PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round Three v Sydney at Marvel

Scraggers
14-03-2022, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Two match against Carlton for our Round Three match against Sydney at Marvel on Thursday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
24-03-2022, 10:53 PM
Bump

GVGjr
24-03-2022, 11:15 PM
Anyone ready to make the call?

Crozier will be out (I hope he is OK)
Vanders struggled again
JUH is a long way off

Bailey Smith should be OK

soupman
24-03-2022, 11:18 PM
JUH stays in imo. If he isn't doing all that's required of him then tell him he has 3 games to get that up to standard. Thought he showed some good signs tonight. I think key forwards you kind of just have to suck it up and invest the games into them. Rampe is gonna be a huge challenge for him but considering he got slaughtered by him last year this is a good opportunity for him to at least get some little wins going.

DOG GOD
24-03-2022, 11:23 PM
JUH stays for mine. We need another player who can take a mark above his head.

Vanders has to go.
I could list 5-6 more but why bother when Bevo won’t drop them.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was smith in for Vanders and Williams for crozier, then someone in for sub.

If it was me, Cordy, Gardner, Hunter, Roarke, vanders, crozier would be out.
Sweet, O’Brien, Wallis, Jones, Williams, smith would be in.

MrMahatma
24-03-2022, 11:25 PM
Shit. JUH was not our problem.

Out: Cordy, Crozier, Vandermeer
In: Smith, Jones, Sweet

That’s in the 23 given Truck played.

EasternWest
24-03-2022, 11:26 PM
Marra plays. Marra has to play.

Garcia for Vandermeer
An inanimate carbon rod for Cordy
I don't even know who for Crozier

I'm sure more will come to me.

Hotdog60
24-03-2022, 11:28 PM

That what I would do

GVGjr
24-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Tim O'Brien and Bailey Smith should be available shouldn't they?
McNeil should be a chance

whythelongface
24-03-2022, 11:38 PM

Is Jones ready? He looks lively and all but at the moment he is not what we need. Smith will be a big in. We missed him tonight. Who else can play in the middle and get first hands on the ball. Do we go for Wallis? Bont will clearly be spending more time forward so we need another mid that at least fight, negate and make a scrap to get to the likes of Treloar and Smith.

soupman
24-03-2022, 11:42 PM
Is Jones ready? He looks lively and all but at the moment he is not what we need.

I think atm we are struggling with guys who don't have an impact when they're not involved. Jones I think could be a bit like that. Which isn't to say don't play him, he seems to have the attributes to really help our side, I'd just be wary of putting too many raw low output guys in the side who are still figuring out how to contribute in their role for a game.

soupman
24-03-2022, 11:52 PM
Not a big fan of playing Sweet just cause he's a ruck, but am coming round to the idea of having a second one in the lineup at all times. I look at the way Brisbane developed McInerney, or St.Kilda Marshall as the best two examples (both rookies btw), where they played them even not as the main ruck but as the resting ruck (Xerri seems to be the next example of this).

I'm certainly open to the idea of giving Sweet an opportunity to acclimatise to AFL level, and think it would've been great to have someone to assist in the ruck as English was both tired and not up to it tonight. I guess I also see it like how soccer uses substitute appearances to develop young players, giving them 10-25 minutes here and there, but in this case thats what Sweet would do in the ruck. I guess the other option is let them kill it at the lower level like Sean Darcy and Reilly O'Brien did, but I'm not sure Sweet is that type.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2022, 11:55 PM
I would have Wallis in front of Vanda. We need another marking forward. Wallis can provide that and he is tough. Our biggest issue is key defence and I don't know what the solution is there. Gardner is not up to it. Keath looks well below his form of last year.

GVGjr
24-03-2022, 11:58 PM
Who plays on Buddy next week?

DOG GOD
25-03-2022, 12:01 AM
Toss a coin haha
He will certainly get plenty of chances that’s for sure.

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:02 AM
I would have Wallis in front of Vanda. We need another marking forward. Wallis can provide that and he is tough. Our biggest issue is key defence and I don't know what the solution is there. Gardner is not up to it. Keath looks well below his form of last year.

Don't think Wallis offers us what we are looking for in the Vandermeer role. Vandermeer is meant to cover the angles well, force kicks to bad options and apply good pressure, and when he gets the ball meant to move it quickly and directly with hurt factor. The with the ball stuff is what he has sucked at for some time, although 1 tackle is not a great output either. I'd suggest we have a bunch of options for his role though; McNeil and Garcia both showed good signs there last year, it could be one we try Jones in, JJ should be a shoe in when fit, I personally don't think it plays to his strengths but West is probably in the mix for it, and I reckon McComb might be one they look at for it as well.

Unfortunately for Wallis I think one of the key attributes they look at for that role is pace and he has none of that. He's more looking at the Hannan or JUH role where he is a foil for the main target (Naughton) and needs to be able to provide cover in marking contests or be another option.

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:03 AM

Man I hope he kicks 4 tomorrow, otherwise Gardner is going to be immortalised as the guy on the mark for the 1000th. Although with his track record he'd probably vertical jump smother it.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 12:06 AM
Don't think Wallis offers us what we are looking for in the Vandermeer role. Vandermeer is meant to cover the angles well, force kicks to bad options and apply good pressure, and when he gets the ball meant to move it quickly and directly with hurt factor. The with the ball stuff is what he has sucked at for some time, although 1 tackle is not a great output either. I'd suggest we have a bunch of options for his role though; McNeil and Garcia both showed good signs there last year, it could be one we try Jones in, JJ should be a shoe in when fit, I personally don't think it plays to his strengths but West is probably in the mix for it, and I reckon McComb might be one they look at for it as well.

Unfortunately for Wallis I think one of the key attributes they look at for that role is pace and he has none of that. He's more looking at the Hannan or JUH role where he is a foil for the main target (Naughton) and needs to be able to provide cover in marking contests or be another option.

Fair enough. JJ did show some decent forward craft late last years and kicked a few goals no one else could have created. We also miss his genuine pace. It will be good to have him back.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 12:11 AM
Let's see how the VFL goes tomorrow, although there a few Covid Issues

whythelongface
25-03-2022, 12:11 AM

I forgot about West. He seems to be the forgotten man. I know he has played forward but is there an opportunity for him to come into the midfield? What are some of his attributes? Does he have the ability to win the ball?

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:17 AM

I wonder if we will get anything more comprehensive than a goalkicker list

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:18 AM
I forgot about West. He seems to be the forgotten man. I know he has played forward but is there an opportunity for him to come into the midfield? What are some of his attributes? Does he have the ability to win the ball?

I think he is a midfielder in a toddlers body. He could play the tough role that Libba will vacate, but he is just so small. He would get monstered by even the medium size mids imo. I think like Honeychurch he is too small to play his real role and has to become a pressure small forward flanker instead.

westbulldog
25-03-2022, 12:20 AM
Out Crozier Cordy Vandermeer Gardner
In O'Brien B Smith Williams Sweet

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 12:25 AM
Keath apparently got cured of shitness at half time because he was rock solid from there on out. Hopefully he keeps it up or he could be on a highlight reel forever. I can't believe I'm saying this but please let O'Brien be ready. I don't rate him, like, at all but I rate the thought of Cordy not in the team anymore.

I actually thought the forward pressure, in particular that dickhead Weightman, was outstanding tonight and generated a bunch of chances when seemingly nothing else would. So not sure it's the week for McNeil. VDM was okay too but needs to do start doing stuff when he actually has the ball again.

English needs some legitimate support (poor Zaine tried but made for some brutal viewing), but also as the newly emerged best around the ground ruckman in the league needs to spend the majority of the game in there. So I guess that means Sweet but I fear that ruins the aforementioned forward pressure we seem to have gotten working.

Smith needs to come in for Scott, who was courageous (with one exception that I'm calling a miscommunication) but is still a lot worse than Baz.

So guess it's O'Brien, Smith and Sweet in for Scott, Cordy and someone? else? I dunno, this is a weird feeling. We lost and we're 0-2 and we suck but that second half was pretty not bad.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 12:52 AM
Keath apparently got cured of shitness at half time because he was rock solid from there on out. Hopefully he keeps it up or he could be on a highlight reel forever. I can't believe I'm saying this but please let O'Brien be ready. I don't rate him, like, at all but I rate the thought of Cordy not in the team anymore.

I actually thought the forward pressure, in particular that dickhead Weightman, was outstanding tonight and generated a bunch of chances when seemingly nothing else would. So not sure it's the week for McNeil. VDM was okay too but needs to do start doing stuff when he actually has the ball again.

English needs some legitimate support (poor Zaine tried but made for some brutal viewing), but also as the newly emerged best around the ground ruckman in the league needs to spend the majority of the game in there. So I guess that means Sweet but I fear that ruins the aforementioned forward pressure we seem to have gotten working.

Smith needs to come in for Scott, who was courageous (with one exception that I'm calling a miscommunication) but is still a lot worse than Baz.

So guess it's O'Brien, Smith and Sweet in for Scott, Cordy and someone? else? I dunno, this is a weird feeling. We lost and we're 0-2 and we suck but that second half was pretty not bad.

Sorry?

bornadog
25-03-2022, 12:57 AM
I wonder if we will get anything more comprehensive than a goalkicker list

Smads ball by ball

Happy Days
25-03-2022, 01:08 AM
Sorry?

Its a running joke I have with myself. I love Cody.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 01:13 AM
Its a running joke I have with myself. I love Cody.

Ok. I thought we’d been infiltrated by an embittered BombreBlitz type

kruder
25-03-2022, 01:15 AM

Will we even know the result?

Vred
25-03-2022, 01:26 AM
Will we even know the result?

*SHOULD* be live streamed on Kayo

jeemak
25-03-2022, 01:54 AM
I think he is a midfielder in a toddlers body. He could play the tough role that Libba will vacate, but he is just so small. He would get monstered by even the medium size mids imo. I think like Honeychurch he is too small to play his real role and has to become a pressure small forward flanker instead.

At 182cm he can play as an inside mid. It's just that Libba has his spot right now.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2022, 02:04 AM
At 182cm he can play as an inside mid. It's just that Libba has his spot right now.

He also hasn't really seized his chances when they have been provided either, albeit they have been sparse. He was in the team in the GWS final capitulation in 2019. Three years later and he is not even close to holding down a position. This is his fourth season. He has played 11 games. Three in 2019. Four in 2020. Four in 2021.

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:19 AM
He's 3cm taller than Lachie Neale.
If you're good enough, you're tall enough. He didn't get any senior praccy match time so the MC must view him as a fair way off.

Bullies
25-03-2022, 09:20 AM

Unfortunately for Wallis I think one of the key attributes they look at for that role is pace and he has none of that. He's more looking at the Hannan or JUH role where he is a foil for the main target (Naughton) and needs to be able to provide cover in marking contests or be another option. Why don't we just play guys who know how to play football - see ball get ball rather than play "cover angles" "force kicks to bad options". It should be a basic game. Wal has footy smarts. He can't do worse than Vandermeer. I suppose Roarke Smith has a special role as well. No idea what it is though. Get back to basics and select guys for their football ability and not because they are athletes or skate with Bevo.

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:22 AM
At this stage (without VFL results) I'll go with:

Out: Cordy, Crozier
In: O'Brien, Williams

Still concerned by the 2nd ruck spot

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Why don't we just play guys who know how to play football - see ball get ball rather than play "cover angles" "force kicks to bad options". It should be a basic game. Wal has footy smarts. He can't do worse than Vandermeer. I suppose Roarke Smith has a special role as well. No idea what it is though. Get back to basics and select guys for their football ability and not because they are athletes or skate with Bevo.
VDM leads the comp in 'repeat sprints' - Wallis isn't quick enough to register a stat. If he comes in, it won't be for VDM's spot.
I thought he did a lot of 'unrewarded' stuff ok last night.

Bullies
25-03-2022, 09:26 AM
I forgot about West. He seems to be the forgotten man. I know he has played forward but is there an opportunity for him to come into the midfield? What are some of his attributes? Does he have the ability to win the ball? West is a smart footballer but might not fit into the modern footballer mould of being an athlete so is not selected. Type of player that will dominate somewhere else if he doesn't get opportunities.

azabob
25-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Who would be your second ruck if we drop Cordy?

comrade
25-03-2022, 09:34 AM
Who would be your second ruck if we drop Cordy?

Hannan? He took a fair chunk of the forward half contests but there’s no way we could use him in the middle…surely?

Bullies
25-03-2022, 09:35 AM
VDM leads the comp in 'repeat sprints' - Wallis isn't quick enough to register a stat. If he comes in, it won't be for VDM's spot.
I thought he did a lot of 'unrewarded' stuff ok last night. I forgot about the "repeat sprints". He stays in the team then. He is out of the team though if he gets "repeat goals".

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:44 AM
Hannan? He took a fair chunk of the forward half contests but there’s no way we could use him in the middle…surely?
I think he had one CBA, surprisingly won a boundary throw in contest.
Gardner is tall enough but I don't recall him training for the role

Mofra
25-03-2022, 09:47 AM
I forgot about the "repeat sprints". He stays in the team then. He is out of the team though if he gets "repeat goals".
Instead of such a poor, glib response, you could consider why Wallis isn't getting a look in right now in the first instance.

We need forwards who can also pressure the opposition on turnover. VDM may well lose his spot to a Gracia or JJ, but it won't be to a guy who can't replicate his role in the side.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-03-2022, 10:49 AM

Carlton showed the value of playing two genuine ruck men.
To see Cordy for rucking for long periods and Hannan is bordering on the absurdity.
Time to throw the gauntlet down to Sweet

Bullies
25-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Instead of such a poor, glib response, you could consider why Wallis isn't getting a look in right now in the first instance.

We need forwards who can also pressure the opposition on turnover. VDM may well lose his spot to a Gracia or JJ, but it won't be to a guy who can't replicate his role in the side. I'm saying we are getting away from the basics that win games. Wallis can replace Vandermeer and have a different role. We have other guys who can do Vandermeer pressure/run roles. I'm not big on Wallis but if you talk footy smarts he has more than Vandermeer. I would say the same for West.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Carlton showed the value of playing two genuine ruck men.
To see Cordy for rucking for long periods and Hannan is bordering on the absurdity.
Time to throw the gauntlet down to Sweet

Let's see how Sweet goes today.

azabob
25-03-2022, 10:56 AM
I think he had one CBA, surprisingly won a boundary throw in contest.
Gardner is tall enough but I don't recall him training for the role

Are you suggesting Hannan and Dunks have trained for the role?!

Mofra
25-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Are you suggesting Hannan and Dunks have trained for the role?!
Hannan clearly has, he took some F50 contests too. It seems a pre-conceived plan to keep English a kick behind the play to defend the 'get out' kick.

bornadog
25-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Hannan clearly has, he took some F50 contests too. It seems a pre-conceived plan to keep English a kick behind the play to defend the 'get out' kick.

He took a couple of ruck contests, which I didn't worry about.

I thought Hannan played one of his better games last night.

Grantysghost
25-03-2022, 11:38 AM

I thought Vandermeer was pretty good last night. He's still a kid learning his craft.

Jam Donuts
25-03-2022, 11:41 AM

Unfortunately its not the Stawell gift, he is next to useless and needs a long spell in the magoos to learn how to get the ball, we simply annot carry players who are not footballers

1eyedog
25-03-2022, 11:53 AM
I think Laith is a footballer he's just a person who can run fast first at the moment. We have so many players down on form Keath, Williams, Hunter, Cody, Daniel, Dunks, VDM and then throw in our triers Cordy, Gardner, R Smith and Scott and that basically manifests as a middle of the road team.

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:01 PM
He's 3cm taller than Lachie Neale.
If you're good enough, you're tall enough. He didn't get any senior praccy match time so the MC must view him as a fair way off.

I know this sounds dumb but he is a tiny 182cm. His limbs are all so short, and his head is huge compared to his body, hence the toddler comment. I haven't seen him live for years so I may be wrong but to me despite however tall he actually is the way his body works he is effectively the smallest guy on our list.

West is a smart footballer but might not fit into the modern footballer mould of being an athlete so is not selected. Type of player that will dominate somewhere else if he doesn't get opportunities.

And his recent performances that we have seen (limited that they have been) have been anything but smart. Admittedly haven't seen him play much mid time, but as a forward he has the Cody's (flies for marks despite being the worst candidate to take them), lacks the pace to get away from opponents so tries to break tackles, but isn't big enough to do so at AFL level so gets repeatedly caught, and is either sloppy with his disposal or picks bad options.

Maybe he needs time to adjust to playing with bigger and better bodies in the AFL where he is not powerful enough to use his size to help, but I have seen nothing to suggest that he is a weapon in the midfield aside from tenacity (from what I've seen he lacks the explosiveness to burst out with the footy nor the disposal to be able to offer anything better than decent distribution on the spread, something Libba is amazing at).

Happy for him to play though if he earns it and we are at least trying to fix our midfield issues, I just haven't seen anything from him that says AFL footballer to me.

soupman
25-03-2022, 12:06 PM
Why don't we just play guys who know how to play football - see ball get ball rather than play "cover angles" "force kicks to bad options". It should be a basic game. Wal has footy smarts. He can't do worse than Vandermeer. I suppose Roarke Smith has a special role as well. No idea what it is though. Get back to basics and select guys for their football ability and not because they are athletes or skate with Bevo.

Because we play a high press and need our forward to be able to cover ground and slow their defence down. Wallis can fill holes, but Vandermeer applies so much more pressure and by cutting the angles is a major asset to limiting the damage the opposition can do.

Our second half we were dominant, and a big part of that was because we constrained Carltons ball movement from defence so well. Completely agree Vandermeer needs to do more with the ball, but if we are gonna persist with this setup then Wallis is not even in the mix for that role.

SquirrelGrip
25-03-2022, 12:31 PM
Out: Crozier (inj), Dunkley, R. Smith
In: B. Smith, O'Brien, Jones

O'Brien has to come straight in when fit given he has recruited for a specific role in mind. B.Smith an obvious in, and Jones will give us some spark and is a good runner.

I hope Crozier is OK but I think it would be to rest him and check exactly what the issue is. R.Smith is a COVID top-up player at best, and has been shown up two weeks in a row. What a waste to have someone on a wing with such low skill level. He can only play when he has a specific run-with role.

The other out is Dunkley. I was super-disappointed with his game last night. He was given Cripps for much of the night, didn't chase, couldn't keep up. His kick in the centre square to Weightman (2nd quarter?) was a wrong hospital option when we are charging up the middle with numbers, only for us to lose possession head off to the flank where Cripps hadn't bothered going with Dunkley, for them to have the numbers and another goal. And then his last quarter misses too. Gutted! For Dunkley to be in our team, he needs to be that big-bodied mid tackling machine, like he was for half a season (2019). He seems to be leaner, has no acceleration, and it would be worth sending him a message.

Of course I expect him then to have a big sook and call his manager to see if the Bummers are still interested.

Bullies
25-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Out: Crozier (inj), Dunkley, R. Smith
In: B. Smith, O'Brien, Jones

O'Brien has to come straight in when fit given he has recruited for a specific role in mind. B.Smith an obvious in, and Jones will give us some spark and is a good runner.

I hope Crozier is OK but I think it would be to rest him and check exactly what the issue is. R.Smith is a COVID top-up player at best, and has been shown up two weeks in a row. What a waste to have someone on a wing with such low skill level. He can only play when he has a specific run-with role.

The other out is Dunkley. I was super-disappointed with his game last night. He was given Cripps for much of the night, didn't chase, couldn't keep up. His kick in the centre square to Weightman (2nd quarter?) was a wrong hospital option when we are charging up the middle with numbers, only for us to lose possession head off to the flank where Cripps hadn't bothered going with Dunkley, for them to have the numbers and another goal. And then his last quarter misses too. Gutted! For Dunkley to be in our team, he needs to be that big-bodied mid tackling machine, like he was for half a season (2019). He seems to be leaner, has no acceleration, and it would be worth sending him a message.

Of course I expect him then to have a big sook and call his manager to see if the Bummers are still interested. So glad you raised R Smith. I just don't see why we persist week in week out. He offers jack unfortunately. Plays on a wing - lacks pace and skills are ordinary. I don't get it. We have been conditioned by Bevo that he will play each week no matter what. If anything make him tag.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 01:28 PM
So glad you raised R Smith. I just don't see why we persist week in week out. He offers jack unfortunately. Plays on a wing - lacks pace and skills are ordinary. I don't get it. We have been conditioned by Bevo that he will play each week no matter what. If anything make him tag.

He is a defensive winger isn’t he? Who was the other on the wing as I’m pretty sure Hunter is banished to fwd line where he never threatens to score or even be creative in creating scores? Is he there because he’s not quite fit?

Mantis
25-03-2022, 01:31 PM
He is a defensive winger isn’t he? Who was the other on the wing as I’m pretty sure Hunter is banished to fwd line where he never threatens to score or even be creative in creating scores? Is he there because he’s not quite fit?

Daniel started on the wing opposite R.Smith, but moved to defence in the 2nd half... Hunter was on the wing in the 2nd half.

Mofra
25-03-2022, 01:34 PM
Daniel started on the wing opposite R.Smith, but moved to defence in the 2nd half... Hunter was on the wing in the 2nd half.
Yep - and I never want to see Hunter in the F50 again.
He's either wing or VFL for me.

Testekill
25-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Honestly it's frustrating that Hunter seems to be getting a clean pass because credits in the bank, he's been horrid so far this season.

SonofScray
25-03-2022, 03:26 PM
I want to find a way to get Baz, Jones, Sweet and West into this team.

Want to cash in on English's improvement by supporting him with another big body when he is having a rest forward.
Want Jones' for some excitement and joyfulness in what has otherwise been a very methodical start falling below expectations.
Want West in because I think he might have the competitiveness in the clinches across HFF and I50 that we aren't getting enough of.

Mantis
25-03-2022, 03:30 PM
Honestly it's frustrating that Hunter seems to be getting a clean pass because credits in the bank, he's been horrid so far this season.

Given he was penciled in as sub for Rd 1 prior to JJ getting injured in the pre-game it's pretty clear the MC aren't comfortable with how Hunter is performing.

Bullies
25-03-2022, 03:43 PM
He is a defensive winger isn’t he? Who was the other on the wing as I’m pretty sure Hunter is banished to fwd line where he never threatens to score or even be creative in creating scores? Is he there because he’s not quite fit? I think Hunter has a few credits but is on thin ice. Correct in regards to fitness issues though. I just don't think R Smith offers us anything and I am not sure after all these years where the improvement will come from. Surely we can blood someone from the 2's to come in and play a defensive role and then expand their role when they get experience. Understanding where he has come from but I am not seeing what others do.

merantau
25-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Marra must play. Full stop. And we must keep playing him. It's not like we have, apart from Schache, other tall forward options. He snapped a beautiful goal, hit the post and took a courageous mark that would heve resulted in another shot on goal had not Naughton been infringed. We had a few pressing issues last night - he was not one of them.

We got smashed around the contest in the first half especially. Roving to a losing ruck has gone the way of darning socks - a lost art. It might help if players stood shoulder to shoulder with their opponents instead of a metre or two off them.

We looked slow last night. We failed to get numbers to the contest. Smith in, JJ too if fit. We can't keeping playing Tim as our sole ruck. I'd look at replacing VDM with Garcia.

We need to win and win well.

josie
25-03-2022, 08:20 PM
In a poor showing in vfl I thought Rory McComb and Garcia were only two that played well enough to warrant consideration. Arthur Jones looked ok at times but not enough to justify a call up.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-03-2022, 11:10 PM
Marra must play. Full stop. And we must keep playing him. It's not like we have, apart from Schache, other tall forward options. He snapped a beautiful goal, hit the post and took a courageous mark that would heve resulted in another shot on goal had not Naughton been infringed. We had a few pressing issues last night - he was not one of them.

We got smashed around the contest in the first half especially. Roving to a losing ruck has gone the way of darning socks - a lost art. It might help if players stood shoulder to shoulder with their opponents instead of a metre or two off them.

We looked slow last night. We failed to get numbers to the contest. Smith in, JJ too if fit. We can't keeping playing Tim as our sole ruck. I'd look at replacing VDM with Garcia.

We need to win and win well.

The dominance of Petracca and Oliver in the 2021 GF continued again in Round 1 as did Cripps and Walsh against Carlton.
Hewitt was effectively used as a tag on Bont and we need to seriously consider doing the same with Dunkley as our once feted midfield has been sadly beaten in these 3 encounters. Both Melbourne and Carlton by playing two ruck men dominated
and there is little doubt that urgent support is required for Tim English.

Mantis
28-03-2022, 08:04 AM
The dominance of Petracca and Oliver in the 2021 GF continued again in Round 1 as did Cripps and Walsh against Carlton.
Hewitt was effectively used as a tag on Bont and we need to seriously consider doing the same with Dunkley as our once feted midfield has been sadly beaten in these 3 encounters. Both Melbourne and Carlton by playing two ruck men dominated and there is little doubt that urgent support is required for Tim English.

We don't really have a logical option given the lack of form and limitations positionally that Sweet & Martin offer.

Mofra
28-03-2022, 09:43 AM
Perhaps one change only - Baz for Crozier.
O'Brien gets another week at VFL level. We back the boys in to play like the second half last week.

bornadog
28-03-2022, 09:46 AM
O'Brien gets another week at VFL level. We back the boys in to play like the second half last week.

Following on from the VFL, I tend to agree with this change.

GVGjr
28-03-2022, 09:58 AM

There is a fair chance this will happen. Mark Stevens confirmed that Baz will play Thursday.
Garcia and McComb might be close.

Does Keath get Buddy?

Mofra
28-03-2022, 10:07 AM
There is a fair chance this will happen. Mark Stevens confirmed that Baz will play Thursday.

Does Keath get Buddy?
Here's an interesting proposition - Keath "stays at home" and Gardner takes Buddy.
Buddy will beat whoever he plays on, but we know Gardner has the tank to run with pretty much anyone.

Keath takes McLean(?) and plays goal-keeper, Cordy gets on the angry pills to take Heeney who is so good overhead he demands a tallish type anyway.

DOG GOD
28-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Does Keath get Buddy?

Might be a mix of Keath and Gardner, and with the form of Keath, I’m expecting 5+ from buddy.
Heeney is also a worry.

GVGjr
28-03-2022, 10:14 AM
We've asked a lot from Keath since he arrived at the club. Comes over as an intercept marking defender with great foot skills and we have typically pitted him against the opposition best forward in more of a 1 v 1 role. He's acquitted himself brilliantly well but you have to wonder what he might have been able to do if he played his more natural role.

I agree Mofra that Gardner should get first crack at the Buddy conundrum.

GVGjr
28-03-2022, 10:14 AM
Might be a mix of Keath and Gardner, and with the form of Keath, I’m expecting 5+ from buddy.
Heeney is also a worry.

We should have some players who match-up OK with Heeney.

EasternWest
28-03-2022, 10:21 AM
Here's an interesting proposition - Keath "stays at home" and Gardner takes Buddy.
Buddy will beat whoever he plays on, but we know Gardner has the tank to run with pretty much anyone.

Keath takes McLean(?) and plays goal-keeper, Cordy gets on the angry pills to take Heeney who is so good overhead he demands a tallish type anyway.

Agree with all of this except for Cordy on Heeney. If I have to watch Cordy be 8 feet behind his player all game I'd rather it not be their best player.

We should have some players who match-up OK with Heeney.

"We don't tag" so it's a moot point.

36 and 2 for Heeney.

soupman
28-03-2022, 10:21 AM
I expect O'Brien to play. Every indication is that the club is optimistic with his ability to fill the role he was recruited for, and I think the VFL game was more about him regaining some touch and match fitness before stepping up. I think they'd rather he finds his feet in the role (which is basically the role he finished the year at Hawthorn in so should find them quick) at senior level where he can work off Keath and Gardner instead of in an undersized backline at VFL level working off Raak and Cleary. If he isn't great this week I think they'd be happy to wear that.

Smith obviously comes in as well. McComb a contender.

I'm assuming Crozier comes out for Smith, and Cordy for O'Brien, I'm not really sure if they'd drop anyone else, and unsure whether they think the warning has been served to Williams or if they want him to prove himself in the VFL again.

Happy Days
28-03-2022, 10:26 AM

Cordy on Heeney is suicide. Has to be Duryea.

Axe Man
28-03-2022, 10:41 AM
It's worth noting Heeney isn't playing only as a forward, he spent over 50% of the game against the cats in his defensive half.

I'm thinking Richards might be possible match for Heeney when forward, our closest match for his size and speed.

azabob
28-03-2022, 11:00 AM
I'm not too worried about Sydney's forward line its by the by.

My main concern is what do we do when Sydney have the footy and how do we set up our forward line?

Last time Sydney picked us apart with their kicking skills in our forward half of the ground and then went very quickly when the ground opened up which helped their forwards immensely.

On the flip side we didn't look like scoring a goal or keeping possession of the footy.

Rampe destroyed JUH in his first game - which was to be expected.

This time around Sydney have Tom McCartin and Paddy McCartin along with Rampe.

GVGjr
28-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Agree with all of this except for Cordy on Heeney. If I have to watch Cordy be 8 feet behind his player all game I'd rather it not be their best player.

"We don't tag" so it's a moot point.

36 and 2 for Heeney.

We don't tag in the midfield but when he is up forward we should be able to curb him.

DOG GOD
28-03-2022, 11:49 AM
I'm not too worried about Sydney's forward line its by the by.

My main concern is what do we do when Sydney have the footy and how do we set up our forward line?

Last time Sydney picked us apart with their kicking skills in our forward half of the ground and then went very quickly when the ground opened up which helped their forward immensely.

On the flip side we didn't look like scoring a goal or keeping possession of the footy.

Rampe destroyed JUH in his first game - which was to be expected.

This time around Sydney have Tom McCartin and Paddy McCartin along with Rampe.

Yep last time Syd set up brilliantly from the backline, using elite kicking to get to the wing, where they would then come into the centre, allowing their fwds to mark directly in front about 35-40 metres out. Their mid sized fwds destroyed us, and thank god they don’t have Dawson kicking 3-4 from half back.

Mantis
28-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Yep last time Syd set up brilliantly from the backline, using elite kicking to get to the wing, where they would then come into the centre, allowing their fwds to mark directly in front about 35-40 metres out. Their mid sized fwds destroyed us, and thank god they don’t have Dawson kicking 3-4 from half back.

Dawson played on the wing and was opposed to Hunter... he was just too tall & quick for Hunter and hit the scoreboard.

Sydney's field kicking was (is) so far above ours so if we give them time & space again they will cut us apart.

Danjul
28-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Yep last time Syd set up brilliantly from the backline, using elite kicking to get to the wing, where they would then come into the centre, allowing their fwds to mark directly in front about 35-40 metres out. Their mid sized fwds destroyed us,.

Why aren’t we allowed to do that? Melbourne did it. Carlton did it. Who else doesn’t?

EasternWest
28-03-2022, 03:13 PM
We don't tag in the midfield but when he is up forward we should be able to curb him.

With who? Because if it's Cordy see my earlier comment.

GVGjr
28-03-2022, 04:56 PM
With who? Because if it's Cordy see my earlier comment.

Williams would be a good match-up. Richards or Dale as well

1eyedog
29-03-2022, 08:52 PM
Keep hearing Garcia's name come up as an in this week amongst Dogs fans. Nothing firm and no decent sources just a number of unsubstantiated rumours.

Did he play well in the VFL?

josie
29-03-2022, 09:06 PM
Keep hearing Garcia's name come up as an in this week amongst Dogs fans. Nothing firm and no decent sources just a number of unsubstantiated rumours.

Did he play well in the VFL?

After McComb who was the standout player I thought Garcia was next best player. Wally was pretty good too.

Grantysghost
29-03-2022, 09:18 PM
After McComb who was the standout player I thought Garcia was next best player. Wally was pretty good too.

Would you would think McComb would be in before Garcia at this stage?
Riley coming back from injury maybe needs a couple more weeks.
McComb I'd get in but not sure who goes out.

josie
30-03-2022, 12:23 AM

I think your logic is sound with caution regarding Garcia. If Crozier does not play maybe Williams in and McComb as the sub? Rory is a strong lad and covers a lot of ground. Maybe a run with role? Or VDM swap for MComb - not like for like but VDM offering little at present.

Mofra
30-03-2022, 09:28 AM
McComb played better... in a position he won't get an opportunity in at AFL level.
I expect Baz to come straight in which makes it harder to promote a running player from the VFL.

Baz for Crozier, Williams sub, O'Brien plays full VFL minutes to get more game time under his belt and come back in against the Tigers.

bornadog
30-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Bailey Smith is set to return from his hip injury that kept him out of last week's loss to Carlton. Hayden Crozier hasn't been ruled in or out of playing this week after his illness during last week's clash against the Blues, but would have to be in some doubt, as is Aaron Naughton with his calf injury. If Naughton doesn't get up then the Dogs could choose between Stefan Martin and Josh Schache, while Robbie McComb is pushing for an AFL debut after starring at VFL last week with 36 disposals and a goal.

R2 medical substitute: Bailey Williams (replaced Hayden Crozier)

Verdict: Smith in for Crozier. - Callum Twomey

I think Callum is spot on.

Mantis
30-03-2022, 11:17 AM
McComb played better... in a position he won't get an opportunity in at AFL level.
I expect Baz to come straight in which makes it harder to promote a running player from the VFL.

Baz for Crozier, Williams sub, O'Brien plays full VFL minutes to get more game time under his belt and come back in against the Tigers.

Should we bring in Williams for Cordy?

If he plays I think we should go 'small' on McDonald and try and work off him? Playing both Cordy & Gardner does nothing for our ball movement given neither regularly help to win the ball back.

Mantis
30-03-2022, 11:31 AM
Should we bring in Williams for Cordy?

If he plays I think we should go 'small' on McDonald and try and work off him? Playing both Cordy & Gardner does nothing for our ball movement given neither regularly help to win the ball back.

Cancel that.

Bevo just said in his press conference he was likely to go with Keath, Gardner & Cordy again to combat Sydney's 3 talls.

Vred
30-03-2022, 12:27 PM
Cancel that.

Bevo just said in his press conference he was likely to go with Keath, Gardner & Cordy again to combat Sydney's 3 talls.

Sydney to kick 250

Axe Man
30-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Sydney to kick 250

Mclean has kicked 3 goals for the year, McDonald 0. I am far more worried about their smaller goalkickers.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Article arguing Dogs are favourites v Sydney:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-30/could-swans-have-a-buddy-hangover-against-the-bulldogs-/100944154

bornadog
30-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Just listened to the press conference, and Crozier to play VFL, Smith back in.

Unless Bevo springs a surprise, there won't be any more changes.

mjp
30-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Cancel that.

Isn't this what we want though?

Keath and Gardner with support from either Cordy or O'Brien. O'Brien isn't fit so Cordy plays. They are then surrounded by Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel/Richards (one of these two plays higher). Clearly Williams is out of form so we need a plan b there but I would expect the Keath/Gardner combo to be there all year.

I know everyone hates Cordy and at times I understand it but I didn't really see him as the problem last week.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2022, 01:34 PM

Keath and Gardner with support from either Cordy or O'Brien. O'Brien isn't fit so Cordy plays. They are then surrounded by Williams, Dale, Duryea and Daniel/Richards (one of these two plays higher). Clearly Williams is out of form so we need a plan b there but I would expect the Keath/Gardner combo to be there all year.

I know everyone hates Cordy and at times I understand it but I didn't really see him as the problem last week.

I don't hate him. He's a work horse, does his role.
I never hated any player in our colours but got close with Akermanis.

Mantis
30-03-2022, 01:58 PM

Yep we look best when we have 3 tall options in defence, but at present we're playing 3 'stopping' talls who aren't doing much stopping and offer f-all else as offensive weapons.

So until O'Brien comes back who can offer an intercept option I'm questioning if the set-up we had last week and look likely to carry over into tomorrow nights game is the best option for us.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2022, 02:03 PM
Naughton playing, Crozier out

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/naughton-to-face-swans-in-boost-for-winless-dogs-20220330-p5a9bf.html

Axe Man
30-03-2022, 02:15 PM
Naughton to play, Smith to return against Swans (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1089966/naughton-to-play-smith-to-return-against-swans?fbclid=IwAR07AhDGWsTbeu5egS9N0ldiOEaf9hSZDOYnk075xs_c-HvsCwqnbaieBqs)

Senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed key forward Aaron Naughton will play in the clash with Sydney as the Western Bulldogs welcome back gun midfielder Bailey Smith.

The 2016 Bulldogs premiership coach also gave captain Marcus Bontempelli the all-clear despite concerns over an ankle injury that has lingered since round one.

Prime ball-winner Smith will bolster the Dogs' midfield against the Swans after missing round two with a minor hip complaint.

But it is Naughton who arguably shapes as the most crucial piece in Beveridge's plans to arrest a troubling 0-2 start to the season at Marvel Stadium on Thursday night.

The spearhead suffered a "deep cork" in a calf muscle in last week's defeat to Carlton.

"We trained the other day and we didn't put him through a full session but he's come through OK," Beveridge said.

"He'll be named in the team and he should be no worries to play, which is a bit of a relief.

"He's such a difficult player to handle for the opposition with his athletic traits and what he can do with his power and his desire to compete like he does."

Sydney's tall forward line - led by 1000-goal spearhead Lance Franklin, Hayden McLean and boom youngster Logan McDonald - poses a significant threat to the Bulldogs after Carlton's twin towers Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay combined for nine goals last week.

But Beveridge is confident Alex Keath, Ryan Gardner and Zaine Cordy can blunt the Swans' attack.

"I'm not overly concerned," Beveridge said.

"I back our boys in and they'll do a better job if they get pressure on the ball (further up the ground)."

Bontempelli spent plenty of time in attack late in the Carlton clash but Beveridge said the move was strategic, as opposed to a way to manage the skipper through the contest.

"Physically he'll be fine, he's had a pretty good week," Beveridge said.

"He carries niggles and discomfort with a great deal of resilience."

Bulldogs defender Hayden Crozier will be managed through three quarters of a reserves match this week after a scary episode when he fainted during the Carlton loss.

Mofra
30-03-2022, 02:20 PM
I'm wondering if Scott gets named as the sub again, and we run Williams on the wing to rollback as much as possible to play the 7th defender?

As much as I think Hunter is a wing (only) I expect to see him everywhere tomorrow night.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Bevo presser (on his best behavior again)

-Aaron will be fine. He will be picked in the team. It's a relief.
-Forward line is a work in progress. Especially with changes. Losing JJ was different.
-Currently going in with the one ruck at the moment. I know there has been some commentary about giving more support to Aaron.
-Marra was good last week. He made an impact. He did some good things.
-What is lost in last week's performance is that we had 10 goal kickers. We just needed a couple of more goals and to kick straighter.
-I would rather spread the goal load than rely on a few.
-We will be dynamic in the forward line, similar to last week. Hopefully we can kick straighter.
-Rampe isn't a tall defender. They are not super tall. When you consider we will have Aaron, Marra and Tim at times. We are not on the mosquito side. It is a balanced forward line.
-Marra and Mitch Hanan are going to be important. Mitch will need to compete in the air at times. He is equipped to do that.
-We didn't have our best outing at the 'scray. No one is banging the door down. There will not be a lot of change to the team this week.
-Bont's ankle is fine. Him being forward last week was more of a strategic move. We could afford to have him forward as we were in top in the middle in the second half.
-"Is it a concern tall forwards are getting the best of you?" Last week it wasn't contested marks. It was ball on the rebound into an open forward line. That is hard to defend. I'm not worried about it. We will go with a similar approach. I will back our boys in if we get more pressure on the ball. We need to halve some of those longer balls.
-Crozier had some testing. He is OK. He will play for Footscray as a precaution. He will play three quarters. Can't afford to risk at senior level.
-"Two rucks? Why have you gone away from it?" We believe Tim is really ready. He plays the turnover game really well. He is searching for presence at the ruck contests. First week was good. Last week was a tale of two halves. First half poor. Second half good. This allows us to play a medium player which is more versatile for us. Mitch had four hit outs. He was impressive. Zaine did a good job at a the centre bounce.
-Bevo believes that the 23rd player should be able to be used as a strategic sub
-Bailey Smith will come back into the team

Grantysghost
30-03-2022, 02:54 PM
The turnover game! It's his go to.

Thanks for summary AP awesome work.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Bevo sticks to his guns.

#1 He is going to continue to play the one ruck. No surprises there. Even though we played our best footy last year early with two rucks and then in then again in the Prelim. He definitely has a strong philosophy around this and wont budge. He also said that Tim is stepping up but then drops that he wasn't good in the first half last week.

#2 Backline. He appears to have more confidence in our back six than me. Hopefully the boys can get the job done but we look vulnerable without any players really putting their hand up or even putting pressure on the boys we have back there. I do agree that last week the Blues scored 45 points in the first half from turnovers. Zero in the second half. The backline did look a lot better in that second half. So I do understand what he is saying. We really need Bailey Dale and Bailey Williams to have good games and make those intercept marks. They did that really well last year for the most part.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2022, 03:02 PM
Intercept marks last year Bulldogs. Average.

Keath 1.9
Wood 1.7
Williams 1.6
Duryea 1.5
English 1.4
Crozier 1.2
Schache 1.2
Gardner 1.1
Dale 1

With no Wood. Keath playing a more lock down role. Williams not in the best form and Duryea out of the team to begin the season, you can see how we struggled in this area in the first two weeks.

comrade
30-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Bevo referring to Hannan’s 4 hitouts and mentioning Cordy’s centre bounce work tells me all I need to know.

Mofra
30-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Intercept marks last year Bulldogs. Average.

Keath 1.9
Wood 1.7
Williams 1.6
Duryea 1.5
English 1.4
Crozier 1.2
Schache 1.2
Gardner 1.1
Dale 1

With no Wood. Keath playing a more lock down role. Williams not in the best form and Duryea out of the team to begin the season, you can see how we struggled in this area in the first two weeks.
We did identify it as a problem - hence we sought out O'Brien. I really hope he's ready sooner rather than later.

angelopetraglia
30-03-2022, 03:51 PM
We did identify it as a problem - hence we sought out O'Brien. I really hope he's ready sooner rather than later.

Last season we did not have a player in the top 26 in the league for intercept marks. It is a massive deficiency. Other teams always appear to have multiple players who can play this role against us.

Top 10 Last Year

Lever 102
Andrews 88
Allir 87
Jones 79
Weitering 70
Stewart 62
Taylor 61
Ballard 60
Doedee 60
May 57

Mantis
30-03-2022, 04:13 PM
Bevo referring to Hannan’s 4 hitouts and mentioning Cordy’s centre bounce work tells me all I need to know.

I thought Hannan was ok around the ground in the ruck and probably competes more physically than Tim who is seemingly always caught behind. As mentioned by Bevo Hannan was nimble enough to react to poor throw-ins and get his hand to the ball... not sure we can rely on this tactic though.

Cordy did win 2 free's at the CB when pushed out the way, but he shouldn't be in there.

comrade
30-03-2022, 04:19 PM
I thought Hannan was ok around the ground in the ruck and probably competes more physically than Tim who is seemingly always caught behind. As mentioned by Bevo Hannan was nimble enough to react to poor throw-ins and get his hand to the ball... not sure we can rely on this tactic though.

Cordy did win 2 free's at the CB when pushed out the way, but he shouldn't be in there.

It’s more the fact he’s doubling down and publicly rationalising a flawed approach to such a critical part of the game that is concerning. I understand that he’s not going to admit he’s wrong at a press conference even if he is planning on changing course, but I doubt that is actually on the cards. It’s Timmy going solo or bust and even if we did want to go with 2 genuine ruck options, Stef and Sweet are not the types to pair with English anyway.

We put all our eggs in one basket and now we live with the consequences.

Mantis
30-03-2022, 04:49 PM
It’s more the fact he’s doubling down and publicly rationalising a flawed approach to such a critical part of the game that is concerning. I understand that he’s not going to admit he’s wrong at a press conference even if he is planning on changing course, but I doubt that is actually on the cards. It’s Timmy going solo or bust and even if we did want to go with 2 genuine ruck options, Stef and Sweet are not the types to pair with English anyway.

Yep.. with Tim as our #1 ruck who we look to have spending 70+% game time in that role we really don't have another option on the list, except perhaps Schache to fill the role with the type of player the role needs, but he can't nail down the spot.. so we all better get used to losing our minds!

Mofra
30-03-2022, 05:17 PM
Tim is actually a very good ruckman except for the actual ruck aspect of the craft.
Does his 'other' stuff account for his lack of actual ruck craft? At this stage he's basically Dean Cox without the hit-outs.

Given we gave Ayce Cordy an extended run over Minson back in the day, we can safely assume that 'around the ground' work ranks higher than hit-outs on the Bevo scale of importance.

bornadog
30-03-2022, 05:20 PM
Yep.. with Tim as our #1 ruck who we look to have spending 70+% game time in that role we really don't have another option on the list, except perhaps Schache to fill the role with the type of player the role needs, but he can't nail down the spot.. so we all better get used to losing our minds!

We can whinge all season about the rucks, but it is what it is.

From Presser

Luke Beveridge: "We feel Tim is really ready. His role has evolved, we're doing it a bit differently with how we play the turnover game & how he sets up at stoppages. Last year when we lost Brucey, we needed Tim fwd."

bornadog
30-03-2022, 05:23 PM
Tim is actually a very good ruckman except for the actual ruck aspect of the craft.
Does his 'other' stuff account for his lack of actual ruck craft? At this stage he's basically Dean Cox without the hit-outs.

Given we gave Ayce Cordy an extended run over Minson back in the day, we can safely assume that 'around the ground' work ranks higher than hit-outs on the Bevo scale of importance.

Listening in the car to Dwayne yesterday, he was saying is Tim the new way that rucks should play with his work around the ground. Said Gawn and Grundy have not been as effective this year to date like Tim has.

20 and 24 disposals and 6 marks in each game

2022 Games Log for Timothy English (Western Bulldogs)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 2
Mar 24
Blues (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-carlton-blues)
Loss 90-102 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10553)

Round 1
Mar 16
Demons (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)
Loss 71-97 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10544)

whythelongface
30-03-2022, 05:26 PM

Not sure what else he can say though given our inadequate options in this dept. it is obvious Sweet hasn’t come on as expected (as yet) and Martin - just seems to be struggling with age. The wider issue as we all bang on about is having further options in this area.

Right now make shift options are our best bet. Granted it is not great but if Hannan can chop out in the ruck in the forward line then this at least provides English with some respite. The bigger issue will be if English suffers a long term injury. Then we are well and truly stuffed

bornadog
30-03-2022, 06:47 PM
Sam Landsberger reporting a positive Covid case, but not sure who?

whythelongface
30-03-2022, 06:55 PM

Us or Swans? Mitch Cleary indicating that Swans have landed without one of their stars.

azabob
30-03-2022, 07:23 PM
ROUND 3 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Sydney
Thursday 31 March, 7.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Alex Keath, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale
C: Jack Macrae, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter
HF: Cody Weightman, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Smith
F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
R: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Roarke Smith, Tom Liberatore, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott
Emer: Jordon Sweet, Robbie McComb, Mitch Wallis, Bailey Williams

In: Bailey Smith
Out: Hayden Crozier (managed), Bailey Williams (Medi-Sub)

azabob
30-03-2022, 07:23 PM
In: Bailey Smith
Out: Hayden Crozier (managed), Bailey Williams (Medi-Sub)

azabob
30-03-2022, 07:25 PM

Stef Martin apparently.
Was in the mix to play according to the herald sun.

Testekill
30-03-2022, 07:36 PM
I know that nobody really played well in the VFL outside of McComb but it's really frustrating to roll with the same team a third week in a row with one or two changes.

Hunter has to repay the faith and kill it, he's been diabolical through both the season and preseason and we can't just keep him in the team based on his efforts.

Jeanette54
30-03-2022, 07:42 PM
Looking at our selected side (Baz for Crozier) i would be very tempted to play Jamarra on a half forward flank. Give him room to move and develop his forward skills without being crashed by bigger bodies. Let him lead up to the ball coming in. He is a superb lead and distance, with his kicking ability, is not a problem.

Hotdog60
30-03-2022, 07:43 PM
Bevo mentioned that no one in the VFL has put their hand up and he's kinda right which is disappointing.
In the VFL I heard that Sweet was second fiddle to Martin and going on age it should be the other way round.

Danjul
30-03-2022, 07:44 PM

in the first half of the season last year either Martin or Sweet played in every game and it was remarkably successful. When neither played things started going off the rails.

I watched Tim very carefully last week and he was a disaster at the centre bounce. Most of the time he couldn’t get his hand near the ball and when he did he hit it dforward to the Melbourne player who set up there. Gave them at least 4 breakaway clearances. Our midfielders were trying to defend, displaying no faith in their own ruckman. That’s why the scoreboard was saying 14 hitouts to advantage to two early in the second half.

In every other aspect of the game he was a superstar. If you want him in the centre make him the rover. He actually played that role well a few times

whythelongface
30-03-2022, 07:49 PM
I know that nobody really played well in the VFL outside of McComb but it's really frustrating to roll with the same team a third week in a row with one or two changes.

Hunter has to repay the faith and kill it, he's been diabolical through both the season and preseason and we can't just keep him in the team based on his efforts.

But isn’t that the problem? I mean if there is no one playing well at the VFL how can you expect changes to made. There is no justification hence basically the same team three weeks in a row. Not sure what else to expect.

Testekill
30-03-2022, 07:52 PM
But isn’t that the problem? I mean if there is no one playing well at the VFL how can you expect changes to made. There is no justification hence basically the same team three weeks in a row. Not sure what else to expect.

That's why I said it's frustrating, we don't even have the luxury to bring in players that performed well in the VFL because there were none.

Axe Man
30-03-2022, 07:54 PM
Logan McDonald dropped for the Swans after 0 goals and 11 possessions in the first 2 rounds. Since he was taken 3 picks after Jamarra in the same draft I look forward to the media pile that JUH would receive in those circumstances. :rolleyes:

bornadog
30-03-2022, 07:55 PM

I thought he played well in the second half

Danjul
30-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Bevo mentioned that no one in the VFL has put their hand up and he's kinda right which is disappointing.
In the VFL I heard that Sweet was second fiddle to Martin and going on age it should be the other way round.
I watched a bit of that game and for quite a while I didn’t think Sweet was actually playing. Martin had a lot of time in the ruck, he looked fit and keen but was too old to jump. Don’t expect Sweet to do anything other than go backwards.

GVGjr
30-03-2022, 08:38 PM
I watched a bit of that game and for quite a while I didn’t think Sweet was actually playing. Martin had a lot of time in the ruck, he looked fit and keen but was too old to jump. Don’t expect Sweet to do anything other than go backwards.

As feared during the trade period where we couldn't add a ruckman we are very thin for viable options. Hannan appears to be our back-up option replacing Lewy Young from last year..

Sweet looks a fair way off the mark but has moved onto the emergency list for us. Martin doesn't look like he is moving well enough

It's perplexing to work out what we can do with our ruck set-up.

EasternWest
30-03-2022, 08:43 PM
As feared during the trade period where we couldn't add a ruckman we are very thin for viable options. Hannan appears to be our back-up option replacing Lewy Young from last year..

Sweet looks a fair way off the mark but has moved onto the emergency list for us. Martin doesn't look like he is moving well enough

https://i.postimg.cc/QM4FrhRg/images-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Then a hero comes along....

Dry Rot
30-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Logan McDonald dropped for the Swans after 0 goals and 11 possessions in the first 2 rounds. Since he was taken 3 picks after Jamarra in the same draft I look forward to the media pile that JUH would receive in those circumstances. :rolleyes:

I am more worried about McDonald's replacement

Joel Amartey is a very promising young tall who plays forward and ruck.

If Keath goes with Franklin (good luck with that), then who goes with Amartey and McLean?

We are going to get hammered.

Grantysghost
30-03-2022, 09:28 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/QM4FrhRg/images-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Then a hero comes along....

No way we get a first rounder when he cracks it this time!

ratsmac
30-03-2022, 11:23 PM

Mid season draft is our only hope

1eyedog
30-03-2022, 11:30 PM
That's why I said it's frustrating, we don't even have the luxury to bring in players that performed well in the VFL because there were none.

The team we need to beat Sydney is generally in place. Some confidence and form would be nice!

Mantis
31-03-2022, 08:16 AM
I am more worried about McDonald's replacement

Joel Amartey is a very promising young tall who plays forward and ruck.

If Keath goes with Franklin (good luck with that), then who goes with Amartey and McLean?

We are going to get hammered.

Gardner goes with McLean and Cordy goes to Amartey…. If they can’t keep them in check then we’re in big strife.

Mofra
31-03-2022, 09:02 AM
We generally struggle with mid-sizers more than genuine talls (Curnow plays like a mid-sizer as he's so mobile).
Isaac Heeney is the danger guy. Buddy can kick from 60m so defences get a little more stretched when he plays, which gives Heeney the chance to run and jump.

bornadog
31-03-2022, 09:16 AM
Mid season draft is our only hope

We will need a spot.

angelopetraglia
31-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Mitch Wallis is the only emergency not playing in the VFL.