PDA

View Full Version : “too big a penalty”: 50-metre chaos reigns in first sign of umpire abuse crackdown

bornadog
04-03-2022, 10:59 AM
Have the umps gone too far? More AFL meddling

Link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/03/too-big-a-penalty-50-metre-chaos-reigns-in-first-sign-of-umpire-abuse/)

One of the major focal points out of Thursday night’s Carlton v Melbourne AAMI Community Series clash has been the amount of 50-metre penalties paid.

In their eventual five-point loss to the Blues at Marvel Stadium, the Demons gave away eight 50s, with six of those resulting in goals.

It came in the wake of the AFL’s crackdown on umpire abuse.

Some of the 50s seemed contentious with Dees players appearing to simply question the decision of the umpire or show frustration at their own actions in the contest.

It is human nature to feel frustrated or disappointed after something goes against you or if you make a mistake, which is presumably the mindset of those players who gave away the penalties.

In the aftermath of the chaos, Kane Cornes and David King discussed the clampdown, both suggesting 50 metres for a minor indiscretion is far too harsh.

“It’s too big a penalty,” Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

“The 50-metre penalty is too big and if you’re going to concede six goals from 50s in a game of footy, game over and potentially a final over.

“I think we would all be in agreeance that if you directly abuse an umpire it should be paid a 50-metre penalty.

“But what happens if you’re frustrated in yourself or if the emotion is frustration.

“Christian Petracca gave away a free kick against Patty Cripps. Petracca clearly thought Cripps ducked into it and it was a 50-50. He just sort of grimaced within himself and clenched his fist, he was more disappointed with himself. 50, goal against.

“If that’s a final, are we going to cop that? I’m not, you can’t cop that.”

King weighed in, referencing a free kick Adam Tomlinson gave away to Harry McKay in the forward pocket for a slight nudge on the Blues forward.

“Define abuse. That is not abuse,” King said.

“If you look at an umpire, that shouldn’t be deemed abuse. Even what (Adam) Tomlinson did, ‘Oh, you can’t be paying that’. He’s thinking, ‘I’ve done everything right as a defender, ok I’ve nudged Harry McKay under the ball and I’ve given away a free kick. I’m looking at the screen, what did I get wrong?’ He’s frustrated with himself and he was frustrated with the umpire, but he’s not abusing him.

“Petracca looked at the umpire, he looked at him.”

Cornes fears that this could end any type of communication between players and umpires.

“In that instance with Tomlinson, you’re not ever thinking the umpire is going to change his decision, but you’re looking for a bit of guidance,” Cornes added.

“‘So umpie, if this happens next time and I just do that, is that allowed?’ But you can’t have the interaction.

“Essentially what you’re saying is there is no interaction. If I was a coach, I’d say do not look, do not talk, do not interact with an umpire.

“That’s a nice nuance in the game that we’ve lost. ‘Razor’ Ray (Chamberlain) gives back as good as he gets. Is he not allowed to talk to the players?”

King added: “I don’t want to hear from him. If you’re not allowed to talk to the umpire or even look at them, if you can’t do that, don’t get involved in conversations.

“The conversation between player and umpire is over.”

King believes the new stance from the AFL has simply created another “grey area” in a game which is already too hard to adjudicate.

“This is just creating another great area,” he said.

“This is what worries me. The job is hard enough for the umpires and we say, ‘Listen, by the way, now you’re going to have to judge whether it’s dissent, whether it’s abuse and pay a 50-metre penalty’.

“So if they get it wrong, if they get two of them wrong in a game or in a round, it’s going to cause chaos.”

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks joined Cornes and King on SEN Breakfast with the game fresh in his mind.

He can see both sides of the story, and is happy umpire abuse is being addressed, but was careful not to delve too far into the topic.

“It’s a really tough one, because I completely understand what we’re trying to do as a code and what the AFL is doing here,” Nicks said.

“What they’re trying to do is right. Abuse to umpires or throwing hands around, what we’ve seen over the years, it’s probably got to the point where we can ask some questions about it. Which we’re doing.

“What we do with these players, and this is the toughest part with all of it, is we amp these guys up, we get the blood pumping, we ask them to compete, we ask them to crash in harder for longer. The game is a physical game and emotions are high.

“You even see it in the stands, people come to the footy to release emotion, it’s entertainment.

“I sit on the fence only because it’s going to be so tough to switch their emotion on and off.

“I watched a few last night where I didn’t think there was a lot in it, but I also understand it’s not a good look for our game when umpires are being abused.

“It’s a tough one where I can’t give you something one way or the other so I’m mindful of what I do say.”

Will penalties for providing feedback for the umpires carry on into the season proper? Or is it just a stern message being sent to get things into line early?

We will know more as the AAMI Community Series continues this weekend and Round 1 approaches.

bornadog
04-03-2022, 11:01 AM
I didn't watch the game, but saw some clips. The Petraca one is totally ridiculous, all he did was show some emotion and clench his fists. He wasn't even looking at the umpire.

I will be furious if this happens to us. 8x 50s is a joke.

EasternWest
04-03-2022, 11:07 AM
I didn't watch the game, but saw some clips. The Petraca one is totally ridiculous, all he did was show some emotion and clench his fists. He wasn't even looking at the umpire.

I will be furious if this happens to us. 8x 50s is a joke.

The Petracca one was clearly against renowned hard man and truly redpilled meat eating Tom McDonald, who was carrying on like an absolute goose at the umpire behind Petracca.

No doubt he was still stewing over Rita Panahi's most recent article.

Axe Man
04-03-2022, 11:12 AM
Seems like a massive over correction from the umpiring department that will settle down and go back to normal after a couple of rounds, as these "crack downs" always seem to do. In the mean time I hope our players just keep their mouths shut.

Of course it's hard to know what is said, if it's simply questioning a decision without swearing or abuse then a 50 is ridiculous.

No surprise that those entitled Melbourne twats carried on when things weren't going their way though.

MrMahatma
04-03-2022, 12:15 PM
6 goals from 50s, and if some of them weren't really there, then it puts a pretty different view on the match. I watched the last 40 mins of game time and Dees looked pretty good and had a fair few blokes out.

chef
04-03-2022, 12:39 PM
Some talk Melbourne was purposely pushing the limits to test what they can get away with.

divvydan
04-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Thought I'd take a look at the 50m penalties.

1. 50m x2. Not giving ball back quickly, running in front of player getting 50m, results in goal.
2. 50m for abuse (off ball by Gawn). Results in goal. Fisher was 30m nearly directly in front anyway.
3. 50m for abuse (Tomlinson). Results in goal. McKay was 15m out, tight angle, probably 50/50 kick becomes 100%
4. 50 for kicking ball away after free kick given. Results in goal
5. 50 for not giving ball back quickly. Nothing results from it
6. 50 for going over the mark. Nothing results from it.
7. 50 for abuse (Petracca/McDonald). Results in goal. Would not have been a goal otherwise.

All up. 5 goals total. The phrase 6 50's leading to goals is technically correct as one goal was from 2 50s but it's 5 goals total.
Of those, 3 goals for abuse. One of which, Gawn, no one had an issue with and almost certainly would've been a goal anyway. One 50/50 shot turned into a certainty from Tomlinson which was given more for body language than anything, seemed fairly clear to me at least. Final one was Petracca/McDonald, which was the only one that clearly created a goal. It's unclear from the vision who it was paid against. If TMac, seems fair decision, if Petracca, seems harsh.

As an aside, not giving the ball back straight away will probably end up being a more common 50. No longer can players hold onto the ball for a second or two asking whose free is it when it's clearly obvious.

bornadog
04-03-2022, 01:19 PM
Thought I'd take a look at the 50m penalties.

1. 50m x2. Not giving ball back quickly, running in front of player getting 50m, results in goal.
2. 50m for abuse (off ball by Gawn). Results in goal. Fisher was 30m nearly directly in front anyway.
3. 50m for abuse (Tomlinson). Results in goal. McKay was 15m out, tight angle, probably 50/50 kick becomes 100%
4. 50 for kicking ball away after free kick given. Results in goal
5. 50 for not giving ball back quickly. Nothing results from it
6. 50 for going over the mark. Nothing results from it.
7. 50 for abuse (Petracca/McDonald). Results in goal. Would not have been a goal otherwise.

All up. 5 goals total. The phrase 6 50's leading to goals is technically correct as one goal was from 2 50s but it's 5 goals total.
Of those, 3 goals for abuse. One of which, Gawn, no one had an issue with and almost certainly would've been a goal anyway. One 50/50 shot turned into a certainty from Tomlinson which was given more for body language than anything, seemed fairly clear to me at least. Final one was Petracca/McDonald, which was the only one that clearly created a goal. It's unclear from the vision who it was paid against. If TMac, seems fair decision, if Petracca, seems harsh.

As an aside, not giving the ball back straight away will probably end up being a more common 50. No longer can players hold onto the ball for a second or two asking whose free is it when it's clearly obvious.

Thanks for the summary. Looks like they were all there. Hopefully our guys learn from this.

Melbourne are very undisciplined and the coach should tear strips off them.

Mantis
04-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the summary. Looks like they were all there. Hopefully our guys learn from this.

Melbourne are very undisciplined and the coach should tear strips off them.

Are or were?

Given their game style I think they're as disciplined as anyone in the way they set-up the ground, but do have a number of players who push the limits/ are chirpy.

mjp
04-03-2022, 02:33 PM
The sooking at the umpires has been out of control.

I 100% hate the NBA and pretty much all major soccer competitions for not sorting this out...it is a blight on the game. The whistle blows? Look at which way he points his arm and run in the OTHER direction.

Honestly. Some of the carry on last year in particular was embarrasing.

As for Petracca - not only does he complain to the umpires, he actually uses the hand signals for 'Holding the Ball' frequently during a game...you're not the umpire mate.

Sure - I've nothing against a "Can't you see he's holding me" during a stoppage etc, but Gawn mouthing off as he ran off the field after Fisher had taken what is commonly referred too as "an uncontested mark" inside 50m does no-one any favours. And if you think juniors don't pick up on this stuff, well, they 100% do...

The Underdog
04-03-2022, 03:02 PM

I 100% hate the NBA and pretty much all major soccer competitions for not sorting this out...it is a blight on the game. The whistle blows? Look at which way he points his arm and run in the OTHER direction.

As for Petracca - not only does he complain to the umpires, he actually uses the hand signals for 'Holding the Ball' frequently during a game...you're not the umpire mate.

Sure - I've nothing against a "Can't you see he's holding me" during a stoppage etc, but Gawn mouthing off as he ran off the field after Fisher had taken what is commonly referred too as "an uncontested mark" inside 50m does no-one any favours. And if you think juniors don't pick up on this stuff, well, they 100% do...

Players making umpiring signals is my absolute pet hate.

Mofra
04-03-2022, 04:09 PM

The contrast with the way refs are treated in Union is stark.

hujsh
05-03-2022, 01:31 AM

People celebrated Gawn talking down to the umps last year. Annoying.

boydogs
05-03-2022, 02:00 AM
It's a worry when there are 8 x 50's against one team in a preseason game. What happens in a final when they're really going at it? Save it for the over the top ones

EasternWest
05-03-2022, 02:39 PM

I 100% hate the NBA and pretty much all major soccer competitions for not sorting this out...it is a blight on the game...

You're wrong about this. There's nothing I like better than Lebron James driving to the hole and yelling "HEY" at the ref. Every. Single. Time.

I want to save it as my ringtone.

jeemak
05-03-2022, 07:35 PM

It's almost as if the Melbourne players are *!*!*!*!wits or something.....

jeemak
19-04-2022, 10:17 PM
So, my brother and I were talking about this and I suggested the interpretation of the dissent rule was implemented poorly and that the AFL couldn't possibly be wanting to go as hard as they have been. My reasoning being is that they always *!*!*!*! up the implementation of rules by going hard and normalising after backlash, which is a blunt instrument approach to process changes and inefficient overall.

As it happens I was part correct. They did implement poorly, but apparently because they've not gone hard enough on game day with the dissent rule!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/our-umpires-missed-some-afl-says-officiators-should-have-paid-more-frees-for-dissent-20220419-p5aeky.html

I won't post the justifications, but long story short, any dissent is now unacceptable. It's all out, even pointing to the scoreboard to show how a decision was wrong. Yay!

Grantysghost
19-04-2022, 10:29 PM
So, my brother and I were talking about this and I suggested the interpretation of the dissent rule was implemented poorly and that the AFL couldn't possibly be wanting to go as hard as they have been. My reasoning being is that they always *!*!*!*! up the implementation of rules by going hard and normalising after backlash, which is a blunt instrument approach to process changes and inefficient overall.

As it happens I was part correct. They did implement poorly, but apparently because they've not gone hard enough on game day with the dissent rule!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/our-umpires-missed-some-afl-says-officiators-should-have-paid-more-frees-for-dissent-20220419-p5aeky.html

I won't post the justifications, but long story short, any dissent is now unacceptable. It's all out, even pointing to the scoreboard to show how a decision was wrong. Yay!

What if you think it?

Being a thought criminal.. That's 50.

macca
20-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Dissent rule is another stupid rule introduced by AFL
Players are pumped up on adrenaline and they are asked to respect umpires decisions . Holding your arms out to ask why a free was awarded will now cop a 50 m penalty. You can’t ask players to refrain their body language when the game is one and they just applied a tackle or some sort of collisions

Another wonderful stupid rule By AFL , they A now represents awful in my opinion

Yeah sure make players respect umpires but these type of rules is just going to players hate them more and add to subjectivity of rule interpretation , especially when umpires. Reward frees incorrectly
Isn’t it enough to have the do not abuse umpire rule?
Example : round 4. Cats vs Lions . Hawkins pushes Harris In the back when Harris is in front , and Hawkins gets awarded the free . Any sane person would holding his arm out and ask why . The game was on and it was a crucial moment in the game which swing moment the Cats way at their fortress

bornadog
20-04-2022, 11:17 AM
Players are pumped up on adrenaline and they are asked to respect umpires decisions . Holding your arms out to ask why a free was awarded will now cop a 50 m penalty. You can’t ask players to refrain their body language when the game is one and they just applied a tackle or some sort of collisions

Another wonderful stupid rule By AFL , they A now represents awful in my opinion

Yeah sure make players respect umpires but these type of rules is just going to players hate them more and add to subjectivity of rule interpretation , especially when umpires. Reward frees incorrectly
Example : round 4. Cats vs Lions . Hawkins pushes Harris In the back when Harris is in front , and Hawkins gets awarded the free . Any sane person would holding his arm out and ask why . The game was on and it was a crucial moment in the game which swing moment the Cats way at their fortress

Players should now just accept the decision and runoff or stand on the mark.

macca
20-04-2022, 11:27 AM
Players should now just accept the decision and runoff or stand on the mark.

I am going to start counting in games the number of times players put their hands on the cheeks to HIDE their frustration

The AFL will probable create another dissent part B rule for that , it will be you cannot pretend to cry rule

The game is starting to become unwatchable

bornadog
20-04-2022, 11:28 AM
I am going to start counting in games the number of times players put their hands on the cheeks to HIDE their frustration

The AFL will probable create another dissent part B rule for that , it will be you cannot pretend to cry rule

The game is starting to become unwatchable

I have been saying for years, they expect players to be Robots.

When Richmond got those two goals against us for moving on the mark, that killed the game for me. Changed momentum, and I just thought we were done. Like you it is hard to watch sometimes.

macca
20-04-2022, 11:36 AM
I have been saying for years, they expect players to be Robots.

When Richmond got those two goals against us for moving on the mark, that killed the game for me. Changed momentum, and I just thought we were done. Like you it is hard to watch sometimes.

Great point on AFL expecting players to become like robots ,stupid cloud 9 expectation

The sad thing I see now is the contests in marks and contested possession is being destroyed by dumb rules , which leads to misinterpreted umpire decisions

Like you said , it swings the game momentum

I really wanted us to kick a few more goals against the tigers to stay in the contest

Hawkins given 2 dubious free kicks in round 4 , killed the Lions chances

Ghost Dog
20-04-2022, 11:41 AM

This is the sort of rule that smacks of unfairness, and will turn people off AFL.
How would it survive in soccer? An international sport?
If there are 60,000 places short in umpiring nation wide, maybe it's time to start paying them.

And what I find hilarious is now it's Scott on the committee making these rules. He was the king of demonstrative sprays and shouting, getting uptight about umpiring decisions as a player and as a coach.

If anyone hasn't noticed, people play sport to express themselves and to stop us from killing each other.
I could accept a yellow card system. Warn the player that they are on notice. People like Sicily need this. Pull your head in.
A fair warning is, well.....fair.

It's an act that does not impact the game, but the punishment does.
Yes umpires need more support but this sort of rule will actually mean more vitriol.

Happy Days
20-04-2022, 12:06 PM
Make it a fine?

Ghost Dog
20-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Hilarious Gallery on youtube: A history of Bulldog Dissent

https://youtu.be/L3e_JKZrZEc

The first frame captures it all.

Axe Man
20-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Exclusive footage of the players training not to give away any arms out 50s.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0s8QKdb/running-without-using-arms.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
20-04-2022, 02:20 PM

I love how Dougie managed to appear in almost every one even when he wasn't involved in the play!

Grantysghost
20-04-2022, 02:33 PM
I love how Dougie managed to appear in almost every one even when he wasn't involved in the play!

Haha gold...

Some good commentary by Cometti. Foster is telling the umpire he took two marks.

bornadog
20-04-2022, 02:35 PM

Very funny and way over the top - loved Dougie

angelopetraglia
20-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Doug Hawkins. Too funny. My childhood hero. What a legend. When players were real characters.

Bulldog Joe
20-04-2022, 07:44 PM

Explains wht Dougie never won a Brownlow

Bulldog4life
20-04-2022, 09:42 PM
Crazy dumb rule. Who's next the coaches then supporters? So ridiculous.

Axe Man
21-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Crazy dumb rule. Who's next the coaches then supporters? So ridiculous.

Coaches and officials are already covered by the dissent rule and I don't have a problem with that. The players are playing a brutal game though and need to be cut some slack to respectfully question umpires and feel exasperation at times, that is not dissent.

Happy Days
21-04-2022, 10:33 AM
Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution (?) to whatever he believes the issue here to be on Footy Classified, which once again has me assuming this is less a real issue and more a content mine because no coach has been sacked yet and Essendon are shit.

The only real solution is to pay them more, which is the way that every other industry in the entire world attracts people to undesirable jobs.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution (?) to whatever he believes the issue here to be on Footy Classified, which once again has me assuming this is less a real issue and more a content mine because no coach has been sacked yet and Essendon are shit.

The only real solution is to pay them more, which is the way that every other industry in the entire world attracts people to undesirable jobs.

Absolutely. I read at junior level it's 25-50 bucks for a game or something like that. Whatever it is, should be increased.
Bullying should be treated like any other workplace. If someone is demonstrative in the extreme, they get a warning.
If the player can't control themselves they should turn away from the umpire, or maintain some distance.
Poor language towards umpires, again, like any other workplace.

Bulldog4life
21-04-2022, 12:04 PM
Coaches and officials are already covered by the dissent rule and I don't have a problem with that. The players are playing a brutal game though and need to be cut some slack to respectfully question umpires and feel exasperation at times, that is not dissent.

I was joking in my post however it will be interesting to see how many coaches throw their arms out when a free is given against their team. Chris Scott is a monty.

Sedat
21-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution
It is left-field but a number of the points he raised have merit.

The new dissent rule is akin to cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. The AFEL have absolutely no nuance or feel for common sense.

Grantysghost
21-04-2022, 01:03 PM

Spot on its so dystopian I'm at a loss to understand the logic.
You can be annoyed, exasperated, flummoxed, perplexed, straight up pissed at a decision and show emotion surely.

Psychologists will tell you there's an emotion - >behaviour pathway, as long as that behaviour is within reason it shouldn't be punished.

Holding out your arms in a questioning fashion is not unacceptable behaviour in any civilised society.

What are they smoking?

Ghost Dog
21-04-2022, 05:52 PM
You can be annoyed, exasperated, flummoxed, perplexed, straight up pissed at a decision and show emotion surely.

Psychologists will tell you there's an emotion - >behaviour pathway, as long as that behaviour is within reason it shouldn't be punished.

Holding out your arms in a questioning fashion is not unacceptable behaviour in any civilised society.

What are they smoking?

When you put it like that, it is really embarrassing. It makes the AFL look like a nanny state.

bornadog
21-04-2022, 06:02 PM
When you put it like that, it is really embarrassing. It makes the AFL look like a nanny state.

AFL have lost the plot

EasternWest
21-04-2022, 08:12 PM

What are they smoking?

I know that this is shifting the narrative a bit, but if the AFL really wanted to change something that just looks terrible, how about they stop the players spitting every three seconds?

Maybe I'm an old man with an onion tied to my belt yelling at clouds, but to me that's the most vile thing and just looks awful.

Daughter of the West
22-04-2022, 01:20 PM

What are they smoking?

I'm forever holding out my arms in a questioning fashion when arguing with my six year old, thank god we're not on a footy field together...

bornadog
22-04-2022, 02:04 PM
I'm forever holding out my arms in a questioning fashion when arguing with my six year old, thank god we're not on a footy field together...

Does she give it back to you :D

macca
22-04-2022, 03:52 PM

Is she giving you the dissent card ?

Daughter of the West
22-04-2022, 05:53 PM
Does she give it back to you :D

Is she giving you the dissent card ?

I get it back from him in spades I tell you... I can only hope the kid uses his questioning and argumentative abilities for good in his adulthood, rather than for sending his parents round the bend :rolleyes:

bornadog
22-04-2022, 10:05 PM
I get it back from him in spades I tell you... I can only hope the kid uses his questioning and argumentative abilities for good in his adulthood, rather than for sending his parents round the bend :rolleyes:

Sorry, not sure why I thought your 6 year old was a girl. :o

jeemak
22-04-2022, 10:58 PM

It's because you're old fashioned and don't have progressive values.......! :cool:

jeemak
22-04-2022, 11:00 PM
I love the commentary from Brad Scott about this, he was extremely sandy as a player and coach. In fact, if I recall, I remember being called out as "graphic" by EW when I posted a comment about how he had that sand removed in his coaching days!

Daughter of the West
22-04-2022, 11:10 PM

No stress! :)

bornadog
23-04-2022, 12:14 AM
It's because you're old fashioned and don't have progressive values.......! :cool:

I would have thought mentioning a female first was progressive - old fashioned called everyone a he. :D

Ghost Dog
23-04-2022, 12:06 PM
" There is no acceptable level of dissent." - Brad Scott

https://youtu.be/eLeck5T5048

bornadog
23-04-2022, 01:04 PM
" There is no acceptable level of dissent." - Brad Scott

https://youtu.be/eLeck5T5048

Surprised some of these coaches don't have a heart attack

Ghost Dog
23-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Surprised some of these coaches don't have a heart attack

Actually to be fair to Brad, he is the least annoying of the two. If this pantomime by opposition coaches were taken away from me, I am sure I would lose something. It's very enjoyable to watch them go bananas.