19-04-2022, 05:19 PM
Freo Carlton should be a cracker

bornadog
19-04-2022, 05:26 PM
Freo Carlton should be a cracker

I went for Freo

jeemak
22-04-2022, 09:39 PM
Not watching closely, though seems like an OK game on tonight.

Heard ABC pre-game and Mick Malthause's gushing over Toby Greene to a Giant's official was completely over the top. I can't believe how these dinosaurs still behave like apologists for the umpire intimidating, face kicking, face gouging, security guard bashing and overall poor team mate douchebag.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 09:54 PM
Umpire dissent - Saints player says to the umpire the ball hit the ground and 50 m given. Game is officially a farce now.

Hotdog60
22-04-2022, 10:16 PM
Umpire decent - Saints player says to the umpire the ball hit the ground and 50 m given. Game is officially a farce now.

It's all a bit of a joke now and I have stopped watching the game and as I've said before if it wasn't for the Dogs I would give the game away. I can understand being abusive towards the umpire but this has got out of hand.

Testekill
22-04-2022, 10:39 PM
Himmelburg is a bit rubbish still.

jeemak
22-04-2022, 10:57 PM
Himmelburg is a bit rubbish still.

He's a real Jekyll and Hyde. A bit of a front runner as well I guess.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 03:10 AM
Throwing out your arms appealing for a free kick is not frowned on by the umpires but is after a decision is made. Fine silly line.

whythelongface
23-04-2022, 08:31 AM
Are St Kilda really boring to watch? That was the 2nd game in a row that they played that I had to turn off. They are obviously doing something right with some big wins over Hawthorn and Richmond. I didn’t watch those games thus wondering how they managed to rack up such high scores. Maybe I am just bitter seeing them near the top of the table.

G-Mo77
23-04-2022, 09:37 AM
Umpire decent - Saints player says to the umpire the ball hit the ground and 50 m given. Game is officially a farce now.

I turned it over and watched the NBL at that exact point.

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 10:23 AM

Really? How can they expect these guys to be robots.

I thought it couldn't get worse than stand but Brad Scott said hold my beer.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Really? How can they expect these guys to be robots.

I thought it couldn't get worse than stand but Brad Scott said hold my beer.

It was truly a joke. Wait till a GF is decided on umpire decent and then we will see the outrage.

No wonder Channel 7 is down 18% on viewers and Foxfooty 13%. Crowds are still not big either. AFL slowly but surely destroying the game.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 11:41 AM
I don't watch every AFL game now like I used to. I've started to follow Rugby League for the past 2 years. Once you know the rules it can be quite an enjoyable game to watch.

EasternWest
23-04-2022, 12:27 PM
Umpire decent

Far out the rona has really affected bad.

- Saints player says to the umpire the ball hit the ground and 50 m given. Game is officially a farce now.

Oh you mean dissent. Makes more sense now :):):).
That's our BAD.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 01:00 PM
Far out the rona has really affected bad.

Oh you mean dissent. Makes more sense now :):):).
That's our BAD.

Thanks for the correction, i was pissed off when I wrote that and didn't check.

Hotdog60
23-04-2022, 01:18 PM
I don't watch every AFL game now like I used to. I've started to follow Rugby League for the past 2 years. Once you know the rules it can be quite an enjoyable game to watch.

Wash your mouth out either I wouldn't stoop that low. :)

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2022, 09:37 PM

AFL has become frustrating and boring to watch. I still maintain bringing GWS and Gold Coast into the comp has done far more harm than good. The talent pool just isn't there to sustain 18 teams.

I mostly prefer watching the NBA to AFL, might have to check out some RL games soon too

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Knowing we wouldn't have Bruce for a large part of the season I think it's a missed opportunity that we never made a play for Levi Casboult. In wet conditions he's kicked 3 straight from limited opportunities.

Brisbane have been so accurate in front of goal. They'll take some beating this year.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Knowing we wouldn't have Bruce for a large part of the season I think it's a missed opportunity that we never made a play for Levi Casboult. In wet conditions he's kicked 3 straight from limited opportunities.

Brisbane have been so accurate in front of goal. They'll take some beating this year.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwH6yMO7ED5xc7S/giphy.gif

Barrell scraped with Levi. Did you watch the first half?

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Barrell scraped with Levi. Did you watch the first half?

A fair bit of it. Conditions aren't great for the key forwards

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 07:59 PM
A fair bit of it. Conditions aren't great for the key forwards

No it was torrential! I just can't imagine Levi adding anything to our team, not sure he gets us over the line yesterday for eg.
Respect others thoughts though I just can't see it.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 08:17 PM
No it was torrential! I just can't imagine Levi adding anything to our team, not sure he gets us over the line yesterday for eg.
Respect others thoughts though I just can't see it.

He's kicked 12 goals in the 6 games this year which is a fair return. As backup to cover Bruce that's more than a reasonable return.
I get he's the wrong side 30 and for some that is an issue but his performances over the last couple of years has been more than OK.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 08:19 PM
He's kicked 12 goals in the 6 games this year which is a fair return. As backup to cover Bruce that's more than a reasonable return.
I get he's the wrong side 30 and for some that is an issue but his performances over the last couple of years has been more than OK.

12 month contract would have worked till Bruce came back

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:21 PM

So like Martin?

Hotdog60
24-04-2022, 08:35 PM
12 month contract would have worked till Bruce came back

The only trouble with that is he'll kick 30 goals for the season and we'll give him a 3 year extension. :)

chef
24-04-2022, 08:38 PM
I'm happy to give Jamarra a development season rather than bringing in Casboult. Better for us long term.

josie
24-04-2022, 08:47 PM

Was about to post same thing. Would have given us a second tall strong forward who will not be easily bumped off. Would’ve been great I think in absence of Bruce. He’s goal kicking us much better. Also still appears mobile enough to act as a marking target when we kick down the line. Presume he can ruck a bit too like Bruce does. Would surely have been bargain basement price.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm happy to give Jamarra a development season rather than bringing in Casboult. Better for us long term.

Agree its so short sighted.

josie
24-04-2022, 08:49 PM

Could play both with Casboult as 2nd ruck (or main ruck given current situation) and play forward when Naughts or Marra on bench or allow Naughts to roam around ground and mark heaps and compete at ground level which he does so well.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Could play both with Casboult as 2nd ruck (or main ruck given current situation) and play forward when Naughts or Marra on bench or allow Naughts to roam around ground and mark heaps and compete at ground level which he does so well.

Do you think it would've made any difference to where we are currently?
The Suns lost by ten goals.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:04 PM
Agree its so short sighted.

We finished runner up last year, were you advocating a rebuild during the last trade period? :)
I get it's a popular to say give JUH a chance but are you also saying you would be happy for him not to be playing if Bruce was available?
JUH was really underdone last year and if he was plan A for this year then it was a poor plan to begin with.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:06 PM

Using the play the youth logic then why not promote all the youngsters regardless of form?
Given where we finished last year our focus should be on this year.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 09:07 PM
We finished runner up last year, were you advocating a rebuild during the last trade period? :)
I get it's a popular to say give JUH a chance but are you also saying you would be happy for him not to be playing if Bruce was available?
JUH was really underdone last year and if he was plan A for this year then it was a poor plan to begin with.

Would you be happy if Casboult was playing yesterday though?
You make a good point re hindsight but Casboult is just a very ordinary footballer. I'd rather have gone for Chol and he's useless too but he's young.

josie
24-04-2022, 09:09 PM

Possibly yes. Another strong target I50. Another player who can take a mark around the ground. A better back up ruck option than Cordy or Schache or Hannan etc.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 09:11 PM
Possibly yes. Another strong target I50. Another player who can take a mark around the ground. A better back up ruck option than Cordy or Schache or Hannan etc.

Fair call re structure.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:12 PM

That's not really the point though is it? The trade period was after our GF so surely we should have had 2022 right in our sights and addressing that a 48 goal kicker from 2021 wasn't going to be available.
You're using hindsight now rather than foresight in the 2021 trade period. It makes it so much easier to dismiss the objectives of preparing for another tilt.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 09:14 PM
That's not really the point though is it? The trade period was after our GF so surely we should have had 2022 right in our sights and addressing that a 48 goal kicker from 2021 wasn't going to be available.
You're using hindsight now rather than foresight in the 2021 trade period. It makes it so much easier to dismiss the objectives of preparing for another tilt.

It's totally the point.

I'm saying he's shit.

You're arguing Levi Casboult would've bridged the gap to Melbourne.

I can't agree.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:17 PM
So like Martin?

Not sure I get the comparison, Casboult would have been a place holder for Bruce or even Naughton. He might have also been able to help Ugle-Hagan in the event we were missing 2 key forwards. He could have taken the occasional run in the ruck which would spare Bontempelli and Naughton.

He could have been a structure player for us.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 09:18 PM
Not sure I get the comparison, Casboult would have been a place holder for Bruce or even Naughton. He might have also been able to help Ugle-Hagan in the event we were missing 2 key forwards. He could have taken the occasional run in the ruck which would spare Bontempelli and Naughton.

He could have been a structure player for us.

Ha well its a clear comparison with English right?

I'll give you right of reply but I'll agree to disagree :)

chef
24-04-2022, 09:18 PM
Using the play the youth logic then why not promote all the youngsters regardless of form?
Given where we finished last year our focus should be on this year.

I guess I'm talking about where the team is now, casboult isn't going to make a difference and Jamarra with benefit from playing a lot of games.

This is now a development year so hopefully we test out our whole list.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 09:34 PM
I guess I'm talking about where the team is now, casboult isn't going to make a difference and Jamarra with benefit from playing a lot of games.

This is now a development year so hopefully we test out our whole list.

But some here were suggesting his name during the trade period on the basis that we should be right around the mark of a top 4 spot this year but we needed to cover at least part of Bruce's 48 goals.
Playing the kids talk is the easy chop out when you are 2 of 4 after 6 games and have just dropped a heart breaker.
At 4 and 2 we would be looking for every win and not as focused on the longer term and looking to add a win against Essendon.

It's too early to throw in the towel.

azabob
24-04-2022, 09:37 PM

I’m sick of development seasons.

chef
24-04-2022, 09:41 PM

I think we all are but here we are. We arent as good as we thought clearly.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 09:45 PM
I think we all are but here we are. We arent as good as we thought clearly.

We finished 5th, previously out first week of finals after being beaten up.
The Lions game in hindsight was one of our great finals performances.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 10:22 PM

It's the easy option for many, you don't have to be as invested in the season if you are already focused on the next year or the year after that. The harder option is staring the season's challenges in the face and dealing with roller coaster ahead.

It's way too early to be writing off the season because I refuse to believe we fluked a GF last year. For a large part of it we were clearly in the top two sides of the competition and it wasn't our last roll of the dice.

chef
24-04-2022, 10:32 PM
We finished 5th, previously out first week of finals after being beaten up.
The Lions game in hindsight was one of our great finals performances.

It was a great finals performance up until half way through that 3rd quarter in the GF. That last quarter and a half may have mentally scared this group and we just aren't the same team anymore.

Maybe we just dropped the ball in trade week and stood still when we need to improve.

Something just ain't right.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 10:33 PM
It's the easy option for many, you don't have to be as invested in the season if you are already focused on the next year or the year after that. The harder option is staring the season's challenges in the face and dealing with roller coaster ahead.

It's way too early to be writing off the season because I refuse to believe we fluked a GF last year. For a large part of it we were clearly in the top two sides of the competition and it wasn't our last roll of the dice.

Agree, this is not a development year at all. We are missing key players but we must work our way through it. A long way to go yet.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 10:41 PM

Do you really think that's what people with an opinion contrary to yours are doing?

chef
24-04-2022, 10:41 PM

Haha I wish I couldn't be invested when we are going crap, would make my life a bit more enjoyable.

We didnt fluke the GF, but it also isn't 2021 anymore, we arent playing the same sort of football. I hope we can turn it around but I just dont see it. Prove me wrong Doggies.

chef
24-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Do you really think that's what people with an opinion contrary to yours are doing?

It felt a bit insulting but im sure GG didn't mean it like that. Everyone on here is invested in the club no matter what.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 10:46 PM

No, but I do think it's an over reaction to the loss yesterday. Do you think people would be viewing this year as a development one if we had won yesterday? Most would be licking their lips to get ahead of the ledger against Essendon next week.

We made the GF final last year after some scintillating form throughout the year so from a planning perspective 2022 was never supposed to be a development year for us. It may end up that way but after 6 games to me it's a premature call.

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 10:47 PM
It felt a bit insulting but im sure GG didn't mean it like that. Everyone on here is invested in the club no matter what.

No I get it, we are all invested it's a good discussion.

I can't abide Levi! Ever! I don't care if we are last first in the vfl or fdfl.

He sucks! XD

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 10:51 PM
No, but I do think it's an over reaction to the loss yesterday. Do you think people would be viewing this year as a development one if we had won yesterday? Most would be licking their lips to get ahead of the ledger against Essendon next week.

We made the GF final last year after some scintillating form throughout the year so from a planning perspective 2022 was never supposed to be a development year for us. It may end up that way but after 6 games to me it's a premature call.

Yep that is fair. I don't think it's a development year yet either, I'm arguing against the jeans! (Levi). But I get they're related.
Can anyone beat Melbourne, Levi or not?

MrMahatma
24-04-2022, 10:52 PM
But some here were suggesting his name during the trade period on the basis that we should be right around the mark of a top 4 spot this year but we needed to cover at least part of Bruce's 48 goals.
Playing the kids talk is the easy chop out when you are 2 of 4 after 6 games and have just dropped a heart breaker.
At 4 and 2 we would be looking for every win and not as focused on the longer term and looking to add a win against Essendon.

It's too early to throw in the towel.

Agree you can’t chuck in the towel. I would say we need to recalibrate our GPS to get to the destination. We aren’t finishing top 4. That’s done IMO. So we’re looking bottom 4, 4 finals. At best. It’s not impossible to conceive if the troops are back and fit. But, I think we were all hoping for (expecting?) a top 4 spot and a statistically better shot at a flag.

GVGjr
24-04-2022, 10:59 PM
Haha I wish I couldn't be invested when we are going crap, would make my life a bit more enjoyable.

We didnt fluke the GF, but it also isn't 2021 anymore, we arent playing the same sort of football. I hope we can turn it around but I just dont see it. Prove me wrong Doggies.

We did roughly the same in 2017 falling well short of expectations, perhaps we can't handle the spotlight when it shines brightly on us.
I think we learned then that it's not a case of flicking a switch and it's so much harder than that.
Richmond handled it superbly after a long time in the wilderness, Melbourne are making all the right signs so far this year.

I'm just very hopeful that if we hit our straps we can be a handful for the balance of the season.

boydogs
24-04-2022, 11:02 PM
We weren't that bad yesterday. Some of our lesser lights were actually very good. I thought Adelaide played well, particularly their small forwards and tall defenders. Naughton was well beaten which takes the team from GF material to mere mortals

Grantysghost
24-04-2022, 11:05 PM
We weren't that bad yesterday. Some of our lesser lights were actually very good. I thought Adelaide played well, particularly their small forwards and tall defenders. Naughton was well beaten which takes the team from GF material to mere mortals

Sometimes the other team is good. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.
I felt like we were a car with the hand brake on for most of the game, trying to break free of the clamp.
The crows played very well.

bornadog
24-04-2022, 11:43 PM
Sometimes the other team is good. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.
I felt like we were a car with the hand brake on for most of the game, trying to break free of the clamp.
The crows played very well.

A one point ball game doesn't switch you to development year.

azabob
25-04-2022, 10:01 AM
We did roughly the same in 2017 falling well short of expectations, perhaps we can't handle the spotlight when it shines brightly on us.
I think we learned then that it's not a case of flicking a switch and it's so much harder than that.
Richmond handled it superbly after a long time in the wilderness, Melbourne are making all the right signs so far this year.

I'm just very hopeful that if we hit our straps we can be a handful for the balance of the season.

It seems like we are scared of success doesn’t it?

We have never made finals after making a grand final. Why is that?

It seems we invent ways to trip ourselves up.
2017 we changed up our coaching structure and started moving on players for off field cohesion.
This year Beveridge is spending a lot of time using lack of resources as an excuse for why certain things are happening.

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 10:23 AM
It seems like we are scared of success doesn’t it?

We have never made finals after making a grand final. Why is that?

It seems we invent ways to trip ourselves up.
2017 we changed up our coaching structure and started moving on players for off field cohesion.
This year Beveridge is spending a lot of time using lack of resources as an excuse for why certain things are happening.

I'm not sure we are scared about success because we covert it. What we haven't been good at is backing up on encouraging and successful years and I'm not sure why we haven't been able to achieve that.
I wonder if we celebrate success a bit more than we should and that appeared to be the case in 2017.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Do you really think that? Not once has he mentioned that in his members updates and I only recall him mentioning lack of resources in one press conference.

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 10:55 AM
Do you really think that? Not once has he mentioned that in his members updates and I only recall him mentioning lasck of resources in one press conference.

I can't quite my finger on it BAD but I do seem to recall he's mentioned resources being thin.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 10:57 AM
Do you really think that? Not once has he mentioned that in his members updates and I only recall him mentioning lasck of resources in one press conference.

He's gone to that well a few times. Everyone's in the same boat.

How's your covid bad? It's hit my house now but somehow not me.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 10:57 AM
I can't quite my finger on it BAD but I do seem to recall he's mentioned resources being thin.

He did, but he is not using it as an excuse

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 11:00 AM
He did, but he is not using it as an excuse

Would he mention just off the cuff? I think he's tried to mention it as a reason why things are tough but a reason or an excuse might be a fine line. Lets say it's a factor.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 11:05 AM
He's gone to that well a few times. Everyone's in the same boat.

How's your covid bad? It's hit my house now but somehow not me.

Out of iso tomorrow, but wife has it now till Friday. You are lucky you can now leave the house as a close contact (with rules).

Hope the family is ok.

Yes all teams are in the same boat, and maybe mentioning it is a dig at AFL house, but not an excuse.

I looked at all the team injuries and West Coast are pretty bad, and then follows us with 12 players unavailable.

If we can get JJ, Keath, English, Hunter, VDM and even Hanan back it would make a massive difference. Bruce will be handy in last few games.

azabob
25-04-2022, 11:06 AM
Do you really think that? Not once has he mentioned that in his members updates and I only recall him mentioning lack of resources in one press conference.

It has been mentioned more than a few times. For mine everything Beveridge says is calculated and there is a reason behind it.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Hawks started well against Swans.

26 - 0

azabob
25-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Hawks started well against Swans.

26 - 0

They got out to 32-0.

Swans kicked the next 3 goals and are now 13 points down.

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Franklin's poor kicking has really put pressure on the Swans. More scoring shots but 14 points down

bornadog
25-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Poor Paddy McCartin, subbed out - concussion

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 03:33 PM
I see Paddy McCartin has failed a concussion test.
It will likely be a big struggle to get him back in the coming weeks.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 03:54 PM
Swans piling them on now

Happy Days
25-04-2022, 03:57 PM
Ladhams playing well. Could use a guy like him.

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 03:59 PM
Swans piling them on now

I really enjoying watching the play. They can take the game on.

azabob
25-04-2022, 04:07 PM
Swans are a really well balanced team structurally across the ground. A great mix of pace and in and under.

Hopefully Paddy McCartin is only out for week or two.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 05:44 PM
Lippa 7 disposals and Stringer 4 - going real well, but hey, they get to play in front of 80k plus

GVGjr
25-04-2022, 06:22 PM
How sad does this look

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRKbfPragAEx2L_?format=jpg&name=small

azabob
25-04-2022, 06:47 PM
How sad does this look

Reports coming out that he is ok, they were just being extremely cautious.

chef
25-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Makes you wonder if it's worth the risk.

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 09:43 PM
How sad does this look

Unless you're a Melbourne supporter and realise the Saints took him before Petracca.

bornadog
25-04-2022, 11:41 PM
Unless you're a Melbourne supporter and realise the Saints took him before Petracca.

At the time, so would I. He is a very talented player, just unlucky with concussion

Grantysghost
25-04-2022, 11:43 PM
At the time, so would I. He is a very talented player, just unlucky with concussion

I found the one guy.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 12:03 AM
I found the one guy.

Sorry I don't get your get humour.

Grantysghost
26-04-2022, 12:05 AM
Sorry I don't get your get humour.

I don't either.

I was joking you were the one guy who thought Mccartin was better than "TRAC".

But I get your point at the time yes it was probably line ball.

Hindsight hey.

Maybe I need a spell, I'll go back to lurking.

bornadog
26-04-2022, 12:10 AM
I don't either.

I was joking you were the one guy who thought Mccartin was better than "TRAC".

But I get your point at the time yes it was probably line ball.

Hindsight hey.

Maybe I need a spell, I'll go back to lurking.

If it was us, wouldn't we go for the big forward and not a mid? I guess that is what Saints thought. Yes hindsight is wonderful