BOG: Ads

bornadog
07-03-2022, 03:49 PM
Dogs by 17

First Goal Naughton

BOG Macrae

MrMahatma
07-03-2022, 04:01 PM
How good to have the gameday thread back. A fave. Wednesday night after a few beers and a couple of poor missed set shots and this bad boy will be alive with passion.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 04:33 PM
How good to have the gameday thread back. A fave. Wednesday night after a few beers and a couple of poor missed set shots and this bad boy will be alive with passion.

I shall enjoy reading, just reading xD

bornadog
07-03-2022, 04:45 PM
I shall enjoy reading, just reading xD

haha. I won't be reading at all.

Mofra
07-03-2022, 04:47 PM
If May plays, I don't think we win.
If he doesn't I think we're a chance.

chef
07-03-2022, 04:52 PM
Melbourne by 36
First goal Naughty
BOG Bont

mjp
07-03-2022, 06:09 PM
I am seriously not ready for this post or this season.

Just a coupla more weeks please fellas...the AFL wont mind the delay will they?

BornInDroopSt'54
07-03-2022, 06:49 PM
Dogs by 22pts
FG Tim English
BOG Macrae

DOG GOD
07-03-2022, 08:20 PM
Melb by 28 pts
1st goal - JJ
Bog - Bont
**and we will probably have more inside 50’s.

comrade
07-03-2022, 08:29 PM
Melb by 28 pts
1st goal - JJ
Bog - Bont
**and we will probably have more inside 50’s.

Lever to take 17 intercept marks.

bornadog
07-03-2022, 10:14 PM

Next week

Expected crowd is around 85,000 according to a Channel 7 commentator mentioned at a Bulldogs business function I attended tonight.

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 11:38 PM
Next week

Expected crowd is around 85,000 according to a Channel 7 commentator mentioned at a Bulldogs business function I attended tonight.

Pass.

bornadog
07-03-2022, 11:40 PM
Pass.

Does that mean you are not attending?

MrMahatma
07-03-2022, 11:43 PM

Saddle up for one hell of a ride!

Grantysghost
07-03-2022, 11:55 PM
Does that mean you are not attending?

Unlikely - not sure I’m ready for 85k! Not sure I’m ready for footy to be completely honest, losing that GF the way we did has me a bit spooked.
I’m sure I’ll come around.

Anyone else feeling the same?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2022, 12:30 AM
I'm not really excited by the start of footy this year, might be because other priorities have taken over but usually I'd be itching for R1.

comrade
08-03-2022, 08:29 AM
Just can’t get excited for it yet.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2022, 08:37 AM
I'm up for it and will be attending.

I have vacillated between real concern about how we will come up and very bullish about winning the lot.

Practice matches haven't helped.

GVGjr
08-03-2022, 08:49 AM
Interestingly I can recall after we won the flag in 2016 no one was up for the early part of 2017.
Perhaps there is a GF hangover for supporters.

Mind you some Melbourne supporting colleagues are right up for it.

soupman
08-03-2022, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty fatigued still from last year, and watching on tv again with all the pitfalls that brings does not excite me. Also don't like the idea of getting done by Melbourne first up.

MrMahatma
08-03-2022, 10:10 AM
Unlikely - not sure I’m ready for 85k! Not sure I’m ready for footy to be completely honest, losing that GF the way we did has me a bit spooked.

I’m up and getting upper… erm… you know what I mean.

I reckon if we get rolled big time, that’ll stop the membership drive dead… if we have a win, well… 50k no prob! There’s certainly a innate doubt that we can perform again. But I reckon we can and will!

Mofra
08-03-2022, 10:17 AM
I'm not really excited by the start of footy this year, might be because other priorities have taken over but usually I'd be itching for R1.
I'm excited for round 2. I just want round 1 to be over

Axe Man
08-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Looking forward to it. I don't expect to win but I am hopeful. If I only attended when I thought we would win I wouldn't have seen much of us over certain seasons.

I don't like watching on TV every week, I find I get more frustrated at home, need to get to games regularly. The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm somewhat is the Wednesday night, shocking scheduling when travelling in from the country.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 10:29 AM
If it gets to 85k would be maybe the biggest crowd anywhere for the year?
I know the MLS (US Soccer) had 75k at Charlotte for their first ever home game which was reportly the 3rd biggest of the year (can't validate yet).

EasternWest
08-03-2022, 10:51 AM

Some trepidation. And the fact that we STILL don't have a ruckman continues to concern me.

But I'll probably have the lid off at first bounce.

bornadog
08-03-2022, 10:53 AM
If it gets to 85k would be maybe the biggest crowd anywhere for the year?
I know the MLS (US Soccer) had 75k at Charlotte for their first ever home game which was reportly the 3rd biggest of the year (can't validate yet).

It will be our biggest Home and away crowd ever

Axe Man
08-03-2022, 11:18 AM
It will be our biggest Home and away crowd ever

I'm somewhat doubtful there will be 85,000, but since our previous high is only 68,000 the record should be broken.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 11:20 AM
I'm somewhat doubtful there will be 85,000, but since our previous high is only 68,000 the record should be broken.

Was that the Rd 22 1998 game?

bornadog
08-03-2022, 11:28 AM

Whether we get the 85k or not it will be big.

The 85k was based on ticket sales

Axe Man
08-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Was that the Rd 22 1998 game?

That game is number 2, apparently a match v Richmond in 1974 has it covered by about 400 people.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 12:35 PM
If you want to look really cool at next Wednesday's game this t-shirt is on special xD

https://shop.westernbulldogs.com.au/western-bulldogs-road-to-glory-tee-mens-updating/

Axe Man
08-03-2022, 12:41 PM
If you want to look really cool at next Wednesday's game this t-shirt is on special xD

https://shop.westernbulldogs.com.au/western-bulldogs-road-to-glory-tee-mens-updating/

Bargain! I would but 2XL and 3XL are a bit big for me.

Grantysghost
08-03-2022, 12:54 PM
Bargain! I would but 2XL and 3XL are a bit big for me.

Ha - after Covid probably about right for me. $30 still a bit rich!

chef
08-03-2022, 02:08 PM
I'm looking forward to having a different game to dwell/celebrate over. *!*!*!*! that GF memory off.

westbulldog
09-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Let us make a Round 1 statement and rain on Melbourne's parade.

Danny the snakeman
09-03-2022, 02:55 PM
I'm looking forward to having a different game to dwell/celebrate over. *!*!*!*! that GF memory off.

Unless we get flogged again and it just relives the memory :mad:

SonofScray
10-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Wednesday night can GAGF. Melbourne can GAGF.

See you all at the footy.

Go_Dogs
11-03-2022, 09:28 AM
In Adelaide and won’t be attending but will be watching.

I’m tipping us to win, despite getting rolled in the GF we’re as good as the Dees and our boys are up for the challenge and raining in their parade I think. Looking forward to it.

Dogs by 8
First goal Cody
BOG Daniel

The Bulldogs Bite
11-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Watching this 76ers v Nets rivalry begin, is getting me a little more invested in this Dogs v Demons rivalry.

I want to see some passion from our boys.

MrMahatma
11-03-2022, 02:39 PM
Watching this 76ers v Nets rivalry begin, is getting me a little more invested in this Dogs v Demons rivalry.

I want to see some passion from our boys.

It's interesting. What makes a rivalry? I think the GWS one is pure as there was also so much player movement between the clubs in the early days, capped off with the greatest game of footy in history, which just makes it matter that much more. Not to mention the crazy things like kung-fu Toby etc along the way. We hate GWS, they hate us.

Melb. I dunno... they beat us and that sucks. I sort of wanted them to lose even if it wasn't against us cause I like that they were always a bit crap. That said, I like Gawn. I guess I "hate" them in that I don't want them to have a good season this year, in some way cause we didn't after breaking the drought. But, in reality, they're just another team and this first match will sting but if we can win I say we'll move on from any angst. I'm sure the Swans don't get "up" more against us cause of 2016.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-03-2022, 02:41 PM
It's interesting. What makes a rivalry? I think the GWS one is pure as there was also so much player movement between the clubs in the early days, capped off with the greatest game of footy in history, which just makes it matter that much more. Not to mention the crazy things like kung-fu Toby etc along the way. We hate GWS, they hate us.

Melb. I dunno... they beat us and that sucks. I sort of wanted them to lose even if it wasn't against us cause I like that they were always a bit crap. That said, I like Gawn. I guess I "hate" them in that I don't want them to have a good season this year, in some way cause we didn't after breaking the drought. But, in reality, they're just another team and this first match will sting but if we can win I say we'll move on from any angst. I'm sure the Swans don't get "up" more against us cause of 2016.

It's not because we lost that there's a rivalry, it's everything that's been said/happened both pre and post game.

comrade
11-03-2022, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I reckon our blokes hate those Demons flogs. Would love to see us start some biff next Wednesday.

Grantysghost
11-03-2022, 02:49 PM
It's been there from prior to last year. I think the two clubs culturally are diametrically opposed.
Clearly it went to a new level.

Grantysghost
11-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I reckon our blokes hate those Demons flogs. Would love to see us start some biff next Wednesday.

Collingwood went hard at Oliver. I want us to do the same.

Mantis
11-03-2022, 03:23 PM

Besides Libba who do you expect to take it up to Melb from a physical stand point?

I can't think of many as we have a quite a few 'nice boys' in our team... and not many with any mongrel.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-03-2022, 03:29 PM
Besides Libba who do you expect to take it up to Melb from a physical stand point?

I can't think of many as we have a quite a few 'nice boys' in our team... and not many with any mongrel.

It only takes a few.

Libba, Smith, Naughton, Cordy, Duryea, Vandermeer, Keath and maybe R Smith wouldn't surprise and I doubt Bont, Dunkley, Williams and even Daniel would allow themselves to be pushed around.

I agree a few years ago we were 'too nice' but I don't think we're pushovers anymore.

comrade
11-03-2022, 03:49 PM

Would love Libba to lead the way and the nice boys to drop the halo and take a stand. Nothing stupid or over the line but I want to let those flogs to know we’re coming for them.

MrMahatma
11-03-2022, 05:23 PM
Would love Libba to lead the way and the nice boys to drop the halo and take a stand. Nothing stupid or over the line but I want to let those flogs to know we’re coming for them.

Is that when we play our best footy?

merantau
13-03-2022, 03:36 PM
I see no reason why we won't win this game. We defeated them comfortably towards the end of last season. Sure they flogged us for a quarter and a half in the GF. But they had everything going their way in the run up to the GF and we had everything going against us in the same period.

Don't forget it took a kick after the siren for them to overcome Geelong. They are not THAT good.

Dogs by 15 pts
First goal - Cody
BOG: Dunkley

Grantysghost
13-03-2022, 06:48 PM
I see no reason why we won't win this game. We defeated them comfortably towards the end of last season. Sure they flogged us for a quarter and a half in the GF. But they had everything going their way in the run up to the GF and we had everything going against us in the same period.

Don't forget it took a kick after the siren for them to overcome Geelong. They are not THAT good.

Dogs by 15 pts
First goal - Cody

They were getting smashed too. I knew that would make them feel invincible and so it proved to be.

They're an arrogant bunch and when they're full of themselves can really ride that confidence to good performances.

There will be a celebratory atmosphere in the crowd their fans are going to relive the GF they missed.

Be a big test of what we've worked on since the GF.

I too think we can win but hope the mental demons (ptp) don't get to us.

Grantysghost
13-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Do we think the stand rule has helped the Demons. They've got a good set of runners I think of all teams it's really been advantageous to them. Other teams run and fall into their trap with Lever and May then they rebound.
Opposite for the Tigers. They played that surge game and lock it in with structure.
Now it's easier to run through them.

What a bloody stupid unnecessary change.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-03-2022, 09:49 AM
Dogs by 1 point
First Goal: JJ

dog town
14-03-2022, 03:09 PM
More than a little bit concerned ahead of this game as we just don't seem to be firing.

It feels like we have based our forward line planning around appeasing English so that he doesn't leave at years end. Martin has lost weight to become more mobile as a forward and so far appears that we want to split the ruck 50/50 if not more in English favour. I have no problem with English in the ruck but this is going to decimate our forward line without Bruce. Personally I would be keeping Schache and English forward particularly this week but it doesn't sound like that will happen.

In both games so far we have looked at least 1 and possibly 2 genuine forwards short and one of them needs to be a tall. Very interested to see what we do with both Keath and Gardner available. Calling this now and acknowledge its unlikely but dont be surprised if Keath starts forward. There has been some vague comments around us not being able to play with our preferred set up and the intra club I watched earlier in the year Keath played forward.

The match up with Fritsch concerns me, we have struggled with certain types of forwards consistently and we haven't addressed it from a personnel perspective. This is the reason Wood had started having to play as a stopper because we are either short attacking defenders or talls. Dale and Williams actually have the right attributes to be deep defenders but we tend to want to play them higher and Williams struggles on slippery players.

Midfield will be a similar battle to last years games, if it stays inside and close we will work our way on top. If Melbourne can get the ball from the inside to outside quickly then they will hurt us. Lots of talk about what we should have done in the GF when they got their run on but the fact is they have powerfully built, explosive types in there and we don't It is about keeping it on our terms as long as we can because they just have a different set of skills to us.

Need to avoid easy intercept marks for Melbourne which is what concerns me. Their strength is the area we are struggling with right now and it will take a big turn around to change that. I don't think it is all doom and gloom, our mids are in good form (ball use aside) and we are reasonably healthy. Melbourne also has a couple of their preferred back 6 missing which seemed to unsettle them against Carlton.

boydogs
15-03-2022, 01:17 AM
Martin has lost weight to become more mobile as a forward

Is this an assumption or do you have a source for this?

Losing weight in your 30's is usually to prevent injuries which was much needed for Stef

I can't see him being an effective forward as he has lost his leap, he's a wrestling ruckman with good technique but not much else

dog town
15-03-2022, 05:14 AM
Is this an assumption or do you have a source for this?

Losing weight in your 30's is usually to prevent injuries which was much needed for Stef

I can't see him being an effective forward as he has lost his leap, he's a wrestling ruckman with good technique but not much else He has played intra clubs and all practice matches as a genuine forward. It may be to help with injuries but if the plan was for him to become a viable forward option and split the ruck more evenly then obviously he would have needed to lose weight.

soupman
15-03-2022, 09:05 AM
He has played intra clubs and all practice matches as a genuine forward.

Not the most inspiring tactical change. If a 35 year old pure ruck can't warrant selection unless he can play a position he has never been good at then why is he on the list?

Mofra
15-03-2022, 09:06 AM
Ok I'm not saying this could happen, but it is Bevo...

"Have got inside info that Josh Schache will tag Ed Langdon on a wing tomorrow night. Same individual gave me the Hunter info on Saturday also."

Schache does have a huge tank and Hunter was dropped...

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 09:12 AM

"Have got inside info that Josh Schache will tag Ed Langdon on a wing tomorrow night. Same individual gave me the Hunter info on Saturday also."

While I find that a strange move when we have Roarke Smith we are still children of the Bevolution so it could happen.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2022, 09:17 AM
While I find that a strange move when we have Roarke Smith we are still children of the Bevolution so it could happen.

Will be a great day when we let players settle in a role for a few weeks before moving them again… only applies to certain players I guess, but gee, our tall players are true utilities.

dog town
15-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Not the most inspiring tactical change. If a 35 year old pure ruck can't warrant selection unless he can play a position he has never been good at then why is he on the list?
I agree, I think what we have done so far is an attempt to keep English happy. Tipping we will persevere until it becomes obvious it isn’t working and either drop Martin or return him to the ruck. Hopefully he starts ruck tomorrow.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Martin and Cordy forward it’s clear we just want someone who can “create a contest” and keep a key defender away from Naughts.

We are going to persist with this is my bet.

azabob
15-03-2022, 09:54 AM

I think we all know the answer to this and it is because we chose against bringing in another seasoned ruckman to take Martin's place.

comrade
15-03-2022, 10:33 AM
Martin and Cordy forward it’s clear we just want someone who can “create a contest” and keep a key defender away from Naughts.

We are going to persist with this is my bet.

Thanks, I hate it.

Bulldog4life
15-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Interestingly Martin started his career as a forward for Melbourne.

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Langdon would love that situation I expect. Think Schache would struggle to keep up pace wise.

azabob
15-03-2022, 10:55 AM
Far I hate this Bevolution tripe already and the season has not begun.

Every season we always hear we are still trying to find the right mix of players...

Schache on a wing or forward - give me a spell. His only hope is to make it as a defender...

So frustrating we do not have any depth in our key forward and ruck ranks.

azabob
15-03-2022, 10:57 AM

That was more due to the fact he couldn't get the number one ruck spot.

199 games for 47 goals isn't exactly a great return.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 11:05 AM

I can remember his playing CHB as well. Genuine spare parts player early in his career.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 11:22 AM
So frustrating we do not have any depth in our key forward .

this statement is completely not true.

Naughton, Bruce, Schache, JUH, and maybe Darcy in the future. Tim also resting there.

How many do you want.

Agree Ruck is an issue.

Danjul
15-03-2022, 11:50 AM

Naughton, Bruce, Schache, JUH, and maybe Darcy in the future. Tim also resting there.

How many do you want.

Agree Ruck is an issue.

Between the six of them they produced 1 goal in the GF. (Last real game).

only certain permanent key forward in the foreseeable future is Naughton.

Martin doesn’t add firepower there and his game against Brisbane was poor (couldn’t jump as either a ruckman or forward).

What I hope to see is improved leading patterns giving better cohesion between midfielders and forwards.

And also the introduction of a new forward rule: maximum number of forwards in a pack is 1. ((saw 4 against Brisbane)

comrade
15-03-2022, 12:05 PM

How many do you want.

Agree Ruck is an issue.

Bruce is injured, Schache is playing in defence more than forward, JUH and Darcy are nowhere near ready. English is our primary ruck.

So we have 1 key forward ready to go.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 12:13 PM
Bruce is injured, Schache is playing in defence more than forward, JUH and Darcy are nowhere near ready. English is our primary ruck.

So we have 1 key forward ready to go.

How many more Key forwards should we have on our list as Azabob says we don't have enough depth.

dog town
15-03-2022, 12:21 PM
Melbourne will now have 3 of their preferred back 6 absent which gives us a chance if we can add some potency.

comrade
15-03-2022, 12:28 PM
How many more Key forwards should we have on our list as Azabob says we don't have enough depth.

I would have another ruckman on the list, to free up English to play forward. It’s absolute madness that we don’t.

And it’s not about the number of talls on the list, it’s the quality and likelihood of them actually having an influence. I would prefer having 3 key forwards on the list that are all quality performers, than the 6 you mentioned where only 1 is likely to actually have any impact on our performances this year.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 01:11 PM

We need at least one more of quality especially based on what Comrade has listed.
I guess we can potentially throw Cordy into the mix as well.
If Schache plays forward we will be OK.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 01:31 PM
We need at least one more of quality especially based on what Comrade has listed.
I guess we can potentially throw Cordy into the mix as well.
If Schache plays forward we will be OK.

The point I am making is based on list management, we don't need another key forward, but we do need a ruckman. Yes we have issues with Bruce injured.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 01:33 PM
Bevo press conference here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1077656/luke-beveridge-it-s-just-a-great-night-to-be-a-part-of-?videoId=1077656&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1647302526001)

Sounded like Hunter may still play, but refused to say yes or no. Did confirm Keath is playing.

dog town
15-03-2022, 01:45 PM
Don’t disagree we could do with another ruckmen but isn’t the issue that we are playing English ruck to keep him happy. I think everyone acknowledges we need him forward, the balance is right if Martin rucks but we can’t do it.

Would it be any different if it was Ladhams or Ceglar? I don’t think it would be.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 02:07 PM
The point I am making is based on list management, we don't need another key forward, but we do need a ruckman. Yes we have issues with Bruce injured.

And I'm saying we are still a tall light on regardless but especially understanding the LT injury to Bruce and the fact that both JUH and Darcy will take time.
We don't need as many fringe HFF types.

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 02:13 PM
And I'm saying we are still a tall light on regardless but especially understanding the LT injury to Bruce and the fact that both JUH and Darcy will take time.

Were we ever in the game re 2MP.

Hes limited but gives enough to be useful.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Were we ever in the game re 2MP.

Hes limited but gives enough to be useful.

No we were never into him. For starters I don't think we had the cap room. That's why Essendon got him for a minimal trade

bornadog
15-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Conversation is lost in translation.

EasternWest
15-03-2022, 05:18 PM
It might be bad parenting to have a beer while the kid is in the bath, but reading these immortal words is really firing me up for tomorrow night.

https://i.postimg.cc/LscrCGDL/IMG-20220315-161515487.jpg (https://postimg.cc/QBq4V4Rd)

Danjul
15-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Don’t disagree we could do with another ruckmen but isn’t the issue that we are playing English ruck to keep him happy. I think everyone acknowledges we need him forward, the balance is right if Martin rucks but we can’t do it.

Would it be any different if it was Ladhams or Ceglar? I don’t think it would be.

The problem with keeping English happy is it robs the team of its best possible result. We need a centre bounce ruckman and English isn’t one. Even playing as second ruck Darcy Fort made him look bad in that regard. English is an exceptional talent but he can’t handle a monster coming front-on. His natural preservation instincts kick in. Wasn’t he in the centre bounce when Melbourne got 3 goals in 60 seconds?

Mantis
15-03-2022, 09:18 PM
The problem with keeping English happy is it robs the team of its best possible result. We need a centre bounce ruckman and English isn’t one. Even playing as second ruck Darcy Fort made him look bad in that regard. English is an exceptional talent but he can’t handle a monster coming front-on. His natural preservation instincts kick in. Wasn’t he in the centre bounce when Melbourne got 3 goals in 60 seconds?

Whos was at fault though? The ruckman or the players at his feet?

FrediKanoute
15-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Whos was at fault though? The ruckman or the players at his feet?

Doesn't matter whose fault - collectively the set up failed and then failed to adapt. English was part of that set up.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 09:56 PM
Let's get a win in round 1 and aim for top 4 this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1uFiIo9FY&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

angelopetraglia
16-03-2022, 09:02 AM
Game Day. Can't wait to get to the MCG tonight.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 09:18 AM
Game Day. Can't wait to get to the MCG tonight.

Looking forward to it AP. Should be a cracking game.

hujsh
16-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Feels weird not being able to watch round 1 live but I have a dinner. Wednesday night footy sucks

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Feels weird not being able to watch round 1 live but I have a dinner. Wednesday night footy sucks

Absolutely agree. Insane scheduling.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 10:50 AM

Yep, it's not for everyone.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 10:52 AM

Also two Thursdays to follow

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Still barely excited.

Wednesday night is not a footy night.

angelopetraglia
16-03-2022, 11:43 AM
Still barely excited.

The game has changed. It changed a long time ago. Those of us were lucky enough to grow up in the era where six games were played on a Saturday afternoon can remember the good old days. Footy meant Saturday afternoon. This brought back some great memories of going around the grounds with 3KZ in 1981 from the Western Oval https://twitter.com/rhettrospective/status/1503642404842319872?s=20&t=hMYx4PBLe9Rrti-PuJAI1A

3KZ is football!

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 11:47 AM
The game has changed. It changed a long time ago. Those of us were lucky enough to grow up in the era where six games were played on a Saturday afternoon can remember the good old days. Footy meant Saturday afternoon. This brought back some great memories of going around the grounds with 3KZ in 1981 from the Western Oval https://twitter.com/rhettrospective/status/1503642404842319872?s=20&t=hMYx4PBLe9Rrti-PuJAI1A

3KZ is football!

I used to love looking at the scoreboard at qtr/half/three qtr time as a kid and filling in the around the grounds in the record.

I've got hundreds of old records with the scores in them.

comrade
16-03-2022, 11:48 AM
Still barely excited.

Yeah, screw the AFL for a) scheduling the season opener on a freaking Wednesday and b) making it the grand final re-match. Stupid decisions.

First time in a long time I can see myself losing interest in footy completely.

mjp
16-03-2022, 11:51 AM

I'm glad it isn't just me who feels the scheduling is freaking STUPID.

Leave footy to Fri-Sat-Sun.

This is dumb. I'm going to be trying to avoid the score (impossible) until effectively 10pm Melbourne time...beyond annoyed.

Jeanette54
16-03-2022, 11:55 AM
This brought back some great memories of going around the grounds with 3KZ in 1981 from the Western Oval https://twitter.com/rhettrospective/status/1503642404842319872?s=20&t=hMYx4PBLe9Rrti-PuJAI1A

3KZ is football!

It wasn't 3kz, probably AW, but I well remember Rex Hunt's call during the last tense quarter of a close 'Dogs vs Richmond game. "And for all those ringing to request around the ground scores, GO AND LISTEN TO SOMEONE ELSE". Love him or hate, Rex was truly a law unto himself.

Bulldog4life
16-03-2022, 12:01 PM

3KZ is football!

And lining up for the pink paper The Sporting globe on Saturday night with all the results and write ups of the 6 matches played.

Mantis
16-03-2022, 12:02 PM
Still barely excited.

I’m away with work in Central VIC… need to travel home this afternoon and then rush to get to the footy. Won’t get home until probably 11pm tonight and then up early for work.

The AFL don’t give a shit about the fans… just all for TV now.

Bulldog4life
16-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Doggies by 6 points in a nail biter.
First goal Naughty
BOG The Bont

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 12:06 PM
Demons by 20
First goal Treloar
BOG Dunkley

Bulldog Joe
16-03-2022, 12:07 PM
Dogs to win.
Nothing else matters!

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 12:07 PM
I’m away with work in Central VIC… need to travel home this afternoon and then rush to get to the footy. Won’t get home until probably 11pm tonight and then up early for work.

Same I'll be working until 6-6.30 then have to rush in if I decide to go.

Not making it something to look forward to. Definitely just TV audience now, although they get 80k I guess they're right.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Same I'll be working until 6-6.30 then have to rush in if I decide to go.

Not making it something to look forward to. Definitely just TV audience now, although they get 80k I guess they're right.

Of course they're right. They have fixed capacity in a growing market that's starved of footy.......doesn't mean they won't give each other a reach around when they do get the 80K, but good luck to them I guess.

The contrived traditional opener for Carlton and Richmond has forced this situation. The AFL giving each opening Thursday night to these clubs has left them inflexible to situations like we have this year.

Anyway, I'm jet lagged AF and my twenty minute nap this afternoon actually turned into a four hour sleep as I didn't get to set my alarm before I punched out the Z's, so should be wide awake by the time 0810 am rolls around.........

SonofScray
16-03-2022, 12:32 PM
Looking forward to going to the footy again, but the past two seasons of disruption and ticketing and then the fixture for the first three weeks has left me feeling a bit bitter.

My relationship with the game has changed significantly for the worse.

It’s going to take some really big moments and positive experiences in the stands and with the Club to undo the damage.

A strong performance, joyful and physical footy would be a nice start.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2022, 01:12 PM

Its a cash grab - but your commitment is laudable and lets focus on that!

Axe Man
16-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Leaving work early at 5pm, hopefully get there in time.

Hopefully home before midnight, the old man lives another half and hour further away.

It's not ideal but what can you do. It's better than watching at home.

MrMahatma
16-03-2022, 02:21 PM
I quite like Thursday night matches. Weds is a bit early in the week and I'd not be paying a great deal of attention (maybe?) if it wasn't Dogs playing. Living in Brisbane, going to the match isn't on the radar so a few beers and watching at home is pretty much my happy place... so, bring it on almost any night!

I def prefer night games over afternoon, personally, but it does impact my ability to indoctrinate my 3 daughters in the ways of the R,W&B. With daylight saving they should get to watch at least 1/2 of tonight. Hopefully we're 10 goals up by then and some of their scars from the GF are erased!

bornadog
16-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Flag unfurling is at 6:35, I won't be there till almost 7 so should miss it :) - yes I am still bitter :D

Crowd Wise, I can't actually see it topping 65k, even though they have been talking up 80K plus.

Is anyone considering wearing a mask?

Mofra
16-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Flag unfurling is at 6:35, I won't be there till almost 7 so should miss it :)
I'd imagine most Bulldogs fans feel exactly the same way you do.
If I was going tonight I'd certainly not get there until 7ish

Axe Man
16-03-2022, 04:31 PM
Flag unfurling is at 6:35, I won't be there till almost 7 so should miss it :) - yes I am still bitter :D

Crowd Wise, I can't actually see it topping 65k, even though they have been talking up 80K plus.

Is anyone considering wearing a mask?

Will also miss the pre game stuff due to circumstance rather than planning. I never thought +80k was likely, I saw a lower estimate the other day, 65k-70k seems more realistic. I only wear a mask where I have to.

ratsmac
16-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Dogs by 14
First goal - Treloar
BOG - Caleb Daniel

jazzadogs
16-03-2022, 06:10 PM
I'm on a train in to the game...either most bulldogs supporters have chosen to wear no supporter gear, or we're going to be disgustingly outnumbered tonight.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 06:15 PM
I'm on a train in to the game...either most bulldogs supporters have chosen to wear no supporter gear, or we're going to be disgustingly outnumbered tonight.

The working class hasn't left work yet :)
I'll be there at around 6.30pm and should be in my seat by 6.50pm. Looking forward to it.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 06:15 PM

Really disappointing if that is true

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 06:20 PM
Tom Morris has just tweeted that Caleb Daniel will be lining up on Ben Brown. We are looking to run off him
You can take that the bank :)

jazzadogs
16-03-2022, 06:21 PM

I'm also on the Glen Waverley line going through the MCC heartland so it is to be expected :p given its still early it is pretty busy. Can't wait for a big game!
Last time I was at the G I got Covid, fingers crossed no repeats.

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 06:59 PM

It's their home game and they're unveiling the flag so you'd expect that to be the case.

They all missed out so want to relive the glory.

Edit: I've retired from the match day thread when the games on xD (just realised what I was typing in).

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Lever confirmed out.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 07:17 PM
I'm also on the Glen Waverley line going through the MCC heartland so it is to be expected :p given its still early it is pretty busy. Can't wait for a big game!
Last time I was at the G I got Covid, fingers crossed no repeats.

I'm on the Glen Waverley line train as well.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 07:20 PM
LATE CHANGE: Hayden Crozier and Ryan Gardner come into the final 22, replacing Lachie Hunter and Stefan Martin.
Hunter the medical sub

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Does that mean Tom Morris got it right?

I like the Gardner inclusion not so happy about Hunter as a medical sub

Mofra
16-03-2022, 07:23 PM
If those rumours have come true, Schache's role tight well be worth watching ;)

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 07:54 PM
JJ out, Hunter back in. JJ injured himself in the warm up

Ugle Hagan the medical sub

bornadog
16-03-2022, 07:56 PM
JJ out, Hunter back in. JJ injured himself in the warm up
Ugle Hagan the medical sub
What the hell

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:10 PM
Gary Lyon is making me sick.

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:16 PM
2 inside 50s, 2 goals.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 08:17 PM
How many unanswered goals have they kicked against us now?

chef
16-03-2022, 08:17 PM
We are our own worst enemies. Let's just kick it to Melbourne

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:19 PM
We’re miles off it.

The Bulldogs Bite
Glad I didn't bother.

Woeful start

The Underdog
How many unanswered goals have they kicked against us now?

It’s not over.
Absolutely being destroyed for pace. Too early to say we’re done?

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 08:20 PM
It’s not over.
Absolutely being destroyed for pace. Too early to say we’re done?

Of course not, we will swing it around

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:20 PM
19 of the last 20 goals. Ouch

chef
16-03-2022, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's just about game over already.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:22 PM
Gary Lyon is making me sick.

Not as sick as Roarke Smith is making me I guess.

The Bulldogs Bite
Pretty disgraceful start.

Is Keath any danger on getting touch on Brown?

Get Roarke off.

comrade
The GF fourth quarter is still going, I see.

DOG GOD
Melb are probably 2 goals away from blowing us into oblivion

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 08:23 PM
Stop putting it on Weightman’s head. You may as well give the ball to Melbourne.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:25 PM
Playing like a bunch of scared pussies. Completely rattled.

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 08:26 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/pXSds6Kz/baby-run-omg.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Me walking in after I missed the start.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:27 PM
You want a million a year Dunkley you don't drop those.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:29 PM
You want a million a year Dunkley you don't drop those.

Or those.

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:30 PM
This is disgusting to watch.

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 08:31 PM
Maybe we should have studied the GF a bit closer. Looks like the 5th quarter of the same game.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Hannan you goose.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 08:32 PM
We're actually piss weak.

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:33 PM
Big class difference

Mofra
16-03-2022, 08:33 PM
If those rumours have come true, Schache's role tight well be worth watching ;)

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Is anyone really surprised ? I’m not.

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:36 PM
Is anyone really surprised ? I’m not.

I sent a message to my brother earlier today saying we’ll get pummelled. He scoffed and said it’d be within 5 goals. I said we’d struggle to kick 5 goals.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:38 PM
That's so so much better.

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:41 PM
Daylight robbery.

chef
16-03-2022, 08:42 PM
How was that a free?

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:43 PM
Good way to end the quarter. Hope that gives us some momentum. Still major concerns but there is hope.

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:43 PM
How was that a free?

Agree. Take what you can though

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Crozier has been ok. One of our better players

divvydan
16-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Been awful so far, lucky to be as close as we are. Need switches like Ed Richards did more often, as risky as they are.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Crozier has been ok. One of our better players

Agreed. I like Crozier when he lowers his eyes instead of kicking to the intercepting defenders. Good finish from him.

Hopefully we can compose ourselves with the ball and actually start picking apart the Melbourne zone. It's not impossible to do.

chef
16-03-2022, 08:52 PM
This is nice.

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 08:52 PM
This is so much better. Good work

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 08:54 PM
Reports of Croziers demise are premature. Been excellent

merantau
16-03-2022, 08:56 PM
Good work by Cordy

comrade
I sent a message to my brother earlier today saying we’ll get pummelled. He scoffed and said it’d be within 5 goals. I said we’d struggle to kick 5 goals.

Undefeated.

The Underdog
If we’re ahead in the 3rd and Melbourne kick 15 in a row. I’m gonna be pissed.

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 08:57 PM
Reality is as poor as we were early, Melbourne were running hot. We just needed to weather the storm and keep ourselves in touch.

We've looked really good since quarter time.

DOG GOD
What is going on ? Wow

merantau
Lovely kick by Libba to Astro. The way he hesitated and steadied - a real pro.

comrade
16-03-2022, 08:58 PM
*!*!*!*!ing hell Shaq!

merantau
16-03-2022, 09:00 PM
Who flicked the switch?

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 09:02 PM
I’ve held onto farts longer than Ben Brown held that mark

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 09:03 PM
If that is a mark so was Dunks in the 1st. Bull dust

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 09:03 PM
Hold your feet Weightman and nail that tackle.

ReLoad
16-03-2022, 09:13 PM
At work so can’t watch, how’s English going?

jeemak
16-03-2022, 09:14 PM
They refuse to ping Viney for throwing or holding the ball.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Haven’t scored for 13 mins

divvydan
16-03-2022, 09:15 PM
Melb 4 goals in a row, then we kick 8 in a row, now Melb 2 in a row and counting. Still feeling a little GF like. Love one before half time to stop that.

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 09:17 PM

Competing well enough, be nice if he could have more influence though.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 09:19 PM
Great Quarter

chef
16-03-2022, 09:20 PM
Cracking first half

dog town
16-03-2022, 09:22 PM
Our post stoppage ground balls were awful post our goal barrage then, cost us the chance of putting more on them.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 09:23 PM
The team that makes the most of their opportunities when the momentum comes their way will win this. We HAVE to score goals when we get the run on, and defend to the death when it’s melbs turn.

bornadog
First 15 min Melbourne on a high threw everything at us but on settled got hack into it.
need to keep it going.

Bont very quiet but he will come good

Jeanette54

Tim certainly hasn't been bullied by Gawn. So far a good performance, with a few marks around the ground and even at centre bounces.

merantau
16-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Petraca got them back into the game then. We have to shut him down some how. Need to stick our tackles at stoppages for a start.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 09:27 PM
English has been fantastic - one of our best.

bornadog
Centre clearance 4 to our 11

merantau
Our post stoppage ground balls were awful post our goal barrage then, cost us the chance of putting more on them.

Totally agree. Several missed tackles on a number of plays.

The Doctor
16-03-2022, 09:28 PM
I can't stand Jon Brown's commentary. Why is he everywhere, including On The Couch FFS? Shives me the gits.

ReLoad
16-03-2022, 09:28 PM
Tim certainly hasn't been bullied by Gawn. So far a good performance, with a few marks around the ground and even at centre bounces.

Breaking even with Gawn is a huge massive win.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Doesn’t look like our tackling has improved much over summer. Gotta be more ruthless especially against Petracca, Viney and Oliver.

Danny the snakeman
16-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Shac's brain fade killed our momentum.

comrade
16-03-2022, 09:30 PM

Hannan kicked one soon after that.

bornadog

yeah certain goal

whythelongface
English has been fantastic - one of our best.

Agree. His work in the middle has been great especially as he has been shouldering 90% of the ruck work.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Doesn’t look like our tackling has improved much over summer. Gotta be more ruthless especially against Petracca, Viney and Oliver.

Bonts tackle on Salem finished him for the game

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 09:34 PM
Bonts tackle on Salem finished him for the game

That's one tackle by one guy.

Dog god is right, they got back into the game on the back of Petracca et al being largely unchecked. We have to get better at tying them up.

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 09:38 PM

Actually thought some of the tackles we laid were good. Just need to stick more. But agree still needs improvement

comrade
16-03-2022, 09:40 PM
Bazlenka is a butchering it tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Keath looks dead set awful.

divvydan
16-03-2022, 09:46 PM
So, we let Melbourne kick one more then kick 15 in a row to finish the match?

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 09:50 PM
Ed Richards been very good

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 09:54 PM
Schache has made some pretty critical errors tonight.

DOG GOD
Schache is having a nightmare

chef
Stick a fork in Shaq please. Hes not an AFL footballer.

comrade
You break my heart Josh.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 09:55 PM
Schache can't help himself.

DOG GOD
Looks like we have played our 15 mins.

The Bulldogs Bite
Literally going to script of the GF.

Not sure Schache can be defended anymore... Yikes.

comrade
16-03-2022, 09:56 PM
Demons just playing rope a dope with us.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Not a good entry Jacko, need it to go deeper when the momentum is with them.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Need the next one. We can turn this around again

jeemak
16-03-2022, 09:59 PM
How is that not a free against Pickett?

comrade
16-03-2022, 10:01 PM
God we make some horrid decisions.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 10:02 PM
About 35 mins since we kicked a goal…someone, anyone, score.
How did we kick 8 in a row lol

comrade
16-03-2022, 10:03 PM
We picked a short team, proving itself now.

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 10:03 PM
Melbourne are boring us to death

jeemak
16-03-2022, 10:04 PM
Our talls aren't good enough in the air or by foot. Some can do one, but not the other.

chef
16-03-2022, 10:05 PM
Flea is having a shocker, can't lay a tackle

DOG GOD
Heads dropping.

The Bulldogs Bite
We've played about 15 minutes of football tonight

comrade
16-03-2022, 10:07 PM
This is going to get ugly.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 10:08 PM
Need to reset and get going again.

The Underdog
Flea is having a shocker, can't lay a tackle

Him and Laith just aren’t doing enough. JJ will walk back into the team.
Hannan has disappeared

EasternWest
I like Laitham but I can't see why he's ahead of Garcia, Scott or McNeil

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 10:09 PM
Our talls aren't good enough in the air or by foot. Some can do one, but not the other.

Pretty much sums it up. That is the main difference as well as decision making.
I like the Shaq but he needs to take those marks same with Gardner.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:09 PM

Weightman needs to stop going to ground and playing for free kicks. It's the reason why I wouldn't have picked him tonight. It became a bad habit last year and it has continued in the preseason.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-03-2022, 10:10 PM
Hannan has disappeared
Difficult to see a winning forward 50 with VDM, Cordy, Hannan Schaky, Libba and Hunter

whythelongface
16-03-2022, 10:11 PM
I don’t think we can turn this around but we need to hang in there and not lose a cricket score. That will kill our season

merantau
16-03-2022, 10:12 PM
We have made some shocking errors by hand and foot but we are still a chance. However, the signs are not good. We simply cannot afford to let them get off to a good start this quarter. All shoulders to the wheel please.

comrade
16-03-2022, 10:13 PM
Hard to believe you can have 19 entries without a goal scored.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:14 PM
Williams has been droppable.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:19 PM
Gotta love Naughty. He just needs help

comrade
16-03-2022, 10:20 PM
Thank god for that big scruffy bastard!

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Will someone piss on his head to dilute his spray

EasternWest
16-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Liberatore looks 100 years old tonight.

kruder
16-03-2022, 10:23 PM
Vandermeer was one player I was looking for improvement tonight after a poor season last year and some questionable practice match form. Only early in the season but he has been bloody poor tonight.

Schache fails on the big stage again unfortunately.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:25 PM
Liberatore looks 100 years old tonight.

It's the worst I've ever seen him look.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 10:26 PM
Seems the interpretation of holding the ball is out the door already.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 10:27 PM
Vandermeer was one player I was looking for improvement tonight after a poor season last year and some questionable practice match form. Only early in the season but he has been bloody poor tonight.

Schache fails on the big stage again unfortunately.

Vanders plays coz he has pace. Questionable everything else.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 10:28 PM
It's the worst I've ever seen him look.
I know it’s only round 1, but he could be in for a quick decline.

azabob
Schache forward or back?

comrade
Vanders can’t play next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 10:30 PM
Drop Williams.

Pathetic.