Essendon vs. Fremantle Marvel Stadium 4:40pm Fox Footy

Monday, Apr 18 - EASTER MONDAY

Hawthorn vs. Geelong Cats MCG 3:20pm Seven/Fox

Eastdog
12-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Bump

bornadog
12-04-2022, 05:26 PM
Bret Ratten won't coach this week due to Covid.

DOG GOD
12-04-2022, 10:03 PM
What a difference Ryder/Marshall makes to the saints…with Ryder missing, that will force Marshall to do most of the rucking, taking away that extra tall forward that allows King to go to work.

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Good contest between Adelaide and Richmond

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 07:26 PM
What a difference Ryder/Marshall makes to the saints…with Ryder missing, that will force Marshall to do most of the rucking, taking away that extra tall forward that allows King to go to work.

Saints replaced Ryder with Hayes and he performed OK. Max King got 3 goals

whythelongface
16-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Good contest between Adelaide and Richmond

Great game. Adelaide are looking good. They are a bit hit and miss but won’t be easy next week.

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Great game. Adelaide are looking good. They are a bit hit and miss but won’t be easy next week.

They've surprised me. Rachele had done bugger all but that hard running got him into the position to kick a goal was sensational.

GVGjr
16-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Good game for Adelaide, they were impressive.

whythelongface
16-04-2022, 08:22 PM
Good game for Adelaide, they were impressive.

Yep. Particularly in the third when Richmond came back from 25 down to take the lead. Thought Richmond would run over the top. But credit where credit is due Adelaide were able to stem the flow and regain a handy lead heading into the last.

They also play an exciting style of football. Not dissimilar to the way we play.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 08:32 PM
I've got a gut (it's big so I tend to listen to it) feel re the Giants tonight.
Think it will be a close game.

jeemak
16-04-2022, 08:44 PM
GWS are being a bit silly with the footy forward of centre.

Melbourne will do them by ten plus goals. They're an excellent team, wankers, but excellent at footy wankers.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 09:01 PM

Melbourne will do them by ten plus goals. They're an excellent team, wankers, but excellent at footy wankers.

19 inside 50s for 5 points that’s insane.

jeemak
16-04-2022, 09:28 PM
May has literally just kicked Hill and the umpires didn't call it, the commentators saw it on replay and didn't call it.

Disgraceful.

EasternWest
16-04-2022, 09:54 PM
May has literally just kicked Hill and the umpires didn't call it, the commentators saw it on replay and didn't call it.

Disgraceful.

I think in protest Hill should request a trade to the Bulldogs.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 10:14 PM
I've got a gut (it's big so I tend to listen to it) feel re the Giants tonight.
Think it will be a close game.

My gut lied !

OK officially over Melbourne, they can f right off now.

jeemak
16-04-2022, 10:32 PM
They are extremely well structured, and their game plan is pretty simple. However, their efficiency when they get cracking is excellent.

We have an excellent game plan that hides a relatively poor structure, and if we're not efficient we really struggle whereas Melbourne can hide things a bit if they aren't efficient either.

Both sides struggle if the effort isn't there in the engine room, though Melbourne at the moment are a bit more consistent in that area.

In technical terms we're an awesome side when things click, nobody plays like we do when it does all come together......except for Melbourne because of their structure.

Bevo's a genius, and I get that sometimes he's too technical, but he has to be to even compete with the likes of Melbourne.

jeemak
16-04-2022, 11:04 PM

Got there in the end.

Melbourne are too good at the moment. If sides just decided to lock them down with cynical footy at some stage it will be different.

jeemak
16-04-2022, 11:19 PM
So I guess the thing about how you might beat Melbourne, is if they are going to always come and string a few together do you decide to go defencive at the start, after they get a few, or after you get a few?

My view is they just need to be stifled from the beginning, they're too well structured and too dynamic to give any space. They may have a few lapses but they just have a bit more than everyone else.

The competition is ready for a schism of ultra-defenciveness to spook them.

bornadog
17-04-2022, 12:10 AM
So I guess the thing about how you might beat Melbourne, is if they are going to always come and string a few together do you decide to go defencive at the start, after they get a few, or after you get a few?

My view is they just need to be stifled from the beginning, they're too well structured and too dynamic to give any space. They may have a few lapses but they just have a bit more than everyone else.

The competition is ready for a schism of ultra-defenciveness to spook them.

Got to stop them from linking between HBF and HFF, that is where they get you. They will try and cause a turnover and they are off and hard to stop

EasternWest
17-04-2022, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure I've seen a team more prepared to work for their teammates than Melbourne at the moment. They run hard all game, but run even harder for each other.

They're also very unselfish too.

I hate to say it but I can't see anyone topping them this year either.

DOG GOD
17-04-2022, 11:22 AM
Their lesser likes know their roles and are playing it well. I’m talking guys like spargo, bowey, jordon etc.
Langdon is definitely one that needs to be curtailed.
And obviously Gawn and Jackson are the best pairing right now…
And ofcourse they have that Fritsch guy with the punchable head.
Are going to be VERY VERY hard to keep out of the GF at least.

comrade
17-04-2022, 11:38 AM
Melbourne play exactly how you’d want your side to play. Hard at it, talent in spades with work ethic to match. I actually think we have just as much talent pound for pound, but structurally they are far superior and their work rate across the group is at another level to ours.

Will take a significant turn in their fortune for them to miss out on multiple flags with this particular group*

*really hoping the kiss of death works it’s black magic here

Hotdog60
17-04-2022, 12:13 PM
Would they be susceptible to a physical team one that got in their face and played them hard.
I get the feeling that they are arrogant and cocky and if things didn't go their way they would start loosing it.
The Dogs in nature aren't that team sad to say.

Grantysghost
17-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Would they be susceptible to a physical team one that got in their face and played them hard.
I get the feeling that they are arrogant and cocky and if things didn't go their way they would start loosing it.
The Dogs in nature aren't that team sad to say.

Yes, Collingwood did exactly this at the SCG last year. Targeted Oliver.
At the moment they're controlling games and getting things on their terms early.
There needs to be some disruption, not sure what coaches are trying but it doesn't seem like much.

Sedat
17-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Finlayson's game is about as unimpressive as his hair.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Finlayson's game is about as unimpressive as his hair.

Very good. He is just woeful. He was decent at the Giants

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Port have nothing. They are slow, indecisive and lack any endeavour.

comrade
17-04-2022, 03:31 PM
Port have nothing. They are slow, indecisive and lack any endeavour.

Their prelim melt down exposed some significant mental weaknesses I think.

azabob
17-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Very good. He is just woeful. He was decent at the Giants

Not sure he was, he hid as a 3rd or 4th forward and still didn’t set the world on fire.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Good comeback by Port. Would love nothing better than to see the (medias) premiership favourites lose from being 50 points up. Hopefully it is the same old Carlton.

Grantysghost
17-04-2022, 05:17 PM
Sloane confirmed ACL.

Terrible for him. Good for us next week I guess.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 05:19 PM
Good comeback by Port. Just not enough. Carlton have a soft underbelly and will be exposed. Lucky to get wins against Port and Hawthorn. Even their win against us was lucky due to our inaccuracy late in the game. They are 4-1 so suppose give them credit but there are concerns

GVGjr
17-04-2022, 05:21 PM
Good comeback by Port. Just not enough. Carlton have a soft underbelly and will be exposed. Lucky to get wins against Port and Hawthorn. Even their win against us was lucky due to our inaccuracy late in the game. They are 4-1 so suppose give them credit but there are concerns

Another good quality contest.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 05:21 PM
Sloane confirmed ACL.

That is not good. I really rate Rory and a great clubman for the Crows.

josie
17-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Sloane confirmed ACL.

Dreadful. I like him and his never give in approach, always seems to play for the team not himself. Crows will still be dangerous with their tails up. Hopefully Ballarat ground will favour us.

DOG GOD
17-04-2022, 05:34 PM
The way Dwayne Russell salivates over curnow and McKay is sickening.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 05:47 PM
The way Dwayne Russell salivates over curnow and McKay is sickening.

He just grates on me all the time. Not only his voice but also his pathetic analogies. What was the one today - something like Hinkley won’t like 05 as much as Brock. Spare me please.

GVGjr
17-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Fremantle and Essendon is shaping as a decent game. I hate the way Essendon hug the boundary line though

GVGjr
17-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Blake Acres might have been worth adding to our list.

whythelongface
17-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Essendon living up to all their hype. Lovely.

josie
17-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Anyone watching bits of the dons vs Freo game? Intensity and skills looks the level of a pre-season match. Have Bombers on ball players stopped trying just a smidge? Interesting last quarter. Their fans understandably look glum after a third quarter like that.

jeemak
17-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Well this is pleasant viewing. Go Freo!

The bulldog tragician
17-04-2022, 08:28 PM
Well this is pleasant viewing. Go Freo!

It really is, especially seeing Bombres fans beginning the Bronx cheers. Gee their midfield is poor. Not only will they be lucky to avoid bottom 4 but it’s hard to see where their next flag comes from :) :) :)

comrade
17-04-2022, 08:41 PM
I rate Freo as a decent side but getting embarrassed by them on your home turf is a big oooofff.

You love to see it.

josie
17-04-2022, 09:02 PM
It really is, especially seeing Bombres fans beginning the Bronx cheers. Gee their midfield is poor. Not only will they be lucky to avoid bottom 4 but it’s hard to see where their next flag comes from :) :) :)

Enough high draft picks and a decent coach they could morph into a Melbourne - sheesh. I’ll go wash my mouth out with soap and water.

Who is their midfield coach? Is it Gia? Hope not.

Grantysghost
17-04-2022, 09:38 PM
We just need to pray Dodoro remains long into the future.

Happy Days
17-04-2022, 10:22 PM
Really rate Longmuir. Freo aren’t super talented but they defend the whole ground as well as any team in the AFL.

Grantysghost
17-04-2022, 10:31 PM
Really rate Longmuir. Freo aren’t super talented but they defend the whole ground as well as any team in the AFL.

Agree. They've built that defence first turnover game and it's paying dividends.

kruder
18-04-2022, 01:51 AM

When was the last time we have seen an Essendon team defend? I just don't get it, they have had a woeful team defence for years now.

I still remember after a 2017 final where the swans smashed them, they came out and said they needed more outside run! The swans mids smashed them at the contest and were running both ways at that point. They just never learn.

jeemak
18-04-2022, 12:00 PM
When was the last time we have seen an Essendon team defend? I just don't get it, they have had a woeful team defence for years now.

I still remember after a 2017 final where the swans smashed them, they came out and said they needed more outside run! The swans mids smashed them at the contest and were running both ways at that point. They just never learn.

A mate of mine called me after the game lamenting how badly his Bomber boys defend across the ground, and he fairly and squarely puts the heat on Heppel for not driving standards quite simply because he can't.

I think they probably need to get Kevin Sheedy more involved at the club. Oh wait, they've already done that, so they should probably now get a whole bunch of ex-players to come out and talk about how good Sheeds was......hang on, they continually do that.

We should get the skinny from 1ED as to whether his best mate Blake is disrupting things with his ambitions to coach a senior team.

bornadog
18-04-2022, 12:11 PM

I didn't see much of the game, however, in the 3/4 when Freo were doing what they like, Essendon players weren't even bothering chasing their opponents, they were really woeful.

kruder
18-04-2022, 03:08 PM
I didn't see much of the game, however, in the 3/4 when Freo were doing what they like, Essendon players weren't even bothering chasing their opponents, they were really woeful.

That's the thing with Essendon Bad you don't have to see the game, they continue to loose the same way. Carlton just now have woken up to the concept of defence obviously there more to it than that but intent is a big thing. I actually think Carltons best footy is second best ATM just a question can they do it for long enough. Harry and Charlie look the the new Buddy and Rough combo its a fair one wood.

Happy Days
18-04-2022, 03:21 PM
A mate of mine called me after the game lamenting how badly his Bomber boys defend across the ground, and he fairly and squarely puts the heat on Heppel for not driving standards quite simply because he can't.

I think they probably need to get Kevin Sheedy more involved at the club. Oh wait, they've already done that, so they should probably now get a whole bunch of ex-players to come out and talk about how good Sheeds was......hang on, they continually do that.

We should get the skinny from 1ED as to whether his best mate Blake is disrupting things with his ambitions to coach a senior team.

What they need is for Kevin Sheedy to invent another marquee game out of thin air for them to play in. That should do it.

comrade
18-04-2022, 04:54 PM
What they need is for Kevin Sheedy to invent another marquee game out of thin air for them to play in. That should do it.

How long until the annual Climate Change Clash, played between Essendon and Hawthorn and brought to us by the likes of BP and Energy Australia.

whythelongface
18-04-2022, 04:56 PM
Good start by the hawks. 33-10 1st qtr. they have some lively players - Newcombe, Moore

Injury to their ruckman and don’t have a replacement. Sounds familiar

DOG GOD
18-04-2022, 05:20 PM
Hawks playing a good brand. Newcombe is as tough as it comes. Just gotta keep taking their chances, particularly with their set shots.

bornadog
18-04-2022, 05:32 PM
Hawks playing a good brand. Newcombe is as tough as it comes. Just gotta keep taking their chances, particularly with their set shots.

I picked Geelong in my tipping which would give me 9/9, but prefer Hawks win.

whythelongface
18-04-2022, 05:46 PM

Adelaide over Richmond. Are you outta your mind?? ;)

azabob
18-04-2022, 06:41 PM

Cracking game. Your off season recruit wish in Gunston is playing a really really good game.

GVGjr
18-04-2022, 07:02 PM
Good effort by the Hawks especially without a ruckman for most of the game.

bornadog
18-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Good effort by the Hawks especially without a ruckman for most of the game.

Who needs a ruckman :D

bornadog
18-04-2022, 07:06 PM
Adelaide over Richmond. Are you outta your mind?? ;)

Gut feeling

MrMahatma
18-04-2022, 10:00 PM

I was in the same boat!!