PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round One v Melbourne at the G

Scraggers
14-03-2022, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our Grand Final rematch against Melbourne at the G this Wednesday? Some of these are forced changes others out of necessity.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

EasternWest
14-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Dunkley first ruck. If jeemak is getting his way and we're trading him then we should play him in his natural position from the first bounce.

dog town
14-03-2022, 07:49 PM
Hunter has been dropped apparently.

GVGjr
14-03-2022, 07:54 PM
Hunter has been dropped apparently.

Thanks for sharing, that's huge news

bornadog
14-03-2022, 08:13 PM
GF Team

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams.
HB: Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale.
C: Bailey Smith, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter.
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar.
F: Josh Schache, Tim English, Mitch Hannan.
R: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli.

Ins/outs for Round 1?

We know - OUT: Wood, Hunter

Other changes?

MrMahatma
14-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's huge news

Big call. Maybe Richards on the wing and Crozier plays HB?

GVGjr
14-03-2022, 09:36 PM
Big call. Maybe Richards on the wing and Crozier plays HB?

Good suggestion

bornadog
14-03-2022, 09:49 PM
If you listen to the members update by Bevo (and Johnno), Bevo says a number of players still not 100% after getting Covid.

Other than Hunter, I wonder if Libba is right to go?

Go_Dogs
14-03-2022, 11:14 PM
Hunter hasn’t played well in the very brief patches of pre season I’ve seen (not much) however very surprised if he isn’t a first choice player so it must surely be covid or something else.

G-Mo77
14-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Here we go again......

:D

bornadog
14-03-2022, 11:36 PM
Out: Wood Hunter

In: Jones Richards

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 12:54 AM
Hunter hasn’t played well in the very brief patches of pre season I’ve seen (not much) however very surprised if he isn’t a first choice player so it must surely be covid or something else.

They've been pretty clear it's form related.

Vred
15-03-2022, 01:08 AM
Word on the street is we have a debutant

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 01:30 AM
Word on the street is we have a debutant

Any name there Vred?

Vred
15-03-2022, 03:44 AM
Any name there Vred?

nothing solid but my money is on Jones, that's what a lot of people are running with. ***SUPPOSEDLY***, according to a facebook post, his family is preparing to fly out to Vic tomorrow.

Grain of salt, but we'll see.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 04:41 AM
nothing solid but my money is on Jones, that's what a lot of people are running with. ***SUPPOSEDLY***, according to a facebook post, his family is preparing to fly out to Vic tomorrow.

Grain of salt, but we'll see.

I'll go with McComb if it is to be a debut.

soupman
15-03-2022, 09:06 AM
I'll go with McComb if it is to be a debut.

I think this will happen. Textbook Beveridge selection. Cant say I'm excited, but happy for him.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2022, 09:06 AM
They've been pretty clear it's form related.

Interesting. Thanks.

mjp
15-03-2022, 09:35 AM
i'll go with mccomb if it is to be a debut.

jones!!!

Go_Dogs
15-03-2022, 09:38 AM
jones!!!

Love this if it turns out to be Jones.

Bevo great at manufacturing some enthusiasm with a new debutant early and Jones has a complementary set of skills for our side, so like this a lot.

MrMahatma
15-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Would be great to see Jones get a game.

Mofra
15-03-2022, 10:26 AM
Would be great to see Jones get a game.
He may just get the chance to debut in one of the largest H&A games in our history.

I have a sneaking suspicion it won't be the only surprise we get, although 1-2 other surprises might be positional rather than personnel.

Axe Man
15-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Out: Wood Hunter

In: Duryea, Richards

Duryea played in the grand final.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-03-2022, 10:32 AM
I hope it's not McComb. I'm not against the guy, and hope he can push for some games. But based on what I saw against Brisbane, he doesn't look ready for this level. To be fair, I thought the same when Picken first played, and also Anthony Scott.

Axe Man
15-03-2022, 10:35 AM
I hope it's not McComb. I'm not against the guy, and hope he can push for some games. But based on what I saw against Brisbane, he doesn't look ready for this level. To be fair, I thought the same when Picken first played, and also Anthony Scott.

Agreed, I was unimpressed. Doesn't mean he won't be any good but I think there are still a few ahead of him at this stage.

Went to enter the pick the best 22 competition - email says it closes at 12pm today - and it's already closed. :confused:

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 10:37 AM
jones!!!

It will be exciting if it's true. Perhaps Bevo let it slip with the Brad Johnson chat.

comrade
15-03-2022, 11:09 AM

He’s nowhere near ready.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Duryea played in the grand final.

Cheers, I will change to Jones :o

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Cheers, I will change to Jones :o

Jones isn't ready is he?

bornadog
15-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Jones isn't ready is he?

Just going on rumours.

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Just going on rumours.

Be a big call on a half of footy v Dons?

Especially the magnitude of the game.

More likely to be McComb as others have alluded to.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Bevo's presser on AFL.com.au got a bit sticky right off the bat, with the first question about Hunter's possible omission.
Bevo refused to answer it as he said it's just one journalist's speculation, and the team will be announced this afternoon.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Bevo's presser on AFL.com.au got a bit sticky right off the bat, with the first question about Hunter's possible omission.
Bevo refused to answer it as he said it's just one journalist's speculation, and the team will be announced this afternoon.

Lets hope Hunter is good to go, he's an important player for us.

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 02:13 PM
Lets hope Hunter is good to go, he's an important player for us.

If he doesn't play there's something off field going on surely.

He's in our best 22 and is a meticulous trainer.

Didnt notice any obvious poor form either.

EasternWest
15-03-2022, 02:26 PM
jones!!!

Be a big call on a half of footy v Dons?

Especially the magnitude of the game.

My body is ready. Rip the lid off.

Je suis Arthur.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 02:28 PM
If he doesn't play there's something off field going on surely.

He's in our best 22 and is a meticulous trainer.

Didn't notice any obvious poor form either.

As mentioned by Bevo 3/4 of players had Covid a few have not recovered 100%

He did look lethargic in the practice match v Lions

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 03:28 PM
As mentioned by Bevo 3/4 of players had Covid a few have not recovered 100%

He did look lethargic in the practice match v Lions

I shouldn't be a rumour guy, Covid makes sense.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Wednesday 16 March, 7.10pm AEDT
MCG

B: Ed Richards, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter
HF: Cody Weightman, Josh Schache, Adam Treloar
F: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Jason Johannisen
R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Stefan Martin, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith

Emer: Ryan Gardner, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Robbie McComb, Hayden Crozier

So Hunter is named on the wing. The mail was incorrect.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2022, 07:24 PM
So change from GF.

Out: Wood, Dureyea
In: Richards, Vanda (Sub in GF)

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Great team, I would have played Gardner but can't complain.

Dogs by 23 points.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 07:27 PM
Great team, I would have played Gardner but can't complain.

Dogs by 23 points.
Gardner had a niggle so may not have come up

JUH emergency

Jeanette54
15-03-2022, 07:37 PM
With the possible exception of Ryan Gardiner being left out, it looks like a team picked on practice match form. No surprise selections.

PS: Bevo's moustache is looking more Merve Hughes each day.

Testekill
15-03-2022, 07:43 PM
About the standard team, disappointed that Cordy is still a first choice KPD. Watch Brown take 20 barely contested marks on him.

Dry Rot
15-03-2022, 07:43 PM
I would have liked to see Dureyea and Gardner in.

azabob
15-03-2022, 07:49 PM
I would have liked to see Dureyea and Gardner in.

Dureya hasn’t really played any pre season games so not surprising.

I, like majority prefer Gardner over Cordy.

comrade
15-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Feels very short down back.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2022, 08:05 PM

Bulldogs back six (Avg 187cm with the super short Caleb)

Richards 186cm
Keath 200cm
Williams 187cm
Daniel 168cm
Cordy 195cm
Dale 187cm

Melbourne back six (187cm)

Smith 191cm
May 193cm
Salem 184cm
Bowey 176cm
Lever 195cm
Harmes 186cm

Melbourne backline not to dissimilar in height. We also have Schache who is 199cm who can be thrown back there too. Height ain't the issue. Ability of tall defenders besides Keath to beat their main in the air is another issue.

divvydan
15-03-2022, 08:15 PM
Gardiner or Crozier make the most sense to me as sub. Hope it's not McComb, debuting as a sub feels kind of deflating.

GVGjr
15-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Gardner had a niggle so may not have come up

JUH emergency

He's on the emergency list so I take that as good to go.

kruder
15-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Wow no surprises/shiny new toys from Bevo round 1. Now I'm surprised:D

There is something not quite right about our defence, Doc is a loss and hopefully O'Brien is ready for rd2.

I'm ready to see a game from Vandermeer, he obviously has trained well but we haven't seen him influence a game in a while ( ok prelim). Big year for him I reckon it's time for him to take the next step.

comrade
15-03-2022, 08:52 PM
Bulldogs back six (Avg 187cm with the super short Caleb)

Richards 186cm
Keath 200cm
Williams 187cm
Daniel 168cm
Cordy 195cm
Dale 187cm

Melbourne back six (187cm)

Smith 191cm
May 193cm
Salem 184cm
Bowey 176cm
Lever 195cm
Harmes 186cm

Melbourne backline not to dissimilar in height. We also have Schache who is 199cm who can be thrown back there too. Height ain't the issue. Ability of tall defenders besides Keath to beat their main in the air is another issue.

May plays like he’s 200cm, Cordy plays like he’s 185cm.

They also have Brown, MacDonald, Gawn & Jackson (plus Fritsch who plays taller). We have Naughton as our only real aerial threat (I’m not counting Schache).

Mantis
15-03-2022, 09:09 PM

All signs point to Schache playing in defence don't they?

comrade
15-03-2022, 09:10 PM

I think we’ll see him down there at some point.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 09:29 PM

If he or anyone who does play on Brown, just don't touch him he will stubble forward and get a free kick

FrediKanoute
15-03-2022, 09:30 PM
So Lachie Hunter hasn't been dropped? Now confused. Was it media hype?

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 09:33 PM
So Lachie Hunter hasn't been dropped? Now confused. Was it media hype?

Bevo might have played Tom Morris on a break.

I stay away from AFL media but watching this guy try and recover from a dud tip was pretty amusing.

https://twitter.com/foxfooty/status/1503644724715941888?s=21

bornadog
15-03-2022, 09:34 PM
delete, GG beat me to it

G-Mo77
15-03-2022, 09:46 PM

Yes. Lined up there against Brisbane as well.

Vred
15-03-2022, 09:56 PM
So McComb as the potential debut? As a sub? Do not like. I do have a rough memory of Bevo or someone at the club saying last season, that we’d never debut someone as a sub.

Bullies
15-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Bevo might have played Tom Morris on a break.

I stay away from AFL media but watching this guy try and recover from a dud tip was pretty amusing.

https://twitter.com/foxfooty/status/1503644724715941888?s=21 Don't be surprised if Hunter is the Sub

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 10:51 PM
Don't be surprised if Hunter is the Sub

I'm not surprised by anything with our Luke.

Grantysghost
15-03-2022, 11:06 PM
Hubris much? So they don’t feel like a Premiership side now ?! Nice. I feel better.

“Melbourne president Kate Roffey says the Demons will be unfulfilled if this era delivers just one premiership as the club prepares to unfurl the 2021 flag at the MCG before the season-opening grand final rematch against the Western Bulldogs.
Despite breaking the club’s 57-year premiership drought at Optus Stadium in Perth last September, Roffey said the players won’t feel like a premiership side until they win a grand final at the MCG.”

MrMahatma
15-03-2022, 11:24 PM
Hubris much? So they don’t feel like a Premiership side now ?! Nice. I feel better.

“Melbourne president Kate Roffey says the Demons will be unfulfilled if this era delivers just one premiership as the club prepares to unfurl the 2021 flag at the MCG before the season-opening grand final rematch against the Western Bulldogs.
Despite breaking the club’s 57-year premiership drought at Optus Stadium in Perth last September, Roffey said the players won’t feel like a premiership side until they win a grand final at the MCG.”

That’s a bit silly! What a strange thing for her to say.

They do know that there are other teams in the comp right? I mean, they seem to talk like “dynasties” just happen. They’re the hunter now.

bornadog
15-03-2022, 11:55 PM
Roffey said the players won’t feel like a premiership side until they win a grand final at the MCG.”

In a way I know what she means, it was a weird final series as we didn't get to see one live. I don't even feel like we played in a Grand Final (or don't want to know :D )

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 03:27 AM
Is how we use Schache the biggest question mark of the team selection?
Back line focus during the pre-season but selected as a key forward.

MrMahatma
16-03-2022, 07:16 AM
So change from GF.

Out: Wood, Dureyea
In: Richards, Vanda (Sub in GF)

Splitting hairs as to which is stronger there. We’re faster, but defensively worse off.

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 08:04 AM

It's a good question he is a real swing man these days but my gut feel is he will play in defence.

He could do a job on Lever for sure. Be interesting to see.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 08:31 AM

It's what I thought would happen, but he may swing back at stages anyway.

Mofra
16-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Cordy spent a lot of pre-season forward as a defensive forward, Schache as a defender.
That seems to make sense - Ben Brown is such a hard worker and Schache has the height and tank to go with him.

Duryea not named as an emergency is the surprising one. Niggle/Covid/underdone? Ed Richards is a very handy replacement, less defensive but he looked really good against Essendon.

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 09:03 AM
Cordy spent a lot of pre-season forward as a defensive forward, Schache as a defender.
That seems to make sense - Ben Brown is such a hard worker and Schache has the height and tank to go with him.

Duryea not named as an emergency is the surprising one. Niggle/Covid/underdone? Ed Richards is a very handy replacement, less defensive but he looked really good against Essendon.

I reckon Covid / underdone. 75 percent having it is huge isn't it.

From experience in the PL some players take a lot longer to recover. But I think that was mainly pre vaccinations.

Alan Saint-Maximin for Newcastle was out for 3 months I think last season.

Edit : hey I just cracked the hall of fame.

Me and Bevo in the same year!

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 09:04 AM
In a way I know what she means, it was a weird final series as we didn't get to see one live. I don't even feel like we played in a Grand Final (or don't want to know :D )

Speaking of presidents, do we have one?

azabob
16-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Genuine question for all.

Everyone had Schache cards marked and out of the club come end of 2021 when he played forward.

He took an opportunity with both hands against the demons at the MCG as a key defender.

What has changed that makes some posters think Schache now can go forward and contribute?

I can't see it.

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 09:48 AM

Everyone had Schache cards marked and out of the club come end of 2021 when he played forward.

He took an opportunity with both hands against the demons at the MCG as a key defender.

What has changed that makes some posters think Schache now can go forward and contribute?

I can't see it.

Is it on the back of the Prelim performance? Might be that.

I guess if he's got some confidence and is feeling more like he is a genuine contributor at the level it could flow through to his forward game.
He's probably the best set shot we have and can certainly run defenders into the ground.
But I've never seen him string it together at AFL level yet.

Mantis
16-03-2022, 09:57 AM

From the outside it feels like we have no idea how we are going to use Martin, English, Schache and Cordy and makes me wonder what the *!*!*!*! we’ve been doing all pre-season.

Should be an interesting evening.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 09:59 AM

I can't see it.

He still has a lot to prove.

GVGjr
16-03-2022, 10:01 AM

I can't see it.

I certainly didn't stamp Schache cards and I genuinely think he can contribute at either end of the ground.
I haven't given up on him being able to contribute something like 2 goals a game as a forward.
If he plays back it's about nullifying one of the oppositions better key forwards and kicking the ball neatly out of the back line.

Mofra
16-03-2022, 10:06 AM
I certainly didn't stamp Schache cards and I genuinely think he can contribute at either end of the ground.
I haven't given up on him being able to contribute something like 2 goals a game as a forward.
If he plays back it's about nullifying one of the oppositions better key forwards and kicking the ball neatly out of the back line.
That's a pretty highbar to set - only 16 players averaged 2 or more goals a game last year.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2021&rt=LA&st=GO

IF Schache plays forward, here's his role - make Aaron Naughton better and don't let your opponent mark the ball. That's enough.

jeemak
16-03-2022, 11:09 AM

I can't see it.

Where did he play in the finals?

He put in a shocker against Richmond that had people seething, though from what I recall after coming back against the Dees as a defender he put in a lot of time at both ends with varying results. Well that's how I remember it!

soupman
16-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Expecting Schache to play defence and Cordy forward. All pre-season it seemed that was how we were setting up, and it's only really been the second half against Brisbane where Cordy was covering an injury in defence that has indicated otherwise.

I think Schache is a lock to play back, Cordy might spend time at both ends but will probably be mostly forward, maybe on Lever.

Mantis
16-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Expecting Schache to play defence and Cordy forward. All pre-season it seemed that was how we were setting up, and it's only really been the second half against Brisbane where Cordy was covering an injury in defence that has indicated otherwise.

I think Schache is a lock to play back, Cordy might spend time at both ends but will probably be mostly forward, maybe on Lever.

Do you have any confidence that Cordy can actually be dangerous as a forward? Like take a mark on a lead and convert. We know he can scrap, but does he have any forward craft?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2022, 11:42 AM
Do you have any confidence that Cordy can actually be dangerous as a forward? Like take a mark on a lead and convert. We know he can scrap, but does he have any forward craft?

I hate it.

Granted it was years ago, but he couldn't stop Grundy taking 10 marks in the GF and I have no confidence that has changed. We're already down a pure key target (Bruce), at least Schache can lead, has forward craft and is a great kick. The latter also ironically played the lockdown role extremely well in the finals series last year, which we're now seemingly asking Cordy to do.

I guess we have the ability to swap them if it isn't working, but I think we get more out of Schache forward/Cordy back (prefer it was Gardner).

comrade
16-03-2022, 11:44 AM

If he plays forward and all he does is stop Lever from having a huge influence, I’d consider that a win and the best we can hope for.

Axe Man
16-03-2022, 12:00 PM
I would prefer Schache forward, Gardner back. Cordy would actually make a reasonable sub as you can throw him either end if needed and even into the ruck in an emergency.

soupman
16-03-2022, 12:04 PM

He has kicked multiple goals in a finals series before so he can be dangerous i guess, although i concede it isn't likely. They were all opportunist style scrappy goals though, so completely agree he doesn't have forward craft.

I don't hate him there, I really do believe that if you aren't a gun key forward then you need to be intense and Cordy brings that. I think Cordy's bad games there will be better than Schaches.

I'm content with it but hoping by mid year JUH has pushed him out.

Mofra
16-03-2022, 01:15 PM
I don't think it matters if that's not his role?

If Lever doesn't influence the contest and Naughton gets one on one opportunities in the F50 then he's done well. I don't think it's the kind of role where stats tell the story.

With a fit Bruce we don't even have this converstaion.

mjp
16-03-2022, 01:56 PM
If Lever doesn't influence the contest and Naughton gets one on one opportunities in the F50 then he's done well. I don't think it's the kind of role where stats tell the story.

With a fit Bruce we don't even have this converstaion.

That's fair mate but aside from playing with an elbow in Lever's back - which our coaches never seem to be prepared to ask the players to do - how is he going to do that?

Lever simply reads it better than pretty much everyone else. And whilst Naughton is an 'intercept mark disrupter' and more than a handful for May, he isnt going to beat May AND Lever...if Cordy leads for the footy, Lever will simply let him go. I'm not sure how this is Cordy's fault...

IF he plays forward, he needs to either play with an elbow in Lever's back the WHOLE NIGHT (I mean, don't lead AT ALL!!!) or it is gonna be a disaster.

Mofra
16-03-2022, 02:18 PM
That's fair mate but aside from playing with an elbow in Lever's back - which our coaches never seem to be prepared to ask the players to do - how is he going to do that?
The first sentence hit the nail on the head - we simply have to. We just have to change.
I know people will point to Schache as the guy who did a job late last year but he doesn't have Cordy's mongrel. I know he cops a lot of flack on this board but Cordy might be the only tall on our list who would sharpen his elbows ahead of this encounter.
Again, we often overlook what a player can do in the pursuit of pointing out what he can't.

Martin might get himself a mismatch too as the Dees have gone with only two 'talls' (who aren't that tall) in the F50. If we really want to split Lever & May, Stef being absolutely nowhere near Naughton and actually providing an option will help.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Where did he play in the finals?

He put in a shocker against Richmond that had people seething, though from what I recall after coming back against the Dees as a defender he put in a lot of time at both ends with varying results. Well that's how I remember it!

We should be fair to Schache - he played 2 games in 2020 - rounds 5 & 6

He then plays his first game in over a year in rnd 7 2021 V Richmond and wasnt great in a side that struggled and gets dropped.

He then doesnt play for another 12 weeks until Rnd 19 against Melbourne and plays a good game and holds his place through the finals where I felt he showed he is a good kick, good decision maker, goal kicker and good at finding space.

Its a credit to him that he was able to work through 2+ years in the wilderness

MrMahatma
16-03-2022, 02:29 PM
The first sentence hit the nail on the head - we simply have to. We just have to change.
I know people will point to Schache as the guy who did a job late last year but he doesn't have Cordy's mongrel. I know he cops a lot of flack on this board but Cordy might be the only tall on our list who would sharpen his elbows ahead of this encounter.
Again, we often overlook what a player can do in the pursuit of pointing out what he can't.

Martin might get himself a mismatch too as the Dees have gone with only two 'talls' (who aren't that tall) in the F50. If we really want to split Lever & May, Stef being absolutely nowhere near Naughton and actually providing an option will help.

Are there two guys on our list who are worse forwards than Cordy and Martin? I mean, the last set shot Keith took he almost missed his foot, but I struggle to think of 2 blokes who are less likely to actually take a mark up there - and therefore, 2 guys the Dees would be less worried about.

I reckon, if the grand plan is for Schache to play as a defender, then he should play there. I don't love robbing peter to pay paul and reckon getting a settled backline is important for the rest of the season.

Why Cordy is in ahead of JUH is probably the question I have. Cordy has 0 upside and what we get is going to be, well... average at best. JUH has loads of upside and he can actually lead and mark well. If we were to have one late change, I'd love to see Cordy out for JUH.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 04:15 PM

He then plays his first game in over a year in rnd 7 2021 V Richmond and wasnt great in a side that struggled and gets dropped.

He then doesnt play for another 12 weeks until Rnd 19 against Melbourne and plays a good game and holds his place through the finals where I felt he showed he is a good kick, good decision maker, goal kicker and good at finding space.

Where should Schache play BR? I would actually like him to learn to play CHB, but he is still learning the defensive role. Playing Defense is actually easier than playing a Key forward role

Mofra
16-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Are there two guys on our list who are worse forwards than Cordy and Martin? I mean, the last set shot Keith took he almost missed his foot, but I struggle to think of 2 blokes who are less likely to actually take a mark up there - and therefore, 2 guys the Dees would be less worried about.

I reckon, if the grand plan is for Schache to play as a defender, then he should play there. I don't love robbing peter to pay paul and reckon getting a settled backline is important for the rest of the season.

Why Cordy is in ahead of JUH is probably the question I have. Cordy has 0 upside and what we get is going to be, well... average at best. JUH has loads of upside and he can actually lead and mark well. If we were to have one late change, I'd love to see Cordy out for JUH.
I suspect JUH's covid recovery is the main factor. He'll probably play a few VFL games before getting his chance.
I do feel like once he earns his second chance he'll be better equipped to stay in the side.

merantau
16-03-2022, 05:04 PM
I reckon Covid / underdone. 75 percent having it is huge isn't it.

From experience in the PL some players take a lot longer to recover. But I think that was mainly pre vaccinations.

Alan Saint-Maximin for Newcastle was out for 3 months I think last season.

Edit : hey I just cracked the hall of fame.

Me and Bevo in the same year!

Congratulations!

Grantysghost
16-03-2022, 05:35 PM
Congratulations!

Ha - thanks Merantau ! Just proves how much BS I can talk.

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 05:56 PM
If Cordy plays fwd he will be lucky to get 5 possessions for the game. Why is he even selected? Just goes to show where our list is at in this area.

Mofra
16-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Some speculation that Lever may be a late out - from Fox Footy though, the source of Lachie Hunter's "omission"

bornadog
16-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Some speculation that Lever may be a late out - from Fox Footy though, the source of Lachie Hunter's "omission"

Thomlinson on standby

DOG GOD
16-03-2022, 06:47 PM
Now THAT would help

jeemak
16-03-2022, 07:17 PM

He was fine as far as I was concerned at the back end of the year. I guess all I was saying is it's weird to be surprised he might be playing forward when we don't really have anyone else and he has played there recently.

azabob
16-03-2022, 07:30 PM
IN Gardner and Crozier

OUT: Martin and Hunter as sub

azabob
16-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Thomlinson on standby

Lever out

azabob
16-03-2022, 07:31 PM
He was fine as far as I was concerned at the back end of the year. I guess all I was saying is it's weird to be surprised he might be playing forward when we don't really have anyone else and he has played there recently.

Ponyboy you in the UK?

bornadog
16-03-2022, 07:33 PM
Cordy forward and ruck?

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 07:47 PM
Ha - thanks Merantau ! Just proves how much BS I can talk.

Did they count deleted posts? ��

The Underdog
16-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Cordy forward and ruck?

You’d reckon.

bornadog
16-03-2022, 07:53 PM
Did they count deleted posts? ��
he has well and truely forgotten