he said.

Coach Rodney Eade said Welsh's efforts — both in front of goal and with a great chase and tackle on Jason Porplyzia in the centre of the ground that forced a turnover — contributed to the Bulldogs' victory.

"Scott Welsh is obviously a dangerous player. To be able to kick four with the chances he had … he's fitted in extremely well. His first two or three games were a bit slow to get going in the NAB Cup, but the last one was good and he obviously played well today," Eade said.

And while Welsh was happy with his first outing, he was not willing to make too much of it.

"It was a great result today and it worked out well — we've just got to back it up next week," he said.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Nice little article.

I thought Welsh was fantastic, strong hands, precision goal kicking & great defensive pressure which is something we badly lacked in '07.

Very handy pick up. A forward line consisting of Johnson, Murphy & Welsh is dangerous, not to mention the likes of Gia, Aker, Higgins & Cooney rotating through it.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I remember getting excited after Jade kicked a bag in his first outing, but Scott looks pretty good in the red, white and blue.

The Coon Dog
24-03-2008, 09:43 AM
If you get a chance to watch the replay, have a look at Welsh's run up as he has a set shot for goal. My kids picked it up at the time & thought it was hilarious.

LostDoggy
24-03-2008, 10:10 AM
If you get a chance to watch the replay, have a look at Welsh's run up as he has a set shot for goal. My kids picked it up at the time & thought it was hilarious.

Yepp its strange. Don't care about it if can kick that straight so often.

mjp
24-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Chase down in the middle of the ground was really something to see though. Great effort.

Last kick out of the backline not exactly the decision I would have expected from such an experienced player though.

Mantis
24-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Good performance first up.

As TCD pointed out (or his kids) his run up is dog shit, but his kicking action is fool proof.

His kick out of defence at the death has taken 2 years off my life.

1eyedog
24-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Love him, he'll be a great asset to a forward line relying too heavily on small players. He's only medium-sized (188cm) but he plays like a 192cm+ player. If he kicks 50 goals this year that's a great effort. And doesn't he like a celebration!

GVGjr
24-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Love him, he'll be a great asset to a forward line relying too heavily on small players. He's only medium-sized (188cm) but he plays like a 192cm+ player. If he kicks 50 goals this year that's a great effort. And doesn't he like a celebration!

Whats the go with his run up for his set shots. It wasn't that stuttering from what I remember from last season. Great kick though.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Whats the go with his run up for his set shots. It wasn't that stuttering from what I remember from last season. Great kick though.

Not it's been like that forever. I remember seeing him do it in 05

Go_Dogs
24-03-2008, 07:07 PM

A lot of the Crows players have these weird little run ins for set shots - the majority seem effective though so I won't knock him for it. Definitely not an orthodox approach though.

whythelongface
24-03-2008, 07:37 PM
While he finished the day with just 10 touches, Welsh will be satisfied he was able to prove his worth to the Bulldogs' selectors who gave the 29-year-old a second chance after he was delisted by the Crows last year.

Just a question on the article - was he actually delisted by the Crows? Didn't he choose to leave? or am I getting confused with Huddo.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Just a question on the article - was he actually delisted by the Crows? Didn't he choose to leave? or am I getting confused with Huddo.

Hudson was traded.

I think they just parted ways because he wouldn't sign their contract making him a 'free agent' and eligible for the PSD

Mantis
24-03-2008, 08:29 PM

As hujsh has alluded they parted company over a contract dispute. Adelaide offered him a 1yr contract he wanted a longer deal (a bit of security I suppose). We offered him a 2 yr deal which he accepted and then were able to pick him up in the PSD.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2008, 09:09 PM

The Crows have this stupid rule where they delist anyone over 30 unless they deem him to be an A grader. That's why they dumped Torney despite him having his best year ever last year.

Welsh was only offered one year and it was clear they intended to dump him at the end of the year regardless of his form under this policy. We offered him 2 years (with the opportunity to play on for as long as your form and body holds up).

The decision to leave would have been a no-brainer.

I didn't realise he was such a good contested mark.

hujsh
24-03-2008, 10:03 PM
The Crows have this stupid rule where they delist anyone over 30 unless they deem him to be an A grader. That's why they dumped Torney despite him having his best year ever last year.

Well technically they only offer year by year contracts but they didn't seem that intent on keeping him the next year

whythelongface
24-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. So technically he was delisted even though he really left of his own accord as we were offering him a two year contract.

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Well technically they only offer year by year contracts but they didn't seem that intent on keeping him the next year

No.

They will dump you when you hit 30 unless you are Rusciutto or McLeod.

Jason Torney had the best year of his career and got cut. I notice on the Crows board on BF they were saying they wished they had Torney to put on Johnson in the last quarter.

hujsh
25-03-2008, 03:20 PM
No.

They will dump you when you hit 30 unless you are Rusciutto or McLeod.

Jason Torney had the best year of his career and got cut. I notice on the Crows board on BF they were saying they wished they had Torney to put on Johnson in the last quarter.

But they say year by year. What they do is completely different