PDA

View Full Version : Richmond: Are they for real in 2022

mjp
11-03-2022, 11:13 PM
I have started to do some reading/listening to 2022 preview stuff and the one constant seems to be this:

'Richmond will be BACK'.

The reasoning seems to be:
- Destroyed by injury last year...but were still considered 'a chance' until about round 15.
- Dusty will be back to his best.
- Full pre-season for the flying meatball (Prestia)
- Tarrant allowing Balta to go forward.
- Proven game-style

Any negatives would be:
- Short still unsighted this pre-season and status seems unclear.
- The long-haired kid playing in Houli's spot isn't Houli...is he going to be able to stand-up.
- Losing Coleman-Jones and Chol really hurts their depth (on top of losing Higgins the year before).
- They are getting OLD.
- Unispired leadership selections - Grimes and Nank - can Nank even be guaranteed a game at this point.

So...what do we think. Are they back? Are they still out? Are they improving a bit but still not good enough? Are they sinking like a stone?

boydogs
12-03-2022, 12:02 AM
Balta going forward lol

They did well to stay up as long as they did when their pressure game was the cornerstone of their success, they'll be mid table

ratsmac
12-03-2022, 03:04 AM
I voted 9-13 and I agree with Boydogs that they did well to keep a good thing going for as long as they did. But imo they have aged and there have been a couple of critical retirements that may have the cards folding against them. They are definitely not to be taken lightly that's for sure but we haven't seen enough young talent shine through to say they could be a premiership threat 5 years after their first with this list.

Grantysghost
12-03-2022, 09:22 AM
I went 5 to 8.

I think they've still got enough talent to be a threat if everything goes right for them and theyll win enough games at the G.
Not sure if Tarrant will cover the Astbury loss and Cotchin is way passed his best.
So much depends on Martin also. If he can get back to his best and the rest of the team cover him defensively so he can play his natural game anything can happen.

I think just outside the top 4.

GVGjr
12-03-2022, 09:30 AM
They can make the top 8 but should now be rebuilding. They'll acquit themselves well but run into bad patches of form.

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2022, 12:10 PM
The depth was exposed last year and was not good enough. Adding Tarrant is hardly going to reinvigorate as he is towards the end.

Dusty back to his best may also be difficult as it was a very serious injury and he his likely to have a few mental scars about that type of incident.

I think they miss and expect Carlton to win next week.

The Doctor
13-03-2022, 10:18 AM
I've put them in the 5-8 option.

Their best is still good enough to test the best teams. They proved that last year when they gave us a workover. They still have a lot of terrific players on their list. They are well coached and the club is superbly run. It's still a good mix.

I can't see them going all the way however as quite a few of their star players are getting a bit long in the tooth. The players who will be 30yo+ this year include; Dusty, Cotchin, Caddy, Edwards, Grimes, Lambert, Lynch, Pickett, Prestia, Riewoldt & Tarrant. Thats half the team.

Melbourne in comparison only Brown, Gawn, Hibberd & May from their premiership who are in the veteran part of their careers. Dogs runner up team also only 4 in JJ, Libba, Keath & Duryea (Bruce inj).

Richmond's list does run deep however and unlike Geelong do have good youth coming through led by Balta, Soldo & Bolton who are coming into their prime. Their fleet of smalls are also in their prime years. I do like how they hit the draft last year to begin the regeneration while they still have a strong list.

I expect their defence to still be fairly strong and their forward line still has enough firepower. My concern is their much vaunted midfield. Dusty & Cotchin are no longer 25-28. Can they still perform at that level and do it all year? Are the fellow midfielders match winners in the way they are if they are down or injured? I don't think so.

They are experienced, cunning and have a good mix overall. Just a query on the ages of their superstars leads me to think they can make the finals but will fall short.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2022, 05:29 AM
I have them 5 to 8, but reckon they have a chance at one more flag before the decline sets in. Having a guy like Dusty in your team gives them the x facto edge and their top 15 players are still good enough. Question is whether they want to!

Go_Dogs
15-03-2022, 09:20 AM
I had them twelfth on my ladder.

Too old, out dated game style and lacking elite talent. A great side at their peak, but that time is long gone.

Bulldog Revolution
15-03-2022, 11:55 AM
Has their midfield has expired? Cotchin looked like he had a big game or two left but couldnt stay glued together, Martin obviously got injured, Prestia was injured,MIA, Caddy even though not really a mid looked cooked, Nank had patches of reasonable form, Lambert, McIntosh etc have had a great run of injury free footy - can it continue?

Theres a chance for me that they can be exposed midfield and that they dont have the engine room to really challenge when the whips are cracking

Happy Days
17-03-2022, 04:13 PM
They’re gonna be just as bad this year as they were last year. I especially loved how for 4 years we were told over and over again how it wasn’t all Dusty and they’re a champion team and you have to respect the hard running of Kamdyn Macintosh or whatever, and then the actual literal second Dusty gets injured they turn into a bottom 4 side.

Tarrant is washed, Balta sucks, no one thinks 2020 counted. They’re done.

bornadog
17-03-2022, 04:28 PM
They’re gonna be just as bad this year as they were last year. I especially loved how for 4 years we were told over and over again how it wasn’t all Dusty and they’re a champion team and you have to respect the hard running of Kamdyn Macintosh or whatever, and then the actual literal second Dusty gets injured they turn into a bottom 4 side.

Tarrant is washed, Balta sucks, no one thinks 2020 counted. They’re done.

I thought you loved Balta :D

The Doctor
17-03-2022, 08:43 PM
Richmonds delivery inside 50 in the opening term has been outstanding so far. Hope Dogs coaches are watching.

We need a player like Bolton!

comrade
17-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Richmonds delivery inside 50 in the opening term has been outstanding so far. Hope Dogs coaches are watching.

We need a player like Bolton!

Lipinski might still make it…

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 08:53 PM
Lipinski might still make it…

Why did we get rid of Lippa. Silk. I rate him.

EasternWest
17-03-2022, 09:11 PM

I like him too but there was no denying he was one paced and couldn't tackle.

Still I hope he does well he seems a good guy.

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 09:19 PM
I like him too but there was no denying he was one paced and couldn't tackle.

Still I hope he does well he seems a good guy.

I remember sitting in the bar at Ballarat post match and he was the sub that day or emergency (Lions game last year).

The amount of work he put in on the oval afterwards was incredible, and he seemed like the ultimate pro was timing everything was talking to the trainer.

So many of our guys butcher it, feels weird to let go a guy who can dispose of it for nothing of note.

azabob
17-03-2022, 09:43 PM

He left, we offered a contract from memory

EasternWest
17-03-2022, 09:46 PM
I remember sitting in the bar at Ballarat post match and he was the sub that day or emergency (Lions game last year).

The amount of work he put in on the oval afterwards was incredible, and he seemed like the ultimate pro was timing everything was talking to the trainer.

So many of our guys butcher it, feels weird to let go a guy who can dispose of it for nothing of note.

Not to take away from the fact that I largely agree with you (except for his weaknesses) but isn't that a requirement of every sub that doesn't play?

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Not to take away from the fact that I largely agree with you (except for his weaknesses) but isn't that a requirement of every sub that doesn't play?

Yes but I saw that one xD

Actually I remember now he was running with Cordy and he just appeared way more committed. It's hard to quantify.
Checking his watch each interval, talking to the trainer it wasn't just doing it because he had to. It was doing to to get better.

Grantysghost
17-03-2022, 10:01 PM
He left, we offered a contract from memory

So did Callan Ward. Just kidding but sometimes I wonder about these offers.

jazzadogs
17-03-2022, 11:02 PM
To answer the thread...nah

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2022, 01:16 PM
Bit of a weird game.

Richmond looked good early, then Carlton looked too strong in the midfield. Richmond kicked away again in the third before Carlton's midfield dominance then really took its toll.

Richmond probably look like being a plucky side in the 6th-10th range. Their midfield looks pretty average.

Carlton look like they have improved. They always tend to give us headaches so next week won't be easy.

comrade
19-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Bit of a weird game.

Richmond looked good early, then Carlton looked too strong in the midfield. Richmond kicked away again in the third before Carlton's midfield dominance then really took its toll.

Richmond probably look like being a plucky side in the 6th-10th range. Their midfield looks pretty average.

Carlton look like they have improved. They always tend to give us headaches so next week won't be easy.

Our first month is very tricky.